State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm Auto Insurance Logo

8.2

State Farm Auto Insurance

Provides coverage to Canada

State Farm is one of the nation's leading insurance companies as they have been around the block a time or two in their 92 years of service. One of the leading aspects of the company is their network of agents across the nation and Canada, and also that they take pride in serving others, such as taking part in community help efforts across the nation.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Price range
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • Online support

Coverage Features

The coverage options are fairly thorough and should meet the needs of most consumers. All of the essential options are available, from liability and medical payments to car rental and emergency road service. Besides auto insurance, State Farm offers a wide range of other types of insurance and services to cover home, property, health, life and many other needs. In fact, there's very little they don't offer. Besides insurance, they also offer a wide range of banking and financial services.

• Liability Coverage (Property Damage and Bodily Injury Liability) pays out damages to another individual and their property should the policyholder be at-fault. This covers damage to the other's personal property and loss of its use, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
  • Medical Payments Coverage pays a reasonable amount for necessary medical and/or funeral expenses should the policyholder or any passengers be harmed in an accident.
  • Collision Coverage pays for damages caused to the covered vehicle in the event of a collision with another vehicle or objects, as well as rollovers.
  • Comprehensive Coverage will protect the vehicle should a natural disaster occur, damaging the vehicle, as well as protection from theft, vandalism and colliding with animals.
  • Un/Underinsured Motorist Coverage pays for damages to the policy holder's vehicle caused by drivers without, or with little, protection. It also covers necessary medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering for the owner and any passengers injured in the event of an accident.
  • Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage helps pay for a rental when the damaged vehicle is in the shop for repairs after a collision. Daily allowances and limits vary by state.
  • Emergency Road Service is an add-on option providing members with towing, mechanical labor, gas and oil delivery, flat tire assistance, locksmiths, and even jumpstarts. There are two coverage options: Coverage H, which State Farm will carry the financial burden, or basic, which will provide the policyholder with a competitive rate negotiated by the company.

Price Range

Despite being one of the largest insurance companies on the market, State Farm manages to offer reasonable rates ranging from $184 to $230, which puts them in line with smaller, more aggressive insurance companies. They also offer a few good discounts, such as vehicle safety, safe driving, multiple lines, and good student discounts that can save policyholders a good bit of money on their premiums, while encouraging good driving and responsible behavior.

Service Coverage

State Farm offers their products and services in all 50 states and throughout Canada, with 18,000 agent offices. Prospective policyholders are going to be able to find an agent somewhere nearby, so sitting down face-to-face to discuss policy options is easier with State Farm than with almost any other insurance company. For people who prefer to deal directly with another human being, it's hard to beat State Farm.

Discounts

• Multiple-line
  • Drive safe and save
  • Steer clear

Online Support

Most websites that aggregate reviews of State Farm products and services give the company higher than average marks. The most common praise seems to be directed at State Farm agents who often go out of their way to help customers. Many people love having the personal connection with a local agent who is available to answer questions and meet needs at a moment's notice. This certainly helps to eliminate the feeling that customers are dealing with a big faceless organization. Overall, this seems to be a particular strength of State Farm.

The Bad

• Response time
  • Limited educational materials

Response Times

State Farms receives many compliments online about the hard work and personal touch of local agents, but there have been hundreds of complaints across a number of websites about the response time from claims representatives. It seems that many claims have been processed slowly. Though it is difficult to tell just how common this problem is, there are enough complaints about it that consumers should be aware of this. It might be possible that once you go beyond the local agent, the sheer size of the company becomes a problem, and some customers feel like they get lost in the shuffle at that point.

Limited Educational Materials

Online, State Farm has a learning and resource center that is helpful but a bit on the slim side compared to the websites of many of their competitors. While it offers a good deal of basic information about many of their products and services, it could certainly go into quite a bit more detail. Perhaps they expect local agents to fill in these details, but for those who like to do their research online, they will wish there was more available on the State Farm website.

The Bottom Line

Ultimately, State Farm is a massive company that manages to make a personal connection with their customers through the availability of local agents. This is possible because of the sheer number of agents across the country, in every state and throughout Canada. This is a huge mark in their favor because it means customer have a personal connection with the company, which can make things less stressful in case of an accident or emergency.

State Farm rates are reasonable, though there are certainly more affordable options out there. They provide some good discounts, though some companies offer more extensive discount options. However, consumers are still likely to find what they are looking for at State Farm. Overall, the company offers stability, good rates and a personal touch, and despite being a massive company and they have managed to resolve thousands of customer complaints.

Melissa Gillings
September 17th, 2018

When my husband was rear ended we called our State Farm rep to have the car repaired. I was given a list of phone numbers to call and had to run to several different locations to have the car adjusted, then arrange for the repair. I was also responsible to arrange the rental car and pay the shop. Once they got the check I was reimbursed, but it was a HUGE hassle. For what I may every month for full coverage it was not very consumer friendly.

Kimberly Maddock
September 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE! Hands down. I was hit by a car (their fault) and State Farm took care of me when the other drivers insurance would not respond to my calls. They went above and beyond. They took care of me getting my car back and going and then on their time, went after the other drivers insurance. I can't recommend them enough. I will forever be with State Farm.

James Larson
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We were able to get insurance for our second home (a cabin), which is not easy to do with most insurance agencies. They were very helpful in combining all our insurance needs into one.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Local agent was very helpful in getting fast quotes. On my first auto insurance policy, the agent knew me by name, called on my birthday, and cared for me as a customer.

Leslie
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

My vehicle was getting older and I had no violations on my record but State Farm kept raising my rates. What seemed to be a great deal when I was comparing rates ended up costing me a ton more.

Shanna
August 27th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Always beats our competitors price, we can never change our policy because we have such a great rate.

Kristiane R Durfey
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When we first got married my husband had insurance with State Farm but I had it with a different company. We kept it that way until his renewal came up and then ended up switching his to mine because the rates were a little cheaper. They were a good company, we just went with the lower payments.

Tilda
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Great customer service, fast service and reliable.

Kris
August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had State Farm insurance for all our children’s cars. There is always someone available and willing to help in the customer service department.

Lesa Burgess
August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My car insurance has been State Farm for many years. Overall, I've always had a great customer service experience with them. I’ve had to deal with them and I never had an awful customer service experience.

Dave Brinton
August 20th, 2018

Great customer service. Always looking for ways to save money with better coverage.

Becky Rasmussen
August 20th, 2018 American Fork, UT

State Farm offers competitive rates for families with teen drivers and a great customer loyalty incentive that reduces rates for customers who stay with them for longer terms. They provide a local presences with assigned insurance agents in brick and mortar offices in your community. The billing is handled professionally through corporate headquarters and your customer service experience can vary depending on whether or not you call the 1-800 number or your local insurance agent. The financial stability of the company is strong to indemnify catastrophic events.

Atelia
August 17th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Good company but sometimes Sales Rep are not.

Bella Houtz
August 17th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I can’t complain about the service but the rates aren’t always the best. Trustworthy company.

jordan cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have used state farm on two separate occasions including for my car insurance now. They have always been friendly and provided good service. When i did need help they were available and helpful.

Sandra Jensen
July 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

A great company. Helped us many times and did a great job.

Cody Linden
July 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I was in a car accident, where a truck pulling a trailer swiped my car. Having never been in an accident before I was unsure of how to proceed. I called State Farm to report the incident and they walked me through the entire process and kept in contact with me. I was happy with how they handled the situation.

Tyler Dean Graham
July 23rd, 2018 Acworth, GA

Excellent Customer Service- I talk to a live human every time I call.

Bob Conley
July 19th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

I liked my agent, but prices frequently increased and, at one point, they stopped writing insurance in my state. To my knowledge, they don't have local claims offices. When big storms hit our area, we were dealing with many people who were not familiar with our state. I found that others were getting better service with a local company.

Sharon Reed
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We insured many cars at the same time and had a couple of accidents. They always took care of our family.

Justin Vance
July 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Agents seem to come and go because I heard from them often when we became a new account, but haven’t heard from them since. I suppose that’s okay since I don’t like being bothered, but the silence is suggesting the agent is gone and I’m now the property of the greater company. I like paying online and the response during the claim process.

Kristy Williams
July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have had a great experience with State Farm. Their customer service is excellent and when we bought our car, our agent suggested we go through State Farm for our financing and they were able to give us the best interest rate!

Alicia Holman
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I liked my agent, but didn't like that the rates continued to go up. Also, the initial rates aren't very competitive compared to what is given. There's definitely no accident forgiveness!

Shelene Cooley
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great friendly service. Always ready to answer any questions we have when we call. Their website is very helpful. Anytime we have needed to file a claim, it was a smooth process.

Foote
July 9th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

They have always been reasonable in pricing and never seem to not want to help us save money.

king
July 9th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Good rates, good customer service

Raven Trujillo
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have been with State Farm for 15 years and are pleased with their service. They keep us updated on discounts that we are eligible for.

Jess Root
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

The coverage was solid. The one time we had to file a claim, it was processed quickly. We had a great experience with our agent, but it was a bit pricier than other insurances.

Kaleb Herbert
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have had State Farm since I was 16. I have had 2 different agents, both very knowledgeable and readily available. We were very happy with the outcome after our car was totaled a few years ago. It was fast and pain free.

michelle l pierce
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have had State Farm in the past, Our agents have always been very helpful and nice. Just the rates were to high.

Mary g Lobue
July 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

State Farm agents are very friendly and seem to always go out of their way to help you when needed with follow up and closer. Service is outstanding!

Druw Bernal
June 22nd, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I have been with State Farm auto insurance for the past 18 years. What’s your name I have only been in one accident. Mike was Amazing through the entire situation, and treated me more like family than a client. Having a son that will turn 16 soon, I am confident I will get the best rate and the best service through State Farm

Chase Rohner
June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

State farm is a very reliable insurance company.

Brayden D.
June 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

State Farm Auto Insurance is my all time favorite insurance company and I will be with them till the end.

Nana Asiata
June 11th, 2018 Herriman, UT

State farm is a good auto insurance. My car tire blow out on the free way and called my auto insurance for help. It took about hour half to get help. Service was fast and we didn't have to get out the car to fix the tire.

Tami Allen
June 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have been with State Farm for over 25 years. They provide our personal insurance needs, as well as those of our small business. Their prices are competitive and fair. We have had several claims over the years, (with a few teenage drivers), and they have always been dealt with quickly, and fairly. Our State Farm agent has become a family friend, and someone I can count on to be there, day or night no matter what the situation. I feel so grateful to know that our insurance is handled by true professionals who care about the people they serve.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

State Farm Auto Insurance is the best insurance company around. I have had them for many years and they have always come through when I needed them.

Burke Tagney
June 5th, 2018 Saint Cloud, MN DETAILS

Overall I had sub-par experience with State Farm, however there were some glaring issues that were very annoying. 1. My premium raised three times in about 15 months, for no apparent reason that could be explained to me as I had no violations or any change in driving habits. 2. For a claim, I was told that they would not cover my hood because of previous hail damage, however that information was not disclosed to me when I started my policy and met with my agent. 3. In regards to that claim, I was told I couldn't speak with my agent and that I had to work with somebody else, which made me question why I had an agent in the first place! Overall, the insurance was expensive and the price only continued to rise, and the most positives that I can give, is that they paid out my claim for damage quickly. I also realize that this might be an experience with a bad agent, but It's going to be a long time before I look back into State Farm.

Dedward Schneider
June 4th, 2018 Yermo, CA DETAILS

Paul is our agent and his staff are so very kind, and explains every little detail.

Karen Pitz
June 4th, 2018 Marshville, NC DETAILS

Bad customer service..price went up over $1000.