Best Company Guarantee State Farm Auto Insurance Logo

State Farm Auto Insurance

8.2

LAST UPDATED: October 21st, 2021

State Farm has a long history in the insurance industry and a strong reputation. If you're looking for a trustworthy insurance company, you don't need to look further.

State Farm offers many types of coverage that you could include in your policy. This allows you to have the coverage you need. You can buy coverage specifically for rideshare driving, antique or classic cars, and commercial car insurance.

Read State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Postive Customer Reviews
  • Good Coverage Options
  • Rideshare Insurance
  • Policies for Antique and Classic Cars
  • Commercial Auto Insurance
  • Nice Discounts
  • Online Quote
  • Simple Insights®

Positive Reviews

State Farm reviews on Best Company are overwhelmingly positive and reflect a high level of customer satisfaction.

Auto insurance customers mention claims satisfaction, State Farm's dependability, and good customer service.

Reviewers also trust their State Farm agent. Some positive reviews comment on the fairness of rates. Other positive reviews mention switching to another auto insurance company for a lower rate.

Because State Farm has earned high praise from customer reviews for its auto coverage, it has our recommendation.

Good Coverage Options

State Farm offers excellent coverage with its car insurance policies. You can include the following types of coverage in your insurance plan:

• Collision coverage
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Liability coverage (bodily injury and property damage)
  • Personal liability umbrella coverage (beyond bodily injury and property damage)
  • Car rental and travel expenses coverage
  • Rental car coverage (repays up to $500 of the deductible expense if you have an accident in a rental car)
  • Uninsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage (for covered person and covered person's passengers)
  • Emergency road service coverage

With so many coverage options, you'll be able to find a car insurance product that meets your needs.

Rideshare Insurance

If you drive for a company like Uber or Lyft, you can add rideshare driver insurance coverage to your personal auto policy.

This rideshare coverage add-on covers all the insurance gaps you have as a rideshare driver. This additional protection allows you to have the coverage you need whenever you drive.

Policies for Antique and Classic Cars

State Farm stands out from other insurers because it offers policies for antique and classic cars.

To qualify for this kind of auto insurance policy, your car must be at least 10 years old, be in good condition or in restoration, stored in an enclosed building, and have limited use.

You can purchase liability, medical payments or no fault, comprehensive, collision, uninsured motor vehicle, and underinsured motor vehicle coverage. You can also add emergency roadside service to your policy.

Commercial Auto Insurance

If driving is part of your business, you'll like the commercial auto insurance policies.

State Farm's business auto insurance policies can include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, personal injury or medical payments, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

If your employees drive their own cars for your business, you can benefit from State Farm's Employers Non-owned Car Liability (ENOL) coverage.

Nice Discounts

Like many car insurance companies, State Farm offers many different types of discounts.

• Drive Safe and Save ™ (discount based on your driving habits)
  • Steer Clear ® (discount if you're under 25 with no at-fault accidents)
  • Defensive driving course (take an approved drivers safety class)
  • Good driving (3+ years without moving violations or at-fault accidents)
  • Vehicle safety (based on your car's repair records, adjusted annually for cars made after 1993)
  • Passive restraint (for cars made before 1994 that have a factory-installed air bag)
  • Anti-theft (car has approved anti-theft device)
  • Driver training (drivers under age 21 who complete an approved driver education course)
  • Good student (teens)
  • Student Away at School (student under age 25 at school and only uses car when at home)
  • Multiple autos insured

You can also bundle policies (homeowners insurance , renters insurance, condo insurance, life insurance) with auto insurance to save.

With all of these discount opportunities, you're likely to save on your insurance rates.

Online Quote and Claims

State Farm makes it easy to get an insurance premium quote and file a claim online. You can also find local repair shops on its site. These features make State Farm easy to work with at your convenience.

If you prefer to work with an insurance agent, State Farm has many agents across the United States. You'll benefit from their personalized service.

Simple Insights®

State Farm also manages a blog called Simple Insights ® to help visitors learn about car insurance and how it works.

In addition to this blog, State Farm has FAQs on its site and even a helpful page to help you decide whether or not to buy additional insurance when you rent a car.

The Bad

• No Quote Comparison Available
  • May Not Be Available in Mexico

No Quote Comparison Available

State Farm sells its own car insurance policies. If you want to compare quotes from multiple insurers online, you'll need to work with each one directly or use a comparison site. This lack of quote comparison can be inconvenient if you're in the first shopping phase.

However, State Farm is a trusted insurer, has excellent policies, and offers many types of discounts, so you're likely to find a cost-effective insurance policy.

May Not Be Available in Mexico

Some car insurers sell policies that work in Mexico. These policies are important if you plan to drive your car in Mexico. Since State Farm doesn't mention a policy like this on its site, you probably need to find another company if you plan to drive in Mexico.

The Bottom Line

State Farm is an excellent choice for car insurance. It has a strong reputation and offers many different kinds of coverage. With all of these options, you'll find the coverage you need for your car.

You may need to look for another company if you plan to drive in Mexico. However, rideshare drivers, businesses, and people with classic or antique cars benefit from State Farm car insurance that is geared to cover gaps and meet specific needs.

You'll also benefit from the many discounts that State Farm offers policyholders. These discounts will help you be a better driver and save money.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Q Kelly Hallandale, FL

Are use state farm insurance for my home auto and business for close to 10 years or more they bundled everything that they could I have nothing bad to say about state farm once the pandemic started and I sold my vehicle I disconnected my services with state state farm I would gladly recommend them to all of my friends and family

3 hours ago

Christopher posey Bettendorf, IA

I have been a customer for 48 years. That about says it all! My latest success story was I was hit from behind at a stop, the car that hit me was going at least 45 MPH and hit me so hard that my car pushed 2 cars in front of me. State Farm paid me up front then went after the drivers insurance company on my behalf. The other 2 cars insurance companies tried to get me to pay for their car’s damages and State Farm told them what they could do with that thought!😄

LeAnn Baytown, TX

Been with StateFarm for 15 years. My husband has been with them for 35 years. We use a local agent, and they know us when we call the office. We have great rates too because we have been with them so long and we have been pretty lucky to not have many claims. They have always taken good care of us when we needed them.

Tina Brandon Norman Park, GA

We have been with State Farm for 35+ years. The premiums are competitive and the response to accidents are very prompt. Customer service is fantastic and they were very caring. Their first question is always did anyone get hurt. Not how much damage did you do.

Fred Van Liew Carrollton, TX

We have been with State Farm for our Autos and Home insurance. I love that they don't nickel and dime legitimate damages, and they reject false claims that then make possible their outstanding service. We have been with them so long that we have had to use their services multiple times. Always extraordinary. Love our agent and love the back up from State Farm.

Anthony Pelchat Atlanta, GA

Overall great as long as you don't make any mistakes. They will screw you over big time if you run into any financial issues, no matter how long you have been a good customer.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

I have them right now and am pretty happy with them so far. Customer service is helpful and informative. Rates, when I last shopped around, where the cheapest for what I'm getting. This of course considering a reputable insurance company. You can always get cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Art Reno, NV

In many years of dealing with insurance companies, I have discovered they start you out with a "teaser" rate and constantly increase the premium, even with no claims. If you are on one of those auto pay deals, you might never notice the increases. That happened to me with AAA, and I never signed up for auto pay with anybody again. Then I went to Geico and the same thing happened. Now, with State Farm, it is happening again. New insurance company time!

Andrea Thomas Bellevue, WA

State Farm (SF) helped us with so many of our needs, especially with Auto Insurance! We had a plan elsewhere that they showed us loopholes that could have cost us dearly. Now, we are fully covered for only $10 more a month. I couldn’t believe it! I always recommend SF to those looking at insurance options.

Marlene Coville Blakeslee, PA

When I wanted to change companies last year I went to an internet company that let me choose about five different companies to choose. After putting extensive information into the computer about ourselves, many companies called/ and contacted us by email. Only one sent us a letter and a real quote, you guessed it, State Farm. Even though it was about 45 minutes away we gave our business to this particular State Farm because she took the time to get to know us and gave us a wonderful deal for our home, and car.

Pauline Abernathy Tucker, GA

I have been to fortunate to have this dedicated auto insurance on my side! Very well organized and efficient.

1 day ago

sunday toler Matthews, NC

This is a great and reliable company. I know I am protected and they will pay out if need be. I have had my car fixed before and they even provided a rental car.

Yael Lynchburg, VA

I have had State Farm auto insurance for years in the past and lost their products and services. One of the best customer service teams to work with in the industry, highly recommend to family and friends.

David Cape Coral, FL

After being with many insurance companies, I can make a comment about most of them. State Farm has been one of the best. For me, the prices are unbeatable. They respond well to problems and are easy to work with. The product is good and versatile. I have had many companies try to switch me over but no one even comes close to their prices.

Qlink Loser Red Wing, MN

Great company. Love it when I walk into a company and they all know my name! I have had them since high school. Nope not going to say how long! Just 1 thing bad. I didn't like that when I wanted life insurance they wanted too much information!

Toni Montuori

I have received excellent premiums on all my auto over the years. Customer service is friendly, informative, easy and efficient. I especially like that they provide ample advanced billing notices and any changes I asked to make to my coverage was done immediately and without question.

Erin Farnsworth Orem, UT

We have used State Farm Auto Insurance for two cars for almost 5 years and have loved the experience. The rates are reasonable and we can easily get discounts with good driving. The only minor complaint I have is even though we have updated our preferences multiple times, they can NOT seem to go paperless! We get so much mail from them that we've already received via email and only keep the yearly copy of our policies that they send us. So if you can get past constant extra mail and are a safe driver, definitely worth it.

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

I have used State Farm for many years for my Auto Insurance and they have always been amazing to work with. They are quick to answer any questions I have, and actually explain things for me instead of just a "yes or "no" answer.

Jeff Dallas, TX

I was with State Farm for over 20 years. I used them for EVERYTHING. Auto, home, renters, even to insure my wife's wedding ring. Never had to file a claim so I have no experience there. But out of the blue they started raising my rates on my car and home insurance. Out of loyalty I stayed with them but after the second year of my homeowners insurance doubling, I had to leave. I went to an independent insurance agent who wrote me with different companies and my monthly insurance bill went down 62%. I'll never be "loyal" to a company again. I wasted a lot of money before I left. Customer service was always top notch.

Lynnie Burden Jasper, IN

They found me a lower rate then I have been paying! And they lower your rate even more by the way you drive!! And thanks to chad for giving us the details!

paul desvignes Atlanta, GA

I've been a customer of State Farms for over 20 years in Metro Atlanta. Every relationship has its highs and lows but for me State Farms has been a "Good Neighbor " from day 1. My agent has been my source of financial stability over the years in helping me tailor my insurance needs to protect my family, properties, vehicles, and investments.

loren Riverton, UT

My family has only used State Farm, and we have been so impressed. Whenever we need something, we can call and are transferred to a well trained and polite agent. They want to give you what’s best for a great price.

Autumn Mccard American Canyon, CA

I have been with StateFarm for over a decade and they have always been wonderful! I have never had any issue with them and when it comes to financial hardships they will work with you !!

Sherry Pitts Fort Walton Beach, FL

State Farm has been the best insurance company for my family. They are there for not only auto insurance but for your home and life insurance. They have saved our family over the years alot of money . Thank you State Farm at Courtney Simpson

JW Zionsville, IN

Have State Farm for Auto and Homeowners and they have been so great to work with. Had to go through claims a few times dealing with non-fault accident and they were prompt, though could be at times a bit disorganized. I easily escalated to management and between the supervisor and me, we were able to get the claims adjuster back on track and handling claims properly. But, you did have to do your part in keeping a tab on everyone trying to charge your policy. Good experience through a bad time.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I have used State Farm Auto Insurance for 10 years now and have been very happy with their services. Thankfully I haven't had to use the insurance much, but the few times I have they are very quick to refund me my money. I also really enjoyed that they gave me a discount for good grades while I was in High School and College.

Rjalbano Denver, CO

I've been a customer for over 20 years, and every time I need to add or change something with my policy, the staff at our local branch office (Randy J., Colorado) is absolutely amazing. I always feel they have my best interest in mind, and explain everything so I am comfortable with my decisisons.

Roger Cohn Tucson, AZ

I have been with State Farm for many years now (since 1978). I have had very few claims but when I do it's taken care of immediately. But most people today are interested in one thing, Premiums. Every couple of years I go to the trouble of putting my business out for bid. No one has yet to beat State Farm for all coverage. I have auto and motorcycle and also home, umbrella, commercial building and auto.

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

Been using them for over 30 years and never been disappointed. Easy to get a hold of in emergencies and always polite.

Tracy Howard Gilbert, AZ

State Farm has always offered me the best coverage at the best price. I also enjoy the benefit of having a personal insurance agent in my home town.

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I’m using this insurance currently and they offer great deals for student drivers so that’s very helpful and they aren’t too expensive

GCeres Washington, NC

The agents I've used from State Farm have always been well informed and are extremely friendly. That's pretty much where the good starts and the rip offs begin. Since they exist as most insurance companies do on an employee pay scale of commissions their agents do try to use pressure tactics to get you into plans that are unnecessary. They also do not do price comparisons like Progressive does. As a result I was paying roughly $1,500 EXTRA a year to State Farm for IDENTICAL coverage I later found through Progressive. Their price gouging for coverage that was the same elsewhere at almost 80% cheaper costs make them an untrustworthy company in my opinion.

Barbara Porter CA

We had State Farm Insurance for our multiple cars and our houses for over 20 years. Loved our insurance agent, Rob R. He was wonderful and treated us like family. Took care of any issues we had quickly and efficiently.

Sharla Bursey Azle, TX

I have been a customer of State Farm for over 20 years. They are always available when I need them. They take care of my every need . They are always friendly and helpful.

Alymira S Ford

I like that the are a nationwide company. I have had insurance with them for several years. When my chosen agent retired I have Been unhappy that they have bounced me around and changed my agent 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. they have always provided excellent service so I have stayed with them. but I haven't really gotten to now my carrier agent in the last 2 years.

Daniel Deramus Paynesville, MN

Excellent service and take time to answer all questions

6 hours ago

Sarah Jane Austin, TX

We have only ever had state farm for our insurance and they have always been fantastic!! Very prompt and always someone there to talk to 24/7, even if my insurance provider is closed!! Also very friendly people at my agency, as well as through their after hours numbers!

AndersonFive Greenwood, MS

I have been a customer with State Farm for over 2 years now and have not had any concerns. I initially started with home owner's insurance and then added my auto policy to receive a considerable discount. I had to use the emergency road side assistance of the coverage a few days ago and had the most pleasant experience. The service was fast and professional.

Heavensenthorse Clermont, FL

I have had State Farm Auto insurance for many years in my early driving. Through all my accidents and tickets (I was young!) they never did drop my coverage, altough they had to increase it! The local agent was very friendly and had great customer service. I would always ask them first for their pricing because of the service.

Denise Urban Midland, MI

I have State Farm Insurance in my state of Michigan. They have always been on time with repairs and any issues have spent time to explain what is happening with my policy. I am very satisfied with State Farm and will continue to use their insurance services.

DealStar Salt Lake City, UT

I've been a customer of State Farm for many, many years, and they have proven themselves to be worthy of my business for both home and auto coverage. My agent is a God-Send; there is nothing but exceptional service coming from my local agent. I highly recommend State Farm Insurance.

Kim San Jose, CA

My agent is always on it. Customer service is always friendly, answers all my questions promptly. When they need to mail me something it is prompt. Prices are great for me. I have been a customer for over 35 years. I check prices every 3 years or so with other companies but no one can touch their prices.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I've been a customer of State Farm for 36 years. I not only have Auto Insurance with them but Homeowners, Umbrella, Rental Property & Personal Articles insurance as well as my FEMA Flood Insurance policies as well. When I've had to file any claims, for my own car or for a rental vehicle, they handle the claims through my local agent, on the phone, and made sure I got a loaner car right on the spot. Also, when I file a claim they don't try to cancel my insurance. Perhaps they don't offer the best rates, but they make up for it with GREAT customer service.

Linda G Jeschofnig Denver, CO

After 20+ years as full-coverage policy owners, they screwed us on a claim for damages when a dishwasher installer who was also their insured caused a flood in our condo! BOO! HISS! HISS!

Kevin D Franklin, IN

We have been customers of State Farm for 40 plus years. Have, unfortunately, had a few auto accidents, which were not our fault. Easy to deal with, very responsive and professional. Never experienced a rate increase, and have opted for Homeowner's, Umbrella, Boat, and other insurance coverages with State Farm. Occasionally, get quotes from other insurer's, but not a single company has been competitive to the rates we pay with State Farm. Love our long time agent, Ebbie Crawford and her staff.

Aaron Cooper Houston, TX

Good value for money Easy to speak to an agent or claims department willing to offer alternate solutions related to claims

Belle Pierdon Willoughby, OH

I love State Farm Auto Insurance! They are reasonable priced and if a claim needs to be filed, they are efficient and very fair.

Amy Louhela Chicago, IL

I have had an amazing experience working with State Farm. The service is affordable. We had a claim and they paid us out right away.

Pazzo Miami Plant City, FL

I lasted with State Farm 6 months. Very expensive (FL). The price of my policy changed 3 times, my monthly payments went up every time, not sure if my agent gave me a price to get me to sign with them or if it is just like that.

Christian L Dull Wilmington, DE

Take care of claims promptly. Fees are affordable. Agents are friendly. Copays if any are affordable. The work is done by competent people. When they finish the car looks like i just came of the assembly line.