State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm Auto Insurance Logo

8.9

State Farm Auto Insurance

Provides coverage to Canada

State Farm is one of the nation's leading insurance companies as they have been around the block a time or two in their 92 years of service. One of the leading aspects of the company is their network of agents across the nation and Canada, and also that they take pride in serving others, such as taking part in community help efforts across the nation.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Price range
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • Online support

Coverage Features

The coverage options are fairly thorough and should meet the needs of most consumers. All of the essential options are available, from liability and medical payments to car rental and emergency road service. Besides auto insurance, State Farm offers a wide range of other types of insurance and services to cover home, property, health, life and many other needs. In fact, there's very little they don't offer. Besides insurance, they also offer a wide range of banking and financial services.

• Liability Coverage (Property Damage and Bodily Injury Liability) pays out damages to another individual and their property should the policyholder be at-fault. This covers damage to the other's personal property and loss of its use, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
  • Medical Payments Coverage pays a reasonable amount for necessary medical and/or funeral expenses should the policyholder or any passengers be harmed in an accident.
  • Collision Coverage pays for damages caused to the covered vehicle in the event of a collision with another vehicle or objects, as well as rollovers.
  • Comprehensive Coverage will protect the vehicle should a natural disaster occur, damaging the vehicle, as well as protection from theft, vandalism and colliding with animals.
  • Un/Underinsured Motorist Coverage pays for damages to the policy holder's vehicle caused by drivers without, or with little, protection. It also covers necessary medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering for the owner and any passengers injured in the event of an accident.
  • Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage helps pay for a rental when the damaged vehicle is in the shop for repairs after a collision. Daily allowances and limits vary by state.
  • Emergency Road Service is an add-on option providing members with towing, mechanical labor, gas and oil delivery, flat tire assistance, locksmiths, and even jumpstarts. There are two coverage options: Coverage H, which State Farm will carry the financial burden, or basic, which will provide the policyholder with a competitive rate negotiated by the company.

Price Range

Despite being one of the largest insurance companies on the market, State Farm manages to offer reasonable rates ranging from $184 to $230, which puts them in line with smaller, more aggressive insurance companies. They also offer a few good discounts, such as vehicle safety, safe driving, multiple lines, and good student discounts that can save policyholders a good bit of money on their premiums, while encouraging good driving and responsible behavior.

Service Coverage

State Farm offers their products and services in all 50 states and throughout Canada, with 18,000 agent offices. Prospective policyholders are going to be able to find an agent somewhere nearby, so sitting down face-to-face to discuss policy options is easier with State Farm than with almost any other insurance company. For people who prefer to deal directly with another human being, it's hard to beat State Farm.

Discounts

• Multiple-line
  • Drive safe and save
  • Steer clear

Online Support

Most websites that aggregate reviews of State Farm products and services give the company higher than average marks. The most common praise seems to be directed at State Farm agents who often go out of their way to help customers. Many people love having the personal connection with a local agent who is available to answer questions and meet needs at a moment's notice. This certainly helps to eliminate the feeling that customers are dealing with a big faceless organization. Overall, this seems to be a particular strength of State Farm.

The Bad

• Response time
  • Limited educational materials

Response Times

State Farms receives many compliments online about the hard work and personal touch of local agents, but there have been hundreds of complaints across a number of websites about the response time from claims representatives. It seems that many claims have been processed slowly. Though it is difficult to tell just how common this problem is, there are enough complaints about it that consumers should be aware of this. It might be possible that once you go beyond the local agent, the sheer size of the company becomes a problem, and some customers feel like they get lost in the shuffle at that point.

Limited Educational Materials

Online, State Farm has a learning and resource center that is helpful but a bit on the slim side compared to the websites of many of their competitors. While it offers a good deal of basic information about many of their products and services, it could certainly go into quite a bit more detail. Perhaps they expect local agents to fill in these details, but for those who like to do their research online, they will wish there was more available on the State Farm website.

The Bottom Line

Ultimately, State Farm is a massive company that manages to make a personal connection with their customers through the availability of local agents. This is possible because of the sheer number of agents across the country, in every state and throughout Canada. This is a huge mark in their favor because it means customer have a personal connection with the company, which can make things less stressful in case of an accident or emergency.

State Farm rates are reasonable, though there are certainly more affordable options out there. They provide some good discounts, though some companies offer more extensive discount options. However, consumers are still likely to find what they are looking for at State Farm. Overall, the company offers stability, good rates and a personal touch, and despite being a massive company and they have managed to resolve thousands of customer complaints.

Nana Asiata
June 11th, 2018 Herriman, UT

State farm is a good auto insurance. My car tire blow out on the free way and called my auto insurance for help. It took about hour half to get help. Service was fast and we didn't have to get out the car to fix the tire.

Tami Allen
June 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have been with State Farm for over 25 years. They provide our personal insurance needs, as well as those of our small business. Their prices are competitive and fair. We have had several claims over the years, (with a few teenage drivers), and they have always been dealt with quickly, and fairly. Our State Farm agent has become a family friend, and someone I can count on to be there, day or night no matter what the situation. I feel so grateful to know that our insurance is handled by true professionals who care about the people they serve.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

State Farm Auto Insurance is the best insurance company around. I have had them for many years and they have always come through when I needed them.

Burke Tagney
June 5th, 2018 Saint Cloud, MN DETAILS

Overall I had sub-par experience with State Farm, however there were some glaring issues that were very annoying. 1. My premium raised three times in about 15 months, for no apparent reason that could be explained to me as I had no violations or any change in driving habits. 2. For a claim, I was told that they would not cover my hood because of previous hail damage, however that information was not disclosed to me when I started my policy and met with my agent. 3. In regards to that claim, I was told I couldn't speak with my agent and that I had to work with somebody else, which made me question why I had an agent in the first place! Overall, the insurance was expensive and the price only continued to rise, and the most positives that I can give, is that they paid out my claim for damage quickly. I also realize that this might be an experience with a bad agent, but It's going to be a long time before I look back into State Farm.

Dedward Schneider
June 4th, 2018 Yermo, CA DETAILS

Paul is our agent and his staff are so very kind, and explains every little detail.

Karen Pitz
June 4th, 2018 Marshville, NC DETAILS

Bad customer service..price went up over $1000.

Elizabeth A Martin
May 25th, 2018 Allen Park, MI DETAILS

Unfair and unjust premiums, not posting payments and cancelling brcause of this. THEN, charging 3x as much to reinstate

Don & Sue Applegate Su
May 25th, 2018 Altadena, CA DETAILS

We've dealt with John Diehl for many years. He's always been there for us and helped us in anyway he can. His office is always available and comes through for us.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Very reliable insurance for home and cars.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

State Farm is a great insurance company but they’re also very expensive In comparison to other companies. It is nice that there are many offices in every city.

peggy
May 21st, 2018 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

Always pleasent. Very helpful. Never ever rushes you. Yyou feel like there onlt costumer. Prices are good.Quick to set things up for repairs and good follow up.

Rene Widmann
May 21st, 2018 Inglewood, CA DETAILS

Contrary to the commercials they always have better rates and they are very quick to pay claims

Jeffrey S. Leavitt
May 21st, 2018 Bell Buckle, TN DETAILS

Very good service, friendly and helpfull

Richard Beckham
May 21st, 2018 Watertown, WI DETAILS

Mile limit of 7,500 per year. Any claim results in increased premiums. Man ran into my daughter's car in a parking lot, claimed it was my daughter's fault since she sustained injuries.

Bertina Sauls
May 21st, 2018 Smithfield, NC DETAILS

always helpful and will help any way they can

Sheena
May 18th, 2018 Eureka, MT DETAILS

I have know and done Business with State Farm since graduating High School. I am very happy with their service

Angela Bramlett
May 16th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Love State Farm. Especially the insurace team i go thru. Best in town.

Vinson Ousley
May 16th, 2018 Mission, TX DETAILS

James N in Mcallen has served us for over 15 years. His staff (especially Glenda) are great and bend over backwards to help.

Lisa Shields
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

They drop you after a claim. They take your money for years and years and then you have a claim and they tell you your insurance is going to be dropped

Wanda
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Have been with State Farm since 1986 and enjoy the professional as well as persoonal service I receive from my Agent and stff.

William Roethle
May 7th, 2018 Casa Grande, AZ DETAILS

Easy to work with, and competitive rates

henry e. derby
May 7th, 2018 Hadley, NY DETAILS

I havE been with state farm for many, many years & have no intentions of switching any time soon.

Matthew Pettit
May 7th, 2018 Morgan, UT DETAILS

We have had State Farm insurance on our vehicles and home for many years. They have always been quick to respond and more than fair in their dealings with us.

Lisa Sitze
May 3rd, 2018 Round Rock, TX DETAILS

I've been with this company for many years and have had excellent service. If I have any problems, they are on it right away!!

Samantha
May 3rd, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS

We pay them $500 a month and they don't take the time to know who their paying clients are. Also didn't fight for us when we were hit by an uninsured vehicle. We found out years later they have attorneys for such occasions. Would have been great knowing at the time instead of being stuck with the deductible to get the car fixed.

Jeri Basko
May 2nd, 2018 Lebanon, ME DETAILS

They have been good with any accident any family member has been involved in. The company as a whole I would recommend.

Vicki A Michaels
May 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Trustworthy and good customer service, but pricey.

Don
May 1st, 2018 Montegut, LA DETAILS

I have been a member of State Farm Auto Insurance for 40+ years. Here's the deal: you won't find a cheaper auto insurance that pays off on claims and keeps you as a customer.

K Robison
April 30th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I have used them for years. They have great rates and good employees who remember who you are.

Robyn Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

State Farm has been great to cover our family for many years. They have been willing to cover us even with 3 teen drivers at a time. I occasionally shop for insurance and with my teen drivers State Farm is always competitive. They were quick and professional when I had to make a claim.

Schon
April 24th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

I’ve known my agent my whole life which makes it easy to work with and answer any questions or make changes as necessary.

Alaina Gull
April 18th, 2018 Falmouth, ME DETAILS

Great service, but expensive. You get what you pay for. They are very responsive and attentive. We made two claims and they got right on it, were very easy to work with and lived up to everything they promise, but it's very expensive.

Amanda
April 16th, 2018 Sherwood, OR DETAILS

We use state farm for our cars and renters insurance. When we combined our insurances (after my husband and I got married) they made sure we had a better rate than what my current insurance was offering. They applied all sorts of discounts to make sure we were getting the best for our bucks. Also our agent was super helpful when filling a claim and took the time to do it with us. We had a couple issues on billing when changing states and agents but they always took care of it promptly.

Sandy
April 16th, 2018 Seaside, OR

The company had to settle with my car insurance for an accident caused by one of their clients. They treated me with great respect and were very professional. I was very impressed.

Hayden Danger Barton
April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Great for insurance one of my favorites

Anne Marie Milne
April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I had State Farm for many many years when I was single. I loved my agent so very much. Not only did she teach me so much about insurance and how important to have the right coverage. She would give me monthly personally calls to remind me my bill was due because this was my first time paying bills on my own. She wanted me to succeed. I truly felt that. Professional, treated like family. I recommended it to all my friends and so many joined because of my wonderful reviews on the wonderful company.

JAIMEE SMART
April 10th, 2018 Logan, UT DETAILS

State Farm is fine, the main reason I stay is for my agent. He works with me! However, he has a lot over his head that he can't help with. The company is average.

Trent Palmer
April 9th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I get reasonable rates with State farm, and my agent is great. He is always there to answer questions. I feel like they are very fair and deal quickly with any issues that I have.

Landon Robison
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

My wife and I love state farm! We have had a few different cars insured with them at various time, and they always make the change simple for us. And we never have to worry about random fees or anything like that; they are always very upfront about costs. Great company.

Jordan Roy
March 26th, 2018 Diamondhead, MS DETAILS

Okay, no direct contact yet. Rates went up a good bit last summer for no obvious reasons.