Best Company Guarantee State Farm Auto Insurance Logo

State Farm Auto Insurance

8.7

LAST UPDATED: April 19th, 2022

State Farm has a long history in the insurance industry and a strong reputation. If you're looking for a trustworthy insurance company, you don't need to look further.

State Farm offers many types of coverage that you could include in your policy. This allows you to have the coverage you need. You can buy coverage specifically for rideshare driving, antique or classic cars, and commercial car insurance.

Read State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Postive Customer Reviews
  • Good Coverage Options
  • Rideshare Insurance
  • Policies for Antique and Classic Cars
  • Commercial Auto Insurance
  • Nice Discounts
  • Online Quote
  • Simple Insights®

Positive Reviews

State Farm reviews on Best Company are overwhelmingly positive and reflect a high level of customer satisfaction.

Auto insurance customers mention claims satisfaction, State Farm's dependability, and good customer service.

Reviewers also trust their State Farm agent. Some positive reviews comment on the fairness of rates. Other positive reviews mention switching to another auto insurance company for a lower rate.

Because State Farm has earned high praise from customer reviews for its auto coverage, it has our recommendation.

Good Coverage Options

State Farm offers excellent coverage with its car insurance policies. You can include the following types of coverage in your insurance plan:

• Collision coverage
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Liability coverage (bodily injury and property damage)
  • Personal liability umbrella coverage (beyond bodily injury and property damage)
  • Car rental and travel expenses coverage
  • Rental car coverage (repays up to $500 of the deductible expense if you have an accident in a rental car)
  • Uninsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage (for covered person and covered person's passengers)
  • Emergency road service coverage

With so many coverage options, you'll be able to find a car insurance product that meets your needs.

Rideshare Insurance

If you drive for a company like Uber or Lyft, you can add rideshare driver insurance coverage to your personal auto policy.

This rideshare coverage add-on covers all the insurance gaps you have as a rideshare driver. This additional protection allows you to have the coverage you need whenever you drive.

Policies for Antique and Classic Cars

State Farm stands out from other insurers because it offers policies for antique and classic cars.

To qualify for this kind of auto insurance policy, your car must be at least 10 years old, be in good condition or in restoration, stored in an enclosed building, and have limited use.

You can purchase liability, medical payments or no fault, comprehensive, collision, uninsured motor vehicle, and underinsured motor vehicle coverage. You can also add emergency roadside service to your policy.

Commercial Auto Insurance

If driving is part of your business, you'll like the commercial auto insurance policies.

State Farm's business auto insurance policies can include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, personal injury or medical payments, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

If your employees drive their own cars for your business, you can benefit from State Farm's Employers Non-owned Car Liability (ENOL) coverage.

Nice Discounts

Like many car insurance companies, State Farm offers many different types of discounts.

• Drive Safe and Save ™ (discount based on your driving habits)
  • Steer Clear ® (discount if you're under 25 with no at-fault accidents)
  • Defensive driving course (take an approved drivers safety class)
  • Good driving (3+ years without moving violations or at-fault accidents)
  • Vehicle safety (based on your car's repair records, adjusted annually for cars made after 1993)
  • Passive restraint (for cars made before 1994 that have a factory-installed air bag)
  • Anti-theft (car has approved anti-theft device)
  • Driver training (drivers under age 21 who complete an approved driver education course)
  • Good student (teens)
  • Student Away at School (student under age 25 at school and only uses car when at home)
  • Multiple autos insured

You can also bundle policies (homeowners insurance , renters insurance, condo insurance, life insurance) with auto insurance to save.

With all of these discount opportunities, you're likely to save on your insurance rates.

Online Quote and Claims

State Farm makes it easy to get an insurance premium quote and file a claim online. You can also find local repair shops on its site. These features make State Farm easy to work with at your convenience.

If you prefer to work with an insurance agent, State Farm has many agents across the United States. You'll benefit from their personalized service.

Simple Insights®

State Farm also manages a blog called Simple Insights ® to help visitors learn about car insurance and how it works.

In addition to this blog, State Farm has FAQs on its site and even a helpful page to help you decide whether or not to buy additional insurance when you rent a car.

The Bad

• No Quote Comparison Available
  • May Not Be Available in Mexico

No Quote Comparison Available

State Farm sells its own car insurance policies. If you want to compare quotes from multiple insurers online, you'll need to work with each one directly or use a comparison site. This lack of quote comparison can be inconvenient if you're in the first shopping phase.

However, State Farm is a trusted insurer, has excellent policies, and offers many types of discounts, so you're likely to find a cost-effective insurance policy.

May Not Be Available in Mexico

Some car insurers sell policies that work in Mexico. These policies are important if you plan to drive your car in Mexico. Since State Farm doesn't mention a policy like this on its site, you probably need to find another company if you plan to drive in Mexico.

The Bottom Line

State Farm is an excellent choice for car insurance. It has a strong reputation and offers many different kinds of coverage. With all of these options, you'll find the coverage you need for your car.

You may need to look for another company if you plan to drive in Mexico. However, rideshare drivers, businesses, and people with classic or antique cars benefit from State Farm car insurance that is geared to cover gaps and meet specific needs.

You'll also benefit from the many discounts that State Farm offers policyholders. These discounts will help you be a better driver and save money.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

Robert Mott

My agent is the best! I was one of her first clients and she has been great for years. She has helped me save money a few times. I have always trusted State Farm.

James Richards Los Angeles, CA

About 30 years ago I had a car wreck which wasn't my fault. Other people hadn't insurance, and state farm stepped in and settled withe lawsuit and took care my hospital bills and even granted money so I was able to buy a new car.

darcy sullivan Pensacola, FL

My family and I have just decided to switch over to State Farm Auto Insurance. Everyone at State Farm has been nothing but amazing, and was extremely helpful in helping us make the switch. The benefits and rewards are amazing!

Heather Riverton, UT

We have been with State Farm for our Auto Insurance for years. They are great to work with. I am able to easily reach or get a timely call back from my agent and his staff when I need to speak with them. They have been very helpful when we've needed information, added vehicles, and on the rare occasion of an accident, they have been most helpful.

Michelle Chandler, OK

I've been a customer of State Farm for over 20 years. Their customer service is amazing! I love working with my agent. I've never had one problem with them and they've always been there to help or answer questions. If had a few claims with them and have never oce been disappointed with their services. I have also not been able to find another company to beat their prices or services.

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

I have used State Farm insurance since I was 16 , my whole life. I always felt I was in good hands and protected. Anytime I had to be towed for car problems, they always reimburse me all towing charges with copy of my receipt. Only one accident that I can recall and all repairs were paid for with my $500 deductible. Prices have always been fair compared to other insurance companies. My agents were always there for questions when I need them. I have never felt need to change companies. I recommend State Farm totally.

AlisaD Salt Lake City, UT

Best teen driving insurance we found when we researched. Also much cheaper not only for our cars, but for our recreational vehicles also. Friendly agents that are always willing to answer questions.

Uncle Reviewer for Fundraiser Syracuse, UT

I actually just transitioned to using State Farm about 3 months ago. I was with another insurance provider for 18 years until I started shopping around for better rates and coverage....and the winner was.....State Farm! Very happy with my choice and their rates/coverage.

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

I'v had an account with State Farm Auto Insurance for 26 years. They are very timely with information and very knowledgable. I have enjoyed knowing that my agent knows my family and is helping with insurance needs as my family grows up. The only trouble that I have ran into is signing in online. I think the program was updated and I haven't tried it since. But I love that the website will allow you to pay the bill without signing in.

Christopher posey Bettendorf, IA

I have been a customer for 48 years. That about says it all! My latest success story was I was hit from behind at a stop, the car that hit me was going at least 45 MPH and hit me so hard that my car pushed 2 cars in front of me. State Farm paid me up front then went after the drivers insurance company on my behalf. The other 2 cars insurance companies tried to get me to pay for their car’s damages and State Farm told them what they could do with that thought!😄

Fred Van Liew Carrollton, TX

We have been with State Farm for our Autos and Home insurance. I love that they don't nickel and dime legitimate damages, and they reject false claims that then make possible their outstanding service. We have been with them so long that we have had to use their services multiple times. Always extraordinary. Love our agent and love the back up from State Farm.

Andrew Sandy, UT

My wife totaled her car and the process we had to go through was a huge hassle. no one knew what was going on at our local agent and we are still out money for damages to cargo that was in the vehicle. Ive had other companies and all I did was make one phone call and everything was taken care of. with state farm it was like we had to hold their hand through each step and make sure they followed through.

Lea Fiscella Clermont, FL

I’ve been involved in only a few accidents but they’re always super helpful. Have helped me with flat tires for free on multiple occasions .

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

I've been with State Farm for over 30 years. My local State Farm agent has always been helpful. Recently I broke down in a remote area and my agent helped figure out the best way to get my vehicle towed to a certified dealer instead of having to pay for expensive repairs at a local repair shop.

Valerie Peterson Herriman, UT

We had insurance with State Farm for several years but recently changed when we had to add a teenager to our policy. When we were customers of State Farm, we enjoyed the service and found our agent to be easy to work with and helpful when we needed questions answered or services.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

Had them for a while on two vehicles. No complaints on the service or coverage received but docking 1 star for them not being competitive or willing to match the provider I ended up leaving them for. Never had to make a claim so no input on that.

W. Schmidt Olanta, SC

After being with this company for approximately fifteen years, I discontinued their service. They did have the most reasonable auto and life insurance at that time. However, they increased my auto insurance without informing me, debited the increased amount from my account, thereby causing an overdraft in my account. I discontinued their service directly following this issue. Previous to this, I had filed an accident claim against another State Farm insured and State Farm pretty much called my claim bogus and me a liar. I had to fight to get my car repaired.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

Been with StateFarm for 15 years. My husband has been with them for 35 years. We use a local agent, and they know us when we call the office. We have great rates too because we have been with them so long and we have been pretty lucky to not have many claims. They have always taken good care of us when we needed them.

Bambie Alley Orlando, FL

I have been a customer with State Farm for over 40 years. Terri M is my agent and has been extremely helpful in unfortunate situations and keeping me in the loop for new services and cost reductions. I feel that State Farm will always have my back if the unforeseen should happen.

Robert W Eighmy Henderson, NV

I have been a State Farm customer for over 35 years. I entrust State Farm with every insurance aspect. I would recommend them to anyone. The one thing to remember is you get what you pay for and the service I have received over the years has been great and without hesitation.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

State Farm Auto Insurance is pretty helpful and willing to work with you. As someone who is under 25, insurance tends to be more expensive, but because I am in school and receive good grades, I get a discount. If you're a long-term customer, they will also work with you on pricing for new cars.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

I recently switched to State Farm Auto Insurance and so far I have had nothing other than pleasant experiences. My agent is amazing and is always giving the best advice. State Farm has great rates, especially for those with families.

Q Kelly Hallandale, FL

Are use state farm insurance for my home auto and business for close to 10 years or more they bundled everything that they could I have nothing bad to say about state farm once the pandemic started and I sold my vehicle I disconnected my services with state state farm I would gladly recommend them to all of my friends and family

Tina Brandon Norman Park, GA

We have been with State Farm for 35+ years. The premiums are competitive and the response to accidents are very prompt. Customer service is fantastic and they were very caring. Their first question is always did anyone get hurt. Not how much damage did you do.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I've been a customer of State Farm for 36 years. I not only have Auto Insurance with them but Homeowners, Umbrella, Rental Property & Personal Articles insurance as well as my FEMA Flood Insurance policies as well. When I've had to file any claims, for my own car or for a rental vehicle, they handle the claims through my local agent, on the phone, and made sure I got a loaner car right on the spot. Also, when I file a claim they don't try to cancel my insurance. Perhaps they don't offer the best rates, but they make up for it with GREAT customer service.

certi2de Lexington, KY

State Farm makes things easy and quick when I’m in need of assistance. Not only do they offer and encourage periodic comprehensive insurance reviews where you sit down with an agent, I’m also able to communicate with my office via phone call, email AND text. They are EXCELLENT when it comes to helping you find all the discounts that apply to you. Proud to be a State Farm client!

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We have been with State Farm for 35 years in 3 different states. Their agents have always been helpful, making sure that we have the right policies to cover our family's needs. We have had only a claim or two, but our agent has responded quickly and we were able to get the money to fix our vehicles fast and without a hassle. We value loyalty and quality, State Farm offers both.

Joe Oakdale, PA

State Farm has consistently provided nothing short of 5-Star customer service throughout all of my insurance needs. They hsve always been extremely fast to answer questions, assist in any situation, & especially quick to provide assistance & customer support in the times when I've needed them the most. All in all they have steadily stood steadfast at the ready to be the guiding light during the low points & times when you need a helping hand & positive reassurance when you need it the most!!

Matt Hanzel Saratoga Springs, UT

I have been a State Farm customer for 27 years for both home and auto. During that time I have had a handful of claims and each time they have been handled very professionally and in a timely manner. Every now and again I am tempted to switch companies to find a cheaper rate but then I am reminded by others’ experiences that you typically get what you pay for when it comes to reliability and customer service.

Christina Amato Hayward, CA

Been with state farm for 23 years. Everything is super easy. I send in my monthly premiums and if accidents or vandalism occur I make a phone call and they handle EVERYTHING else. Most I have to do is drop off and pick up my car. If they have to fight for me sometimes I have to wait until they get paid to get my deductable back but it always comes. I dont think I woild want to be with anybody else!

Joan Apple

We were in a major automobile accident several years ago and couldn't be more happy with how professionally they handled the claim. Our agent, JoEllen J was a great advocate for us, although everyone else we dealt with was incredible helpful. When it really counted State Farm came through for us...that the most important thing when selecting a company.

Rose Minniear

I have had my insurance with State Farm for 30 years. They have always taken care of me, provide great customer service and even call to thank me for staying with them. Unfortunately we have had several claims and all have been processed very smoothly and to our satisfaction. Other companies have tried to get our business, even at cheaper rates, but I will not change.

Marlene Coville Blakeslee, PA

When I wanted to change companies last year I went to an internet company that let me choose about five different companies to choose. After putting extensive information into the computer about ourselves, many companies called/ and contacted us by email. Only one sent us a letter and a real quote, you guessed it, State Farm. Even though it was about 45 minutes away we gave our business to this particular State Farm because she took the time to get to know us and gave us a wonderful deal for our home, and car.

Roger Cohn Tucson, AZ

I have been with State Farm for many years now (since 1978). I have had very few claims but when I do it's taken care of immediately. But most people today are interested in one thing, Premiums. Every couple of years I go to the trouble of putting my business out for bid. No one has yet to beat State Farm for all coverage. I have auto and motorcycle and also home, umbrella, commercial building and auto.

Helen Thompson Bountiful, UT

when we were first married and had 1 car and rented an apartment we started with State Farm for our needs. as we bought more cars and our family grew we really appreciated their men who would call us and go over our needs. One man who worked for them was in his 80's and he knew even our kids by name because he cared and we felt that he cared and wanted the best for our family. when we went into the army and qualified for USSA which was cheaper for us with now homes and cars and condo's our agent with state Farm was very understanding and did not pressure us etc stay with that company. We always felt if we needed to we could go back and they would treat us as family.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

State Farm has a good reputation and offer a wide-selection of insurance services. Prices tend to be a bit higher though but customer service is pretty good.

Daione S Milbourne Orlando, FL

State farm has great customer service Highly recommended for fast pace pick up in an emergency and any other unwarranted troubles highly recommended

Aybree McBride Ogden, UT

I've been a Statefarm member now for over five years, they are always super friendly everytime you call in and they really make you feel like part of the family.

Rose Chevelon Tallahassee, FL

I currently have Statefarm auto insurance and i love them. The workers are so nice and helpful. I have roadside assistance and that helps me big time especially when I locked my keys in the car.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

I have them right now and am pretty happy with them so far. Customer service is helpful and informative. Rates, when I last shopped around, where the cheapest for what I'm getting. This of course considering a reputable insurance company. You can always get cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Art Reno, NV

In many years of dealing with insurance companies, I have discovered they start you out with a "teaser" rate and constantly increase the premium, even with no claims. If you are on one of those auto pay deals, you might never notice the increases. That happened to me with AAA, and I never signed up for auto pay with anybody again. Then I went to Geico and the same thing happened. Now, with State Farm, it is happening again. New insurance company time!

Yael Lynchburg, VA

I have had State Farm auto insurance for years in the past and lost their products and services. One of the best customer service teams to work with in the industry, highly recommend to family and friends.

David Cape Coral, FL

After being with many insurance companies, I can make a comment about most of them. State Farm has been one of the best. For me, the prices are unbeatable. They respond well to problems and are easy to work with. The product is good and versatile. I have had many companies try to switch me over but no one even comes close to their prices.

Derrick Nedzel Wheat Ridge, CO

My experience with my State Farm insurance agent and his office has been excellent. Everytime I have a question, he or his administrator get back to me quickly with information about coverage and advice on interacting with the company. They have been very responsive, honest and transparent.

Joe Araki

I’ve been with State Farm Insurance 50 years. All my family members plus 3 generations. They might be more expensive but the quality of service is excellent. Joe L has been my agent for most of my life. I can always count on him and his family for quick response and support.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Have been with State Farm Insurance for over 27 years. Most comprehensive coverage gives me the most peace of mind. Agents are so knowledgeable on all facets of insurance. I never feel at risk. In fact, I am sure I will never change insurance carriers as State Farm is as good as they come. Best in Class!

happy customer Elmhurst, NY

Liz from the Elmhurst NY State Farm branch gave me great advise about renters insurance. She was kind enough to break down the process of applying for it and how it would be combined with my car insurance. Thank you so much for taking the time explaining it to me so patiently and enthusiastically.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

Have been using State Farm for about 9 years now and have been satisfied but not overly impressed. They provide an acceptable level of service but seem to want to upsell you on more than you actually need, I've had this problem with all insurance companies I have had to deal with so it's a common problem with the industry. If you don't go our for quotes every couple of years, your insurance company will try to overcharge you.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

State Farm has been my auto insurance since I could drive. I have really liked using them. I appreciate how it is a large company, but they keep a small company feel. There has been one time where I have called and they were slightly rude on the phone, but other than that they have always had great customer service. Their prices are a little higher than some other companies, but the quality of their service is worth the price.

Terry W Fossum

Exceptionally rapid, easy to navigate and fair claim servicing. They have contacted me several times since I have been with them which is for over 25 years to let me know about altered plans that ultimately saved me money on my premiums.