Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

State Farm Auto Insurance Logo

8.3

State Farm Auto Insurance

Provides coverage to Canada

State Farm is one of the nation's leading insurance companies as they have been around the block a time or two in their 92 years of service. One of the leading aspects of the company is their network of agents across the nation and Canada, and also that they take pride in serving others, such as taking part in community help efforts across the nation.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Price range
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • Online support

Coverage Features

The coverage options are fairly thorough and should meet the needs of most consumers. All of the essential options are available, from liability and medical payments to car rental and emergency road service. Besides auto insurance, State Farm offers a wide range of other types of insurance and services to cover home, property, health, life and many other needs. In fact, there's very little they don't offer. Besides insurance, they also offer a wide range of banking and financial services.

• Liability Coverage (Property Damage and Bodily Injury Liability) pays out damages to another individual and their property should the policyholder be at-fault. This covers damage to the other's personal property and loss of its use, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
  • Medical Payments Coverage pays a reasonable amount for necessary medical and/or funeral expenses should the policyholder or any passengers be harmed in an accident.
  • Collision Coverage pays for damages caused to the covered vehicle in the event of a collision with another vehicle or objects, as well as rollovers.
  • Comprehensive Coverage will protect the vehicle should a natural disaster occur, damaging the vehicle, as well as protection from theft, vandalism and colliding with animals.
  • Un/Underinsured Motorist Coverage pays for damages to the policy holder's vehicle caused by drivers without, or with little, protection. It also covers necessary medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering for the owner and any passengers injured in the event of an accident.
  • Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage helps pay for a rental when the damaged vehicle is in the shop for repairs after a collision. Daily allowances and limits vary by state.
  • Emergency Road Service is an add-on option providing members with towing, mechanical labor, gas and oil delivery, flat tire assistance, locksmiths, and even jumpstarts. There are two coverage options: Coverage H, which State Farm will carry the financial burden, or basic, which will provide the policyholder with a competitive rate negotiated by the company.

Price Range

Despite being one of the largest insurance companies on the market, State Farm manages to offer reasonable rates ranging from $184 to $230, which puts them in line with smaller, more aggressive insurance companies. They also offer a few good discounts, such as vehicle safety, safe driving, multiple lines, and good student discounts that can save policyholders a good bit of money on their premiums, while encouraging good driving and responsible behavior.

Service Coverage

State Farm offers their products and services in all 50 states and throughout Canada, with 18,000 agent offices. Prospective policyholders are going to be able to find an agent somewhere nearby, so sitting down face-to-face to discuss policy options is easier with State Farm than with almost any other insurance company. For people who prefer to deal directly with another human being, it's hard to beat State Farm.

Discounts

• Multiple-line
  • Drive safe and save
  • Steer clear

Online Support

Most websites that aggregate reviews of State Farm products and services give the company higher than average marks. The most common praise seems to be directed at State Farm agents who often go out of their way to help customers. Many people love having the personal connection with a local agent who is available to answer questions and meet needs at a moment's notice. This certainly helps to eliminate the feeling that customers are dealing with a big faceless organization. Overall, this seems to be a particular strength of State Farm.

The Bad

• Response time
  • Limited educational materials

Response Times

State Farms receives many compliments online about the hard work and personal touch of local agents, but there have been hundreds of complaints across a number of websites about the response time from claims representatives. It seems that many claims have been processed slowly. Though it is difficult to tell just how common this problem is, there are enough complaints about it that consumers should be aware of this. It might be possible that once you go beyond the local agent, the sheer size of the company becomes a problem, and some customers feel like they get lost in the shuffle at that point.

Limited Educational Materials

Online, State Farm has a learning and resource center that is helpful but a bit on the slim side compared to the websites of many of their competitors. While it offers a good deal of basic information about many of their products and services, it could certainly go into quite a bit more detail. Perhaps they expect local agents to fill in these details, but for those who like to do their research online, they will wish there was more available on the State Farm website.

The Bottom Line

Ultimately, State Farm is a massive company that manages to make a personal connection with their customers through the availability of local agents. This is possible because of the sheer number of agents across the country, in every state and throughout Canada. This is a huge mark in their favor because it means customer have a personal connection with the company, which can make things less stressful in case of an accident or emergency.

State Farm rates are reasonable, though there are certainly more affordable options out there. They provide some good discounts, though some companies offer more extensive discount options. However, consumers are still likely to find what they are looking for at State Farm. Overall, the company offers stability, good rates and a personal touch, and despite being a massive company and they have managed to resolve thousands of customer complaints.

Aubrie Burr
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

They are awesome! They give me a big discount on my bill because I have good grades and that helps a lot with the cost

Shauna Craig
December 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had State Farm home and auto insurance for many years. The customer service was very good, but their price was not as competitive as we felt it should be.

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I started with State Farm. Never had to make a claim, but my rates went up without a change in driving history or anything. Ended up switching.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

I was in an accident, twice. There were very helpful and making sure everything was taken care of successfully. They even gave back my deductible.

edward reese
December 6th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

State Farm is a long standing reputable company and as a policy holder for both auto insurance and homeowners, the bundled discounts are great! When I had a car do a hit an run on me, the insurance company was able to hunt down the diplomat who hit my car and got my money back for the insurance deductible. The cops hunted for a month took State Farm 2 weeks.

Kim
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

I have been with State Farm for about 16 years. The experience has been amazing thus far and I do not plan on going anywhere else. My agent is always open to answering my questions and generating quotes when I am in the market for a new vehicle. I feel that I have very good rates and don't see myself taking my business elsewhere.

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The best thing I like about State Farm is how easy they are to use their agents are super friendly and their payout was great on accident we had about a year ago. Would highly recommend! We receive payment very quickly as well.

Jaime
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have been using State Farm for our car insurance for many years. We have been happy with our coverage and the customer service we receive.

Donna Williams
December 5th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

State Farm has come through for me and my family time and time again! Love them!

jessica
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

State Farm was ok the only problem I had was when I tried to talk to my agent he was never there and would not return my calls. I ended up changing insurance agencies because of it.

Justin Knorr
November 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We love State Farm. We have had other insurance companies be quick to drop us when we filed claims. State Farm generally does not drop clients. The agency we use is so positive and helpful all the time. Their prices are also better than many other companies we have had quotes from.

Katie Howard
November 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had a very good experience with State Farm, and only left because we were able to get a bigger discount through another company. But we never had any problems with claims, and our agent was very helpful and knowledgeable. They offer extra benefits to people who stay with them long term, which makes me wish I hadn't left.

Logan Cook
November 27th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

State Farm continually upped our fee and eventually kicked us off insurance for a speeding ticket.

Eric
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I used them for a bit and I guess they were not bad but I prefer my current insurance provider. The good thing about them is the customer service.

Samantha
November 16th, 2018 San Ysidro, CA DETAILS

State Farm was great! Until I got in a car accident and they kicked me out of the insurance. Other than that it was great while it lasted, they did cover the accident!

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 14th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I like their personal service and attention to details. I felt like they had my best interest at heart. When we purchased our house, they had a great discount for bundling car and home. They are a little more pricey than other companies.

Matt Hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I have been a State Farm customer for 27 years for both home and auto. During that time I have had a handful of claims and each time they have been handled very professionally and in a timely manner. Every now and again I am tempted to switch companies to find a cheaper rate but then I am reminded by others’ experiences that you typically get what you pay for when it comes to reliability and customer service.

Adam B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Used them for awhile until I had to file a claim and then they seemed to avoid me and not want to help me so I switched to another company.

ben
November 5th, 2018 Iowa City, IA DETAILS

Never had a problem with any claims. My agent is great. Prices seems in line with other insurances particularly if you have other insurance lines (i.e auto + house).

Cody Enslow
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

They’re very easy to work with and they have great customer service when you get your local agent. Too pricey to have kept them though.

Angela Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Our agent was really bad. We ended up swithcing to all state because they charged us an extra $200 a month, and then it took years to get that money back to us.

Jordan Priest
November 1st, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

I've been a customer fro 10 years and never had an issues. My rates have steadily decreased, and even when i've shopped around, no one can beat the rate I am currently given.

Kristen Schow
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have State farm insurance and have been with them for almost 20 years! I know they are a little more expensive, but it is worth it! Claims agents are amazing!

Mary
October 30th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

State farm agents are always friendly and happy to help with anything! Claims are processed so quickly and bundling insurance together through them makes it affordable!

Lee
October 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

State Farm is a good company and have been good to work with. Our State Farm agent is particularly good. With teenage drivers, their prices seem a little high, but when we compare with other insurance companies, they are generally quite competitive.

Brian High Duncan
October 24th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

I have been a customer of State Farm for almost 20 years. Their service and products are great. One of my favorite coverages is glass coverage. Often time my windshield will get a crack or chips from road hazards. State Farm covers this 100% for me with no deductible. It is great to have the kind of service. My agent is also great. She has taken care of me and my family for many years.

Jason Anderson
October 17th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Costumer service is very good. They have helped me with every need I've had. Offices everywhere.

Steve schramm
October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS

Quality and service is okay. Seem to be higher priced, not sure if that equates to better value.

VALREE SMITH
October 15th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have been so happy with State Farm. We've been with them for over 20 years and they've been great to work with whether the accident was our fault or the other drivers. When our van was totaled they gave us a fair price that we were happy with.

Matt
September 26th, 2018

We've been happy customers for 25 years! Fast, friendly service that we can count on. We've taken our coverage across 5 states and haven't had an issue.

Melissa Gillings
September 17th, 2018

When my husband was rear ended we called our State Farm rep to have the car repaired. I was given a list of phone numbers to call and had to run to several different locations to have the car adjusted, then arrange for the repair. I was also responsible to arrange the rental car and pay the shop. Once they got the check I was reimbursed, but it was a HUGE hassle. For what I may every month for full coverage it was not very consumer friendly.

Kimberly Maddock
September 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE! Hands down. I was hit by a car (their fault) and State Farm took care of me when the other drivers insurance would not respond to my calls. They went above and beyond. They took care of me getting my car back and going and then on their time, went after the other drivers insurance. I can't recommend them enough. I will forever be with State Farm.

James Larson
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We were able to get insurance for our second home (a cabin), which is not easy to do with most insurance agencies. They were very helpful in combining all our insurance needs into one.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Local agent was very helpful in getting fast quotes. On my first auto insurance policy, the agent knew me by name, called on my birthday, and cared for me as a customer.

Leslie
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

My vehicle was getting older and I had no violations on my record but State Farm kept raising my rates. What seemed to be a great deal when I was comparing rates ended up costing me a ton more.

Shanna
August 27th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Always beats our competitors price, we can never change our policy because we have such a great rate.

Kristiane R Durfey
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When we first got married my husband had insurance with State Farm but I had it with a different company. We kept it that way until his renewal came up and then ended up switching his to mine because the rates were a little cheaper. They were a good company, we just went with the lower payments.

Tilda
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Great customer service, fast service and reliable.

Kris
August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had State Farm insurance for all our children’s cars. There is always someone available and willing to help in the customer service department.

Lesa Burgess
August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My car insurance has been State Farm for many years. Overall, I've always had a great customer service experience with them. I’ve had to deal with them and I never had an awful customer service experience.