Amazon Prime Logo

7.7

LAST UPDATED: October 12th, 2021
Amazon has created a product that combines movie, TV, music, and book streaming all in one easy-to-access platform. Amazon Prime is more than just a streaming service, it also saves members fees on shipping for Amazon.com orders.  Amazon has been in business for over 20 years and is now known as the world's largest online retailer!

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large viewing selection
  • Features and perks
  • Discounts and free trial

Selection

Amazon Prime has over 4,500 movies and television shows for you to choose from.

Additional Perks

Members of Amazon Prime also have access to Prime Music, Prime Photos, Prime Pantry, and Amazon Elements. Customers also have access to free two day shipping on all orders marked with the special Prime icon on Amazon.com.

Parental Controls

Amazon Prime provides quality parental controls, allowing members to set a PIN and viewing restrictions on movies and TV shows.

Student Discount

If you are a student you get six months of Amazon Prime for free, and 50 percent off after that, for as long as you are a student.

Free 30-day Trial

Amazon offers a 30-day free trial to potential customers, allowing them to try out Amazon Prime before making a final decision. Amazon Prime has so many great aspects to their service. For $99/year, subscribers pay less than $9 a month for Amazon Prime's services. This is a very reasonable price for the streaming tv industry. In addition, Amazon Prime gives its members the option to pay a small fee to watch newer/more popular releases so they don't have to wait. Overall, from the large library to the additional Amazon Perks, this service has many great benefits!

The Bad

• One time large fee
  • Can have additional costs
  • No personalization options

One Time Large Fee

Although, if broken down, Amazon Prime's fee is less than $9 monthly, having to pay $99 all at once can be a lot. Amazon Prime doesn't provide a monthly payment option for members.

Additional Costs

Although Amazon Prime releases content quickly, members have to pay to watch newer episodes & movies from popular series. Costs range from $1.99-$2.99, and movie rentals are $2.99-$6.99.

Personalization

Amazon does not have as many account personalization capabilities as some of its competitors, such as Netflix. Although Amazon Prime has many great features to their service, they do have a few drawbacks, as you can see.  Amazon's main drawback is that you have to pay for an entire year up front, which can be a high price to pay for some people. In addition, they don't have as many personalization controls as Netflix.

The Bottom Line

For regular Amazon consumers, Amazon Prime is an excellent streaming option to look into. However, for those who don't shop a lot on Amazon, and would not utilize the free two day standard shipping, Amazon Prime might not be worth the $99 all-at-once annual price. Overall Amazon Prime has a large selection of movies and TV, with their own Amazon Prime exclusive series.  They provide their members with many additional perks not related to streaming TV, which is a bonus.  Also, they provide discounts to students.

Aly Houston, TX

Overall I find Prime's platform really easy to use and non-glitchy in ways you don't see from other streaming services (HBO Max comes to mind as particularly difficult). My favorite part is that it shows you the actors that are in the scenes, as well as I believe music? I'm constantly being like "where have I seen that person" when watching TV and so I feel like this feature is meant for those of us who are really into it. The only complaint I have is that I don't think that Amazon has enough good original content - Mrs. Maisel is the only one that comes to mind and I honestly think it's just okay.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I absolutely love amazon prime. You really get your bang for your buck. At first I was against it, because I thought it was silly to pay for a service I might not use but once or twice a year, but it turns out, I shop online way more than I had thought, and especially after Covid. Not only do you get free 2 day shipping on prime orders, Amazon really sweetens the deal by throwing in prime videos (currently my favorite streaming app), prime reading, prime music, and participation in prime day.

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

I like the offerings of television shows and movies that I can watch for free using amazon prime. They offer a great selection of current shows and movies. I also love having amazon prime to get free delivery of everything to hat I want to buy on Amazon with my prime account.

Rafet Afnan Mymensingh, 34

I've bought an Amazon Prime subscription last year. And I think I'm not regretting that because Amazon gives bunches of opportunities to its Prime users. Amazon Prime contents are very delightful to watch and enjoy. Got many shipments free because of it. Also thankful for unlimited music access without advertisement.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Amazon Prime members (like myself) allows me to receive discounts on my Audiobooks as well. I get a discount for Prime just by being a college student, which helps me a lot with delivery on textbooks and just receiving my Amazon deliveries a lot earlier than others. The Amazon Prime movie selection is elite as well. I think they are the only platform that shows the movie, Knives Out, which is one of my favorites.

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

We have been using for the past year and almost always find a movie worth watching.

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

We really enjoy Prime. It is a little disappointing that they started having so many pay options. I liked it more when it was all included :)

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

Great selections. I love renting from this service for at home date nights, which we have a lot of since we have a one year old.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

We use Prime from home from time to time, it helps us find the movies or shows that we can't find other places. The cost of the things we usually rent are pretty decent but you also have the option to buy them. It is a good go to place to find the odd things you are looking for.

Lisa Murphy Newport News, VA

I am a happy customer. I like the fact that I can order practically anything from the comfort of my home. I love the variety of movies, music available, and variety of other product and services. The delivery is phenomenal. I recommend Amazon Prime highly.

cj thor Greenville, SC

The only real reason I have Prime Video is because of being a prime member. The movie selections are not current. If I did not have Prime Video included in my Prime membership, I certainly would not pay the extra fee's to have this. There are better apps out there offering more current movies.

kay stull York, PA

I enjoy being able to view good movies whenever I want. Being able to watch it anywhere any time is very convenient for me. Being stuck at home because of the virus we are dealing with has been great ,I don't have to watch rerun after rerun.

Sandy

I'm new to streaming. I was happy with On Demand, but COVID-19 gave me more time to waste and I got hooked on some of my favorite authors' books to screen , like Bosch. I have found no problem with Amazon and the content keeps giving me new shows in the genres I like. All my friends can't afford the annual fee, so the "9" rating below

seanth57 Columbus, GA

I've made many orders, I'm very impressed with their on time delivery. I have been a member of Amazon prime for over 6 years. Excellent customer service.

Joseph from Virginia Miami, FL

Amazon Prime allows us to get most merchandise on their website within two days which is nice. There are many movies and tv shows on their streaming service that are “free” to watch if you’re a prime member.

Na Oshkosh, WI

Like: quick delivery, free returns, never really a bad experience so far. If need to return, it's free (if free returns listed before purchasing) and most returns does not require boxes and packaging. Dislike: some people rate some products with five stars just to receive free products. Only order if free returns are offered.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

There are a lot of good shows on Amazon Prime, but there are also a lot of options that crowd out the good options. The setup of the website isn't the greatest which makes it harder to find movies or shows. I do like the option that Amazon gives of watching certain moves (normally the more popular ones that aren't on any of the other streaming services) with commercial breaks.

Mary Tiller Bourdages

Amazon Prime Video is an excellent steaming service. They have original shows that are top notch, and some of the best TV and movies from old to yesterday. This service is my premier go to for quality entertainment.

Robert E-Muhammad

Excellent service. A great selection of diverse movies for rent, TV shows, and prime movies. So far there has been no problems with the streaming services and the site is easy to access.

Kathleen Staat

Really great quality shows. Some unique series that you can't find anywhere else. I never tire of the programming. It is easy to navigate to find shows to watch. Overall, Amazon Prime is a good value for the money!

A L Whippany, NJ

I am currently an amazon prime student member. I frequently make purchases that range from Christmas shopping to essentials such as toothpaste and deodorant. I also love watching prime videos and frequently watch movies and TV shows that are included with the subscriptions. Amazon prime is reliable with delivery speeds and a nice selection of prime items.

Anne Tallahassee, FL

Customer service is so amazing. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! They are so understanding and nice to speak with. They are patient and so helpful. The return policy is so great. With prime you don't have to pay return shipping and you can have UPS come pick it up at your door. There is access to prime moves/TV. I finally got to watch House M.D. which I was so happy about.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

I adore Amazon Prime for its originals (Namely, "The Boys") and its wide variety of streaming options. Even without paying for the channel add-ons, there is always plenty to watch and I have purchased and rented a lot of titles from its extensive library. The common frustration with this platform, as with Hulu Plus is the fact that there are some titles you can't even purchase as a one-off because you HAVE to add a channel to watch it. That part is frustrating, because the biggest upside to Amazon Prime Video is being able to choose between already-available titles and one-off purchases and rentals. First world problems, but ultimately, I plan to keep using Prime Video for the foreseeable future, since I already utilize several of Amazon's offerings. Check. Out. Their. Originals. There is some really amazing content and, again, if you are already a Prime member, it is most certainly worth the time.

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

I really like Amazon Prime. I think it's worth the money to be able to get free 2 day shipping. So often I need a birthday present or a wedding gift and I don't think about it early enough to be able wait for regular shipping. Also when I order something for myself I want it right away. Even 2 days can feel like a long time when you want something. We have one account and several members of our family share it. We have to use the same user name and password but it makes it even more worth it with various people using it. Returns are also easy. A few clicks, you print out a label and mail it back. For some items you do have to pay return shipping so be aware. Another perk is Amazon Prime Movies. I pay for Netflix but I think Amazon Prime has a different and better selection of movies/shows. Not all movies are free on Amazon Prime but they have a good free selection.

Samantha Wesley Little Rock, AR

There's a reason the "user score" for Amazon is so much higher than with Netflix. Actually there are *several* reasons they are rated higher, and first is value. You get a TON of features for less than 9 bucks a month. I like Netflix but it doesn't give me a huge chunk of cloud storage for photos, music, and ebooks. Nor do I get all of my music on my PC matched in the Cloud. Or a music player to go with, that gives me access to free albums, songs and mixes. And I don't get Ebook conversion and storage for my ebooks, or access to millions more ebooks to add to my library. And Netflix certainly doesn't give me an excellent Ebook reader to go with. All that, and I hardly need mention the free 2 day shipping on gobs of stuff in thousands of categories. None of that is really about their movie service, but for the price Amazon gives so much more. And since they have made the deal with HBO, there are shows that I can't get on Netflix. Amazon has quality movies, great shows, excellent streaming applications and top notch customer service to go with all the other membership perks, and it makes joining a no-brainer. I love Netflix...but if I had to choose only one? Well, it's no contest.

KLF Fort Worth, TX

Receiving Amazon Prime streaming channel is a nice benefit to being an Amazon Prime customer for product shipping. We’ve enjoyed a number of the series and movies produced by Amazon Prime.

Andrea Wheaton, IL

Amazon Prime's user interface leaves much to be desired. For all that the company invests in their shopping platform, they could use to upgrade this area for sure! The delay in selecting what to watch is annoying and the pause/rewind/forward options are hard to navigate. I give three stars for the options they have for watching, otherwise, I hope they do some work on this service soon to keep up with much better designed streaming services out there.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Amazon Prime is great. Wish they'd offer more movies and TV shows to watch for free. I love getting free shipping with Amazon Prime. But I only get free shipping sometimes. They charge WAY too much if you want to sell a few items on their website. Amazon REALLY needs to keep politics out of their business!!!!!!!!

Jessica Lopez , FL

Currently with Prime,been using them a few months now. Good selection of movies. Prices are a little high for some of the movies/shows that are not included for free, but they give you options for free 7 day subscriptions on some shows

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

The Amazon Prime platform for shows is nice to have but it would not work if it was the only service I paid for. There is not a lot to choose from and it gets frustrating when not all of the movies you see are available on prime. However, I do like that it gives you the option to pay because I can find most shows on Amazon Prime platform even if I have to pay sometimes.

Tony

numerous server problems resulting in very poor quality video or errors playing 4 times in the last 2 weeks. tech support could save themselves a lot of money by recording 'the problem is not with us' and firing all the phone and on line people.

Max Winkel Payson, UT

If you shop on amazon you need to have amazon prime. With its streaming service that has plenty of free shows to watch and the free shipping there is no reason you shouldn't have it. Ive enjoyed watching several movies and shows the last couple months since we have been quarantined on prime. Id highly recommend it

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

What I love best about Amazon Prime Video is the wide selection of movies and shows to watch free or rent. Their rentals are so up to date that it is easy to find new releases to watch! There is a wide array of options for every age group in a family!

Kajsa Kirby Denver, CO

I absolutely love amazon prime video!! Their customer service is prompt and attentive and they have such a broad selection of movies that you can really find almost anything that you are looking for. I love how you can choose to buy or rent the movie in different formats. I can watch on my smart tv or my phone and they have so many great shows and movies that come free with the amazon prime membership as well! They do a great job with rotating things in and out based on popularity for the selection that comes free with the membership.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

Amazon Prime Video has to be one of the best film purchasing services. Did you ever have that spur of the moment when you wanted to watch a video or movie instantly but didn't have access to it? Those days are over. With prime you can watch your favorites instantly with little cost to you. I remember having to watch a movie for an exam that was super expensive everywhere else but only $10 on Amazon. You can't beat that.

Megan

I love Amazon Prime. They have great access to free movies you can stream, along with free music & free 2 day shipping. Also, every time I bought something from Amazon & it never came or there were problems with shipping they ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS gave me a refund. Customer service was superb. I’m currently in Canada & Amazon Prime here just isn’t the same as it is in the States.

Blaise Jackson, CA

I only was a member for 1 month. During that month tho, I really enjoyed it. I watched multiple movies & a few tv series. I had to cancel my membership because I’m working less hours now & cant afford to spend any extra money. I was late cancelling, about 10 days into the next month. Anyways, I just read my emails & the one from Amazon was letting me know that they gave me a full refund. I wasn’t expecting that & they definitely didn’t have to do it. This whole process was smooth & easy. As soon as I can I’ll become a member again. Thanks Amazon!

nako Bismarck, ND

I've only used Amazon Prime for purchasing things. For the most part it is great. I order enough to make the fee worth it even though it is a large fee to pay all at once; there should be a monthly option. The free 2 day shipping is awesome when it actually comes in 2 days. My latest purchase was ordered on a Wednesday and I didn't receive it until Monday. Even though that was the specified delivery time, I didn't know that until after completing my order and when I checked the tracking info it took 2 days to ship. I know it sounds like I am nitpicking but when you pay 100 bucks for this feature, you expect it to work every time. Other that I do truly enjoy the service.

Richard Westover Fremont, CA

We recently moved ( 5 months ago) and decide to not get your traditional TV/Cable service. Amazon Prime has provide a very good service and selection of entertainment for us. There is a very good selection of older TV shows available, movies (both current and older) that we have enjoyed over the past few months. Performance and delivery has been better than originally expected. No complaints.

Marisa Channell Orem, UT

I love Amazon Prime! For the price, I get hundreds of movies and tv shows, music streaming and my favorite, 2-day shipping. The amount of money I save on free 2-day shipping more than exceeds the price per year. So for me, the streaming of movies and music is just an added bonus. I am also very pleased with the customer service with Amazon. They are quick to respond and very good at helping me no matter the problem. Thanks Amazon Prime!

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

I absolutely love amazon prime, it has saved me so many times when it has come to getting textbooks for my college classes. Before I had prime I would have to spend more money at a bookstore because it wouldn't be shipped to me in time, but that is no longer an issue. I love that they also give a very nice student discount. There has only been one time where something wasn't delivered to me on time and Amazon customer service did a fantastic job of helping me track down what happened and we found out that it was the postal service that had messed up which means Amazon did their job perfectly and went out of their way to help me for something that wasn't their mistake.

moose72 Muncy, PA

Great you get a lot for what you pay and i like to shop and watch the shows from prime

Lucy Basov Charlotte, NC

One of my favorites. I am partial to Amazon, love everything about it and happy with services it offers.

Dustin Marx Brighton, CO

We primarily have Amazon prime for the free prime shipping, but enjoy access to the Amazon Prime movies and television streaming that comes with that service. In addition to Amazon originals, we have found movies and television series on Amazon Prime that are not available on NetFlix (which we also use). One of the things we like about Amazon Prime is the ability to rent (or purchase) "must-see" content if it's not available on Amazon Prime or other streaming outlet for free. We like to use the Amazon "no hurry" shipping that often results in credits to our Amazon digital account, which we then can apply to purchasing or renting content that is not freely available.

Natalie Prestwich Taylorsville, UT

Although we have had Amazon Prime for years, I’ve just recently started to use the Amazon Prime video 3 months ago. I have loved it! I wish I would have been using it long before now. One of our favorite things to use it for is kid yoga. My 3 year old loves it and even my 1 year old will attempt it. It’s been a great way to occupy them when I need 15 minutes to get something done. I have used it for myself for work outs only a few times but want to start using it even more for that. It is easy to find what you want and easy to browse if you don’t know what you want to watch. I would recommend it!

Jeremy Arndt Orem, UT

Amazon has come a long way since it's beginnings in 1998. From a online bookstore, to a robust streaming service. I find the TV shows that are available for streaming are more modern and superior to Netflix. I'm actually watching an episode of Mr. Robot as I write this review. For the Car fanatics, they have "The Grand Tour" which picks up where the BBC dropped the ball with "Top Gear" Of all the shows listed this one was my personal favorite. I've developed a problem, where I cannot stop watching what they offer. Very much worth the money if you already have a Prime membership than utilize this for entertainment. Probably the reason I canceled by TV service. :)

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

Amazon Prime is one of my go-to's for streaming entertainment. I love the options they have and that you can get brand new movies on there for cheap

Gabriel Sanchez Phoenix, AZ

I love how I easy it is to navigate Amazon’s app to find my favorite shows and movies. I am never going back to cable!!!

Ishtar Oushana MD Palmdale, CA

Really like the Prime Service. Excellent next day delivery and great variety of products. Like Prime Video as well because they carry the shows and movies we love.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I've been a customer of Amazon Prime for many years and have found the service to be reliable. They have a good selection of streaming TV I only wish there was a way to filter free from pay.