Amazon has created a product that combines movie, TV, music, and book streaming all in one easy-to-access platform. Amazon Prime is more than just a streaming service, it also saves members fees on shipping for Amazon.com orders.  Amazon has been in business for over 20 years and is now known as the world's largest online retailer!

#1 Netflix chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Large viewing selection
  • Features and perks
  • Discounts and free trial

Selection

Amazon Prime has over 4,500 movies and television shows for you to choose from.

Additional Perks

Members of Amazon Prime also have access to Prime Music, Prime Photos, Prime Pantry, and Amazon Elements. Customers also have access to free two day shipping on all orders marked with the special Prime icon on Amazon.com.

Parental Controls

Amazon Prime provides quality parental controls, allowing members to set a PIN and viewing restrictions on movies and TV shows.

Student Discount

If you are a student you get six months of Amazon Prime for free, and 50 percent off after that, for as long as you are a student.

Free 30-day Trial

Amazon offers a 30-day free trial to potential customers, allowing them to try out Amazon Prime before making a final decision.

Amazon Prime has so many great aspects to their service. For $99/year, subscribers pay less than $9 a month for Amazon Prime's services. This is a very reasonable price for the streaming tv industry. In addition, Amazon Prime gives its members the option to pay a small fee to watch newer/more popular releases so they don't have to wait.

Overall, from the large library to the additional Amazon Perks, this service has many great benefits!

The Bad

• One time large fee
  • Can have additional costs
  • No personalization options

One Time Large Fee

Although, if broken down, Amazon Prime's fee is less than $9 monthly, having to pay $99 all at once can be a lot. Amazon Prime doesn't provide a monthly payment option for members.

Additional Costs

Although Amazon Prime releases content quickly, members have to pay to watch newer episodes & movies from popular series. Costs range from $1.99-$2.99, and movie rentals are $2.99-$6.99.

Personalization

Amazon does not have as many account personalization capabilities as some of its competitors, such as Netflix.

Although Amazon Prime has many great features to their service, they do have a few drawbacks, as you can see.  Amazon's main drawback is that you have to pay for an entire year up front, which can be a high price to pay for some people. In addition, they don't have as many personalization controls as Netflix.

The Bottom Line

For regular Amazon consumers, Amazon Prime is an excellent streaming option to look into. However, for those who don't shop a lot on Amazon, and would not utilize the free two day standard shipping, Amazon Prime might not be worth the $99 all-at-once annual price.

Overall Amazon Prime has a large selection of movies and TV, with their own Amazon Prime exclusive series.  They provide their members with many additional perks not related to streaming TV, which is a bonus.  Also, they provide discounts to students.

sydney clark
October 14th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Amazon prime is the best!!! I love the convenience of prime shipping and prime movies.

Cameron Clark
October 14th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Amazon Prime fills all of the gaps that Netflix has. Great content and a very reasonable price.

Maddie Scott
October 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Doesn’t have the widest variety. I even have amazon prime and I don’t quite feel like i’m getting my moneys worth. The service is good though, it functions really well.

Kenz
October 11th, 2019 Buena Vista, VA DETAILS

Good quality, limited selection of shows. Dislike that you have to pay additional money to rent newer shows but overall like the product

Jen Paris
October 11th, 2019 Concord, CA DETAILS

I love being able to buy and then own movies on Amazon. I also love the variety offered. In our family, we don't care so much for the MA Amazon Originals shows, so it's nice to see a few more recently that are more family friendly.

Jon Scoresby
October 10th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

The tv and video options are good. I like how they partnered with IMDB TV so we can watch some of those shows that we missed over the years. I do wish the search and suggestion function was as good a netflix though.

JF
October 10th, 2019 Rancho Palos Verdes, CA DETAILS

just for the video service. not a great selection but considering it's just one service of relatively cheap prime membership, it's a nice bonus. especially like way it interacts with other services.

Gail Strother
October 10th, 2019 Bentonville, AR DETAILS

I am new to Prime Video this year. My favorite series is Jack Ryan. I am looking forward to a new season soon. I would like to see a larger selection of TV series and movies; however; overall, I think Prime Video is a great value, since it is included in my Prime Membership.

ave
October 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My family is always watching shows on Amazon Prime, mostly because it comes with our Prime membership, but also because they have great original movies to choose from. I especially like that they have some of the latest releases and some oldie but goodie shows.

Mr. & Mrs. L Forst
October 9th, 2019 Redondo Beach, CA

We enjoy having this program. It allows us to watch many movies at no cost or low cost.

Dawson Wolfgramm
October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like Amazon Prime because it never really get rid of their old movies and has really good original series that keeps it always interesting.

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

I really enjoy Amazon Prime as well. I love the fast deliveries, free shipping, music unlimited, and the streamable movies and shows.

Annabella
October 8th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Slightly confusing, even if you have Amazon Prime, you often have to pay additional fees for certain shows and movies. Maybe I was mislead, but I assumed that if you payed for a Prime account you would have free access to all the shows and movies, not just a select few.

Vincent Leuzze
October 7th, 2019 San Jose, CA

Not a lot of movie selection but the shows are very good. Not your basic cable shows but actually interesting ones with differing plots!

October 7th, 2019 DETAILS

We love amazon prime. While I wish we had a larger selection it is always clear and we have a set of movies purchased we can watch any time.

Sarah Watters
October 7th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS

Amazon Prime is a good network for variety. I really enjoy The Marvelous Ms. Maisel and Jack Ryan, which are both Amazon original content. Nice that it comes free with Amazon's free shipping service.

Michele Gardner
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have just recently begun using our Amazon Prime streaming service. We haven't had any problems with it and can often find movies or TV shows to watch that aren't available other places. It is a good option for the entire family.

erin
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Amazon prime now that is a good service. They have the biggest selection of movies and have constantly provided a good connection with close to zero buffering when watching those movies. i absolutely love it

April
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Amazon Prime is wonderful to stream movies and TV shows, and it is extremely convenient as well! The prices to rent are nice and cheap, and I can use it on the road. Love Amazon Prime!

Amy
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I use Amazon Prime all the time and it is AWESOME!! I can almost always find anything I need. I don't have to fight the traffic, or search for hours at multiple stores. It is all there in one place with the click of my finger. Prime is wonderful. There is so much more available that just the free or $1 shipping. Having access to the movies and TV shows is great and I have found at times they have anything Hulu and Netflix don't. I love it.

Lesa Stewart
October 7th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

We order everything on Amazon many of our TV shows through Amazon. We are always happy with their customer service and choices.

Karen Jorgensen
October 7th, 2019 Washington, UT

Love Prime! I would like for it not to take so long to update the next season, but I love the selection.

Ellie
October 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Awesome have another way to watch movies and documentaries. Fun shows for the whole family

Dekiah1
October 7th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I just prefer Netflix and Hulu to Amazon. It only occasionally has something that catches my interest...like sometimes I can find a food FFF or BBC

Rushie Gregory
October 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I LOVE Amazon TV! They have a great selection and their partnership with IMDB has made the experience even better. Highly recommend if you have a Prime account

Maddie
October 4th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

Amazon prime is amazing. Worth every penny. I have been saved a million times on birthday presents, baby showers, everything. I love it. And movies!

Ellen Morris
October 4th, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS

Amazon Prime video has actually really impressed me! I am also pleased when I go onto Amazon Prime Video and see films or shows that I have been wanting to watch. It is definitely underrated.

Tony Gibson
October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

What can I say about Amazon Prime, I am a movie fanatic so I love all the options I get with Prime. They are getting some great original content as well. And of course I routinely order things and can expect 2 and sometimes even 1 day shipping. I love how easy it is too return as well if necessary.

Stephen Cann
October 3rd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Amazon Prime is amazing... Talk about innovation. Bundling your Amazon prime membership with Amazon Video was genius.

Becky Koch
October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Amazon has a decent selection and there is the option to buy if they don’t have a free option.

Becky
October 3rd, 2019 Livingston, TX DETAILS

We have had an Amazon Prime subscription for several years. We had not used the Prime Video until we had our preteen grandsons one weekend. It came in very handy for them! Lots of movies and shows they like to watch. Now we use it all the time to watch movies and Amazon Prime only series.

Ashlyn Cann
October 3rd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I've been really happy with amazon prime as a streaming service. Sometimes I wish that they offered more shows on prime rather than specifically paid for shows.

Mike Smith
October 3rd, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

Love Amazon prime. The annual fee is well worth the value of benefits received through the available of streaming content but mostly for the free two day prime delivery on most items

Hailee
October 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I don’t feel like there are a lot of movies on there. Not a big variety. They need to switch it up more.

Dustin Marx
October 3rd, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

We primarily have Amazon prime for the free prime shipping, but enjoy access to the Amazon Prime movies and television streaming that comes with that service. In addition to Amazon originals, we have found movies and television series on Amazon Prime that are not available on NetFlix (which we also use). One of the things we like about Amazon Prime is the ability to rent (or purchase) "must-see" content if it's not available on Amazon Prime or other streaming outlet for free. We like to use the Amazon "no hurry" shipping that often results in credits to our Amazon digital account, which we then can apply to purchasing or renting content that is not freely available.

Cassandra
October 3rd, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS

Amazon prime has some great shows! I love Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Man in the High Castle. Other than that though, I haven't found their content super engaging.

Cynthia Carman
October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Although I haven't used it in a while, the times I have been using it have been so effortless and easy to use. It's also very reliable.

Melissa Riviere
October 2nd, 2019 Clarks Summit, PA DETAILS

I enjoy amazon prime. They have great original shows. I wish it was easier to navigate for the kids.

Sherry Arnold
October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

We have liked having Amazon Prime along with Netflix. If we can't find something on one service, we can often find it on the other. We loved watching Downton Abbey and Amazon Prime was the only place to get it. The picture wasn't as clear for that series for some reason, but we enjoyed it anyway. We would recommend Prime.

Don Boren
October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It has some good shows and original content. I liked Jack Ryan and Fleabag. It would be good to have more movies.

Amy Boren
October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love the options!! I can find anything that I need for shopping , book, and movies! And when I have had to return items the process is so easy and convenient. It has changed my life!

Tara Marx
October 2nd, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

We have had Amazon Prime for years. We love how easy it is to use and the variety it offers.

Pam Robello
October 1st, 2019 Marysvale, UT DETAILS

I LOVE my amazon prime account. I wish they had a bit more free content but I use it all the time

Grant
October 1st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love live streaming TV on Amazon Prime from my phone. One more perk of Amazon Prime!! I have used amazon prime to stream multiple things from my phone, and it has a very sleek and easy user friendly interface.

Barry Henline
October 1st, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Love the access to entertainment on my TV and Computer as well as the free shipping of products purchased online. Swift, accurate delivery to even the most remote locations. Beats Walmart everyday and twice on Sunday.

Amy Decker
October 1st, 2019 Bloomington, IN DETAILS

We love the Amazon Prime streaming service, and appreciate the value as part of the membership. Their original programming has been impressive so far, and they offer a nice variety of programming. The actual streaming also works great.

Ted Johnson
September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have Amazon Prime through my membership and they have a great selection of tv shows, movies, and other content that is very interesting and specifically for me. Easy to access and good quality.

Miles Strother
September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Amazon Prime has a pretty good selection of movies and TV shows. It's selection is definitely smaller than some other streaming services, like Netflix, but it also has several great TV shows (like Dr. Who, Monk and Psych) that are not available on Netflix. Prime video is a great deal, especially when considering the other benefits of Amazon Prime

Garrett Mingus
September 30th, 2019 Provo, UT

Prime video is another perk of being an Amazon Prime member. There's a decent selection of free movies and it's really easy to rent almost anything.

Aliza Henline
September 30th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love the selection and how you can watch instantly without having to download, but it is pricey to rent!!! If it was a little cheaper I would probably rent a little more :)