Amazon Prime Logo

7.9

LAST UPDATED: May 19th, 2022
Amazon has created a product that combines movie, TV, music, and book streaming all in one easy-to-access platform. Amazon Prime is more than just a streaming service, it also saves members fees on shipping for Amazon.com orders.  Amazon has been in business for over 20 years and is now known as the world's largest online retailer!

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#2 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large viewing selection
  • Features and perks
  • Discounts and free trial

Selection

Amazon Prime has over 4,500 movies and television shows for you to choose from.

Additional Perks

Members of Amazon Prime also have access to Prime Music, Prime Photos, Prime Pantry, and Amazon Elements. Customers also have access to free two day shipping on all orders marked with the special Prime icon on Amazon.com.

Parental Controls

Amazon Prime provides quality parental controls, allowing members to set a PIN and viewing restrictions on movies and TV shows.

Student Discount

If you are a student you get six months of Amazon Prime for free, and 50 percent off after that, for as long as you are a student.

Free 30-day Trial

Amazon offers a 30-day free trial to potential customers, allowing them to try out Amazon Prime before making a final decision. Amazon Prime has so many great aspects to their service. For $99/year, subscribers pay less than $9 a month for Amazon Prime's services. This is a very reasonable price for the streaming tv industry. In addition, Amazon Prime gives its members the option to pay a small fee to watch newer/more popular releases so they don't have to wait. Overall, from the large library to the additional Amazon Perks, this service has many great benefits!

The Bad

• One time large fee
  • Can have additional costs
  • No personalization options

One Time Large Fee

Although, if broken down, Amazon Prime's fee is less than $9 monthly, having to pay $99 all at once can be a lot. Amazon Prime doesn't provide a monthly payment option for members.

Additional Costs

Although Amazon Prime releases content quickly, members have to pay to watch newer episodes & movies from popular series. Costs range from $1.99-$2.99, and movie rentals are $2.99-$6.99.

Personalization

Amazon does not have as many account personalization capabilities as some of its competitors, such as Netflix. Although Amazon Prime has many great features to their service, they do have a few drawbacks, as you can see.  Amazon's main drawback is that you have to pay for an entire year up front, which can be a high price to pay for some people. In addition, they don't have as many personalization controls as Netflix.

The Bottom Line

For regular Amazon consumers, Amazon Prime is an excellent streaming option to look into. However, for those who don't shop a lot on Amazon, and would not utilize the free two day standard shipping, Amazon Prime might not be worth the $99 all-at-once annual price. Overall Amazon Prime has a large selection of movies and TV, with their own Amazon Prime exclusive series.  They provide their members with many additional perks not related to streaming TV, which is a bonus.  Also, they provide discounts to students.

MosquitoVampire Klamath Falls, OR

Customer Review Video

KW Phoenix, AZ

Amazon Prime offers plenty of shows and movies, but I don't always find ones I'd like to watch.... OR, the ones I'd like to watch aren't included with Prime, so I'd have to pay more to watch them. It's easy enough to navigate and search. It's also easy to create a personalized watch list. I like that I can search for movies or shows on my computer and save them to my watch list, then go to my tv and easily find them to watch later. As a perk for being a Prime member, it's a nice service. I just wish there were better movies.

A 1 MN

I love Amazon Prime, I've been a member for years and I do not see that changing anytime soon. Amazon Prime is a membership which pays for itself. I take advantage of the shipping feature which allows me to time the arrival of my deliveries perfectly. For my viewing pleasure, Prime programming offers a lot of recently released movies in additions to prior seasons of TV shows that I have missed but would like to catch up on. Although the membership increases over time like everything in life, I truly belief that the benefits increase as well as they are consistently making improvements.

James Tuttle Kingman, AZ

I use Amazon at lease once a week. Excellent variety of items and at good prices. Returns are very easy to do. Website is easy to maneuver.

Lisa Cato Lake City, FL

Amazon Prime has some great original series. General movie and TV show selections are ok; however the genres I prefer come with an additional charge. The quality of videos are decent.

MC Pearson Everett, WA

They have some good shows but they’re in her face is not user-friendly. They constantly remind you of old movies that you might want to watch, without allowing you to just create a list like other streaming companies. If you need prime for the free delivery of things it’s definitely worth it. But if you just want to buy prime for access to those streaming services I would not recommend it over others options.

Mary Daniels Westland, MI

I love Amazon Prime! Not to mention the quick delivery and availability of products at a great and affordable cost. I’ve been able to share my account with others who have benefited from my account for their families. Movies and books for young ones and a large scale of other resources for learning.

Yooper Colorado Colorado Springs, CO

I do my best to keep Jeff rolling in the dough! No, honestly, their shows are great and the streaming quality is much more consistent than Netflix even though they offer less free shows (all shows on Netflix are covered by your subscription fee but Amazon charges you an annual fee plus sells premium shows).

Wendy Shaw New Haven, CT

Amazon Prime is one of my 'MUST HAVE' streaming services . Without a doubt. Has my favorite hit shows and movies...Full seasons of shows that are binge worthy. Plus Amazon Orginals that are one of a kind amazing. Not to mention the affordable pricing.

Jaelyn Morris Bonifay, FL

Amazon prime has many shows and movies to stream, including Amazon originals. I think Amazon has some of the best original shows and movies when compared to other streaming platforms. I also think the price for everything included is great.

Keerthana Manivannan Santa Clara, CA

Great service, and WHO doesn't have Amazon Prime anymore? They have completely monopolized this game and it's everywhere! 2 day delivery is great! Free Returns is better! But I do NOT trust Amazon Reviews, and if you're their customer, you know what I'm talking about. I have had some companies when shipping out their product, they offer incentive ($10 amazon gift card or something similar) to write a great review of the product on Amazon. And boy oh boy, are people making that happen. Amazon is trying to combat this problem but I don't know how it can completely eradicate it. Prime Video is great! They have some good shows/movies but their UI is terrible. I find it difficult to go forward or rewind through portions of the video I'm watching so I am not using Amazon Prime Video THAT often.

Angie Seguin, TX

I love all the benefits that comes with your subscription. Especially the 2 day delivery. Not to mention prime video has all my favorites. The price is very affordable.

Shon Scoville Lehi, UT

Amazon prime is so great to provide access to awesome movies and tv shows. There are a lot of really random and bizarre titles, but it does provide a lot of cool shows that I like, so that is good. I like that it recommends shows to be also based on my past views.

Gaju Shrestha Herriman, UT

I liked the 2-days of shipping being an Amazon prime member. The membership also comes with free prime video and prime music. Lots of shows/movies to choose from the prime video. Little bit disappointed with the price hike, but still reasonable.

Chad Edgar Columbia, MO

I love Prime Video! It has been my choice over Netflix since the very beginning of its existence! In fact, I have never used Netflix because I have tried both and I think Prime Video has better colors, and a sharper image with less compression.

enelson3903 Bowie, MD

Amazon prime is one of the best services I have ever used. I had a TV that was broken on shipment and called customer service and no hassle, and they sent out another TV and the broken TV was picked up the next day. Great Great customer service.

Sarah Biondo Phoenix, AZ

I think that the value for the Amazon prime membership is fantastic because people know it best for the free shipping on Amazon, which we use extensively, But it also includes Amazon prime TV streaming service and free ebooks! We add on the Amazon music and love that as well, but overall we average out the annual fee monthly and budget that way and find it to be extremely reasonable!!

Aly Houston, TX

Overall I find Prime's platform really easy to use and non-glitchy in ways you don't see from other streaming services (HBO Max comes to mind as particularly difficult). My favorite part is that it shows you the actors that are in the scenes, as well as I believe music? I'm constantly being like "where have I seen that person" when watching TV and so I feel like this feature is meant for those of us who are really into it. The only complaint I have is that I don't think that Amazon has enough good original content - Mrs. Maisel is the only one that comes to mind and I honestly think it's just okay.

Leon Yoakum Los Angeles, CA

Signed up for prime and was surprised how fast the movies and videos loaded and the picture quality was excellent

alk43420 Atwater, OH

For a payed streaming network Amazon Prime is not too shabby says Abi. They offer lots of variety. All areas of life. Customer service mot too bad either

HO1 Charles Town, WV

Amazon always has a good selection of new movies and TV, although I would like to see more old movies available. It is one of the easiest streaming services to use and they have apps that work well on all my devices.

Rachel Pletke Osseo, MN

I have been an Amazon customer for about 7 years. The access to shows and movies is easy, and if they are not free, the price to rent or purchase is reasonable. We keep renewing our subscription, love it!

suzanna Brooklyn, NY

Amazon Prime is amazing. I love the 2 day shipping and the streaming of all the movies and shows of old and new i can watch any time. Never have issues with the websites when streaming on the app or pauses of any kind. My kid loves it makes her happy. If i ever have any questions customer service is resourceful, reliable, and excellent.

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

Amazon Prime has been my saving grace during the pandemic. I am able to take to relax and watch shows found on this platform. Through the Up, Faith, and Family Channel, I take comfort in knowing all the movies will be clean and uplifting. I would definitely recommend to viewers of all ages.

buggy crazy Clatskanie, OR

Real good selection, good rental prices, often with special trials of other services and very easy to deal with as long s you do NOT use their useless voice Firestick which was wireless and didn't work worth a crap and that thing NEVER understood what I said. Good customer service, you can call them and talk to a REAL human! the bad is sometimes shows would end without warning.

Lyn Dorchester, MA

I like the quick free shipping, but the video part of Amazon Prime is not of the same quality. I have had it for a number of years, but have seen that they are charging more to see videos than in the past. There were more free selections. The surprising thing is that sometimes really old videos have a charge to view them. I am not referring to Disney movies, but other general selections that may have been free in the past. The other issue is that at high viewing times, some videos keep freezing and have to be reset. On the other hand, there are many free options to take advantage of.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

My go to. I have a few but Amazon Prime is my go to app. You can search for anything... try it. I like that it's hooked up with my Amazon account. Simple and fast at the touch of your fingers. Great horror selection too!

Steveastray4u Phoenix, AZ

Amazon Prime started out wonderful but then became useless. I got to the point where I couldn't even login. Customer service sucks.

Sandy

I'm new to streaming. I was happy with On Demand, but COVID-19 gave me more time to waste and I got hooked on some of my favorite authors' books to screen , like Bosch. I have found no problem with Amazon and the content keeps giving me new shows in the genres I like. All my friends can't afford the annual fee, so the "9" rating below

KimDugan Kailua, HI

I adore Amazon Prime for its originals (Namely, "The Boys") and its wide variety of streaming options. Even without paying for the channel add-ons, there is always plenty to watch and I have purchased and rented a lot of titles from its extensive library. The common frustration with this platform, as with Hulu Plus is the fact that there are some titles you can't even purchase as a one-off because you HAVE to add a channel to watch it. That part is frustrating, because the biggest upside to Amazon Prime Video is being able to choose between already-available titles and one-off purchases and rentals. First world problems, but ultimately, I plan to keep using Prime Video for the foreseeable future, since I already utilize several of Amazon's offerings. Check. Out. Their. Originals. There is some really amazing content and, again, if you are already a Prime member, it is most certainly worth the time.

Craig Slist Oak Harbor, WA

I ended up giving Amazon Prime 2 stars because it's about my 5th or 6th option when it comes to looking for something to watch. I find it chaotic to use and hard to find something interesting to watch. The biggest problem I have is that there is no ability to mark a movie as having been watched or the option to remove movies that have been watched from your search. About 90% of the time I end up logging out of Amazon Prime due to frustration with not finding anything to watch.

Brynlee Dalton Herriman, UT

I love Amazon Prime SO much! My favorite pastime is sitting on my bed, watching movies on Amazon Prime. There are so many different ones, and I'm positive there is something for everyone! Amazon Prime is so cool!

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

Amazon Prime is SUCH a good company! There is a huge variety of things to see! From Romantic movies to action packed films, there really is something for everyone! I love Amazon Prime so much!

Paula Pili Provo, UT

Amazon Prime has a wide selection of movies and shows! It’s membership is all inclusive with all of its benefits So, basically it’s a package deal. The reason I gave it a 4 star rating is because even though there is a wide selection I find I am constantly paying extra

Laura Mccall Yuba City, CA

Good shows and movies. Customer service is amazing and very helpful when my daughter ordered stuff she shouldnt have. And they have great picks of different movies and TV shows.

KG Lebanon, NJ

Amazon Prime has a lot of movies to pick from but a lot of the times the movies will cut out and then it will say that you need to return back to the menu and start the movie over again. A couple of times I have also paid for some movies only for the voice to be off with the characters mouth which is majorly annoying. It's ok but you take your chances when watching a movie.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Amazon Prime is a decent value for the money, although prices have been rising over the past few years. And unless you order enough products during the year, membership may not be worth the price. On the plus side, customer service is great and fast.

Rebecca D

Amazon prime is another one of my favorite streaming services. Their in-house content for movies and TV shows are awesome! I love seeing every month what new shows they come out with. Also the rentals are priced well.

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

Love the variety that is provided in the TV as well as videos in the streaming arena. It fills in the gaps where other platforms fall short. It is a huge benefit that is included with the membership so 2 for 1 is always appreciated!

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Amazon Prime has never-ending suggestions for movies and TV shows. It almost feels unlimited in their options. And the movies come at fairly cheap prices. They have family movies, horror, action, comedy, you name it. I also love that there is even a free list of movies!

Mary Tiller Bourdages

Amazon Prime Video is an excellent steaming service. They have original shows that are top notch, and some of the best TV and movies from old to yesterday. This service is my premier go to for quality entertainment.

Robert E-Muhammad

Excellent service. A great selection of diverse movies for rent, TV shows, and prime movies. So far there has been no problems with the streaming services and the site is easy to access.

Kathleen Staat

Really great quality shows. Some unique series that you can't find anywhere else. I never tire of the programming. It is easy to navigate to find shows to watch. Overall, Amazon Prime is a good value for the money!

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I absolutely love amazon prime. You really get your bang for your buck. At first I was against it, because I thought it was silly to pay for a service I might not use but once or twice a year, but it turns out, I shop online way more than I had thought, and especially after Covid. Not only do you get free 2 day shipping on prime orders, Amazon really sweetens the deal by throwing in prime videos (currently my favorite streaming app), prime reading, prime music, and participation in prime day.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Amazon Prime members (like myself) allows me to receive discounts on my Audiobooks as well. I get a discount for Prime just by being a college student, which helps me a lot with delivery on textbooks and just receiving my Amazon deliveries a lot earlier than others. The Amazon Prime movie selection is elite as well. I think they are the only platform that shows the movie, Knives Out, which is one of my favorites.

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

I really like Amazon Prime. I think it's worth the money to be able to get free 2 day shipping. So often I need a birthday present or a wedding gift and I don't think about it early enough to be able wait for regular shipping. Also when I order something for myself I want it right away. Even 2 days can feel like a long time when you want something. We have one account and several members of our family share it. We have to use the same user name and password but it makes it even more worth it with various people using it. Returns are also easy. A few clicks, you print out a label and mail it back. For some items you do have to pay return shipping so be aware. Another perk is Amazon Prime Movies. I pay for Netflix but I think Amazon Prime has a different and better selection of movies/shows. Not all movies are free on Amazon Prime but they have a good free selection.

Samantha Wesley Little Rock, AR

There's a reason the "user score" for Amazon is so much higher than with Netflix. Actually there are *several* reasons they are rated higher, and first is value. You get a TON of features for less than 9 bucks a month. I like Netflix but it doesn't give me a huge chunk of cloud storage for photos, music, and ebooks. Nor do I get all of my music on my PC matched in the Cloud. Or a music player to go with, that gives me access to free albums, songs and mixes. And I don't get Ebook conversion and storage for my ebooks, or access to millions more ebooks to add to my library. And Netflix certainly doesn't give me an excellent Ebook reader to go with. All that, and I hardly need mention the free 2 day shipping on gobs of stuff in thousands of categories. None of that is really about their movie service, but for the price Amazon gives so much more. And since they have made the deal with HBO, there are shows that I can't get on Netflix. Amazon has quality movies, great shows, excellent streaming applications and top notch customer service to go with all the other membership perks, and it makes joining a no-brainer. I love Netflix...but if I had to choose only one? Well, it's no contest.

Kristiane R Durfey Orem, UT

Amazon Prime streaming tv is great. We love to watch old episodes of TV shows and look here first before searching on any other streaming networks.

Mario Martin Houston, TX

Just signed up for Amazon Prime about 2 months ago, so I'm still processing all the streaming service content, but so far I'm extremely impressed with my new experience!

Naja W Napa, CA

I absolutely love having Amazon Prime. Any show or movie that I can not find on Netflix, I can definitely find it on Amazon Prime streaming.