Amazon Prime Logo

7.7

LAST UPDATED: November 23rd, 2022
Amazon has created a product that combines movie, TV, music, and book streaming all in one easy-to-access platform. Amazon Prime is more than just a streaming service, it also saves members fees on shipping for Amazon.com orders.  Amazon has been in business for over 20 years and is now known as the world's largest online retailer!

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#2 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large viewing selection
  • Features and perks
  • Discounts and free trial

Selection

Amazon Prime has over 4,500 movies and television shows for you to choose from.

Additional Perks

Members of Amazon Prime also have access to Prime Music, Prime Photos, Prime Pantry, and Amazon Elements. Customers also have access to free two day shipping on all orders marked with the special Prime icon on Amazon.com.

Parental Controls

Amazon Prime provides quality parental controls, allowing members to set a PIN and viewing restrictions on movies and TV shows.

Student Discount

If you are a student you get six months of Amazon Prime for free, and 50 percent off after that, for as long as you are a student.

Free 30-day Trial

Amazon offers a 30-day free trial to potential customers, allowing them to try out Amazon Prime before making a final decision. Amazon Prime has so many great aspects to their service. For $99/year, subscribers pay less than $9 a month for Amazon Prime's services. This is a very reasonable price for the streaming tv industry. In addition, Amazon Prime gives its members the option to pay a small fee to watch newer/more popular releases so they don't have to wait. Overall, from the large library to the additional Amazon Perks, this service has many great benefits!

The Bad

• One time large fee
  • Can have additional costs
  • No personalization options

One Time Large Fee

Although, if broken down, Amazon Prime's fee is less than $9 monthly, having to pay $99 all at once can be a lot. Amazon Prime doesn't provide a monthly payment option for members.

Additional Costs

Although Amazon Prime releases content quickly, members have to pay to watch newer episodes & movies from popular series. Costs range from $1.99-$2.99, and movie rentals are $2.99-$6.99.

Personalization

Amazon does not have as many account personalization capabilities as some of its competitors, such as Netflix. Although Amazon Prime has many great features to their service, they do have a few drawbacks, as you can see.  Amazon's main drawback is that you have to pay for an entire year up front, which can be a high price to pay for some people. In addition, they don't have as many personalization controls as Netflix.

The Bottom Line

For regular Amazon consumers, Amazon Prime is an excellent streaming option to look into. However, for those who don't shop a lot on Amazon, and would not utilize the free two day standard shipping, Amazon Prime might not be worth the $99 all-at-once annual price. Overall Amazon Prime has a large selection of movies and TV, with their own Amazon Prime exclusive series.  They provide their members with many additional perks not related to streaming TV, which is a bonus.  Also, they provide discounts to students.

Jason McDonald Columbus, IN

For the most part, I like the content. Rings of Power, Jack Reacher stuff, Man in the High Castle, Prime content is usually solid. The four star rating is mainly because you have to be a prime member to get a lot of free content (which I have), but there is other content for additional fees that I feel like I'm already paying for.

Jamila Maxie San Bernardino, CA

I like Amazon Prime because they have alot of different movies and shows that you an only watch on Prime. I also like Thursday Night football, which is now shown on Prime. I really hope they put the whole NFL season on there now!

Natalia Jayy Piscataway, NJ

Absolutely love the original series that are produced by Amazon, especially the Boys. I’m keeping my subscription for the new season!

Life of Frog South Bend, IN

Pretty darn good! Just wish some of the movies wouldn't cycle out of Prime and back to rent/buy. Tons of movies to choose from, put them in your watch list so when they become free, you can watch them without renting.

G.J. Boise, ID

We have been shopping on Amazon for years. We pay for the prime membership which is great for most items are free shipping and free returns. But when it comes to online streaming movies they fall short. We have to rent or buy many of the movies. Some of the movies are not even new. When they do get a newer movie you have to pay or rent it. I feel since we are paying for Amazon Prime we shouldn’t have to pay again to watch any of their movies. At least with Netflix you pay a flat fee and you don’t have to pay again to watch a movie. Overall I Love Amazon Prime, just wish that ALL of their were free.

Charles Cheek New York, NY

Amazon Prime is a streaming service and a home shopping network. When you sign up for the home shopping service, one gets free shipping and a more preferred shipping for faster delivery for all the items one orders online. But in addition to all of that the customer gets the first level of streaming service with a whole large library of content available for streaming. However the most current movies the customer still has to rent those. Now there's a second tier of streaming service for just an additional $5/month where the customer gets access to original content. The customer also has the option of not subscribing to their streaming service but can still purchase any of the content that is available for Prime subscribers. All in all it's a good deal for the money

Antonio J Renovales Rivera

Excellent quality product and good customer service I love the customer services Chat resolves all my questions.

Debbie Hall Las Vegas, NV

The streaming is good and there is very little buffering. However, as for content, there is very little content I watch. As for the additional channels such as Reelz, it is an abbreviated version of the channel. I am not a fan of the movies available.

b. ellena Kansas City, MO

How in the world was I ever able to exist without amazon prime video? I am able to access it on all of my devices, and there is always new and exciting content to explore! The channels and titles are endless!

Brian Meekhof Stanwood, WA

I've been with Amazon Prime for years and use the streaming service for movies and never have any problems

Who Knows

I enjoyed Amazon's streaming platform. I will say that the pricing is a bit higher then others. Would recommend though.

Mountainlife4sure Denver, CO

Need more new content. I forget I have prime video. Everytime I go to watch something.. same videos are there. I do not pay for prime to buy playing now in theaters movies.

Lauren San Antonio, TX

Amazon has a great collection of streaming content. I like how I can keep a list of shows to watch in the future and also how I'm able to download movies to watch when I don't have wifi.

William Wallworth Fall River, MA

Just joined prime a few month's back and I can't be more happy with the product has lots of movies to choose from and also TV programs and the price is worth paying for the services there delivery of products is superb gets there when there supposed to great selection of products and reasonably priced

Nicole Kilburn Las Vegas, NV

Prime is awesome! I am able to watch most of my favorite tv series and they always update their free to me movies. I get the best deals when i shop for things i cant find in the store ,and they always ship it to me free and fast!

Emma Rodriguez

They don't really have a lot of good options, however, you do find a few great shows on this platform

MosquitoVampire Klamath Falls, OR

Customer Review Video

A 1 MN

I love Amazon Prime, I've been a member for years and I do not see that changing anytime soon. Amazon Prime is a membership which pays for itself. I take advantage of the shipping feature which allows me to time the arrival of my deliveries perfectly. For my viewing pleasure, Prime programming offers a lot of recently released movies in additions to prior seasons of TV shows that I have missed but would like to catch up on. Although the membership increases over time like everything in life, I truly belief that the benefits increase as well as they are consistently making improvements.

Sandy

I'm new to streaming. I was happy with On Demand, but COVID-19 gave me more time to waste and I got hooked on some of my favorite authors' books to screen , like Bosch. I have found no problem with Amazon and the content keeps giving me new shows in the genres I like. All my friends can't afford the annual fee, so the "9" rating below

Gina Donofrio

If you're interested in old movies of and genre, here is where you need to be. A-Z movies, and series' right at your finger tips.

PISSED OFF CUSTOMER Covington, VA

They are okay but I find the shows I like you have to buy or rent them. Some titles they have that are free for prime members I am not interested in watching. They should make all movies and shows accessible for Prime members.

MY Woodmere, NY

This review is for the TV steaming Aspect of Amazon Prime, I like the robust content I like that if something isnt available in the current subscription im using that i can Choose to rent it. Im already paying for it because of how much shopping i do on Amazon.com to its no sweat off my back to use it for streaming as well.

Missenurkissen Hamilton, MT

I got Amazon prime because I work nights doing in home health care & I spend a lot of time sitting in the quiet dark living room of my elderly clients home watching movies/tv on my phone while they sleep. I have had Netflix & Hulu in the past but never Amazon prime so when I got a offer for the first month free, I went for it. Now it's been almost a year since my trial month ran out & I'm a happily paying Amazon prime customer. I love that I still find stuff that I never saw before & am nowhere near running out of possibly good things to stream the night away!

KW Phoenix, AZ

Amazon Prime offers plenty of shows and movies, but I don't always find ones I'd like to watch.... OR, the ones I'd like to watch aren't included with Prime, so I'd have to pay more to watch them. It's easy enough to navigate and search. It's also easy to create a personalized watch list. I like that I can search for movies or shows on my computer and save them to my watch list, then go to my tv and easily find them to watch later. As a perk for being a Prime member, it's a nice service. I just wish there were better movies.

Mary Tiller Bourdages

Amazon Prime Video is an excellent steaming service. They have original shows that are top notch, and some of the best TV and movies from old to yesterday. This service is my premier go to for quality entertainment.

Robert E-Muhammad

Excellent service. A great selection of diverse movies for rent, TV shows, and prime movies. So far there has been no problems with the streaming services and the site is easy to access.

Kathleen Staat

Really great quality shows. Some unique series that you can't find anywhere else. I never tire of the programming. It is easy to navigate to find shows to watch. Overall, Amazon Prime is a good value for the money!

Sarah Bosko Estes Park, CO

Prime is wonderful. Good options. Best streaming service for us.

Keerthana Manivannan Santa Clara, CA

Great service, and WHO doesn't have Amazon Prime anymore? They have completely monopolized this game and it's everywhere! 2 day delivery is great! Free Returns is better! But I do NOT trust Amazon Reviews, and if you're their customer, you know what I'm talking about. I have had some companies when shipping out their product, they offer incentive ($10 amazon gift card or something similar) to write a great review of the product on Amazon. And boy oh boy, are people making that happen. Amazon is trying to combat this problem but I don't know how it can completely eradicate it. Prime Video is great! They have some good shows/movies but their UI is terrible. I find it difficult to go forward or rewind through portions of the video I'm watching so I am not using Amazon Prime Video THAT often.

Sarah Biondo Phoenix, AZ

I think that the value for the Amazon prime membership is fantastic because people know it best for the free shipping on Amazon, which we use extensively, But it also includes Amazon prime TV streaming service and free ebooks! We add on the Amazon music and love that as well, but overall we average out the annual fee monthly and budget that way and find it to be extremely reasonable!!

Aly Houston, TX

Overall I find Prime's platform really easy to use and non-glitchy in ways you don't see from other streaming services (HBO Max comes to mind as particularly difficult). My favorite part is that it shows you the actors that are in the scenes, as well as I believe music? I'm constantly being like "where have I seen that person" when watching TV and so I feel like this feature is meant for those of us who are really into it. The only complaint I have is that I don't think that Amazon has enough good original content - Mrs. Maisel is the only one that comes to mind and I honestly think it's just okay.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

I adore Amazon Prime for its originals (Namely, "The Boys") and its wide variety of streaming options. Even without paying for the channel add-ons, there is always plenty to watch and I have purchased and rented a lot of titles from its extensive library. The common frustration with this platform, as with Hulu Plus is the fact that there are some titles you can't even purchase as a one-off because you HAVE to add a channel to watch it. That part is frustrating, because the biggest upside to Amazon Prime Video is being able to choose between already-available titles and one-off purchases and rentals. First world problems, but ultimately, I plan to keep using Prime Video for the foreseeable future, since I already utilize several of Amazon's offerings. Check. Out. Their. Originals. There is some really amazing content and, again, if you are already a Prime member, it is most certainly worth the time.

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

I really like Amazon Prime. I think it's worth the money to be able to get free 2 day shipping. So often I need a birthday present or a wedding gift and I don't think about it early enough to be able wait for regular shipping. Also when I order something for myself I want it right away. Even 2 days can feel like a long time when you want something. We have one account and several members of our family share it. We have to use the same user name and password but it makes it even more worth it with various people using it. Returns are also easy. A few clicks, you print out a label and mail it back. For some items you do have to pay return shipping so be aware. Another perk is Amazon Prime Movies. I pay for Netflix but I think Amazon Prime has a different and better selection of movies/shows. Not all movies are free on Amazon Prime but they have a good free selection.

Samantha Wesley Little Rock, AR

There's a reason the "user score" for Amazon is so much higher than with Netflix. Actually there are *several* reasons they are rated higher, and first is value. You get a TON of features for less than 9 bucks a month. I like Netflix but it doesn't give me a huge chunk of cloud storage for photos, music, and ebooks. Nor do I get all of my music on my PC matched in the Cloud. Or a music player to go with, that gives me access to free albums, songs and mixes. And I don't get Ebook conversion and storage for my ebooks, or access to millions more ebooks to add to my library. And Netflix certainly doesn't give me an excellent Ebook reader to go with. All that, and I hardly need mention the free 2 day shipping on gobs of stuff in thousands of categories. None of that is really about their movie service, but for the price Amazon gives so much more. And since they have made the deal with HBO, there are shows that I can't get on Netflix. Amazon has quality movies, great shows, excellent streaming applications and top notch customer service to go with all the other membership perks, and it makes joining a no-brainer. I love Netflix...but if I had to choose only one? Well, it's no contest.

Matt Harvey Minneapolis, MN

Since covid Amazon prime isn't what it used to be. Deliveries are way slower now. The benefits offered through prime are also slower. Customer service almost always is not able to do anything about problems. I canceled my subscription because it just wasn't worth the money for what they offered.

Jennifer Coman Jackson, TN

Prime has great programs but since the layout of the home screen has changed, I watch it less. It’s not as user friendly as before.

Marisa K Miami, FL

SHIPPING: AWFUL It happened 3 times!!! I order LARGE quantity of cat food I spend hundreds and 3 times Amazon claimed they delivered went they NEVER DID. Now I dont trust them. Prices on cat/dog food much cheaper @petsmart, chewy, bj's and costco. MOVIES/SHOWS - you do have to pay for them they shld be more flexible provide MORE free options. Better options hulu, netflix at least after u pay them you dont have to keep paying to buy/rent shows. Pay increase to keep PRIME I dont feel its worth the money anymore.

D. Jones Arlington, TX

Love it! Always new content. New movies, old movies, lots of great shows. It's like having an old school video rental store right in your living room.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

Amazon Prime is a great streaming service with a low monthly price. You can watch all your favorite TV shows and movies all on one service. I love my Amazon Prime service.

Lisa Cato Lake City, FL

Amazon Prime has some great original series. General movie and TV show selections are ok; however the genres I prefer come with an additional charge. The quality of videos are decent.

MC Pearson Everett, WA

They have some good shows but they’re in her face is not user-friendly. They constantly remind you of old movies that you might want to watch, without allowing you to just create a list like other streaming companies. If you need prime for the free delivery of things it’s definitely worth it. But if you just want to buy prime for access to those streaming services I would not recommend it over others options.

Tony

numerous server problems resulting in very poor quality video or errors playing 4 times in the last 2 weeks. tech support could save themselves a lot of money by recording 'the problem is not with us' and firing all the phone and on line people.

Mary Daniels Westland, MI

I love Amazon Prime! Not to mention the quick delivery and availability of products at a great and affordable cost. I’ve been able to share my account with others who have benefited from my account for their families. Movies and books for young ones and a large scale of other resources for learning.

Yooper Colorado Colorado Springs, CO

I do my best to keep Jeff rolling in the dough! No, honestly, their shows are great and the streaming quality is much more consistent than Netflix even though they offer less free shows (all shows on Netflix are covered by your subscription fee but Amazon charges you an annual fee plus sells premium shows).

Wendy Shaw New Haven, CT

Amazon Prime is one of my 'MUST HAVE' streaming services . Without a doubt. Has my favorite hit shows and movies...Full seasons of shows that are binge worthy. Plus Amazon Orginals that are one of a kind amazing. Not to mention the affordable pricing.

Jaelyn Morris Bonifay, FL

Amazon prime has many shows and movies to stream, including Amazon originals. I think Amazon has some of the best original shows and movies when compared to other streaming platforms. I also think the price for everything included is great.

Gaju Shrestha Herriman, UT

I liked the 2-days of shipping being an Amazon prime member. The membership also comes with free prime video and prime music. Lots of shows/movies to choose from the prime video. Little bit disappointed with the price hike, but still reasonable.

Chad Edgar Columbia, MO

I love Prime Video! It has been my choice over Netflix since the very beginning of its existence! In fact, I have never used Netflix because I have tried both and I think Prime Video has better colors, and a sharper image with less compression.

enelson3903 Bowie, MD

Amazon prime is one of the best services I have ever used. I had a TV that was broken on shipment and called customer service and no hassle, and they sent out another TV and the broken TV was picked up the next day. Great Great customer service.

suzanna Brooklyn, NY

Amazon Prime is amazing. I love the 2 day shipping and the streaming of all the movies and shows of old and new i can watch any time. Never have issues with the websites when streaming on the app or pauses of any kind. My kid loves it makes her happy. If i ever have any questions customer service is resourceful, reliable, and excellent.