Vivint Solar

6.4

LAST UPDATED: October 20th, 2021

Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems. Although the company was acquired by Sunrun Solar in 2020, Vivint Solar still operates under its own brand.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract — often at a lower rate than their electric bill.

However, a potential drawback of this residential solar company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability
  • Solar Battery Storage

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and property assessed clean energy (PACE) financing. Both cash purchases and solar loans allow homeowners to take full advantage of the federal solar tax credit and other incentives.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the solar panel system–produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, Vivint solar panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

Solar Battery Storage

Vivint Solar also provides home solar battery solutions that allows homeowners to harness and use surplus solar energy in the event of a power outage or other emergency. Solar batteries can also be used at night, which can greatly reduce the homeowner's monthly utility bill. The company employs the LG Chem battery to do this, which can be financed via loan, lease, PPA, or direct purchase, and comes with a reliable 10-year warranty.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the solar panel installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar system. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistent.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after system installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases

Call our recommended rep over at Vivint Solar below.

3.1

James Michael Fauci Saugus, MA

a nice gentleman came to our house from Vivint ( Isiah S. ), good guy, but we were told (in hindsight) a massively exaggerated story about our solar savings. Our installation occured on August 3, 2018, and was up and running nearly 13 MONTHS LATER! Now the cake topper is that we get bills from Vivint that are Higher in the summer!! After being told that the most electricity is being produced in the summer, we expected lower energy cost ... not higher. BTW, still receiving bills from National Grid. If you are searching for the ABSOLUTE WORST SOLAR EXPERIENCE, you have come to the right place. Anybody BUT VIVINT/SunRun. The one star is to complete the review, but they actually deserve zero. If I could remove the panels myself, I would, and scrap the metal.

1 day ago

Reply from Vivint Solar

We're sorry to hear this, James. Savings will vary widely based on your usage, location, etc. but we definitely want to make sure you're getting the most out of your solar system. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this for you. Thanks!

Oct. 20th, 2021

James Doran San Jacinto, CA

The sales person was very knowledgeable and forth coming as well as transparent. He provided detail process information and program information. We did not get very far in advanced notice of installation. The installation was quick and courteous. The team was not in our way. They picked up their garbage fairly well. I was not happy with some of the post install patch work that needed to be done although there will be another team to do that in mire detail, as I understand.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thank you for your review, James. We are thrilled to have you in our Sunrun family. Please reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!

Oct. 4th, 2021

Brock Yucca Valley, CA

We initiated a power purchase agreement with Vivint Solar/Sun Run this year, which was perfect for what we were looking for. The entire experience was one of the most pleasant I have had in any kind of sales setting. Our sales rep Rob was a very knowledgeable and transparent sales person and at no point did we feel any sort of pressure or lack of support in the process. The entire process of permitting and preparation were handled by Vivint, and the installation was much faster and more efficient than I was expecting. I highly recommend this company for solar projects. Power purchase agreement is a great option for those without the up-front cash to buy a system, without hassle of taking out a loan or leasing, and also looking for ultimate convenience and startup ease.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Your review brightened our day, Brock! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Aug. 3rd, 2021

Dale Berridge North Las Vegas, NV

Very expensive take over of a previous solar contract. Inability to get a bill to pay from either Vivint or Sunrun websites or apps resulting in "past due" status of my bill. In less than a month I've been bombarded with calls about a bill I wasn't able to view or pay due to "bugs in the system" caused by the switch to Sunrun. I have been responsible for this lease for less than a month and after many calls and requests for a bill I can pay I've received notices through the Sunrun app (finally) and e mail that the amount is over $450!!! FOR LESS THAN A MONTH! I can understand why the previous owners were so eager to get out from under this very expensive and disorganized catastrophe of a company and lease if their experience was similar!

Reply from Vivint Solar

Hi Dale, thank you for reaching out. Please send your address and review to [email protected] and we will have a representative reach out to help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Oct. 11th, 2021

Jeremy Furman Colorado Springs, CO

I am not sure where to start on my experience with Vivint Solar, so I will just start with this. My experience with Vivint has with out a doubt, been the worst experience I have had with any single company. For those wanting just a quick review, do not use this company. Including a reasonable amount of time to file the paperwork due to covid and possible staff shortages, it took them almost 10 months to finish the process. Throughout the process, they failed to meet their own set expectations, and repeatedly shifted blame to other companies for issues they were suppose to take care of. The technicians have been horrible (up until the final one that got everything working) – and the customer service has been worse than some of the big cable companies. No exaggeration needed. If you want more specifics, here they are. It is a bit of a story so get ready. I purchased my home and was moved in by the end of December 2020. That purchase included a Solar system installed by Vivint, which were installed prior to moving in. As of 9/28/2022, they have finally been turned on. When the system was first sold to me, I was told it would be a 2–3-month process, including any delays that may have been a result from covid. It wasn’t until the 3-month mark that I even had a service technician come to my home to, what I thought, was turn the system on. Turns out, the process had not even been started. You see, they had not put on the proper stickers which was required to submit the paperwork to my energy provider, and this had delayed them three months. At this time, I attempted to contact my sales agent to request information on what was happening. I left multiple voice messages, E-Mails, and text messages to their work addresses, with not a single response. When I call the direct customer service line, I get transferred on average 2-3 times until someone figures out how to get me to the ‘New Home Builder’ department. Of course, it’s not someone that works in my state, so they say they will look into it then usually do not get back to me. I do want to note however, I did get one manager out of California who stayed in contact, and at least attempted to get me information. Sadly, there wasn’t much more they could do about it. Big props to that manager for at least trying. June 21st, 2021 (so another 3 months) I received an email saying they had site approval and would be submitting documentation to my energy provider. When I called to ask questions about this, I was informed that they were communicating with the energy provider to ensure proper documentation was submitted, and that was the cause of the delay. I contacted the energy provider regarding this, and at this point they still had received zero contact from Vivint, including any phone discussions or paperwork. July 21, 2021 - One month later, I received a text message from Vivint (not a phone call mind you, just a text) stating that the issue with my energy department is working on being resolved and I am now being moved up to a “Priority”. As of August 6th, I received a notification from my energy provider that they had received the documentation and I needed to do signatures in order to move forward. Those were done immediately and sent in. So now, we are at 8 months from install date, for Vivint to submit the correct paperwork. September 3th, I finally got authorization to operate my panels from the energy company. Excited to finally have my solar turned on, I followed the steps emailed to me only to find out that there was no solar being generated and there was an issue with the system. I contacted Vivint and my new rep that texted me, multiple times, and was told that a technician would call to schedule. I did not get a call to schedule until September 23rd. Three weeks after that request was submitted. The tech then tried to schedule me a few weeks out and after a little discussion, I was able to get him to show up earlier. Turns out, the installation was not done properly, and a few more things needed to be turned on. The final technician was great. Leave it to the guys on the street to apologize for their company’s poor business practices. The tech made sure everything worked and got me fixed up and running in no time. And in case you were wondering, I was so passed angry at this point that I made sure I was as polite as I could be to the service tech that showed up. This wasn’t his error, even though he tried to take responsibility. This is an abridged story. I won’t go into much detail about the hold times, constant phone calls for answers, or the multiple emails and text messages giving me status updates that were inaccurate. This was a horrible experience, and unfortunately, I was left with little recourse since the panels were installed so early. If you decide to go with Solar, avoid these guys at all costs. Unless you want to wait almost a year for paperwork to get processed. -Jeremy F. Furman

Reply from Vivint Solar

Hi Jeremy, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your experience. We have assigned a representative to contact you soon to help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Oct. 4th, 2021

Niamul hasan Bogra, 03

This was my first experience of installing solar panel. So I asked them too many questions but they answered all of my questions and cleared my all doubts. Their workers are also very polite and helpful. Overall my experience with Vivint solar is 10/10.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Niamul! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Sep. 3rd, 2021

Yvens Mortimer Oceanside, NY

Everything went well. Each encounter with staff was professional, timely and very detail oriented. Our sales person made sure we understood the process and kept us updated every step. The installation team was great as well caring to explain what they were going to do and continuously communicating with us. We would be very happy to recommend such outstanding service to our friends and family

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Yvens! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part by helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Jul. 23rd, 2021

Anirban Das Vernon Hills, IL

Right from the initial discussions to the final installation, the process was very smooth, we were well informed and our questions and concerns were clearly addressed.

Reply from Vivint Solar

This is awesome, Anirban! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Sep. 28th, 2021

Chris Raum Goose Creek, SC

The salesmen are very friendly, but use very aggressive and predatory sales tactics to try to get you under contract as fast as possible. The actual product is extremely overpriced. The average cost in my state for solar panels is $2.90/Watt, and the contract their salesman convinced me to sign was for $4.50/Watt. They trick you with this too, by showing their price with the tax rebate, comparing to the cost of other solar panels without the tax rebate. This is a borderline (if not) fraudulent sales tactic. Then they delayed the installation 4 times over 2 months before I finally did some digging, and realized just how much of a scam Vivint really is. Called off the contract the next day. I'm glad that I got out before it was too late, but if they hadn't pushed back the installation date multiple times, I would have never known. I still had to pay a few fees, but a few hundred dollars is nothing compared to paying $42,000 for a $12,000 system and maybe $4,000 of labor. Got a better system for less than half of the cost after breaking the contract. Don't fall for these predatory salesmen.

Reply from Vivint Solar

We're sorry to hear this, Chris. Savings will vary widely based on your usage, location, etc. but we're definitely happy you have solar. Enjoy your system!

Sep. 28th, 2021

Daniel GALLO Menifee, CA

We signed up for this service on March 3rd, the representative sat in our dining room and told us we would be in service before summer, 6 months later we’re still waiting. Customer service does not assist you when you call them for an update, I’ve requested to speak to the area manager regarding all the issue with misinformation provided by numerous field representatives, which seems to be an easy request, however no one has ever been professional enough to return my call. If I could go with any other company I would, if you should go with them my recommendation would for you to have them put it in writing by when you will be in service and if they don’t meet the deadline they will pay your electric bill till the completion is completed, overall very unprofessional service from field representatives to customer service. Would never recommend them!

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for letting us know, Daniel. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience with us. We're sorry to hear that it's taking longer than expected. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so we can look at your account. Thank you!

Sep. 10th, 2021

Walter White Las Vegas, NV

Worst decision I have ever made going with VIVINT!!!! Where do I begin.... If Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Kaczynski and Ted Bundy were my neighbors and looking for solar I would not even recommend Vivint to them! First it took about 6-8 extra weeks for my panels to be turned on after the install then they said it would. Second they said we would not have a pigeon problem because the panels were so low profile and close too the roof that pigeons would not get under them. Guess what we had a pigeon problem, then they wanted a couple hundred dollars to install pigeon guards. Now we noticed a couple of high electric bills. We called them and they said "Oh you are not producing as much electricity as we originally calculated." ( They also said at the time we purchased them that they would be monitoring this, which they clearly were not.) Anyway they said they would start looking into it and call us in 3 business days, they did not. We had to call them back and they said the call did not get "processed" correctly and they would call us back in another 3 business days. I have had 3 houses in 2 states and have never had this poor of customer service.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for reaching out, Walter. Customer service is really important to us and we'd love to look further into this for you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Aug. 25th, 2021

Scot L. WA

Tentative on the installation. It took three tries and over a month of waiting. One crew came and told me they had to install it one way with cables running all over the rooftop. The next crew came and told me they could install it with the cables in the attic, but the inverter would be over on the side of the house about 20 feet away from the panel. It ended up being installed the way I wanted, but it was a winding path getting there. Cudos to the crew that finally got it done! Let’s hope there aren’t any glitches in finally getting it permitted and turned on!

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thank you for sharing your story, Scot. Your feedback helps us to keep improving your solar experience. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention, and if there's anything else we can do, please let us know at [email protected] Thanks for choosing us as your solar provider!

Aug. 9th, 2021

Liza Sotchenko Parkville, MD

I wish I would of went with this provider but instead made the dumb decision to get panels through Sunnova. This company came out as well and was really knowledgeable and nice. They are also always at the stores doing presentations for the panels and have always been super sweet too.

Reply from Vivint Solar

This is awesome, Liza! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We would be thrilled to have you as a customer. Please let us know if you have any other solar needs and we would be happy to help. Thanks!

Mario San Diego, CA

Great! Luke did a great job in explaining to us about solar and the benefits of the same. Once we decided to go with Vivint, he never failed to follow up till the job was done. He made sure that the install went well and assured us that it will be running in a coulple of weeks after inspection. Mario and the install team were punctual and did a great job. Kudos to them as well. Because of a great experience, I have recommended Vivint to my neighbor who's kind of interested in solar and made sure that Luke will be the agent to sit down with them. Thanks again.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Mario! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

May. 3rd, 2021

Dean Inouye Lexington, MA

Avoid this company and its parent, Sunrun, at all costs. It's almost impossible to reach anyone who know what he's doing. I have to answer numerous questions on the phone before being put on hold, and then I'm often disconnected. When I do reach someone, I have to start from scratch, then get transferred to another person and start from scratch again. Clearly, the company has put no effort into customer service, or is run by someone completely incompetent.

Reply from Vivint Solar

We appreciate your feedback, Dean. We completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable but sometimes we do make mistakes. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so we can help answer any questions you have. Thanks!

Ernie Haro Visalia, CA

We are so happy from the approach from Joe S. explaining how are bill works and leading to the process. Also how quickly everything got installed. We are so excited!

Reply from Vivint Solar

This is awesome, Ernie! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Aug. 20th, 2021

Kaan Beyhan Berkeley, CA

The worst customer care I've ever encountered, probably after DMV. We're trying to take over an account on the house we're buying, we need to update the name on the agreement, so we had to email 5 different addresses, no one propper answer. Attempted to call many many times, no success. If you're VERY lucky, you can get a hold of someone on the phone, who is incredibly incapable of even understanding your problem, and also not even located in the US. The people who answer your call from customer service are located in Phillippines. And they don't speak English properly. They don't understand your street name, even the way you spell the letters. The phone line wasn't even connected properly. And it broke twice, I had to spend two hours only to get someone on the phone. Another woman answered the second time, I couldn't even hear her because of the wind noise coming from her background. She also didn't understand what I'm saying in English, let alone understanding my problem. And that call also broke. I asked her where she is, and no surprise, she is also in the Philippines. Unbelievable. Good job Vivint Solar. One star is even too much for you.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Kaan. We'd be happy to look into the service transfer for you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thanks!

Aug. 20th, 2021

Jodi Paulsen Phoenix, AZ

Had them since 2016. Roof leak Jan 2021 they removed panels after we HAD to pay them $500 for removal/reinstall. Supposed to reinstall April 19 bc only one install team in all of AZ even though our roof was recoated within a week of removal of panels. April 19, they showed up, said they didn't have right tools, left. Couldn't get in touch with anyone and they finally called in May to reschedule, for AUGUST. August came, they confirmed NINE times and then called day before to reschedule again for two days later, then they no showed. Case manager said they were on site reinstalling as she emailed me. They weren't. Panels have been in our side yard for EIGHT MONTHS going on NINE. No one is returning calls, case manager is ignoring us, and our utility bills have been nearly $1000 a month without the panels. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

Reply from Vivint Solar

We're so sorry to hear this, Jodi. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Jaye Carteret, NJ

So far it’s been great. Regular updates about the process and installation was timely and professional. I’m still waiting for the panels to begin working to tell if it’s worth my while. Nevertheless so far so good.

Reply from Vivint Solar

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Jaye! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Aug. 11th, 2021

Ethan Peigen

This rating will change if Vivint does the right thing. I had my solar installed back in March. Shortly after, I left for deployment. My system was eventually turned on after its inspections and I thought I was home free. I do understand power consumption is more in the warmer months of the year so I was paying no mind to my SDGE net metering bills. I got more curious and started to dig into the bills a bit more. I found that they never set up my Solar Edge Inverter properly, so I cant track my production from overseas. I logged into my Vivint account and noticed I have ONE MONTH of production totaling around 19 kwh. ONE MONTH. So I get time to call and the rep old me only 4 of my 11 panels were actually working, which I don't believe because I still have ZERO production according to the Vivint website. I am holding Vivint responsible to cover all the months of high net metering bills since they were the ones that told me they monitored systems for lack of production. So why has it taken my due diligence to figure out this issue while it is their job? If this issue is fixed the way it should be, I will gladly change my one star review. I'm not holding my breath with this company based on all the negative reviews I have read.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for reaching out, Ethan. Customer service is really important to us and we'd love to look further into this for you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Aug. 11th, 2021

Rory Barnett Los Angeles, CA

Vivint Solar is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. The customer service people are in another country, they are very hard to understand and they have no idea what is going on. All they can do is take a message. When and if you get to an American they act like they are doing you a favor instead of a paying customer. My mother passed away and left me the house. I have been trying to put the panels in my name, that has been over a year now and still no change. Every time I call I have to remind them my mother is dead!!! Imagine the pain of reliving my mother dying every time I call them. I put a new roof on my house, it took sixty days to get me on the schedule. Now, I cannot get Vivint Solar to put the panels back on. It has been over three weeks and no one can help me. When I call them they tell me someone will call me back. Then they just flat out started lying to me. Now they will not even take my phone call. I am canceling the contract as soon as I finish writing this review. ANYONE IS BETTER THAN THIS COMPANY !!!!!!!!

Reply from Vivint Solar

Oh no, Rory! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this. Thank you!

Jul. 30th, 2021

Olga T. Medford, MA

I am an existing customer of Vivint Solar (now Sunrun) and would like to share my experience with the company. My system went offline and stopped producing electricity on May 20, 2021. When I noticed it (the company doesn't monitor outputs or does any scheduled maintenance) I contacted Vivint solar and asked for a technician. I was sent some instructions instead on how to troubleshoot the system. We performed all steps and confirmed that the system was not working. After multiple calls and emails, the appointment was scheduled for the middle of July - there was no availability earlier. After a month of waiting, the technician confirmed that the converter was broken and said they needed to order the part. Besides that, he mentioned that roof had a couple of leaks from the panels that he patched - glad that we had this appointment since routine maintenance is not a part of the company strategy. It is the end of July now. The system is still off, we are paying full bills to National Grid, and - wait for it - Vivint solar is still charging us for electricity that we don't produce. I contacted the billing department and was told that the money would be credited back to me 1-2 billings cycles after the system starts producing electricity again - as a result instead of saving I am paying double bills this summer.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Oh no, Olga! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this. Thank you!

Jul. 27th, 2021

Byron TILMAN-SC Perris, CA

I purchased Vivint Solar this year. They choose the amount of panels that was installed. After the install and turn up of the panels, I called and asked why my bill was so high. "You are billed for what is produced from the Panels that THEY said is needed" on top of that I asked if I can pay it off early and was told that I have to wait 6 yrs. You are not able to turn off the equipment. If the equipment is turned off they will "Estimate" the amount of energy that your house would produce. If I could rate them -10 I would. Everyone just PLEASE READ and FULLY understand what this company is doing.

John Mesa, AZ

Before merging with Sunrun their customer service was horrible. They sometimes didn't call you back or if they did it took them days to respond. They at one point wouldn't add extra solar panels even though we were using more electricity than the previous owner. I had to call back many times just to get them to install the extra panels. They also told me that I was in my second year of the lease even though I was still in my first. They were a bad company. I have not had to deal with the new owners' customer service dept. as of yet so I will not be able to give a review of them.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, John. Customer service is very important to us and if there is anything we can do to help, please reach out to us at [email protected] Thanks!

Sep. 6th, 2021

Chris Ricci Los Altos, CA

My Rep., Matt B., was great with communication. Paperwork took extremely long to get done prior to signing docs. Repeated doc. signing of same information was a little annoying. Roofing took twice as long as it should have, stopped work due to crew not having updated work order and not installing something we are paying extra for. Solar install went very smooth. A+ for solar install crew!

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for reaching out, Chris. We're happy you've been enjoying your new solar energy system! I'm so sorry to hear that the paperwork and roofing took longer than expected. We work hard to deliver the best service in the industry but sometimes we make a mistake. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention, and if there's anything else we can do, please let us know at [email protected] Thanks for being part of our solar community!

Jul. 12th, 2021

Cathy Black-gallivan Dorchester, MA

The head Electrician he was absolutely incredible he was great five stars. The panels on the roof were symmetrical on the roof everything was great. All the workers were so professional. thank you Now to get them turned on and working.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Cathy! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Brian Platt West Islip, NY

So far we just had the panels/system installed yesterday. It's not turned on yet. My experience at this point has been really good. The salesman Jeremie was very helpful and knowledgeable. They sent a tech to inspect the house and fuse panel. They found the panel needed to be upgraded. Vivint had an out side electrician replace the panel free of charge. A crew from Vivint came next and installed the system and the were great! professional , polite, and clean. So far very happy....

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Brian! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Feb. 12th, 2021

Holly G. Darkly Sacramento, CA

Having their panels will cost you more than not having solar at all. Their customer service line is unhelpful, won't let you finish a sentence, and very heavily accented. Making a deal with a devil might be a healthier option than using Vivint.

Reply from Vivint Solar

We appreciate the feedback, Holly. We're sorry to hear this. While savings will vary widely based on your usage, location, etc. we definitely want to make sure you're getting the most out of your solar system. Can we look more into this? Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thanks!

Aug. 31st, 2021

John Del Vecchio

THE WORST COMPANY I'VE EVER DEALT WITH. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Their products FAIL and their service is a complete joke. It took over 9 months for the system to get installed and operation and 6 months after installation, the Inverter failed - it hasn't operated in over 2 months and they are still billing me for the monthly rental fees. UNREAL.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for reaching out, John. Customer service is really important to us and we'd love to look further into this for you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Adriana Valencia Loya Manteca, CA

I don't even know where to start VIVINT SOLAR has been the worst company by far. Their so-called salespersons never gets back to you. I had to call James and he would not call back or return texts and some guy called Skyler was no help either after speaking to him about my solar getting approve and connected with Pg&E waiting over two weeks and he doesn't get back to me. What kind of people are they hiring for these companies just a bunch of frauds just like the salespersons that work for these companies.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Adriana. We'd be happy to look into this for you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thanks!

ola brown Boston, MA

The workers were very professional and swift with the work the arrived st the time we agreed upon and cleaned up after the work was done. Very well mannered.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Ola! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Jul. 12th, 2021

Roopca New York, NY

I have had vivint solar since 2017. The service team sucks. I have been trying to get out of the contract by doing a buy out of some sort. I have spoken to five different people at this point and been given five different answers. When I speak to someone on the phone, I hear one thing. Then I get an email with contrasting info, extremely confusing and frustrating. Over the years, I have not saved a penny and I have spent more money in energy. I was duped by their sales team in the first place and now they wont let me just BUY the contract out and be done with them. NEVER again would I do business with this company or recommend them!

Reply from Vivint Solar

We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Roopca. We completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable but sometimes we do make mistakes. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so we can help resolve this for you? Thanks!

Jul. 1st, 2021

Vern Brokke Lake in the Hills, IL

Vivint provided me with exemplary service from the start of the project to completion. The installation crew were especially impressive as they worked throughout a long day and were kind and courteous.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Vern, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Jun. 22nd, 2021

kenneth baldwin Arroyo Grande, CA

From start to finish our experience with Vivant Solar has been first class. The process of getting the project started to the final installation has been efficient and free of problems. I can highly recommend Vivint Solar.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Kenneth, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Victor Cortese Chandler, AZ

I wish to bring attention to one of your concierge, Caitlyn A. She is the BEST at her job, and believe me I have talked to a lot of your concierges. We had a bit of trouble getting our solar up and running, and she helped me the most. I think the problem with Vivint Solar is they have too many customers and not enough people to work and do a good job. They are subcontracting the work and not checking on it before the final turn on.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Your review brightened our day, Victor! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We'd love to look into the issue you experienced to make sure it doesn't happen again. Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thanks for choosing us as your solar provider!

Walter Bemis Petaluma, CA

Happy to have the solar installation. Not real pleased with the holes in the walls that were only partially repaired. Nor with the lack of prior information regarding the location of the solar boxes attached to the front entrance to our home. Very ugly with all the bright red warning stickers!

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thank you for reaching out, Walter! Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

May. 11th, 2021

Rachel Vallelunga Murrieta, CA

Excellent service ! Crystal the Salesperson is wonderful. Very thorough in explaining the Solar System The installers came in time. They were very knowledgeable, polite and cleaned up thoroughly

Reply from Vivint Solar

Rachel, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

May. 3rd, 2021

Dennis Lanspery Hollister, CA

We had additional panels placed on our roof and I explained at that time-that I want bird wire placed around my new panels to prevent another pigeon problem like the one I had previously dealt with. The salesman stated that they would install the wire when they placed the new panels on my roof. It’s been three months and no wire. Tried calling the salesman and he won’t respond to my calls. I have two neighbors that are thinking about having solar installed now I’m wondering if I should even suggest Vivint to them after what I have been through.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Dennis. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve this for you. Thank you!

Apr. 13th, 2021

Joe Coyne Millis, MA

Everyone kept me informed about what was going to happen. The crew was great. They seemed to really know what they were doing. Of course, we'll see if all this really works to expectations when it's turned on. Until then, I'd have to say "So far, so good".

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Joe! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Feb. 1st, 2021

Lynn Holden Yucca Valley, CA

I have wanted to "go solar" for years now, but do not use enough electricity to make it feasible financially. Vivant Solar is changing all this, and I am very happy that their sales rep knocked on my door recently! They have made the whole process very easy and are most responsive to any questions, and best of all, not a penny out of my pocket to get the panels on my roof. I will pay only for power I use, and at a much lower rate than before. What's not to love about Vivant? Absolutely nothing!!

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Lynn! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Nov. 30th, 2020

Justin Choi Chino Hills, CA

From the start to installation, everyone I've met has been extremely professional and helpful. Our sales reps Don R and Curtis have always answered my calls and questions in a timely manner - never had to wonder what was happening next. The installation team worked hard despite the hot weather in southern California. I do have specific feedback on scheduling. The installation was spread out over 3 days which is fine because it is a big job, but the central dispatch keep saying "4 hours" - which is not the best estimate. Just be more clear with the timetable.

Reply from Vivint Solar

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Justin! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Oct. 26th, 2020

Nancy Szeto Stoughton, MA

My sales Rep Alicia is very informative and always stay ahead with the project schedule.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Nancy! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Sep. 10th, 2021

Cjclaver Burlington, NJ

No hassle experience. Contractors showed respect and did work swiftly and professionally. Good job

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, CJ! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Denise E. Webster Bowie, MD

Michael M was the representative who introduced me to Vivient Solar two years ago. I was traveling back and forth to New Jersey to help a family member. I informed him that I was traveling quite a bit and that I had heard some negative press about the company. Michael answered all of my questions as truthfully as he could and then told me he and Vivient would be ready whenever I was ready for an install. with me on my solar installation this past Wednesday, June 17th. When I reached out too him through a neighbor, he promptly responded. even with Corvid-19 happening, Mr. M has tried to accommodate me with any issues. On the day of install, he showed up to introduce the install crew and answer any o my concerns. The install crew, under the leadership of Gregory, was timely, professional, and polite. They answered my questions and concerns immediately. While the team seemed like they were brothers-there was no playing around and goofing off. They acted as if they wanted to be at work. They had great camaraderie yet didn't waste time. They really impressed me when they took the time to check their work (in the rain-for 20 minutes) before leaving my driveway. Vivient please hire more employees like Michael M, Greg and his install team!! The only problem I have with Vivient is the fact that I want and need a monthly paper bill.

Reply from Vivint Solar

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Denise! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can resolve your concerns about paper bills. Thanks!

Jun. 22nd, 2020

Reno Aurora, IL

The ease and flexibility with scheduling an appointment for installation is the first opportunity to receive focused support from customer service. Once the installation team was on-site the team lead communicated their intentions for the work and how the installation would progress. Work on our home began at 7am and ended at 5pm. During that time period there was minimal construction noise in comparison to the size and number of solar panels installed. When the work was completed all debris, boxes and other materials were picked up and taken away by the team. The only thing left behind were the beautiful solar panels that look like artwork on the roof. The installation was done while under a state stay-in requirement and the workers followed all social distancing protocols when interacting us, in addition to wearing shoe coverings and face mask protection when entering our home. From start to finish, we are pleased and impressed with the professional, attentiveness and commitment of Vivint Solar’s panel installers. Now, we will become users of Vivint Solar panels, which is another experience we can share in a few months.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Reno, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

May. 11th, 2020

Daniel Colson Woodbridge, VA

I was very satisfied with the installation crew and their coordinated team effort to install the panels and the hook up. Everyone had their own part to do and the did it professionally took the time necessary to get it done right. When they arrived I consulted the the electrical connect specialist for the location of the disconnect switch and other outside box. Since we were planning to have a 4-seasons room the boxes had to be installed on another part of the house. After advising what we were planning, he took action and did exactly what was needed. His work was extremely precise and was aesthetically pleasing. The team cleaned up very well and it was a pleasure to see a team work so well together.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Your review brightened our day, Daniel! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Apr. 28th, 2020

Tom Struthers Windsor, CA

Installation of our system was completed earlier this week. While it isn't operational yet, waiting for the power company to switch out meters, our entire experience with Vivint has been outstanding, from the sales rep, Jesse, and the inspector who evaluated our home's suitability, to the installation crew. Everyone was happy to answer all our questions and explain how the system will work. Installation was done quickly and efficiently. My only suggestion would be that the time window in the pre-installation email be a little more clear. My email said that installation would be between 6 and 10 am. I was up and had our cars moved at 6, but the crew didn't arrive until 9. Once I found out that they had traveled from Concord, some 85 miles from here, I understood the arrival time, but it would have been better if I knew how far they had to travel to get here.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Your review brightened our day, Tom! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

May. 5th, 2020

Barbara Ostrowski Albany, NY

I have been with Vivint solar since 2015 I save tons of money I wanted to go solar but couldn’t afford to buy the panels out right I save $200 to $300 a month in the summer months It cost nothing to install If I choose to remove the panels It costs me $350 Which is nothing compared to my savings My sales person when I signed on was Jason He was very informative and not pushy I researched the company for a couple of months Then I decided to join them Never once did he push me when I was researching them My only issue with solar panels on the roof is the snow falling off the roof (it falls off hard all at once) My gutters have had to be reattached to my house twice My neighbor who was anti solar Signed on to Vivint in 2017 I shouldn’t speak for them However they say the savings is outstanding (they have heated pool and central air conditioning) I have had other people sign with them I was promised a finder gift Never received anything But I still recommend them Great savings if you use a lot of electricity 👍👍👍

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Barbara! We're so delighted to hear that you're saving money with solar. We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for years to come. Thanks for doing your part to take care of our earth.

Mar. 20th, 2020

Anthony G Gainesville, VA

Slightly more than 3 months into our transition to Solar and it is nearly completed. So far, everything has gone to plan. Tyler H was very professional and his assistant Chrissy D were always there to answer our questions along the way. Financing has been solid. Existing roof and electrical inspection went great. Our 43 panel installation was completed in less than 7 hours once County permits were approved. Installers were efficient and left everything the way they found it. Original install date was rained out and we were glad they were willing to reschedule for the next Sunday open. County electrical and structural inspectors both came the same day within a half-hour window and found no issues. Utility Company (NOVEC) came in less than a week to switch over our Meter and did so without having to power down the whole house. All we are waiting on now is for VIVINT to notify us that we are cleared to operate. Thanks again to Tyler, Chrissy and the rest of the VIVINT SOLAR team.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Thanks for your review, Anthony! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Jan. 21st, 2020

Jim Dyer Roslindale, MA

I'm a Vivint Solar customer since August of '17, and so far everything is exactly as agreed upon. I pay only for the energy provided by the sun, and the monthly bill is the price I expect to pay, calculated by energy produced. Recently, I calculated the 2.9% annual increase that I will pay over the life of the 20 year contract. My contract started at .159 (or 15.9 cents) per kWh and at the end of 20 years, that number will slowly increase to approx. 28.3 cents. I looked at an electricity bill prior to being on solar, and calculated the cost of the entire bill (all delivery charges, fees, etc. added in), divided by the kWh usage, and came out to 28.3 cents per kWh at that time. That tells me that, even at the end of my 20 years of increases, Vivin't rate will never be higher than the grid rate - unless the grid rate should drop significantly... Also, there are no taxes or fees. I pay exactly the rate times the energy produced, and nothing more. A small added benefit: Through Net-metering, the energy I sell back to the grid gets credited to me, currently at the rate of 20 to 22 cents per kWh. I (currently) pay 16.4 cents. So, for every 100 kWh I get credited for, I'm making $4.00 - $6.00 more than what I paid for it. And when grid electricity goes up, I'm sure the credit back to me will increase. Not too shabby. If I were to buy and own the solar panels outright, I would have virtually no payments to the grid. However, the upfront cost would run me around 14K after tax incentives. My plan didn't cost me a penny, just the 20 year contract for cheaper and green electricity. Also, at no cost to me, before getting the panels installed on my roof, Vivint set me up with new electric service, from the street to my home to a new circuit-breaker panel box. They also upgraded my service from 60 to 100 amps. If I were to have that done on my own, I'd have to pay an electrician a few thousand dollars out of pocket. Just an added bonus in my Vivint experience. Two-years in, I'm interested to know what kind of buyout offer I'll be presented with just after year 6 into the contract. I like knowing that any maintenance which may be required for the duration of the contract is not my concern, so in four years, I'll have to do much consideration on that buyout offer. Long story short (oops, too late), Vivint has cost me less for my electricity and I love being green.

Reply from Vivint Solar

Your review brightened our day, Jim! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Aug. 23rd, 2019