Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

James
December 12th, 2019 Springfield, MA DETAILS

We have had the Vivint Solar Company install solar panels on our roof. in which we’re faulty They are coming to fix the roof from the leaking caused by the solar panels. Putting up critter guards and raising up the panels to prevent any other damage. So far we had a roofing contractor come over to access the damage to our roof putting a patch on the holes with grey shingles on a brown roof. This has been going on since April 24 th. Hoping to get the situation done soon. Thanks to Vivint Solar for all your help in this matter

May 09, 2019

Hi James, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Brian Milligan
December 12th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

amazing experience with this company. they treated me with honesty and respect

Carmen Sanchez
December 10th, 2019 Salinas, CA

It was very good experience and it was kept professional. He let me know what he was going to do, why he was going to do it, and made sure I understood what he was saying to me.

Dec 11, 2019

Thanks for your review, Carmen! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

YarmouthRaul
December 6th, 2019 West Yarmouth, MA DETAILS

Thiago knocked on my door last summer and explained to me how solar and Vivint worked. It took a few months to get installed, and now I’ve had the system on for over a year and the savings have been really good. They used black panels and they look perfect on the roof, thanks Thiago

Dec 10, 2019

This is awesome, Raul! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

MarkB
December 6th, 2019 Scotts Valley, CA DETAILS

Customer service was excellent and our rep, Aaron, was patient with our questions. After we signed up, he shepherded us through the entire process.

Dec 10, 2019

Thanks for your review, Mark! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Markeeta Fields
December 4th, 2019 Fremont, CA DETAILS

Chris L was very friendly, knowledgeable, and interested in answering my questions.

Dec 04, 2019

Your review brightened our day, Markeeta! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

BrunoCor
December 3rd, 2019 DETAILS

Thiago had installed a couple of my friends that were really happy with thier systems, and that's what convinced me to work with Thiago and Vivint to put solar on my house. The savings have been great and Thiago has always been responsive and available to answer any questions I had.

Dec 04, 2019

Thanks for sharing your story, Bruno! We're thrilled that you're saving money while you reduce your carbon footprint!

Peggy Handono
December 3rd, 2019 Fremont, CA DETAILS

I have to thank you for having Chris L explain to us how the solar system work very clear and thorough and highly knowledgeable about ‘this product and process . I am convince that he really care about his customer . 5 star for Chris.

Dec 04, 2019

Peggy, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Dave M
December 3rd, 2019 Fremont, CA

In Fremont CA area. Rep Chris L was awesome every step of the way. Explain all questions to satisfaction. Installation team was efficient and made sure all proper pass inspections.

Dec 04, 2019

Thanks for your review, Dave! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

erastus johnson jr.
November 27th, 2019 Baltimore, MD

Very good experience with excellent results.

Dec 02, 2019

Thanks for your review, Erastus! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Dale
November 26th, 2019 Fremont, CA DETAILS

Chris L was my sales rep. From the initial contact with the salesman all the way through to the final inspection, every Vivint Solar employee I’ve encountered has been very professional and has a great attitude. Very happy and would definitely recommend. Chris was very attentive and made sure we were serviced all the way through.

Nov 27, 2019

Thanks for your review, Dale! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

ursula dorothy ulrich
November 21st, 2019 Scotts Valley, CA

I was very impressed with your installers. They were polite, conscientious, and did a wonderful job installing the solar panels. They must not be from here

Nov 25, 2019

Thanks for your review, Ursula! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

ScT
November 19th, 2019 Fallbrook, CA DETAILS

It's all about the support service. With Vivint that mean foreign speaking staff that refuse to transfer customers to the USA . Highly untrained staff barely understand American English . We made three calls of over 30 minutes each after constant disconnects without one grain of assistance. In two hours we still had zero contact with a technical support person. Unless you have barrels of time and the patience of angels, don't use Vivint. Anyone can sell but service is the key. We are still on hold after three hours for after asking for simple support.

Nov 25, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know. We are sorry this was your experience, we don't want you to feel frustrated! Please send us an email to [email protected]olar.com with your address and this review so we can assist. Thank you!

l. r.
November 19th, 2019 Ludlow, MA DETAILS

I have been put off TWICE by poor customer service. I was told TWICE I would have a technician come visit my home for vivant solar panel check-TWICE he NEVER came. I have complained and gotten no where. Customer care specialist Nemiha S has not replied to my inquiries-promised to send info at the end of the weekend. NEVER has replied to my follow up inquiries. Elizabeth M, solar performance specialist, NEVER replied to my complains and failed appointment set for a technician to visit the solar panels. I have sent multiple inquires and have not heard from management, nor from the original sales man, David Y. Have you folks folded as a company? I pay my bills on time and get no replies to inquiries or to service followups. This is the THIRD service evaluation that I complained and never got a follow-up. But, your customer service people also need re-training-one idiot did not listen to my inquiries and when I asked for his manager-he just dumped my in the queue again. Poor service, poor customer service, and poor responses to customer complains-all the elements of a YOU TUBE VIDEO AND BAD PUBLICITY. Are your folks listening?

Nov 25, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

George
November 19th, 2019 Denville, NJ DETAILS

About two years ago snow and ice slide off the panels, which damaged leaf guard/roof gutter. I called over one year ago for help to have ice breakers installed to avoid the roof gutter getting damaged again. I got not response, until recently I saw a meter reader on my street in Denville, NJ. I expressed to him my dissatisfaction, and he said a lot of people are complaining about the customer service. Someone called two days ago to help me, but I could not talk at the time. I was on the phone with the mediocre customer service that bounced me from one rep. to another for over one hour, until I got cut off. Someone called after the cut off, and said it was the computer dropped the call. I then heard silence, so nothing happened. I am very sorry I sign up for this service, and I would discourage anyone from signing up with Vivint Solar. This company is not interested in customer service! I am a very disappointed customer, and should really file a complaint with better business bureau. This company deserve less than a one star!!!

Nov 25, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, George. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can look into this for you. Thanks!

Ralph
November 14th, 2019 Ramona, CA DETAILS

I've been a customer of Vivint Solar since 2014. Generally satisfied. My average monthly bill with Vivint is $135. I haven't paid SDG&E a dime for 5 years.

Nov 14, 2019

Ralph, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

George M Daluz
November 13th, 2019 Escalon, CA DETAILS

I have had my Vivint solar for 3 years now. My energy bill has gone up and my year true ups ridiculous no matter what I do. I've complained several times and all they do is shuffle me around different so called customer service people. I last dealt with a Jennifer from Utah, she sent someone out who left a note that said "system is underperforming". I've since called her and left vm's 3 times, and no return call. This company is not interested in customer service! Please do not use them. I wish I had checked reviews before signing a contract.

Nov 13, 2019

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, George. While monthly savings will vary depending on your usage, we definitely want to look into this for you to make sure you're getting the full benefits. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Norma dardiz
November 5th, 2019 Haines City, FL DETAILS

Vivent promised me that I was going to pay less on my electric bill, and I am paying more then I was previously.. will be calling Vivent to take the solar panel off my roof, or will proceed to take legal action.

Nov 07, 2019

We appreciate you reaching out to us, Norma. We want to look into your concerns. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review. Thank you.

Ken Fisch
November 5th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I am having a problem with customer service and Sales People that lie to you. My system was down for 6 weeks durring the summer and they never knew about it despite the sales man telling me that "we would know about a problem before you ever do". I get answers like we have too many people to monitor every system or it's your fault for not checking it! Stay away! Everything they promised was a lie!!

Nov 07, 2019

Hello Ken, we are sorry to hear about your experience. If you are still experiencing issues with the system please email us at [email protected] with your address and this review. Thank you.

al sgambati
November 5th, 2019 DETAILS

not very happy with vivint. will send an indepth review later. does vivintt ever read their cookie cutter responses. the same wording to every review. you guys should check them. I get the same robotic responses when I call. I think your customer service people make up their own answers. like magicians smoke and mirror answers!

Nov 07, 2019

Hi Al, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. If you have any concerns or questions please feel free to email us at [email protected] Thank you.

Rosa Gonzalez Avila
October 28th, 2019 Madera, CA DETAILS

My name is Rosa I have 30 Vivant panels on my home in Madera CA and for the last 3 years these panels have not worked sufficiently. Vivant breached there contract but even with the numerous hours I wasted dealing with them. They refuse to remove there junk panels. I now have an attorney but before I file suit I suggest to everyone file your complaints Better Buisness Bureau, Social Media, even the Media. Class Action Lawsuit Time for these thieves

Oct 28, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Rosa. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can look into this for you. Thanks!

Russell H
October 25th, 2019 Casa Grande, AZ DETAILS

(09/26/19) I have had Vivint Solar up and running now for 1yr or 12 billing cycles with APS and the numbers on my spreadsheet are as real as they get. I am awaiting a response from customer service as to why going solar has cost me $547 more than the previous year w/o solar panels on my roof. Just thought people out there should know this is reality and it could happen to you. If you appreciate this information, "like" is is the same as a Thank You. Update 10/23/19: at first they were eager to resolve this issue & after going through 3 years of APS bills Benjamin W. determined I should have more panels. Apparently there is a minimal requirement of 8 panels to do that. Roof space can handle & for some reason they have yet to send me the additional panel program information. Is it because I won't do it over the phone as I want it in writing or is it because it will cost me more & I told him I am not investing more money into Vivint and hope it fixes the problem. I am already out over $500. Last contact was 10/10 and no response to the request of emailing the program details. Go to Google maps and search Vivint in AZ to see a photo of the spreadsheet I used to track cost vs credits.

Oct 28, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Russell. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can look into this for you. Thanks!

Santiago
October 25th, 2019 New Britain, CT

Company rep came to my door today to solicit the product of this company. I was attentive up until I asked that he come back to do the 10 minute assessment to qualify us and his response was to show me the screen on his tablet which had my personal demographic and credit rating. To my reaction, he turned the screen and proceeded to inform me that my credit was not going to approve the application for solar panels but it would for (the name of my son). When he ever turned the screen to show me my son's info, I became visibly upset and asked how did they acquire our personal information to that he refused to answer me. By the way, my son is a minor. The only reason I rated this complaint one star is because the rep did pull out the company brochure and provide me with his and the company: Vivint Solar corporate contact information to address my question. I was dialing the corporate phone number as I was closing my front door. The customer service rep who answered my call went mute when I stated the reason for my call. She then asked if it were ok to place me on a 5-6 minute hold while she located a manager to take my call.....Nonetheless, I will be contacting the proper contacts both political and legal to handle this matter.

Oct 28, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Santiago. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can look into this for you? Thanks!

Tamara
October 21st, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

Good grief! My last review was in July and we had panels but no activation. It is now mid October and still no activation (10 MONTHS!!!) Customer service is horrific and I am convinced the interconnection dept is non existent. My next step is looking for an attorney.

Jul 03, 2019

Hi Tamara, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations but we would love to look further into your concerns. Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thank you.

Karin
October 18th, 2019 Copperopolis, CA DETAILS

When we signed our power purchase agreement mid 2018, we asked several times about a backup battery. Our sales person flat out lied to us (when you call Vivint they apologize for the miscommunication). We were told that a battery was available but was not approved by California but not to worry as we could get it installed when one was available. Well, one is available and we are now being told that it can only be installed when the system is installed. What liars!!! What a fraud!!!

Oct 18, 2019

We are sorry this was your experience, Karin. We would be frustrated too. Unfortunately, our batteries can only be installed with a new system in certain service areas. Thank you.

Thomas
October 15th, 2019 Poway, CA DETAILS

I have a system that was part of the home I just bought. My last call to Vivint began with my asking "How do I get this crap off my roof?" My last month's electric bill was $1148. When I called they told me I had been misbilled, if I hadn't caught it, they would have just kept my money and charged me again the next month. I spent almost 30 minutes trying to get things resolved, nothing. The only thing they came back with is that I was late on another ~$450 payment. My next call will be today and if I don't get a satisfying resolution, the next call I make goes to my attorney and I'll just pay him instead. I'm unbelievably pissed off about this! Another item that should have tipped me off: their service people show up almost 2 months after I move in to tell me that the system is offline and that the need to have unfettered access to my home network -- Never going to happen. Do people actually fall for that? Stay far away from these folks.

Oct 16, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Thomas. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Victor Durham
October 11th, 2019 Oroville, CA DETAILS

Really hard to get in touch with, always say they are putting in new phone lines unless of course you try calling for sales! Don't really want to be a customer, came with the home I purchased, can't seem to get out of the contract and is costing me more money NO SAVINGS!

Oct 14, 2019

We are sorry to hear your frustrations and want to ensure you have a positive experience with us. Please feel free to send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review. Thank you.

Sean
October 11th, 2019 Lancaster, CA

I am in the process of initiating PPA service. The install is in the permitting process. So, I have time to back out. However, I don't want to back out. Also, These reviews do not provide me with the high confidence I need for a project of this nature. I read the contract and it seems to penalize the customer for issues that are out of the customer's control. It also does not seem to penalize Vivint properly and accordingly for issues that arise that are in Vivint's control. This needs to be corrected. Penalizing me for non-production of power when I have nothing to do with the install or operation of the system I find troubling. Repair the thing, in a timely fashion and don't charge me for a malfunction that is squarely under your control. I also wonder if Vivint has made the necessary corrections to improve customer satisfaction. All Vivint's employees need to read all of these reviews and take them to heart. Beef up and properly train your customer service department. One last thing: what if this was your house that Vivint was providing service for. How would you want Vivint to treat you? Thank you

Oct 14, 2019

We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please feel free to send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review and anything we can assist you with. Thank you.

ChoMA
October 11th, 2019 Silver Spring, MD DETAILS

I am paying about $700 electrical bill monthly ever since agreeing for Vivint Solar to put Solar panels on my roof in October 2018. Right when panels where installed, they billed me when they had not even been turned on, and when I called Vivint, they said they were not going to refund my money but simply going to adjust my bill for the subsequent month, and they never did so. My last bills were $689.99 = $253.18 (Vivint Solar) + $436.81 (MBG&E) for Sept-2019, and $740.07 = $298.98 (Vivint Solar) + $441.09 (MBG&E) for Aug-2019. I called MBG&E and they said Solar produced zero energy. I called Vivint Solar, and they said they are not getting signal from my home and so did an estimate. A Vivint technician came last month when I called them that there was signals on they equipment, and put the system on, I am not sure what he did. They again sent a technician yesterday and he came and found out that their equipment had tripped off and was not working as expected. How do I get Vivint to refund my money and charges of bounced checks and inconveniences they have caused my family by withdrawing such huge amounts of money from my account for months? Because they have been so dishonest and not kept to their contract, I will even prefer they take their panels off my roof ASAP.

Danny DeVito
October 8th, 2019 Selden, NY DETAILS

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT sign a contract with Vivint Solar I pay the same if not more between these thieves and my electric company‼️‼️‼️Customer service does absolutely NOTHING, all they do is LIE‼️‼️‼️ Please advise anyone you know to stay as far away from Vivint as possible‼️‼️

Oct 08, 2019

Hello Danny, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. If you have any questions or concerns you would like to speak about further please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review. Thank you.

Amy Boren
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT

They gave a quote that was so crazy expensive. Then we found out our homeowners association doesn't allow solar panels.

Oct 08, 2019

Hi Amy, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us an email at online-[email protected] if you have any questions or concerns that we can help resolve for you. Thank you!

Richard Dunn
October 2nd, 2019 Bensalem, PA DETAILS

Installed wrong. The phase matching device was not plugged in. Burned out microwave, 2 air conditioners, an attic fan and several power supplies.

Nov 18, 2018

Hi Richard, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

Michele Mallet
October 1st, 2019 Cream Ridge, NJ DETAILS

WE had Vivint install our system in MAy2019. Our house is on a golf course. One panel has damage they are claiming was from a golf ball hit. Vivant want us to pay $995 to replace the panel. They say in their contract they do not cover golf ball damage to their panels. Why would you install a system on a golf course home don't warranty that.?? This panel was damaged before the system was turned over to us us. They said try and go through our home owners policy. We have a 1500 deductible. Vivant said if homeowners would not cover they would work with us. Nothing. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! Awful customer service department

Oct 01, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Michele. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can take a closer look. Thank you!

Tanis
September 27th, 2019 Orange, NJ DETAILS

Vivint Solar has a poor billing system. I have called numerous times to correct their billing errors. I always get the same answer. They want me to just pay the bill and they will correct the problem in one to two billing cycles. That's a joke. What person pays for services not received. For 45 days we were not receiving production on our panels. We were informed by PSE&G that our bill was $750. I asked if there was in any solar production from our panel being used by PSE&G. The answer was NO. I contacted Vivint Solar and was informed that the panels weren't working. I was informed that because the panels weren't working we received and estimated bill based on how much energy the solar should have produced. I asked the representative about this problem and was told that they had over 5,000 customers and didn't have time to correct problems. I informed her that PSE&G has more than 5,000 customers and that was a stupid excuse. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They are a joke.

Oct 01, 2019

Oh no, Tanis! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

B Wood-Cloud
September 26th, 2019

Salesperson rude, condescending, unprofessional, and certainly made comments that you should be ashamed to have had him represent your company. A 90 year old man , who does not own the house, of which the salesperson was told, was being solicited to buy product. I, the owner of the house was notified by family, as I own the home. I asked him how to spell name of company and he told me “I was a big girl and could look it up [email protected] I told him to get off the property. If that is how prospective customers, you need to be out of business!!!!

Sep 27, 2019

Hello, we are sorry to hear about this experience. We would like to look into this further. Please send us an email to [email protected] with this review and any information you may have regarding the representative or your address so we can look into this. Thank you.

josephine
September 26th, 2019 Linthicum Heights, MD DETAILS

Vivint came out and told my mother she would never receive a bill or have rate increases. being elderly she trusted the gentleman and read/understood as much as she could on the contract asking him questions when she didn't. he completely lied to her through all 3 presentations and now that I am helping with her finances I find out that she does receive monthly bills and her energy rate goes up 2.9 percent every year. Again she is elderly and probably should have never even been allowed to sign on her own but read your contracts carefully. I found out she started at 10 cents is now at 12 cents due to the 2.9 percent rate increase per year and by the time her contract ends in 20 years she will be paying over 20 cents per KWH. Even BGE is only charging her 7 cents at the moment so how is she winning. She is now paying 5 cents more to Vivint per KWH then she actually is to BGE. She isn't saving anything and the solar panel company is making a profit off her and now I'm stuck and don't know what to do.

Sep 27, 2019

Josephine, again we are sorry to hear about this. Please send us an email to [email protected] with the address and this review so we can look into this. Thank you.

Jack
September 19th, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS

I inherited this lease when I purchased my home this year. This company is honestly the worse utility company I have ever dealt with. After six months of dealing with them I have yet to receive a statement or bill. I am forced to call them to find out how much I owe, basically doing their job for them. Their website tells you that you’ll talk to a human but in reality you won’t, you’ll go thru an automated menu, then you’ll wait in queue and then you might eventually talk to a person. Basically, they are an incompetent company, zero communication skills, and horrible customer service. How hard can it be to provide someone with a statement of how much they owe, every other utility company switched me in a matter of minutes. After six months, a score of phone calls, a plethora of emails, they still haven’t figured out how to bill me. I get snapshots of my usage and past-due account balance notifications via email so I know I’m in their system, however, no statement to date. So I have stopped paying because I don’t know how much I owe and I am now looking into legal actions to break the lease.

Sep 27, 2019

Thanks for letting us know, Jack. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience with us. We're sorry to hear you continue to experience issues with your billing. Can you please send us an email to [email protected] with your address so we can look into this? Thanks!

H. Kirby
September 18th, 2019 Boonsboro, MD DETAILS

A terrible company to do business with. Too many issues of with bad communications to list here. They always respond late or not at all regarding installation, billing, or any service. My panels were installed on my 21 year old roof and they said it was okay. A year later after problems with my roof, I had to pay them for the panels to be removed, in order to replace the roof. Now that I'm trying to refinance my home for other improvements, I find that they have language in the contract to place themselves on my home title. And Vivint won't remove themselves from the title to allow my refinance to go through. This very suspicious considering they don't have my wife's signature on the contract. Don't sign the companies digital contract that the sales person presents, because you won't see the hidden details of the contract.

Sep 27, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address so we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Michael LoRusso
September 18th, 2019 Hamden, CT DETAILS

One of the worst moves I have ever made was to sign up with Vivint. The salesman lied about savings(There isn't any), pricing and customer service. Installed in Feb '18 and finally running in May '19. Spoke to someone about my roof leaking after installation. It is Sept '19 and still have not received any response from company. My electric bills are now at least $60.00 a month more than when I just had UI. I HAVE NOW SHUT THE SOLAR OFF

Sep 27, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Michael. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your address so we can help you out? Thanks!

Tracy O
September 13th, 2019 Suffield, CT DETAILS

Less than zero stars if possible. they are twice as much as my electric, and have not saved me any money. they will not return calls or explain how this is possible. I am highly disappointed and this is the worst decision I've made

Yanitze Chucuan
September 11th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

Same case as ( The below person ) literally stuck with two extra high bills edison and solar panels! And my husband and i are home if anything 4 hrs a day !!!! ——————————————- We purchased a home that had just recently been outfitted with Vivint Solar Panels. During the process of closing on the home loan we were informed (by our realtor) that we would need to have the solar contract reassigned to us. This was literally days before we were to close. The previous owner led us to believe it was just part of the home sale. (Not Vivint's fault) However, we also later learned that Vivint had been notified of the sale of the home by our real estate agent. In the rush to get the loan closed and due to our total lack of knowledge regarding solar systems and the contracts that go with them, we requested the paperwork to complete the process. AT NO TIME did Vivint offer to provide us with a detailed overview and explanation of the contract terms for what I later learned was a "lease" not even a purchase. We blindly and hastily signed the necessary paperwork, something I regret deeply now and in hindsight AFTER finally getting a copy of the formal contract. When I read it I felt like the biggest sucker on the planet. It's a 20 year lease, the payments started at about $120 per month, but they increase every year by 3%. Do the math and see how much my power bill will be in 20 years...when I'm retired and living on a fixed income and the panels are less effective due to age. I take responsibility for not demanding more transparency on Vivint's part but I also feel Vivint had no interest in being proactive in letting me know what I was signing up for during a very hectic and busy time as we were closing on a home loan. In hindsight, I would never have signed those documents and likely not purchased the home. If I was going to get solar panels I would have done a purchase agreement, not a lease. I contacted Vivint after reading the lease agreement. I explained the situation. I acknowledged my fault in signing the agreement but also explaining that I felt I was misinformed and not given the information I needed to be informed until after the fact. The man on the phone was very curt and basically said too bad, but not in those words. I asked if it would be possible to change my contract to a purchase agreement rather than a lease. He put me on hold and when he came back he said I could purchase the agreement for $75,000. At that point I just hung up. My experience with Vivint has been less than satisfactory and my only interactions with personnel were not pleasant. Their lease agreements are not advantageous to the customer. You get none of the tax benefits. You can't participate in any of the government rebate programs and you don't get the benefit of selling your excess power production back to the grid. You're stuck with a payment that gradually increases every year for 20 years. I don't know what happens after that. A new roof I guess. I can not, in good conscience recommend Vivint for solar power. They have been sued by numerous states for deceptive sales practices by their door to door sales people and have settled most of them out of court so as to keep the details out of public view. But if you dig, you can find enough to dissuade you. I had hoped to at least have the opportunity to change my situation, knowing I am stuck in a contract with no recourse unless a class action suit is brought by other customers in the state of Utah. That's likely not going to happen because Vivint is a Utah company and I'm sure has many friends and allies up on the hill at the state capital. All I can do is share my honest frustrations in a review based on my own experience. I wish Vivint was more transparent and actually cared more about the customer. I'm sure they have some happy customers. Had I been treated differently and my situation handled better from the beginning I would be one too. I'll never know. I'm stuck in what appears to be a no-win situation.

Randy Scoville
September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

A rep came to my door. I have a no soliciting sign on my door. They knocked anyway. I kindly explained that I had a solar quote already and didn't do it. They were aggressive in saying that I didn't fully understand, and that if I did, I would buy.

Sep 04, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Randy. We completely understand your frustration! If you have the representatives name or their badge ID please feel free to email us at [email protected] Thank you for your feedback.

ERIK B
August 27th, 2019 Bondsville, MA DETAILS

I WISH I COULD LEAVE A ZERO STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWFUL COMPANY, DON'T DO IT. THEY SUPPOSEDLY INSPECTED THE ROOF AND SAID IT WAS FINE TO INSTALL SOLAR. WELL SHORT TIME LATER, I NEED A NEW ROOF AND NOW THEY WANT $2,900 TO TAKE THE PANELS OFF AND RE-INSTALL THEM, AFTER I WAS TOLD IN THE BEGINING IT WOULD BE AROUND $500. I AM CONTACTING THE ATT. GENERAL'S OFFICE AND THE BBB AND ANYONE ELSE TO GET THIS DAMAGING CRAP OFF OF MY ROOF. THEY TOTALLY MIS-REPRESENTED THEMSELVES AND LIED ABOUT THE ROOF. EITHER THERE INSPECTOR WAS A MORON OR THEY LIED TO ME.

Aug 27, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Erik. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thank you.

Gregory Tausch
August 23rd, 2019 Brooklyn, MD DETAILS

Worst customer service experienced ever. No one answers the phone and no one calls back if you leave a message. The power offset that was promised is not there. My electric bill remains the same amount of usage with or without the system. I can't get any help from anyone because all they care about is if their system is running so they can collect their payments. They have zero interest in helping me get the system working properly.

Aug 23, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Gregory. We completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable but sometimes we do make mistakes. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Jim Dyer
August 20th, 2019 Roslindale, MA DETAILS

I'm a Vivint Solar customer since August of '17, and so far everything is exactly as agreed upon. I pay only for the energy provided by the sun, and the monthly bill is the price I expect to pay, calculated by energy produced. Recently, I calculated the 2.9% annual increase that I will pay over the life of the 20 year contract. My contract started at .159 (or 15.9 cents) per kWh and at the end of 20 years, that number will slowly increase to approx. 28.3 cents. I looked at an electricity bill prior to being on solar, and calculated the cost of the entire bill (all delivery charges, fees, etc. added in), divided by the kWh usage, and came out to 28.3 cents per kWh at that time. That tells me that, even at the end of my 20 years of increases, Vivin't rate will never be higher than the grid rate - unless the grid rate should drop significantly... Also, there are no taxes or fees. I pay exactly the rate times the energy produced, and nothing more. A small added benefit: Through Net-metering, the energy I sell back to the grid gets credited to me, currently at the rate of 20 to 22 cents per kWh. I (currently) pay 16.4 cents. So, for every 100 kWh I get credited for, I'm making $4.00 - $6.00 more than what I paid for it. And when grid electricity goes up, I'm sure the credit back to me will increase. Not too shabby. If I were to buy and own the solar panels outright, I would have virtually no payments to the grid. However, the upfront cost would run me around 14K after tax incentives. My plan didn't cost me a penny, just the 20 year contract for cheaper and green electricity. Also, at no cost to me, before getting the panels installed on my roof, Vivint set me up with new electric service, from the street to my home to a new circuit-breaker panel box. They also upgraded my service from 60 to 100 amps. If I were to have that done on my own, I'd have to pay an electrician a few thousand dollars out of pocket. Just an added bonus in my Vivint experience. Two-years in, I'm interested to know what kind of buyout offer I'll be presented with just after year 6 into the contract. I like knowing that any maintenance which may be required for the duration of the contract is not my concern, so in four years, I'll have to do much consideration on that buyout offer. Long story short (oops, too late), Vivint has cost me less for my electricity and I love being green.

Aug 23, 2019

Your review brightened our day, Jim! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Karen
August 20th, 2019 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS

The purchase and installation was very smooth. We liked that we paid very little for our monthly power payment. However we found that we need to repair our roof about a month ago. We have call many times to contact Vivint for help with the removal and reinstall. Only once after a very very long hold were we able to speak to someone who informed us of the charge to do this. We paid the fee and were told that we would be contacted for scheduling. No news! Our roofing contractor keeps asking when they can start. ??? If we could just get a hold of Vivint to schedule that would be great. Every time we call we are on hold for 30 + minutes. It would be great if we had tons of time to just wait but we work. So we are just very frustrated. Just answer for phone. For real.

Aug 23, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Karen. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thanks you!

Gordon Gibb
August 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Excellent design and installation of our system. The app lets me monitor my electricity generation at any time.

Aug 20, 2019

Thanks for your review, Gordon! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

George Joseph
August 16th, 2019 North Haven, CT

It has been almost a year I signed up the contract and still working on it. Customer service is so poor and it takes forever to get a response. I will never recommend them to anyone.

Aug 16, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your information and review so we can look into this? Thank you.

William S. Beck
August 16th, 2019 Henderson, NV DETAILS

Once equipment was installed it took two months to get it activated. They do not send bills on time, but give you a hard time if you don't pay on time. They prefer deduction directly from your account rather than Bill. If given a choice, I would not recommend Vivint Solar to my worst enemy, and definitely not a friend or relative.

Aug 16, 2019

We apologize for dropping the ball on your experience. Customer service is really important to us, but sometimes we make mistakes. We'd love to look into this for you. Please send us a private message with your account information so we can help you. Thank you for your patience!

Kathy
August 14th, 2019 Warrington, PA DETAILS

We have had Vivint for several years now and it has been great. Our electric bill dropped immediately. Most spring/summer/fall months our electric bill is under $20. And the solar portion is about 1/2 of what the original electric bill was. Our house is total electric so this makes a big difference. The install took a while due to permits and all, but when the finally were able to install the system all went smoothly, fast and they cleaned up after themselves. Overall I am very pleased

Aug 16, 2019

Thanks for your review, Kathy! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you and we're delighted that you're part of our solar community. Thanks for doing your part to protect our earth.