Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract — often at a lower rate than their electric bill.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and PACE financing. Both cash purchases and solar loans allow homeowners to take full advantage of the federal solar tax credit and other incentives.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the solar panel system–produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, Vivint solar panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the solar panel installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar system. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistent.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after system installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

3.2

Daniel Colson

April 18th, 2020 Woodbridge, VA

I was very satisfied with the installation crew and their coordinated team effort to install the panels and the hook up. Everyone had their own part to do and the did it professionally took the time necessary to get it done right. When they arrived I consulted the the electrical connect specialist for the location of the disconnect switch and other outside box. Since we were planning to have a 4-seasons room the boxes had to be installed on another part of the house. After advising what we were planning, he took action and did exactly what was needed. His work was extremely precise and was aesthetically pleasing. The team cleaned up very well and it was a pleasure to see a team work so well together.

Apr 28, 2020

Your review brightened our day, Daniel! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Chett Boxley

April 4th, 2020 Park City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great product! It is working well, and my electric bills are practically gone! Love it

Apr 28, 2020

Wow, way to go Chett! We're so happy to hear that your clean energy is making a positive impact. Thank you for choosing us as you do your part to protect the planet. Keep up the good energy!

Ye Tang

October 30th, 2020 Waltham, MA

Both the sales and installation team are very professional. They provide satisfactory answers to all my concerns and questions. It is a great experience to have Vivint solar to do my house solar panel. Cheer for them!

Oct 30, 2020

Thanks for your review, Ye! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Mike

October 30th, 2020 Dorchester, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They just installed my panels. Great guys, very professional. Nice neat job.

Oct 30, 2020

This is awesome, Mike! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

John B Grizzard

October 30th, 2020 Chicago, IL

Very fast and efficient came on time did a great job

Oct 30, 2020

Your review brightened our day, John! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Deb

October 25th, 2020 Haverhill, MA

Vivint Solar Crew were on time, Friendly, Respectful of property, attention to detail, safety procedures used. Actually my Husband & I rate these guys “Big 10”. Thank you so much 😌

Oct 26, 2020

This is awesome, Deb! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

jonathan hopkins

October 25th, 2020 Farmingdale, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Except for scheduling the installation, crew and Joreen were excellent

Oct 26, 2020

Jonathan, thank you for leaving us a review! We're happy to hear that you had a good experience with our team! Please reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any questions. Thank you!

Justin Choi

October 23rd, 2020 Chino Hills, CA

From the start to installation, everyone I've met has been extremely professional and helpful. Our sales reps Don R and Curtis have always answered my calls and questions in a timely manner - never had to wonder what was happening next. The installation team worked hard despite the hot weather in southern California. I do have specific feedback on scheduling. The installation was spread out over 3 days which is fine because it is a big job, but the central dispatch keep saying "4 hours" - which is not the best estimate. Just be more clear with the timetable.

Oct 26, 2020

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Justin! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Alex Balce

October 22nd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

Installers are professional & safety conscious

Oct 26, 2020

Thank you for leaving us a review, Alex!

Nancy Perry

October 21st, 2020 El Cajon, CA

Everyone was very polite and informative. They all work protective safety gear and very professional. I would recommend them to all my friends.

Oct 26, 2020

This is awesome, Nancy! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Karena

October 19th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint Solar (also called SunRun) is a company that will woo you into thinking they are customer-oriented, responsive, and helpful. Their sales-team is on the ball, ready to get you to sign their contract. When they talk you through the contract, it looks like a win-win situation. This is what they tout: "No up front cost! You pay less per kwh than your local utility company! It's a win-win for the environment and for your utility bill!" I was so ready to do my part for the fight against climate change and start using solar energy, plus get a huge discount on my bill, but I did not read the fine print of the contract. You will sign your life away by signing this contract! Do not do it! I originally found Vivint Solar while walking through Costco. I always trusted Costco products and services, so it didn't occur to me to doubt this company. If I had only read a few of the reviews, I would have known better. Through the Costco contract, I was going to take out a loan and buy the solar panels. However, Vivint Solar convinced me that leasing was the better way to go. They baited me, and then switched me to their lease contract, which is completely one-sided. You can't get out of it! Once you have signed a contract and the panels are up on your roof, there is no going back, and they forget all about you. No more customer service. They just don't care about you anymore. Here is the reality: 1) Your utility bill does NOT go down. It goes UP. Read the fine print! You have to pay for all of the energy your solar panels PRODUCE. Not the energy that you CONSUME. So, if you live in a sunny climate, your panels are going to be constantly producing energy. You will PAY for this energy! Even if you are away on a trip, not using any energy. It's not what you consume, it's what the panels produce! You will see other reviews where people have tried to cover their panels with black tarps, so that they will stop producing energy. But this is in breach of the contract. It states specifically that you cannot obstruct the panels in any way from sunlight. 2) They say they will never place a lien on your home. Guess what? They not only placed a lien on my home, they placed TWO liens on my home! I couldn't sell my house! By the way, a UCC-1 Financing Statement is a lien. It's the same thing. 3) You have to pay them for 20 years! And every year you will see a 2.9% increase. Which is way higher than any increase you will see from your local utility company. Eventually, you are going to be paying through the roof for leasing those solar panels from Vivint. 4) If your roof needs repairing? Forget it. This is where their customer service starts to fail miserably. You need to give them at least 30 days notice. You have to pay a fee to remove and reinstall the panels. You can never get a hold of them. Never mind if your roof is leaking and monsoon season is starting up. If you actually do talk with someone who knows what they're talking about, and has any authority, then it will take 30 days for them to even cash your check. Then they will call you to set up a date another 15 days after that for a team to come remove the panels. It is a pain to get ahold of anyone who can actually help you. By the way, I found out my roof had over 90% hail damage from a storm that occurred before the panels were installed. This means Vivint solar installed their panels on an already damaged roof, even though they told me they did a thorough inspection beforehand. 4) If you move these are your options: a-you can transfer the system to the new homeowner, b-you can take the system with you, at your own expense and provided that your new home is located within their service territory AND where the sun exposure is not less than your current property. c-you can buy the system from them, whatever the price that they set! So, in my case, the new homeowner did not want solar panels from Vivint Solar (imagine that, they actually read the reviews). I could not take the panels with me because I was moving to a location where Vivint did not provide service, so my only option was to buy the panels. I could not get out of the contract any other way. How much do you ask? I had to buy them for $20,000!! This is way higher than if you were to just buy some solar panels on your own. And again, trying to get ahold of customer service and then anyone who could actually tell me how much it was going to be to buy myself out of the contract was nearly impossible. Managers are reluctant to help you and never call you back. I finally called Costco, and they helped me get ahold of someone with authority. Bottom line, if you're going to go with Vivint Solar, only do a purchase contract through Costco, so you have another company backing you up. Do not sign a lease agreement! Read the fine print. Or just don't do it. Go with a different solar company.

Oct 26, 2020

Oh no, Karena! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this. Thank you!

Lisa Brege

October 18th, 2020 Buffalo Grove, IL

Really had a great experience working with Vivint! Stacey was great to work with- very patient, and responds quickly to my inquiries. The only suggestion I have is when I stalling the panels- please try to schedule the whole job I. 1 day. The guys had to come back- on a Saturday but it was early in the AM. Made for a long day- but the guys were also great to work with! Clean, respectful and courteous!

Oct 26, 2020

Lisa, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Carol Gerstung

October 17th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have your Solid equipment , we need to know who to contact to get our panels cleaned and service our equipment!!!! I cannot find a number to call for service and that was part of our agreement that they would clean and maintain our equipment !! Please help ! Carol Gerstung

Oct 26, 2020

Hi Carol, thanks for reaching out. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help answer your questions regarding cleaning and servicing the solar panels. Thank you!

Jdagossh

October 17th, 2020 Menifee, CA

I am very impressed with your sales reps they are very personable, patient, and educated in the ins and outs of your product. It was an overall pleasant experience. The installers were also polite and Tidy.

Oct 26, 2020

Thanks for your review! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Karen

October 16th, 2020 Bellmore, NY

Absolutely wonderful very professional very neat easy to talk to great group of guys I would recommend them to anyone!!

Oct 16, 2020

Your review brightened our day, Karen! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Gil

October 15th, 2020 Escondido, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am very unhappy with this company with the way they treat customer . I signed a contract to install solar panels a year ago and in that contract says that if my roof gets damage it will get fix, well my roof started to show water damage in one area i contact them via email firs they responded saying that they will get back to me with in 2 business days which they never did i am the one calling them to figurate out what are they going to do ;I am very frustrate i will look into all of my options including suing them.

Oct 16, 2020

We're so sorry to hear this, Gil. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Myrtle Johnson

October 8th, 2020 Brentwood, NY

They are efficient and professional . They were able to provide the service promised.

Oct 12, 2020

Your review brightened our day, Myrtle! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

CSCade

October 7th, 2020 Hyattsville, MD

Great customer service and great product. Like the sleek look of these solar panels. Looking forward to saving on our electric bill!

Oct 12, 2020

Thanks for your review! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Kent Shebelut

October 3rd, 2020 Visalia, CA

From seller to project manager to installers; I have no complaints. Everyone was very professional and pleasant. Communication was great and everyone cared about me, the customer, and not just about “doing a job”. Very happy with my experience.

Oct 06, 2020

Thanks for your review, Kent! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Rich

October 2nd, 2020 San Diego, CA

Our sales rep Shelby was very knowledgeable and patient as she answered our questions and maintained positive, timely communications with us throughout the process.

Oct 05, 2020

Rich, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Snehanshu Ashar

September 26th, 2020 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought a home with purchased Vivint solar system in August. The previous owners reached out to Vivint in mid-July to transfer the solar to me, but I discovered now in September that the transfer was not yet completed. Their customer service is impossible to get to by phone, it ends up in a voicemail box that is full! The chat feature on their website works, but I heard absurd things there such as I can only be added as an authorized user by the previous owner, and a transfer cannot be done. So, on one track, I started the process of becoming an authorized user, and finally was able to login to Vivint and verify that my system was down. The previous owners were very nice and forward their conversation with Vivint, and so when I followed up on that email, the transfer person resumed the transfer process that was put on hold for some unknown reason. They asked me to send information that the previous owners had already provided as part of the transfer process, which I did. I am still not sure where they are at on the transfer. After spending days running around to get my account approved, when I was finally able to login, I discovered that my Solar production was down for more than a month :( Now I am waiting for the next step by Vivint in troubleshooting my solar production. The most annoying parts of dealing with them were: 1. Terrible careless customer service in the transfer process (inaction for two months after the previous owners provided all necessary details). 2. Run-arround and confusion on the transfer: One rep says I can only be added as an authorized user while the other is continuing the transfer process in parallen. 3. A customer support line that has long wait times, and then ends in a voicemail box that is full. There is also an option for requesting a callback on the customer service line, and guess what... when that callback happens, I get to hear the voicemail box full message!!

Sep 29, 2020

Oh no, Snehanshu! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this. Thank you!

Nicole Zappi

September 25th, 2020 Wilmington, DE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don't suggest this company at all!!! Seriously too many problems to even list with them and once you're locked in there's no way out no matter how many problems you have with them. I still receive an electric bill ontop of the vivint bill. Their customer service is atrocious and none of them have any common sense or even knows about the company they work for and if they ruined your roof while installing they tell you it wasn't them, never did i have a leak in my roof till vivint came along and I had three separate rooting companies tell me it was vivint NOT natural causes from the weather. Either do some serious shopping around for a reputable solar company or just dont get them at all because with vivint you're in for years of locked in headaches and nothing but aggravation. If I could give this company negative stars I would.

Sep 28, 2020

Oh no, Nicole! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this. Thank you!

John cameron

September 24th, 2020 Dublin, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I already had my own 2K system, but needed a little more. The rep said I would only pay for the kilowatts I needed and it would be cheaper than PG&E. I’ve been paying 200.00 a month to Vivint, 3 times what my electricity bill was before I even had my own 2K system. I’m being totally ripped off, and so far nothing from them. If the whole premise is to save money on your electric bill then they’ve failed big time!

Sep 25, 2020

Thank you for reaching out to us, John. We definitely want you to experience all the benefits of solar. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected]solar.com so we can see if it's something on our end. Thanks!

Tracy Tish

September 23rd, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst customer service imaginable. It took them at least 10 (maybe 20?)tries to produce the correct paperwork for me to sign and assume a lease. Then, they began billing me at the wrong rate. I have had at least 50 (no exaggeration - they call me every day) conversations with folks from Vivint trying to resolve the problem. The billing/collections department simply runs thru the script and asks me for money. I explain that I have opened a customer service case because I am being invoiced at the incorrect amount, at which point they apologize and transfer me to the customer service department. The customer service department says they have to investigate, and they put me on hold. The customer service agent comes back on the line and says, typically, something to the effect of "oh yes, we have an issue to resolve, and once we resolve it we will let you know." I can practically recite what they are going to say before they say it. The next day, I get another phone call from billing/collections. I mostly ignore them, but about once a week or so I answer, just to see if they have made any progress in correcting my lease rate. It's been months, and we're still on the hamster wheel. I get phone calls and emails every day. I have told them that they are welcome to come and retrieve their solar panels at any point. The solar panels seem to be working fine by the way, but let's be honest, those things are almost a commodity. The distinguishing characteristic between solar companies is their service, and Vivint gets a zero on that score.

Sep 25, 2020

Thanks for reaching out, Tracy. Customer service is really important to us, and we'd love to look further into this for you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Passorn Jamkajornkiat

September 17th, 2020 Arlington Heights, IL

Tech came very quick for the installation and did pretty neat job

Sep 21, 2020

Passorn, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Bruce

September 15th, 2020 Mission Viejo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint Solar has been unresponsive to attempts to complete my solar project. Installation 5 1/2 weeks ago and no end in site to getting it inspected and permission to operate. Project started 4 months ago and since they have been paid in full, they simply do not care. All I have been given are lies.

Sep 15, 2020

Thanks for letting us know, Bruce. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience with us. We're sorry to hear that it's taking longer than expected. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so we can look at your account. Thank you!

Mike Gorden

September 13th, 2020 Clovis, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had them going on 7 years plus and I would say this: Worst customer service I have ever experienced! They will not tell you the truth! I’m trying to reroof and get them to remove panels to get the reroof done and been nothing but a pain! This company is just a nightmare and stay away from them! Lease panels own them don’t deal with Vivint! Will take years off your life and buyer beware

Sep 14, 2020

We're so sorry to hear this, Mike. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Sam

September 11th, 2020 San Diego, CA

I've had Vivint solar for about two years now. I first heard of them from my father-in-law who said good things about them. strangely enough they showed up at my house a week later. At first I declined, but then after hearing my father-in-law boast about them more I decided to give it a try. It did take a while for them to get things going. We did not have to pay for the solar panels or installment. They did fix our roof for putting the solar panels in and all for free. The upside is the salesperson told us that if we did the PPA and that not only would we get the solar panel, roof repair for free we would only have to pay for the power that we used. Sounds great right? I did a little bit of research before we signed the contract, of course nothing is ever completely free or if it is there is something hidden behind it. After doing a little bit of research, I found out that some of these solar companies that give their solar panels for "free" put a lien on your home. There was nothing in the contract that said outright anything about a lean, but there was a particular part of the contract "fixture filing" or a "UCC 1,2,3". The salesperson kept reassuring me that they would not put a lien on my home. so I decided to bring the contract to my mortgage company and have them take a look at it. They confirmed to me that these terms are putting a lien on my home. After I brought the back to Vivint solar, they still kept insisting that this wasn't a lien on the home that it was just security. When a homeowner leases a solar panel system from a TPO or goes through a PPA, the owner of that solar panel system files a UCC-1 financing statement to show that they are the true owners of the property that is the system. This would prevent the bank from claiming the solar system as part of the homeowner's property. If a homeowner chooses to refianance their home they will need to pay off the solar loan otherwise your chance for refinancing may not be possible. I didn't know the extent of the few statements that are above, so I went with the salesperson and decided to go through solor with Vivint. Literally nothing came out of my pocket with the solar installments and the roof repair and I just couldn't pass up a good deal, but after having Vivint solar for two years I realized their customer service is horrible. Not only that my energy bill hadn't changed much at all. At sometimes my bill was higher than it was before having to pay Vivint and SDG& E. And then when we decided to refinance we did find out that Vivint solar put a lien on our home. We were still able to refinance but it pushed the process back because we had to take the lean off our home because of Vivint solar. I called to complain to Vivint solar and told them to tell them they were liars, but it took so long to try to get a hold of anybody and I had so much going on that I ended up giving up. I have friends with solar and they tell me they don't pay any thing for energy because their panels produce enough energy and they questioned why I was still paying so much. The way Vivint explained it to me was that my solar panels weren't producing enough. But on weeks where the sun was blazing on my solar panels it wasn't producing enough? I just don't get it and I regret getting solar from Vivint solar. Don't make the mistakes that I made and go do your research and find the best company that works for you.

Sep 11, 2020

Hi Sam, thanks for reaching out. Vivint Solar does not place lien's on customer's property, so we apologize for any misunderstanding. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns regarding savings. Thank you!

R Stratton

September 10th, 2020 Santa Ana, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wished I would have read or found this website before I signed with them. I have 3 Tesla systems and so unhappy with Tesla that I would love to take a truck and yank them off my roofs. The systems are problematic and customer service is of the charts terrible. I needed additional generation on one system so I got hooked by Vivint at Costco. Their customer service makes Tesla look like angels. I have been waiting for more than a few weeks to get okayed to have the system turned on. Delay after delay, story after story and no one will return my calls accept a person from an asian country whose first language is not English. I am ready to take the system off my roof and throw it it the street.

Sep 10, 2020

Oh no! We are sorry to hear that the preparation process is taking a long time. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so we can look into this. Thank you.

AnnaK

September 4th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

Absolutely dissatisfied with the service, actually, lack of service! We were told repeatedly that the entire process from installation to activation could take up to six weeks. We waited patiently. 3 weeks went by after the panels were installed and we had t heard from anyone. A week later, we called to check on the status. We were told someone would get back to us soon. A week later, no one contacted us so we called again. We’re told the same thing. A week later we called again-we were on week number 6 so my husband refused to get off the phone until he could speak to someone that would get us moving again. After four transfers he finally got someone to set up what we thought was the last step, final inspection. We just had the final inspection and a day later get an email that they are processing our paperwork and it could take 2 weeks to 40 days to complete! This is unacceptable!

Sep 09, 2020

Thanks for letting us know, Anna. We're so sorry it's taking longer than what was discussed. We don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help speed things up? Thanks!

Jenny Hall

September 1st, 2020 Belvidere, IL

So far happy with the process. Vivint Solar did all the paperwork and scheduling and kept us updated every step of the way. Excited for connection and improving our carbon footprint while saving money!

Sep 01, 2020

Jenny, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Christy Stewart

August 27th, 2020 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give them zero stars I would. Their customer service is deplorable. The keep you in their hamster wheel hoping if they ignore you for long enough you will just go away. Over 2hr wait times just to speak to a representative and they ignore your emails. If you are considering Vivint for anything, RUN!!

Aug 27, 2020

Christy, we appreciate your feedback. A specialist is assigned to your case and will reach out to you soon to continue helping to resolve your concerns. Thank you.

Andrea

August 26th, 2020 Union City, CA

Everyone is polite, professional, and great work work with!

Aug 27, 2020

Your review brightened our day, Andrea! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

BillF

August 25th, 2020 South West Bend, ME DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My 86 year old dad entered into a 20 year contract with Vivint - we asked what happens when he needs to sell house for his health care - no one would answer me expect to say we would sell the solar panels also. I don't think so! I want them removed but no one will give us an answer on how to do this. I truly think it was unscrupulous of the sales person to have my dad enter into a 20 year contract. When I contacted customer service to get anwers, I get passed from one person to another. The contract doesn't even say how this can be done. Also, signature on contract is absolutely not my dads.

Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for reaching out, Bill. We're so sorry to hear about your concerns. Please send your dad's name and address to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns and answers any questions that you have. Thank you!

Vera Machado

August 23rd, 2020 Union, NJ

For now i have nothing to complain about,but i still don't have the service activated.

Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for your review, Vera. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can check on the status of your solar panels. Thank you!

Mark SCHWARTZ

August 22nd, 2020 Albuquerque, NM

All employees were very helpful and efficient. Our rep kept us informed and was right on top of the home owners assoc approval letter . The actual installers were all friendly and efficient also. They showed up when they said they would and were completed when they said also

Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for your review, Mark! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Manuel Tull

August 20th, 2020 Hazlet, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I called vivant solar in September of 2019, they installed in November. quickly, but then nothing from them till late may 2020 .,that they are going to start the system? soon. I get a call and date, June 12 2020 they need someone home ., but then I get a bill for Vivant for may 22 to June 12? 53.68. but they didn't start the system or turn it on until 6/12/2020, and till today I still owe them that money cause ever time I pay the bill and they add the 53.68 I subtract it from the payment. now I am paying Jersey light and vivant more then I paid just NJ power& light.? Vivint's billed me 180 something, 127.30 - 53.68 and NJ light billed me $72 ,when my bill from NJ light was $150? do the math. I called vivant several times with no help or resolve. thinking about just changing solar companies since Vivant has done me wrong so many times. I have neighbors who asked me about them? till they get their shit vivant has void my contract in so many ways, I cant in good faith recommend them. they need to put more panels on my roof to make a difference and removed the 53.68 that I never got service for?.

Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for reaching out to us, Manuel. We definitely want you to experience all the benefits of solar. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected] so we can see if it's something on our end. Thanks!

Kristen Naylor

August 20th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had the panels for over 2 years and for the most of that times things have been going smoothly until May. I noticed in July that our power generation had been going down since April by half by June. I contacted Vivint and they discovered that half of my panels werent working. They came and fixed them by the end of July. So from about half of May, all do June and all of July I wasnt sending any power back to the power grid since its summer and hot we were using all that was being generated. I called yesterday when I didnt get any response to my email sent last week about how I am already being charged for power because of not all of the panels not work. I was told that Vivint doesnt guarantee how much power the panels generate so I wont be compensated for the power I am now and more than likely will pay during the winter. They also said they wouldnt compensate me because some of my panels were working. I have a problem with that since they can look at last years generation number and see how much I did send back to the grid and compensate me. If I was a new customer it would be harder but we have been using them for over 2 years, this is our 3rd summer so there is record of how much we use and how much is sent to the grid. So yes up front they are great but when there is a problem they screw you over.

Aug 21, 2020

Wow, we understand the frustration, Kristen. We're so sorry you experienced this. Please send your address and review to [email protected] and we would be happy to resolve this for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Butch Granieri

August 19th, 2020 Houston, TX

Everybody has been upfront and friendly and they 1st came out about a year ago and I decided not to do it and I told him I would consider it later they came back and we decided to do it and they've done a very good job and the communicate very well and I've been happy so far

Aug 20, 2020

Butch, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Charlene

August 16th, 2020 Wallingford, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vibrant has been a nightmare to deal with. I’ve read other 1 star reviews and we’ve had the same problems. I suggest placing a complaint on the BBB website. We did and the next day we miraculously got a phone call and email! Our situation was completed in about 2 weeks (panel removal, new roof and re-installation) but that is thanks to my husband nagging the specialist. I will NEVER recommend Vivant regardless of finally getting something done. I thought my husband was going to have a stroke over the crap they spew. I understand they have been bought out by SunRun. I hope they do better because the contact we signed was not what we thought it was. This may be our fault for not researching and asking enough questions but we fell for their crap. Please do better for us SunRun!

Aug 17, 2020

Charlene, we are so sorry to hear this. It looks like you are already working with a specialist to resolve your concerns. Please reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you.

Tweetie4

August 13th, 2020 Matawan, NJ

I’ve just had the panels installed...the crew got it done quickly with no problems. My only suggestion is that they clean up ...when drilling for the electric they left a mess in my house and my landscape was also messed up

Aug 13, 2020

Thanks for your review! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns regarding the clean up. Thank you!

Monti

August 10th, 2020 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would like to not even grace the rating with a star. During the installation they were very attentive and promised us very low bills - 'we wouldn't even get an electric bill!' This is for a summer house which is unoccupied for large parts of the year. We are now overcharged by over $1200/annum from what they were before without solar. We cannot get in touch with them EVER . We have complained to the Better Business Bureau which prompted a response from them but we were unable to return the call as their voice mailbox is full. We have also lodged a complaint with the state attorney general. It's been three years of this. Stay well away!

Aug 12, 2020

Oh no, Monti! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this. Thank you!

Patrick

July 29th, 2020 Visalia, CA

I met with a salesman today and was talked into getting the solar. I decided to do some research online and I'm very happy I did, I do not think I will be going with this company. They seem to not have a very good post installment relationship.

Jul 29, 2020

Patrick, we are so sorry to hear this! Customer service is really important to us, and our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable. Please reach out to us at [email protected]ntsolar.com if you have any questions or concerns that we can help resolve. Thank you!

David Schafer

July 27th, 2020 Sykesville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint Solar - I have had Solar Panels for a number of years that were provided by Vivint Solar. I was extremely happy on the front end of the transaction. They were nice and quickly set-up my panels. One of the key drivers was that for low cost they would remove, store and put back in place your panels if their was ever a need (i.e. Roof Repair). I thought this is a no brainer... lower electric cost, help the environment, and with little down side. Fast Forward to my roof needing repair... I have called repeated time to try and schedule an appointment, in fact, I am on hold as I type, going on 2 hours now. Now I will say there was a person available to take my money for the appointment. They were very available and free at that point. Then they passed me on to scheduling... I have been on hold for back to back days of at least 2-3 hours and still nothing. I have tried a number of different ways to contact them, Phone, E-mail, Live Chat. I even left a note for the CEO on the Vivint site, still nothing. I would be very very very afraid of entering into the 20 year contract they sell you. Buyer beware. They are non-responsive. I will need to hire a lawyer to get them to do what is in their contract. What a shame they made what I thought was a great idea and have become another non-customer focused company. Sell their goods and disappear

Jul 28, 2020

Hi David, thank you for letting us know. We have checked your account and can confirm that a removal appointment has been scheduled. We apologize for the delays, we have experienced slight disruptions due to COVID-19. Please email us at [email protected] if you have any further questions or concerns. Thanks!

Dave m

July 20th, 2020 Buzzards Bay, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far Vivint solar has been the most unorganized and slowest company that has done work for me. The reps don’t call you back, just one delay after the next. My panels have been installed for over three months and I am still waiting for the system to be activated. The whole summer is going to be gone before this system gets turned on. Aweful experience.

Jul 20, 2020

Thanks for letting us know, Dave. We're so sorry it's taking longer than what was discussed. We don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help speed things up? Thanks!

Andrea Steward

July 14th, 2020 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I took over the service when I bought my home. No one ever explained how the panels and billing worked and they never re-assessed my usage. As a result I just found out that I have been overproducing since I took over the service and have overpaid at least $2,000 over 2 years. When I tried to make a complaint I was sent through several different people and was never able to get any information (address, phone number, etc.) for their corporate office. Before they will due a curtailment and remove the excess panels, I have to sign an agreement that says it's a one time curtailment and that I can't file any more complaints (there's a lot of other stipulations that don't sound right). In the meantime I am still overproducing and unable to get any resolve.

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you so much for letting us know, Andrea. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help you out. Thank you!

happy customer

July 12th, 2020 Chula Vista, CA

I liked the excellent customer service that your sales manager Guy B provided. He was knowledgeable, informative, easygoing (not pushy at all), attentive (responded to questions right away) and professional. So far the entire experience from initial conversation to the install had been pleasant. One thing I do want to mention that I noticed at the start of the install was that one of the installation workers entered our home’s property without wearing a mask. It was brought up to the install person in charge and the issue was corrected immediately.

Jul 14, 2020

We're thrilled you had a good experience! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Jeanne Aken

July 11th, 2020 Union Grove, WI

The installation crew was efficient and polite. My current agent is responsive. I am frustrated that my records on paper and what the app thinks I owe is different, has been and seems to take Herculean effect to resolve. I am also sad that since my parents representative moved, they will not get credit for referring me.

Jul 14, 2020

Thanks for letting us know, Jeanne. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience with us. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so we can look at your account. Thank you!

Leonard lewis

July 11th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV

The company kept there word . Showed up on time began work and cleaned up when finished.

Jul 14, 2020

Your review brightened our day, Leonard! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Stuart Watson

July 11th, 2020 Visalia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that I got solar panels with no outta pocket expense. Super happy and have done both my houses with Vivint!

Jul 14, 2020

Stuart, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.