Vivint Solar verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

7.0

Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar panel systems. Vivint Solar was one of the first solar companies to offer a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces. A potential drawback of Vivint Solar is the delay in getting its solar systems up and running, as several customers have made this complaint on our site.

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including cash purchase, loan, lease, PPA, and PACE financing. With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to find a solar financing solution that best fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple to take care of your solar panels if you decide to move. You will be given four options if you choose to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new owner, pre-paying the agreement, relocating your system at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is currently available in 19 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Vermont. This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to go solar with Vivint.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with PPA
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays

Annual Price Increase with PPA

It should be noted that there is a pre-determined price increase with PPAs that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately. With Vivint, the price increase is set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar system within a day, some customers have had issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running. Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality throughout these delays.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar offers multiple financing options to help customers of all budgets make the switch to solar. Vivint Solar also provides consumers with multiple moving options. However, some consumer reviews left on our site have mentioned poor customer service from the company.

View Best Solar Companies

3.3

Carol Hinds

February 13th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA

BEWARE Vivint!!! I was shocked to drive by one of my rental houses in Desert Hot Springs in Sept. 2017 - to find Vivint installing a massive solar placement. I immediately had them stop since I had never authorized solar! I called & emailed them -- but they just kept passing me off to someone else. When I went to the City - I found that they had obtained a fraudulent permit for a $33,880 installation - signed by someone unknown to me. (I wasn't even in the state at that time). The tenants said the Salesman said he had all the paperwork needed from me, and that they would save "lots of money" every month - and could even take it with them if they moved. In November, I got a "non disclosure" agreement, calling it a "dispute" over the "Customer Agreement" HUH - I never signed one. They said their workers would "repair" my roof - but I could not even tell a future buyer about the repairs. My attorney has written them - but no response. So now it is February 2018 - and my newer tile roof still has 160 holes that they put in it - and there is still Vivint Electric boxes on the side of the house.

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Feb. 13, 2018

Carol, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Stefan

February 11th, 2018 Tampa, FL DETAILS

I loved it everyone else must have trees because it does what it says!

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Feb. 13, 2018

Stefan, thank you for going green with us and for your review.

Michael Bulzomi

February 4th, 2018 Holbrook, NY DETAILS

Company is terrible at repairing your system once you buy it. Been calling several times a week to get a repair person to my house, took 2 months.... He came late after dark and said I cant make a full assessment you need to reschedule, I did next appointment available 2 month wait again with no panels! I call several times speak to supervisors they cant even get anyone in to service my system that is suppose to be maintained by them. They dont care because guess what I bought the system and fianced it, so now they have no need to fix it fats they already got their money. Freaking joke between what the sales person says and what really happens in the company. The best kicker is that this is $37,000 system installed in april 2017 and system broke in July/August 2017. Now its Jan 2018 and still broken, this company sucks wish I went with almost anyone else. Thanks for nothing Vivint

Tuan Nguyen

February 2nd, 2018 Lowell, MA DETAILS

Stay away from this company! The sale team was great. The installation team was great. The customer service? The worst in the world. Think of your Comcast/cable company and multiply that by 10. Their system didn't report the usage correctly. I scheduled an appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. Nobody showed up. Nobody called. I called to schedule another appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. The technician called up several hours after the scheduled time and said he was running behind and couldn't make it. He said Customer Service would call me back to schedule another time. Nobody called me back. I complained on their Facebook page. They scheduled a tech to come out. Good thing, the tech came out this time. The problem couldn't be fixed. They scheduled another tech. The problem couldn't be fixed. Then they scheduled another tech. This time, this tech didn't show up, didn't call. I had to call Customer service up to schedule another appointment. They wasted hours of my time trying to be home to get their stupid system resolve. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Feb. 12, 2018

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. We would love to look into this matter further for you. Please email us the address or service number to [email protected] so that we can verify the account and further assist you.

Chris Hanke

February 1st, 2018 West Milford, NJ DETAILS

Don’t believe the Sales People with this company. I didn’t want Solar to begin with but the Sales Rep made sense. So we got installed and all was great. 4 months later and panels aren’t turned on and my first payment came out of my bank account. The sales rep is no where to be found and Vivint interconnection team can not get their stuff together for the paperwork the electric company is asking for .. so learn from me ... save the aggravation and don’t do it.

Aaron Pierce

January 31st, 2018

Horrible experience with Vivint. They authorized and signed a contract with a tenant of my house without consulting the owners (me) and installed a system on my roof. Proving to customer solutions that the installation was illegal and should immediately be removed, they are no longer returning my calls or emails and are absolutely dragging their feet to remove system. I may have to sue the company for damages to my home just to get the system removed from my house.

Lucie Schnell

January 31st, 2018 Levittown, NY DETAILS

Vivint Solor just sent me an email regarding my $5.00 monthly discount. It stated that if I do not switch to Auto payment that I will lose this monthly discount. However, our sales rep Nathan stated that I could use my debit card and that would not be a problem. I spoke to the billing department and they state that it was written in the contract and that I should have read the contract. That is correct; however, they're placing many pages in front of you to read and sign one may miss a thing or two. I was wrong to trust my sales rep Nathan, because he stated it was okay to use my debit card and get the discount, but he never mentioned that it was dependent on auto payment. Vivint Solar has been giving this discount to their customers at their discretion and now they have decided to enforce their contract. I find this practice miss leading. It personally feel like bait and switch. They give you one thing and that to keep that one thing you must switch to what they want you to do. I know some of you will read this and think it's only $5.00, but to me it about the company's honesty and honoring their word. Just remember I am one customer writing a review on this topic. How many more are affect by this. Therefore, for them not honoring their word I am only giving them one star.

Christine Garlow

January 30th, 2018 Palm Springs, CA DETAILS

Everything was smooth from start to finish. The sales representative was knowledgeable and very accesssble. I was surprised that it only took a little over a month to have my solar up and running! Highly recommended for the Palm Springs, Ca area.

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 31, 2018

We appreciate your review Christine. We are happy to hear that we could get your system up and running in a timely manner. We also appreciate your recommendation.

Randy wilson

January 26th, 2018 Indian Head, MD DETAILS

First off i purchased my system. The install went great and the system produces more than i expected. I give them 1 star for the monitoring of the system. Like i said i bought my system, but Vivint Solar will not allow me to monitor the individual performance of the panels, just the overall system performance. When asked for the access to monitor by panel I am told that while i own my system they own the monitoring rights....hmmm

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 30, 2018

Randy we do apologize to hear about this. We would like to look into this for you to see if there is something we can do for you. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Brian Tator

January 25th, 2018 Ghent, NY

Very professional and the whole process was quick and very clean and neat. Great co.

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 27, 2018

Brian its good to hear that we could make this a quick experience for you! Thank you for your review.

Willy mejia

January 25th, 2018 Montgomery Village, MD DETAILS

because they are very profesional and knowing abaut what thay doing

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 27, 2018

We are happy to hear that we were able to make this a professional experience for you Willy. We would like to say that we appreciate your review.

Gaja Andzel

January 20th, 2018 Yucaipa, CA DETAILS

I purchased a house with Vivint Solar system already installed. I had to continue using the system. Our experience is EXTREMELY negative, here is why: 1. It took them 4 months to realize that the systems are not connected to internet, and no data is obtained, I inquired several times about this and was just brush off 2. It is already 10 months, I asked for representative to explain how it works and why my electric bills are higher than ever, not happened. I requested cost analysis 3 months ago, still not heard back 3. Roof leak, reported 10 days ago, still not addressed, despite 10+ calls from me with attempts to schedule repair. We had their expert coming but ... could not do anything due to LACK OF TOOLS!!! I love my new house, and need to stay in relation to VIVINT SOLAR is the only wrinkle I have to deal with. If you ever have options DO NOT PICK THIS COMPANY, SAVE YOURSELF from a lot of headache! The only good think I can say about this company is the fact that when you call them you can speak to actual person quite quick, customer representatives are nice, pleasant and appear to try their best. The problem is that it is all so disorganized, lack of communication between departments, etc.

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 24, 2018

Gaja, we are sorry for any frustration or inconvenience we may have caused. Looking at your account it looks like we have a case manager that is working with you and we look forward to resolving any issues.

Lazanne Fajardo

January 20th, 2018 Porterville, CA DETAILS

Very disappointed in this company! Sales rep lied said there was no catch and that we would be saving money! Said we woukd only be paying SCE to use the meter... HECK NO! We got a huge bill ($1000) at the end of the year plus we pay Vivint monthly... how the heck is that saving money? My SCE bill was cheaper before these solar panels! Wish there was a way to take them off! Never received a written contact from her and when asked she would go around the subject! Will not recommended Vivnt to anyone!!

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 23, 2018

We are sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. We apologize and would like to look into your savings for you as well as any other questions. We would also like to get you access to your contract. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can find your account to further assist you.

Cheryl paradis

January 20th, 2018 Fitchburg, MA DETAILS

Awful customer service! Salesman lied to me sold me a huge system That would take care of all of our electrical needs plus some haha! But he did not tell me my electric company Has a net metering cap and will only buy my electric back at wholesale price so my bill should only go down about 50%!!!!! They don’t call you back I have called,text, Emailed and used social media to try to get answers and help! Wish I never did business with this company!

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 23, 2018

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We would like to look into your system size and any other questions or concerns you may have. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Cassandra Benitez

January 17th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA DETAILS

Sales representative is not explain the overall benefits of getting solars. You pay Vivint for the energy generated, regardless of what is consume.

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 19, 2018

Cassandra, we would love to talk to you about the contract and how it works. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

John Davis

January 16th, 2018 Henderson, NV

The salesman was great. Every time I call him he either is able to answer my question, or has someone call me with an explanation. My Solar panels were installed last November, 2017. They still have not been hooked up, so they are not in use. The salesman does not have an answer to this problem. He had a Supervisor call me and he was just full of bull (lots of talk, no answers). All I got from the Supervisor was that a lot of problems are caused by Nevada Power, and Vivint Solar has no way of getting them to complete the project. From the reviews of others it seems customers from Eastern states are much happier with Vivint Solar that are customers from Western states

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 18, 2018

John we appreciate your review. We are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company. We would like to look into the issue that you mentioned with the utility company. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can verify your account and further assist you.

Daniel Vara

January 13th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

Worst costumer service! Their panels left a 3 leaks in our roof, it took them 6 months to fix, it has now been a year and they have yet to put all the panels back on. We have a huge pg&e bill every month and Viviant refuses to compensate our pg&e bill until all panels are back on but they keep procrastinating on getting all the panels back on. Every department continues to transfer us back and forth and every supervisor is always busy. Worst experience ever!!

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 18, 2018

Daniel, we regret to hear about your experience with us. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can pull up your account to further assist you. We understand that this has been an inconvenience and would like to look into this.

Angela

January 11th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

Vivnat sold solar to my elderly parents said they would qualify for the rebates knowing they were on social security. They were also told they could sell their home and sell the solar to knew buyer. Well we just found out the solar is $90k they get no rebate obviously and now they have to sell the home and pay them $45k an attorney is now involved.

MATT Sert

January 10th, 2018 Beaumont, CA DETAILS

Very good company. Good sales personel. Very good technical.

Vivint Solar - Online Reviews Jan. 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Matt. We greatly appreciate your time and are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company.

Dori

January 6th, 2018 Salinas, CA

Reading reviews tells me NOT TO GO FORWARD WITH THIS COMPANY! THANK YOU . I have read enough to make an informed decision Customer service is key not a great sales pitch.

Jeannette Gosnell

January 3rd, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA

I bought a house that had Vivint Solar panels. During the escrow process, Vivint tried to get the owner's name changed to my name, thus making me responsible for the contract, Somehow, the escrow never completed this part of the process. A few months later, the previous owner of the house showed up at my door to let me know that he was still paying this bill. I called Vivint and asked them to send me a copy of the contract. There is no way I would be bound by this contract, so I refused to transfer it to my name. On Sept 22, 2017, I turned off the power to the panels. I learned two important things about Vivint: They do not have the technology to read their own meters, so the customer is billed for an amount that is pulled out of thin air. To this day, my"usage" continues to go up. Secondly, I have ample evidence that Vivint and Southern California Edison are working together in this deal. I called SCE to ask them about my bill and I was told that SCE only bills me for the power that I use after 7pm. When I questioned them twice about their "extra special way" of calculating this, the customer service rep pivoted and refused to answer the question. Vivint is now sending me twice-weekly e-mails pleading with me to contact them about my late payments. All they need to do is read my file.

Joe

January 3rd, 2018 Ventnor City, NJ DETAILS

Salesmen screwed my paperwork up 5-6 times! Left holes in my roof! Took 8 months to get on line ! Finally they had reimburse me for roof repairs, and we came to an agreement to help Pay down some of my loss! I really had to fight to get what I deserved!!

Linda

January 3rd, 2018 DETAILS

This company is fraudulent. We have had it for more than a year and haven't seen any savings at all. Basically I feel like we're paying them to have it on our house and there is no return. If there was a way I would have them remove it. Something needs to be done about their lies and deceit.

Jay T

December 24th, 2017 DETAILS

Worst experience ever. Cannot wait to get rid of Vivint. The sales guy lied. Said costs would drop by 40%. PG&E bill dropped, but Vivint bill is 50% higher than what I was paying without solar. At the end of the year I get a $465 bill from PG&E. Vivint is garbage.

Cheryl Ballard

December 21st, 2017 Windsor Mill, MD

Sales rep Evan R. is honest, open, courteous, communicates well and is a man of integrity. He provides excellent customer service and is always available to answer any of my questions. That technicians that came to install were also very courteous, knowledgeable, and efficient!

Willy mejia

December 21st, 2017 Montgomery Village, MD

Very professional company they know what there doing

Melinda

December 20th, 2017 Stratford, CT DETAILS

I I have had excellent experiences with Vivint solar over the last 4+ years. Their support team is frequently in touch to check in and provide info or offer assistance if needed. Vivint team members are professional, polite and knowledgeable. They know the product and are fully prepared to explain down to the smallest detail. Because other procedures need to be completed by the electrical company as well as the town before the system is up and running, I found the frequency of phone or text contact extremely helpful. As I own a house with an in law apt. This is the third installation of solar panels. My experiences to date have all been positive. I'm ecstatic that my electric bill is so low and I've even been rewarded with monetary incentives for recommending others who might want to save tremendously.

James Butler

December 19th, 2017 Pasadena, MD DETAILS

Great experience with initial customer rep, customer service via phone, updates to status and installation process. Only didn’t give 5 stars as the initial rep stopped communicating with me once I acquired service.

Sarah Landon

December 19th, 2017 Tilghman, MD

Well, we were told by a company last year that we weren’t able to put panels on our roof based on photo from google earth. When the salesman knocked on our door, we we so pleased to learn we might me eligible. He was terrific! Great to work with.

Veronica Lipkins

December 19th, 2017 DETAILS

Anthony M. my sales guy was very professional and thorough in explaining how Solar works and how it would benefit us. He also kelp we informed about the progress in the installation process. The installation guys where very professional. They arrived on schedule even thought we had a little snow the night before. They explained everything to me before getting to work and cleaned up when done.

Ruben Santiago

December 19th, 2017 Fairfield, CA DETAILS

You can read about my experience two weeks ago or so. Guess what I'm still waiting for an update from ana,Emily and Scott. To this day I have not recieved any updates regarding going live with my solar system. I'm about to reach out to the local news to have them do a report on them and the broken promises.....

Maria Almeida

December 18th, 2017 Swansea, MA

Great customer service. Step by step assistance. Answers always answered. Thanks for the roof rebate!!

Charoletta Ransom

December 18th, 2017 Pomona, CA DETAILS

The sales person said I would save on my bill which averaged $600 per month and that was decreased by a medical base therm to $400. Said my bill with them would average $200 and that I would owe Edison about $20 per month at the end of year for a total of about $240 per year. No up front cost anf service is free. Well its been two years and my bill from Vivint averages $250 no matter the usage and my annual bill from Edison is $3,600, plus their charges increase despite their promise that it does not!! Lastly, when my roof leaked in the back they failed to service or repair the damage they did to my roof!!! Don't buy into the no cost its a sham go with Sunrun or some other company and purchase your panels!!!

Carol Christmas

December 16th, 2017 Hamden, CT

Joshua J. is the best sales rep any company could have. He is thorough and explained everything in detail at every phase of the process. All the workers were polite and efficient. I will not hesitate to recommend Vivint to all my friends.

James Robinson

December 16th, 2017 White Plains, NY

Salesman is the best and the workers were top notch

Anny

December 14th, 2017 Methuen, MA DETAILS

I’m a real estate agent and been happy with Vivant solar since the day from the installation to the visits they do periodically and also happy with the money I’ve been saving all year. I would definitely recommend this company to my clients.

Hunter Scott

December 14th, 2017 Brigham City, UT

Sales person came to door. Did a brief review, I seemed to more know then they did about the Solar options. Came back two more times and sales person still wasn't sure about all our questions.

Madhu Yetukuri

December 14th, 2017 Orange, CT

Going Solar for our home was a seamless experience. The options were well presented and all questions where honestly answered which made our decision easy. The installation and the wiring work was meticulously done. I would highly recommend Vivint Solar. Thank you Josh and team.

Bonnie Chepovsky

December 13th, 2017 Norton, MA DETAILS

Great service, I had Andrew as a rep he explained everything clearly and answered all my questions. Installation was quick and awesome to watch. Can't wait to see the savings!

Robert Bergeron

December 13th, 2017 Absecon, NJ

I would have given 5 stars, but think that is premature.. On the basis of my experience so far, it is 5 stars. I've been very pleased with the contacts and how we've been treated. The installation job on my roof looks excellent and the craftsmen were pleasant and courteous.