Vivint Solar

Vivint Solar verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a company based in Lehi, Utah, that designs, installs, and maintains PV solar panel systems. Vivint Solar was one of the first solar companies to offer a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power they produce, limiting risk in the 20-year contract. A potential drawback of Vivint Solar is the delay in installation that customers have reported on our site.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.3 8.7 Read Review
#2 8.4 9.3 Read Review
#3 8.2 7.1 Read Review
#5 7.4 6.4 Current

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including cash purchase, loan, lease, PPA, and PACE financing. With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to find a solar financing solution that best fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it easier to take care of your solar panels if you decide to move. You will be given four options if you choose to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new owner, pre-paying the agreement, relocating your system at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is currently available in 19 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Vermont. This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to go solar with Vivint.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with PPA
  • Installation Delays
  • No Mobile App

Annual Price Increase with PPA

It should be noted that there is a pre-determined price increase with PPAs that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately. With Vivint, the price increase is set at 2.9 percent annually.

Installation Delays

While Vivint can install a solar system within a day, some customers have had issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running. Although this issue pertains more to the city than the solar company, customers have described Vivint customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality during this frustrating time. If responsive customer support is important to you, check out Solar Spectrumthe company that ranks very high in that category.

No Mobile App

At this time, Vivint Solar does not offer an app for Android, iOS, or Windows devices. However, Vivint Solar does provide a mobile-optimized site for customers to monitor their production and usage.

The Bottom Line

If you are living in one of the 19 states where Vivint Solar operates and are interested in going solar, you should consider doing business with Vivint. The company offers multiple financing options to help customers of all budgets make the switch to solar. Plus, customers who choose to go with a PPA will receive price protection. However, some consumer reviews left on our site have mentioned poor customer service from the company. We encourage you to check out the user reviews below to further help you in your investigation of whether or not Vivint Solar is right for you.

View Top Rated Companies

523 Vivint Solar Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 22nd, 2017 Salinas, CA

The system works as any other will, Their website is terrible it does not provide any useful information, if you want to know how much power your system created yesterday, good luck you will never know. If you want to call for service because something is wrong, guess you need to wait 4 weeks before a technician can show up to solve the problem. If you want an email reminder that you need to pay, good luck, the only reminder is when you are late, no chance for any simple things I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND Vivint Solar, do your homework, ask for prior installations in your area. If I can remove the system I would do it right now

September 21st, 2017 Surprise, AZ

I have spoke with the IT department numerous times from 6-2017 till present day and there is no resolution yet. If I had the chance I would not use them again.

1 0

September 20th, 2017

9/9/17 Very bad experience... End of June/early July I met with Joshua H, area representative... very knowledgeable, polite, kept me updated as we progressed through the project... 7/25/17: The construction team was great: on time, finished on time, polite, knowledgeable ... 7/24/17: Electrician didn't account for the correct amount of AMPs from the box once the solar was hooked up... 8/24/17: City Inspector didn't pass on the electrical work because of the AMP situation ... I've received several calls from Avint customer service, sometimes several a day (different area codes ‼️). One CS rep would state something completely different from the other CS rep - none of information they conveyed was correct or up to date - all assuring me they would get back after I told them what was, or should I say "what wasn't " On or about 8/31/17 I started calling & leaving messages for Duff, the area manager. He did attempt to get back to me, but I was not available; in the meantime I've attempted to call him about 3-4 times.. 9/9/17... STILL WAITING ‼️‼️

September 17th, 2017 San Jose, CA

Vivint put up 27 solar panels on my roof when I only need 9 panels! Vivint solar miscalculated my usage and designed a system that produce three times of the electricity than what I can use. Now each month I am paying at least $100 additionally on electricity. It has been like this for 18 months! I have called more than 20 times and emailed my bills continuously to them. No Response!!! The customer service will tell you they are working on it, but no action is done! I already overspent $2500 on electricity since I installed it in April 2016. Learn from my mistake! Do not use Vivint Solar! It's totally a rip-off. They only care about collecting money and doesn't care about customers at all!

3 0

September 15th, 2017 Sacramento, CA

the sales person was very professional, helpful and informative and answered all our questions the installation crew was professional, helpful and informative concerning all of my questions about the system

0 1

September 14th, 2017 New York, NY

Mr. R was excellent. He explained the Solar installation process and even helped with repairs to keep the install moving and repairs outside of the installation process. After the install, he contacted me to make sure everything went well and that the savings are reflected in the bill.

1 1

September 12th, 2017

After paying up-front for a system, I am still waiting to get an inspection to get it turned on. 6 weeks and counting. Customer service doesn't reply to email messages. Simply ignores me. Wish I had never entered into business with them. Clearly they are installing mor sustems than they are capable of managing.

7 0

September 9th, 2017

I currently am trying to work with Vivent but have found them to be less than responsive. We began our Odyssey in February and the installation and city approval went great. Unfortunately an issue arose in the paperwork Vivent supplied and Edison sent it back to Vivent for corrections. That was approx. 3 months ago. I have endless E-mails telling me the exact same thing for three months. Lots of E-mails not responded to when I asked questions, have had to call the company several times and still unable to turn on the Solar. I am sure now that summer is over and I have had 3 months of bills for $500-$600.00 each Vivent might think about fixing their error and I may see Solar before I die

7 0

September 2nd, 2017 Oxnard, CA

It is hard to get this system up and running. Setting up for billing and account verification always failed. Account cannnot be found in the system. And no contact with customer on why or how the account has not been set up yet. I think the customer service is not as good as they could be. And it took forever to get the solar system turned on.

9 0

September 1st, 2017

No sure what you are talking about, Vivint does not charge for the installation or the equipment, all you pay is the PPA for the amount of energy you produce. We did have some problems with the length of time for installation but since then they are saving me $200 to $300 per month as I had prior PG & E bills from 350 to 650 per month as we use a large amount of electricity. Several of my neighbors also got Vivint and they are also getting great savings. Now my PG&E bill is about $20 (also paying for 75 % of my gas). I highly reccomend Vivint!! Monte Beers

3 0

August 31st, 2017 Bakersfield, CA

We started our journey with solar in mid-May. The initial activities, to include installation, went relatively well. However, it is now the end of August and our solar is still not up and running. I would just like to get off of PG&E. Our bill for July was over $800. and for August is over $900.

5 0

August 30th, 2017 Perris, CA

Have never had any issues with Vivint. The salesman actually followed the installation with us making the process almost seemless. The issue was with Southern California Edison. Hope I never have to go back to them for my full electric power.

August 29th, 2017

This company is Horrible. The installation group, called one late evening in May asked if it was ok to start the install the following day. The installers arrived and totally butchered my house with no respect or thought of trying to hide anything. The electrical pipes are exposed which run up over the roof and through the overhang, nothing concealed, leaving huge holes in my roof and in the stucco overhangs. They have been telling me since May that they had a crew just to do repairs, this is BS, they never have showed up. I don't know at this point if they are done or not. I did get an email stating that Vivint is calling for the local principality to do the inspections. Who knows if this will get done in a timely manner. The reason I even considered installing solar was my electricity bill was so High, now we are through the summer months and still no solar power to offset my utility bill. This process all started back in November 2016. I have built housing tracts in less time.

9 0

August 28th, 2017 CA

Don't waste your time and money with this company. The customer service is complete GARBAGE. They will lease you solar panels and can't find the time to come do the maintenance as agreed on your contract. After several weeks on the phone they had nothing but excuses. Frustrating and very disappointing. "Best company" at playing phone tag and giving you the run around. Do yourself a huge favor, Pick another company for solar panels.

14 1

August 28th, 2017

The sales, installation, and customer service people, great. System ready to go in early April. We are still waiting for the corporate review to be finished, 4 months later!! One would have to wonder what is wrong with contract/installation that it would take this long to 'review ' !! Also, I'm still waiting for the paper copy of our contract too! I was told 3 weeks ago it was on its way.

11 0

August 23rd, 2017 FL

It just took quite a while between the installation and the system being activated.

5 1

August 23rd, 2017 Bakersfield, CA

My husband and I are very please with Vivint. We just had their security system installed and were very pleased with the thoroughness of the employees. They made sure all our questions were answered. We've had to call the help line a few times and were very satisfied with the customer service. Our solar rep Gary S has been excellent. He's been with us every step of the way for both the security system and solar. He continues to check on us and make sure all our questions are answered. I appreciate that level of customer service. I would most definitely recommend Gary and Vivint.

2 2

August 22nd, 2017

Product was delivered and installed in just over three and a half hours . Installation crew was very professional and left my property just as they found it!

4 0

August 22nd, 2017

The up front agreement and installation was great, even the inspection was within reasonable timeframes. However, the administrative review takes way too long to finally throw the switch to get solar. Very disappointing why it takes so long.

6 0

August 22nd, 2017 Santa Barbara, CA

Furman, my cust rep was great. Company service in all areas was great.

1 1