Vivint Solar

verified

6.7

Vivint Solar

verified
Vivint Solar has been performing residential solar installations throughout the US for over 6 years

Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach. Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract. However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing. As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof. Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate. With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move. Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years). Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in 21 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Vermont. This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately. With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running. Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options. However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.2

Aaron Guerra
June 20th, 2018 Visalia, CA DETAILS

I can’t give negative starts! So A sales rep came to my house, they explained how California was having a hard time keeping up with energy demand and that they can install solar panels in my home 100% free of charge, and I would never have to pay thing. Basically help California produce more energy to keep up with the demand . The rep told me I would never have to pay a thing, but that they needed my account, and routing number information just to have it on file . Explain to me that I would receive a regular bill, and still pay for the energy that I would be using on a discounted rate so I would be paying a little less on energy while helping California produce more energy still only paying the energy that I would be using now Out of no where I get charged over $160 and the company is telling me that I have to pay for all of the energy that is being produced . Why did anyone ever explain this to me! I get charged more money that I can afford to pay; my energy bill was never that high to begin with . The way they explained it to me is basically we’re going to borrow your roof put solar panels on it, and it wil produce more energy for California, and you pay your energy bill at a discounted rate . I feel like I’m part of a scam because now they’re just taking my money that I’m having a hard enough time making, while just barely taking care of all of my financial responsibilities, and all the medical problems , and illnesses that my daughter has. I cannot afford this. I’ve made several attempts to contact management department and explain how everything transpired in this situation that I find myself in . Every single phone call that I’ve had so far has basically just reminded me that I’m on a 20 your contract, and there is literally nothing that they’re doing for me they won’t transfer me to a supervisor they will not transfer me to any management, VIviant Solar is pushing me around , and not giving me any direct answers. Im very disappointed in these business practices. People are being lied to, and taken advantage of. Every month I call, and try to speak to someone. All they do is intimate the customer and remain them about the 20 year Contract that they lied about. I never received nor did I have the opportunity to review a copy of this contract until the day I called to complained. They said they would email me one. This is absolutely ridiculous. I told them the rep had written down some stuff while explaining all this, they told me to send them that information, I did via email. Now they won’t even get in Contact with me, but still send me notifications of how my bill is due again! I’m contacting BBB! For all people out there, don’t allow yourself to get scammed.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 20, 2018

Aaron, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We have created a case for you and will have a specialist reach out to you before the end of the week. The specialist will work with you and discuss your account while working to remedy the situation in a timely manner.

Marina E Georgiev
June 18th, 2018 Sun City, AZ

I purchased the property on May 10th with the already solar panels however the system wasn't connected to APS until June 4th however Vivint wants to charge from the beginning. They should prorated the bill as I wasn't able to used it the system. So far I didn't received a print statement from them, they gave me the amount over the phone and I insisting on a writing statement. Today I am sending a complaint to the Attorneys General as reading all the complaints, they should stop them to do any more business in Arizona.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 08, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Marina. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into this situation you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Bernie Julio
June 18th, 2018 San Diego, CA

From Sales rep. Doug, Roof Inspector Chris and Installer Abraham so far have been very professional and informative. Definitely will recommend Vivint Solar to my neighbors, friends and family

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 20, 2018

Hi Bernie, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Doug, Chris, and Abraham took great care of you!

Jon Santos
June 18th, 2018 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

First off back in 2014 two VIVANT sales guys came door to door asking if my parents would like to get solar for their house. My parents told them they weren’t interested the two sales guys sweet talked my parents into putting solar on the roof and they wouldn’t have to pay anything. They told my parents that 1st. Their electric bill would be u dear $200 a month. 2nd. The solar panels would be on the roof for 5 to 7 months, at which time my parents could upgrade to new panels for another 5 years, buy the system out right or have the panels removed. 3rd. VIVANT would be the owners of the panels and would come periodically to maintain the solar panels. 4th. My parents would get a $1000 dollar rebate and then ha e to pay a contractor $200 to put up braces in the attic for the solar panels. Oh yeah, the contractor charged my parents $600. 5th. VIVANT would look at putting solar panels on the back house which my parents rent. After telling my parents all this the two guys looked at my parents electric bill and came up with a plan on how many panels would be placed on the roof. The two VIVANT guys got my parent okay and shook hands on what was told VIVANT would be doing. My parents waited a few months and no one from VIVANT followed up, so they called. It was found the two sales guys were no longer working at VIVANT. Then out of no where another VIVANT sales guy came and apologized saying he was now going to take over my parents account then again made the same promises to my parents. Finally the electric company gave the okay and the solar was put on the roof. For the first 2 months the electric bills from VIVANT were under $200 and then it slowly began to go up to over $200 and at one point it went to over $400. When we called the local office in Honolulu Hawaii the call went to the main office in Utah. That’s when my parents found out that VIVANT had pulled out of Hawaii because the local electric company would no longer buy power back from VIVANT. VIVANT at no time told or sent anything to my parents to inform them about the pull out of Hawaii. So there are no sales people in Hawaii to talk to about solar problems and all calls need to be made to the Utah office. And the $400 bill was because the power had gone out because of a storm in Hawaii. When the computer went back online VIVANT said they noticed my parents were not paying the right amount and so they retro payment back to when the electricity went out. Again no call or email about this problem and my parents were had to pay the $400 bill. After the large $400 bill, my parents checked with local solar companies and actually had a tech from another company come out to see if VIVANT was doing everything promised. The tech came and found that VIVANT had placed 30 solar panels on the roof. He said for the size of place 20 solar panels would be enough. He then told my parents that he has heard VIVANT sales guys place more panels then needed. Now to 2017, in Hawaii we had a bad storm which damaged out roof. The insurance company along with a roofing company came to inspect the roof and the roofing company asked if VIVANT could come an remove the panels so they could do the job. Because VIVANT doesn’t deal with contractors I had to make calls for my parents. I could found out that VIVANT would charge $500 for the removal and replacement of the panels. A date was chosen with VIVANTs schedulers and the roofing company was set on coming the next day. On the promise day the VIVANT techs didn’t show up at the arranged time. So I placed a call to the VIVANT scheduler, who told me told me that my parents place was not on the schedule and that there are only one group of guys to do the work for the entire island. I then had to hang up and cancel the roofers then recall VIVANT to schedule another day. Once the solar panels came off the roof I wanted to see how much difference the solar bill would be if my parents went through the local electric company. I found that there was a $50 to $70 dollar change and that my parent would pay less if they were to go with the local electric company. So my parents didn’t want to have the solar panels from VIVANT to be replaced on the roof. I then called VIVANT to inform them that my parents don’t want to have the solar panels put back on. The customer service person from VIVANT informed me that my parents would ha e to buy out the solar panels and that they had signed a 20 year contract with VIVANT. I explained to the customer service person that at no time did anyone tell my parents that this contract was for 20 years. Plus promises were made and shook upon. I believe looking back now that my parents were taken in by two and then a third sales guys, who were just out to make a quick sale so VIVANT could make money off of my parents. Also because VIVANT has no office in Hawaii why should they be doing business with them. There is no sales people or enough tech support to fix any problems that should come up if the panels are replaced on the roof. I would never ever again want to do business with VIVANT solar. I also heard from the roofing company that did my parents roof that other jobs they have that involved VIVANT, they have had problems with VIVANT removing the panels so they can do the roof work. I feel VIVANT sent three good sweet talking guys into the neighborhood and sweet talked and conned my parents into doing something they didn’t want to do in the first place. All we want is for VIVANT to come and remove the rest of the stuff that is on the roof and op out of this crazy contract.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 20, 2018

Hi Jon, we apologize for the trouble. We are looking into this and doing our best to resolve your situation. Thank you for your patience.

Paul Yu
June 15th, 2018 Livingston, NJ DETAILS

The Solar System was installed in 10/2017, but still have not turned on. Constant issues with its paperwork, engineering department, interconnect department. I am notified that it will be an indefinite wait. I payed over $20K + up front in 6/2017. It has been a year and I got nothing. I contract a 6.44 kw system, but they only installed 5.33 kw. Then I caught the mistake, they added more panels. However, the blueprint / engineering design / permits were all messed up due to its own mistakes. I am in the unnecessary holding pattern now. Called Customer service and relationship department. They offer me $200 to compensate the lost. I must be a joke or something! Ready for class action against Vivint if they keep the same pattern of irresponsible behaviors.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 15, 2018

Hi Paul, we are so sorry to hear that you have had this frustrating experience. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Celeste Thompson
June 14th, 2018 Rio Rancho, NM

My experience with Vivint Solar was very positive. The company representative I worked with was Gerro P. He made certain that I understood each aspect of the process by clearly explaining what to expect and clarifying the ways solar will be a benefit to me as a homeowner along with how it will benefit the environment. He kept me well informed and always got back to me promptly when I did have a question.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 15, 2018

Hi Celeste, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Gerro took great care of you!

George
June 14th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS

At the beginning the staff was very friendly especially the sales rep Willy (G.) and seemed like they went out of their way to answer any questions. The deal was wrapped up fairly quickly and before I knew it my alarm/ cameras were being installed. I was overpromised by Willy that this would be a quick install and 8 hours later the job was finally finished. I didn't really mind how long it took for the install as I know unforeseen things come up during installs. A few months later my solar panels were installed, a few months after that NV Energy conducted a final inspection and failed the install. Nobody from Vivint could be reached to get this sorted out and Once I would get in touch with someone I kept getting passed along and nobody would take responsibility. Finally a tech came out and made the necessary adjustments and the inspection passed. 2 months later I'm being double charged for my power. NV energy and Vivint are both billing me around the same amount. Again I can't reach anyone. Willy passed me off to someone else and neither of them are answering calls or texts. I called the 800 number that was given to me and I was told that my system is not registering any production yet I am still being doubly charged for power. NV energy confirmed that I have been using power from the grid and that I have not consumed any solar power. The cameras they installed work about half the time and when I try to speak to them about the camera problems I'm told that they don't deal with the cameras that's a 3rd party that's in charge of the camera system. The interesting part about this is that Vivint claimed they kept everything in house. Stay away from these no good crooks.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 15, 2018

Hi George, We're sorry to hear that you had this experience. Please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account. Thank you

Efren Estebat
June 13th, 2018 San Diego, CA

We are well informed prior installation of the equipment. Sean and the crew are all very knowledgable and you can ask them anything about it.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 14, 2018

Hi Efren, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the sales and installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Ernest Desmarais
June 12th, 2018 Bellingham, MA

My system has been in place for two months and it isn't turned on. My electric company sent me an email because they put my system turn on on hold. The system inspection performed by Vivint and the town electrical inspector said that the system was good to go. But the report was never sent to the electric company so that they could change my meter. I checked with the town inspector and he told me that Vivint is suppose to mail in the inspection report. I checked in with the electric company and they never got the inspection report. I called Vivint technical support several times. It's like talking to the wall. They don't care. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that I was talking to a supervisor. He wasn't interested in helping me out. He figured that he had done enough and after two months I am still without my solar power. when I told the supervisor that I was losing money by not running the system, he told me that the system didn't cost me money so how could I be losing money. I wouldn't go with Vivint if I had to do it again. They just don't care. I'd find someone else to put in panels.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 12, 2018

Hi Ernest, We're so sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to help look further into your account. Could you please send your address to [email protected] so that we can provide you with a better experience. Look forward to hearing from you, thank you.

Becky Dickey
June 8th, 2018 Waldorf, MD DETAILS

Great experience working with Vivint to put solar panels on two homes. Our salesperson Andrew was very knowledgeable and helpful every step of the way. Installation went great for both and now we’re approved and activated. So glad we decided to get solar panels and glad we chose Vivint to do it!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 12, 2018

We love hearing from our customers, thank you for leaving your feedback, Becky! We are so happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar.

Jessica Harrison
June 8th, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA DETAILS

Great company. Great personnel. Zack is so helpful! We recently needed an upgrade to our system because we were using more power and he patiently and friendly walked us through all our questions. We have loved our Vivint Solar experience for the past 4 yours and would highly recommend them for all your solar needs.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 12, 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback Jessica! We’re happy to hear that Zack did a great job an took great care of you. Thank you for you doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Shiny Palilodath
June 5th, 2018 Lodi, NJ DETAILS

I am not at all satisfied with this agency. They didn't install enough panels, because of that I am not getting any saving in my energybill. Actually l am paying extra which is terrible. I contacted them several times and they are not responding to my issues , they are redirecting my calls to different departments. Be careful with their sales reps, they will tell you no cost of you and ask you to write $1 check and from there they collect money directly from your bank. So be careful dealing with them

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 06, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Shiny. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Dani Patterson
June 4th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

I have been waiting since March for solar service. They have a consistent problem with paperwork and communication within. This company is way to slow in profiding decent customer service. If I could go back I would not choose this company for my solar needs. The reason they got two stars is that the contact people have been polite.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 06, 2018

Hi Dani, We know that the solar process can be a lengthy one and we apologize that proper expectations weren’t set. If you email your address to [email protected], we can see if there is anything we can do to expedite this for you. Thank you!

Juan Orozco
June 5th, 2018 Wharton, NJ DETAILS

My electric bill is basically the same ...how i really know if a saving even a penny?

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 05, 2018

Hi Juan, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issue you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Lamar
May 25th, 2018 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS

I am very disappointed in the after-sales care and performance of my 11.2kW system. Very slow from signing to operating. We signed paperwork mid-June 2017, the install was Aug 25th and we did authorization to operate until Dec 1. Looking at bills now I am not convinced that they system will save any money at all and to top it off I have a pigeon infestation that is going to cost $800-$1000 to clean up and fix. My neighbor just had solar installed with another company, exact same floor plan as ours and animal guards were included on his system. Even if we save $50-$75 per month we won't see any savings for another 18 months or so. If I had it all to do again I would not do solar or at least I would have shopped around more and avoided Vivint Solar for sure.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 30, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way, Lamar. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at [email protected] with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Linna Wang
May 23rd, 2018 Escondido, CA

On May 16, 2018, a Vivint sales person, Scott, tried to trick me. He gave me a tablet and said "Please sign here to verify that I came and talked with you." The signature instruction actually said "by signing here it allows us to check your credit." I refused to sign, and told him sternly "I do NOT give you permission to run my credit." Guess what, that very day, I got an identity protection alert that Vivint solar checked my credit! when I called Vivint to complain, the guy on the phone said it is their common practice to check potential customer's credit with or without permission. So the deceptive practice is normal for Vivint solar.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 24, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way, Linna. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at [email protected] with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Moe Demers
May 18th, 2018 Dracut, MA DETAILS

We have had Vivint solar for several years now. I have had nothing but headaches from their customer service in Utah. After complaining for several times sending in 6 months worth of my electric bill for proof never getting an answer from anybody I decided to call them and tell them I was going to take the panels off and throw them down to my yard. Two days later two technicians showed up they checked out my system and I had 5 panels not working! This was going on for about 5 or 6 months. No one has returned any calls to me to give me any type of credit for this. I complained 3 times that something was wrong. So far I have had no use for Vivint solar.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 19, 2018

Hi Moe, we are sorry to hear that you have had system performance concerns. We would like to help resolve these concerns. Can you please email us at [email protected] with your address? We will look into this and do our best to help resolve this problem soon. Thank you for your patience.

Richard Basham
May 16th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS

A representative for Vivint came to our door a year ago. Very misleading sales pitch. He said we woul be charged .16 cents per kilowatt hour which sounded great. What he didn’t tell us is that’s based off what the panels produce NOT what we use! We are saving absolutely nothing! Statements only show production not what we have used. He also pressured us when signing the contract. Said it’s just what I told you, just initial and sign here. He seemed so nice that we were too trusting. I have been so upset over this that I feel sick. Customer service has just given me the run around. I want an itemized bill! I can’t belive we are tied into a 20 year contract with these crooks. If I don’t get answers soon I guess I will have to resort to talking with an attorney. Please beware and look at all options because this one is awful!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 17, 2018

Hi Richard, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Vivint Solar cannot bill on usage like a utility company, as we cannot guarantee how much energy the solar panels will produce. We do not warrant or guarantee savings, however when designing the system your current usage was taken in account to design a system that will help fit your needs. In the summer months your solar bill may be higher as you produce more energy, and if that energy is not used it will often be stored up and be applied as credits to use in the winter months with your utility. If you have additional questions and or concerns about your billing or production please send an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you for your feedback.

George/Susan Jessmer
May 16th, 2018 Ludlow, MA DETAILS

I have had Vinvint solar for several years I have had no problems with the panels, my problem is that I refered possible new customers to them one has had the service for a year My review page or whatever it,s called has the name of one of these people on there 3 times my supposedly representative put them on . So far I have spoken to several supposedly customer representatives that said no problem I will get back to you. Well all I can say for the company is don,t expect to get any check and any return calls even though the names are on your so called site or whatever on the computer.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 17, 2018

Hi George and Susan, We are glad to hear you are enjoying the panels! Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look further into your referrals? Thank you for for the review.

Manny and Joan Motta
May 14th, 2018 Somerset, MA DETAILS

We have been experiencing all kinds of problems with Vivint. We were told in November of 2017 that they were coming to check our panels. When asked if there was a problem we were told that 10 panels were down! When asked how long they were not working we were told since June of 2017 we are now in November of 2017 and no one knew that our panels were not working yet we are connected to the computer in home system that transmits directly to Vivint fir the energy produced and used. We called them several times for the high electric bills we were paying and it went on deaf ears. Yet we were told they were all working correctly and producing. Many of our friends were receiving very low electric bills and no bills from our NE service National Grid while we were being billed by National Grid and Vivint for bills well over $200.00. I would. Call and tell them something is definitely wrong but no one much cared. In November 2017 they set up a date to come in December but due to a dusting of snow which was gone the next day they were unable to check the panels. So they booked us for January, snow again. They came in March to check but said they did not have the correct tools with them and rebooked again after I had an argument that We were tired of the run around and no one truly were helping solve this problem! Yet we were still paying high electric bills. This time we were told that 15 panels were out. I had several conversations to the Vivint Co. in Utah. Finally they were sending two technicians to the house to fix now 18 panels that were down! They were to be here between 11am and 2pm. On April 7, 2018. My husband and I waited all day and no one came! At 3:45 pm I called Utah and spoke to a young man who said he would check to see why they didn’t come. I was told that they turned in a slip that the panels were fixed. He said they went to your house around 8am and left at 11:30am. I told this person that this was not true! For we were here and no one came to our home. Finally They gave me a contact in the Ma. Area . I spoke to the Mgr for district 1&2 in Ma. Told him the situation he said he would call me back in 1/2 an hour which he did. He set up a crew of 3 men to fix my panels. They called me at 7:15am to say they would be there in an hour. They arrived around 8:15am and did not leave our roof until 3:45pm. We were also told that the system would need 24-48 hours to be up and running but they were not sure how well they would be transmitting because the Envoy unit was not in the right place in our home that who ever installed it put it too far away from the unit that calculates the collection of energy verses the correct usage. So they booked an Electrician for May 15th to install a cable on the other side of the house and change the placement of the Envoy box so hopefully it will read correctly. I also had National Grid send them hard copies twice for our electric usage from January 2017 to April 2018 for we expect Compensation for the money due us for over billing us even with 18 panels down. It will be a year June 1st 2018 and the problem has not been resolved. I was told twice in the last 14 days that they did not receive the hard copies from National Grid yet a young lady in the Comp. dept. said she had received the information but they could not look at compensation until after the 15 th when the system is up and running. I received my hard copy three weeks ago and National Grid said they sent Vivint the day information. With all this going on and Vivint knowing g the problem us with their Company they had the audacity to bill me $188.00 for April Electric bill! I had the bank stop automatic bill payment to Vivint and reported this to A Mgr. at Vivint in Utah who agreed and was to speak to billing to eliminate this bill! My home is a medium size ranch with 48 panels! I should have very small bill from Vivint and no bill from National Grid as do my neighbors! Many have credit from Vivint and National Grid That has NEVER been our experience. We wish we had never installed solar panels, for we see no savings as was the big pitch before we accepted the panels. Plus paid $9,000, for a new roof to place the panels knowing our roof was still good for another 7-8 years we were told when Vivint came to first measure our roof for installment of the solar panels. The other problem is you can never talk to a Rep. from the Co. they are not available to speak to. You either get the first contact on the phone and they connect you to office people who really cannot fix this problem! VERY FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST! What I have stated is our true experience with Vivint Solar Co.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 17, 2018

Hi Manny and Joan, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look further into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Paul sullivan
May 11th, 2018 Malden, MA DETAILS

I can’t swear but fun horrible I’m using his name miles told me my system was done only a week like I’m an idiot then denied it to my wife 4 inverters out had to wait till spring for a fix and said they don’t compensate for utililiy payments made which really sucks all in all worst decision and my wife’s nephew works for them and asked about snow guards before someone or my dog gets killed and he said we never mentioned it another lie just sucks all the way around

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 17, 2018

Hi Paul, We are sorry to hear that you feel that way. Vivint Solar does not require customers to have snow guards, although we do have the option available to purchase them if you choose. If you could send us a private message with your address we would be happy to look further into your account to see what we can do to help. Thank you for the review.

Carrie Peterson
May 3rd, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

They lie get Everything in writing they say They told my son if he moved and people didn’t want to assume loan they would move for 400.00 lied sin lost over 10,000.00 because of them Told us they pay for referrals gave them 5 and no payment ever came. They told us they would guarantee us no power bills if we bought the amount of solar panels they told us to and they monitor problems LIED!!! WE had a bill for over 500 dollars and since at least a hundred dollar bill per month plus their payment They said they missed seeing the problem They make up crap saying it is something we did like turned off the breaker Why would we??? Then by some miracle the next week they call and say they need to change the inverter They said they will reimburse you at the end of the year for the power we paid LIE!!!! Biggest 40,000.00 mistake ever

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 11, 2018

Hi Carrie, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Tom Robertson
April 24th, 2018 Audubon, NJ DETAILS

Had solar installed 2years ago, first year was good, then the inverter developed a leak and failed, took them 4 months to finally replace the part, then something else failed and have been waiting for them to fix this problem. So, for the last year hasn’t functioned. Considering having them remove the system, and have them replace my roof and repair the siding behind the inverter.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 11, 2018

Hi Tom, we are sorry to hear that you have had system performance concerns. We would like to help resolve these concerns. Can you please email us at [email protected] with your address?

John
April 19th, 2018 Mira Loma, CA DETAILS

I don’t know what a few of these people are talking about but I guess it’s like anything else. However we love our system! Perhaps Vivint has solar locked down in Southern California better or something. Our system is producing very well and mos we requested 105% of our power. That way we could use the air more freely. We got a edison bill the end of the year as expected for only $80. I guess it was for the connection fees as the sales representative clearly explained. Our system also looks nicer then our neighbors - very sleek! I’m well aware of the tier rate increases in January and the time of use rate increase in the future. Really glad we made the no brainer switch. There’s so much sun here it makes no sense not to have solar and Vivint delivered on everything that was promised from the door to door sales manager. He said the only thing that could possibly go wrong is edison takin a bit to turn it on but the easy solution is I turned it on after 3 weeks as suggested no bi deal. Thanks Vivint super happy with everything and they exceeded expectations. I might even get you security smart home next ??

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 11, 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Mira! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

RICHARD L HORTON
April 18th, 2018 Lincoln, CA DETAILS

Don't even consider. There is nothing good in getting involved with this company. It's all bad. I only operated the solar for 2 months at no savings. I put my house up for sale and it won't sell with this contract. I can't transfer it because I was thinking of AZ and they say no to that. These things the salesman don't tell you. They hooked me good.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 11, 2018

Hi Richard, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

MArtha Ramirez
May 3rd, 2018 Sacramento, CA

These Vivint people think we consumers are stupid and never notice when they come at you with a pitch they practiced the night before. I never listen to pitchers I always prefer people who have some respect for me and are open to a honest conversations. Vivint just will never do.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 11, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Martha. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Stacey Dittrich
April 16th, 2018 Aptos, CA DETAILS

We have had Vivint about 2 years. When we signed up for them we asked repeatedly how much it would cost to take the panels off if we need to redo the roof. We were told each time $500. We mistakenly didn't read the fine print. Our roof started leaking - not from the solar- after one year so we made hired a roofer and call vivint to to remove the pannels We got a bill for $4500 We were floored.. We called the customer service at least 5 times and were told we would get a call back but no one ever called. We finally realized we would have to pay the money... So we paid it. Then we couldn't get them scheduled to remove the panels.. More phone calls without return calls. Finally had some one out. They only took the panels off and they left all the electrical hardware and brackets!!! They told us they were not going to remove them and to have the roofer do it. I was steamed!.. We made more phone calls finally got them out to remove the electrical and they only removed about 2/3 of the brackets because they had another appointment to go to. Our roofer finally agreed to help us. Now we have to put the panels back on.. Wish we could just get out of the contract. Has cost us way more than we will ever save!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMay 08, 2018

Hi Stacey, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We see that you were able to get your panel reinstall scheduled for this month. Please reach out to us at [email protected] if you have additional questions and or concerns.

Andrea
April 13th, 2018 Oceanside, CA

Salesman came to my door and stated he was from our electric company and wanted to save us money. I saw his Vivent id tag and called him out on it. I told him I wasn't interested. He was very pushy and asked me for a copy of my electric bill and wanted to enter my house. I asked him to leave. What's the matter, telemarketing does not work anymore??? Now they go door to door???

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 13, 2018

Andrea, we are sorry for this interaction you had with our sales rep. We don't condone deceitful sales practices. If you happened to gather any of his information we would like to obtain that from you, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at [email protected] with more information on your interaction. Thank you for your feedback.

Michael Shank
April 11th, 2018 Valencia, CA DETAILS

I signed up for Vivint Solar in February 2017, with the promise that I would be billed at Edison Tier one levels. Unbeknownst to me Tier billing was scheduled to end July 2017. Vivint moved slowly through the installation process, completing the project at the end of August 2017. I am now being billed at Time of Day billing which is much more expensive then Tier One billing. I'm not saving any money,

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 13, 2018

Hi Michael, can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

Scott C Goldstein
April 10th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

Save your money and find another company. This company lies and does not save you any money. My electric bill went up and they did not install the number of panels they said they would. They then came back and tried to show me how good there panels worked via a tablet app-funny thing was the system was shut off. then they offered me money back as well as to install a new power panel and more solar panels for a higher monthly fee. They still charge me a monthly fee for nothing since the system has been shut off for over 2.5 years. DISHONEST COMPANY...........DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 13, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Scott. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

David Johnson
April 9th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

Salesman came to our door uninvited. They came by 3 times. The last time I told them I was not interested 6 times. But they just kept on telling me how much I would save on my power bill. They told me 50% savings however there cost per kilowatt hour was 11 cents and I pay 14 cents per kilowatt hour now. So I guess they took me for a fool. I told them I was getting upset with there high pressure sales and they staid another hour. I was so relieved when they finally left my home.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 13, 2018

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced with our Sales team.

Lorraine Ramirez
May 23rd, 2018 Sanger, CA DETAILS

tired of big corporations taking advantage of people. in 2014/ 2015 vivant installed solar panels on my roof. I was at work and got a call that they could only install 7 panels instead of what was needed but was promised that the panels would be sufficient. I signed the work order stating 7 panels were placed. 2,000 NEM bill, Customer Service rep and Sup kept telling me : don't worry and don't pay the NEM as it will go down at the end of the cycle". well it did not and guess what I did not have 2,000 to pay so my electricity was shut off. had to pay 1,000 to turn it back on and make payments. this crappy company never helped out and or returned calls including the sales rep Chad Vogl ( hope the perks of the getting a sale was worth it ). only when the I filed a complaint with PG and E and filed a complaint with the BBB did any real communication start but it was more of you signed the contract and you are not living up to it as you are not paying the monthly fee on estimated cost. Estimated cost for panels that are not working and not no NEM being charged by PG & E. they stated that the panels were sufficient based on the sun and how my home sits. the house across the street faces the same direction as mine and guess what he has triple the panels. This company is a joke. looking for a good attorney right now.

David
April 2nd, 2018 Castro Valley, CA

Great experience from start to finish. Outside reps answered all my Questions and detailed analysis of cost and solar production from my panels was quick and painless. At first they could not get accurate reading from google maps to get a good estimate, so they sent an installer out to measure roof and pitch and surrounding tree areas and checked out my current electric panel to get the best reading for the amount of panels my house would need. This was even before I decided to go with Vivint. Other companies I talked with would not do anything like this until I signed on the dotted line. After I decided to go with them, Inside sales crew were on top of things keeping me posted on what was going on behind the scenes with my project. I received the permit to install with in a week of sighing contract. The install took a day (on a rainy day) 2 weeks after approval from county permits. And the reason it took 2 weeks out is because I wanted them to install on a Friday. If I wanted them to install sooner they could have gotten it done sooner if I did not pick a Friday install. After install, the home office crew called me several times to keep me up to date on progress. The following Monday, the county inspector came out and approved the install. I received the info from the home office they are submitted the paperwork for PG&E to convert to Solar and that could take up to 4 weeks or more. To my suprise I received an email from PG&E a week later giving me the ok to turn on my solar panels. So from when I sign to turning on the switch to activate my Panels -4 weeks Thank You-Great Experience with Vivint Solar

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 04, 2018

David, we are happy to hear that we could make this a quick experience for you! Thank you for your review.

Kenneth Bloem
April 2nd, 2018 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS

I've had Vivint Solar for 2 years now and just received a "True Up" bill from Southern California Edison (SCE) for $692 and was blown away. I immediately called Vivint and requested an explanation. After numerous promises that I would be called back that never happened I requested a supervisor to help me. She made several promises to return my phones calls but was inconsistent as well. She asked that I send her 2 years of SCE statements (which I immediately did) and they would review it for compensation purposes. Come to find out that a large portion of my solar panels had not been working for almost 1 year however I continue to pay Vivint each month at about the same normal rate. They would only offer me a $120 credit towards the issue. The service department came by this morning and stated, "This is a much larger problem then we realized" and that they'd have to reschedule. It's very obvious at this point that Vivint does not care about me or my situation. They only care about about getting rid of me as a problem. Unbelievable!

Mahesh Nagamalla
March 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS

I'd like to give Vivint Solar "Negative 100 star rating" for their worst customer service and bad business practice. I have been fighting them through BBB to fix all my issues. I suggest please stay away from this company.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 13, 2018

Hi Mahesh, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Ed Raphael
March 23rd, 2018 Helendale, CA DETAILS

We have had Vivint Solar for several tears on the PPA plan and we decided to buy our 22 panels so there would not be a problem when we sold the house. They quoted me a price of $36,000 to buy it now, but said it would only $20,000 if we sold the house. I would have paid the $20,000 now but not the $36000.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 04, 2018

Ed, We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we may locate your account to assist you.

Medina-Fontanilla
March 22nd, 2018 Newark, CA

In late November of 2017 we started to consider going Solar. December 5th, we entered into an agreement. On January 2, 2018 we got our solar panels installed. Upon the installation we were told there would be a waiting period for the multiple inspections and approval (3-4 months). During the process we received customer service updates via phone and email. Plus, the online account allowed us to check our progress throughout the entire process. Today, March 21, 2018 we received permission to operate and went solar. 11 weeks and 1 day or 2 months, 19 days excluding the end date. The process was easy, and everyone was very pleasant to work with. Thank you, Juan Arraya, the Vivint Install and Customer Service team.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsApr 03, 2018

Medina, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We greatly appreciate your time and are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company.

Bobby
March 20th, 2018 Poway, CA DETAILS

The best thing I did with Vivent solar was to buy out the system and get them out of the equation for my home. I would highly recommend to buy a solar system and NOT lease one even if the lease company is perfect. The lease company puts a lean on your house. At the end of the 20 year lease you own nothing and they still have you hand cuffed with the lean. Worse even, most people do not want to assume this bad lease when you go to sell hour house.

Janet Curry
March 19th, 2018 Lincoln, CA

This company has serious issues with follow through! I have been waiting since the panels were installed on my roof in September, 2017. As of mid March, 2018, the system has not been turned on. This company is run by children. All they can do is point the finger at someone else. It is either the City Inspector or PG &E that is causing the delay. COME ON, MAN, and take ownership of your failures to deliver! At least then I would respect you. I cannot recommend this company to anyone at this time. They need to grow up and act like adults. I had such high hopes as the initial sales person was most excellent in his communication skills but his company let him (and me) down.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMar 19, 2018

Janet, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we may locate your account to further assist you with your concerns.

Denise Heffernan
March 16th, 2018 Springfield, MA

Vivint Solar is the very best. From the representative that gave us all the ins and outs of the solar panel industry was very knowledgable from the start until the end of the installment. We didn't have a single problem with anything. I would highly recommend Vivint Solar to anyone looking for quality workmanship to help save our economic electricity cost. Think Green Go Green with Vivint Solar Panels

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsMar 17, 2018

Denise, thank you for leaving a review with us. We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with us with no problems. We look forward to getting your system up and running.