Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
4.1
#2 Sunrun chevron_right
3.5
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.1

CN
July 16th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

AVOID VIVANT SOLAR!!!!!!!! This company is absolutely HORRIBLE and I have advised EVERYONE that I know to run!!! My whole experience has been completely beyond aggravating and I am sorry I ever started the process. From inspectors showing up without notification, no notification that the system was being installed, the system being put on standby for weeks with no one noticing until I drove to the local office, nothing but lip service and passing of the buck for the "customer service department" to absolutely no one having the ability to tell me why my app is not working nor how to fix it and being put on hold for an hour and a half. JUST DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2019

Hi, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further for you. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

MQcapecod
July 12th, 2019 Hyannis, MA DETAILS

Thiago stopped by a few months ago and discussed the solar options for us. He has been absolutely great to work with. He has been attentive and always responds and updates us! We tried to get solar before but didn’t qualify because of a few trees around our house. Thiago helped take care of trees and got us approved. The install went great, the guys did a good job. The process took longer but now that the system is up and running we are thrilled to be saving on our electric bills.

Jul 12, 2019

Hi, we love hearing that you've had a great experience with Thiago and that you are seeing the benefits of going solar. Thank you for your review.

Richard Wagner
July 11th, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS

I have had solar from Vivint for about 18 months. The first year was fine. and I have no complaints about the system. This year the whole thing fell apart from the billing point of view. I stated getting crazy bills in April which billed for solar production at three times what was possible. I went back though my bills and discovered that the bills for this year were totally unrelated to my solar production. I called customer service and the rep told me she understood and would fix it. Nothing happened. I called again a week later, and the rep told me that the bill was high because of daylight savings time which increased the amount of energy received from the sun. I kept getting messages from the Company to pay my bill but any attempt to respond the the messages resulted in dead ends. I finally wrote the the company president about the problem and have received no reply. Another bill came today and said that I owed them $234.00. At the current rate of under 17.5 cents per KWH, I should have produced over 1337 KWHs. The website says that I produced 444 KWH Which means that they charged me is 3 times the contracted rate. I have yet to have a person contact me with an explanation.

Jul 13, 2019

Hi Richard, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations with billing. We want to look into this for you. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

Andrea
July 11th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

Only been with Vivint for 3 months and completely disappointed. Would of been better to stay with PG&E. Was told how much money I would save and I am paying more to them then I did last year to PG&E. Save yourself some time and frustration and go somewhere else.

Jul 12, 2019

Hi Andrea, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this for you. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address. Thank you.

Wendi
July 10th, 2019 Covina, CA

Vivent is a great company! We had a great experience! Kyle is awesome and helped us through the whole process and answered every question!! We would totally recommend this company to anyone considering solar!! Everything was a lot easier than we ever thought possible!!

Jul 10, 2019

Hi Wendi, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that Kyle was professional and helpful. We appreciate your recommendation. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Dale
July 9th, 2019 Ojai, CA DETAILS

SELLING YOU STUFF is their ONLY GOAL. go someplace else. I have 40 panels from these CROOKS who PROMISED ME that a battery backup is COMING REAL SOON. well, it's here BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE BECAUSE we only put it on NEW SYSTEMS. SO, when there is a power failure or earthquake, I have FORTY PANELS THAT ARE USELESS. Oh, and NO ONE BUT Vivint can touch the system BY CONTRACT so I can't even have an outside company come and fix their STUPIDITY.

Jul 09, 2019

Hi Dale, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We would like to look into this further for you. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

virginia lyons
July 8th, 2019 Springfield, MA DETAILS

Panel installed September 2019, ten months ago. No explanation for the delay. No one answers the phone when you call, no one calls you back. I definitely recommend solar but not this terrible company. Find a reputable company. I wish I had

Jul 08, 2019

Hello Virginia, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Tamara
July 3rd, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

If I could give them 0 stars, I would! Our panels were installed in January and it is now July and the system is still not active. I am paying on a loan for a system I cannot use. When I complained to and asked for a reimbursement for the payments, I was told there was nothing Vivint can do. When I asked for a manager, I was told that was not possible. I have the names of the people I spoke with and will be filing a complaint with bbb. Also may consider class action. Oh did I mention that we were told it would take 6 weeks after the panels were installed for the system to become active!

Jul 03, 2019

Hi Tamara, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations but we would love to look further into your concerns. Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thank you.

Kit Sensenbaugh
June 27th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Our electric bill with SDG&E was about $400 now we buy our electricity from Vivint and our bill has never been over $175. We have had no problems and never had to pay a single penny to have it installed. Now we sold our home and transferred the account with the new buyers, with no problems!

Jun 27, 2019

Hello Kit. We love hearing that you were seeing the benefits of solar and that the transition in selling the home was an easy one. Thank you for your review.

jun
June 25th, 2019 Chula Vista, CA

Salesman is very tricky! He used "veteran" word to attract, and come to doors and say he's not selling anything, I entertained him as he's a fellow veteran, and down the road, laid his program and as he laid his program, he was asking personal info like birth date, phone numbers and any info that you put when you apply for a loan. Take note he asked this questions in between discussions so its not very obvious that he was filling out the application for you and then he will ask you to sign and give your last four of SSN. Very tricky and unprofessional. Take note! he said he's not selling anything, but how come he filled out application for you. Luckily, I already picked up where he heading to so I ride long...beware for the tricky salesman out there!!!!

Jun 25, 2019

Hello, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Feel free to email us at [email protected] with your address as well as the information for the sales representative. Thank you.

Tammy Harper
June 21st, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Good product, saves us money, prompt customer service.

Jun 12, 2019

Hi Tammy, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to [email protected] so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Dani D DelRosario
June 18th, 2019 Orland, CA DETAILS

Several years ago (in my 70s) these unscrupulous people began their reign of terror on me. They put solar panels on my roof damaging it to the point where they had to remove them and after many months during the rainy season finally got around to fixing the roof. By then my walls were full of mold, the floors had to be replaced, roof on top and inside removed and replaced with considerable confusion and missed repair dates, etc. It was horrible and we had to move out with much of the furniture. On and on it went. I never received benefit of solar only destruction. Even though after all of the fighting, delays and falsehood were over and the panels were long gone back to their yards they sent maintenance men out to my home where I had no solar. Here we are years down the road and they've threatened me with legal action wanting well over $30,000 for the rest of my contract and periodically try to get monthly payments for my solar service as well. I'm 75 yrs old on Social Security and they are not entitled to any of it. Attorneys seem uninterested in my petty little problem. These vultures just persist. Any idea what I do now? I've looked for class action suits to join to no avail. I will be contacting the State Attorney General's Office Complaint Dept soon. As soon as I get the energy. Their contract indicated they had $300,000 liability coverage. Any ideas out there to help?

Jun 18, 2019

Hi Dani, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to [email protected] so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

David
June 18th, 2019 Antioch, CA

I was contacted by a Vivant Solar repesentive, Brian S, and I was un sure about solar but he convinced me about solar. He explained solar to me and explained what Vivant can do, and I was happily surprised after it was installed and am enjoying the savings that solar will give you. I am happy that Brian S knocked on my door for the 3rd time and finally convinced me to go solar ..Thank you Vivant and thank you Brian S

Jun 18, 2019

Hi David, thank you for leaving us a review. We are pleased to hear that Brian was professional and that you have had a great experience with us. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar.

Anthony Lombardi
June 18th, 2019 California City, CA DETAILS

Same Story...ripped off with the contract that you see "after the panels are installed" saying it's a 20 year contract when I specifically told them "NO CONTRACT", and was assured that was the case. Second, I just got a bill from both Edison and Vivant for over $150 from each for the month of June...My system is completely down, the breaker does nothing to turn it on, and of course VIVANT did nothing to Contact Us to let us know there was a problem?? WTF? Of course once I contact SCE who has 24 hour service, they tell me they have received no power for over a month?? Again WTF VIVANT? They have No Customer Service on Saturday?? System is Dead and no one to contact?? WTF again ViVANT…

Jun 18, 2019

Hi Anthony, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to [email protected] so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Deb Flemming
June 12th, 2019 South Weymouth, MA DETAILS

I don’t know where to begin, except that every state that allows Vivint Solar to do business in their state should be ashamed of themselves. Vivint misrepresents itself and it’s service on so many levels, there isn’t enough room in this box to list them all. Maura H, the Massachusetts Attorney General, should be at the top of the list. I worked with the AG’s office and Vivint for more than two years without getting any answers. How many reviews on this page alone have received “I’m sorry” from Vivint and nothing more. These reviews more than speak for themselves.

Jun 12, 2019

Hi Deb, we are so sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to [email protected] so that we can look further into these frustrations. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Chuck
June 7th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

Customer support, there is none. Unable to make contact with a live person. Placed on hold to listen to the poor quality music. Twenty minutes later still listening to same poor quality music

Jun 07, 2019

Hi Chuck, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations and we would love to look further into them. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address. Thank you.

P Jones
June 5th, 2019 Rocklin, CA

We could not be happier with Duff D and Vivint Solar. Everyone we have dealt with has been very friendly, professional and easy to work with. We had no idea how simple it was to “go solar!”

Jun 06, 2019

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear Duff took great care of you and that our team has been professional. Thank you for going solar with us!

Brenda Joanne Reyes Ortiz
June 5th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

Vivint Solar sales representative mislead, deceived, and lied over and over again about every important aspect of what the customer would receive, pay, and experience. Vivint knows exactly what it is doing. Hearing people's stories from different areas proves to me that they have a script, stick to it, and take people for their money. I’m disgusted that the state of California state attorney general allows this company to continue to lie and scam people the way it does without investigating and putting a stop to it. It’s a life-altering, detrimental physical and emotional experience that the customer is left to deal with on his or her own, without knowing who to turn to for help. Absolutely stay away from VIVINT and solar!!!! All digital correspondence= Vivint Lies so much and ‘knows’ people that don’t much use computers, or only have a smart phone will not read through 50 pages or so of anything. And they say it’s all ‘legalese’, nothing to worry about. LIARS! Free= $40,000 noose around your neck! Savings= paying more for your energy than you were! David M, the sales rep to 4 people on our street , lied to everyone!!! I’m sure Vivint gave him a raise. We are also close to needing a new roof, and david said ‘No problem, we do it all the time. We will take care of everything, no charge’ LIARS! I am wishing New Mexico State Attorney General, Hector B, ALL the force of the world in his lawsuit against Vivint. Vivint deserves -1,000 stars

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Brenda. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further, please send us an email to [email protected] with your service address.

Jared mackoul
June 3rd, 2019 Island Park, NY DETAILS

Their absolute liars and scam artists they tell you that you are helping out the grid and Wall have less than half of your Electric bill. This is an absolute lie they screw you into a 20 year contract and you pay for every kilowatt the solar panels produce not for what you use. I need out of my contract right away as they totally

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Jared, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further for you. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address. Thank you.

Walter Garbie
May 31st, 2019 Toms River, NJ DETAILS

I seem to have the same problem as Patricia R. Was told no charge if panels have to be removed to put new roof on. Had the panels up by Jan 2017. Now I have leaks and need the panels removed and was told it would cost me $2440. One issue is one area of the panels is causing the leak but a Rep from Vivint came and said not the panels its the condition of the Roof. So why after only 2 years is my roof in poor condition. The panels should have not been installed and was certified by them to be in good shape at the time, which obviously is not the case. I have been on the phone with customer service, damage resolutions, my original salesman multiple times and everyone except the salesman is just telling me there is nothing they can do. And I have been bounced around between those two department without anyone helping other to say "sorry but that's all I can do", which basically is nothing. I asked to be transferred over to his supervisor and he said he can't do that. Wow, now that is unheard of. On top of that we had two vivint inspectors come here and one says its the panels and the other says its the roof. So they stick with the one that says not the panels. The leaks are getting worse and ruining my ceiling and floors which will be an additional cost to repair. This is the worst customer service dept I have ever incountered. I refuse to pay $2440 when in fact the panels were installed based on their advice.

Patricia Ritter
May 29th, 2019 Fallston, MD DETAILS

When I agreed to have Vivant Solar panels put on my roof in 2017 I informed the salesman that my roof was 20 years old and would need to be replaced. He told me that was not a problem when I was ready to replace my roof the panels would be removed and replaced free of charge. This spring 2019 I contracted to have my new roof put on. I then called Vivant solar and was told it would be a $4500.00 charge to have the solar panels removed and replaced. When I told the Vivant representative that I was going to contact my lawyer I was contacted the next day and told that they would remove and replace the panels for 450.00 I agreed. I was then told that they would not be able to schedule the removal and replacement to be done until the 3rd week in May their installation and removal team had quit . I then contacted them beginning of 4th week on May 21. I was on hold for 45 minutes cut off left on hold again for another 30 mins. Without being connected to the installation/removal dept. when I asked the Vivant Representative for a direct number he put me on hold again and then gave me the general Number that I had been calling. I have never received such poor customer service from a company and would not recommend Vivant Solar to any one.

May 29, 2019

Hi Patricia, we are so sorry to hear about your experience. It looks like you have been working with one of our representatives regarding your panel reinstall. We have your reinstallation scheduled for a week after your re-roof is completed. The representative will continue to work with you until the reinstallation is completed. We apologize that the representative does not have a direct line, but if you have additional concerns feel free to email us at [email protected]

Bernard
May 24th, 2019 Pleasantville, NJ DETAILS

Solar panels installed in April 2018, took 5 months to connect. Vivint rep. came by last week to check system and told me only 1 panel working out of 38. Been trying to reach Vivint for about a week , no luck just long waits on the phone. Customer service is horrible when you need them. Maybe this will get your attention. Cannot afford to pay for services not rendered by Vivint

May 28, 2019

Hello Bernard, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your service address. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

John H
May 22nd, 2019 Plymouth, MA DETAILS

Terrible customer service. First signed in July 2018. Panels went up quickly, probably to get their government payoffs. Still waiting for the system to work. Had Vivint on my other house, was very happy. Do not know what happened to the company. Trued calling customer service line, put on hold forever.

May 22, 2019

Hi John. We apologize for the issues you may be experiencing with getting your system turned on. We'd be happy to follow up with the team to see what's going on if you can send us your account number or address to [email protected] Thanks.

James
May 20th, 2019 Springfield, MA DETAILS

We have had the Vivint Solar Company install the solar panels on our roof. They are coming to fix the roof from the leaking caused by the solar panels. Putting up critter guards and raising up the panels to prevent any other damage.

May 09, 2019

Hi James, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

rick stone
May 9th, 2019 West Yarmouth, MA DETAILS

Worst company ever. They sold a bogus bill of goods to an 88 year old man, who passed away shortly after. We are selling the home, and have tried for a month to contact Vivant to cancel (as is our right), or even to find out about transferring service. Emails, unanswered phone calls, countless hours on hold and we are absolutely no further than when we started. We are now contacting the Attorney General. I am in real estate, so will make it a point to spread the word about Vivant. Never had problems with Solar City or any other companies for that matter.

May 09, 2019

Hi Rick. We're sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to have someone contact you to and help explain everything regarding transferring contracts and other options available. Please send us an email to [email protected] and we can have someone contact you to help address your concerns and answer any questions you have. Thank you!

Debra Wilcox
May 8th, 2019 DETAILS

Horrible company! Installed panels on a leaky roof. Said the roof was good for another couple of years, even though I pointed out yellow marks in the ceiling. The day the solar panels were put on, an installer went in the attic, and there was a big hole in the attic roof! Was charged in excess of $3k to have them removed for a new roof. Salesman said $1k. He, of course, denied this. Panels did not work properly. Was months before it was fixed. New configuration. Now I have an electric bill. Never did hefore, During re-installation a tile in a patio table got broke. The installer said he reported it. A tile close to the broken one cannot be found. So now Got have to buy a new table. Hold time is ridiculous, often exceeding an hour. Representatives use the proper, I'm sorry, etc. but appeared apologies do not pay the bills, nor ease my total frustration. The reps are clueless. I finally had a couple of conversations with an escalation rep, who just closed the ticket without resolving any issues, in fact, I did not even have the opportunity to discuss most if the issues with him. He just wanted this put it all back on us, accepting no responsibility for the company's errors. There are too many to list here. Next stop Better Business Bureau, since Vivint is useless!

May 09, 2019

Hi Debra. I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I show that you spoke with a specialist yesterday and that he is working with you to get your issues resolved. Please continue to reach out to him and we will do everything we can to help you out. Thank you!

Stephanie
May 6th, 2019 Henderson, NV

Customer service is horrible !!!!! I just installed my panels and I am already dealing with horrible customer service!!! I want these off and do not want to continue my business with this company!!!

May 08, 2019

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Stephanie. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Maria Thomas
April 29th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

I went solar with vivint in 2016 and love it. I would do it again. PGE charges too much for power and vivint’s Program makes it easy to go solar and save money. Both Vivint and our rep Forrest have been great to work with.

Apr 29, 2019

Hi Maria, we love hearing that Forrest took good care of you. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

STEVE BINION
April 29th, 2019 Long Beach, CA DETAILS

WORST CO .TO DEAL WITH. ALL REPS AT THIS CO. LIE TO YOU AND GIVE YOU FALSE INFO.THEY GET PAID BY WHAT THE PANELS PRODUCE REGARDLESS IF YOU USE IT OR NOT. BE CAREFUL AND READ CONTRACT. THEY ARE NOT AN HONEST CO.

Apr 29, 2019

Hello Steve, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us an email to [email protected] so we can look further into this. Thank you.

carl thomas mueller
April 25th, 2019 Webster, MA

1 year since roof panels installed still not connected , with no communication regarding system operation and contract ! carl mueller

Apr 29, 2019

Hi Carl. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations and want to look further into this for you. Please send us an email to [email protected] with more information. Thank you.

Joyce Tucker
April 25th, 2019 Andover, MA DETAILS

Just put solar on the house electric bill was costing too much money, now cut in half. Used Vivint Solar part of program that would give us a new roof if needed no cost to us! Process was very fast, we met Enos H in March and we are already installed! We had a historical home which had to be approved by our town board and he handled everything for us. Our home qualified to get a system at no cost at a rate much lower than we pay National Grid! If you are looking to take advantage of the free program, or even ownership programs in MA, Enos H is the guy to reach out to. We couldn’t be happier with him and Vivint Solar!

Apr 29, 2019

Hi Joyce, we love hearing that Enos took good care of you and that you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for your review.

Kevin Roberts
April 15th, 2019 Brentwood, NY DETAILS

We contacted them no door to door salesman.Vivint did the planing,permits and inspections.All without problems of delays.I would gladly recomend them! We also had no issues with anyone involved with our contract and received a bonus when the system went operational.The best part,our electric bills were cut in half,and with some of the highest rates in the country this was indeed a extremely big deal.This was excellent choice for us.

Apr 15, 2019

Hello Kevin. We are happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with us and that you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

Matt Baker
April 9th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

If I could give them less than a 1 I would. My panels were installed on June 19th of 2018. As of today (April 8th 2019) I still do not have permission to operate my panels. Vivint tells me they are waiting on PG&E, but after 3 hours on the phone and numerous transfers through PG&E one of the supervisors tells me they still have not received the pictures from when Vivint installed the panels. Even worse, they don’t do anything to try to resolve the problem.

Apr 15, 2019

Hello Matt. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us an email at [email protected] with your address and we would love to look into this further for you. Thank you.

Timd529
April 9th, 2019 Langhorne, PA DETAILS

The correct solar data isn't matching up to my utility bill. I understand that billing cycles are different, but when the utility reports 12 KwH and Vivint gloats about 310 KwH during the same time frame, somethings a miss. Looking over my bill I am charged $0.1323551/kWh. My utility charges me $0.13347/kWh (Generation, Distribution, and Transmission). Saving me a whopping $0.001115/KwH. That's $0.35 savings, if the 310KwH was properly reported. It's not worth it. It's a headache paying two bills every month. Since the correct solar data is not being reported i'm spending more than i would if i was strictly on the grid. I regret putting these things on my roof. Also, the sales rep was shady. He promised $500 in incentives, then the system wasn't big enough and i qualified for only $100. Haven't seen a cent in incentives.

Apr 15, 2019

Hello Tim. We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding your concerns. Please send us an email at [email protected] with your address so we can look into this further for you. Thank you.

Janet Correa
April 5th, 2019 Tehama, CA DETAILS

We had Vivint Solar install solar panels thinking solar power would be cheaper than paying PG&E here in California. Now we get a power bill from both Vivint AND PG&E and we pay much more than we did before the panels were installed. Also, the solar power system doesn't work without WiFi so that is an additional expense we didn't have before the panels. They also wired our power panel wrong so breakers switch off for no reason throughout the day and night leaving us in the dark. So far they have not fixed this ongoing problem. This is nothing but environmental extortion.

Apr 05, 2019

Hi Janet. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further for you. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

James La Monda
April 5th, 2019 Leicester, MA DETAILS

We got Vivint about five years ago and it's been great. Our bills are down from past bills. We're paying less then $90 with both National grid and Vivint all year long. The summertime we go to the minus side with National grid. I'm very happy with the salesman, the installers and the electricians who completed the work. I would have no problem recommending them to friends and family.

Apr 08, 2019

Hi James. We love hearing that you had a positive experience with the sales representative and our installation team. It is great to hear you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar.

Rick Pescatore
April 2nd, 2019 Toms River, NJ DETAILS

I was told a 7-Kw would be enough to get rid of my electric bill and that the loan would be 25k. After researching I found this price was acceptable. The paperwork they showed me said 35k, I brought this up and the representative assured me it would be 25k on the loan due to 10k that they were going to apply. The loan paper said 25k choice target balance, I was satisfied and the install went really well. After doing my taxes my accountant pointed out that the balance is actually 35k and the choice target balance is just a number you get when you pay 10k within the first year or else it goes up!!! 35k for a 7Kw system?! Really? They are crooks, there is no way I am using them for my next home.

Apr 04, 2019

Hello Rick. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look into this further for you. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address. Thank you.

mark haskins
March 27th, 2019 Rensselaer, NY DETAILS

We have had Vivint for over 2 years.....no pressure sale and 1 dollar up front. At the time there was the federal tax credit. Our electric bill has been less than half of what it was and at times we have had a negative balance with the power company. We referred three neighbors here in upstate NY and not one person has been dissatisfied. I normally do not leave revues on websites but we are happy with the choice especially after meeting with competitors who were thieves.

Mar 29, 2019

Hi Mark. We are happy to hear that you have had a positive experience with us and you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for your review.

Talmadge Michie Smith
March 26th, 2019 Upper Marlboro, MD DETAILS

I made a mistake getting Vivint Solar!!! Your customer service is horrendous. I discovered that my solar system was not working at all when I received a bill from my power co. When I first got Vivint Solar I received a call or alert if something was wrong with my system but apparently that doesn’t happen any more. (Apparently my system stopped working in December). When I discovered there was an issue (early February) I contacted you only to be told that I would have to wait almost 1 month for someone to fix my system ( March 5, 2019) then. I received my most recent power bill from my power company for over $300.00! How can you remain in business if the very thing that you are getting paid for from me is the electricity that is generated from my system? How can you tell how much electricity the solar panels are generating to bill me but not contact me if they are not working?? I would think that would be an issue for any business. I think those who own this company have gotten out of touch with their company horrible customer service. Maybe you should go on Secret Boss or Undercover Boss Again. This time focus on Solar. Based on My experience your company’s Customer Service is the Worst!!!! Apple Great, DirecTV Great, VW Great, even Microsoft and my local DMV has better customer service than your company (and that’s saying something). If there is any consolation I think you are just above the VA! The last time my system worked according to your website was March 5th, 2019 it generated 14.2961 kWh, that was when the system was serviced. What is the problem? Why isn’t it working properly? I have very little hope that this email will be returned in a timely fashion (It never has been before). I think that it will be a week at least before I get a response. But I dare you to prove me wrong. I’m guessing that no one will get to service me before 20th of April or early May...but prove me wrong, I dare you. I have had an exposed plastic tube from the roof (I’m guessing it contains wires) since FallOf 2018. I sent an email regarding this with pictures and it hasn’t be fixed yet. Prove Me Wrong... Talmadge Michie Smith

Mar 29, 2019

Hi Talmadge. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Looks like you have been working with our specialist Mike. Mike will continue to work with you to address your concerns. Thank you for your review.

Darryl Kelly
March 26th, 2019 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

I really dont know where to try to begin. If I could have you all come RIP these Solar panels off my home and not be stuck with this 25k bill I most certainly would. There have been scheduling issues and communication issues not once not twice but several times. Even though the app and phone system says you're open on a Saturday you're really not. so getting any type of help is like everything else worthless. So now that we have established the lack of communication let's move on to the safety issues. After these panel were install in January and me complaining about an issue coming from my fuse box, that was causing the lights in my home to flicker was due to them damaging my main breaker switch causing it to arcI really dont know where to try to begin. If I could have you all come RIP these Solar panels off my home and not be stuck with this 25k bill I most certainly would. There have been scheduling issues and communication issues not once not twice but several times. Even though the app and phone system says you're open on a Saturday you're really not. so getting any type of help is like everything else worthless. So now that we have established the lack of communication let's move on to the safety issues. After these panel were install in January and me complaining about an issue coming from my fuse box, that was causing the lights in my home to flicker was due to them damaging my main breaker switch causing electrical arcing. So thanks for putting the safety of my family at risk. Not to mention this issue took over a month to fix really? I can even bring myself to remotely reccomend this service to anyone for fear that their experience would be worst than mine.

Mar 29, 2019

Hi Darryl. We are sorry to hear about your experience and want to look further into this for you. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

Jack
March 26th, 2019 Crofton, MD DETAILS

I signed the usual lease agreement in 2015. price--10.5 KWH. Local traditional company was at 12.5. Local company is now down to 8 and going lower--I still pay10.5 plus small inflation increase. Vivint says too bad--no lease change .

Mar 29, 2019

Hello Jack. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us an email with your address and we can look into this further for you. Thank you.

Kevin Moriarty
March 20th, 2019 Woburn, MA DETAILS

Worst customer service department I've ever had to deal with. Makes the cable companies look great. Ordered animal guards for my system because of squirrels. I paid for them in Oct 2017 and they were installed in November. After installation I was told they could not complete the job and someone would contact me by the end of the week to complete the job. Never got a call. I called Vivint over a half a dozen times in the next few months to get the situation resolved. Was hung up on twice being "transferred". Was told by two different reps that I would get my money back which never happened. Shut my system down in April 2018 so they would no longer make money on my system. Finally got a email in September that they wanted to come out and check the system. I told them not to bother unless they were going to finish the animal guards. Finally got a call from a local manager who tried to help me, but once the main office got involved it got worse. After inspecting my system the wiring was damaged by the squirrels as well as a section of the roof. Was told they would come out to remove the panels fix them and the roof and have the system reinstalled. After getting emails about when they could reinstall I informed them no one had come to fix the roof yet and was sent on another customer service nightmare call. After an hour on the phone I was told Vivint was not responsible for fixing the roof despite being told they would do so. Then i was left on hold for ove r15 minutes before I finally hung up. Have requested the number for my local rep, but have not received that yet either. I would never recommend Vivint to anyone. I'm also aware of other who have had nightmare experiences with their customer service. Do not get Viovint whatever you do.

Mar 20, 2019

Hello Kevin, we are sorry to hear about the situation that you have experienced. We have assigned a specialist to your account. They will be reaching out to you to address these concerns. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

LAURA S ALMQUIST
March 20th, 2019 Thousand Oaks, CA

This has been one of the easiest things I have ever done. Josh explained everything from the beginning to end. He comes by the house to check up on the installation and to let us know where we are in the process! Jake was in charge of the install and he was great!

Mar 20, 2019

Hello Laura, we are happy to hear that Josh explained the process to you and that he checked in on you during this process. Thank you for leaving us a review!

Janice
March 8th, 2019 Ramona, CA DETAILS

BUYER BEWARE: Vivint Solar damaged my roof tiles during installation and is refusing to take responsibility for repair.

Mar 18, 2019

Hello Janice. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We would like to look into this further. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

Dennis Campbell
March 5th, 2019 El Cajon, CA

Fast efficient very pleasant people even in the rain I did a great job

Mar 06, 2019

Hello Dennis. We love hearing you had a positive experience with the operations team. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Gerald Juniel
March 5th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV

Charlie and Sean were very helpful and knowledgeable.

Mar 06, 2019

Hi Gerald. We love hearing that Charlie and Sean took good care of you. Thank you for going solar with us!

Robert Kupcha
March 1st, 2019 Mays Landing, NJ DETAILS

I was told that a $250 referral fee was to be paid to for referring someone to install Vivinet solar. They had it installed in Dec. 2018. I called asked where was my re feral fee was and was told it would be mailed to mailed soon. Here it is March 2019 and still no check. I called 4 times and still could not get an answer to this. I finally received a phone and they asked me if I received my check and if I didnt to call a number. I called and they said they would get back to me. Never called me back. It says on their recording that it is easy and simple to get your referral moneney. It is a bunch of crap

Mar 01, 2019

Hello Robert. We are sorry to hear about the experience you've had with receiving your referral check. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and note it is regarding a referral check and we can follow up on this for you. Thank you for your review.

Laura K Rea
February 26th, 2019 Westminster, CA DETAILS

When my energy consultant came to our door, I was busy preparing a celebration dinner. At my husbands insistence, I came to hear what he had to say and ended up inviting him into my kitchen while I cooked. My husband and I had created a non-profit that helped businesses integrate sustainable practices into their business and I knew a lot about solar. However we were so impressed with our consultant's knowledge, lack of sales pressure and honesty that we decided to go solar with Vivint. Now, 1 year and 1/2 later I can say our system has done exactly what it was created to do. produce all our electrical needs, protect us from our power company's rate hikes and cut our over head while building equity in our home with 1 regular, unchanging payment for our system. We have had heavy rains with wind the last 2 months and we have had no leaks. We have had a great experience with Vivint with regard to all aspects of the company: ongoing support from our energy consultant, purchase price under the cost of our utility bill, system power production of electricity promised and no electrical problems or roof problems.

Feb 28, 2019

Hello Laura. We love hearing that your sales representative provided you with a great experience and that you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for your feedback.

Linda L Pilant
February 22nd, 2019 Concord, CA DETAILS

The salesman was very good! Promised everything! Told them before installation that the prime location for the panels had a previously installed pre-water heater solar tank. They assured me that my panels would be installed there and the old solar system would be taken down. They ended up putting my panels on a shady part of my roof! The first year, my true-up in addition to monthly charges and my PGE bill was more than I was paying before installation! I complained and they promised to come out and investigate. Many months passed, another bad true-up bill and finally, new panels were installed ....after I paid $1,000 to remove my old solar system and repair the roof to allow for the new panels to be installed, it has been 7 months!!! They are not activated yet and I call regularly and get responses like "we understand why you are frustrated and will look into the problem and get back to you". No one ever calls, emails or writes to me!! My true up bill will continue to grow as this company does nothing to activate my system. I am very frustrated and am getting close to just asking them to please just send someone out to remove this and let me find a solar company that will help me save money and save energy. I am not a happy customer and feel let down by empty promises. So sad to have wasted my time with this company that does not follow through with contract agreements.....

Feb 22, 2019

Hi Linda. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have created a case to have one of our specialists reach out to you regarding your concerns. Thank you for the feedback.

Mary L. Ragis
February 14th, 2019 Oxnard, CA DETAILS

Vivint does not stand behind their work and their customer service is horrible. Last year, our roof began to leak under the panels they put in. We called and they came out, saw the leak was their fault, did some cheap fix and left. Sometime during the installation and repair they broke a number of our roof tiles but told us nothing. This year more rain and the leak returned. This time when we called they blamed the damage on birds! This was without ever looking. The leak was in the same place...it is the same leak! After calling again, they said to send a roofer's estimate. We did, they send us an email thanking us and promising to contact us quickly...they never did. I posted our frustration on their Facebook page where we received an invitation to contact them. We did and received a phone message and email asking for the estimate and our number. Both were provided, however, whenever my husband called him the line would disconnect. The only emails he answered were ones where we said we would contact other review sites and tell them the truth. We did learn that our claim was being denied (again Damage Resolutions NEVER told us this). We were asked to send pictures of the damage. We did. No reply. We have another roofer who has said the damage is too extensive to be due to birds or natural causes. It is due to Vivint's workers. We will be sending his information also. Well it do any good? Based on past performances...no. If only we had known how weak they are. The lease is for twenty years! Buyer beware! We will be contacting every review place we can to get the word out. We are thinking of looking into taking legal action. Read other reviews! See how many people have had a terrible experience! Going solar can be great...just not with Vivint.

Feb 15, 2019

Hello Mary. We are sorry to hear about your experience. It looks like our specialist Jason has been working with you to resolve your concerns. Jason will continue to work with you, feel free to direct question or concerns to him directly. Thank you for your review.