Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
4.1
#2 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

Thomas
October 15th, 2019 Poway, CA DETAILS

I have a system that was part of the home I just bought. My last call to Vivint began with my asking "How do I get this crap off my roof?" My last month's electric bill was $1148. When I called they told me I had been misbilled, if I hadn't caught it, they would have just kept my money and charged me again the next month. I spent almost 30 minutes trying to get things resolved, nothing. The only thing they came back with is that I was late on another ~$450 payment. My next call will be today and if I don't get a satisfying resolution, the next call I make goes to my attorney and I'll just pay him instead. I'm unbelievably pissed off about this! Another item that should have tipped me off: their service people show up almost 2 months after I move in to tell me that the system is offline and that the need to have unfettered access to my home network -- Never going to happen. Do people actually fall for that? Stay far away from these folks.

Oct 16, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Thomas. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Victor Durham
October 11th, 2019 Oroville, CA DETAILS

Really hard to get in touch with, always say they are putting in new phone lines unless of course you try calling for sales! Don't really want to be a customer, came with the home I purchased, can't seem to get out of the contract and is costing me more money NO SAVINGS!

Oct 14, 2019

We are sorry to hear your frustrations and want to ensure you have a positive experience with us. Please feel free to send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review. Thank you.

Sean
October 11th, 2019 Lancaster, CA

I am in the process of initiating PPA service. The install is in the permitting process. So, I have time to back out. However, I don't want to back out. Also, These reviews do not provide me with the high confidence I need for a project of this nature. I read the contract and it seems to penalize the customer for issues that are out of the customer's control. It also does not seem to penalize Vivint properly and accordingly for issues that arise that are in Vivint's control. This needs to be corrected. Penalizing me for non-production of power when I have nothing to do with the install or operation of the system I find troubling. Repair the thing, in a timely fashion and don't charge me for a malfunction that is squarely under your control. I also wonder if Vivint has made the necessary corrections to improve customer satisfaction. All Vivint's employees need to read all of these reviews and take them to heart. Beef up and properly train your customer service department. One last thing: what if this was your house that Vivint was providing service for. How would you want Vivint to treat you? Thank you

Oct 14, 2019

We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please feel free to send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review and anything we can assist you with. Thank you.

ChoMA
October 11th, 2019 Silver Spring, MD DETAILS

I am paying about $700 electrical bill monthly ever since agreeing for Vivint Solar to put Solar panels on my roof in October 2018. Right when panels where installed, they billed me when they had not even been turned on, and when I called Vivint, they said they were not going to refund my money but simply going to adjust my bill for the subsequent month, and they never did so. My last bills were $689.99 = $253.18 (Vivint Solar) + $436.81 (MBG&E) for Sept-2019, and $740.07 = $298.98 (Vivint Solar) + $441.09 (MBG&E) for Aug-2019. I called MBG&E and they said Solar produced zero energy. I called Vivint Solar, and they said they are not getting signal from my home and so did an estimate. A Vivint technician came last month when I called them that there was signals on they equipment, and put the system on, I am not sure what he did. They again sent a technician yesterday and he came and found out that their equipment had tripped off and was not working as expected. How do I get Vivint to refund my money and charges of bounced checks and inconveniences they have caused my family by withdrawing such huge amounts of money from my account for months? Because they have been so dishonest and not kept to their contract, I will even prefer they take their panels off my roof ASAP.

Oct 14, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review so we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Danny DeVito
October 8th, 2019 Selden, NY DETAILS

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT sign a contract with Vivint Solar I pay the same if not more between these thieves and my electric company‼️‼️‼️Customer service does absolutely NOTHING, all they do is LIE‼️‼️‼️ Please advise anyone you know to stay as far away from Vivint as possible‼️‼️

Oct 08, 2019

Hello Danny, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. If you have any questions or concerns you would like to speak about further please send us an email to [email protected] with your address and this review. Thank you.

Amy Boren
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT

They gave a quote that was so crazy expensive. Then we found out our homeowners association doesn't allow solar panels.

Oct 08, 2019

Hi Amy, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns that we can help resolve for you. Thank you!

Richard Dunn
October 2nd, 2019 Bensalem, PA DETAILS

Installed wrong. The phase matching device was not plugged in. Burned out microwave, 2 air conditioners, an attic fan and several power supplies.

Nov 18, 2018

Hi Richard, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

Michele Mallet
October 1st, 2019 Cream Ridge, NJ DETAILS

WE had Vivint install our system in MAy2019. Our house is on a golf course. One panel has damage they are claiming was from a golf ball hit. Vivant want us to pay $995 to replace the panel. They say in their contract they do not cover golf ball damage to their panels. Why would you install a system on a golf course home don't warranty that.?? This panel was damaged before the system was turned over to us us. They said try and go through our home owners policy. We have a 1500 deductible. Vivant said if homeowners would not cover they would work with us. Nothing. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! Awful customer service department

Oct 01, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Michele. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can take a closer look. Thank you!

Tanis
September 27th, 2019 Orange, NJ DETAILS

Vivint Solar has a poor billing system. I have called numerous times to correct their billing errors. I always get the same answer. They want me to just pay the bill and they will correct the problem in one to two billing cycles. That's a joke. What person pays for services not received. For 45 days we were not receiving production on our panels. We were informed by PSE&G that our bill was $750. I asked if there was in any solar production from our panel being used by PSE&G. The answer was NO. I contacted Vivint Solar and was informed that the panels weren't working. I was informed that because the panels weren't working we received and estimated bill based on how much energy the solar should have produced. I asked the representative about this problem and was told that they had over 5,000 customers and didn't have time to correct problems. I informed her that PSE&G has more than 5,000 customers and that was a stupid excuse. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They are a joke.

Oct 01, 2019

Oh no, Tanis! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

B Wood-Cloud
September 26th, 2019

Salesperson rude, condescending, unprofessional, and certainly made comments that you should be ashamed to have had him represent your company. A 90 year old man , who does not own the house, of which the salesperson was told, was being solicited to buy product. I, the owner of the house was notified by family, as I own the home. I asked him how to spell name of company and he told me “I was a big girl and could look it up [email protected] I told him to get off the property. If that is how prospective customers, you need to be out of business!!!!

Sep 27, 2019

Hello, we are sorry to hear about this experience. We would like to look into this further. Please send us an email to [email protected] with this review and any information you may have regarding the representative or your address so we can look into this. Thank you.

josephine
September 26th, 2019 Linthicum Heights, MD DETAILS

Vivint came out and told my mother she would never receive a bill or have rate increases. being elderly she trusted the gentleman and read/understood as much as she could on the contract asking him questions when she didn't. he completely lied to her through all 3 presentations and now that I am helping with her finances I find out that she does receive monthly bills and her energy rate goes up 2.9 percent every year. Again she is elderly and probably should have never even been allowed to sign on her own but read your contracts carefully. I found out she started at 10 cents is now at 12 cents due to the 2.9 percent rate increase per year and by the time her contract ends in 20 years she will be paying over 20 cents per KWH. Even BGE is only charging her 7 cents at the moment so how is she winning. She is now paying 5 cents more to Vivint per KWH then she actually is to BGE. She isn't saving anything and the solar panel company is making a profit off her and now I'm stuck and don't know what to do.

Sep 27, 2019

Josephine, again we are sorry to hear about this. Please send us an email to [email protected] with the address and this review so we can look into this. Thank you.

Jack
September 19th, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS

I inherited this lease when I purchased my home this year. This company is honestly the worse utility company I have ever dealt with. After six months of dealing with them I have yet to receive a statement or bill. I am forced to call them to find out how much I owe, basically doing their job for them. Their website tells you that you’ll talk to a human but in reality you won’t, you’ll go thru an automated menu, then you’ll wait in queue and then you might eventually talk to a person. Basically, they are an incompetent company, zero communication skills, and horrible customer service. How hard can it be to provide someone with a statement of how much they owe, every other utility company switched me in a matter of minutes. After six months, a score of phone calls, a plethora of emails, they still haven’t figured out how to bill me. I get snapshots of my usage and past-due account balance notifications via email so I know I’m in their system, however, no statement to date. So I have stopped paying because I don’t know how much I owe and I am now looking into legal actions to break the lease.

Sep 27, 2019

Thanks for letting us know, Jack. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience with us. We're sorry to hear you continue to experience issues with your billing. Can you please send us an email to [email protected] with your address so we can look into this? Thanks!

H. Kirby
September 18th, 2019 Boonsboro, MD DETAILS

A terrible company to do business with. Too many issues of with bad communications to list here. They always respond late or not at all regarding installation, billing, or any service. My panels were installed on my 21 year old roof and they said it was okay. A year later after problems with my roof, I had to pay them for the panels to be removed, in order to replace the roof. Now that I'm trying to refinance my home for other improvements, I find that they have language in the contract to place themselves on my home title. And Vivint won't remove themselves from the title to allow my refinance to go through. This very suspicious considering they don't have my wife's signature on the contract. Don't sign the companies digital contract that the sales person presents, because you won't see the hidden details of the contract.

Sep 27, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address so we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Michael LoRusso
September 18th, 2019 Hamden, CT DETAILS

One of the worst moves I have ever made was to sign up with Vivint. The salesman lied about savings(There isn't any), pricing and customer service. Installed in Feb '18 and finally running in May '19. Spoke to someone about my roof leaking after installation. It is Sept '19 and still have not received any response from company. My electric bills are now at least $60.00 a month more than when I just had UI. I HAVE NOW SHUT THE SOLAR OFF

Sep 27, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Michael. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your address so we can help you out? Thanks!

Tracy O
September 13th, 2019 Suffield, CT DETAILS

Less than zero stars if possible. they are twice as much as my electric, and have not saved me any money. they will not return calls or explain how this is possible. I am highly disappointed and this is the worst decision I've made

Yanitze Chucuan
September 11th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

Same case as ( The below person ) literally stuck with two extra high bills edison and solar panels! And my husband and i are home if anything 4 hrs a day !!!! ——————————————- We purchased a home that had just recently been outfitted with Vivint Solar Panels. During the process of closing on the home loan we were informed (by our realtor) that we would need to have the solar contract reassigned to us. This was literally days before we were to close. The previous owner led us to believe it was just part of the home sale. (Not Vivint's fault) However, we also later learned that Vivint had been notified of the sale of the home by our real estate agent. In the rush to get the loan closed and due to our total lack of knowledge regarding solar systems and the contracts that go with them, we requested the paperwork to complete the process. AT NO TIME did Vivint offer to provide us with a detailed overview and explanation of the contract terms for what I later learned was a "lease" not even a purchase. We blindly and hastily signed the necessary paperwork, something I regret deeply now and in hindsight AFTER finally getting a copy of the formal contract. When I read it I felt like the biggest sucker on the planet. It's a 20 year lease, the payments started at about $120 per month, but they increase every year by 3%. Do the math and see how much my power bill will be in 20 years...when I'm retired and living on a fixed income and the panels are less effective due to age. I take responsibility for not demanding more transparency on Vivint's part but I also feel Vivint had no interest in being proactive in letting me know what I was signing up for during a very hectic and busy time as we were closing on a home loan. In hindsight, I would never have signed those documents and likely not purchased the home. If I was going to get solar panels I would have done a purchase agreement, not a lease. I contacted Vivint after reading the lease agreement. I explained the situation. I acknowledged my fault in signing the agreement but also explaining that I felt I was misinformed and not given the information I needed to be informed until after the fact. The man on the phone was very curt and basically said too bad, but not in those words. I asked if it would be possible to change my contract to a purchase agreement rather than a lease. He put me on hold and when he came back he said I could purchase the agreement for $75,000. At that point I just hung up. My experience with Vivint has been less than satisfactory and my only interactions with personnel were not pleasant. Their lease agreements are not advantageous to the customer. You get none of the tax benefits. You can't participate in any of the government rebate programs and you don't get the benefit of selling your excess power production back to the grid. You're stuck with a payment that gradually increases every year for 20 years. I don't know what happens after that. A new roof I guess. I can not, in good conscience recommend Vivint for solar power. They have been sued by numerous states for deceptive sales practices by their door to door sales people and have settled most of them out of court so as to keep the details out of public view. But if you dig, you can find enough to dissuade you. I had hoped to at least have the opportunity to change my situation, knowing I am stuck in a contract with no recourse unless a class action suit is brought by other customers in the state of Utah. That's likely not going to happen because Vivint is a Utah company and I'm sure has many friends and allies up on the hill at the state capital. All I can do is share my honest frustrations in a review based on my own experience. I wish Vivint was more transparent and actually cared more about the customer. I'm sure they have some happy customers. Had I been treated differently and my situation handled better from the beginning I would be one too. I'll never know. I'm stuck in what appears to be a no-win situation.

Randy Scoville
September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

A rep came to my door. I have a no soliciting sign on my door. They knocked anyway. I kindly explained that I had a solar quote already and didn't do it. They were aggressive in saying that I didn't fully understand, and that if I did, I would buy.

Sep 04, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Randy. We completely understand your frustration! If you have the representatives name or their badge ID please feel free to email us at [email protected] Thank you for your feedback.

ERIK B
August 27th, 2019 Bondsville, MA DETAILS

I WISH I COULD LEAVE A ZERO STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWFUL COMPANY, DON'T DO IT. THEY SUPPOSEDLY INSPECTED THE ROOF AND SAID IT WAS FINE TO INSTALL SOLAR. WELL SHORT TIME LATER, I NEED A NEW ROOF AND NOW THEY WANT $2,900 TO TAKE THE PANELS OFF AND RE-INSTALL THEM, AFTER I WAS TOLD IN THE BEGINING IT WOULD BE AROUND $500. I AM CONTACTING THE ATT. GENERAL'S OFFICE AND THE BBB AND ANYONE ELSE TO GET THIS DAMAGING CRAP OFF OF MY ROOF. THEY TOTALLY MIS-REPRESENTED THEMSELVES AND LIED ABOUT THE ROOF. EITHER THERE INSPECTOR WAS A MORON OR THEY LIED TO ME.

Aug 27, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Erik. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thank you.

Gregory Tausch
August 23rd, 2019 Brooklyn, MD DETAILS

Worst customer service experienced ever. No one answers the phone and no one calls back if you leave a message. The power offset that was promised is not there. My electric bill remains the same amount of usage with or without the system. I can't get any help from anyone because all they care about is if their system is running so they can collect their payments. They have zero interest in helping me get the system working properly.

Aug 23, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Gregory. We completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable but sometimes we do make mistakes. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Jim Dyer
August 20th, 2019 Roslindale, MA DETAILS

I'm a Vivint Solar customer since August of '17, and so far everything is exactly as agreed upon. I pay only for the energy provided by the sun, and the monthly bill is the price I expect to pay, calculated by energy produced. Recently, I calculated the 2.9% annual increase that I will pay over the life of the 20 year contract. My contract started at .159 (or 15.9 cents) per kWh and at the end of 20 years, that number will slowly increase to approx. 28.3 cents. I looked at an electricity bill prior to being on solar, and calculated the cost of the entire bill (all delivery charges, fees, etc. added in), divided by the kWh usage, and came out to 28.3 cents per kWh at that time. That tells me that, even at the end of my 20 years of increases, Vivin't rate will never be higher than the grid rate - unless the grid rate should drop significantly... Also, there are no taxes or fees. I pay exactly the rate times the energy produced, and nothing more. A small added benefit: Through Net-metering, the energy I sell back to the grid gets credited to me, currently at the rate of 20 to 22 cents per kWh. I (currently) pay 16.4 cents. So, for every 100 kWh I get credited for, I'm making $4.00 - $6.00 more than what I paid for it. And when grid electricity goes up, I'm sure the credit back to me will increase. Not too shabby. If I were to buy and own the solar panels outright, I would have virtually no payments to the grid. However, the upfront cost would run me around 14K after tax incentives. My plan didn't cost me a penny, just the 20 year contract for cheaper and green electricity. Also, at no cost to me, before getting the panels installed on my roof, Vivint set me up with new electric service, from the street to my home to a new circuit-breaker panel box. They also upgraded my service from 60 to 100 amps. If I were to have that done on my own, I'd have to pay an electrician a few thousand dollars out of pocket. Just an added bonus in my Vivint experience. Two-years in, I'm interested to know what kind of buyout offer I'll be presented with just after year 6 into the contract. I like knowing that any maintenance which may be required for the duration of the contract is not my concern, so in four years, I'll have to do much consideration on that buyout offer. Long story short (oops, too late), Vivint has cost me less for my electricity and I love being green.

Aug 23, 2019

Your review brightened our day, Jim! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're so happy you chose us as your solar provider!

Karen
August 20th, 2019 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS

The purchase and installation was very smooth. We liked that we paid very little for our monthly power payment. However we found that we need to repair our roof about a month ago. We have call many times to contact Vivint for help with the removal and reinstall. Only once after a very very long hold were we able to speak to someone who informed us of the charge to do this. We paid the fee and were told that we would be contacted for scheduling. No news! Our roofing contractor keeps asking when they can start. ??? If we could just get a hold of Vivint to schedule that would be great. Every time we call we are on hold for 30 + minutes. It would be great if we had tons of time to just wait but we work. So we are just very frustrated. Just answer for phone. For real.

Aug 23, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Karen. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thanks you!

Gordon Gibb
August 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Excellent design and installation of our system. The app lets me monitor my electricity generation at any time.

Aug 20, 2019

Thanks for your review, Gordon! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

George Joseph
August 16th, 2019 North Haven, CT

It has been almost a year I signed up the contract and still working on it. Customer service is so poor and it takes forever to get a response. I will never recommend them to anyone.

Aug 16, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your information and review so we can look into this? Thank you.

William S. Beck
August 16th, 2019 Henderson, NV DETAILS

Once equipment was installed it took two months to get it activated. They do not send bills on time, but give you a hard time if you don't pay on time. They prefer deduction directly from your account rather than Bill. If given a choice, I would not recommend Vivint Solar to my worst enemy, and definitely not a friend or relative.

Aug 16, 2019

We apologize for dropping the ball on your experience. Customer service is really important to us, but sometimes we make mistakes. We'd love to look into this for you. Please send us a private message with your account information so we can help you. Thank you for your patience!

Kathy
August 14th, 2019 Warrington, PA DETAILS

We have had Vivint for several years now and it has been great. Our electric bill dropped immediately. Most spring/summer/fall months our electric bill is under $20. And the solar portion is about 1/2 of what the original electric bill was. Our house is total electric so this makes a big difference. The install took a while due to permits and all, but when the finally were able to install the system all went smoothly, fast and they cleaned up after themselves. Overall I am very pleased

Aug 16, 2019

Thanks for your review, Kathy! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you and we're delighted that you're part of our solar community. Thanks for doing your part to protect our earth.

Mrs. Marquez
August 14th, 2019 Camarillo, CA DETAILS

Would give zero stars if I could I am now on hold with vivint with the third person I have been transferred to... its going on 45 minutes now. I took ownership of my home which had solar already installed 5 months now and have had nothing but terrible service, First, I am being billed for a year of the previous owners service which was "offline" ... I filed a dispute right away, but that didn't stop the harassment of calls and emails about "my" delinquent account... I was told if I pay the past amount when my dispute is cleared I will be credited the amount, because I shouldn't be billed for the previous owners time - said the rep from vivint!... So I pay it, My dispute was not found in my favor and now I am on hold because that is ridiculous! I should not have to pay for something that I did not even own at the time!!! Please look elsewhere for your solar needs ... I didn't have a choice, It came with my dream home.

Aug 16, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about your experience. We completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable but sometimes we do make mistakes. Can you send us your account number and the review to [email protected] so we can help resolve this for you? Thanks!

barbara
August 14th, 2019 Marcus Hook, PA DETAILS

The sales man said we'd save money. I read the paperwork that said we paid only for the amount of electricity we produced. This was great in the winter when I got a partial bill from my electric supplier and a partial bill from Vivint. However, in the summer, my roof produces over twice what we use, but the contract state we pay for the production, not our usage. This production amount is far higher than the "estimated" production we were quoted. That amount was less than we use. The entire process of getting the solar installed and operational took 3 times as long as they said. The system stopped receiving information and we got estimated bills that they said would be fixed and credit given if we over paid. No credit was ever given. We've had them since 2017, a little under 2 years and have had trouble from the beginning. No help ever, and now my electric rate is far lower from the regular supplier than from Vivint! I want the system gone but signed a 20 year contract. I need to figure out how to get out of the contract, NOW.

Aug 16, 2019

Thank you for reaching out to us, Barbara. We definitely want you to experience all the benefits of solar. Can we have a look? Please send us an email to [email protected] with your account number and review so we can see if it's something on our end. Thanks! P.S. did you know that your savings may fluctuate from season to season? Read more on our blog: https://www.vivintsolar.com/blog/why-does-my-vivint-solar-bill-change

Alfredo Marquez
August 11th, 2019 Stockton, CA

Tyler has explained everything perfectly. All my questions and concerns are addressed in a timely manor. Work was completed and looks very nice and neat

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you for the positive feedback, Alfredo. We are glad that our sales representative was professional and knowledgeable. Thank you for going solar with us!

Doug
August 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, Doug. We are sorry to hear about your experience, we would be frustrated too! We would love to look further into your concerns and see how we can help you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thank you.

Lynn James
August 11th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA

Daniel the salesman was great! At first, my credit was just below the point of being eligible, so he hooked me up with a credit company to fix the errors on my credit, free of charge. Then he had my circuit box replaced with a brand new one, free of charge, then he had the solar panels installed. Everything went so smoothly and now I’m looking forward to a smaller electrical bill.

Aug 13, 2019

Hi Lynn, thanks for leaving us a review. We are thrilled to hear how helpful our sales representative was. Our goal is for going solar to be easy and enjoyable, and we are happy you had a positive experience. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Bruce
August 8th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS

My pg&e bills are next to nothing, but now I am paying Vivint the same as if I was paying the electric company, Vivint billed us $419.00 dollars for June afraid to see what the next bill will be,,,,,,it’s all Bs ......I just pay high monthly bills to them instead of PG&E...........AND ITS LOCKED INTO A STINKING 10;year contract..........crooks

Aug 13, 2019

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Bruce. While monthly savings will vary depending on your usage, we definitely want to look into this for you to make sure you're getting the full benefits. Please send your address and review to [email protected] P.S. did you know that your savings may fluctuate from season to season? Read more on our blog: https://www.vivintsolar.com/blog/why-does-my-vivint-solar-bill-change

Charlene
August 7th, 2019 San Mateo, CA DETAILS

We have been with Vivint 3 years. They are an acceptable company, but certainly not outstanding. We were misinformed @ the cost of permanent roof removal and also the time it takes to get the system up and running. Their customer service is frustrating, long wait times to talk to a rep., and we end up communicating by e-mail. It takes at least a day to receive a reply e-mail from Vivant, and every time we reply to them that's an additional day's time. We're trying to have our roofer communicate with Vivint and there is no direct # or specified person to call, access is only through the 877 #. Also, we're saving little money with solar and, looking back, it hasn't been worth the effort for us.

Aug 13, 2019

Hi Charlene, thank you for your feedback. Customer service is extremely important to us and we are sorry to hear that you have not had an outstanding experience with us. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help you. Thanks.

Mario Arenas
August 7th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA

Everything was good, great and fast in one day.

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you for your review, Mario! We are so happy that you had a positive experience with our installation team and that they were very efficient. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Lina P
August 6th, 2019 Land O' Lakes, FL DETAILS

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!! They tell you so many lies just to get you to get their solar panels. One of their lies is that you are going to get 10K in tax return so our loan was done 10k less of the total amount. When we went to do our taxes our accountant told us that is a lie, because nobody gets a return, you only get that as a credit if you own the IRS that money. So please make your research, when we didn't pay the loan company the 10k they raised our payment from $180 to $265. Our electricity bill was $200 in average, actually I'm paying an average of $150 for electricity plus $265 fo solar panels. When our system was installed worked good for the first three or four months and then we lost communications and our electric bill went up. It hasn't came down since. We've had the solar panels for about a year a half and back in March our system stopped producing electricity for about 2 a half months. When I realized our system was down I called and it took them three weeks to come and fix it. Meanwhile I was paying up to $400 in electricity and still had to pay for the panels. I've been calling for the last three months trying to get compensated and the last I heard is that because we have a loan the DO NOT guarantee production. This is the only company that can't guarantee the service that you are paying for. They have the worst costumer service, the only people you can talk to are incompetent people that keep saying I can't do anything for you. They can't transfer you to anybody, they are filters to managers and supervisors as all they say is that there is nobody physical there with them and they don't have the authority to help them. They might as well just have answering machines.

Aug 07, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Lina. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Sandy
August 6th, 2019 Clayton, CA DETAILS

Just found out our system has been offline since May of 2018. Yes - that's year 2018. With absolutely no notification from Vivent. Hit with exorbitant PG&E - NEM charges that I cannot get rectified. Asked for verification if actual production from panels ever really went into the grid -- No Vivent response. Re-requested email verification -- No Vivent response. Still waiting for a technician to come fix the problem. What a nightmare.

Aug 07, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Sandy. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your address and review so we can help you out? Thanks!

Lonnie trudell
August 5th, 2019 Corona, CA

Dont go with this company,they're fraud! They put panels on our rental property without our consent, just by asking our tenet to sign for the work. Now they won't return any of our calls and put a lien on our property. Now seeking Legal action!

Aug 05, 2019

Hi Lonnie, thank you for reaching out. We are so sorry to hear about your frustrations but we would love to look further into them. Please send your address and review to [email protected] Thank you.

Paul
August 1st, 2019 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS

The crew was on time, courteous and very good at their jobs. Very professional.

Aug 02, 2019

Thanks for your review, Paul! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Juan
August 1st, 2019 Bakersfield, CA

Very organized , quick and did well on communication. Good on safety. Very polite.

Aug 02, 2019

Thanks for the feedback! We work hard to deliver the best solar experience possible. It helps that we have amazing customers like you. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider! Keep up the good energy.

Janice Schmidt
July 30th, 2019 Merced, CA

Wow, so surprised their replies to reviews are so quick.....been waiting to operate over a year and half!!! With summer almost over they haven’t been helpful at all. All I get are excuses.....and that’s when I call because after the panels were installed they quit calling me! No updates period! I could never have a good Conscience if I were to refer them, but that’s NOT going to EVER happen.

Aug 01, 2019

Thank you for reaching out to us, Janice. We apologize that it's taken longer than expected—we'd be frustrated too! Although we do our best to keep the solar process moving forward, we do occasionally run into hiccups. Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your account number so we can look more into this? Thanks!

Kyle Mauger
July 29th, 2019 Commerce City, CO DETAILS

Once they get the sale expect hour waits and no communication. Zero customer service post sale and 100 commitment presale. When installing my system they even used an old used breaker during install. Won’t replace it or follow up. Terrible experience.

Jul 29, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Kyle. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Can you send us an email to [email protected] with your account information so we can help you out? Thanks!

Rob Parsons
July 29th, 2019 Oakland, CA DETAILS

I am so happy I went solar! I chose Vivint because they were the first ones to explain all of the details to me! I got a free 1 hour consultation in my home covering every question I had. My average Electric Rate with PG&E was 24¢ and now I am paying 18¢ with Vivint Solar. They even upgraded my electrical panel on the outside of my house! All of this was NO COST to me, and now I have Solar Power for my home! I definitely recommend getting Solar, instead of going with PG&E increases to customers because of all the wildfire liabilities they have to pay for. If your roof is in good condition, go for it!

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks for your review, Rob! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Steven Chait
July 29th, 2019 Verona, NJ DETAILS

Started out rocky, I stepped in to put things in motion, called PSEG to get net meter. Then on going tech issues for several months. System not communicating with home office. Apparently they don’t monitor systems.

Jul 29, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Steven. We completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable but sometimes we do make mistakes. Can you email us your address to [email protected] so we can help resolve this for you? Thanks!

Joe
July 29th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Don't sign a contract with them a leach will come to your house and tell you they will save you $$. Their customers service is clueless. As soon as my contract is up I will rip their panels off my self and buy my own panels.

Jul 29, 2019

We apologize for dropping the ball on your experience. Customer service is really important to us, but sometimes we make mistakes. We'd love to look into this for you. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your account information so we can help you. Thank you for your patience!

Mike
July 25th, 2019 Lincoln, CA DETAILS

We bought our solar in December of 2018. The salesman "Travis H" lied to us, He said that we would get reimbursed on all our PG and E electric bills from date of signing to day of operation (which was approx. five months). When I got ahold of him to let him know we were operational he said he "didn't know it would take so long for our system to be operational and could only honor 2 months of electricity bills from PG and E. I submitted my January and February bills to him for reimbursement and have never heard from him again. Also, we were promised vouchers to go on a cruise. We never got those either and when I inquired about the vouchers we were told that there were no more vouchers and we were just plain out of luck. These two items were offered as incentives to go with Vivint. It was all a big fat lie! I was hoping to see a big difference in our power bill. True, our PG and E bill is practically nothing about $14 dollars, but our Vivint bill is $305.00. Yes, that is still about 100 dollars less than this time last year with just PG and E. I was hoping for a bigger savings. Travis made us believe that our power bill from Vivint would be around $200. Between waiting forever to get up and running to being lied to about the incentives and not seeing a reduction of about 50% on our electricity bill I would have to say BUYER BEWARE! I was sooo skeptical about doing this. Vivint confirmed my fears and now we are married them for at least 20 years.

Jul 26, 2019

Hi Mike, we're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can look into this. Thank you.

James
July 24th, 2019 Springfield, MA DETAILS

We have had the Vivint Solar Company install solar panels on our roof. in which we’re faulty They are coming to fix the roof from the leaking caused by the solar panels. Putting up critter guards and raising up the panels to prevent any other damage. So far we had a roofing contractor come over to access the damage to our roof. We have not heard anything back from Vivint Solar. This has been going on since April 24 th. We are hoping to hear from them soon.

May 09, 2019

Hi James, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

CN
July 16th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

AVOID VIVANT SOLAR!!!!!!!! This company is absolutely HORRIBLE and I have advised EVERYONE that I know to run!!! My whole experience has been completely beyond aggravating and I am sorry I ever started the process. From inspectors showing up without notification, no notification that the system was being installed, the system being put on standby for weeks with no one noticing until I drove to the local office, nothing but lip service and passing of the buck for the "customer service department" to absolutely no one having the ability to tell me why my app is not working nor how to fix it and being put on hold for an hour and a half. JUST DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2019

Hi, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further for you. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

MQcapecod
July 12th, 2019 Hyannis, MA DETAILS

Thiago stopped by a few months ago and discussed the solar options for us. He has been absolutely great to work with. He has been attentive and always responds and updates us! We tried to get solar before but didn’t qualify because of a few trees around our house. Thiago helped take care of trees and got us approved. The install went great, the guys did a good job. The process took longer but now that the system is up and running we are thrilled to be saving on our electric bills.

Jul 12, 2019

Hi, we love hearing that you've had a great experience with Thiago and that you are seeing the benefits of going solar. Thank you for your review.

Richard Wagner
July 11th, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS

I have had solar from Vivint for about 18 months. The first year was fine. and I have no complaints about the system. This year the whole thing fell apart from the billing point of view. I stated getting crazy bills in April which billed for solar production at three times what was possible. I went back though my bills and discovered that the bills for this year were totally unrelated to my solar production. I called customer service and the rep told me she understood and would fix it. Nothing happened. I called again a week later, and the rep told me that the bill was high because of daylight savings time which increased the amount of energy received from the sun. I kept getting messages from the Company to pay my bill but any attempt to respond the the messages resulted in dead ends. I finally wrote the the company president about the problem and have received no reply. Another bill came today and said that I owed them $234.00. At the current rate of under 17.5 cents per KWH, I should have produced over 1337 KWHs. The website says that I produced 444 KWH Which means that they charged me is 3 times the contracted rate. I have yet to have a person contact me with an explanation.

Jul 13, 2019

Hi Richard, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations with billing. We want to look into this for you. Please send us an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you.

Andrea
July 11th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

Only been with Vivint for 3 months and completely disappointed. Would of been better to stay with PG&E. Was told how much money I would save and I am paying more to them then I did last year to PG&E. Save yourself some time and frustration and go somewhere else.

Jul 12, 2019

Hi Andrea, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this for you. Please send us an email to [email protected] with your address. Thank you.

Wendi
July 10th, 2019 Covina, CA

Vivent is a great company! We had a great experience! Kyle is awesome and helped us through the whole process and answered every question!! We would totally recommend this company to anyone considering solar!! Everything was a lot easier than we ever thought possible!!

Jul 10, 2019

Hi Wendi, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that Kyle was professional and helpful. We appreciate your recommendation. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!