Vivint Solar verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

7.2

Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a company based in Lehi, Utah, that designs, installs, and maintains PV solar panel systems. Vivint Solar was one of the first solar companies to offer a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power they produce, limiting risk in the 20-year contract. A potential drawback of Vivint Solar is the delay in installation that customers have reported on our site.

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including cash purchase, loan, lease, PPA, and PACE financing. With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to find a solar financing solution that best fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple to take care of your solar panels if you decide to move. You will be given four options if you choose to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new owner, pre-paying the agreement, relocating your system at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is currently available in 19 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Vermont. This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to go solar with Vivint.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with PPA
  • Installation Delays
  • No Mobile App

Annual Price Increase with PPA

It should be noted that there is a pre-determined price increase with PPAs that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately. With Vivint, the price increase is set at 2.9 percent annually.

Installation Delays

While Vivint can install a solar system within a day, some customers have had issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running. Although this issue pertains more to the city than the solar company, customers have described Vivint customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality during this frustrating time. If responsive customer support is important to you, check out Solar Spectruma company that ranks exceptionally high in that category.

No Mobile App

At this time, Vivint Solar does not offer an app for Android, iOS, or Windows devices. However, Vivint Solar does provide a mobile-optimized site for customers to monitor their production and usage.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar offers multiple financing options to help customers of all budgets make the switch to solar. However, some consumer reviews left on our site have mentioned poor customer service from the company. Additionally, delays in installation appear to be common with Vivint Solar.

View Best Solar Companies

3.2

November 20th, 2017 Fairfield, NJ DETAILS

when they first started 2011 they where good..calling us letting us know some panels are not working...now 2017 some panels stop working and they only way we found out was or bill from PSG&E went up and our bill from Vivint went down...they do not monitor the panels...you are better off putting up your own... update... was suppose to have service done on panels today, after waiting 2 weeks ,, guess what no service guy and no phone call... just panels on my roof that do not work... stay away from Vivint

November 20th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Every one was very helpfull & courteous

November 20th, 2017 Waterbury, CT DETAILS

Very professional, and clean work, the guys did not leave a piece of trash laying around, it was all cleaned up.

November 20th, 2017 Attleboro, MA

I have only been up and running for a couple of weeks now so I cannot accurately speak to amount of savings on electric bills. But as far as the process from the initial approach by my agent, Eric C, who has been fantastic to work with, the company is the real deal. Organized, communicating regularly, knowledgeable and pleasant.

November 18th, 2017 West Wareham, MA

The sales representative that I dealt (Chris W) with was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and patient. Unfortunately we did decided not to go with solar for the time being. Reason was not because of Vivint or Chris, but a household decision between my wife and I. Chris was awesome and I have requested that he contact me in the springtime of 2018 as perhaps we will be ready then. I will only deal with Chris W.

November 17th, 2017 Clearwater, FL

A very professional group of workers . Explains procedures and expectations from the beginning to end. Quite impressed will recommend to any one interested

November 17th, 2017 Princess Anne, MD

Dane was extremely helpful in providing information and keeping me updated as to progress. Installers were very professional and aware of following all safety guidelines. Finished product looks great!

November 16th, 2017 Hopkinton, MA

Austin, the saleman , was very knowledgeable and did not hesitate to answer questions including the ones I had after our meeting. My wife and I sat down after the meeting and compiled a list of questions.(what happens in a fire, hail damage, sale of house, copy of the contract, etc) Installation: The crew arrived around 8AM and finished about 4:30. Both Patrick and the head electrician were very polite and informative. All the workers were very professional. As far as I can tell, the installation looks great. The piping and the location of the inverters is well chosen. Now all I need is to get the system turned on to see how much I will be able to save on electricity.

November 16th, 2017 Minneola, FL

A little delayed d/t local inspectors but Bryce always in touch and on top of his game.Not just a salesman.Very down to earth and consider him a friend.No pressure,essential,factual information!His f/u before during and after application very reassuring!Certainly a great asset to the company!

November 16th, 2017 St. Petersburg, FL

All the employees treated us with professional service. It was an easy process from start to finish. I was apprehensive and had hesitations of finally taking the first steps, but very happy we did!

November 16th, 2017 Hamden, CT DETAILS

Excellent service and an amazing product. I had the pleasure of dealing with the folks from Vivint Solar and couldn't be more pleased. Everyone in the process was extremely professional, well informed, and courteous. Our sales rep Josh Jones explained the entire process to us, answering any and all questions thoroughly. Even though sales was his job, Josh was never pushy, never tried to rush a decision, or did anything to make us uncomfortable at all. The process went extremely smooth, from the initial appointment all the way through the final installation. The install team was terrific and took great care to do an amazing job, really great group of guys. Our brand new solar system is hooked up and we can't wait to reap the rewards. Thank you to Josh Jones, the installation team, and everyone at Vivint Solar that made this decision not only economical, but pleasant as well.

November 15th, 2017 Absecon, NJ

Friendly, polite & courteous, from the sales rep to the installation crew. After installing the panels a few weren't registering online as operational, they stayed behind AND returned the next day to ensue everything was working correctly, rather than saying "we'll send someone back at a later date", (which would have been easier). Waiting for township inspector, so not much more to offer yet, but so far, so good.

November 15th, 2017 Feura Bush, NY

Pleased with both sales and installers. Worked hard to keep ball rolling with building permit and installed in two days, which was a true task at 85 panels

November 14th, 2017 Groveland, FL DETAILS

Installers came on time and were very efficient. Upon installation, they showed me the new system and explained the process for getting it online.

November 14th, 2017 Toms River, NJ

Installers were very courteous and professional. Upon completion, everything was cleaned up.

November 14th, 2017 Land O' Lakes, FL

The process went smoothly and all our questions were answered so we could understand how the system works and what we would save now and in the future. The installers were especially knowledgeable and very efficient.

November 11th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

We've had Vivint Solar for over 3 yrs now. Best decision we've made in a long time. Before Vivint our peak summer bill was around $950. And now our peak summer bill is peak $300. the install was professional, service has always been consistent. We wish we had vivint installed a lot sooner. the other main reason we went with vivint is when we move the vivint solar energy bill is guaranteed to transfer to the new homeowner regardless of their credit. Satisfied all around!

November 11th, 2017 Toms River, NJ

Very professional technicians. They kept me informed on the updates of installation.

November 10th, 2017 Merced, CA

Why isn’t Awesome Bryce married? Love, Love Love him. He’s even better looking from 1 year ago! Very knowledgeable and patient with all of our questions. Cash vs PPA vs Loan. Thank you Bryce for explaining all!

November 7th, 2017 Amityville, NY DETAILS

We have soured on Vivint. It turns out that the installer of the box on the house made a mistake (didn't put sealant all around the box). Half of our panels shorted out twice resulting in losing solar power for 2-3 months each time. It wasn't until the second repairman/electrician figured out the installation issue. Vivint refused compensation for the second occurrence despite it's faulty installation. Numerous emails and phone conversations resulted in being stonewalled. They said they would call back but didn't. I had to chase them. Robotic flavor to conversations with customer service. We regret chosing Vivint.

November 7th, 2017 DETAILS

Excellent- best if you clearly understand all gear involved with install and planned placement. Be onsite to help ensure installation of inverters, equipment is placed to your satisfaction.

November 5th, 2017 Blackstone, MA DETAILS

I made a deal with Vivint Solar. It took them over a year once we signed the contract to have the system operational. I would NOT deal with these people. They do NOT have their act together. They are worse than dealing with Comcast.

November 5th, 2017 Garfield, NJ DETAILS

My experience with vivint solar is a night mare untill today. I do advise all of you out there who is looking for solar, get it if you ar looking for but NOT FROM VIVINT SOLAR. Ill tell you only a bit of my story. From December when salesman came at my house, explained everything about solar and never mentioned about contractor. He shows a page for proof of there insurance to sign. And no contract or anything else. That insurance certificates have expired policy and vivint solar dose forge your signature (like they did in my case) I called them many times to cancell and they refused. So i said simce im not paying for it, i let them instoll it. (Big mistake) My service was installed in February and the system was approved to be turned on on march. No one from vivint did turned on the system even i was on phone with them every week untill August. On June, July and August they charge my cc without having system on for $383. I called billing they told me that a credit will be on your account untill November 2 i haven't seen any credit. Called account over 40 time and waiting for over 45 minutes for someone to pick up and barley. When i called for new service with 1 ring they picked up. I asked them a question. Why when i call billing department i get to be placed on hold fir 45 minutes, and when i need te became a vivint costumer you pick up with 1 ring. He laughed and said. Come one you already know the answers. New costumers are new costumers. I honestly got insulated. On November 2 vivint solar called me from collection department for $351 for 2 months billing. I told them that you charged me for 3 months that i dident have system on and i have credit fir $383. My bill is only $351 and i still jave over $30 credit. Bilking told me that a credit is on mu way since September and still havent apply to my acc. When i received collection call i said enough is enough. I paid them $351 and called my bank to decline the charges from vivint solar and never authorized them for electronic charge on my account. Now im looking with my attorney to sue them. I hope this story will help someone out there not to get burned like me. Good luck.

November 4th, 2017 Concord, CA

Salesman sold me to getting the solar. Inspector came two weeks ago and gave the okay. Marked the roof where the panels would go. Haven't heard a word from them since then. Which is fine. Decided not to go with them due to their horrible reviews.

November 3rd, 2017 Smithtown, NY DETAILS

We used Vivint because they had done a job at my aunt’s house. The representatives called and were very knowledgeable. They walked us through the whole process. Someone came to assess the electric panel, the roof, and our computer service. When the installers came, they were a cohesive team. Everything is checked and double-checked. After installation, another person came to inspect. We were very satisfied. After everything was done, we had a few questions and customer service was great at answering them.

November 2nd, 2017 Valencia, CA DETAILS

We had Vivint Solar on our previous home. We were happy with our install and our savings. Our sales representative Eric was great, helped us through out the whole process. When we sold our house it was a seamless process. Vivint was very professional. We highly recommend them.

November 2nd, 2017 Lynn, MA DETAILS

The man was very nice and very knowledgeable.

November 1st, 2017 Beaufort, SC

The biggest fly by night operation I ever delt with biggest mistake I ever made wish I could have it taken off my house I don't even care about the savings very blind sided

October 31st, 2017 Mine Hill, NJ DETAILS

There were delays and miscommunications - field tech staff were good, when here. Sales staff and customer relations very, very poor

October 31st, 2017 San Bernardino, CA DETAILS

Vivint has the worst customer service I have ever seen. They don't return calls, don't show up for appointments. lied to me continuously about doing a reinstall that has taken eight months and is still not done. Lied about not having technicians, lied about parts availability. I absolutely don't recommend them to anyone.

October 31st, 2017 Haverhill, MA DETAILS

Mackenzie F W is the best rep ever! Actually stopped by the house just to check in. We went over National Grid credits and out solar panel performance. We were against going solar at first but after having them for 4 years now we see the savings.

October 30th, 2017 Springfield, MA

So far, the experience has been easy and pleasant. The Area Manager has been pretty consistent in communicating and explaining. The installation crew was even a little early and they were efficient in getting the job done in the time I had been told.

October 30th, 2017 Johnston, RI

I had researched solar power for a few years before Edwin Reyes with Vivint Solar approached me one afternoon. The RE Energy program was being offered through National Grid and it all made sense for us to make the move. Working with Vivint through the whole process was very reassuring. My sales rep stayed in constant contact with me throughout the process answering any question I had and was proactive in keeping me informed about the time table and process. I would recommend Vivint solar to anyone who is contemplating the idea of going Solar.

October 30th, 2017 Bellmore, NY DETAILS

Great customer service. Installation was a breeze and the service engineers and electricians were all very professional and curteous.

October 30th, 2017

The people we have dealt with are exceedingly pleasant and knowledgeble. The team who installed the panels did a great job and cleaned up!

October 30th, 2017 Seekonk, MA DETAILS

Vivint has been great from start to finish from the sales rep adam to the custumer service the install team was great with hiding all the condit piping for a clean looking install of the solar panels.

October 26th, 2017 Stoughton, MA DETAILS

we had vinyl siding put 7/17/17 so vivint had to disconnect meters , I'VE had 3 -4 attempts to reconnect ,but they keep cancelling saying they're short manpower to this type of reconnect, not happy about whatsoever, here it is 10/26/*17 still not connected

October 25th, 2017 Randolph, MA

The salesman was very clear and patient with me when explaining process and procedure, benefits, and advantages of having a solar panel system

October 25th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Terrible! My parents had their installation guys come out, and they said their roof was fine to support all the panels. Less than a year later and they had a roof that is caving in. Took these yahoos forever to come over and remove the panels. Now the roof has been done for almost a month, and they won't even call back to say when they'll come reinstall the panels. So for almost 2 months my parents, who are in their 70's, have paid for panels they don't even have. I'm SERIOUSLY looking into contacting the county attorney's office, as it seems they prey on the elderly. Very shady. They also charged my parents $500 to remove the panels, when they NEVER should have been installed on a weak roof in the first place

October 23rd, 2017 North Babylon, NY DETAILS

I live on Long Island, NY and have my solar through Vivint. The sales person is and was wonderful. About 3 years after we got our panels installed we decided to do the siding on our house, which would require moving our electric cutoff and piping by Vivint. Was not looking forward to the run around of coordinating this with my siding contractor but was surprised when I called my same salesperson, who asked who my siding contractor was and then coordinated the entire thing for me. The best part is there was no cost to me. I was anticipating a charge but there was none. That is customer service. I will and do recommend Vivint to everyone I know. And by the way, if you do the math 2.9% increase on .16 per kw is still .16 per kw. So don't be fearful of the price increase. Cathy Chen is our sales person. She is awesome and definitely smart.