Vivint Solar

6.3

20 hours ago

Vivint Solar

verified
Vivint Solar offers multiple financing and moving options

Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Vivint Solar below.

3.2

Christine Weston
September 20th, 2018 Thousand Oaks, CA

Brannon M from Vivint Solar was such a pleasure to work with. He came to us and followed up each step in the process. We have been wanting to go solar for many years but thought we didn't have the money or the time to make it happen. Vivint made it easy and with no cost to us. We just get to reap the benefits of lower energy rates for years to come.

Gennie Hilliard
September 19th, 2018 Alpine, CA DETAILS

My husband and I received a knock on the door from Gentry R representing Vivint Solar Developer in 2013. He talked about the solar company and explained to us that we would be paying for the power produced by the solar panels and could remove them at any time as long as we paid a $500 fee to remove them. We asked Mr. R several times about the removing the panels if we moved or decided to purchase through a different company and he assured us it was a simple $500 process. My husband and I have attempted many times to contact a supervisor to discuss the removal. Every time we call we are put on hold or given an excuse as to why we cannot speak to a supervisor. My husband has contacted the Vivint customer service via email and they were dismissive and unhelpful. We have contacted several other customers of Vivint and they were told that they could remove the panels at any time for a $500 fee. We have written complaints to Better Business Bureau, the CA Attorney General, FTC complaintassistant.gov, and the complaint department with consumerfinance.gov. We have looked into other complaints on the internet. We are baffled as to how this company is still in business with the amount of complaints against them. In fact, there are many lawsuits against Vivint regarding deception, defrauding customers and engaging in unfair business practices. The New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas recently filed a lawsuit against Vivint for unfair trade practices. Vivint has also had to pay ADT $10 million in a lawsuit settlement over deceptive sales in Boca Raton, Florida. The list goes on and on with this business. There has also been an article written by Daniel S from The Hill titled Americans were duped by bad actors in rooftop solar industry. When we signed the contract, it appeared to be one page. We did not notice until later that a lot of fine print is written after our signatures. We were never shown the back side of the contract and we were made to believe the contract was one page. We have tried contacting Vivint to pay the $500 removal fee but are constantly given the run around. We have also noticed the panels are not producing what Vivint explained. We have spoken to an SDG&E representative and he told us the solar panels did not produce enough in 2017, hence our high electricity bill. We would like to resolve this issue with Vivint and have the solar panels removed as they promised through their representative, Gentry R. We have no problem paying the $500 removal fee that Mr. R promised. Please take a moment to look into this company by googling lawsuits against Vivint and complaints against Vivint. I feel that you would agree with the unfair practices.

Peter Pelland
September 17th, 2018 Haydenville, MA DETAILS

We are in our third year of a 20-year PPA with Vivint Solar. When I first got on board with Vivint, I dismissed the poor ratings as being written by customers who did not fully understand what they were getting into. You are not going to be getting free electricity; however, you will have lower electric costs after paying what will now be two utility bills each month. I understand that by leasing our roof space to Vivint, we enjoy many of the financial advantages of solar without incurring the costs of installation and maintenance. (Yes, they get the tax incentives and credits, and they sell us the power that is generated on our roofs.) As time goes on, I have learned that our biggest problem with Vivint Solar is that word “maintenance”. When our system was installed, I insisted that we be provided with the same system monitoring software interface from SolarEdge that is used by Vivint technicians. Most Vivint customers are NOT given access to this important system information, instead being provided with fairly useless “feel good” information about equivalent environmental benefits and whether or not the system was producing power. In my instance, I know when one of our panels or anything else in our system is malfunctioning. Whenever I see a problem with our system, I need to take the initiative of calling Vivint to schedule a service appointment. They quite obviously do not monitor customer systems or care enough to be proactive about scheduling necessary service appointments. Each time I have called to schedule service, we then wait ... and wait ... and wait. Currently, it has been over 3 weeks since I called because we are experiencing yet another instance of a power optimizer shutdown on one of our panels (something that seems to be a recurring defect on these Jinko panels.) I suspect that this post might bring Vivint to life. I should not have to be the one to make Vivint aware of problems like this. That should be their responsibility. And, when I do contact them, there is no excuse for the horribly slow response. In another instance, Vivint took it upon itself to cancel a service call (without notifying me, of course) because they determined that the problem had somehow fixed itself (apparently because a panel that had been generating no electricity had started generated 2 or 3% of what it should have been producing.) Earlier in the year, the system’s inverter broke down, leaving us with a system that generated zero power for nearly two months. When technicians arrive, it becomes clear that some know what they are doing, while others are simply young guys who need a job and are willing to climb up on roofs. They do not seem to be in touch with the fact that most people who install solar electric panels are fairly environmentally conscious. During our last service call (another instance of a power optimizer shutdown), we had TWO Vivint Solar vans idling in our yard, wasting fuel, for two hours ... presumably to keep their air conditioning running. The bottom line is that, when our system was first installed, I was a true evangelist for Vivint Solar, recommending it to several friends. After three years of experience working with Vivint, I would not recommend the company to my worst enemy. I am glad that I did not pay for the investment in our solar system, because it is clear to me in hindsight that this equipment is anything but maintenance-free; however, it is that same maintenance that is Vivint’s single greatest failure, at least in our instance. Vivint Solar puts far too much emphasis on sales (and no doubt collecting their incentives), with far too little emphasis on service. During the installation process, most of the delays are blamed upon the local utility and permitting authorities; however, once the system has been installed, the blame for service delays falls squarely upon Vivint Solar. Even when I have been provided with contact information and told to “call me if you have another problem”, those calls go unheeded. The company is either over-committed, under-resourced, or simply does not care.

James U
September 4th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

We lease are solar panels can’t get Vivint Solar app to work several emails no response. Didn’t even know I could check the panels to see if there working by the panel tell I read reviews. I’ve had good luck. Only complaint is no one told me about the utility true up bill. PG&E charges me 650.00 a year for having solar. Yes the bill is for electricity transfer and storage fees. I purchase electricity 18 cents per kilowatt and sell excess to PG&E foe 1/2 a cent a Killowatt. There are solar companies who allow you to store excess electricity and use it during the night. App access. Very nice vivint doesn’t offer that all in all we save a few hundred a year.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsSep 04, 2018

Hi James, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Leslie C Daniels
August 28th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

When we spoke with the Vivint rep we discussed a purchase and lease and decided to go with the purchase. The rep told us any time we wanted the panels cleaned just give them a call. A date was set for the install. The employees showed up a few days later and began to install the system. The second day the installer had me sign the paperwork for the installation, later I found out it was for a lease. A few days later I received call from Vivint telling me the rep will be coming my residence to discuss the system. He never showed up. My wife called Vivint recently to have the panels cleaned and she was told "we don't do that". After the install screws and clamps have been falling off my roof and we had one tile fall from the edge of the roof as well.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 28, 2018

Hi Leslie, We're sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account? Thank you for the review.

Karl clarke
August 23rd, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

Company is a joke. Their sales manager MARK S is the real joke. He trains his Salesmen to be sleezy and lie to you. They need to get rid of this guy.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 27, 2018

Karl, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can locate your account to further assists with your concerns.

Dave Gonzalez
August 21st, 2018 Hasbrouck Heights, NJ DETAILS

We have had our solar panels for a while now Sales was very nice and professional Never felt any pressure At the time, we had about 8 homes in my town in Northern NJ with solar panels from Vivint I visited each homeowner, all positive reviews I checked with the town, no complaints filed We signed the contract My 1st PSE&G bill had an overall credit of around $11,( gas, electric and maintenance coverage) But, now I feel like the savings are no where close to what I had hoped for I wish I could just get them removed Just disappointed But, I do not have anything negative to say about the company

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 22, 2018

Hi Dave, we appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Remember, the panels produce more in the longer days of summer and that you pay for the energy the panels produce. As the seasons change towards shorter days, the energy production will decrease and so will the billing. Thank you for going solar with us!

Carolyn Wysong
August 20th, 2018 Oceanside, CA DETAILS

I was not in a great hurry to get solar, so the long lead time was not a problem. My sales rep, Brandi, did a great job telling me upfront about the long lag time. She still answers any questions I have. It was perfect for me: no capital investment on my part and a big reduction in my energy bill. I highly recommend them.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 21, 2018

Thank you for the great review, Carolyn! We love hearing from our happy customers and we are glad Brandi has been taking good care of you. We appreciate your business.

Unhappy Customer
August 17th, 2018 Eugene, OR DETAILS

Misleading sales practices, opaque requirements, unhelpful customer service, stay away. There are plenty of good companies out there, avoid this company.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 21, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at [email protected] with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Ty Christensen
August 16th, 2018 Paso Robles, CA

Hello. When I called for support, I was on hold for over 30 minutes. Then the woman that helped me was aggressive & rude. She hung on me after I consistently kept asking for a supervisor. She refused to answer my general questions or send me to some one that could. There are better companies out there.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 21, 2018

Hi Ty, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience of going solar. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Michael W
August 13th, 2018 Stockton, CA DETAILS

Horrible company. My wife was upset with me for signing up with Vivint Solar after our experience with Vivint Alarm. Bryce J. led me to believe that the system would be monitored by Vivint and I would be notified if system fell more than 5% of expected production. Bryce also said we would receive a $200 credit for each referral, we referred 2 people and never received the credit or check. Called Vivint customer service and was told my wife and I had mistook what he said, The lady said she would have to ask Bryce if he told us that. She told us he said we were lying. I noticed my NEM was high at the end of the third year of solar service, checked the solar meter at the side of my house and found that only 23 of 31 panels were working. After 5 calls to their customer service, we finally got a service technician out. He said he would have to check if the faulty parts were under warranty still, and permission to replace them. After that service call only 18 panels worked. Next service call took 2 trips to get the system fixed. 2 weeks later, 3 panels quit working. Equipment doesn't work properly. Frustrating, they know they have a 20 year contract and you can't break it without paying ridiculous charges, or purchasing the faulty system, Beware of Vivint companies.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 21, 2018

Michael, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

John Shea
August 3rd, 2018 Auburn, MA DETAILS

My experience with Vivint started in July of 2014 when I signed the first part of the contract. They then sent someone out to survey my home to make sure they could install the solar. I signed the final agreement in August of 2014 and asked the salesman Austin K when they would start the install of the panels, he told me with 4 to 6 weeks. After many phone calls and lies to me he called and said they would be there on the day after Thanksgiving 2014. I asked that they hold off as my wife had just passed away a couple of days ago and I needed some time, he informed me that it was the only time that they could do it. They showed up that Saturday morning and started the install, from that point it took them until March of 2015 to finish and activate the system, that being said the first season was fairly good. From that point on they went down hill big time. When I signed on the salesman had told me that I would only pay for the solar that I used and the rest would be sold back to Nat Grid (lie number 1). In the spring of 2016 I received an email from them that I would see and increase in my bill during the summer months as it were good solar making weather and the more solar I made the more I would pay...I asked what happened to the agreement of you would only pay for what you used, they claimed they never said that (lie number 2) This past winter of 2017-and 2018 I paid Nat Grird over $600.00 between Jan, Feb, March and April. I received a phone call from Vivint asking if I had to pay Nat grid anything during the winter months, I told them yes I did and faxed them my bills. I was told that a customer rep would be contacting me to discuss this. (another lie) Customer rep contacted me and said that they wanted to add more panels to my home, re-write my contract to a higher rate, I asked them what kind of scam are you running. For the last month and a half I have had no solar at all as their system has been repeatedly broke down, I have had no luck trying to get them out here to fix their system. I have taken steps to report Vivint to the better business, consumer affairs atty in the State of Ma, and I have spoken to one of the Boston, Ma media outlets to do a story on this fraud. Bottom line is I would not recommend Vivint Solar to put solar on a dog house...John Shea Auburn, Ma

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsAug 07, 2018

John, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Brian Arellano
July 30th, 2018 Stockton, CA DETAILS

I had Vivint Solar panels put on my roof in August of 2017. Today is July 28 2018, and nothing is running yet. I was told by the salesperson that it should be from 4-17 weeks for all paperwork and inspections to be done. Well we are just about 52 weeks in and Vivint Solar is not working. My system should have been on since January 2018, but since it was raining and not much sun out I wasn't really worried. But once the sun started to come out I starting getting a bad feeling so I started calling. So many excuses and they were all directed at PGE. So I asked to speak to supervisor but none available. I was told a supervisor would call me back the next day, that was months ago and I yet to hear from a supervisor. The only way I got there attention was after I started posting reviews like this one on different social media platforms. I posted on the Vivint Solar website, yelp, bbb, consumer affairs, Call Kurtis from the news, solar reviews, Google reviews, and now this one. I have an annual payment due in a couple months and have asked Vivint Solar to help with that since my system hasn't even been up any part of this year. But the rep is giving me the run around. I have emailed the Vivint Solar CEO twice already and can't get help from him either, so to all that are looking into solar, please please please do not even look at Vivint Solar. Save the headache and go elsewhere.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 31, 2018

Hi Brian, we're sorry for the frustrations you've experienced. Your Case Manager will continue to assist in getting this issues resolved.

timothy coyne
July 27th, 2018 Hazlet, NJ

horrible and rude salesmen .district manager cameron catmull pulled permits without my knowledge ! his price was 4k to 5 k more than other service , never gave me a price just said 24to 25 k . also did not listen to me and did lose the sale ! i am sick and disabled from 911 due to being a first responder with nypd ! his behavior was horrible . i told him i wanted to buy the system ....he tried to sell me a leased solar plan when said i wanted to buy system ! buyer beware . the township now has delayed me in getting myna solar system . i cannot get my new system until i have the fees paid for by vivant solar ! delays ! terrible sales tactics

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 31, 2018

Hi Timothy, we're very sorry to hear that you had this experience with us. Please accept our apology and thank you for all the good you've done!

Patti
July 23rd, 2018 El Cajon, CA DETAILS

This company is worthless. You call them for changes on your bill and a new card. But won’t do it. Do to the billing is going out and callback Monday. These people don’t care about your financial needs just there’s. I feel this business is a scam because they always throw in the 20 year contract when I talk to them. There just money hungry

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 24, 2018

Hi Patti, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Thank you for the feedback.

Timothy
July 23rd, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS

WARNING!!!!PLEASE, PLEASE and PLEASE DON’T DO IT!!!! this people will send their agents to lie and talk you into it and promised you that your.15 rate will never go up for 20years contract LIE! LIE!!and LIE!!! What the agent will tell you will be different from the sign contact. Your bills will go up every YEAR. Please learn from my mistakes of trusting people .WARNING. I will give them (1 STAR)

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 24, 2018

Hi Timothy, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Thank you for the feedback.

Maria Arias
July 20th, 2018 Lodi, NJ DETAILS

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.... DON'T DO IT.... STAY AWAY.... Horrible process from beginning to end.... My end is near... started process in 2017 may. Finally in January of 2018 had vivint solar panels turned on 24 hour monitoring (NOT) My system has been down for over 1 month. took almost a week for a repair person to find out whats going on. THEY NEED TO ORDER A DAMAGED PART (NOT IN STOCK), WHICH TAKES 2 TO 3 WEEKS TO ARRIVE. 5 OR 6 CALLS 5-6 VOICEMAILS TO SENIOR REPS SENT 4 EMAILS WAITED ON HOLD FOR ALMOST AN HOUR, WITH NO RETURN CALLS NO HELP

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 23, 2018

Hi Maria, we're sorry to hear you've had this frustrating experience. Please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account. We would like to help resolve your concerns, thank you.

david ip
July 18th, 2018 Schenectady, NY DETAILS

A sales rep came to my door and tricked me into this 20 year contract. First, he said based on my usage with Nationalgrid it would about $110/month. But Vivint installed a over kill system on my roof which I am only using half of what it produces but they bill me $250 a month. I contacted the rep but no response and the company stated he is no longer working for Vivint. What a joke this is? Vivint told me I cant proof what the sales rep told me. Secondly, during the winter, snow and ice slide off the roof above the front door and almost buried my 10 year son. This was complained to Vivint and they suggested to install a "snow guard" at my own expenses which is about $1500. Vivint would not retire any panels as of this writing so I don't have to pay any over production that I don't use. Don't do any business with Vivint.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 19, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, David. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Cecilia castillo
July 18th, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS

Please do now use this company they been turning on my solar panels since 12/17 and we are now on 7/18 and guess what they haven’t turn them on. They have lied to me every time I call them they tell me we r working on hiring a third party for the final inspection... I have started paying on my loan so I’m stuck with paying and solar panels. It working. Us timer service is horrible they say they will call you back and they don’t... I’m looking into hiring a lawyer. Please find your self a good company someone that cares for the customers the manager can’t even talk to you because his a manager and don’t talk to customers. CraG I have never heard anything like that.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 19, 2018

Hi Cecilia, We're sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience. Please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account.

Penny Gonzalez
July 18th, 2018 Santa Paula, CA DETAILS

I wish I could not give any stars at all. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with! Do NOT let Vivant Solar near your roof or even one of their representatives in your house! They are a cheating company, they lie to you about your savings, their equipment fails and expects YOU to advise them. Hello, isn't that the Company's responsibility to monitor your equipment???? Apparently not, that is why they continued to charge my CC monthly on what they thought / guessed would be my usage. Really, I ended up at the end of the year having paid Vivant because they had automatic payment arrangements, and the electric company at the end of the year at a whopping price of $1220 for the time My equipment was not working that I did not know about. Now guess what after 1.5 yrs I need a new roof which I was told Vivant should have never installed their equipment on my roof which was 24 yrs old at the time. I told the company representative, Darin, the roof was older than 20 yrs. Vivant didn't care about how old the roof was, as long as I didn't have a leak, the only thing they cared about was to get their equipment installed and started getting my money instead of me giving it to the electric company. Now with having to have the solar panels removed they are charging over $2000 to remove and reinstall. I wish I could just have them take their faulty equipment away except I'm stuck into a 20 yr contract with them. DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH VIVANT SOLAR,!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 19, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Penny. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Jill Ann Floyd
July 16th, 2018 Marysville, CA

Our experience with Vivint was completely positive. We met with our sales Rep Eric, were approved for a loan, were surveyed and up an running in less than 3 weeks. No damage whatsoever and we just got our first bill. $24 for gas. If there are any issues I contact Eric and he takes care of it. I don't understand why most of these reviews are so negative, but our experience was 100% positive.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 17, 2018

Thank you for the great review, Jill! We love hearing from our happy customers and we appreciate your business.

Karl
July 16th, 2018 Fullerton, CA DETAILS

We were promised by our sales rep that there would be no cost to remove the panels if roof repairs ever became necessary. Due to the poor work of the installers, our roof began leaking 2 months after the installation. When we contacted Vivint, they tried to make us pay $2000 to remove the panels, so we contacted the sales rep. He promised to get the fee waived for us, but then refused to return our calls. We read through the paperwork we were given when we signed the contract and found where it showed a $499 fee for the removal of the panels, but Vivint has refused to honor the rate. We filed a written complaint and have followed the dispute terms listed in our contract, but vivint has refused to respond. They have been holding our roof hostage for 7 months. They are not concerned about the damage their work does to the houses of their customers. They employ dishonest sales tactics and refuse to honor their contacts.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 17, 2018

Hi Karl, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thank you

james ursino
July 18th, 2018 Brentwood, CA DETAILS

stay away. customer service wont return my calls STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 19, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, James. If you had a personal experience with Vivint Solar, we would like to hear more about it. Please send us a private message with more details. Thank you.

Eric
July 11th, 2018 Galesville, MD DETAILS

Vivint Solar is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with as a consumer and allowing them to install solar panels on my home was the biggest mistake I ever made as a property owner. I have never dealt with such an unethical company or such incompetent people. In June 2017, Vivint installed solar panels on my roof causing extensive damage across the entire surface where the panels were installed. They have not taken steps to have this damage repaired in order to stop water infiltration through the roof into my home, which has caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage to my home. They have offered to reimburse me for maybe a tenth of the costs to repair the damage. Holes were drilled into the roof and then left exposed. Shingles were ripped and torn allowing water to seep under and eventually through the roof decking. Flashing improperly installed around brackets. Debris that was strewn across my roof and lawn after the install. Each Vivint crew that showed up had no idea what they were supposed to be doing, let alone how to do it. One Vivint technician had to borrow my tools. It took Vivint six months to remove the panels and now they refuse to pay the cost to repair the damages. When it became apparent to Vivint that they had caused damage to my home, they sent me a settlement agreement offering to pay for a fraction of the total portion of the cost to repair the damage. If I had signed that agreement I would have waived my right to pursue Vivint for any further damage caused by their installation. This is their m.o. If you receive a settlement agreement from Vivint read it carefully and do not sign anything that nullifies your original power purchase agreement. For Vivint vustomers who haven't experienced leaks *yet* just wait. Most of you will at some point and Vivint will do little to nothing to take care of the problems. For some of you, depending on your state of residence, there are legal options outside of arbitration, despite what dishonest Vivint reps may tell you. First of all, contact your homeowners insurance agent, and make complaints to the state Attorney General, against their contractor's license, with the BBB, etc. Post your experience on social media. Contact local media outlets who do stories on companies that take advantage of consumers. Talking to a lawyer is always a good idea, if only for a consultation about your rights and how to recover damages in a legal action. If you are considering getting solar panels, I implore you to stay away from Vivint.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 12, 2018

Eric, We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced during your time with Vivint Solar. Your assigned representatives will be reaching out to you soon to further discuss this situation in greater detail.

T Williams
July 10th, 2018 Riverside, CA DETAILS

We recently bought a house with Vivint already installed. First off Vivint allowed their salesperson to put an 89 yr old woman who was bed ridden into a 20 yr lease. When we called Vivint before the sale the CSR stated that the panels produced about 90% of the energy needed for the home. She refused to answer any questions about the companies dealings with the elderly or give us any info on the contract Vivinthad with the previousowner. Mind you at this time we didn't know this was a lease AND neither did her family (she had passed away) we bought the house from the family and then found out the panels were leased for 20 yrs, as did the family. We called Vivint they refused to take any responsibility for selling to an elderly woman (who come to find out was incapable of making the decision). Sad. We are going fight the lease along with the family. The type of people who would prey on an old lady are the lowest of the low. I'll update the review after we meet with the attorney.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 10, 2018

Hi T Williams, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into this issue. We appreciate your feedback.

Jennifer Xanthos
July 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

We installed solar panels on our home in Alpine, UT in November 2016. The system has been consistently producing what our salesman told us it would produce and our average bill has been $8.96 with Rocky Mountain Power, which is the minimum charge. We have saved thousand of dollars so far! This may be the best investment we have made on our home!!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 10, 2018

Hi Jennifer, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

rose
July 10th, 2018 Antioch, CA DETAILS

I cant tell you how much I hate your billing I feel like getting my doctor to put me on a stress leave just because of your stupid billing. I cant pay the bill because I cant get a paper statement and I cant sign in because you keep telling me my sign in is wrong, then I go to get a new password and your telling me my email is wrong...the only email I have. So if you want a payment send me a bill!!!!! I am going to write to BBB as well. I am a surviving spouse of a 100% disabled American Veteran along with being a senior citizen and your company is the only one that wont work with me. I will write to my congressman. I wish I knew this before I signed up.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJul 10, 2018

Hi Rose, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your billing experience with us. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Dennis Avila
June 28th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

We just got the system activated on June 18th 2018, after a year of processing and paperwork we were very exiting that we could turn on the system and go green and save some bucks on our electricity bill. For our unpleasant surprise we noticed that the system is not even producing the 50% of the energy we are using and this is summer when the system should be producing at least 90% of our usage as we were told by our sales rep Guillermo S. during the various visits he did to our house while we were making the decision if it will work for us or not. He also explained us that according to the usage they could adjust the amount of panels we need either adding more or taking some down. So we went ahead and start the process and patiently waited 14 month until everything was ready to go , in the mean time we even went ahead and repair our roof so everything was optimal. Guillermo was very available for us during the process and answer our questions before June 18th 2018 the day the system was ready to come alive. Since we can monitor the system production online we started to do that from day 1, and that is where we noticed that consistently the system have been producing like 30% of our usage for this summer months when it was supposed to be producing at least 90% according to what we were told. I have been trying to contact Guillermo several times about the issue and had not answer. I did contact Sean and he told me he will pass on the concerns to Guillermo since he does not work with him anymore. Today I was contacted back by Sean and he basically told me that we are stock FOR 20 years with a system that does not fit our needs because Nevada does not allow to add more panels. Why we weren't told that from the beginning? We were lied to so they could get us to sing the contract . We really feel upset and disappointed about what is happening because now our electricity bills are going to be way higher than what they were we NVEnergy , we are not even going to be able to pay the same we were paying before, when we were promised we were going to be at least saving some money. This is sounding like an scam to us. I already sent an email to [email protected], like you recommend to complainers do on this site .

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 29, 2018

Hi Dennis, thank you for sending us information to our online address. We will contact you today!

Elizabeth Churchill
June 28th, 2018 Villas, NJ DETAILS

The sales rep was nice. It took forever to get the approvals. The first year when we compared the bills it seemed like we saved about $5o a month, Ok.... then we were getting calls that they had to fix something. Multiple service appointments. And now there is no savings at all to the bill,

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 29, 2018

Hi Elizabeth, We're sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like us to look further into your account, please send your address to [email protected]

Wendi schmidt
June 26th, 2018 Apple Valley, CA

rofessional and timely. Very satisfied so far. Will recommend to family and friends. Great savings. Jason P. was our sales Rep and was very informative and accommodating. Always wanted to do solar but very skeptical until Vivint came along but feel confident in their product.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 27, 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, Wendi! We’re happy to hear that Jason did a great job. We appreciate your business and referrals.

Tammy Messina
June 26th, 2018 West Newbury, MA DETAILS

Worst company ever, they keep canceling my appointments to fix whatever new problem I have now!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!! I keep getting the run around from the cs department BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE!!!!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 27, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Tammy. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Jon Santos
June 26th, 2018 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

This is a follow up to a review on June 20, 2018 on VIVANT Solar. After writing this review and making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Utah, I was contacted by a VIVANT representative by phone and email. Since then we have been playing phone tag trying to resolve my issue with VIVANT. In the meantime I have discovered through my bank that VIVANT solar has placed two liens on the property without my parents knowledge. So for those who have contracts with VIVANT I would check on this because it may cause problems with loans and other things for your property. I also had a building inspector co e to my parents home to do an inspection for the solar to be put up. After talking with the inspector from the city, I found out the permit was submitted in May after we contacted VIVANT we wanted the solar to be removed. And when the solar was first put up back in 2014 there was no one from the city to come and do a building inspection on my parents home. Also, why didn’t vivnat notify my parents that they needed a building permit to put solar on their roof. VIVANT also sent me an email letting my parents know that if they want out of the contract with VIVANT it would cost them $50,000. So please be careful when dealing with this company because they do things without homeowners knowledge.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 20, 2018

Hi Jon, we apologize for the trouble. We are looking into this and doing our best to resolve your situation. Thank you for your patience.

Jose Gonzalez
June 26th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

My name is Jose Gonzalez from Bakersfield Ca my experience with Vivint was fair until I ran into a pigeon nesting problem underneath the solar panels. The pigeons have made my roof a nightmare there is a lot of noise and bird droppings all over the patio system. I no longer look out my bedroom window because it makes me upset all over again. Simply the problem is the solar panels are to raised giving the birds and nesting place and a place to get out of the direct sunlight. I spoke to customer service a while back and they said they would charge me to fix the problem with there panels, after the failed attempt once to put a surrounding net to keep the birds out. I can sincerely say I wish I would have never opened my front door to the salesmen that are gone to the next town leaving you hanging. I have been very patient with Vivint but it might be time to post the absolute nasty pictures of what my roof has become on social media to save anyone from the issues we have. By the way Incase you are wondering my neighbors have zero Pigeons on there roofs!

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 27, 2018

Hi Jose, we're sorry to hear about your frustrations concerning the pigeons on your roof. As you mentioned, customers can purchase Animal Guards to go around the panels to prevent this from happening. Please follow up with our Customer Service department, 877-404-4129, Option 3. Thank you!

Judy White
June 25th, 2018 Palm Springs, CA DETAILS

I’m in Palm Springs, Ca. And have had a perfect experience with Vivint. Everything went smoothly as promised by our rep, Christine. It did take 3 months from start to finish but we were informed that it could take that long. We did the PPA agreement and were told of the 2.9% increase each year. That’s equal to abou 1/4 Penny. Edison goes up about 10% each year around here. We would recommend Vivint and have recommended Vivint to our friends. We got $250.00 from Christine and Vivint for one neighbors referral. We have to wait for the other 2 to be finished to get our other $500. One thing Vivint did was to upgrade our electric panel to make the Solar work. We were not charged a penny. Another company wanted $2000.00. The other thing I liked about Vivint is that their panels are American made.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 26, 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Judy! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us and we appreciate the referrals! Thank you for choosing us to go solar.

frank o okungbowa
June 25th, 2018 Zephyrhills, FL

I have had Vivint for about a year. When i signed up for it, i told them i will be replacing my roof the follow year. i wanted to wait before buying the solar system. I asked how much it would cost to take the panels off if i needed to redo the roof. I was told $500 to $1000, then i decided to buy. Now that i want to change the roof they are telling me $2000 to remove and install. I made a big mistake dealing with Vivint, Wish i could just take the solar off , it costing me more than i will ever save! Don;t let the salesmen sweet talk you because the words are not trusted.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 26, 2018

Hi Frank, we appreciate you as a customer and for taking the time to give this review. We're sorry that you have had a frustrating experience with going solar. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], if you would like us to follow up with you.

Aaron Guerra
June 20th, 2018 Visalia, CA DETAILS

I can’t give negative starts! So A sales rep came to my house, they explained how California was having a hard time keeping up with energy demand and that they can install solar panels in my home 100% free of charge, and I would never have to pay thing. Basically help California produce more energy to keep up with the demand . The rep told me I would never have to pay a thing, but that they needed my account, and routing number information just to have it on file . Explain to me that I would receive a regular bill, and still pay for the energy that I would be using on a discounted rate so I would be paying a little less on energy while helping California produce more energy still only paying the energy that I would be using now Out of no where I get charged over $160 and the company is telling me that I have to pay for all of the energy that is being produced . Why did anyone ever explain this to me! I get charged more money that I can afford to pay; my energy bill was never that high to begin with . The way they explained it to me is basically we’re going to borrow your roof put solar panels on it, and it wil produce more energy for California, and you pay your energy bill at a discounted rate . I feel like I’m part of a scam because now they’re just taking my money that I’m having a hard enough time making, while just barely taking care of all of my financial responsibilities, and all the medical problems , and illnesses that my daughter has. I cannot afford this. I’ve made several attempts to contact management department and explain how everything transpired in this situation that I find myself in . Every single phone call that I’ve had so far has basically just reminded me that I’m on a 20 your contract, and there is literally nothing that they’re doing for me they won’t transfer me to a supervisor they will not transfer me to any management, VIviant Solar is pushing me around , and not giving me any direct answers. Im very disappointed in these business practices. People are being lied to, and taken advantage of. Every month I call, and try to speak to someone. All they do is intimate the customer and remain them about the 20 year Contract that they lied about. I never received nor did I have the opportunity to review a copy of this contract until the day I called to complained. They said they would email me one. This is absolutely ridiculous. I told them the rep had written down some stuff while explaining all this, they told me to send them that information, I did via email. Now they won’t even get in Contact with me, but still send me notifications of how my bill is due again! I’m contacting BBB! For all people out there, don’t allow yourself to get scammed.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 20, 2018

Aaron, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We have created a case for you and will have a specialist reach out to you before the end of the week. The specialist will work with you and discuss your account while working to remedy the situation in a timely manner.

Marina E Georgiev
June 18th, 2018 Sun City, AZ

I purchased the property on May 10th with the already solar panels however the system wasn't connected to APS until June 4th however Vivint wants to charge from the beginning. They should prorated the bill as I wasn't able to used it the system. So far I didn't received a print statement from them, they gave me the amount over the phone and I insisting on a writing statement. Today I am sending a complaint to the Attorneys General as reading all the complaints, they should stop them to do any more business in Arizona.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 08, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Marina. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into this situation you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Bernie Julio
June 18th, 2018 San Diego, CA

From Sales rep. Doug, Roof Inspector Chris and Installer Abraham so far have been very professional and informative. Definitely will recommend Vivint Solar to my neighbors, friends and family

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 20, 2018

Hi Bernie, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Doug, Chris, and Abraham took great care of you!

Paul Yu
June 15th, 2018 Livingston, NJ DETAILS

The Solar System was installed in 10/2017, but still have not turned on. Constant issues with its paperwork, engineering department, interconnect department. I am notified that it will be an indefinite wait. I payed over $20K + up front in 6/2017. It has been a year and I got nothing. I contract a 6.44 kw system, but they only installed 5.33 kw. Then I caught the mistake, they added more panels. However, the blueprint / engineering design / permits were all messed up due to its own mistakes. I am in the unnecessary holding pattern now. Called Customer service and relationship department. They offer me $200 to compensate the lost. I must be a joke or something! Ready for class action against Vivint if they keep the same pattern of irresponsible behaviors.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 15, 2018

Hi Paul, we are so sorry to hear that you have had this frustrating experience. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Celeste Thompson
June 14th, 2018 Rio Rancho, NM

My experience with Vivint Solar was very positive. The company representative I worked with was Gerro P. He made certain that I understood each aspect of the process by clearly explaining what to expect and clarifying the ways solar will be a benefit to me as a homeowner along with how it will benefit the environment. He kept me well informed and always got back to me promptly when I did have a question.

Vivint Solar - Online ReviewsJun 15, 2018

Hi Celeste, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Gerro took great care of you!