Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

verified
$100 Guarantee

verified
$100 Guarantee
Vivint Solar offers multiple financing and moving options

Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

Call our recommended rep over at Vivint Solar below.

3.1

Sdoop27
January 18th, 2019 North Dartmouth, MA DETAILS

Thiago stopped by my house early 2018 offering solar, the bills were pretty high with Eversource so I decided to move forward. It’s been a great experience so far. Thiago took care of everything for me, updating me periodically on the process. I’ve had my system turned on for almost a year and saving a good amount. Even recommended Thiago to a good friend who now has solar as well.

Jan 18, 2019

Thank you for leaving us your feedback! We’re happy to hear that Thiago did a great job. We appreciate your business.

Arlene Crowley
January 17th, 2019 Enfield, CT

I am very disappointed with Vivint Solar. I have called the company numerous times with questions that I never get a straight answer to. I was promised a lower rate with Vivint than what my electric company has, but it has not been lowered at all. It is not fair that I have to pay more than my electric company has. And I am not saving money like I was told I would. I have more than 30 panels..and my bill is higher now than it was before solar. So I will not recommend this solar company to anyone.

Jan 17, 2019

Hi Arlene. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account? Thank you.

MS GWATHNEY
January 11th, 2019 Bellport, NY

Agreed to solar placement in August 2018 . They were installed in September 2018 and still are not hooked up. After many calls and loss wages waiting for call backs, broken promises and out right lies; I'm still waiting. As a senior citizen I really feel scammed. They even told me that the Governor 's office was a part of the initiative. They also said that there was a monetary incentive and to date nothing. What's the recourse??? Help!!!

Jan 14, 2019

Hello Ms. Gwathney. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look further into your concerns if you can email us your address at [email protected] Thank you.

January 11th, 2019 Winter Haven, FL

Vivint Solar is a well structured company with longevity. When shopping for solar system you won’t find too many companies that have been around as long as Vivint has. We were recommended to them by a friend who had a solar panel system installed in their house. We received a call from the sales manager he came to our house super professional and explained everything to us and was able to answer all of our questions. We decided to honor there quote and have the system installed. The install team came very professional and did an excellent job installing the panels. We recommend Vivint Solar.

Jan 14, 2019

Hi, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the sales and installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Leor GABBAI
December 31st, 2018 Oceanside, NY DETAILS

This is by far the biggest scam I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. The tactics of this company are the equivalent of old fashioned bait and switch. My husband and I were approached by a door to door Vivint salesman who managed to convince us to schedule an appointment to hear more about the company. At the time of the appointment, he showed up with one of his supervisors and the two of them successfully convinced us that signing up with the company was a no brainier : we would be getting our electricity for significantly less money and helping the environment to boot. At first, as we were going thru the initial enrollment process we were contacted by customer service representatives almost daily to check in on us, or remind us that they are available any time to answer all your questions. The sales rep we met with left us his cell phone number and was in constant contact. All this ended as soon as we completed our enrollment -- suddenly we were faced with dead silence. We were told it would take about 4 weeks to obtain the necessary permits and proceed with the installation. Well, over two months went by and we didn't hear a word from anyone -- no updates or explanations at all. Finally we were able to get thru to someone who gave us a vague excuse about delayed permits and was essentially dodging the issue. A few months later the panels were installed and we received a "permission to operate" notice. When we signed our contract with Vivint we were told we would pay $152 a month, which would automatically be deducted from my bank account. Well, three weeks after we began operating the solar panels, Vivint deducted over $160 dollars from my bank account. In addition we received a full bill from PSEG for electricity as well. When we called Vivint we kept getting the run around. It was always the same story-- we would speak to someone who would look into our file, tell us we were correct and that the amount they deducted was a mistake, but that they needed to escalate this to a supervisor who would get back to us in 5 to 7 days. This was literally the script we received each of the 5 to 6 times we called . And of course , we never heard back from anyone. I posted a negative review of Vivint on another website and within a day got an email and phone call from a supervisor who promised me (in writing ) that the issue would be resolved within 4 days. Well, it's now over 2 weeks and not a word from her or anyone. My husband also called again and asked to speak with a supervisor who promised him resolution by the end of that week and once again never bothered calling or emailing back or taking care of this error. I have taken matter into my own hands and have filed an official complaint with the BBB. Dealing with this company has been a nightmare..the more I've read about other customers' experience the more I realize that this is how they operate as everyone seems to have a similar story to mine. They sucker you in, overcharge despite promising you that you would be saving money, then pull a disappearing act. I warn everyone out there to steer clear of this company.

Jan 02, 2019

Hi Leor, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

David Foley
December 31st, 2018 Methuen, MA DETAILS

We have had vivint solar panels for a few years now. We have had no issues with the company or our rep. Enos H is very professional and forth coming with all information in the process. He has followed up with us to make sure we are happy. He helped us when we first went solar as well as when we just added more panels recently. Vivint also checks in to make sure we are satisfied. We recommend Enos and vivint to everyone. We have never had an issue with our roof from the panels.

Jan 02, 2019

Thank you for leaving your feedback, David! We’re happy to hear that Enos did a great job and took good care of you. Thank you for doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Marlena
December 13th, 2018 Oceanside, NY DETAILS

Like every other review written on here, I was scammed by Vivint as well. The sales rep lied to our faces saying that our electric bill would be $10 a month to PSEG. 3 months later we are now paying PSEG the full amount as well as our lease payment to Vivint. Supervisors will not help in any way and I am considering taking legal action. Seeing all these other reviews, I wish I had read them before I got conned by this horrible company. Vivint is a complete scam and the entire company should be shut down. I don't understand how they get away with lying to people over and over and are allowed to do so.

Dec 14, 2018

Hi Marlena, we apologize for the trouble. We want to look into this and do our best to resolve this problem. Please send an email with your address to [email protected] Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Greg Mosho
December 12th, 2018 Farmingdale, NJ DETAILS

I had solar panels installed by this company - and within a year and a half they leaked horribly! What this company did was an absolute crime...... my roof was 19 years old - and they NEVER should have put up solar panels on a 19 year old roof........ and SECOND - part of my roof is at a very low pitch - and this is where they leaked - not one panel - ALL of the panels!!! The water damage in my house was horrible! I will give the company this - they stepped up and paid me $5,000....... BUT - I ended up replacing my whole roof - for $12,000 - and years earlier too. Thats another thing they don't tell you of course - solar panels will reduce the life of your roof too! Absolutely DO NOT GO WITH THEM !!!!!

Dec 12, 2018

Greg, we apologize for the situation you have experienced. We have assigned a specialist to your account who will be reaching out to you to resolve your concerns. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Starvin Arvin
December 11th, 2018 Lafayette, CO DETAILS

I am so disappointed in this company. I was very excited when the solar panels were installed on my roof 3 months ago. Since then - nothing. I can't get anyone who seems to know what is going on with getting inspections scheduled, getting documents signed, getting the power company to come and hook up the panels. Nothing. I waste lots of time calling their customer support, who are nice but don't have any answers and don't know when anything will happen. I can't get anyone who can answer my questions about when my system will be operational. Even better, I just made the first payment on the loan I took out to pay for the solar panels, and they are not producing any power yet!!

Dec 12, 2018

Hi Starvin, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account?

Steve
December 11th, 2018 Phillipsburg, NJ DETAILS

I'd like to know why every month my billing statement is dated around the 5th of the month and it takes roughly 5 days or more for an email to travel to my house with the bill? That only leaves me less then 10 days to get the bill, write the check and for the check to travel to the west coast by the 20th of the month. Every other business gives me almost three weeks. I think it's time for me to file a complaint with the BBB... I've called the customer service Dept and got nothing but Blah Blah Blah

Dec 12, 2018

Hi Steve, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account? Thank you.

Edward M
December 5th, 2018 Hyannis, MA DETAILS

I started the process with Vivint over the summer. It took about 3-4 months start to finish. My sales manager Thiago was awesome. He explained how the system worked and stayed in contact throughout the entire process. Vivint even covered tree removal for some trees in my back yard. Highly recommend

Dec 10, 2018

Hi Edward. We're glad Thiago took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Chris
November 29th, 2018 Woburn, MA

Had my panels installed a year ago . Still not turned on. There customer service is a complete joke . They totally lie to you . Ask them there name and they will not give you there last name , gee I wonder why. It’s a shame to , the install process was so smooth . The crew did a really good job and was curtious and clean. Main problem is customer service or COMPLETE LACK OF! 20 Year lease with a company like this was not a good idea. Definitely find yourself another company . Oh forgot to mention the referral fee of 200$ I never received . I gave my salesman 3 customers so I should have 600$ , right ? Ya I got 0$ just excuses .

Nov 30, 2018

Hi Chris, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

B.
November 20th, 2018 Gaithersburg, MD DETAILS

Improper install of system led to fire in my electrical panel. Over 2 months later. No repairs, countless hours on hold with customer service. All I received after fire is a bill for $43,000 to "buy out" system.

Nov 21, 2018

Hi . We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

Richard Dunn
November 16th, 2018 Bensalem, PA DETAILS

Destroyed electronic equipment because of improper installation. Destroyed roof by drilling holes to find studs.

Nov 18, 2018

Hi Richard, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

ABO
November 8th, 2018 Laurel, MD DETAILS

Unfortunately NO stars is not an option. ANyone considering this company,do not choose them. THey are rogues!!!!!!! They will be nice and pretend to be nice while you are signing the contract andbefore the install. It will be a completely different story after. They will MANDATE directly debiting your account without you having any idea how much they will deduct. IFyou do not agree, they will NOT GIVE YOU access to your bills and yet send threatening debt collections to you each time. FOr almost a year, they have blocked online access and refused to send any bills. Instead they willclaim they cannot mail any bills and they also cannot email any bills. you will only have ONLINE access if you allow them to automatically deducting any amount from your account each month. BEWARE and choose another solar provider or keep with your current BGE OR Pepco.

Nov 12, 2018

Hi, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

James
November 2nd, 2018 Springfield, VA

Only had the sales guy come to our door. Me and a neighbor played with him a bit just because he is sales. I actually was the nicer of us two. But the sales guy tried to tell us that the way it works is they take the average of my elec bill today and that will be what i pay from now on to Dominion and any power put back into the grid will allow me to get paid by Dominion. Therefore i only really pay my whole bill about 6 months out of the year while i have the AC on ant the other months i pay my average but also get a check back of about $30 plus per month. He also said they do not charge anything to install or for the materials. All of this is because the government (sometimes state and sometimes federal) requires Dominion to be 15% renewable and this is how they want to do it. All expenses paid by Dominion. My neighbor friend has a unique way of irritating sales people so before they got into it physically (neighbor is 75 at least) the sales guy said he was not going to stay any longer. And that's the interaction.

Nov 05, 2018

Hi James. Thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to us.

Dianne and Tom Nash
October 26th, 2018 Kearny, NJ

Please stay clear of this company. I cannot even give it 1 star! So A Big 0 it is. 6 years of extremely inadequate customer service to say the least. Sure we saved some money, but the lies, the no show, the leaks on our roof are not worth it by any stretch. From year 1 we've had numerous visits to rectify problems. Only one was resolved. If you call them with a problem they may never call back. We are seniors that are being taken advantage of. We believe our only resource is hiring a lawyer to help us.

Oct 28, 2018

Hi Dianne and Tom, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

jeffrey king
October 25th, 2018 Rio Rancho, NM DETAILS

We signed with Vivant. At first our electricity bill was less than average, which was good for us. However after 5 months after install, a total of $640 was debited on our checking account with absolutely no notice from the company. When we talked to customer service, they said it was back pay for the usage we had. This was in addition to the payments for electricity we had already made. After some discussion, it was determined that the error was due to an overcharge. And to make things worse, there was no avenue to return the $640. It would be used as a credit to our account. This is a downright robbery in my opinion. And when a company takes a large amount out of your checking account with no notice, it makes life very difficult to replace the missing funds. Very very unhappy with this way this company does business. I am sure it has happened to others. If i could give it zero stars I would.

Oct 28, 2018

Hi Jeffrey, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account? Thank you.

Jmooo
October 18th, 2018 North Dartmouth, MA DETAILS

It was great working with Thiago and Vivint. The install looks great and the production so far has been good. Total process took around 3-4 months start to finish. I got turned on in July and still had a couple $40-$50 bills from a Eversource. In retrospect I wish I added a couple more panels to completely eliminate the bill might end up adding in the future.

Oct 22, 2018

We're glad Thiago took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

herby
October 17th, 2018 Brockton, MA DETAILS

the install was great,lately I had been saving some money. to be honest with you I extremely satisfied with giving specially a great thanks to Mr J my sale representative.

Oct 22, 2018

Hi Herby, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Roxy G
October 12th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Actually the customer representative tricked us into signing with them. First they asked me to sign just to authorize them to make an assessment of the roof to see if we qualified, not knowing that it was and actual contract agreement (I found that out months later). Then I got an alert that my credit was being checked by Vivint with no authorization. The sales representative had an excuse or was very good at making you believe something else. Then I got a call that they were ready to come out to install the solar and I said, I'm still not sure if I'm going to sign with you. The phone representative proceeded to tell, that's weird I have a form signed by you. I then contact the sales rep that was over my house and he stated that it was a misunderstanding. Then he kept on showing up at my house and insisted on how great Vivint is and how much money I was going to save and all the great ratings they have. March was when I first met him and I finally decided in July that I was kinda interested. He set up the installation and I was a little surprised because he had not brought me a contract for me or my husband to sign. Then I had some issue. I was getting messages attention to a different person that was no me or my husband so I contacted customer service to find out why they didn't have my name correctly. While talking to the rep she told me about my contract and that the person's name was on that contract with my name. I asked her what contract? I still have not signed anything. So I proceeded to ask her to mail me a hard copy and she also send it to me via email. When I received the contract, it was dated for March 30th, with my name and not my husband's name (forged signature). If you compare the sales rep signature and the forged signature you see the similarities in the handwriting. Somehow he got my husband's name wrong. I did not agree until July and my contract had March. I contacted the sales rep and told him how I figured out what he did and I contacted a supervisor and sent all the text messages going back and forth on how I thought that he done something without my knowlegde going back to March and how I did not agree to install and how he tricked me and forged the signature. The supposedly supervisor said that he would look into it and that he would have someone contact me right away and pretty much he ignored it even with all the proof I had and the contract does not lie. So yes, make sure you don't sign anything in advance or if you do don't sign it on the iPad they carry because you do not know what else they are filling out for you. The BBB needs to know what's going on with this company. And you don't save anything because my the end of the 20 years you will be paying more than double of what you start with. Each year it increases and even though like it doesn't look like a lot, it really is as the years go by. Like my husband said, when they say it's free, it's really not and it will cost you a lot more in the long run. SDG&E need to get their act together or Solar needs to actually be free or a set price.

Oct 16, 2018

Hi Roxy. We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Masieeg
October 12th, 2018 Providence, RI DETAILS

Super happy with my system. Signed up through Thiago B who has worked with a lot of people in my neighborhood. Sign up to system turn on took 3 Months. Only gripe is that National Grid didn't allow one more panel I wanted to even out the panels over my garage.

Oct 16, 2018

We're glad Thiago took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

John Shea
October 8th, 2018 Auburn, MA DETAILS

My saga with Vivint Solar continues, and things have not gotten any better. Their system has been down since the month of June and maybe even longer with no production during an entire summer. After repeated calls to their more than rude customer service staff and being put on the never ending hold, they have yet to come out and fix their system, but yet I keep getting bills from them that they call a service charge for a system that is not working. I have asked more than once that they come out and remove their system off of my property, but they inform me that I am under contract and that can not be done. I have reminded them that they are under contract as well to provide me with solar and service...that when they put me on hold and no one ever comes back to answer the phone again. I am in the process of seeking legal advice on how to cancel Vivint Solar. As other reviews have stated I can't understand how these people are still in business John F Shea Auburn, Ma 01501

Aug 07, 2018

John, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Phyllis Christine Runyon
September 28th, 2018 Stockton, CA DETAILS

I have had Vivint Solar for the past 7 months. After receiving by first billing statement I became very alarmed and knew something wasn’t right. I contacted Vivint Solar, my first attempt was to my sales person (Clint W) with no response. I then placed one of many calls to their corporate office to get to the bottom of my extremely high billing. I have spent hours on the phone over the past several months trying to find a resolution to this matter with no support, concern or follow through from Vivint Solar. Meanwhile the crazy high bills just keep coming. After doing a lot of research and spending over an hour on the phone with a PG&E Solar Support employee I found the issue. I was informed that the permit that was sent to PG&E by Vivint Solar stated that my kWh usage was 13,000 when in fact it was only 9,700. Vivint Solar then provide me with 39 panels to support 16,000 kWh. Being that Vivint charges you based on how much energy that is being generated by your panels not by the amount of energy you are using, 16,000 kWh is way over producing for the size of my home and my kWh needs. I have been over billed and talked in circles for the past 7 months. Not to mention that installation process took over 8 month and was extremely unprofessional and frustrating. My sales person also promised me $250.00 for a referral I made that was never paid. I am now considering this to be a fraud situation and will be seeking legal representation. Thank you, Phyllis "Tena" Runyon

Oct 01, 2018

Phyllis, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can locate your account to further assists with your concerns.

John
September 25th, 2018

Vivint addressed my concerns in such a way that my needs have been satisfied.

Oct 01, 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback, John. We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Chris Rinaldi
September 24th, 2018 Secaucus, NJ DETAILS

I, like many other people on this message board, was told by my sales representative that the panels could be removed, stored, and put back up for $500 if I remodeled my house. I told my salesperson I would be remodeling the house in the very near future and I was told this was no problem at all. When I called to have them taken down I was told it would cost $1,800. When I explained that I had agreed to a $500 price I was told I would get a call back in a week with a resolution. I did not get a call back and for almost two months now I have been calling them and been lied to over and over again. They say they have not been able to contact my salesperson (what kind of company can't contact their own sales person? ). My complaints have been elevated to "Team Leaders" (I guess these are the senior liars in their customer service), to "Corporate" (don't think it really exists because I can't speak with "Corporate" and they don't call me), and been offered the chance to speak with "Human Resources" which I was then told is just an answering machine that would not be responded to. After I asked to be transferred to the "Human Resources Answering Machine" the "Team Leader" refused. So what was the point of telling me about "Human Resources" if I cannot speak with them or are you trying to hide that you are not doing your job? The savings on my electric bill are laughable after their fees so I can't find a single reason anyone should do business with this company. Nearly two months later the panels are still on my roof holding up construction and costing me money. There is nothing they won't say to get your money. Please don't be suckered in by this scam of a company.

Oct 01, 2018

Hi Chris, We're sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account? Thank you for the review.

Jeffrey M Mees
September 24th, 2018 San Bernardino, CA

We had a Vivint Solar Sales Rep walking door to door on a Thursday 9/20/18 in the city San Bernardino, Calif. He was very informative on today's costs of home electric energy consumption and of methods to reduce those costs. He told my wife and I that he could get us more information by Saturday and he would present different Solar packages to see what we would best fit our budget. He asked to see an electric bill and asked my wife sign an IPAD to allow him to see the Electric bill information online. Later that night I went online just to check Vivint Solar out and found many recent 2018 complaints of different reasons. I did not feel comfortable with continuing with getting anymore information from Vivent so I called the Rep on next morning Friday 11am and told him that we decided to not go further with getting any more information, Thank you. On Saturday we found out from our Karma account that Vivint ran a Hard Line Credit report on us. Not at anytime did he say he was going to run a Credit Report on us and neither did we even talk about or approve. I find this method both Illegal and Unethical in any type of interaction from Company to Consumer. Jeff from San Bernardino, Ca.

Oct 01, 2018

Hi Jeffrey, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into this? Thank you for the review.

Christine Weston
September 20th, 2018 Thousand Oaks, CA

Brannon M from Vivint Solar was such a pleasure to work with. He came to us and followed up each step in the process. We have been wanting to go solar for many years but thought we didn't have the money or the time to make it happen. Vivint made it easy and with no cost to us. We just get to reap the benefits of lower energy rates for years to come.

Sep 24, 2018

Hi Christine, We're glad Brannon M. took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Gennie Hilliard
September 19th, 2018 Alpine, CA DETAILS

My husband and I received a knock on the door from Gentry R representing Vivint Solar Developer in 2013. He talked about the solar company and explained to us that we would be paying for the power produced by the solar panels and could remove them at any time as long as we paid a $500 fee to remove them. We asked Mr. R several times about the removing the panels if we moved or decided to purchase through a different company and he assured us it was a simple $500 process. My husband and I have attempted many times to contact a supervisor to discuss the removal. Every time we call we are put on hold or given an excuse as to why we cannot speak to a supervisor. My husband has contacted the Vivint customer service via email and they were dismissive and unhelpful. We have contacted several other customers of Vivint and they were told that they could remove the panels at any time for a $500 fee. We have written complaints to Better Business Bureau, the CA Attorney General, FTC complaintassistant.gov, and the complaint department with consumerfinance.gov. We have looked into other complaints on the internet. We are baffled as to how this company is still in business with the amount of complaints against them. In fact, there are many lawsuits against Vivint regarding deception, defrauding customers and engaging in unfair business practices. The New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas recently filed a lawsuit against Vivint for unfair trade practices. Vivint has also had to pay ADT $10 million in a lawsuit settlement over deceptive sales in Boca Raton, Florida. The list goes on and on with this business. There has also been an article written by Daniel S from The Hill titled Americans were duped by bad actors in rooftop solar industry. When we signed the contract, it appeared to be one page. We did not notice until later that a lot of fine print is written after our signatures. We were never shown the back side of the contract and we were made to believe the contract was one page. We have tried contacting Vivint to pay the $500 removal fee but are constantly given the run around. We have also noticed the panels are not producing what Vivint explained. We have spoken to an SDG&E representative and he told us the solar panels did not produce enough in 2017, hence our high electricity bill. We would like to resolve this issue with Vivint and have the solar panels removed as they promised through their representative, Gentry R. We have no problem paying the $500 removal fee that Mr. R promised. Please take a moment to look into this company by googling lawsuits against Vivint and complaints against Vivint. I feel that you would agree with the unfair practices.

Sep 24, 2018

Hi Gennie, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to [email protected], so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Peter Pelland
September 17th, 2018 Haydenville, MA DETAILS

We are in our third year of a 20-year PPA with Vivint Solar. When I first got on board with Vivint, I dismissed the poor ratings as being written by customers who did not fully understand what they were getting into. You are not going to be getting free electricity; however, you will have lower electric costs after paying what will now be two utility bills each month. I understand that by leasing our roof space to Vivint, we enjoy many of the financial advantages of solar without incurring the costs of installation and maintenance. (Yes, they get the tax incentives and credits, and they sell us the power that is generated on our roofs.) As time goes on, I have learned that our biggest problem with Vivint Solar is that word “maintenance”. When our system was installed, I insisted that we be provided with the same system monitoring software interface from SolarEdge that is used by Vivint technicians. Most Vivint customers are NOT given access to this important system information, instead being provided with fairly useless “feel good” information about equivalent environmental benefits and whether or not the system was producing power. In my instance, I know when one of our panels or anything else in our system is malfunctioning. Whenever I see a problem with our system, I need to take the initiative of calling Vivint to schedule a service appointment. They quite obviously do not monitor customer systems or care enough to be proactive about scheduling necessary service appointments. Each time I have called to schedule service, we then wait ... and wait ... and wait. Currently, it has been over 3 weeks since I called because we are experiencing yet another instance of a power optimizer shutdown on one of our panels (something that seems to be a recurring defect on these Jinko panels.) I suspect that this post might bring Vivint to life. I should not have to be the one to make Vivint aware of problems like this. That should be their responsibility. And, when I do contact them, there is no excuse for the horribly slow response. In another instance, Vivint took it upon itself to cancel a service call (without notifying me, of course) because they determined that the problem had somehow fixed itself (apparently because a panel that had been generating no electricity had started generated 2 or 3% of what it should have been producing.) Earlier in the year, the system’s inverter broke down, leaving us with a system that generated zero power for nearly two months. When technicians arrive, it becomes clear that some know what they are doing, while others are simply young guys who need a job and are willing to climb up on roofs. They do not seem to be in touch with the fact that most people who install solar electric panels are fairly environmentally conscious. During our last service call (another instance of a power optimizer shutdown), we had TWO Vivint Solar vans idling in our yard, wasting fuel, for two hours ... presumably to keep their air conditioning running. The bottom line is that, when our system was first installed, I was a true evangelist for Vivint Solar, recommending it to several friends. After three years of experience working with Vivint, I would not recommend the company to my worst enemy. I am glad that I did not pay for the investment in our solar system, because it is clear to me in hindsight that this equipment is anything but maintenance-free; however, it is that same maintenance that is Vivint’s single greatest failure, at least in our instance. Vivint Solar puts far too much emphasis on sales (and no doubt collecting their incentives), with far too little emphasis on service. During the installation process, most of the delays are blamed upon the local utility and permitting authorities; however, once the system has been installed, the blame for service delays falls squarely upon Vivint Solar. Even when I have been provided with contact information and told to “call me if you have another problem”, those calls go unheeded. The company is either over-committed, under-resourced, or simply does not care.

Sep 24, 2018

Hi Peter, We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced during your Service appointments. If there is anything unresolved that you still need assistance with, please let us know by sending your address to [email protected]

James U
September 4th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

We lease are solar panels can’t get Vivint Solar app to work several emails no response. Didn’t even know I could check the panels to see if there working by the panel tell I read reviews. I’ve had good luck. Only complaint is no one told me about the utility true up bill. PG&E charges me 650.00 a year for having solar. Yes the bill is for electricity transfer and storage fees. I purchase electricity 18 cents per kilowatt and sell excess to PG&E foe 1/2 a cent a Killowatt. There are solar companies who allow you to store excess electricity and use it during the night. App access. Very nice vivint doesn’t offer that all in all we save a few hundred a year.

Sep 04, 2018

Hi James, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Leslie C Daniels
August 28th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

When we spoke with the Vivint rep we discussed a purchase and lease and decided to go with the purchase. The rep told us any time we wanted the panels cleaned just give them a call. A date was set for the install. The employees showed up a few days later and began to install the system. The second day the installer had me sign the paperwork for the installation, later I found out it was for a lease. A few days later I received call from Vivint telling me the rep will be coming my residence to discuss the system. He never showed up. My wife called Vivint recently to have the panels cleaned and she was told "we don't do that". After the install screws and clamps have been falling off my roof and we had one tile fall from the edge of the roof as well.

Aug 28, 2018

Hi Leslie, We're sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience. Can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account? Thank you for the review.

Karl clarke
August 23rd, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

Company is a joke. Their sales manager MARK S is the real joke. He trains his Salesmen to be sleezy and lie to you. They need to get rid of this guy.

Aug 27, 2018

Karl, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we can locate your account to further assists with your concerns.

Dave Gonzalez
August 21st, 2018 Hasbrouck Heights, NJ DETAILS

We have had our solar panels for a while now Sales was very nice and professional Never felt any pressure At the time, we had about 8 homes in my town in Northern NJ with solar panels from Vivint I visited each homeowner, all positive reviews I checked with the town, no complaints filed We signed the contract My 1st PSE&G bill had an overall credit of around $11,( gas, electric and maintenance coverage) But, now I feel like the savings are no where close to what I had hoped for I wish I could just get them removed Just disappointed But, I do not have anything negative to say about the company

Aug 22, 2018

Hi Dave, we appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Remember, the panels produce more in the longer days of summer and that you pay for the energy the panels produce. As the seasons change towards shorter days, the energy production will decrease and so will the billing. Thank you for going solar with us!

Carolyn Wysong
August 20th, 2018 Oceanside, CA DETAILS

I was not in a great hurry to get solar, so the long lead time was not a problem. My sales rep, Brandi, did a great job telling me upfront about the long lag time. She still answers any questions I have. It was perfect for me: no capital investment on my part and a big reduction in my energy bill. I highly recommend them.

Aug 21, 2018

Thank you for the great review, Carolyn! We love hearing from our happy customers and we are glad Brandi has been taking good care of you. We appreciate your business.

Unhappy Customer
August 17th, 2018 Eugene, OR DETAILS

Misleading sales practices, opaque requirements, unhelpful customer service, stay away. There are plenty of good companies out there, avoid this company.

Aug 21, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at [email protected] with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Ty Christensen
August 16th, 2018 Paso Robles, CA

Hello. When I called for support, I was on hold for over 30 minutes. Then the woman that helped me was aggressive & rude. She hung on me after I consistently kept asking for a supervisor. She refused to answer my general questions or send me to some one that could. There are better companies out there.

Aug 21, 2018

Hi Ty, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience of going solar. Please send your address or account number to [email protected], so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Michael W
August 13th, 2018 Stockton, CA DETAILS

Horrible company. My wife was upset with me for signing up with Vivint Solar after our experience with Vivint Alarm. Bryce J. led me to believe that the system would be monitored by Vivint and I would be notified if system fell more than 5% of expected production. Bryce also said we would receive a $200 credit for each referral, we referred 2 people and never received the credit or check. Called Vivint customer service and was told my wife and I had mistook what he said, The lady said she would have to ask Bryce if he told us that. She told us he said we were lying. I noticed my NEM was high at the end of the third year of solar service, checked the solar meter at the side of my house and found that only 23 of 31 panels were working. After 5 calls to their customer service, we finally got a service technician out. He said he would have to check if the faulty parts were under warranty still, and permission to replace them. After that service call only 18 panels worked. Next service call took 2 trips to get the system fixed. 2 weeks later, 3 panels quit working. Equipment doesn't work properly. Frustrating, they know they have a 20 year contract and you can't break it without paying ridiculous charges, or purchasing the faulty system, Beware of Vivint companies.

Aug 21, 2018

Michael, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to [email protected] so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Brian Arellano
July 30th, 2018 Stockton, CA DETAILS

I had Vivint Solar panels put on my roof in August of 2017. Today is July 28 2018, and nothing is running yet. I was told by the salesperson that it should be from 4-17 weeks for all paperwork and inspections to be done. Well we are just about 52 weeks in and Vivint Solar is not working. My system should have been on since January 2018, but since it was raining and not much sun out I wasn't really worried. But once the sun started to come out I starting getting a bad feeling so I started calling. So many excuses and they were all directed at PGE. So I asked to speak to supervisor but none available. I was told a supervisor would call me back the next day, that was months ago and I yet to hear from a supervisor. The only way I got there attention was after I started posting reviews like this one on different social media platforms. I posted on the Vivint Solar website, yelp, bbb, consumer affairs, Call Kurtis from the news, solar reviews, Google reviews, and now this one. I have an annual payment due in a couple months and have asked Vivint Solar to help with that since my system hasn't even been up any part of this year. But the rep is giving me the run around. I have emailed the Vivint Solar CEO twice already and can't get help from him either, so to all that are looking into solar, please please please do not even look at Vivint Solar. Save the headache and go elsewhere.

Jul 31, 2018

Hi Brian, we're sorry for the frustrations you've experienced. Your Case Manager will continue to assist in getting this issues resolved.

timothy coyne
July 27th, 2018 Hazlet, NJ

horrible and rude salesmen .district manager cameron catmull pulled permits without my knowledge ! his price was 4k to 5 k more than other service , never gave me a price just said 24to 25 k . also did not listen to me and did lose the sale ! i am sick and disabled from 911 due to being a first responder with nypd ! his behavior was horrible . i told him i wanted to buy the system ....he tried to sell me a leased solar plan when said i wanted to buy system ! buyer beware . the township now has delayed me in getting myna solar system . i cannot get my new system until i have the fees paid for by vivant solar ! delays ! terrible sales tactics

Jul 31, 2018

Hi Timothy, we're very sorry to hear that you had this experience with us. Please accept our apology and thank you for all the good you've done!