Sunrun

verified
Sunrun Logo

Sunrun

verified
Sunrun has helped over 180,000 customers save more than $100 million on their electricity bills with solar!

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out.

After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points.

The renewable energy company, which is based in San Francisco, California, has installed over 1460 megawatts of solar power and helped tens of thousands of consumers in 17 states and Washington D.C. to lower their electricity bills.

Sunrun is the pioneer of the solar-as-a-service model and continues to drive innovation of solar generation, storage, and energy services and technologies. The rooftop solar provider's mission is to create a planet run by the sun.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • Customized Solar Systems
  • Simple Solar Process
  • 20-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels
  • Customer Care Team
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

In order to fit the needs of almost any customer, Sunrun offers several financing options, including solar leases, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), prepayments, outright purchases, and loans.

Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost.

The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments.

Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

Customized Solar Systems

Sunrun understands that every customer's home, lifestyle, and savings goal is unique.

As a result, the company customizes every system it installs to the customer's needs using its own design technology called BrightPath. With just a few pieces of information and a satellite image of the rooftop, BrightPath can quickly create a custom solar system that will maximize energy production.

Simple Solar Process

Sunrun strives to make switching to clean energy as simple and hassle-free as possible for its customers. The rooftop solar provider helps save time by taking care of everything from scheduling to permitting and allowing people to follow their installation progress through the mySunrun mobile app. The design and installation process is as follows:

• Step 1: Sunrun's experienced technicians will visit, measure, and evaluate the home; ensure that a solar system is the right fit; and design a customized solar plan.
  • Step 2: Sunrun's design experts will review and make any adjustments to the custom evaluation.
  • Step 3: Sunrun submits the design plans to the local city government for permitting.
  • Step 4: After the permit is granted, Sunrun's installers will come out to the home, go over the custom design with the customer, receive approval, and get to work.
  • Step 5: Once the system has been installed, the city or county will perform the final inspection.
  • Step 6: Sunrun will submit documents to the utility company and "Permission to Operate" will be granted.

20-Year Maintenance

If customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased and a 20-year warranty on systems that are leased. Each solar customer's Sunrun contract also includes a roof warranty, which protects the roof from leaks or holes.

Additionally, Sunrun provides its solar customers with 24/7 system monitoring for no additional fee. The company's Monitoring Team oversees all all Sunrun systems and keeps an eye on production levels. If something happens or if performance dips, Sunrun will contact you as soon as possible to get things fixed.

Customer Care Team

Sunrun provides a US-based customer care team that is ready to answer questions and help resolve any issues that may arise.

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout.

Additionally, Brightbox helps customers save money by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes a detailed FAQ section, a helpful guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand how to move forward with Sunrun and start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 1460 megawatts of solar energy.

As a result, Sunrun has offset 1.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 180,000 customers to reduce their electricity bills and take advantage of net metering.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of blog posts and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Click here.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach.

While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Click here. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

Call our recommended rep over at Sunrun below.

3.5

Ger Harrison
December 7th, 2016 Lexington, SC

We had a great experience with Sunrun. The whole team was very professional and we are thrilled with the results. Our electric bill has been cut more than half our usual usage. We would recommend Sunrun to everyone.

John Thau
December 6th, 2016

We have been with Sun Run since 2011. They are right on. Schedule, performance and monitoring. The only issue was turn on with the Grid which was more of a So Cal Edison issue. They clean based on performance monitoring. Just a real professional company.

John Mascio Jr
December 4th, 2016

Talking about Sunrun Solar. We meet with the reps. from that company. The system sounded real good . So we had it installed. Everything went fine with that end of the deal. We had a lot of calls from Sunrun while this end of the deal was going on. After the hook up that seems to be the end of all the calls from them. The system was suppose to take a day to install . it took four days. Haven't heard from them since. We have tried to contact the reps. that had contacted us though the whole setup approx. for 2 weeks now. We had question about the billing. Needless to say as of now we haven't heard a word from any of them . Seems like once they had there system installed, that was the end of it. They didn't care about you anymore .At least they could have the decency to return our calls. though out the installation they promised us a gift card for 350.00 dollars for the mix up in billing. Never got that. Made three or four calls to Ellen and the same to JC, leaving voice messages with both. Seems like they moved out from the face of the earth . If you are not able to contact your company. maybe they are not worth having. John PS Still has nothing been done. after all the promises

Brett Stacy
November 23rd, 2016 Victorville, CA

Outstanding experience from the initial sales visit to turning on the system. No sales pressure, outstanding service. What a wonderful company to do business with.

scott cockburn
November 21st, 2016

MY CONTRACT WAS SIGNED 9/26/16. SYSTEM WAS INSTALLED THE FIRST WEEK IN OCTOBER. AS OF 11/22/16 I AM STILL WAITING TO BE CONNECTED TO THE GRID. MEANWHILE I AM STILL PAYING MY REGULAR SDG&E. BILL

Jason Chastain
November 14th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Hands down top tier company all the way!!! Excellent service, very professional, great price!!! I could not be happier!!!! Thanks Sunrun!!!

Andrew
November 11th, 2016 Victorville, CA

VERY expensive. John P tried to sell me a system for almost 32k or a PPA at 15 cents a kw and goes up 2.9% every year. I think SCE is at 14 cents kw currently. Great savings there! Told me that all companies offering solar were charging top dollar now because of demand. Lots of other info to scare me into buying this overpriced product. I ended up buying from Sungevity which I believed the salesman to be upfront and honest as well as saving me 10k compared to Sunrun's crazy pricing. A PPA with Sungevity if I went that route was at 9 cents kw. I ended up buying with a 10 year loan and paying less than Sunrun a month for a 20 year loan. Why is Sunrun #1 since they obviously try to rip off their perspective customers.

Nancy Porter
November 11th, 2016 Dunstable, MA

The salesman (Mark C) was top dog in helping with everything. He answered every question/ concern many times over and over. Customer service was there to help with every need we had even the dumb questions. I would recommend them even before seeing all the results. They were very professional with the installation and clean-up and showing us all the panels and boxes, then explaining how to turn it on when the inspections were completed.

Peter A Hogg
November 11th, 2016

Our roof leaked from installation over a year ago and was fix by a Helio Power tech and not a roofer. Several weeks ago it leaked again so told them they need to get a roofer which they said they'd do and that's been weeks ago and still promising. Would I use them again.... Big No! as they also really under paneled us with our usage.

Dunnachie
November 11th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

We have solar for several months and it has not worked correctly. They send service personnel who Have no idea how to fix it. When you call and complain you speak with a sarcastic employee who knows Nothing. Each month they bill us but the unit is off at the present time. We cannot get a qualified service person To work on the install. We are very disappointed and will not pay another bill until the unit is Fixed. We have tried the nice approach which does not work. Now we are withholding their payment. Let's see if that works.

Jansen Demesmin
November 11th, 2016 Summit, NJ

we could not have make a better decision. we would recommend your company to everyone we know.Good work.

Barry Alan
November 11th, 2016 Epsom, NH

Our 2 ground arrays are already over producing almost 2 to 1. The installation, service and overall dealings with SunRun have been nothing short of an excellent experience! Leasing, not owning was a no brainer!

Alexander Millar
November 11th, 2016 Poughkeepsie, NY

The sales person was fantastic. Knowledgeable about solar energy and products. He had a strong engineering background and provided no pressure, as the product speaks for itself. Installation went without surprises Customer service followed up is monitoring the system....

Betty Tilley
November 9th, 2016

I am delighted with my Sunrun solar panels. The entire experience has been totally positive, from a knowledgable and informative sales rep, Laura N, to my coordinator, Crystal, the installation team, New Team and the follow up from customer service to make sure that everything was working as well as assuring me that I would get prompt service if I have any future questions or issues. Now, I am anxious to see my power bill after a full month of solar panels working hard to save me $$.

Thomas McElhattan
November 9th, 2016 Springfield, MA

This company has high expectation for their work, Scheduling, and neatness in what they do in all aspect from the sales person to the end. I ask question they were answer or I will give you the answer in a few days. I ask for a hoody with their name on it was mailed within three days to me at the house. I am proud to advertise the company that is going green for future generation.

Travis Green
November 9th, 2016

I have sun run solar panels on my roof. It has been a great experience and I would recommend them to anyone, in fact I have. Many of my neighbors also went with sun run and are loving there low power bill, sun run is great!

Stacy Polinsky
November 5th, 2016

We have had our solar for only 9 months and the system continues to stop working. We get a fault error. It takes weeks for someone to even come check out our system. Maybe because we are not leasing, we are buying the system. The inverter was already replaced once and now the system is saying we have 49 panels, however we have 50. This company is ridiculous and is selling an inferior product. We went through Costco, hoping for a superior product.

Philippe Colin
November 5th, 2016

A great choice over all. The best in the industry. From customer service to performance. Always there to answer your questions. They save you money and time. Now, I got to enjoy the rewards program that pays my electric bill. Thank you Sunrun.

William Strassner
October 31st, 2016

From start to completion, we were fully informed on a regular basis, all schedules were met - with cooperation - installation done properly and on time. Just great. Most competitive of the four we discussed the project with. Fully 16% better than another well known company !

Bob Sutherlin
October 30th, 2016

Don't be fooled. Made appt. week in advance, get call saying the technician had to change the date (to the date I had already told them wouldn't work for me), I had to cancel. Made 2nd appt. for 8am, guy never called or showed up. Why doesn't anyone believe in customer service anymore.

Shanno
October 29th, 2016 San Jose, CA

I have SunRun solar and when the Sales person first came to my door, I told them I did not want solar at this time because my roof needs to be replaced. The sales person told me it was no big deal, they just come out, remove them and after the roof is installed, they re-install them. They portrayed this as no big deal. I am now replacing my roof and it turns out it IS a big deal. The roof costs $9,800 to replace it for labor and materials. I have 22 panels on only 1 side of my roof. It costs $4,918 to remove/re-install the panels. That is MORE than HALF the costs of a new roof. I would have waited to have the solar installed AFTER I had the new roof installed had I not been mislead by SunRun. When I called Sun Run customer service, all they did was quote Section 9 of their Contract. No accountability for misleading me so that I got the sale and I installed then vs waiting til after the roof. They only have ONE PARTNER that does the removal and install and they aren't even local. The partner even put charges for TRAVEL time in their estimate. I am very concerned that Sun Run mislead me on the cost of removal/re-install to make a sale. I am very concerned that Sun Run doesn't have local partners and they charge extra since they are not local. I am VERY un-satisfied. Their entire sales pitch was about SAVING me money. With the added cost of removal/install .. I am in the hole. I have NO cost savings. They also recently came around and tried to get me to install solar on the other side of my roof. Again pitching the savings of the solar. If I had solar on both side of my roof, I would be paying around $10K for the removal/install and another $10K for the roof .. making a new roof cost $20K vs. $10K due to the solar.

Juan Navarrete
October 27th, 2016

Great service on Oahu. Went the Prepaid lease route and from $350/month to less than $20/month. Had to move off island after about 2 years, sold the house very quickly (less than a week) due to the great solar installation. Transfer to new owners was impossibly easy. Looking to build a new home and will definitely be contacting SUNRUN again! One inverter failed, SUNRUN immediately replaced it and refunded the cost of the grid's electricity during the short wait.

Matt Pereira
October 23rd, 2016

Been a customer for a year they are great system is over performing . The installers are great.

Haidy Behman
October 21st, 2016

I have tried several times to contact them. They respond 50% of the time. Tell you they will call back but never do.

Douglas Hart
October 21st, 2016 Brooklyn, NY

I am a new customer -- Great Experience ---- Great Advice Excellent --- Right down to the installers --- Pure professionals

Robbin Kuznetzkoff
October 20th, 2016

Horrible experience! Do not call this company unless you are interested in paying more money for an inferior product and virtually no customer service. After being misdirected by the sales rep into a product that was not the correct one for me, I could find no one who would assist me in straightening out what has become a financial nightmare. Finally went with another company and have never been happier!

David Rudd
October 19th, 2016

Worst experience ever and sun run could care less. They don't respond to complaints or concerns. They have the worst subs anywhere that just want to hack your house up and haul ass . Quantity not quallity. 7 month nightmare til pto granted and not even an apology

Glenn Kelly
October 19th, 2016 Phoenix, AZ

High $/kWh, less efficient/effective panels, multiple inverters.

Jennifer Reinhardt
October 17th, 2016 Ventura, CA

Sunrun was great until our inverter went out 3 years later. It has been a nightmare. This started 9/20/16 with a phone call from Sunrun telling me there was a problem with the solar system. Four phone calls later a tech finally comes out and looks at the code and says the inverter is bad. I gave the Sunrun rep. the code my 1st phone call to them. Tech said inverter would arrive within 3 days and it should be installed in two weeks. Today is 2 weeks. Called Sunrun again and gal told me to call ABB who makes the inverter. Gave me phone number and reference number (this should be Sunruns job, not mine). Called ABB and parts are back ordered for inverter until end of Nov. I will be without my solar system working for 2 months. NEVER, NEVER would I refer Sunrun to ANYONE.

David Kokka
October 5th, 2016 Fresno, CA

I am the owner of a 7 year Sunrun PPA solar agreement. When I signed up, they made many promises and were good about them until this year. Now, they are saying that the panel washing I was getting annually to this point was not in writing and only done as a courtesy- Bull****! Company's word means nothing. MAKE SURE TO GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THEM!!!!!!!

Lois Vanderkooi
October 5th, 2016 Broomfield, CO

Sunrun has been a great company to work with as everyone explains things, answers questions, and communicates clearly and directly. Their use of e-mail is also very effective in guiding the process. Moreover, their pricing is very reasonable and we are happy to be contributing to cleaner air!

Tony
October 2nd, 2016 New City, NY

We interviewed 4 companies before we chose SUNrun. They were flexible and let us choose the more efficient panels, they also had 3 payment choices for us; to own outright or to lease over time. The math worked out and we're able to save about 40% off our monthly bill. Installation was quick, professional and efficient. Overall, I'd recommend them for any residential installation.

Weyand
October 1st, 2016 Irvine, CA

I am Paying 25 cents per kilowatt on their leasing program which is much higher than other companies.

Mateo Wolfe
September 30th, 2016 Oceano, CA

Sun Run is the best service to get. It wasn't crazy expensive like many other brands. Great service and they were installed FAST.

Robert Knight
September 22nd, 2016 Yucca Valley, CA

Right now I am not a happy camper with SunRun. First, I feel I made the sad mistake of leasing. My mistake, I didn't truly understand solar. I just wanted to reduce my electric bill and was under the assumption by going solar I wouldn't have a bill that I would be getting paid for putting electricity on the grid. Wrong mistake on my part. Our grid is with Southern California Edison who I end up paying at the end of the year almost $900.00 for taxes, and fees they still charge. Plus the payments I make to SunRun monthly. I was with the understanding I would be producing more electricity than I would require. I was also with the understanding SunRun, since I am leasing, would maintain my system. Well the inverter that was installed is no longer working. I have been without solar now since the 22nd of June 2016 and it's now 19 August 2016. SunRun outsourced the repair to another company, Helio Power, and I am told there is a backlog of inverters which need to be required. I will purchase the solar system which has been installed and am actively searching for another company to install more panels, and who can deliver on their promises.

Vincent
September 22nd, 2016

Sun Run was outstanding. Great service and installation. Thanks.

Greg Bentall
September 22nd, 2016 Cloverdale, CA

I have had Sunrun solar for a year now. The company is totally outstanding. I own my own system outright and have no monthly fees or finance charges. There is a twenty-year warranty that is transferable if I sell my house. My electic bills went from $240 per month to $40 per month. My return on investment is 25% per year. There is no where else I can get that kind of return on my money. I would recommkend Sunrun to anyone. It is a great way to save money while also saving the planet.

Frank Lamarque
September 21st, 2016 Highland, CA

From the initial presentation to the installation to the start up everything has been excellent ! I also liked the $15.00 monthly discount for going on auto pay.

Mike in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
September 17th, 2016 Minneapolis, MN

Solar panels worked fine. Installation was good and we were saving on our total energy bill...until we had to move with my job and then the experience turned ugly, very ugly. The transfer of service is not as easy as Sunrun claims, especially with a corporate, 3rd party buy-out involved. The 3rd party would not entertain a transfer of service and required for the system to be wholly paid for. So, the few hundred $$ a month in savings turned into thousands of $$$ in loss when the system had to be immediately paid "off". If that wasn't bad enough, Sunrun's contract says the value of the system will be determined by an independent appraiser - not true. The appraiser is done by them or someone they hire and they refused to show that appraisal. They claim, via email only, that the value of the system was greater than what was contained in the contract. Pure BS and shady business practice. Unless you can pay for your system up front, I would stay away.

Sean Kennedy
August 26th, 2016 Duluth, GA

When I went to the website they said Pennsylvania was supported, however, when I spoke with an agent, was told that only a few select customers were eligible in PA. Agent would not tell me what qualified as a select customer other than that I had to be a Comcast subscriber. This is misleading advertising and they should be more transparent about what states they service and support.

dan baker
August 26th, 2016 Naalehu, HI

pay about a $100 per.month.more than with HELco here in Hawaii..it was o.k.at the start,as your family moves away your bill stays the same but your using less..now HELco is a better deal..i was told at the start i would pd.26cent per kw.that is t true..there was more than just the bill that was not right...also i had an analysis done and was told that an adjustment could be made..what a joke that was...i was talked into having solar for my small house that is not used all the time and it would be 28 cent per kw.. not true...when they talk to you...have it all in writing......

Ronald Crasto
August 20th, 2016 Phoenix, AZ

We installed a Sunrun solar panel system about 3 months ago. They installed per promise & the system has been running great for the past 3 months. Overall savings so far on the electric bill around $600 so far.

BRYAN MOOSE
August 16th, 2016 Columbia, SC

I just got my first Sun Run bill, and my electricity bill went from last months high of $320 (usually around $230, this time of year) to only $97. I could not be happier or more pleasantly surprised. Installation went super smooth, on all accounts, and things came together in mere weeks.

Bob Kirby
August 9th, 2016 Stoughton, MA

The whole Sunrun team was incredible. Excellent customer service. Would highly recommend them to anyone.

Sheri Frost
August 9th, 2016 CA

The Sunrun team is amazing. We had a great experience from start to install. Unlike other companies that send one guy to install, they sent a team and got it all done in 2 days as they said. They've been very professional and obviously prioritize customer service. It's nice to be appreciated for using a product that pays me back!

Bal Raj Rai
August 9th, 2016 New York, NY

It is a great opportunity to go Sunrun Solar bcuz we can save some dollars out of our Overpayment being paid to Eversource every month. I paid $150-$250 each month to Eversource. Now I got a bill of $101 for about 2 months. That's why I request every homeowner To go Solar! Please don't delay, save money and have clean energy as well. Thanks

Paul Joyce
August 6th, 2016

Best in NJ at a quality installation and backing that up with a professional service team.

William C. Mullen
July 19th, 2016 Ronkonkoma, NY

I have not received a bill, to date. I chose SUNRUN, after seeing one, of the company cars, during my travels. My installation went smoothly. I feel not enough time has passed, for giving ones objective opinion. I have no idea how, to rate, at this point. Perhaps, at a later date, I could be more succinct.

Jeff Sanders
July 19th, 2016 Merced, CA

Very well-trained and effective staff in all areas... Sales, planning, installation, permitting,and startup were done without a hitch and within the promised times. We haven't needed service, so I can't comment on that.

lisa
July 18th, 2016 Hopewell Junction, NY

All we have been getting is the brush off. Every time we call we are told to be patient, meanwhile my system hasn't been working for 45 days - during summer months. They know they have hit the contract production and don't care. I am filing with BBB and anywhere else I can share - SUNRUN is horrible.