Sunrun

verified
Sunrun Logo

Sunrun

verified
Sunrun has helped over 180,000 customers save more than $100 million on their electricity bills with solar!

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out.

After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points.

The renewable energy company, which is based in San Francisco, California, has installed over 1460 megawatts of solar power and helped tens of thousands of consumers in 17 states and Washington D.C. to lower their electricity bills.

Sunrun is the pioneer of the solar-as-a-service model and continues to drive innovation of solar generation, storage, and energy services and technologies. The rooftop solar provider's mission is to create a planet run by the sun.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • Customized Solar Systems
  • Simple Solar Process
  • 20-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels
  • Customer Care Team
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

In order to fit the needs of almost any customer, Sunrun offers several financing options, including solar leases, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), prepayments, outright purchases, and loans.

Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost.

The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments.

Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

Customized Solar Systems

Sunrun understands that every customer's home, lifestyle, and savings goal is unique.

As a result, the company customizes every system it installs to the customer's needs using its own design technology called BrightPath. With just a few pieces of information and a satellite image of the rooftop, BrightPath can quickly create a custom solar system that will maximize energy production.

Simple Solar Process

Sunrun strives to make switching to clean energy as simple and hassle-free as possible for its customers. The rooftop solar provider helps save time by taking care of everything from scheduling to permitting and allowing people to follow their installation progress through the mySunrun mobile app. The design and installation process is as follows:

• Step 1: Sunrun's experienced technicians will visit, measure, and evaluate the home; ensure that a solar system is the right fit; and design a customized solar plan.
  • Step 2: Sunrun's design experts will review and make any adjustments to the custom evaluation.
  • Step 3: Sunrun submits the design plans to the local city government for permitting.
  • Step 4: After the permit is granted, Sunrun's installers will come out to the home, go over the custom design with the customer, receive approval, and get to work.
  • Step 5: Once the system has been installed, the city or county will perform the final inspection.
  • Step 6: Sunrun will submit documents to the utility company and "Permission to Operate" will be granted.

20-Year Maintenance

If customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased and a 20-year warranty on systems that are leased. Each solar customer's Sunrun contract also includes a roof warranty, which protects the roof from leaks or holes.

Additionally, Sunrun provides its solar customers with 24/7 system monitoring for no additional fee. The company's Monitoring Team oversees all all Sunrun systems and keeps an eye on production levels. If something happens or if performance dips, Sunrun will contact you as soon as possible to get things fixed.

Customer Care Team

Sunrun provides a US-based customer care team that is ready to answer questions and help resolve any issues that may arise.

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout.

Additionally, Brightbox helps customers save money by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes a detailed FAQ section, a helpful guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand how to move forward with Sunrun and start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 1460 megawatts of solar energy.

As a result, Sunrun has offset 1.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 180,000 customers to reduce their electricity bills and take advantage of net metering.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of blog posts and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Click here.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach.

While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Click here. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

Call our recommended rep over at Sunrun below.

3.5

GButcher
July 18th, 2016 Kilauea, HI

Our system stopped registering in March. It is now mid-July and it is still not fixed because in 4 months Sunrun has not managed to get a repair technician to our property. They are all very polite when I have called and each time they say they will get right on it. They have even told me they were escalating us to an urgent status. However, after a dozen calls they have called me ZERO times to update me or schedule an appointment. My next complaints are to the Better Business Bureau and the state utility commission. Stay away from Sunrun if you can.

Joyce Muirhead
July 18th, 2016 Simi Valley, CA

Our a solar system was installed by Sunrun in Sept 2014 purchased through Costco.. The installation of 21 panels took a day and a half, even though the temperature was well over 100 degrees. There was a large crew of at least ten men installing the panels and electricians setting up the electrical. We took advantage of the 30% tax credit. We produce almost all of our energy now. Our electric bill is approximatelyt $10.00 per month for use of the power grid and any unused energy is banked for a period of 12 months. We couldn't be happier with our system and the service we received. We would highly recommend Sunrun to anyone.

Annette Brinkley
July 11th, 2016 Fresno, CA

Horrible customer service. Once your system is installed they're done. They don't stand by their work and will not address problems with systems that aren't properly working.

Luis ruiz
July 8th, 2016 Boardman, OR

Very professional, excellent installation and perfect product

Joan Ball
July 7th, 2016 Alameda, CA

I have had Sunrun for 6 years. The question initially are you Electricity costs more than$150. I am in a very sunny area and my last bill was over $216 and I have added no more users. Then I get a settlement bill for the previous year for generally an additional $1000+. I was contacted by Sunrun about at the end of May and they were considering adding additional panels for an extra $50 per month. The layout I did not like but was prepared to possibly accept it, I have asked several times what the added panels would save me in electricity cost each month. I was told by Falynn McFarland last week that she would call me back 5-7-16. She said she is the project integrator! I have made calls every day and left Falynn McFarland my home # and times when I will be at home. I have not a phone call or email. Several people have asked me recently who proved my solar system and what is Sunrun like to deal with. I just told them the truth.

Pat Dempsey
July 7th, 2016 Pismo Beach, CA

SunRun was very professional from the sales process through the permits, installation, and activation. Incredible communications. Installation was done in one day. They predicted 2 days, but worked a little late to get it done. Everything went by the numbers. All SunRun people I encountered were excellent.

Terry Collette Sr
June 30th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

Very disappointed with"customer service" After 4 e-mails they are not responding about a service problem at my house. I get enough of their emails that referring my friends, I know they have internet sevice. Terry Sr

Venkat Subramanian
June 27th, 2016 Silver Spring, MD

Was all set with Sunrun. Did my homework and research for over 6 months. This was my project for summer. Mar 16, had the 'home visit' session. Disaster, to say the least. The gentleman appeared very knowledgeable but positively rude, absolutely 100% negative attitude, arrogant. If he believes he is intelligent, I will give it to him but he thinks customer is an idiot. Suppose to send me additional material and quote and of course don't have it till date..

F. Behanna
June 23rd, 2016 Trumbull, CT

I'm a Connecticut customer & have had nothing but a positive experience with SunRun. Any delays I had were not Sunruns. It was waiting for local inspections. My area of Connecticut had a New York team install. They were professional and did a great job. Explained each step as they installed. It took a full day but I then had to wait for local inspections before I was activated. Very happy with SunRun from the sales team to install. I checked out 3 companies before going with them. They had A+ rating with BBB.

Ron Lambert
June 17th, 2016 New Bedford, MA

I have been with SunRun for approx 4yrs and never had a problem. There was a smooth transition from introduction to the turning on the panels no complaints. I believe any problems start with the rep and the install team. Consistent product across the area served.

Wyn Sears
June 16th, 2016 Arroyo Grande, CA

Getting Solar from Sun Run was by far the dumbest thing I have ever done in my 73 years. They saw a sucker gave me a contract even attorneys have a hard time understanding and took me for a ride. When I got solar for my house they quoted me some $30,000 which I couldn't afford. So they talked me into a sorta lease which at the time seemed reasonable about 108.00 per month. But after the first year I got a bill from PG&E for about $1,400 thats when I found out the bad news this was going to be for the rest of my life!!!!! The thing they no call true-up this year it was $1,800. Then I got a bill from Sun Run also a true up bill. I called the salesman and he said that they weren't supposed to charge me a true up bill so I didn't get the Sun Run True up bill for several years. I called customer service to complain about all these true up bills and they answered me in a couple of weeks after my call with another true up bill. Mind you The subject of true up bills were never brought up by the salesman in the beginning. I thought I had to pay a fixed rent on the equipment . Anyway my advice to anyone getting solar go to a more honest company where they tell you all the facts. If you have to pay a true up bill you might as well not even buy solar.

Dave Garcia
June 15th, 2016 San Marcos, CA

Been three months since it was installed and still not working! As weeks go by always an excuse why they can't finalize permit. Beware also that a lien can be put against your property. We had disasters for the poles to mount the panels on the ground and now have received a lien notice from the concrete company!

Roy Rene Salvador Ramirez
June 15th, 2016 Palmdale, CA

I have three systems on three properties. On each, the inverter failed (Same make & model, Aurora). On each replacement instance, it took over two months to get the replacement inverter. Meanwhile, no electrical production. It takes too long to get reparations made. To give credit where due: For the initial installations, the service was #1; fantastic!! The bills afterwards were low!! :)

Alex Boost
June 9th, 2016 Costa Mesa, CA

Not only was Sunrun the most professional and on-top-of-it solar company I got a bid from, they also provided the easiest construction experience I have ever seen. We just hit the end of our first year of having solar and the system produced 10% more than the estimates! We are so happy with solar and just wish we would have done it sooner,

Jacqui McLeish
June 8th, 2016 Columbia, SC

It was a no-brainer to go solar but when you have great customer service, and the courteous and expeditious installation crew what more can I ask for. Let me tell you I received my first utility bill since flipping my switch for solar and I received a credit on my bill.. Now that put a smile on my face Way to go Sunrun

Billy Mayer
June 8th, 2016 Englewood, CO

I was considering purchasing or leasing a system through another company, but after listening to one of the representatives from Sunrun that was canvassing in my area I decided to go with the PPA program that they were offering. The system has been installed for three months and I couldn't be happier. I am producing more electricity than what I was originally quoted and the customer service has been extraordinary. I highly recommend them Sunrun.

Mr Clyde Waite
June 6th, 2016 Pepperell, MA

After reviewing and even choosing another service I turned to Sunrun for one last review. Melissa Oliva was the reason I chose to go with Sunrun. She called and stayed in contact at every point, returning calls at odd times and reading my mind at others. I would not have become a customer with out her guidance. Th rest of the team was stellar. Mike, Corey and Kyle thank you! For views of the application https://www.facebook.com/Averillhousevineyard/

Cutis Bush
June 6th, 2016 Gadsden, AL

I had been looking into getting a solar system install on my home for a year and a half. I had talk to several solar company and I just didn't have a good feeling with them from their salesman to their products, service, and guarantee / warranty and no communication from their customer service at all. But when I talk to Sunrun about their programs, product and the great customer service that I received was above and beyond what I expected. Sunrun kept me informed every step of the way during the whole process of my installation and they took care of everything all the way up to the system being turned on. It was always easy to make contact with them if you needed help in understanding something. The work they did for my install was outstanding. Great company to do business with. My son have had solar install on his home from Sunrun also.

Anne Novak
June 6th, 2016 Brockton, MA

We had a very positive experience with Sunrun. The first dealing was with a very informative representative . He took care of us every step of the way. Melissa was the project director and made sure we were kept up to date from the first inspection right up through the installation, startup and still checks in on us. We received our first month bill from National Grid $0.00. We even got a $38.00 credit with a week of rain. Very happy with Sunrun.

Bertram Wong
May 31st, 2016 Kailua Kona, HI

They do not do what theysay . They say thing and do something else cant trust them

Sharon Lainey
May 28th, 2016 North Dartmouth, MA

Totally satisfied with my solar experience so far...such professionalism. From my sales rep chris romano, to my electrical foreman,Paul...on the install. Tremendous service.can't wait to "power forward" in a couple of weeks! !! SO EXCITED!!

Drake Freeman
May 28th, 2016 Las Vegas, Nevada

Love love love the Sunrun folks, best thing we ever did, even with the ''new rates'' imposed by Warren Buffett and his cast of clowns we havn't sent NVEnergy a dime since last Aug 2015. Wish them much luck in returning to the Las Vegas Nevada market in the future. Love talking to people about my solar and sharing my bills.

Ashley auger
May 25th, 2016 Hartford, CT

Sunrun is awesome and has helped save me money!

Clayton Hitchcock
May 25th, 2016 Boise, ID

Happy with our solar energy. Sun run is great to work with and very professional !

Gregory J. DiLalo Sr
May 23rd, 2016 East Brunswick, NJ

The decision to go with a Sunrun power purchase plan turned out far better than I expected. We received a $0 utility bill for the first full month since the permit to operate and had a huge power credit to apply in the power hungry summer months. On a bright sunny day we currently produce three times the power we consume. On a cloudy day, our system still produces about what we use that day on average. The whole installation went extremely smoothly and even our utility has been highly cooperative. This was truly a "no brainer" decision that everyone who has unshaded roof exposure should consider. We have a 45 panel 12 kW system, which is on the large side and would have been very costly to purchase outright. The zero cost power purchase plan made the most sense for us.

Darwinn B. (Dutch) Rutz
May 23rd, 2016 Greeley, CO

The company and their representatives have been straight and very professional all the way down the line. I have had it for about three months now, no glitches, I recommend it.

Shane Kirksey
May 23rd, 2016 Crownsville, MD

the guys are very professional! Sunrun made the process of going solar very painless. I absolutely recommend Sunrun☀️

DR JAMES ADAMS
May 18th, 2016 Menifee, CA

Fraud in sales, false advertising, failures of president of company to respond. Cheating and bait and switch tactics, greedy, grand theft auto, elder abuse, etc. etc.

Erik Donough
May 17th, 2016 Ridgewood, NJ

We've been thrilled with our Sunrun (then REC Solar) system from the very start. The initial conversations were pleasant, the installation was painless, and the system has performed to expectations from the moment the switch was flipped. An added bonus is that NJ SRECS were $115 a piece when we signed the papers and are now close to $300. Don't hesitate to look into working with this company.

Gordon Jackson
May 12th, 2016 Newark, NJ

The amount of customer service is incredible. Constant email updates of the entire process from start to finish along with visits and phone calls from the friendly sales staff.

Sharon kent
May 5th, 2016 Trenton, NJ

I highly recommend Sunrun Solar. The people were great and constantly followed up-from the sales person to the project manger to the installers. Their product looks great. They are the only solar people that agreed to do the installation. I contacted 3 other companies and they turned me down due to trees. When i spoke to the sales person, he investigated and they offered me a 70% savings on my PSEG bill. They have more than delivered. My Electric was $2.43 which is going to allow me to live in my house after retirement!! They take care of and monitor the performance of their panels 100% which I love. I gave a 9 because they keep all the rebates. Considering what I have in return it's worth it!

Frank Wayne Owens
May 5th, 2016 Spartanburg, SC

From meeting the Sunrun Rep. at Home Depot , through the installation and now that we have received our first full months Duke Power bill ( $8.71) we are very pleased. To have such a savings on our bill and to know that we are helping solve a little of the global warming problems makes us proud and very pleased with our decision to go solar.

Greg Nage
May 5th, 2016 Sewell, NJ

Everything was great from beginning to end. Install crew showed up an hour early to accommodate my schedule. Had running a month now and no problems. Great company to do business with.

Heidi and Rita Thompson
May 5th, 2016 Cathedral City, CA

the worst customer service ,liars, runaround, for over a year! We were promised by our salesmen ....our bill would be $219.00 a month and from SCE no more than $5.00 a month in non summer months,and in the Summer months never EVER have they seen a bill from SEC charge anyone over $60.00 a month...so my bill from SEC for the last year is $1,300.OO!!!!!!!! I have called,emailed called,emailed,Facebook,social media with promises of getting to the bottom of this sendin everything they wanted of my bills from SEC wait wait wait wait ,call again oh sorry can you send them in again!!! OMG so SCE came to my home to shut me off.......There are so many unhappy customers with promises of you sunrun to fix things...... i was told that SCE is now charging more for something and sunrun did not tell me or in my contract charging for something new sorry thats on your end to pay not me ...shame on your sunrun for not going to bat and helping your customers and giving us all the runaround shame shame on you . I'm going to call action news to do a story on your salesmen and what they say just to sell people a contract Again, you are requesting me to send the copies of my statements from SCE, i haveHAD to pay for a 3rd time because some assclown is misplacing them prob in the trash. mad as h***,get it together CEO !!!! Now saying ,well maybe we need more panels ,really?? who do you have working for you

Mike
April 15th, 2016 Gilbert, AZ

1220 kwh produced in the first month, March 13th to April 12th, almost eliminated my whole electric bill

Laurie Geiger
April 13th, 2016 Tempe, AZ

We are happy with our solar with SunRun. Installation took much longer than expected but now that it's up, we truly see the savings. HOWEVER we were told numerous times that they would move the panels to a new location if we moved (for a fee of course). Now that we are in the process of purchasing a new home, they are saying that is not true and now we have to add the panels to the sale of our home. We NEVER would have signed the lease if we knew this to be true. Be very careful with this company. I am finding that they are pros in stretching the truth

Robert Casper
April 13th, 2016 West Bridgewater, MA

Everything went smoothly from the installation to flipping the switch on the box. It took an extra bit time time due to my towns inspection process but in the end, all went well.

Shawn jordan
April 13th, 2016 Matawan, NJ

Great job by the sales team and the installers. The installation was smooth took one day and they were super clean. Looks like Solar will be a good move!!

Mark Frisbie
April 13th, 2016 Walnut Creek, CA

Well, I don't know that I would call a "10" awesome rather than excellent, but there isn't anything I can think of that would have been an improvement. I received responsive and informative communication from the beginning. I had some specific questions about "qualifying" my system at the highest capacity possible with PG&E, since I had only recently bought an all-electric car and my prior year usage record did not reflect the increase in usage that I knew I would experience. The questions got answered with referral to an experienced manager at SunRun. The installation foreman and team were on time, organized, courteous, and left the work area clean. The website where I monitor my daily production is a breeze to use. I highly recommend SunRun.

Cedric Sarkin
April 13th, 2016 El Segundo, CA

Still a bit early to know exactly. As I have not received the 3 months of bills yet from Edison. However we are excited to have solar and feel Sunrun did an outstanding job getting our solar system installed.

Juan Barraza
April 13th, 2016 Chandler, AZ

my experience with sun run was that they were very professional and punctual and right on top of there job duty as promised

Parminder singh
April 13th, 2016 Oakland, CA

Sunrun is the best solar company in market today they told me 3 month approximately to install and working solar at my house but they complete every thing in 5 weeks , I never have any problem with the system , I advice only use Sunrun for solar !!

Lorena Montes
April 1st, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

This is only my first month with Sunrun and I already regret giving my business to this company. The system did not work properly since first day and it took 10 days for a tech to come and revise it. In the bill there is a $15 charge for not signing for auto payment (is that legal?) and the customer service is horrible. They were not able to at least let me chose the date I want the 'mandatory' auto payment. Not happy with this company.

Joe Folks
March 21st, 2016 Patchogue, NY

DON'T USE SUNRUN, whatever you do! One contingency we had was that the solar panels could be removed at no cost to us, should we need repairs on the roof. No problem, said the salesman. We shook hands on it. Turns out we need roof repairs, and Sunrun has said it is not part of our written agreement that we signed. So we will have to pay over $7,000 to remove the panels. Big regrets using these guys. Never again.

Michael Holloway
March 21st, 2016 Oceanside, CA

The worst. I am not saving a dime with Sunrun. They charge me for electricity at a rate higher than the utility company and for electricity generated whether I use it or not. Then the power company gets all the extra and sells it at a high rate while paying me wholesale. I lose money. My bill goes up 2% every year whether rates go up or not. Sunrun is a bad bad deal fro the consumer but a great deal for Sunrun and the power company.

Jim
March 3rd, 2016 Mount Pleasant, SC

Thank you Sunrun/LGCY Power- $81 savings in my first month. Great company, Streamlined process and Amazing local service for the low country. Jim SC

Mike
February 23rd, 2016 North Fort Myers, FL

Very good company to work with. They efficiently did 90% of our installation by phone and email. Great response time. Sunrun needs to get down to Florida.

Randy
February 23rd, 2016 Denver, CO

Great experience start to finish. Work was done on time and by very pleasant staff.

alan r
February 23rd, 2016 Little Falls, NJ

the total experience with sunrun went very smoothly.one day installation good cleanup no problems.all the people I dealt with were professional and extremely courteous.i was impressed with the quality of all the materials used for the job. overall rating I give it a 10+

Trudi J. Arrington
February 23rd, 2016 Scottsdale, AZ

My neighbor was considering the purchase of a solar system from Sunrun and asked for my opinion. He provided me with the information Sunrun had given him and wanted to know if he was missing anything. I gave him 2 or 3 additional questions and asked him to let me know how Sunrun responded. When he gave me the answers to my questions I asked him for the name of his sales representative. I called the sales representative on a Friday morning and we made an appointment for that afternoon. My wife and I met with the sales representative for about an hour and purchased a solar system for our home. Buying is easy but then comes the installation and service, which are not always easy and can at times make you wish you hadn't made the purchase. This was not the case with Sunrun. They provided me with all of the information on how they would proceed with the installation and did what they said they would do on the date they said they would do it. The installation team headed by Gabriel was outstanding. For example; they wanted to put their equipment on the inside garage wall closest to the electrical meter on the outside of the wall. This is a requirement of the electric company. On that wall was 2 large ladders on hangers that I had installed. It was the only place that the equipment could be installed to meet the electrical company requirements. I gave them the approval to install it and without asking they removed the hangers and ladders, patched and painted the holes where the hangers had been installed and reinstalled them at a different but convenient location. In addition they did a better job of installing the hangers and ladders than I had done. They finished the installation on time, notified the electric company and came back prior to the electric company installation to show me exactly what was going to happen and how to turn the equipment on and off. They offered me another option by having Sunrun come out and turn the system on. Turning the system on was so simply I did it myself. Once installed I called the sales representative and asked him to come out and show me how to access the system from my computer so I could view the operation and output of the system. I will close by saying I'm a happy camper and feel I made a great financial decision with the right company. Thank you Sunrun.