Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Sunrun Logo

Sunrun

verified
$100 Guarantee
Sunrun has helped over 180,000 customers save more than $100 million on their electricity bills with solar!

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out.

After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points.

The company, which is based in San Francisco, California, has installed over 950 megawatts of solar power and helped consumers in 20 states and Washington D.C. to lower their electricity bills.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • 20-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

In order to fit the needs of almost any customer, Sunrun offers several financing options, including solar leases, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), prepayments, outright purchases, and loans.

Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost.

The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments.

Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

20-Year Maintenance

If customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased, a 20-year warranty on systems that are leased, and 24/7 system monitoring (provided by Sunrun).

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout.

Additionally, Brightbox helps customers save money by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes a detailed FAQ section, a helpful guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand how to move forward with Sunrun and start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 950 megawatts of solar energy.

As a result, Sunrun has offset 1.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 180,000 customers to reduce their electricity bills and take advantage of net metering.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of blog posts and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Click here.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach.

While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Click here. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

Call our recommended rep over at Sunrun below.

3.3

Shahid Saleemi
August 17th, 2015 Antelope, CA

Good experience with this company.

Mr. Ferguson
August 13th, 2015 Glendale, AZ

My wife and I chose sunrun because they were advertising in Costco, and they use only the best products. After having the rep. out to my home and were quoted almost half the price as all other solar company's, we new we had to try them out. Installation was a breeze no problems at all. The foreman for the job was always here. I have a flat roof on my house, so I was worried about leaks and Mother nature gave it a trial run, and we had two leaks which were taken care of quickly. The drywall was replaced and repainted by sunrun.

Sherry
August 12th, 2015 Woodstown, NJ

Overall solar experience is rated a 9. HOWEVER, Regina is correct, in that Sunrun gives you a yearly increase of about 2%. They tell you in the beginning it is a set rate for the length of the contact, then surprise you with it every year and tell you it's in the contract. It is...in VERY tiny writing. Also, if you have a leak and ask them to come check it out, you may as well just get it fixed, This is the second time I had a leak and this time, I've been waiting a month already for them to have Power Overhaul come out and take a look at it. That company has the worst customer service next to Verizon. They don't call you back, forget about you and seem clueless when you call them.SO frusterated at this point, I'm ready to take the panels off myself and put them in the street.

pauline wood
August 12th, 2015 Dudley, MA

we could not be happier with the whole SUN RUN experience,very nice,neat informative,just the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carlos
August 7th, 2015 North Las Vegas, NV

i got in contact with sunrun because i wanted to become more energy independent. Living tied to the grid was becoming somethat of a nightmare. Huge energy bills during the summer, not much smaller during the winter. I became more and more concerned with the carbon emissions comapanies like NVenergy were putting out, so i decided to do some research. I found out that by installing solar panels coupled with a battery backup essentially i could be living off grid. Sunrun has helped me with the process of installing solar panels on my roof which is helpful to not only my wallet but the enviorment. The 100 a month payment is music to my ears compared to the amount i was paying during the summer with NVenergy. The only reason im not giving sunrun a 10 is because there were difficulties with some of the incentives i was supposed to be receiving which i still have not received. Im leasing the panels but i do plan on owning them in the near future. Thank you sunrun for helping everyone.

Sharon and Louie
August 7th, 2015 Casa Grande, AZ

Sunrun is AWESOME!! We are already reaping the benefits of having solar make our energy. We have been very pleased with everything. Staff is great....they truly care and are on top of every little detail. I like the fact that there is no cost to us...just save money on our energy costs!! I would highly recommend Sunrun for your solar consideration!

Dennis Turco
August 4th, 2015 Lancaster, CA

I had Sunrun install my solar system about 2 years ago. I only had 2 problems - 1. the system went down and they fixed it immediately. 2. had a pigeon problem; they installed grating that prevented the pigeons from nesting under the panels AT NO CHARGE!!! I would definitely recommend Sunrun. Note: some months the power company owes me money for the solar energy produced.

Brian Olson
August 3rd, 2015 Littleton, CO

Our 4th year with SunRun. Absolutely delighted with our system. My initial worry was it would be so complicated. Not at all! In our case, we leased the system, but by doing so we reduced our energy costs by 50%. Plus it's nice to get a check from the power company each year. The environmental savings are off the charts. It also allows us go use things like an electric lawnmower instead of gas. Our next car will be electric too. Why not? We have the power! HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Jacob Litoff
July 31st, 2015 Millis, MA

The solar panels they gave me for $1k was a great success. I have to pay $37/month for 14 years they take care of the panels for free during that time. No problems yet. and my electric bills are nothing but credit. Can't ask for more. I just wish my car ran on solar energy during the day and ...well moon energy on my way home from gigs.

Linda
July 31st, 2015 Canyon Country, CA

Love it! We saved over $1700 on our electric bill last year!

Jed
July 29th, 2015 Draper, UT

Excellent.

ken meyer jr
July 29th, 2015 Orange, CA

EVERY part of the process was incredibly handled from their end, and I mean EVERY part.

Sandra Stephens
July 27th, 2015 Las Vegas, NV

The process was flawless and everything explained thoroughly even though I may have asked several times, even came back to house to explain meters until I truly understand. From beginning to end the experience was painless, all contractors involved were professional and friendly. I have recommended them to anyone who wants to go solar. I went live in April 2015 and have saved over $500 dollars so far . I can't say enough about them. Any one wanting Solar check around but you will end up with Sunrun in Las Vegas NV.

George and June Cohen
July 27th, 2015 North Las Vegas, NV

We interviewed 5 different companies before making our decision. Some were a definite NO- was like dealing with a time share sales force. The representative at SunRun answered all of our questions and concerns. No high pressure at all. The staff at Sunrun kept us informed throughout the entire time. The installers were courteous and professional. The install went very smooth. We are now waiting for NVEnergy to install the net meter..

Genevieve
July 23rd, 2015 Sayville, NY

I am very happy that I have signed with Sunrun. Everyone I spoke to including the installers were very professional yet friendly. They were very patient with me as I had many questions, and yes sometimes repeated myself and they always took the time to answer me. As a matter of fact they would make sure I understood everything step by step to calm all my fears. I would highly recommend Sunrun.

Kathy Davis
June 24th, 2015 Mesa, AZ

Installation was done by 2 teams in less than 4 hours. Have had solar for 4 or 5 years. We prepaid a 20 year lease. Our electric bill has been less than $10 since system was activated. Mostly we are paying the service fees and taxes charged by APS. Only complaint is panels have not been cleaned since installed. When asked I was told no need to clean since we are generating more than was estimated.

Valerie Kumra
June 15th, 2015 Santa Rosa, CA

A flawless experience so far. From installation on, we haven't really had to do a thing. Haven't even had to pay a dime (our panels were free with PedersonDean). Once there was an issue with the panels but we didn't even know until they sent us an email that they would be out to fix it. We are two or three years in, and so far, A+.

Natalie N Michael Chappelle
June 12th, 2015 Lihue, HI

We put Sunrun panels on our roof through Rising Sun on Maui, HI. We had a friend that used to be in the business. He did a lot of research and referred us to Rising Sun. We chose the prepaid option and couldn't have been happier. The whole process went smooth timing, installation, usage etc. Only wish we had done it sooner. We referred them to friends and received referral checks as promised. Due to jobs relocation we had to sell our home after only 1 1/2 years with Sunrun but the transfer to the new owner was quick and painless. We figured we probably received double the investment back in the sale price of home. We were so impressed that we are in the middle of added them to our new home on Kauai. Mahalo Rising Sun and Sunrun for your excellent partnership!

Larry Lewis
June 8th, 2015 Apo, AE

Had solar panels installed in 2014 by Sunrun. The install went smooth and my electric bill has dropped significantly. Got the various rebates and most importantly, the Federal 30% tax credit was applied to last year's taxes. I would recommend Sunrun to anyone interested in solar installation.

Ken Hunt
June 5th, 2015 El Cajon, CA

I have had my soar system for 4 months now I dont own it and it has almost cur my bill in half I received a visa card for $2200 on signing up and out of pocket expense was $50 for gas n electric to cut power n re hook it up to a brand new 200 amp panel I had no problems and everything was done on time and professional no complaints at all I would recommend Sun Run to everyone

Greg Bentall
September 22nd, 2016 Cloverdale, CA

I have had Sunrun solar for a year now. The company is totally outstanding. I own my own system outright and have no monthly fees or finance charges. There is a twenty-year warranty that is transferable if I sell my house. My electic bills went from $240 per month to $40 per month. My return on investment is 25% per year. There is no where else I can get that kind of return on my money. I would recommkend Sunrun to anyone. It is a great way to save money while also saving the planet.

Georganne
April 15th, 2015 Fullerton, CA

So far, I am satisfied with the process. The initial sales person was knowledgeable. Her co-worker, the one in charge of getting the installation going was helpful and answered all my questions. Once my new roof was installed, I had the roofer check with Sunrun installers to make sure they were using the correct flashings with in installing the solar panels. My roof's guarantee could not be in question.. Delen and his team Bobby, Ron, and Arash did a fine job with the installation. As of April 1, I am totally solar powered.

NAthan
March 20th, 2015 Pasadena, CA

I have had solar for 2 years now and I love it. Although I am saving about $10 a month, I am helping out the environment and everytime I see a rate jump from PGE on the news I can smile. I have never had an issue with anything.

Tim
March 18th, 2015 San Marcos, CA

Sunrun was prompt when showing for installation. The professionalism was outstanding throughout the total installation. It began with introductions of all the installers then a total explanation of the install followed with a discussion of the location of the panels to be installed. Before the work started all the installers met and talked about the process followed by a through safety meeting. This impressed me very much. The install started and was completed in one day. Very much surprised and impressed. Thanks again to the crew Travis S., Kris B., DJ, Thomas and another Travis.

Rebecca Savage
February 14th, 2015 Riverbank, CA

Thank you Sunrun for your absolutely wonderful installation staff! Russ and his team were all pros and showed the highest amount of respect leaving my home looking even nicer than they may have found it. I would like to personally recommend Russ, Joey, Cory, Clifton, and Tony for all their hard work and courteous attitudes! Sunrun, please continue to higher staff of such high quality.

Nelson
December 4th, 2014 Phoenix, AZ

Most awesome job. Guys arrived on time both days as they said and were very courteous. I feel they went above and beyond with the job they did. Herman, Manny,Jose Fernando and Sal , GREAT JOB. Higest recommendation.

jose cintron
November 4th, 2014 Parkville, MD

I am satisfied with sunrun, my installation was outstanding and they leave my place very clean. I am very satisfy with the solar system, for nine month in the row all I pay is 7.86.

Joe DeScenza
November 4th, 2014 Middlesex, NJ

Sunrun is the best solar provider I am extremely pleased with their service, and would use them again!

stan L.
October 29th, 2014 New Paltz, NY

Installation was some what bad, but since turn on its been GREAT

brad peceimer
October 28th, 2014 Grass Valley, CA

The installation and customer service are extremely poor. The installation crew was a complete nightmare as they screwed it up, and then I was forced to make 48 calls to see how I could get it fixed, but their customer service said "it's putting out the power we said, so we so sorry, but we will not fix the poor installation..... This is very sad as the installation looks like a bunch of 6th graders did it!

larry
October 28th, 2014 Bakersfield, CA

Sales person told me my panels would be washed by sun run ... That didn't happen Told be about try up with PG&E and not once did he tell me about the tru up with sun run.

Willey
October 27th, 2014 Hemet, CA

Smooth from beginning to end. Only regret is that due to our inexperience we didn't negotiate for a better rate!

Bob Irmiger
October 24th, 2014 Boulder, CO

REC was our solar installer - pro group all the way. Excellent experience with REC and Sunrun at all levels of management, from workers to managers. Great customer service! If someone doesn't have the answer they find someone that does. Very refreshing and unusual in this day and age. Have had our system up for over a year now and it is exceeding promised production. I love the $7.83 utility bills every month for most of the year.

Ron Lambert
October 22nd, 2014 Webster, MA

Had solar since Jan I have seen a big difference in my electric bill. Saving significant money vs ly bills. The service getting the panels installed was seemed and without issues.

James Schneider
October 22nd, 2014 San Diego, CA

#1 Sunrun sent us an email requesting a $500 down payment after the salesman from Smart Energy specifically stated that there would be no down payment. Apparently these two companies were not on the same page. #2 after the panels were installed (before inverter installation) I discovered a hypodermic syringe on my driveway and brought it to the attention of Smart Energy ownership. #3 after final inspection by the county building inspector I discovered 20 - 1/4" Holes drilled into the wrong pitch of the roof. They had been calked and were highly visible from our pool area. The mishap was not disclosed to the inspector or us. #4 I finally got an in home 1 hour visit from the owner of Smart Energy and discussed how I would like the remediation to take place. I would have a roofer of my choice completely remove shingles and paper and re install the roofing. This cost would be covered by Smart Energy directly. The job is complete and we are up and running. I received a call from Greensky and discussed payment. I am anxious to see subsequent bills to verify my savings. James and Ruth Schneider

stan letus
October 22nd, 2014 High Falls, NY

8 park circle Since the unit got up and running, I am well satisfied, hope to get other ideas from Sunrun.

linda (tighe) seidenglanz
October 20th, 2014 Fullerton, CA

Very good instalation.....and I'm saving $100. A month on electric bill.....did very good..

Mimi Gulacsi
October 16th, 2014 Hyannis, MA

Up and running for 15 months and very happy with the savings for us

Paul Altenburg
October 15th, 2014 Middletown, NY

On line about 6 months now. Installation was long, but OK. Accounting is good. Customer service seems receptive. I gave 4 to 6 potential references-not one was contacted by Sun Run. Their & my loss. But other than that, it seems to be legit so far.

Derek Moore
October 14th, 2014 Fullerton, CA

Satisfied with the installation , production of the solar panels was as indicated and savings outlined have been realized. Only drawback was with customer service responses to referrals and referral bonuses promised but delayed.