**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. Read more about the merger and rebrand.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers cover the cost of the system and solar panel installation upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their solar systems, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise the solar provider for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering switching to clean energy with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following eight states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

Timothy Grote

February 27th, 2017 Selbyville, DE

Our consultant was absolutely terrific and the team is absolutely the best. I've recommend it to several of my friends and they now have the system

Kenneth Gregory

February 27th, 2017 Provincetown, MA

I can't say anything bad about them. They've been very helpful. When I had a problem they got it right away, it was just a circuit of breaker. They emailed me list of thing to do and it worked. That's the only problem I had. The system is top notch.

Denise Neidhardt

February 27th, 2017 Lancaster, CA

They always answered my questions whenever I had a trouble or called, it's always been good. The website shows everything how my panels are working and that's good

Ed Thibodo

February 27th, 2017 Santee, CA

"I researched a number of solar companies and Sungevity was able to give me the best marketing plan available that fit my needs. I thought he did a good job explaining the process and made me comfortable with the plan. I believed it took longer than anticipated, but what I've seen in the solar industry that's kind of a common thing. I'm very amazed with the installation process. The contractor that I used did an amazing job coming in, setting it up and getting it installed. They were very good. I'm very pleased with the system. It's still producing above the projections and we went from a $900 a month bill from month in summer time to maybe $300 for the year."

Ana Gerard

February 27th, 2017 Syracuse, NY

The installation was absolutely fabulous. I'm really satisfied we've had it for 6 years now. I really like the fact that they keep track of our unit so that we're always updated on the condition what the unit is doing for us and everything. I like the fact that they're constantly keep track of the product.

Leonard Cilenti

February 27th, 2017 Porter Ranch, CA

I researched it for a couple of weeks and I found that from top to bottom they pretty much take care of everything and I feel comfortable with them. They made it very easy and everything they promised they came through with it. I'm extremely happy.

JZ

February 27th, 2017 Brick, NJ

To this day, 3 years later they are still there to answer when I call, response when email, etc. It was positive it continuous to be positive

Okokon

February 27th, 2017 Bronx, NY

My wish is that you could use more panels that can generate more electricity than what they have right now because I would really like to offset my electricity a hundred percent. I'm pretty satisfy with the service and I'm saving money on my electricity.

Robert Williams

February 27th, 2017 New Windsor, NY

I'm very impressed with the energy saving that I'm receiving and the optimization of the equipment. Everything works well and we've been even gone over and above what was predicted the energy savings. I'm very very impressed with the service and I'm very pleased with the energy savings that I'm receiving.

John Pacheco

February 27th, 2017 Fall River, MA

I was extremely satisfied. They kept me informed throughout the whole process and I was extremely happy. The over all plans were just fantastic. They took a lot of the other concern away, they answered all questions. It was just a very good experience. I just can't say enough about the whole process with Sungevity.

Mildred Zatar

February 27th, 2017 Uniondale, NY

I haven't had any problems and they've been great with all of my questions. So far everything has been excellent.

Pompeyo Tabarez

February 27th, 2017 Heber, CA

The consultants are great but the solar panels and the saving... we don't feel a difference. This summer the most we paid $398, so I didn't see any savings. We would rather be with a better system. We still pay light light bills and I don't know why, we're hardly home, there's no savings

Rosanna Chilcoate

February 27th, 2017 Selbyville, DE

They're just very responsive I never had any problem even when there's an issue.

Caroline Vandergrift

February 27th, 2017 San Jose, CA

The customer service is great and the whole process was very seamless. It seems to be working really well, I had pretty good I think or it's pretty use a lot of energy and definitely low my energy cost so it's working well.

JS

February 27th, 2017 Sharon, MA

I talked to about three different companies about their products and their prices and also talked to people who had used a few different companies and made the decision based on that. I think my only complaint was that there are many different people who I needed to talked to in order to go through the whole process, but other than that it was very good.

Catherine Burke

February 27th, 2017 San Gabriel, CA

It works beautifully. Everybody I work with was extremely helpful, everything went smoothly, there's no problem and the people were very friendly and helpful.

Marilyn Marsh

February 27th, 2017 Ashland, MA

They were very efficient and answered questions and replied promptly.

Francine Northcutt

February 27th, 2017 Moreno Valley, CA

Sungevity gave me the best price. I love it and it saves a lot. I don't really have to deal with anybody. Everything is always on schedule and everything's working.

Ronald Ramsey

February 27th, 2017 Coalinga, CA

They kept me informed with every detail. It save me a lot of money, met my expectations, and I like the app that they can tell where I'm at using the app to see where I'm at all the time.

DH

February 27th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

I like Sungevity for the price and responsiveness.

Hector Garza

February 27th, 2017 San Jose, CA

I like the fact that the contractors who install it were very knowledgeable, very careful and everything went according to schedule. System has been very productive more than I expected actually or they expected.

JK

February 27th, 2017 Callicoon Center, NY

The people involved were wonderful, I'm a little disappointed in the amount of energy that I produce but it's a small system so I guess I have to just kind of live with that. But they've been nothing but good, they have been very careful and very watchful of the system and their guarantees are good. The system install happened in one day and it was well coordinated.

Steven Sloan

February 27th, 2017 Apple Valley, CA

They gave me the same product at a much lower rate, a very good product. I reviewed probably a half a dozen solar companies and for the system for my house which is a 6.25 kWh system, Sungevity gave me the best price. The project management was very good, efficient and headed up on my roof in functioning within a day. They maintain the system very well, it did have a one part which they provided but it was made by another company. It went out and they had it replaced at no cost to me in a very short time. I was without power probably less than a day before they have it resolved and again there's no cost to me.

Peter Burkholder

February 27th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

I picked them for the quality of the people who came to look at my home and prepare proposals for the installation of solar panels on the roof. My consultant was outstanding. The system is very good.

Robert Evans

February 27th, 2017 Laguna Hills, CA

They were very responsive to my questions, they have a fair and simple as math that I could understand, and explained their processes completely. Everything from the initiation to the installation and completion were as well done and smooth. It's been 100% great, my family is happy, I'm happy and no trouble at all.

CL

February 27th, 2017 Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA

They made it very easy for me to choose the right financial decision.

Gottfried Tittiger

February 27th, 2017 Angels Camp, CA

They made it very easy for me to choose the right financial decision.

Bruce Conrad

February 27th, 2017 Davis, CA

We really have trouble sometimes, then I found when parts of it fail, it's a lot of trouble getting replacement parts. Consultant and install was excellent.

Dianna Amestoy

February 27th, 2017 Placentia, CA

I highly recommend them for their service and thoroughness

Suzanne Davis

February 27th, 2017 Wallkill, NY

Our interactions were very positive, they took care of everything I just have to sign my name.

Debi Brown

February 27th, 2017 Jurupa Valley, CA

They were amazing- they always contacted me to tell me where we were during the entire process, they even sent a gift card to say they were sorry that things weren't moving as quickly as they anticipated and that wasn't their fault, it was because they are waiting for inspections to come through. When we received the gift card, we were very happy that they thought enough to send it to us but I really did appreciate them letting us know in constantly updating the progress. From the beginning it was just a great experience and that's why I referred Sungevity to a friend, best friend, my daughter, my parents. I would not recommend them if I wasn't a 100% satisfied...even more than a hundred percent satisfied if that even counts. Sungevity is just amazing, we wish we would have done this a long time ago. We are so happy, we didn't go with the other company that we were looking into and I really believe it was Rick who really, he knew his business and he sold a sun everything. He was wonderful and we're very satisfied, very happy customers.

Laurie

February 24th, 2017 South Dartmouth, MA

They were absolutely wonderful. The technicians were great! They did everything as they said and did everything on schedule. I'm saving money with my solar panels and helping the endangered planet to survive a little bit longer. Installation was great - just what they said it was. They did an excellent job, definitely the best solar company. I've recommending them to everybody. I investigated a lot of solar companies and this is the one that's definitely the most reliable, has the best product and does the best follow up on it.

Eve Duddy

February 24th, 2017 Capistrano Beach, CA

Our solar system is good - we haven't have any problems. They were very responsive to any questions we their overall plan was very thorough. It took a little longer but I don't think that was their fault, I think it was just a matter of timing and I think they were very busy with installation so the whole process took a little longer than we thought it would set them. It's been running within a few months and it's working fine.

Kirk Levitt

February 24th, 2017 Whitesboro, NY

They had good advertisement. Their installation team was phenomenal. They installed it less than half a day and I have a big system and they very professional and cleaned up. I'm very happy with the company, I'm on my 3rd year.

Karen Cann

February 24th, 2017 Petaluma, CA

Their customer service folks could use some training in troubleshooting. I think that they need to shorten the time between when they find a problem with the solar producing and to notify folks sooner. And also they need to be quicker fixing the system.

Gilberto Oterolozano

February 24th, 2017 Escondido, CA

Installation was fine, it was fast and they had no problems. The only thing is there's a lot of tools that they left out the house. The system works fine but it's not enough for our needs so we still have a little bit of money we have to pay to the power company. They had an incredible presentation. They used an electronic presentation where you can set it to your computer and a person will talk to you over the phone. The field director was excellent- very knowledgeable. They were very customer service oriented, arrived on time, and were easy to access. They gave us their cellphone numbers if we had questions and they were very prompt about getting back to us if we have a little voice mail. They were just very responsive, very knowledgeable and very warm in welcoming.

Ward Hinds

February 24th, 2017 Concord, CA

I appreciate getting the updates from them recording our energy productions, which I think they send that out monthly.

Mary Mccanta

February 24th, 2017 Oakland, CA

They had the right price for the technology that we wanted. My experience with them was great, they were very responsive. Project managers were on top of things. We really like how we can monitor it from the web so we appreciate the web connection as time goes on.

Valerie Murphy

February 24th, 2017 Rocklin, CA

Sungevity is the only company that said they would replace it, free of cost. They warranted all our parts, not most of the part. So far, so good. I'm very happy. I have not had the chance to see how good they are in the warranty because nothing is broken.

Peter Getzoni

February 24th, 2017 Napanoch, NY

Don't have any problems and it's doing what it's supposed to.

Jeff Lambert

February 24th, 2017 Cromwell, CT

The cost is what made me decide to go with Sungevity. Things have been good.

Wayne Entwistle

February 24th, 2017 North Dartmouth, MA

I haven't had much contact with them since it's been put in. Nobody really calls here or anything from Sungevity to see how things are going. Installation was fine. I got things fixed. The electric company came by and realize what the problem was and if it hadn't been caught I could have had a fire in the house so then Sungevity had them come back and check out everything. It was a mistake, but it was mistake that could have cost on my house, I wasn't happy with that part of it. The installation, everything else was fine I have no complaints except for that one thing.

Donald Jones

February 24th, 2017 Florida, NY

They were the most professional in presentation and what they had to offer. But overall, it's probably disappointing. I don't think that it was working in the long run, I don't seen the value or the benefit yet. They promise a lot of things and they don't follow through.

Raymond Mitchell

February 24th, 2017 Fall River, MA

We didn't get off to a good start, but since they fixed the problem that was existing I've been very pleased with this service. It's been a huge savings for my family with Sungevity as to the classify electricity and the overall experience.

Cia French

February 24th, 2017 Yuma, AZ

It's wonderful that they offer the leasing program for the people who can not afford PB systems.

Joan Peterdi

February 24th, 2017 Norwalk, CT

I just say, go with Sungevity if you possibly can. They were expert in handling all the equipment from the city. I didn't have to do a thing they just handled it all beautifully.

William Taylor

February 24th, 2017 Barclay, MD

They worked very smooth and handled everything from start to finish. The salesperson was great for getting the panels on my roof. We're very happy with it, there are times that I don't have to pay for the power company.

Karen Hill

February 24th, 2017 Chico, CA

I recommend going with Sungevity. I think it saves you money and that was the objective, to save money so it's a good deal. They were very good, they basically did everything and I didn't have to do a thing other than if they had a question they asked me, but they basically took care of everything.

Charles Stone

February 24th, 2017 Cathedral City, CA

I'm extremely happy with the outcome of the whole process, there's a considerable amount of money pay back under 4 years. Their follow up has been tremendous, their half that they have that's been monitoring my system is excellent.

Ernest Dube

February 24th, 2017 Fairhaven, MA

Everything's been very good with them. When I call with questions, they've been very helpful.