**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. Read more about the merger and rebrand.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers cover the cost of the system and solar panel installation upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their solar systems, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise the solar provider for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering switching to clean energy with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following eight states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

Stanley Bilinski

March 16th, 2017 Herkimer, NY

We still have high electric bills, we believe that there were not enough panels installed on our garage to effect any real savings from the solar installation.

Rick Seely

March 14th, 2017

JD Miramontes I Found this crew to be knowledgeable and confident that they could correct this problem. Thanks Horizon Rick Seely

Brionna H

March 13th, 2017

Absolutely great! Very professional customer service!

Cheryl Jensen

March 13th, 2017 Palm Desert, CA

four months to get solar panels on roof. Installed improperly, still not connected to SCE. roof leaked within 6 weeks causing damage to inside ceiling. Put a patch repair on roof and no response since then. I think they are scammers! BEWARE Starting legal action.

William

March 3rd, 2017

Very happy with the customer service and all the people from Sungevity. The consultant was on time and very friendly and explained everything clearly. He answered all questions and made it easy for us to choose Sungevity. I would highly reccomend them to anyone.

Maureen Eastwood

March 1st, 2017 Providence, UT

The installation left me with several broken tiles and a leak in my roof. My ceiling is now damaged and I am waiting for Horizon to repair it. I am very disappointed in this company and would never recommend them to anyone.

Lashondra

March 1st, 2017 Houston, TX

Shoddy installation - broken tiles and now my roof is leaking! I regret going with Horizon Solar and will NEVER recommend them!

Martin Cox

February 27th, 2017 Twentynine Palms, CA

The team was great because they explained step by step what was going on and if I had a any questions I can call them up and get an answer. The installation is a little frustrating because of the permits that they have to get here. The inspector was not available, it took almost 4 weeks I think from the time that engineers came out surveyed my roof until they were. It took over all about 2 months from start to finish.

Linda Kelley

February 27th, 2017 Fort Bragg, CA

I just thought that they were very efficient and prompt. They had the installation done in one day- it was painless I would recommend them and have recommended them to family and friends.

Martin Laufer

February 27th, 2017 Sylmar, CA

I like them for the installation system they used. They had to fire the first electrical contractor that they used but other than that the system was fine.

Rodrigo Perez

February 27th, 2017 Heber, CA

The consultant and everyone is friendly and nice. The only thing is that the service is sometimes during most of my summer year and where I live is when I mostly get my higher electricity bill.

Timothy Dowell

February 27th, 2017 Huntington Beach, CA

The only thing I'm not happy with is the conveyor went out and it was out for a month and they had to repair it but it took them almost a month to repair it which means I had to pay full cost to Edison for a month. The installation went very well there was a minor glitch in it's bed I asked them to correct it and they corrected it right away. The system worked very well. We were able to run run our air conditioner all out summer and our bill from Edison was only like $2 $3 a month.

Neville Meade

February 27th, 2017 Fairfield, CA

They came out and worked very quickly and we had it installed within just a couple of weeks. I liked the fact that they had an online presentation rather than coming in your home. We had one problem with it after about 2 years and they came right out and replaced the piece of equipment that wasn't working properly and it's been working fine ever since.

David Myers

February 27th, 2017 Corona, CA

Wouldn't trade it I've been very happy with my solar system over all.

Theophil Jarsen

February 27th, 2017 Vincentown, NJ

They were exceptional. They were right there on the phone if they weren't there I left them message and I would say within a half hour to an hour I have somebody live on the phone. So far the system appears to be doing a super job. It lowered our electric bill especially the last couple w/c was almost the heaviest with the cold weather and we noticed in July and August of this summer a fantastic saving, oh if you don't wanna use fantastic let's put a really big saving in the cost using the air-conditioner. They're in constant contact with us.

Dale Taylor

February 27th, 2017 Cortland, NY

"The system itself has been fantastic. Before I started, they asked me to give them a year's worth of my energy bill so they could determine my usage and then design a system based on that. They said, "we'll guarantee that you'll get at least 110% of what you used in the past". So last February I did have a bill I had to pay...I think it was $50 or $60. But then starting in March of 2016 until November I generated a credit each month and so I haven't have to pay a bill since that point other than the access fee that are local power company charges us $16 and $0.95. That should be my bills for the rest of my life…$16.95 a month. It's what I hoped would happen and it's what the Sungevity people had told me would happen you know sometimes you have to take people at their word and they did so I'm pretty happy. For the most part, the installation was all positive. One of the girls that I spoke with who was maybe an engineer, she wanted to start the process in March and I had to explain to her that in where I live in Central New York, March wasn't a good time to start the process. I was gonna have to wait until there was no chance of snow involved. At first she wasn't real hot on that idea she tried to convinced me that when you're up buying a roof and it's a micro climate it's different than when you're on the ground. As far as I can tell, they're a good company. It's not like I'm expert or anything, but I do know that it has worked for me."

Don Brown

February 27th, 2017 Newark, DE

It was done in a timely manner so I was well pleased with the job they did. I'm happy with it and I wanna tell anybody about it!

Thomas Hutchinson

February 27th, 2017 Sykesville, MD

They were very friendly and I had many questions and they answered them all. I did have 1 technical issue and they actually contacted me about it before I was even aware of it

Timothy Grote

February 27th, 2017 Selbyville, DE

Our consultant was absolutely terrific and the team is absolutely the best. I've recommend it to several of my friends and they now have the system

Kenneth Gregory

February 27th, 2017 Provincetown, MA

I can't say anything bad about them. They've been very helpful. When I had a problem they got it right away, it was just a circuit of breaker. They emailed me list of thing to do and it worked. That's the only problem I had. The system is top notch.

Denise Neidhardt

February 27th, 2017 Lancaster, CA

They always answered my questions whenever I had a trouble or called, it's always been good. The website shows everything how my panels are working and that's good

Ed Thibodo

February 27th, 2017 Santee, CA

"I researched a number of solar companies and Sungevity was able to give me the best marketing plan available that fit my needs. I thought he did a good job explaining the process and made me comfortable with the plan. I believed it took longer than anticipated, but what I've seen in the solar industry that's kind of a common thing. I'm very amazed with the installation process. The contractor that I used did an amazing job coming in, setting it up and getting it installed. They were very good. I'm very pleased with the system. It's still producing above the projections and we went from a $900 a month bill from month in summer time to maybe $300 for the year."

Ana Gerard

February 27th, 2017 Syracuse, NY

The installation was absolutely fabulous. I'm really satisfied we've had it for 6 years now. I really like the fact that they keep track of our unit so that we're always updated on the condition what the unit is doing for us and everything. I like the fact that they're constantly keep track of the product.

Leonard Cilenti

February 27th, 2017 Porter Ranch, CA

I researched it for a couple of weeks and I found that from top to bottom they pretty much take care of everything and I feel comfortable with them. They made it very easy and everything they promised they came through with it. I'm extremely happy.

JZ

February 27th, 2017 Brick, NJ

To this day, 3 years later they are still there to answer when I call, response when email, etc. It was positive it continuous to be positive

Okokon

February 27th, 2017 Bronx, NY

My wish is that you could use more panels that can generate more electricity than what they have right now because I would really like to offset my electricity a hundred percent. I'm pretty satisfy with the service and I'm saving money on my electricity.

Robert Williams

February 27th, 2017 New Windsor, NY

I'm very impressed with the energy saving that I'm receiving and the optimization of the equipment. Everything works well and we've been even gone over and above what was predicted the energy savings. I'm very very impressed with the service and I'm very pleased with the energy savings that I'm receiving.

John Pacheco

February 27th, 2017 Fall River, MA

I was extremely satisfied. They kept me informed throughout the whole process and I was extremely happy. The over all plans were just fantastic. They took a lot of the other concern away, they answered all questions. It was just a very good experience. I just can't say enough about the whole process with Sungevity.

Mildred Zatar

February 27th, 2017 Uniondale, NY

I haven't had any problems and they've been great with all of my questions. So far everything has been excellent.

Pompeyo Tabarez

February 27th, 2017 Heber, CA

The consultants are great but the solar panels and the saving... we don't feel a difference. This summer the most we paid $398, so I didn't see any savings. We would rather be with a better system. We still pay light light bills and I don't know why, we're hardly home, there's no savings

Rosanna Chilcoate

February 27th, 2017 Selbyville, DE

They're just very responsive I never had any problem even when there's an issue.

Caroline Vandergrift

February 27th, 2017 San Jose, CA

The customer service is great and the whole process was very seamless. It seems to be working really well, I had pretty good I think or it's pretty use a lot of energy and definitely low my energy cost so it's working well.

JS

February 27th, 2017 Sharon, MA

I talked to about three different companies about their products and their prices and also talked to people who had used a few different companies and made the decision based on that. I think my only complaint was that there are many different people who I needed to talked to in order to go through the whole process, but other than that it was very good.

Catherine Burke

February 27th, 2017 San Gabriel, CA

It works beautifully. Everybody I work with was extremely helpful, everything went smoothly, there's no problem and the people were very friendly and helpful.

Marilyn Marsh

February 27th, 2017 Ashland, MA

They were very efficient and answered questions and replied promptly.

Francine Northcutt

February 27th, 2017 Moreno Valley, CA

Sungevity gave me the best price. I love it and it saves a lot. I don't really have to deal with anybody. Everything is always on schedule and everything's working.

Ronald Ramsey

February 27th, 2017 Coalinga, CA

They kept me informed with every detail. It save me a lot of money, met my expectations, and I like the app that they can tell where I'm at using the app to see where I'm at all the time.

DH

February 27th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

I like Sungevity for the price and responsiveness.

Hector Garza

February 27th, 2017 San Jose, CA

I like the fact that the contractors who install it were very knowledgeable, very careful and everything went according to schedule. System has been very productive more than I expected actually or they expected.

JK

February 27th, 2017 Callicoon Center, NY

The people involved were wonderful, I'm a little disappointed in the amount of energy that I produce but it's a small system so I guess I have to just kind of live with that. But they've been nothing but good, they have been very careful and very watchful of the system and their guarantees are good. The system install happened in one day and it was well coordinated.

Steven Sloan

February 27th, 2017 Apple Valley, CA

They gave me the same product at a much lower rate, a very good product. I reviewed probably a half a dozen solar companies and for the system for my house which is a 6.25 kWh system, Sungevity gave me the best price. The project management was very good, efficient and headed up on my roof in functioning within a day. They maintain the system very well, it did have a one part which they provided but it was made by another company. It went out and they had it replaced at no cost to me in a very short time. I was without power probably less than a day before they have it resolved and again there's no cost to me.

Peter Burkholder

February 27th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

I picked them for the quality of the people who came to look at my home and prepare proposals for the installation of solar panels on the roof. My consultant was outstanding. The system is very good.

Robert Evans

February 27th, 2017 Laguna Hills, CA

They were very responsive to my questions, they have a fair and simple as math that I could understand, and explained their processes completely. Everything from the initiation to the installation and completion were as well done and smooth. It's been 100% great, my family is happy, I'm happy and no trouble at all.

CL

February 27th, 2017 Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA

They made it very easy for me to choose the right financial decision.

Gottfried Tittiger

February 27th, 2017 Angels Camp, CA

They made it very easy for me to choose the right financial decision.

Bruce Conrad

February 27th, 2017 Davis, CA

We really have trouble sometimes, then I found when parts of it fail, it's a lot of trouble getting replacement parts. Consultant and install was excellent.

Dianna Amestoy

February 27th, 2017 Placentia, CA

I highly recommend them for their service and thoroughness

Suzanne Davis

February 27th, 2017 Wallkill, NY

Our interactions were very positive, they took care of everything I just have to sign my name.

Debi Brown

February 27th, 2017 Jurupa Valley, CA

They were amazing- they always contacted me to tell me where we were during the entire process, they even sent a gift card to say they were sorry that things weren't moving as quickly as they anticipated and that wasn't their fault, it was because they are waiting for inspections to come through. When we received the gift card, we were very happy that they thought enough to send it to us but I really did appreciate them letting us know in constantly updating the progress. From the beginning it was just a great experience and that's why I referred Sungevity to a friend, best friend, my daughter, my parents. I would not recommend them if I wasn't a 100% satisfied...even more than a hundred percent satisfied if that even counts. Sungevity is just amazing, we wish we would have done this a long time ago. We are so happy, we didn't go with the other company that we were looking into and I really believe it was Rick who really, he knew his business and he sold a sun everything. He was wonderful and we're very satisfied, very happy customers.

Laurie

February 24th, 2017 South Dartmouth, MA

They were absolutely wonderful. The technicians were great! They did everything as they said and did everything on schedule. I'm saving money with my solar panels and helping the endangered planet to survive a little bit longer. Installation was great - just what they said it was. They did an excellent job, definitely the best solar company. I've recommending them to everybody. I investigated a lot of solar companies and this is the one that's definitely the most reliable, has the best product and does the best follow up on it.