**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. Read more about the merger and rebrand.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers cover the cost of the system and solar panel installation upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their solar systems, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise the solar provider for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering switching to clean energy with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following eight states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

John Hill

February 24th, 2017 Anaheim, CA

I was really impressed. The team was wonderful, I was really really surprised because I have a lot of trouble with contractors in the past and this was just really refreshing. They were extremely accommodating, it was really nice. If there's one weakness in Sungevity, it is the availability of the information. I'm not able to directly connect into the system and everything that's done online with them. They have relatively limited reporting and usually behind a couple of weeks but that's really relatively minor.

Vincent Avallone

February 24th, 2017 Hyde Park, NY

Seems to be working very well, we haven't had any problem. We only came across one issue with them and that was the referral. We had a neighbor that was 3 houses away from us that got the Sungevity system right after us, and we had hoped to get the $500 or thousand dollar referral fee that they offer. That was our only concern...We were hoping to get the referral fee and they didn't give it to us.

Gerald Stetson

February 24th, 2017 West Bridgewater, MA

Our consultant was relatively okay. They changed personnel too many times, I never know who I was talking to.

Eric Waterman

February 24th, 2017 Upland, CA

Everything with our system has been smooth and the service was been excellent. Best price and best service!

Howard Spinner

February 24th, 2017 San Ramon, CA

The setup was great. After a few years, they had a picnic barbecue nearby and they invited us. Along the way, we talked to customers and employees. This was back in 2014 and it was just terrific, they were very knowledgeable they gave out materials and souvenirs you know thing we should use.

Barry Hunt

February 24th, 2017 Chadwicks, NY

The installation was very quick, very good, very neat.

Marilyn Manning

February 24th, 2017 Phoenicia, NY

I'm 100% in favor of this wonderful company. The team was terrific!

Jane Cordingley

February 24th, 2017 Concord, CA

I interviewed 3 different solar companies and they had the best explanation for the service I would get and the support I would get. They installers were incredible, they were immaculate. Everything was set very clean and neat. They were prompt and very polite, they even get me a table down from the top of my garage 'cause I couldn't reach it. I've been very pleased. It's been 5 months this year that I had no electric bill. The service has been good and I went from above $250 a month in electric $0.

Melani Vanpetten

February 24th, 2017 Oakland, CA

It's been fine, no problems at all. It really cut my electric bill

Philip Brandt

February 24th, 2017 Bronx, NY

They did a good job. It's working well and they have kept in contact with me about how it's doing.

Anthony Messina

February 24th, 2017 Dover, DE

They've been very helpful and every time I had a question, they'd answer it. The system looks great.

Lynnda Shepherd

February 24th, 2017 Bonita, CA

We love Sungevity and our solar system! Consultant was excellent and we are satisfied with the install.

Cheyenne Cute

February 24th, 2017 Cortland, NY

Early on, I had some issues, but they took care of it and I haven't had any issues since.

Joseph Westfall

February 24th, 2017 Montrose, NY

My experience with our solar consultant was very positive- they guided me along the whole process.

Daniel Frink

February 24th, 2017 Davis, CA

Working with Sungevity has been trouble free and we are satisfied. I think the price is reasonable.

Pichou Etinde

February 24th, 2017 Bristol, CT

Installation was long, but eventually got done. They have the best deal.

Cheryl Garrett

February 24th, 2017 Ventura, CA

There's no problem and the system works as I was told it would work. They have the right payment plan and a good product that had a long warranty. They're also easy to communicate with.

Joseph Desena

February 24th, 2017 Barnegat, NJ

Sungevity is excellent. They have great follow up.

James Wellnitz

February 24th, 2017 Poway, CA

Getting everything set up took a little while, they had a few set back so it took longer than it probably should have, but they apologized and they even sent a small gift card for the extra wait...everything is working fine now. I like their online tracking of the performance so we can see how we're doing and and see how much the difference in the sun and the length of the phase in terms of how much the power it create.

Angelo Cappos

February 24th, 2017 Bonita, CA

I think one of the best features was the after purchased customer service.

William Griswold

February 24th, 2017 San Diego, CA

I like working with Sungevity's online tools they made it easy to research the system, I like their sales representatives and in some way the pricing arrangement was very favorable. The savings on my electrical bill have been amazing and basically we haven't had some electrical bills for three years which is, been a real pleasure. Sungevity used local contractors, which I like, so they were enhancing the ongoing business of existing contractors. They were very nice to work with. There were some issues on scheduling because there's so many types of contractors to bring in, but you know you're going have a lot work and it worked out great. The actual system is fantastic, it's basically trouble free. At one point we had a failure with the network communications device, the solar system talks over the internet, but we had people come out and fix it, it's been great.

Kathleen Pead

February 24th, 2017 Orangevale, CA

I had a problem where my equipment is no longer collecting energy and it took them a very long time to get it fixed so I was not happy with the repair service. Other than that, the overall experience was good.

Theresa Patton

February 24th, 2017 Mineola, NY

They gave an excellent consultation. They made it incredibly easy taking care of everything from permits to question. They were really very thorough and very good. We referred them and we've had friends who have already used them as well.

Peter Allen

February 24th, 2017 Griswold, CT

Sungevity is excellent. Went with them for their price and the leasing options.

Thelma Gwin

February 24th, 2017 Milton, DE

Our contacts were excellent! They explained everything, they went out of their way to make sure we understood what's involved, and exactly what it would cost us and everything. Even to this day I know if something should go wrong, they're right there and they'll send someone to take care of it. They did a beautiful job, I highly recommended them.

Marty Larsen

February 24th, 2017 El Dorado Hills, CA

They were better than the other companies solar consultants. I'm electrical engineer so I could tell the difference; that was the other reason why I gave them additional consideration. Their pricing was better than as well. This past summer the only amount I had to pay was 2 dollars and 58 cents for the whole summer in electric.

John F Flood

February 24th, 2017 Bridgeville, DE

Installation was fabulous. There are one or two other solar companies in our area that I wouldn't let walk on my property - that's how bad they are - and yet they still do work. But Sungevity is the class of a solar. Every part of their company is responsive, full of information, answers things all the way. Everything that they promise came true.

Van Nguyen

February 24th, 2017 West Sacramento, CA

We went with Sungevity for the cost. We had a good experience.

BP

February 24th, 2017 La Palma, CA

Our salesperson was professional and answered all the questions carefully and did everything he said he would. Then the installation was flawless. I recommend them. They've done a good job for us and I think anybody should give them a try.

John Campbell

February 24th, 2017 Benicia, CA

Everything went as planned and went really quickly. A lot faster that I expected. They did a good job

Allen Hanford

February 24th, 2017 Carver, MA

For 5 years I've been trying to get solar collectors and everybody said they couldn't do it and Sungevity said they could. They predicted what amount of the electricity I would get and it is more than they predicted so that was good. I had a little trouble sometimes getting all of people there and keeping track of what was going on, but over all it was good.

Marshall Rub

February 24th, 2017 Shafter, CA

The installation exceeded my expectation, they installed it and they did an excellent job. The system has been excellent.

Richard Brueckner

February 24th, 2017 Santa Maria, CA

I'm really happy with the system. I like the pricing and the relation I have with them.

Katheryn Boyd

February 24th, 2017 Villas, NJ

They were very good. I had a problem with my roof and they were very helpful. It took time, but other than that it was good and fair with the cost involved, so I'm pretty happy with them.

Konna Laflower

February 24th, 2017 Brockton, MA

When I was shopping for solar, they had the best deal at that time. Everything has been fine - no problems at all.

Kim L Faltin

February 24th, 2017 Schenectady, NY

It's all been very positive and I have my own website that I can go check daily about the amount of the electricity that the panels have been producing so I can check daily, weekly, monthly and since the date of the installation of how much electricity has been produced. It's been great, our electric bill has been reduced considerably and there are some months where we have no electrical bill from the utility company at all.

Leo Castillo

February 24th, 2017 Paso Robles, CA

Their customer service is great, no one is ever rude, they were super friendly and the most are purity concerned when everything went wrong, is anything went wrong so it's pretty awesome. No one was ever difficult to work with, everyone was super friendly, helpful, it's very simple. When everything was processed and put up, their continue support is actually incredible, if there's ever an issue with the solar panels or I have a question about the systems, they were there for me and easy to work with. The only process that took us long is getting the CD to come out and process on everything

Jack Tobin

February 24th, 2017 Massapequa, NY

I did my homework and checked almost a year and a half before I chose Sungevity. I won't give you any names of any other companies, but all of the other ones were parasitic wanted to get into my checking account. They were basically predator solar companies. The installation was perfect... there have been two hurricanes with no problems, my next door neighbor who went with another company has already had major problems and a leak in his roof. I've never had any problems with Sungevity. The only problem I have is with my energy company...we produce energy for PSE&G they gave us 3.1 cents for what we give them and they have no cost to produce the energy and they still sell it for 42 cents of kilowatts.

David E Perrone

February 24th, 2017 Cathedral City, CA

They were great..no nonsense. It was great to always get my question answered and they did a very good job.

Daisy Lee

February 24th, 2017 Castro Valley, CA

My system has been great. I love it. I can check on it at any time on my computer, on my iPhone to see what kind of energy we're getting. The installation was very clean and very thorough. They came in and did their job and left everything as it was. Sungevity explained everything in basic and obvious terms rather that speaking in jargon, so that really help us understand our needs. I think what would be really nice is if they can explain that year end true up with PG&E a little bit clearer. The first year we got that, we were actually quite surprise so a little bit more detail on what that true up means would really really help instead of me having to go to PG&E at the end of the year and try to figure it out with them. I think that's the only thing other than that we're really happy with our system and it's working.

Annemarie Sousa

February 24th, 2017 Fall River, MA

To me, solar is really an excellent way to go if you can. We're on the 20 year lease, so it makes it easy to pay for. It's wonderful from about March till about November I don't pay any electric bill.

Ron Maas

February 24th, 2017 Bridgeville, DE

My biggest problem was with the local power company. Sungevity was seamless. They responded properly to my questions and explained things very well

Stanley Hilton

February 24th, 2017 Worcester, MA

Installation was easy and they always responded quickly.

Maurice E Burrowes

February 24th, 2017 Bronx, NY

They were very responsive to any issue I found.

James Hoxsie

February 24th, 2017 Lincoln, CA

I picked Sungevity for the quality and price. When installing, they knew what they were doing and they finished the job on time with the specifications that we agreed.

Cecil Hudson

February 15th, 2017 Del Mar, CA

Its over all was very good, there were some errors on installation which they took care and fixed it

Robert Kinstle

February 15th, 2017 Livermore, CA

The process working at Sungevity was very low drama. Their charges are reasonable, their process is reasonable and their very easy to work with, so it's seems like they're meant for me. Their pretty aggressive about calling me during the finances, to be sure that you get started, they're all very positive. Note: Prospect didn't understand the question and rep failed to repeat

Leon Tanner

February 15th, 2017 Meriden, CT

We had talked other solar companies that just couldn't give a specifics about how much money we would save by going solar and there was a guy from another company, Solar City who was more interested on how pretty he looked and had to get home to his apartment because he has friends coming over so he really wasn't interested in doing the sale. We had a great experience. They monitor everything, we don't have to worry about nothing. Sungevity is been wonderful.

Warren Ecker

February 15th, 2017 Los Banos, CA

I look at all the other competitors that were available that time and this was the best deal. Everything was great, I don't have a single complaint.

Adrienne Borge

February 15th, 2017 Belvedere Tiburon, CA

I thought they were responsive and timely and informative. We are pleased with the system.