**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. Read more about the merger and rebrand.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following eight states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Preston Shimer
March 24th, 2017 Westborough, MA

I had no problems at all, the management was great. I went with Sungevity because the price was pretty good and the features were pretty good

Jeremy Day
March 24th, 2017 Mariposa, CA

I like their customer service and their approach to it. I'll give them a 10

Hans-Ulrich Siebeneick
March 24th, 2017 Seaside, CA

Sungevity had the best deal. Installation and project management was good

Samuel Drake
March 24th, 2017 Fairfield, CA

I went check out the other solar companies and Sungevity seems to be the best one of all of them. They are excellent

Richard Valerian
March 24th, 2017 Oakland, CA

My overall experience with Sungevity has been very good. I went with Sungevity for the price

Robert Broderick
March 24th, 2017 Whittier, CA

I'm very happy with the customer service they provided. All my questions and concerns were answered and taken care of. Everything was just awesome!

Steve Munnery
March 24th, 2017 Piscataway Township, NJ

I would say they were very professional right from the beginning through the whole process, and managed it quite well. Even though the project was managed remotely, they stayed in touch by phone and email, so they were always aware of what was going on. Over all? I'd say I'm more than happy with the whole experience.

Pearl McMillan
March 24th, 2017 East Orange, NJ

Sungevity's Solar consultants have kept the line of communication open all the time. They made sure I understood the process every step of the way. It was a very positive experience.

James Fojut
March 24th, 2017 Lafayette, CA

They were very responsive to all my questions and I thought they were very good in terms of price. Everything was a positive experience. I just love the system!

Leann Enos
March 24th, 2017 Easton, CT

The installation was very well done, however, they recommended a pole to take off the heavy snow and it hasn't worked. I'm disappointed with the fact that they said the snow would melt with the energy producing heat, but it doesn't do that. I've lost great deal of energy now. Besides that, the man that works with me was very understanding and helped a lot.

Nilesh Mistry
March 24th, 2017 Hayward, CA

As far as the consultant, they were knowledgeable, very helpful and returned my calls very promptly. However, Sungevity made a few mistakes regarding the rules and regulations of the system, so I was not very happy about that. On top of that, the Project Management Team didn't answer my questions in a timely manner. Now, more and more people are questioning the company because of the news that came out yesterday.

Michael Vancophsky
March 24th, 2017 Mahwah, NJ

They were very professional and they answered any questions that I had at that time. The Project Management Team was on top of everything at all times. I'm just very happy with the results so far.

Susan Weliky
March 24th, 2017 East Falmouth, MA

I was able to contact them when I needed to, and they were very professional and helpful. The installation took 2 days and they were all hard working people. They all did a great job!

Nelson Zagalsky
March 24th, 2017 Laguna Niguel, CA

I reviewed the several other companies none of which were willing to give me a good proposal for a purchased system. They answered all my questions and were very straightforward about what the system would do and what it would cost me. Just outstanding the front end of the experience with Sungevity. When installing, they kept me informed of how they were doing against the milestones. I was very anxious to make sure I got my system installed prior to the end of the year so I could kept my tax credit for that year. They assured me that they would be able to do it they did make it happen so I was very pleased.

George Constantineau
March 24th, 2017 Oakley, CA

Everything was good and the installation was not bad, however the advertisement was a little deceiving. The Project Management team kept me informed and kept all the dates. I'm very happy with they system.

Anthony Sacco
March 24th, 2017 Bay Shore, NY

I researched several solar companies and I found that Sungevity offered technology that was superior to the others, the pricing was competitive and the customer reviews were excellent. The entire process was very good, starting with the Solar Consultant. The only thing I can say is that I saved money, even when it snowed.

Paul Ashton
March 24th, 2017 Apple Valley, CA

We're actually not that thrilled at all. Their Solar Consultant was friendly, however the installation occurred in segments. They also promised an electric car charger but for several reasons they didn't install it the day they promised they would. The Project Manager promised us a refund, which we haven't received yet.

DD
March 24th, 2017 Solvang, CA

We had an open and honest communication with the Solar Consultant and that just made it a great experience. I was very satisfied with the installers, and although I've only had the system for 3 months, everything has been good. There was no pressure at all.

Matthew Reid
March 24th, 2017 Calistoga, CA

They were very clear about the process and did everything when they said they were gonna do it. It just made everything very easy. I'm very happy with their service and system.

Renato Balangue
March 24th, 2017 San Diego, CA

Everything was quick and easy. All it needs now is some maintenance but besides that, I'm happy with the service. It even has a website that can monitor my system!

March 24th, 2017 Lemoore, CA

They weren't trying to sell, they pretty much tried to help me instead. They installed it very quickly and everybody was helpful. The only thing I would say is that sometimes we can't get a hold of the Solar Consultant, however we're satisfied with the service.

Jeffrey Rubinstein
March 24th, 2017 Winnetka, CA

The Solar Consultant was positive and seemed to understand my needs. I wasn't dissatisfied with anything. They did a good job.

Timothy Cobb
March 24th, 2017 San Diego, CA

Their Management Team made sure I was well informed throughout the entire process and also provided a warranty that no other company offered.. Everything was installed in one day. I'm very pleased with the results in the last couple of months. All I can say is that I definitely would recommend them.

Carol Kaiser
March 24th, 2017 Toms River, NJ

After reading reviews from other solar companies, we saw that Sungevity had a lot of good feedback. I really can't complain about them because they handled everything very well. They installation crew didn't make a mess and they were very prompt. Everybody was very nice and accommodating. I'd highly recommend them to anybody!

Matthew Fullerton
March 24th, 2017 Mission Viejo, CA

My neighbor recommended the service and so far I've been very satisfied. They've been very responsive whenever I've had a question or issues

James Ince-Scott
March 24th, 2017 Yorba Linda, CA

The Solar Consultant kept us informed throughout the process. They didn't make us feel left out of loop. I probably talked to half a dozen people at the company for various reasons and they were all very cheerful. It just made the process a lot easier. The only change we had was in our bills; they dropped significantly. It's been a great experience.

Robert Kingsley
March 24th, 2017 Oswego, NY

Sungevity is the best there is. They know what they're doing and they get the job done. The panels are perfect for this home and it's great! It saves me a bunch of money; it's a 100% for me.

Charanjit Pangali
March 24th, 2017 Tracy, CA

I was extremely satisfied with the installation process and besides, they gave me the best price out of 3 different companies. Everything with them has been great so far!

Michael Conlon
March 24th, 2017 Bridgeton, NJ

I think that Sungevity was the best decision I made in a long time regarding my energy needs. They offered me a deal I really couldn't refuse and everything was excellent from that point on. They really made a paint for it! I would highly recommend them.

W Mcclement
March 24th, 2017 Menifee, CA

I chose Sungevity because they were completely honest with me; they didn't lie to me like other companies. the Solar Consultant was completely informative and wonderful, and they all went out of their way to make sure that our experience was easy, fast and exactly what they told us it would be. I can't even say how magnificent the company was and how quickly it was done.

William
March 24th, 2017 Morgan Hill, CA

They've been very very professional and true to their word. The system does what it needs to do, they take care of any problems and it saves me money. Plus, I don't have to manage it. They have been really good in making sure that everything was delivered on time and as promised

Rosalind Little
March 24th, 2017 Windsor Mill, MD

Unlike other companies, they weren't pushy, and if I had questions about anything, I knew I could call them. There's no dumb question, they were just very easy to work with. They consulted me first before taking any decisions when it came to installing. It was just a great experience.

Todd Bethke
March 24th, 2017 Albuquerque, NM

Sungevity's Solar Consultant was very professional and wonderful! The Project Management team was good and there were no major issues when it came to installing the panels. Everything went great.

Susan Miller
March 24th, 2017 Queenstown, MD

They did a great job! The installation took a while and, when there were glitches, they kept me informed during the whole process. I can say I'm definitely satisfied with their service.

Heath Parks
March 24th, 2017 Vacaville, CA

Although I'm still waiting for the summer time to see the outcome, everything has been very good! They were the nicest in what they were talking about and everything was dealt with in a professional way.

Lori Chroibak
March 24th, 2017 Antioch, CA

It has met my expectations and it helps the environment as well! The Project Management Team was very responsive and professional, plus the installation went very smoothly. My overall experience with them has been very positive.

March 24th, 2017 Millville, MA

I decided to go Solar with them after I did my own research and talking to several representatives from different companies. I was satisfied with the service when it was first on, but after I had an issue I can't say I'm fully satisfied.

Matthew Sobieski
March 24th, 2017 Ridgecrest, CA

They did an outstanding job taking care of my needs and what I wanted from a solar system installed in my house, when other companies did not. The staff during the installation was friendly and respectful. They were one of the only companies that got back to me anytime and with a respectful manner. It's definitely been a great experience.

Karen Capra
March 24th, 2017 Discovery Bay, CA

Everything has been excellent with them so far. The we spoke with on the phone explained everything to us. They did such an excellent job that I even referred some people to them. I'm glad I chose Sungevity!

Anusha Bhoi
March 24th, 2017

One of my office colleague's told me about Sungevity and how happy he was with them. The installation was done within time and the Solar Consultant was good as well. However we were a bit confused when it came to the Project Manager because they kept assigning new managers without our consent. They also filed for bankruptcy, so we don't know if we'll be with them in the future. Besides that, their system is doing very good! It gave us the numbers we expected.

Jeffrey Weller
March 24th, 2017 Littleton, CO

I decided this was the best option because they had better financing and installation plans. Their Solar Consultant was very very good and I didn't have a bad experience with the installation process. I love the System!

Audrey
March 24th, 2017 Hollister, CA

After watching how one of the Solar companies we looked into treated an employee when he fell off the roof, we decided to go with Sungevity. The Solar consultant was very good and we were very satisfied with the installation process. All we can say is we like the system a lot!

Amber
March 24th, 2017 Santee, CA

I like that Sungevity has more of a founding with a partnership than those personally owned companies that could go out of business any moment. The consultant was great and gave us the quote right away. They installed everything very quickly and all my questions were answered. Everything just went really well!

Rory Bollozos
March 24th, 2017 Cherry Hill, NJ

I'm very impressed with them! They inspected my roof prior to the installation, which was excellent by the way. I'm really pleased on how their project management team handled everything; they definitely helped me save a lot of money on my electrical bill.

Barry Murphy
March 22nd, 2017 Pomona, CA

It took several months to get the ball rolling, but the installation was finally completed in about 3 days (36 panels). My lease is $184 and change, and my Edison bill went from a minimum of $250 in the winter and over $500 summer to less than $10. In fact, my bill for Feb. 2017 was 50 cents! I should have done this years ago. The only drawback is that the system will not produce if the Edison fails completely. Apparently the inverters need an input in order to connect the solar panels. This is probably to protect Edison workers in case they are working on their power equipment.

Marcea C
March 22nd, 2017 Pomona, CA

Way better than promised. Did a Pre Paid PPA. (Best value in Solar if you have cash) System is way over producing even with the weather. Install guys were great and fun. Follow up with the company has been above and beyond. No vanishing sale's guy. He calls every now and then to check in and ask if we have questions. Even with the weather in Feb and March, my projected bill is -$47! AC will be humming in the summer with no worries. If you need an Honest rep, ask for Greg Wellen. He talked to me like I was his neighbor. Way different than the other 4 companies I sat with.

John hakker
March 20th, 2017

JD M was friendly and professional and finished my job in a timely manner thank you horizon John Hakker

Nancy Spector
March 20th, 2017 Buffalo, NY

I had a contract with them and they canceled on me, telling me my roof wasn't strong enough. Another company locally provided my solar and said my roof was fine. I think they canceled me because for some reason it wasn't good enough business for them. It was a small job.

Stanley Bilinski
March 16th, 2017 Herkimer, NY

We still have high electric bills, we believe that there were not enough panels installed on our garage to effect any real savings from the solar installation.

Rick Seely
March 14th, 2017

JD Miramontes I Found this crew to be knowledgeable and confident that they could correct this problem. Thanks Horizon Rick Seely