**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. Read more about the merger and rebrand.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers cover the cost of the system and solar panel installation upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their solar systems, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise the solar provider for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering switching to clean energy with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following eight states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Susan M

October 23rd, 2017 91311

I did not choose them. I decided to go with sunrun. I was not impressed with there fast talking salesman. He gave me wrong information and did not listen to what I was telling him. I found a comperable system for thousands of dollars less.

Kimberly lamore

October 23rd, 2017 8087

Horrible this company is a joke. I initially thought it was great until they went bankrupt and no one tells you anything.

Satisfied Customer

October 23rd, 2017 95602

I liked having one fellow, Mo, who was always on site to answer questions.

Don't care

October 23rd, 2017 11735

They where great. I did not choose them because the disqualified one of my roofs.

TWO

October 23rd, 2017 2571

Good proposal, well thought out and fair on price, home inspection done well

Trying to dig out of mess from Sungevity

October 23rd, 2017 94080

Disorganized company trying to unravel from mess bought from Sungevity.

Giovanni

October 23rd, 2017 91104

Excellent, not pushy. on time with delivery did all paperwork for us

Website

October 23rd, 2017 1906

Poor. Never listened to what I wanted. Follow up weeks after when competitors were responding same day

Quincy

October 23rd, 2017 92706

Best reviewed so I decided to contact. Was told I would get a call back and never did. I got busy and never bothered to call either.

Bob

October 23rd, 2017 95461

very good initial impression. Then got only 1 call I said I was interested in solar panels on the ground. They only did roof panels. never heard from anyone else

Is it Horizon or SolarSpectrum

October 23rd, 2017 92240

I like the logo and the name, so I called for a quote. The girl I spoke to did not even want to talk to me unless I signed a document that was basically a contract. I don't care if it's standard procedure, it isn't one I am comfortable with. The company tried to assume I had agreed to purchasing their product before I had a quote.

James

October 23rd, 2017 Pittsburg, CA

They call way too often. Was getting calls every day, even though they were told not to call for a couple of weeks

October 23rd, 2017 Hanford, CA

they gave me the run around then said they don't serve my area. 2 people took all my info then made an appointment, then called and canceled because of my location. Learn to read maps

FJ

October 16th, 2017 Diamond Bar, CA

Everything was done by the deadline, but communication was poor.

October 16th, 2017 Fort Thomas, KY

It took a few times to get the system up and running

Roy Bayani

October 13th, 2017 Livermore, CA

I research the viability of having solar for my house as I am near my retirement age. I contacted Jeff L of Solar Spectrum. He is very professional and told me right at the beginning of our initial conversation that he wants it to work for me and there is no pressure to sign a contract if it will not work in my situation. Jeff is a great guy, a good communicator and he will not waste your time with sales talk. He tells it like it is. Thank you Jeff for being a professional. I will contact you as soon as I move to my new home after my retirement. Roy

Marvin Raymundo

October 10th, 2017

JD M: fast and helpful service! Didn't expect to come early.! Marvin Raymundo

Russ spica

September 29th, 2017 Riverside, CA

Just had our new solar installed. Andy and his crew did a top notch job, very professional nice clean install and cleaned up after themselves. Very friendly and easy to work with. Highly recommended, team Tesla!!!

James Loretta

September 25th, 2017

Scott sold me on Solar Spectrum; he was so knowledgeable and helpful and positive....exactly as he described, the Sunnymac install was superb....great equipment and an excellent crew.....Scott has been very available for all questions....he returns my calls immediately...don't lose him...he is an invaluable asset to your company!

Bill

September 25th, 2017 San Juan Capistrano, CA

Horizon put in my system 2 years ago. I had a great crew both on my roof and the panel/inverter installer. It has operated flawlessly. My bills for electricity have been about $70 each year. This past year I produced over 200 kwh more electricity than I used. I just had a service visit. It was not because I had a problem. Sun Run was not getting status information from my system even though everything was working properly. The technician changed their meter/transmitter so they were getting the production and status info properly. Great investment!!

Sarah

September 22nd, 2017

I was very happy with Horizen Solar and I am saving only and they were easy to work with. I would recommend them to any one in So Cal

Lailani Rice

September 19th, 2017 Murrieta, CA

Great customer service,..panels look good on my house. professional and clean. i have saved over 500 dollars in 3 months going solar with horizon.

Bill

September 18th, 2017 Covina, CA

There was a few issues along the way during install

Steve

September 18th, 2017

I liked how fast and efficient the project was done

Satisfied customer

September 18th, 2017 Desert Hot Springs, CA

I appreciated the emails on the progress of the project

Brandon

September 18th, 2017

They promised a quick and easy process. They delivered.

yousef bouno

September 18th, 2017 Chula Vista, CA

the salesman said 20 years warranty, the contract only says 10 years. they never followed up , nobody even showed up to explain how the system works, what maintenance it needs.

Ruben solis

September 18th, 2017 Corona, CA

Lack of communication lack of hearing customers concerns; do not return calls; solar panels have been down for over a week now and they still have not called me on the issue

Yadira Guzman

September 18th, 2017 Blythe, CA

Excellent representatives! They make the entire process of going solar easy and comfortable.

Kevin Nottke

September 18th, 2017

Too much to get into, long story short the company made me sign off that the project was complete when I knew the system didn't work.

The Lord of Wisdom

September 18th, 2017 Castro Valley, CA

Work was done quickly, and done right. Just lost speed at the end, when dealing with the city and final approvals, and I felt like communication regarding any delays with the city could have been better.

Maila Tibberts

September 14th, 2017 Riverside, CA

JD M Technician was great. Updated the solar panel system and explained well how it works. Now the system works great and I am able to monitor the system properly.

Ryan

September 14th, 2017 Chula Vista, CA

I had the pleasure of Eric to come to my house for a consult. He was straight forward and didn't make me feel pressured at all in to investing in solar. Andy and his crew (Tesla) was amazing!! From my understanding my house was a little more difficult then some but Andy and his crew handled it no problem! Andy was nice and VERY informative when telling me all about the system. He didn't make me feel clueless and dumb when I had any questions on the solar. Thank you again team tesla!!

Alison

September 13th, 2017 Lakeside, CA

After sitting down and reviewing different options, we decided Horizon Solar had a good timeline, and that they could get everything going in a quickly manner. Unfortunately, not everything has gone well. Their customer support is fair, but the service itself is not the best.

Doug

September 13th, 2017 Long Beach, CA

So far, the whole system has worked okay. The consultants we spoke to were very good, and I honestly thought it was the right company based on their presentations and information. I just think they're a very good and professional company.

Jeff

September 13th, 2017 Hesperia, CA

Dealing with them was pretty nice and fantastic. They answered all my questions and emails very quickly, and gave me all the information I need. The guys were just friendly professional and very personal. Regarding the system, so far, it's been fantastic! The process was very smooth and quick.

Robert

September 13th, 2017 Desert Hot Springs, CA

I appreciate the work they've done, they're pretty good. The system has worked just fine, and I've benefited a lot from their service.

Patricia

September 13th, 2017 San Jacinto, CA

My granddaughter had signed up with them a few months ago, and she was very happy with them. With that in mind, when they came out and answered all my questions, I was convinced they were the best choice. they're pretty trustworthy, and although I haven't had the system for long, I've had a positive experience with the system.

George

September 13th, 2017 Victorville, CA

Everything went perfectly, and although I haven't had to talk to their representatives, the system has worked just fine. they're a very trustworthy company.

Charles

September 13th, 2017 Hesperia, CA

Horizon Solar's customer support is actually great, and it wasn't hard to install their system. It works how it's supposed to work; plus, they offer great plans.

Carol

September 13th, 2017 Winchester, CA

I was very satisfied with the installation process, and I'd say We're extremely satisfied with the product itself. The technician that installed it was very efficient, and even matched the paint of our house identically; plus, he was very courteous. On top of that, the salesman was very persuasive. He showed me the facts and numbers, and helped me purchase the best plan for me to use. I'd definitely recommend them!

Isaac

September 13th, 2017 Fallbrook, CA

I absolutely love the system! It didn't take much time to set it all up, and overall, it's worked out just fine.

D.C.

September 13th, 2017 Hemet, CA

So far, the system has been good. My electricity went out a few days ago, and I wasn't sure if it was the solar company or my utility provider, but besides that, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Everything went well from the installation to actually operating the system.

September 13th, 2017 Yucca Valley, CA

The consultants were good, and the system has worked just fine. I actually decided to go with Horizon Solar because the service is not expensive, and so far, I've been satisfied with it.

Gregory

September 13th, 2017 Cathedral City, CA

The sales person I spoke to was one of the reasons I decided to go with Horizon as my solar company. He offered a great price, and the representatives I've spoken to have been excellent.

Judy

September 13th, 2017 Menifee, CA

We're satisfied with the installation process. The technicians were very professional, and they did a really good job as well. They cleaned up after themselves, at least for the most part, and got the job done. However, I do have to say that we spoke to a pretty pushy consultant.

Janet

September 13th, 2017 Twentynine Palms, CA

The first representative we spoke to was very good, in fact, we chose Horizon Solar because of him. The system works just fine, and I've already recommended this service to a couple of people.

John

September 13th, 2017 Hesperia, CA

So far, so good! The solar consultant I spoke to was very good, and the installation process was great. Overall, it's been a very good service.

John

September 13th, 2017 Fountain Valley, CA

Their consultant was excellent, and the equipment was great. Using the actual system has been pretty convenient as well, so I'd say it's been worth my money.

Joseph

September 13th, 2017 Santee, CA

After reading the good reviews they had online, I decided to go with them. So far, everything has worked just fine, and I haven't had any bad experiences.