**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. Read more about the merger and rebrand.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following eight states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

4.1

Thomas Matthews
September 10th, 2016 San Ramon, CA

You guys are the most unorganized solar bunch that I have dealt with out of the 4 or 5 that I have been in contact with. Even the patio cover company said the same thing to me. I don't understand why there is such miscommunication among the Sungevity team. Every time I talked to someone from Sungevity they acted like they had no clue of what was going on with my project. Do not use this company!!!

Patty and Richard Maier
August 15th, 2016 Palm Desert, CA

My Husband and I can not say enough about Horizon Solar Power. Everyone we worked with was professional, quick to answer our question and keep us well informed. Brita who was our project coordinator, made sure that we knew exactly what was happening and when and who was coming. It was great to have all that information! After our project was completed there was follow up to make sure we were happy and that we understood how our solar system worked. We have had no problems and have no problem recommending this company! Patty & Richard Rancho Mirage, Ca.

Michelle Kacy
August 12th, 2016 Williamstown, NJ

The man I spoke to from this company was a nice upbeat n friendly salesman but after they look at my property on Google maps they decided they didn't want to bother because I have trees. If they came to my house they would see that my roof is in direct Sun all day. One tree in the backyard can be trimmed but it does not hinder the sun. I even sent them photos, showing the sun shining on my roof, but still doesn't want to be bothered. I think it's tacky to use google maps considering the image they use is extremely outdated. At least I've found a few other companies who will actually come out and see with there own eyes.

Tim Goodrich
August 2nd, 2016 Winnetka, CA

Norma Aguila was very helpful keeping me informed of all the steps for getting my Solar installed. From having the roof review completed and then having the actual installation. Thanks so much NOrma

Richard bush
July 29th, 2016 Sacramento, CA

all the service has been great.

Jeff Tomlinson
July 28th, 2016 Granada Hills, CA

So far the customer service has been proficient and professional. I thank Roger and Britta for answering all my calls and explaining the process. This company has been honest and as an ARMY veteran I recommend to anybody Horizon Solar. I also recommend Myers Electric Company. Cliff did an awesome job with the electric, he is professional and polite. Thank you Cliff for a great job

Ellen Keller
July 26th, 2016 Hemet, CA

Norma was excellent in her assistance to get. My solar system up and running. I have recommended this company to many friends due to her professionalism and superior customer service.

Emma Gobaleza
July 26th, 2016 San Diego, CA

Norma and Raymund are the best. They are always there to help me with my problem or question regarding solar. They always come up with great solutions and they are both quick in everything that needs to be solved. Kudos to both of you!

Allan Mikolaycik
July 26th, 2016 Cedar Park, TX

We are extremely happy with our Horizon Solar. The initial process, install, and representative ,Norma , were all very qualified and showed well for their company. We definitely tell our friends how well we are pleased with our solar, and tell them of Horizon.

Dr. Devi Nambudripad
July 26th, 2016 Huntington Beach, CA

Your service was outstanding. We are enjoying the Solar system fully. Our monthly electricity bill has gone down beyond my expectation. You also have excellent customer service team, who is ready help t any time. Whenever I had a question whenever I called your office you responded promptly and answered my questions. Norma was the name I remember to help me out at different times. There were others too. I don't remember their names. But Norma was always helpful.

Hill
July 26th, 2016 Chatsworth, CA

Prompt friendly easy to work with. No problems.

Malcolm Harris
July 25th, 2016 Barstow, CA

My experience with Horizon Solar was the best I ever had. Everything went accordance plain without any problem at all. Ms. Norma Aguila was great in keep me inform of what was going on, also she gave me great customer service. I will like to thank your company for having her work with me. Again Thx

Eileen Welch
July 25th, 2016 Murrieta, CA

From beginning to end they were very professional with the installation the guys that showed up were absolutely great kept the noise down to a minimal very clean and fast to install, the inspection was also fast friendly and my solar was approved to connect the very next day after inspection. We are very happy that we made the right decision in picking sungevity and would highly recommend them !

Will Neate
July 20th, 2016 Summit, NJ

The company didn't even want to pursue an installation on my 10 acre property ! Claimed my large flat roof wouldn't work but I suspect that my desire to derive some economic benefit by selling back to the grid didn't fit their model. Also stated that they don't do installations on the ground

Diane Williams
July 19th, 2016 Yucca Valley, CA

After over a year of researching solar companies, options, costs, etc., we chose to work with Horizon Solar. Seth answered all our questions, gave us plenty of information, and an opportunity to decide. We did not feel pressured into anything. Working with Norma in the home office, as well as all the wonderful folks that came out to inspect and install made us feel confident we made the right decision. We got our PTO (permission to operate) from So CA Edison. We just got our first electric bill in from them for 11 days. Our bill was a whopping .42 cents. Yes, that's cents not dollars. The massive savings we are enjoying will not only pay for the equipment many times over, but will enable us to make more enhancements. Best decision we ever made, and best company we could have chosen. Thank you, Horizon Solar, Seth, and Norma! Great job, folks!!!!

Robert Davis
July 19th, 2016 Newark, DE

After researching solar companies in my area I decided that Sungevity would provide the best customer service and results for my home. Its a bit ironic that I went with Sungevity because I work for a big box hardware store that sells Solar City services and Sungevity is sold by our big competitor. All in all I am completely satisfied with the sales people and the installation crew that I delt with. The sales person talked to me for hours and explained the different types of purchasing from lease to buying out right and I decided to purchase and get a solar loan. I know from the Sales person what my offset would be and the savings would be down the road from the information supplied to me that was specific to my home. My system was just powered up on July 12 and every day my wife and I check the KWH generated from the Sungevity app on the phone. I wish I had gone solar years ago but as the saying goes "Better late than never"

Julian Dixon
July 19th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

Solar Panels installed check! Ready to see those SAVINGS check!! Peace of mind provided by Lilly words cannot describe...Thank you so much for your support during this install.

Grace Aviles
July 19th, 2016 Chino, CA

The installation process was excellent; project manager Shawn and Brita, Project Coordinator were professional and provided excellent customer service,

Vanessa
July 18th, 2016 Santa Ana, CA

Solar installed & it took 3 months to actually get it running?! I was forgotten about, I had to pursue why it wasn't running- no authorization to operate!! Several emails NOT answered- several phone calls & multiple people coming out to take pictures, it FINALLY is fully working!! This was ridiculous- 3 months?! I am angry & would not recommend this company.

Wendi Hurley
July 18th, 2016 Laguna Hills, CA

Horizon Solar made our change to solar the easiest transition ever! Lilly Henderson was our project manager. She was easy to get a hold of, easy to work with, and walked us through every step in the process. We highly recommend Horizon and Lilly!

Doris benn
July 18th, 2016

Things can move a little faster

jason pfutzenreuter
July 15th, 2016 Fontana, CA

Everything has gone smooth with my solar. The savings are awesome. The panels look great on the house also. Thanks to Brita Richardson for taking care of my questions.

Olga Marquez
July 12th, 2016 Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I went with Horizon after interviewing a whole slew of other companies and found Horizon to be the most cost effective. I have been running on solar for 4 months now and have not had any issues. I love I am paying a fixed amount and not having to worry that my bill is going to be sky high due to the heat wave we've had. from the sales to the installation everything went smooth. Jeremy was awesome as well as the other team members.

Fernando Bartolome
July 12th, 2016 Newport Beach, CA

Norma ****** is very instrumental in getting our solar on target and on time. I really enjoyed working with Norma ******'* excellent customer service.

Luis F Brum
July 12th, 2016 La Mesa, CA

great service. my involvement was minimal, and was done 1 month ahead of schedule. no pressure and with my best interest in my mind. thanks

Charles Galbasin
July 12th, 2016 Venice, CA

I am extremely happy with Horizon and all of the contact people from our initial sale with Russ Kingery to the installation team all promises were kept and the installation was clean and not the least evasive to our us. I would like to mention that our contacts at Horizon during the installation phase and what seemed and interminable wait for the city and SCE to give their stamp of approval Norma ****** and Natalie ****** were most pleasant and I would have to give them both a rating of 9 (never give a 10) in customer service in retuning calls promptly and always courteous and helpful. The whole experience has so far be most pleasant.

Keith Noland
July 11th, 2016 San Diego, CA

very good. haven't been billed yet. is it too early for this review?

HT Tran
July 11th, 2016 Carlsbad, CA

My project coordinator Norma Aguila was very poor in customer services.

Lourdes C MARLANG
July 11th, 2016 Chula Vista, CA

It was Great choice that I pick this Co. Horizon Solar....I don't have to do much.... cost me $0...to have them install my Solar...so great specialist consultant...Eric Lingren was so good for what he do...any questions I may ask will answered...I got my rebate top $$....but if u have to open account & lease it with them Solar for now... just making sure your credit is good...been paying $500/mo. Elec. Before Versus $178/mo. With Horizon...who u think I pick...

Thomas Hand
July 11th, 2016 Acton, CA

Horizon is the best. The crew was timely, courteous, and informed every step of the process. Norma was outstanding! She was constantly calling me informing me the entire time of "what's next" We had some hiccups with an obstinate inspector but the Horizon team got us through it and Norma scheduled two crews to get it done and make up for the delays caused by the city. My bill this past month was $488.00. My billing period started June 16th and I was put online June 26th My projected SCE bill shows a negative $3.00 and rising daily

Patty Wharton
July 11th, 2016 San Diego, CA

I am sending this in only because I received a request to do so twice. I found Norma Aguila to be condescending and self serving. I was very put off by her unprofessional behavior during two separate telephone conversations. During one of these conversations she let me know that it was almost five o clock and she was trying to leave making it quite obvious where her priorities were....and that wasn't with me.....the customer. My questions were not adequately answered by her and I had to resort to being frustrated and contact Michael **** who always returned my calls and answered my concerns in a timely, professional manner. Honestly, i was very close to canceling and going with one of your competitors.

Sharon Young
July 11th, 2016 Blythe, CA

Had an issue and Horizon service man took care of it as soon as they knew about it. Service man was polite, informed and willing to do what ever was need to resolve the problem. He also actually listened to what I had to say and. Responded accordingly. My experience with Horizon was positive!!!

Gary Mason
July 11th, 2016 Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

i picked "10" above for each of the two departments marked. 1 is for sales. 2 is for CSR. My personal background is in customer support and service, face to face! 30 plus years. 1. Sales Rep. Was Kalene, I am sorry I do not remember her last name. Kalene IS GREAT! No other way to say it. If today I still operated my own business, I would take Kalene from you folks! That simple as to how greatl Kalene really is. I told this point to her supervisor and he said that he did not understand how I could do that sort of thing. Oh well some got it -Kalene, some don't got it -her supervisor! 2. CSR ... The first CSR assigned to my project, I don't remember her name and I am NOT sorry, after I spoke with Kalene about her, next day I had new CSR assigned, Norma. Okay that is the last of how good Kalene is. Now it is about Norma ... Please pay attention here, remember my 30 plus years in the CSR field myself. Few words to say a whole lot! IF 25% of your people in your CSR group were 50% as GREAT at their job as Norma is, your CSR department would be 1000 times better then it is today! Now I know that the math above does now add up correctly, it is ment to be symbolic In nature only, and if someone in your company gets carried away with the fact the numbers do not add up correctly, THAT individual should be replaced, as they will never understand what I am trying to say about how GOOD and GREAT a CSR person, Norma really is. Thank you If any questions please call Gary Mason

Thomas Hand
July 11th, 2016 Acton, CA

The entire Horizon team was outstanding. Norma was the standout performer informing me throughout the entire process from start to finish! We had some hiccups with difficult inspectors but the team made up for the lost time by sending 2 crews to expedite my installation. Installers were showed up as promised and were clean and courteous. I am enjoying a negative $$ projected bill. I will recommend Horizon to everyone that I know.

Bill and Nancy Slaff
July 11th, 2016

We don't know when we have had a group of workers so sociable, helpful, quick, and knowledgeable. They were fun to have on our property, even though they spent their time working, they always had time to stop and visit and we just felt comfortable around them. We never felt uncomfortable about leaving our house/property with them here alone. Never had to oversee the team of workers. Norma Aguilar always kept us apprised as to what was coming next or if we had a question she would help as soon as possible to answer or resolve. All in all, a really great company and group of people.

Samuel Trussell
July 11th, 2016 Beaumont, CA

Norma Aguilar did a fine job handling my questions and concerns during installation and start-up for my solar power system.

James Mross

July 11th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

Great friendly service. Norma ****** was on top of everything

Lois Cissell
July 7th, 2016 Palm Desert, CA

Horizon Solar knows their business very well. The explanation of the services through installation and project staff was always prompt and helpful.

John P Aufhammer
July 5th, 2016 Ashburn, VA

Horizon Solar has been an excellent contractor & provider for our solar needs. A couple individuals stand out as being key success factors in our solar purchase & installation: * Melissa Pomilla: As Horizon's sales rep, she provided much needed education to us on residential solar. Her timeliness through out the entire process from sales meeting, to contract completion, to updates on installation planning and to follow up after installation have all been excellent. She was always available to answer my multiple questions. Melissa is the BEST! * Norma Aguila: She provide excellent customer support from the Horizon office. Norma's responsiveness and initiative in dealing with us gave us a peace that even after we requested several design changes that our contracts would be timely and accurate. And they indeed were. She also kept us informed of all relevant information leading up to our installation. Thanks Norma! I highly recommend Horizon Solar....

Tom Noce
July 5th, 2016 Palm Springs, CA

I am not one that typically writes online reviews, but in this case I felt it necessary to write one. After dealing with four or five solar salesman from companies that will remain unnamed I was frustrated with the industry overall. Their lack of professionalism and in many cases knowledge of their own product was unacceptable. I thought solar was not going to happen until I received a call from Seth Bruins from Horizon Solar. I warned him it would be a tough sell. His professionalism, and his willingness not to BS me with company marketing fluff close the deal that day. Their team guided me through HOA and other necessary approvals, Their installation team showed up on time, did a great job with as little disruption as possible. Their roof and production guarantees were also important to my decision. Since April we have produced in excess of of guaranteed production. My Palm Springs area electric bills were outrageous I couldn't be happier with my new Horizon Solar System. I've been telling all my friends and neighbors about it...Did I mention about their referral program!.

Debbe McCall
July 5th, 2016 Murrieta, CA

I was a late comer to solar (2 years ago). From start to finish, Horizon Solar made it smooth and easy. They kept the schedule, handled all the permits and contractors, finished on time *and* cleaned up after themselves. Brita Richardson was always available by phone and email to answer questions and intervene, even after installation was complete. Last year, I paid $200 for electricity. Not per month, for the year! In a two story house with dual AC/heating units. Certainly beats the $300-600 per month I used to pay.

Charles S Smith
July 5th, 2016 Joshua Tree, CA

I have been on Solar now since February 2016 and it has been great. Brita Richardson was instrumental in the coordination of getting my system installed. She did an excellent job. Everyone from my sales rep, Seth Bruins all the way to the installation and turn up have been great. On the downside, I have experienced a failure of the system which started June 1, 2016. I didn't notice it until the 28th of June. I reported it to SunRun who I have to go through but they didn't get it to Horizon Solar until today, July 5th. Horizon Solar responded as soon as they got the information and were here within a couple of hours. The technician determined that the Invertor was defective and had to be replaced. So now I am off the solar and will be using my credits that I had built up with SCE to cover the cost of July which is on track to be at least $170.00 as of right now. This is a good reason to keep your credits with SCE so when something happens you have the cost covered. I still highly recommend Horizon Solar Power for installation and maintenance.

Karen Estes
July 1st, 2016 Chula Vista, CA

Brita Richardson, the Project Coordinator at Horizon Solar does her job excellently. I believe she has a check off sheet because ever time I spoke with her she knew the stage of my project. I am satisfied with my installation. I strongly suggest that you do your research when you buy. Also, I was not bombarded with phone calls, because I was ready to buy.

Boomer Rang
July 1st, 2016 Reston, VA

Horizon Solar did an outstanding installation of our solar system. Communication throughout the process was outstanding. I was kept inform on every step. The installers did an outstanding job of clearing up afterwards. They were very polite and also answered any question that I had. Billing was setup for automatic which is great! I have recommended this company to friends. Norma Aguila, Project Coordinator, kept the line of communication open and kept me well informed every step of the way through the process. Thank you very much.

Estelle and John Foster
July 1st, 2016 Ojai, CA

Communicating with Norma Agulla prior to our Horizon Solar installation was one of the benefits of Horizon Solar. Norma was there, on the phone, to help us with changes in timing and delivery. She definitely made things easier and always called back promptly. She is an asset to Horizon Solar. It was great working with her and she was one of the things that made us want to recommend Horizon Solar….Customer Service! J. foster

Mr. & Mrs. Larry Larson
July 1st, 2016 Huntington Beach, CA

Customer service was exceptional! Norma Aguila, the project manager, called regularly to keep us apprised of every aspect of the installation. The installers were timely and neat and very organized. I would highly recommend Horizon Solar power.

Luis Cesar Buis
July 1st, 2016 Moreno Valley, CA

Norma Aguila and Dean where really nice during the hole project,she keeps an open line of comunication at all times...and Dean was always there when i call him....Thank's

John
June 29th, 2016 Irvine, CA

I normally do not take the time to write a review, but after installing Solar panels from Horizon Solar just had to say "Thank you" Horizon Solar! ***** ******* was exceptional in resolving an issue that really proved how Horizon stands behind their product and promises. My electric bill was significantly reduced, and their products and services are outstanding. Thanks *****! Dr. John L..