**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. Read more about the merger and rebrand.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers cover the cost of the system and solar panel installation upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their solar systems, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise the solar provider for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering switching to clean energy with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following eight states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

Laurie

February 24th, 2017 South Dartmouth, MA

They were absolutely wonderful. The technicians were great! They did everything as they said and did everything on schedule. I'm saving money with my solar panels and helping the endangered planet to survive a little bit longer. Installation was great - just what they said it was. They did an excellent job, definitely the best solar company. I've recommending them to everybody. I investigated a lot of solar companies and this is the one that's definitely the most reliable, has the best product and does the best follow up on it.

Eve Duddy

February 24th, 2017 Capistrano Beach, CA

Our solar system is good - we haven't have any problems. They were very responsive to any questions we their overall plan was very thorough. It took a little longer but I don't think that was their fault, I think it was just a matter of timing and I think they were very busy with installation so the whole process took a little longer than we thought it would set them. It's been running within a few months and it's working fine.

Kirk Levitt

February 24th, 2017 Whitesboro, NY

They had good advertisement. Their installation team was phenomenal. They installed it less than half a day and I have a big system and they very professional and cleaned up. I'm very happy with the company, I'm on my 3rd year.

Karen Cann

February 24th, 2017 Petaluma, CA

Their customer service folks could use some training in troubleshooting. I think that they need to shorten the time between when they find a problem with the solar producing and to notify folks sooner. And also they need to be quicker fixing the system.

Gilberto Oterolozano

February 24th, 2017 Escondido, CA

Installation was fine, it was fast and they had no problems. The only thing is there's a lot of tools that they left out the house. The system works fine but it's not enough for our needs so we still have a little bit of money we have to pay to the power company. They had an incredible presentation. They used an electronic presentation where you can set it to your computer and a person will talk to you over the phone. The field director was excellent- very knowledgeable. They were very customer service oriented, arrived on time, and were easy to access. They gave us their cellphone numbers if we had questions and they were very prompt about getting back to us if we have a little voice mail. They were just very responsive, very knowledgeable and very warm in welcoming.

Ward Hinds

February 24th, 2017 Concord, CA

I appreciate getting the updates from them recording our energy productions, which I think they send that out monthly.

Mary Mccanta

February 24th, 2017 Oakland, CA

They had the right price for the technology that we wanted. My experience with them was great, they were very responsive. Project managers were on top of things. We really like how we can monitor it from the web so we appreciate the web connection as time goes on.

Valerie Murphy

February 24th, 2017 Rocklin, CA

Sungevity is the only company that said they would replace it, free of cost. They warranted all our parts, not most of the part. So far, so good. I'm very happy. I have not had the chance to see how good they are in the warranty because nothing is broken.

Peter Getzoni

February 24th, 2017 Napanoch, NY

Don't have any problems and it's doing what it's supposed to.

Jeff Lambert

February 24th, 2017 Cromwell, CT

The cost is what made me decide to go with Sungevity. Things have been good.

Wayne Entwistle

February 24th, 2017 North Dartmouth, MA

I haven't had much contact with them since it's been put in. Nobody really calls here or anything from Sungevity to see how things are going. Installation was fine. I got things fixed. The electric company came by and realize what the problem was and if it hadn't been caught I could have had a fire in the house so then Sungevity had them come back and check out everything. It was a mistake, but it was mistake that could have cost on my house, I wasn't happy with that part of it. The installation, everything else was fine I have no complaints except for that one thing.

Donald Jones

February 24th, 2017 Florida, NY

They were the most professional in presentation and what they had to offer. But overall, it's probably disappointing. I don't think that it was working in the long run, I don't seen the value or the benefit yet. They promise a lot of things and they don't follow through.

Raymond Mitchell

February 24th, 2017 Fall River, MA

We didn't get off to a good start, but since they fixed the problem that was existing I've been very pleased with this service. It's been a huge savings for my family with Sungevity as to the classify electricity and the overall experience.

Cia French

February 24th, 2017 Yuma, AZ

It's wonderful that they offer the leasing program for the people who can not afford PB systems.

Joan Peterdi

February 24th, 2017 Norwalk, CT

I just say, go with Sungevity if you possibly can. They were expert in handling all the equipment from the city. I didn't have to do a thing they just handled it all beautifully.

William Taylor

February 24th, 2017 Barclay, MD

They worked very smooth and handled everything from start to finish. The salesperson was great for getting the panels on my roof. We're very happy with it, there are times that I don't have to pay for the power company.

Karen Hill

February 24th, 2017 Chico, CA

I recommend going with Sungevity. I think it saves you money and that was the objective, to save money so it's a good deal. They were very good, they basically did everything and I didn't have to do a thing other than if they had a question they asked me, but they basically took care of everything.

Charles Stone

February 24th, 2017 Cathedral City, CA

I'm extremely happy with the outcome of the whole process, there's a considerable amount of money pay back under 4 years. Their follow up has been tremendous, their half that they have that's been monitoring my system is excellent.

Ernest Dube

February 24th, 2017 Fairhaven, MA

Everything's been very good with them. When I call with questions, they've been very helpful.

John Hill

February 24th, 2017 Anaheim, CA

I was really impressed. The team was wonderful, I was really really surprised because I have a lot of trouble with contractors in the past and this was just really refreshing. They were extremely accommodating, it was really nice. If there's one weakness in Sungevity, it is the availability of the information. I'm not able to directly connect into the system and everything that's done online with them. They have relatively limited reporting and usually behind a couple of weeks but that's really relatively minor.

Vincent Avallone

February 24th, 2017 Hyde Park, NY

Seems to be working very well, we haven't had any problem. We only came across one issue with them and that was the referral. We had a neighbor that was 3 houses away from us that got the Sungevity system right after us, and we had hoped to get the $500 or thousand dollar referral fee that they offer. That was our only concern...We were hoping to get the referral fee and they didn't give it to us.

Gerald Stetson

February 24th, 2017 West Bridgewater, MA

Our consultant was relatively okay. They changed personnel too many times, I never know who I was talking to.

Eric Waterman

February 24th, 2017 Upland, CA

Everything with our system has been smooth and the service was been excellent. Best price and best service!

Howard Spinner

February 24th, 2017 San Ramon, CA

The setup was great. After a few years, they had a picnic barbecue nearby and they invited us. Along the way, we talked to customers and employees. This was back in 2014 and it was just terrific, they were very knowledgeable they gave out materials and souvenirs you know thing we should use.

Barry Hunt

February 24th, 2017 Chadwicks, NY

The installation was very quick, very good, very neat.

Marilyn Manning

February 24th, 2017 Phoenicia, NY

I'm 100% in favor of this wonderful company. The team was terrific!

Jane Cordingley

February 24th, 2017 Concord, CA

I interviewed 3 different solar companies and they had the best explanation for the service I would get and the support I would get. They installers were incredible, they were immaculate. Everything was set very clean and neat. They were prompt and very polite, they even get me a table down from the top of my garage 'cause I couldn't reach it. I've been very pleased. It's been 5 months this year that I had no electric bill. The service has been good and I went from above $250 a month in electric $0.

Melani Vanpetten

February 24th, 2017 Oakland, CA

It's been fine, no problems at all. It really cut my electric bill

Philip Brandt

February 24th, 2017 Bronx, NY

They did a good job. It's working well and they have kept in contact with me about how it's doing.

Anthony Messina

February 24th, 2017 Dover, DE

They've been very helpful and every time I had a question, they'd answer it. The system looks great.

Lynnda Shepherd

February 24th, 2017 Bonita, CA

We love Sungevity and our solar system! Consultant was excellent and we are satisfied with the install.

Cheyenne Cute

February 24th, 2017 Cortland, NY

Early on, I had some issues, but they took care of it and I haven't had any issues since.

Joseph Westfall

February 24th, 2017 Montrose, NY

My experience with our solar consultant was very positive- they guided me along the whole process.

Daniel Frink

February 24th, 2017 Davis, CA

Working with Sungevity has been trouble free and we are satisfied. I think the price is reasonable.

Pichou Etinde

February 24th, 2017 Bristol, CT

Installation was long, but eventually got done. They have the best deal.

Cheryl Garrett

February 24th, 2017 Ventura, CA

There's no problem and the system works as I was told it would work. They have the right payment plan and a good product that had a long warranty. They're also easy to communicate with.

Joseph Desena

February 24th, 2017 Barnegat, NJ

Sungevity is excellent. They have great follow up.

James Wellnitz

February 24th, 2017 Poway, CA

Getting everything set up took a little while, they had a few set back so it took longer than it probably should have, but they apologized and they even sent a small gift card for the extra wait...everything is working fine now. I like their online tracking of the performance so we can see how we're doing and and see how much the difference in the sun and the length of the phase in terms of how much the power it create.

Angelo Cappos

February 24th, 2017 Bonita, CA

I think one of the best features was the after purchased customer service.

William Griswold

February 24th, 2017 San Diego, CA

I like working with Sungevity's online tools they made it easy to research the system, I like their sales representatives and in some way the pricing arrangement was very favorable. The savings on my electrical bill have been amazing and basically we haven't had some electrical bills for three years which is, been a real pleasure. Sungevity used local contractors, which I like, so they were enhancing the ongoing business of existing contractors. They were very nice to work with. There were some issues on scheduling because there's so many types of contractors to bring in, but you know you're going have a lot work and it worked out great. The actual system is fantastic, it's basically trouble free. At one point we had a failure with the network communications device, the solar system talks over the internet, but we had people come out and fix it, it's been great.

Kathleen Pead

February 24th, 2017 Orangevale, CA

I had a problem where my equipment is no longer collecting energy and it took them a very long time to get it fixed so I was not happy with the repair service. Other than that, the overall experience was good.

Theresa Patton

February 24th, 2017 Mineola, NY

They gave an excellent consultation. They made it incredibly easy taking care of everything from permits to question. They were really very thorough and very good. We referred them and we've had friends who have already used them as well.

Peter Allen

February 24th, 2017 Griswold, CT

Sungevity is excellent. Went with them for their price and the leasing options.

Thelma Gwin

February 24th, 2017 Milton, DE

Our contacts were excellent! They explained everything, they went out of their way to make sure we understood what's involved, and exactly what it would cost us and everything. Even to this day I know if something should go wrong, they're right there and they'll send someone to take care of it. They did a beautiful job, I highly recommended them.

Marty Larsen

February 24th, 2017 El Dorado Hills, CA

They were better than the other companies solar consultants. I'm electrical engineer so I could tell the difference; that was the other reason why I gave them additional consideration. Their pricing was better than as well. This past summer the only amount I had to pay was 2 dollars and 58 cents for the whole summer in electric.

John F Flood

February 24th, 2017 Bridgeville, DE

Installation was fabulous. There are one or two other solar companies in our area that I wouldn't let walk on my property - that's how bad they are - and yet they still do work. But Sungevity is the class of a solar. Every part of their company is responsive, full of information, answers things all the way. Everything that they promise came true.

Van Nguyen

February 24th, 2017 West Sacramento, CA

We went with Sungevity for the cost. We had a good experience.

BP

February 24th, 2017 La Palma, CA

Our salesperson was professional and answered all the questions carefully and did everything he said he would. Then the installation was flawless. I recommend them. They've done a good job for us and I think anybody should give them a try.

John Campbell

February 24th, 2017 Benicia, CA

Everything went as planned and went really quickly. A lot faster that I expected. They did a good job

Allen Hanford

February 24th, 2017 Carver, MA

For 5 years I've been trying to get solar collectors and everybody said they couldn't do it and Sungevity said they could. They predicted what amount of the electricity I would get and it is more than they predicted so that was good. I had a little trouble sometimes getting all of people there and keeping track of what was going on, but over all it was good.