Cayan

8.5

Note: Cayan was acquired by TSYS in 2017.

Cayan is a payment processor and credit card processor company that identified a way to streamline equipment purchases while providing reasonable rates to benefit small businesses. Founded in 1998, Cayan is credited with being the first to build its own mobile application to accept credit card transactions and certify what is known today as point-to-point encrypted card readers. Cayan is currently one of the most trusted payment processing and merchant account providers in the nation. Headquartered in Massachusetts, the company's forward-looking statements reveal plans to accelerate growth through its acquisition by TSYS.

The Good

• Affordable Pricing and Good Customer Service
  • Innovative Technology
  • Genius Platform
  • No Cancellation Fees
  • Helpful Website

Affordable Pricing and Good Customer Service

When it comes to pricing and fees, Cayan credit card processing is fair and competitive. The best way to double check whether a company's pricing and fees structure is fair is to check its merchant services reviews. The merchant accounts company does charge anywhere from $0.00 to $7.95 monthly fees for its services, and other costs and fees are as follows:

• Online transaction fees: Starting percentage of 0.28% plus $0.25 per debit transaction and 1.98% plus $0.19 per credit transaction
  • POS transaction fees: Starting percentage of 0.28% plus $0.25 per debit transaction and 1.98% plus $0.19 per credit transaction
  • Mobile payment fees: Starting percentage of 0.28% plus $0.25 per debit transaction and 1.98% plus $0.19 per credit transaction

In addition to clearly stating its various fees, Cayan boasts a helpful and friendly customer service department whose phone lines are open 24/7. Those who would like to chat online with a customer service representative also have that option every day from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M.

Innovative Technology

Cayan credit card processing is well-known for its ability to adapt and innovate, meaning merchants who want to provide their customers with the ability to make credit card payments will be able to do exactly that; the company has led the industry in a number of transaction processing and payment gateway advancements and has created credit-card processing platforms to help cater its products to best suit a company's needs. Cayan provides three different transaction platforms for business owners to choose from. While each one varies in terms of exactly what is offered and the associated costs, the unparalleled level of support and security from Cayan remains the same. The platforms are broken down as follows:

Genius: Fully integrated POS platform designed for a wide range of business types

• Payment and transaction flexibility: Allows customers to pay with regular credit or debit cards, gift/loyalty cards, chip cards (EMV), or mobile applications (Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc.)
  • Customizable features: Allows customers to pay with regular credit or debit cards, loyalty/gift cards (American Express gift card, Vanilla Visa gift card, Roblox gift card, etc.), chip cards (EMV), or mobile applications (Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc.)
  • On-screen marketing: Includes a dashboard/interface that provides advertising and loyalty program abilities
  • Robust security and EMV: Takes advantage of tokenization and encryption to protect customers' financial information in an effort to reduce data breaches and fraud
  • Countertop enhancements: Cuts out multiple hardware components to offer an all-in-one solution (which could process credit card payments, mobile payments, etc.)
  • Business management: Includes services such as offline processing, remote updates, merchant warehouse and inventory tracking, and intelligent PIN steering technology to help businesses grow

Flex: Straightforward and easy-to-set-up platform that allows for online management

• Merchant services: Eliminates long-term contracts and offers simple credit card processing methods
  • 24/7 support: Provides technical and customer support around the clock and encourages customer engagement
  • Merchant portal: Offers access to a number of reports and self-service support tools
  • PCI compliance service package: Brings and keeps a business up to code in terms of PCI compliance

Enterprise: Open-source platform that provides customizable and scalable commerce solutions

• Point of sale: Minimizes integration changes and allows for new payment methods and transaction options
  • Mobile: Provides seamless and highly secure payment processing through mobile apps
  • Online: Allows for complete app or website management through an API

Genius Platform

The Genius platform offered by Cayan is not just built for business owners. Developers also appreciate the strides Cayan has made to create a product that seamlessly integrates and processes transactions. With a number of integration options, Cayan offers POS developers access to both NFC and EMV payments. Additionally, developers can take advantage of intense security and support.

No Cancellation Fees

One of the concerns with most merchants/clients is the tendency for companies to "tie you in" with large cancellation fees and long contracts. Potential Cayan customers don't have to worry about this; the company does not currently charge a cancellation fee or early termination fee for its payment technology and services.

Helpful Website

Cayan's website rivals the largest merchant service companies in the industry simply because of its sheer depth of helpful content. The site has a blog, guides for new merchants, and even a glossary that includes information and definitions of more complex payment processing terms like interchange fees, integrated point-of-sale systems (IPOSs), and MerchantWare gateway.

The Bad

• Lack of Transparency on Website
  • Billing Issues/Problems with Merchant Service

Lack of Transparency on Website

Although Cayan does provide a number of helpful resources and articles about payment processing on its website, there is no information to be found about contracts. This is important information that potential customers typically like to know before they decide to do business with a company, so this lack of transparency can be frustrating.

Billing Issues/Problems with Merchant Service

Cayan does receive a good amount of positive reviews, but many of the negative customer reviews floating around the web (on social media, on Best Company, and on other review sites) concern issues with billing. This concentration on billing problems likely means that customers either are being charged incorrectly or weren't informed about certain payment processor charges. Though a quick look at Cayan reveals a well-organized merchant accounts company, you may want to research into such complaints yourself. Other complaints concern various issues with equipment and day-to-day merchant service.

The Bottom Line

Cayan offers affordable pricing and is upfront about its transaction fees. The company also boasts payment solutions and innovative payment technology, including the Genius platform for both businesses and developers. However, the company is not transparent about contract information on its website. To find this contract payment information, consumers are encouraged to contact the company and thoroughly research the company's merchant services reviews. Cayan has the potential to have a competitive advantage within the merchant services industry. We highly recommend potential clients and merchants consider Cayan's quality of credit card payment processing services against other merchant account providers.

View Best Merchant Account Service Companies

Rhonda Hodges Riverside, CA

Hard to contact on phone if there is a dispute. They are nice people on the phone if you manage after hours of being pushed between TYSYS and them. but when they say they will correct the situation, nothing is done in fact my bank account was hit again!!!. It broke my heart, left me minus $416 since Feb March and yet I have had zero transaction with my customers because of COVID and closure of our Farmers market and so being broke as it is and then this ruthlessness going into my bank account whether its TYSYS or what not Im not sure but too many parties they all point to one another and no one takes responsibility. I ffeel pushed around and robbed.

John Rochester, NY

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE! THEY ARE CROOKS. I was told my office could delay everything until we were ready to go live with one of their partners. Our office put aside online payments for almost 2 years. When we were finally ready to go live I found out we had been being charged for almost 2 years almost $1000. We never made a single transaction with the service. The salesman lied to me on the phone....turns out they will not release the recording of the conversation I had with this salesperson. AVOID!!!

F Claussen Minneapolis, MN

My account is with TSYS, don't know how they are connected to Cyan. But....BEWARE of TSYS!! They may have low processing rates, but they make their money on FEES!! SO many fees! OMG, I never saw so many fees from any company in all my 35 years in business! Plus, what they say on this website is mostly LIES! They advertise: NO Long-Term contracts: Truth: I found out one year in that my term was for 3 years, I was never told that, anywhere. They say No Termination fee, Truth: They wanted to charge me $500.00 for a termination fee after my business closed down after one year. Stay away from this company!!

Brian James Palm Coast, FL

Cayan is a terrible credit card processor. Avoid them at all costs. They will continue charging monthly fees long after you close your account. They will promise refunds of unauthorized fees - in writing - and then they never arrive even after 3 follow up calls. If you want to leave your credit card processing up to a group of corporate thieves then choose Cayan and you will probably find you are being charged all kinds of extra, hidden fees. BONUS - if you use them for Amex CC processing you can expect your payouts to take 2-3 business days longer than every other major credit card processing company.

Henry cook Houston, TX

I was a customer for over 2.5 years without an issue and even gave good reviews on their service. Not anymore. I closed my business and tried to cancel my account and now the problems are mounting. Early termination fee which I contested and even had an employee tell me was not justified, yet they still took the money out of my checking account. Another ACH for another year of service after I cancelled. I was promised a refund but nothing has materialized. Numerous phone calls, being switched to other departments, dropped calls; don't know where else to turn. They lie and steal.

MOUNTAIN STAR El Paso, TX

TERRIBLE service. they never give you a direct answer, always try going around the questions. they hook you in, and then all of sudden they start tacking all kinds of fees. ok for a large corporation, but horrible for a small business. STAY AWAY FROM CAYAN

Hilla Van Nuys, CA

HORRIBLE! horrible customer service! horrible knowledge of workers. Was placed on hold 3 times then disconnected cuz the 3 people who answer the phone have no clue about their product! This company keeps changing apps keep telling me they are migrating for 2 year. BS at is best!

Lacey Fisher McKinney, TX

This company has been one of the worst I have worked with. They are dishonest and withhold information. I would caution anyone looking for a merchant processor to do their research and when they think they have it figured out, then do more research. The sales representative I worked with was dishonest the whole way through. They may say no hidden fees but they will not accurately explain the entire process and hope you do not do your due diligence and review your statement. The customer service individuals I worked with were great. But when I escalated the situation, decisions are out of their hands so no matter how helpful they are there isn't much they can do to right being given misinformation and changing numbers on contracts without detailed explanation.

Mark Stoneberger Geneseo, IL

Constantly having to solve problems they have.

Mike Kyle, TX

They are annoying and wont stop contacting me

Reuben Laws New Orleans, LA

This company is terrible. I used them with two of my companies through lightspeed. They didn’t have a way to make online sales use a CVV code. Are you kidding me! They also couldn’t get me chip ready terminals after a year of trying. So I went with another company and now they are hitting me with the early termination fees. My advice...don’t use them.

William S Prattville, AL

I had been with Cayan for a two years with no problems, no chargebacks and no customer complaints. I shut down for a year due to health issues. The first of March I applied for a new account and it was approved within a couple days. Then the problems began. It took another 10 days or so to receive my authorize.net creditials and another two or so days to get my account information for the Cayan portal. I was up and running at the end of the month and asked my sales rep (Kevin A.) what I needed to do if I wanted to sell at local fairs and flea markets. He gladly signed me up for yet another account with mobile swipe (SwipeSimple) and I got a reader via UPS after a couple more days. I had made sales and received the money just as always then another employee and I inquired about certain products being added to our line (inquiry only - not added to the site). This caused my account to immediately get terminated with no explanation of why and I was told that there was NO appeal and all decisions are final. I called and emailed Kevin A. at Cayan - he would not answer or return email. The risk manager (Chris K.) that terminated the account would not answer the phone and only returned an email saying those products were High Risk (Products NOT added to site I only made an inquiry). So after spending time designing my site, purchasing over $1000 of merchandise, adding products to my website and becoming visible on search engines. They shut me down with the flip of their magic switch. Why approve me in the first place to run less than 15 days just to get shut down? They should be required to give some sort of explanations into their actions. Now I'm stuck with tons of merchandise and no means by which to sell. I will continue to give Cayan negative ratings on EVERY site that does reviews, file BBB complaints and reviews (negative of course) and seeking to file a class action lawsuit on these grounds as there are hundreds of complaints out there for the same reasons all over the country. The tend to ignore BBB complaints, delete negative reviews and justify their reasons for terminating accounts and holding funds.

Reply from Cayan

I’m sorry we are unable to accommodate your business, the website was inactive when we looked for those products as well before Risk terminated the account. We understand you need to do what is best for your business and know that Fort Pointe Payments was happy to discuss processing options that would assist you in getting up and running again. As mentioned there were several risk factors that led towards termination and we provided an alternate processing platform connection, but we have to act within our contractual agreements with our Sponsor Bank. Chris K. sent all the information to you April 10th, Tuesday morning and unfortunately, our hands are tied in this matter, but we do wish you the best and can reach out to Fort Pointe Payments to contact you if you would like.

Apr. 17th, 2018

Cathy New Braunfels, TX

Don’t use this service. Charges end up being more than quoted. It took 1 year to get them to quit deducting fees from bank account after discontinuing service with them.

Center Gold

The best merchant services. No hidden costs or fees. Exceeded customer service!

Delaney's Diner

They are very efficient and know exactly what they are doing.

Jennifer

customers learning how to use machine has been a bit more difficult then we thought

Glenda Rock

easy access to site, fast, gets the money sent to my bank quickly

B & B GAMES

Very user friendly and easy to use. The support is always there if you need help..

Bpdancewear.com

Always on top of any issues we have had . quick to help.

Convenient and Easy for both customers and owners.

Leslie Jewelry

Good price. Good service. Machine works well all the time.

Small Business Owner in Arizona

Abysmal. One hour waits for support services followed by dropped calls. No detailed user guide came with new machine.

Economy

Great company reliable. Consistent uptime. Best prices and great software.

Alison

They always give great customer service and are there for any issues. They keep their platforms up to date and we see little to no downtime.

Eli Gonzalez

It's very easy for me to use it ans also I like it's very fast.

Mar

Amazing experience and customer service always

Lisa

They answer immediately and take care of my problems in a professionial and expeditious manner. Great service and they speak English

Rick mcmillan Lancaster, PA

Hidden fees. Give you $100 to take away 3 months later. No communication with disputed charge where customers used service and then somehow received fee back. I noticed charge in return 2 months after refund. Highly disappointed in services and would not recommend for small business Can not afford $185 in charges when only charge about $800 monthly.

chaim akerman

Never find any one person to take care of their mistake. They owe me $ 1056.52 for over a month now. Never got my money. They constantly bill me for 3 devices when I only have 2. The worst thing is you can't understand them over the phone so you never get the proper help. Hope this review goes to the top. Otherwise nothing will get done. The free swipe doesn't work with Lightspeed. And the genius handheld disconnects constantly from the pos.

Sharon Davern Plainview, MN

Ease of use. Affordable and great support.

Christian Store Cumberland, KY

2 other providers not near as inexpensive as Cayan !

PAUSA art house Buffalo, NY

Great customer service and value for the money. Easy to contact and get issues resolved.

Myrna Compton, CA

My money is in my bank the same day. they always solve any problem I may have with the terminal and more.

A1 Equipment Rentals Clovis, CA

There product is great we use it with our rental software and it is integrated right in no hassles Great Customer service.

SoCal Image Techs Woodland Hills, CA

They are good ! i have had many dealings with credit card processing companies and Cyan is a game changer

Reply from Cayan

Thank you so much, Spencer! We are happy and thrilled to have you onboard. :)

Sea Creatures Wichita, KS

They have been responsive and a great company to deal with.

Bryan

We love our Cayan services! Mike L was was excellent when working with us and I would highly recommend going through Michael with any questions you may have. The customers like the high tech terminals and feel more secure using it then our previous payment terminal and it integrates with our software perfectly and the customer service that is provided is great (sometimes the operators I speak with are hard to understand with all the tech talk, but they will repeat anything if I have questions).

Reply from Cayan

Thank you so much, Bryan, for the glowing review of Cayan and Michael! We always encourage our customers to ask as many questions as possible to learn more about the payment processing world. We are always happy to help!

GABRIEL Los Angeles, CA

THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS ,THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS ,THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS

Glenn Scott - Jimano's Pizzeria -Wisconsin location Pleasant Prairie, WI

They are no problems with them, but do wish I was not forced to use them and incur the extra fees

Veronica Fly College Station, TX

Great Service always so helpful with any questions.

Reply from Cayan

Thank you Veronica! We are always happy to help and answer any questions you have!

King of quality pack and move Oakland, CA

Because there more reasonable then most other companies

Andrea Treimel, LCSW Durham, NC

Credit card payments are easy to use and it does not take a percentage out of each payment.

Circle The Wagons RV Park La Veta, CO

Ease of use. Great online access to account.

Bonsall Postal Bonsall, CA

easy and fast. Customers like how fast it is

Reply from Cayan

We are glad you and your customers like how fast our chip reader is. We strive to help grow your business by offering your customers the best experience with their checkout.

Mar. 21st, 2018

Gordon James Buffalo, NY

Easy to deal with for a company that does part time sales.

Seaside Psychotherapy LLC Oak Harbor, WA

Easy to work with and no need to worry about credit cards being processed.

LSCC Inc. Manvel, TX

Easy, Reliable and very dependable. Customer Service is top rate

BrianTew Houston, TX

Excellent easy to use all in one enter data, sends receipt to client and deposits into my bank acct

Sensory Stepping Stones, LLC Mount Kisco, NY

Few if any problems. Delivers what they promised.

Eagle Postal Express Texas Dallas, TX

great features, great price, great support people