As a psychologist and gerontologist, Andrew S. Dibner founded Lifeline Systems in 1974 to give elderly persons a viable solution to getting emergency medical help. The company initially sold its services to commercial entities, such as hospitals and other healthcare facilities, and has since transitioned to selling directly to consumers.

Lifeline Systems became Philips Lifeline in 2006 when it was acquired by the Philips company, adding products to its home care line. Today, Philips Lifeline remains one of the top medical alert services in the United States, having served over seven million customers.

The company's monitoring fee starts at $29.95 with no long-term contract and all equipment includes a one-year warranty. Read Philips Lifeline reviews below to see what consumers have to say about the medical alert provider.

#1 Medical Guardian chevron_right
#2 MobileHelp chevron_right
#3 One Call Alert chevron_right

The Good

• Fall Detection
  • Philips Lifeline Cost
  • Response Center
  • Variety of Medical Alert Packages
  • Strong Brand
  • Worry-Free Batteries
  • Waterproof Devices
  • Easy Installation & Optional Installation Assistance

Fall Detection

The major highlight of Philips Lifeline's medical alert system is its Fall Detection feature. AutoAlert uses smart sensors to identify a fall and automatically send an alert to Philips Lifeline if a fall is detected. This means customers don't have to worry about pushing their medical alert button themselves, especially if when they fall, they are unable to move. The emergency responders in Philips Lifeline monitoring center will be notified immediately and will send immediate help without the customer having to do anything. There is also two-way communication in the medical alert pendant, so you can speak to the emergency operators directly if desired.

Philips Lifeline Cost

Depending on the product subscription selected, Philips Lifeline's monthly fee ranges from $29.95 to $64.95 for round-the-clock monitoring and emergency dispatch services. There is an equipment fee of $149, but there is no activation fee or long-term contract. Having a dependable medical alert service could reduce the possibility of emergency room visits, hospitalizations, and medical complications from a fall.

Free Shipping and No Activation Fee

Customers are eligible for free activation and free shipping if they call Philips Lifeline assistance representatives and give them the code "X2HW." This makes the company's medical alert system that much more affordable for senior citizens and/or caregivers purchasing one for a family member.

No Long-Term Contracts

Philips Lifeline does not require customers to sign any long-term contracts in exchange for its products and services. This can provide peace of mind for people who want the freedom to cancel their medical alert services if need be.

Response Center

Philips Lifeline offers monitoring 24/7, 365 days a year through its North America-based Response Center that supports multiple languages. Professional Response Associates are specially trained for emergency response situations and will help any medical alert owner whether it is an emergency or a false alarm.

Variety of Medical Alert Packages

Philips Lifeline offers in-home and on-the-go medical alert systems. The on-the-go systems include mobile solutions with six locating technologies, including GPS and Wi-Fi, to help locate the medical alert customer simply and quickly. Philips Lifeline's alert pendant, base station, and other equipment for all of its offered packages are rigorously-tested medical grade and FDA-listed. Package details are below:

HomeSafe Standard

• Coverage for at home and away from home
  • Water-resistant pendant
  • Auto alert fall detection
  • Location technologies
  • Two-way communication through the medical alert device
  • Wireless connection only

Strong Brand

Philips Lifeline has more than a century of experience in health and technology and has been the leader in medical alert systems since 1974. Philips Lifeline is a BBB accredited business.

Worry-Free Batteries

The emergency button has a long battery life. The communicator has up to 30 hours of battery backup, which gives you access to help even during power outages. Philips Lifeline automatically replaces the battery for the HomeSafe products when needed. The GoSafe products have a year warranty, but the user is responsible for replacing the battery when needed.

Waterproof Devices

Philips’ medical alert devices are water resistant and work in the bath or shower where falls are common. This gives customers extra protection and makes it so they don't have to worry about taking the medical alert device on and off.

Easy Installation & Optional Installation Assistance

The product comes with an easy step-by-step voice-guided installation process. Upon request, Philips Lifeline can send a skilled technician to your home to ensure that everything is installed properly and that the system is securely connected to the monitoring center.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bad

• Range/Distance Limitations
  • Installation Service Charge

Range/Distance Limitations

Philips Lifeline doesn’t have a specific range for its products. The range varies depending on the location of the communicator and the specifications of the house itself. The company also warns that the range in and around your home must be tested. GoSafe personal alert system is covered anywhere with AT&T service, but the range varies depending on cell tower coverage in that particular area. However, this is to be expected with most medical alert devices.

Installation Service Charge

The optional installation help does require a one-time fee. A trained Philips Lifeline technician will come to your home and set-up your system and medical alert device for you. They will call you to schedule a two-hour time slot that works with your schedule. However, you can also have the equipment mailed to you so you can set it up yourself for no additional cost.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Philips Lifeline is a medical alert provider that most people recognize, and the quality of their equipment could be the reason why. The company has a trusted reputation for building quality medical alert systems that include the best technologies and design. Philips Lifeline uses AT&T networks to connect to Mobile or GPS Systems. Philips Lifeline subscribers can enjoy more confidence and peace of mind, even while they're away from home.

Unlike many medical alert companies, Philips Lifeline does not require long term contracts or an activation fee. The equipment is easy to install and you can even have a Philips Lifeline technician install it for you if you would prefer assistance. Read Philips Lifeline reviews below to learn more about the customer experience.

2.9

Jane Harmon

January 27th, 2015 Dallas, TX

I have been blessed to have a Lifeline since the early 80's. Always great service. It is the choice of state Medicaid programs and so many agency providers, for good reason. While I'm comforted that help is not far away, I'm also comforted by Lifeline's measured response. If I knew that I had a button to call 911, but I would land in the hospital as a result, I would probably never press that button! I feel so much better that when I press my Lifeline button, we can discuss my need. Better that my neighbor comes over, opens the door with her key, helps me up, gets my medication or whatever I need, stays with me until the issue is solved, and we're done. Ambulance, fire depot and hospital when necessary, family, friend or neighbor otherwise. Better use of city services, better for me. That makes the Lifeline choice easy.

Anne

January 27th, 2015 Bloomingdale, NJ

My mother was on lifeline for years. In July of 2013 I left her alone for an hour to take my sister to the bus station and stop at the store. When I returned my mother was gone and a note was left on the door that the local ambulance squad had taken her to the hospital. hospital. When I walked in I was shocked to find the carpet satuated with blood. Apparently she had gotten up right after I left, fell and struck her had head on a brass planter and. She was unconscious for some time and then woke up and called the ambulance company herself, even though her lifeline pendant was on. It never registered her fall. Unfortunately, because I was not with her when she arrived at the hospital, a CAT scan was done with dye and her kidneys shut down due to the dye. She fitted, at home, for weeks later with her five daughters with her .I will never forgive myself for leaving her that day. My ·Question is, when did the new feature start and why can they not have the patients medical issues somehow connected with the device? It would have made the difference between life and deat. Her kidneys could not tolerate the dye and she had required dialysis twice before. Unfortunately this time her kidneys could not recover.and the doctors never accessed her hospital records. Had the done so, she would still be here. I'm considering Lifeline for myself, I have MS and fall frequently. I also have other medical issues. I w would feel better off I knew whatever hospital I was taken to could see access my records via a database accessed through Lifeline.

Nichole

November 4th, 2014

Before my husband's grandmother passed away, she was a lifeline subscriber. Knowing she wore the lifeline pendant made her family members feel better and more confident when she was alone. It was very helpful when she fell in the bathroom and was unable to move. The help button late assisted her when she had a moderate stroke. Thank you, Lifeline, for providing a necessary service to our aging population.

Michelle Perry

October 22nd, 2014 Turlock, CA

My father's health declined rapidly. He still wanted to live alone. As a full-time working mom of 2 small children I can't always check up on him daily. He recently fell and went a full day before we realized anything was wrong. I ordered him a Philips Lifeline AutoAlert to ensure this doesn't happen again. Having the added peace of mind makes it easier for me to have him love alone. He is able to keep his independence in a safe manner.

Kim

September 23rd, 2014 Framingham, MA

We use Lifeline for my father-in-law for the past 5 years. It's been great as he is 92 and is very independent. Luckily we haven't had any incidents but my husbands great Aunt has the AutoAlert button and it saved her life. She fell in the basement of her home and it detected her fall and got her the help she needed. Great service!

Paul Hamilton

September 22nd, 2014 Estero, FL

We used the lifeline alert for my mother in law for about a year at 3 different times. (stayed with us for periods of time). The people at the call center were very helpful in transferring service to our location and in helping to get it set up. The hardware was very user friendly. The response time was always prompt when we needed help (non-emergency basis on our part). I would recommend this product.

Janet

September 22nd, 2014 Celina, OH

While visiting in FL at the location grand-mother was living, grand-mother used the system to alert of an emergency (she suffered a stroke and was transported to the hospital). The response was fast - the household was still asleep and only realized the emergency when the EMT appeared at the door.

Vance Horne

September 22nd, 2014 Brunswick, ME

This device is for my mother and she actually used your services about a year ago for an event where she broke her ankle and hit her head. The response was very prompt and satisfactorily handled. Great device and service.

Lorraine

September 22nd, 2014 Brunswick, ME

PhilipsLifeline is the best on the market. They are awesome! Lorraine

Gene Pike

September 21st, 2014 Brandon, FL

We are very pleased with Philips Life Line with Auto Alert.. My mother had a major stroke a few months after having a mini stroke, so we got here one. The reason we got her the Life Line with Auto Alert is because when she had her mini stroke she was not mentally aware enough to push the button to call for help on another brand button. We always felt reassured after getting Auto Alert because if she fell again it would detect the fall and automatically call for help.

nikki

September 21st, 2014

Lifeline has been helpful to my aging mother who falls fairly frequently. More than anything, it has given her (and me) peace of mind.

Lorraine Sullivan - user

September 21st, 2014 Bangor, ME

I am Pat Hughes, niece of Lorraine Sullivan.I will report what Lorraine says 'I have had lifeline for over 10 years. I feel secure with it and calm knowing that help will arrive if I need it. Gives me peace of mind and I'm not alone. It's always there when I need it. I have never had issues with the people on the other end. They have been nice, concerned, and courteous. You can hear their concern in their voices. It's comfortable to wear and easy and simple to use. Thanks for lifeline.