Cox Internet Logo

Cox Internet

7.2

LAST UPDATED: October 11th, 2021

Cox Internet is a major part of the internet service providers industry. It provides about six million customers with internet access and is one of the nation's largest broadband companies right now. Currently, Cox Internet is only serving select areas across the country.

The internet provider offers customers a download speed up to 1 Gbps and up to 1 TB data cap. Cox's monthly prices start at $49.99.

View Cox Internet Reviews

As a company, Cox Internet believes in giving back and making opportunities for its employees. Cox prides itself on being charitable in their communities and have a wide diversity within the company. Cox Internet is a constant innovator in the internet service industry.

The Good

• High Speed Internet Plan
  • Bundling Options
  • Affordable Prices

High Speed Internet Plan

One of the most important features of internet service is the download and upload speed. Cox Internet provides excellent speeds to its customers. It offers five internet speed options for customers to choose from. Those Cox internet plan options include the following:

• Cox Internet Starter 10 — $29.99 per month, 10 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Essential 30 — $39.99 per month, 30 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150 — $59.99 per month, 150 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Ultimate — $79.99 per month, 300 Mbps
  • Gigablast -$99.99 per month, 940 Mbps

What might jump out to you is the high-speed access on the upper end. Cox internet service offers some impressive download speeds, a high speed internet connection, and a quality gigabit ethernet plan.

Bundling Options

Most cable modem providers give you the option to bundle cable TV and internet, and so does Cox. But unlike the competition, Cox service has nine ways to bundle:

• Bronze Bundle — $89.99 per month, 140+ channels, 150 mbps, phone
  • $64.99 per month, 75+ channels, 10 Mbps, phone
  • $74.99 per month, 75+ channels, 30 Mbps, phone
  • $94.99 per month, 75+ channels, 150 Mbps, phone
  • $137.48 per month, 140+ channels, 30 Mbps, phone

You can see more details on Cox's website and customize your plans to include phone service and Cox home security.

Most of these bundled services have a two-year contract.

Affordable Prices

Cox's internet package prices are competitive for the industry and are lower than some of its competitors' prices.

The ISP also provides residential customers with a lower-speed option (the Essential package) if you don't need as much power behind your internet usage. The prices stated above do not include taxes, modem or wi fi router rental fees, or the $10 per month surcharge for a month-to-month contract instead of a one year contract.

New customers can also receive a discounted price for the first 12 months.

These prices are not exceptionally high and are even low compared to some of their competitors' prices. This is especially true for the higher packages. Some other internet service providers charge almost double for that high of a speed.

The Bad

• Data Limits
  • No-Contract Fee

Data Limits

Cox gives all its customers a data cap of 1 TB per month. As far as data caps go, 1 TB is common in the industry and provides users with plenty of data.

Customers who surpass their data limit will be charged an additional $10 per up to 50 GB excess data used.

This can be an issue for customers if they want the speed that is associated with a certain package but need more than its allotted amount of data. Not all ISPs put caps on data usage, and unlimited data plans are growing in popularity, so this does put Cox at a disadvantage.

No-Contract Fee

Most service providers will require you to sign at least a 12-month contract, and Cox is no different unless you're willing to pay more. Cox charges $10 per month if you want to forego a contract.

However, some internet providers offer month-to-month plans with no added fees, so if you're not sure if you'll stay in one place or stick with Cox, you might be more interested in working with another company.

The Bottom Line

Cox Internet does a good job of providing a lot of options for their customers to choose from. These packages are very reasonably priced and compare well with their competitors in the industry.

There are a few drawbacks to the services provided by Cox Internet, like the data caps on their packages. Overall, Cox Internet could be a good choice for customers who are looking for specific needs to be met.

View Best Internet Service Companies

3.2

Adrian Crute Escondido, CA

Been with Cox for 4 months, I moved house and used to have spectrum. I am using the same equipment in used with spectrum (I always use my own high end equipment). Had no issue ever with the Spectrum service. Moved 15 miles up the road, only Cox has fiber in the area. The quality of the connection is terrible. From 4pm on wards till about 11pm i lose 35% of all out-going packets when playing online. This makes online gaming impossible. I had an engineer come out and after reviewed his data and even took the time to review the data I collected (To be fair he was a great technician) he found no issue with my equipment or the house. He found back into his boss who then confirmed that they knew the area i was in was overloaded and at breaking point but they had no idea if they were going to be installing extra capacity. They themselves had raised it up the ladder as urgent and were just told by head office they were aware of the issue. The technician was just as frustrated as me.

Richard Henderson, NV

For a short while Cox was fine and worked well and that’s the only reason I am being fair by giving them 2 stars ⭐️. Then after 2 years they said they going to Jack our bill up. So we called to lower our service. The bill was consistent for another 4 months then started making up crap we are using more data and started sending us random higher bills. They wanted to argue with me so I told them cut it off I don’t need your nonsense.

Chase Benfield San Diego, CA

Since I’ve had Cox I have had outages last weeks in my condo because techs who hookup neighbors Internet unplugged my physical line (twice). Constant crashes outages, and all of the sudden the data usage they report you are using is 100% wrong. Their website and app always have errors and won’t let me view anything about my data usage. Customer support will waste hours of your time if you ask and never answer the question. A tech asked if I stream in 4K and said that could be why I allegedly used 1tb in 2 days 🤦🏻‍♂️ Math isn’t their strong suite either. I plan on running several tests to verify they are overcharging with their data caps by reporting inaccurate usage data and compiling the results. I urge anyone else stuck with this price gouging incompetent and fraudulent ISP to do the same. I’m done with it. This company only seems to do right when they face class actions. Another one coming.

Brandon Walker IA

They buy everyone and everything so you have no choice but cox then bust up the price for horrible 50/50 wifi.

Doug , FL

I just donated 2 hours of my life explaining the flaws of their signup process, all for the betterment of future customers. First, when I signed up on the internet, paying the extra fees to expedite the process, I was given a choice to buy my own or rent equipment. Fine. I weighed the options and rented, and the equipment was delivered. The instructions with the equipment stated, 1) Find and active coax connection, 2) plug it in and wait 10 minutes, 3) enjoy. Well, you know, I plugged it in to a coax connection that was in the best location, no work. Then, at the advice of a technician now involved I plugged it into a coax active with DirectTV, no work. Set up an appointment with technician to fix it. Then my son told me he paid $150 for one of the coax connections for Cox internet. I tried that, it worked. So when the instructions say “active” coax connection, that means one where Cox has had a technician work his magic on at $100 a pop. No where in the signup process or equipment instructions was I given that information. So I went over this experience very carefully with the person on the phone in the hopes they could clarify the missing link to the customer, the correctly wired “active” cable. Will they now communicate this? Honestly, having lived in Gainesville since 1979 but also spending 10 years in Tampa, this is such a one-horse town.

Bill Fredericks Williamsburg, VA

There are 2 reasons I'm not satisfied with Cox internet service. 1) When it rains, the internet intermittently drops out often even in light rain when raining for a while. There is likely some problem with the wiring outside and/or in our neighborhood. 2) When it is not raining, our speed is poor. I have been doing speeds tests and logging them in a spreadsheet. We are paying for the 150Mbps plan, but we rarely see above 50 Mbps down and above 10 Mbps upload. If we had a consistent 100 Mbps download, I would not be complaining about Cox, but our service is bad enough that I'm taking this time from my family on a Sunday to write this.

Dave Tanguay Sierra Vista, AZ

I live in SE Arizona. For years I had Century Link (the telephone company) DSL service. Their service was horrible as I couldn't even get 1.5 Mb/s most of the time. Three years ago I switched to Cox and signed up for Preferred Service which was 25 Mbps at that time. After some difficulty in scheduling work on getting a new cable wired to the house the service has been fantastic! I got consistent speeds and great reliability. Two years ago Cox quietly upped the speed to 50 Mbps. Speedtest.net consistently reports speeds of 60+Mbps. Since then I dropped Century Link as my landline phone provider in favor of VOIP service with Vonage. Goodbye Century Link. I hope to never have dealings with you again! This is an honest review. No one paid me to say these nice things about Cox Internet.

S R Henderson, NV

Horrible internet service. Cuts in and out all the time..i do NOT recommend. We always say 3rd world internet is faster and better. But Cox is the only monopoly here in Nevada so your screwed anyway.

Gabriel Sanchez Phoenix, AZ

With constant speeds over several devices. Cox high speed interest has help my family with working and going to school from home.

Tim Bishop , GA

This company claims there straight up internet has no hidden fees, what they don’t disclose to you is that unlike the ads say you can’t just use it the months you want to, or just prepay when you need it, because they charge a reconnect fee, and you can either pay the additional 50 bucks for this reconnect fee or cancel your service entirely, even after you pay the 50 bucks for the month, so what happened with mine was I wasn’t going to be home as I was out of town on business when I came back my internet was off, was like alright cool let me go pay for the month and my internet will be back on, and I was completely wrong, I figured maybe 24 hours and it will be back on, wrong again, so I contact customer service through the app just to get the run around which I still have all the correspondence from them in case anyone wants to see, literally talked to 22 different agents that all contradicted the next one and all contradicted the ads they promote for this service, and then to top it off even when I agreed finally after arguing a point which by the end all of them agreed that that is a hidden and undisclosed fee they attempted to charge, that instead of just taking my money and turning my internet back on they just canceled my account entirely, mind you I had just paid for the month, so then I talked to 11 more agents and two supervisors to get a refund for the month I had just paid for, my advice is stay away from this company, they don’t care about there customers at all and clearly don’t care to do proper business with anyone, any other company I have dealt with, might argue back with you but when you are in the right and they finally see that usually you get compensated not canceled, don’t go with cox if you can absolutely avoid it, unless you have 8 to 10 hours to waiste on the phone or over char with them online about your bill and how they are trying to screw you this month, bunch of crooks and liars

Peter Shimming

I have been using Cox Internet Service since I moved to America as a student. As you know that students have to do extensive research and have to connect.. Socialize on social media platforms and study online too. Moreover, I had to stay call my parents overseas on Skype, where I had to stay connected to my family on the phone too. The only activity I had at the time was to watch my favorite seasons and movies online after college or visit a social media website and interact with people. Cox Communication answered to all my needs and got me the connection that never disappointed me. It keeps me connected all the time and gives my connection a Power Booster via PowerBoost that boosts when I am transferring large files. The connection is highly secured and covers upto 5 PCs at a time. When this is not enough, McAfee has my back. Apart from all that, Cox Internet gives you around 10 email addresses and online storage so that you don't have to bother about your important files including images, video, audio, and documents. Cox Communication gives you the peace of mind and ease of use that you need. You can avail their bundle offers with a click here http://www.coxbundledeals.com/

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

Cox is our internet provider in our current home. They gave us a great deal on our start up, and gave us a great modem that has great range. We get great wifi coverage in our house, and our internet speed is lightening fast. The price is great as well for the quality of service. The company was easy to work with, and never gave us any problem. The install was fast and easy and we were up and running in no time. Great experience so far.

myron wynn ,

I don't like how cox can raise your bill with out telling you. I don't like that I can't cut just my cable off with out having to pay big cut off fees. The fee to cut off my cable was $80 now bec I waited 2 or 3 months its $110. They don't tell you everything when you set you plan up then they try to make you feel like your crazy telling you it's always been like this. My bill went from $120 to $150 in 2 months. So at the end of my term I'm cutting it all off. Never again very very disappointed

Michael MacKinnon North Smithfield, RI

Why aren't communications companies regulated like utility companies? The average consumer has no advocate. When these creeps engage in pseudo charitable activities, they give from one hand and stick the other in your wallet. They're not giving anything away until they can raise these monies from us. Until consumers can be assured of proper regulatory practices these animals will continue to run rough-shod all over us. Remember the Romanovs. That's what it might take. A few of these cooperate pirates taken outside and properly beaten may a cause a rethinking of cooperate models. Cox attracts new customers with 29.99 but almost doubles it next year and every year they want a little more. I'm positive they are throttling. We are the ones paying for corporate competition - the corporations are the winners and we are the losers. Don't feel too sorry for remote workers - there are plenty of corporate arrangements to help these people with their communications and we're probably helping out with that too.

David Plummer Glendale, AZ

Fifteen years ago, Cox was a real stand up company. Service was reliable and phone support was easily accessible (and without having to wait for extended periods). But they have been on a steady decline since then. Of course they hide behind technicalities so as to avoid responsibility. I understand, and even agree, that property OWNERS have responsibility to fix issues on their own properties that connect to the closest Cox box. But, renters exist as a legal entity that separates them from the ownership of the property. Renters pay to use the interior of their unit. Renters do NOT own the building. Renters do NOT own the roof. Renters do NOT own the space around the wall studs. Once you go behind the wall (i.e. the wall cavity), the duty to fix issues shifts from the renter to the owner and other suppliers. Cox actually expects a renter to go on the roof of a building to fix their equipment. Cox expressed point blank that they didn't care if the problem I was experiencing was also occurring to any of my neighbors. And then they wonder why they get two stars now when 15 years ago they would get 5 stars. When a Cox tech was out, they found multiple "splitters" on the roof of my apartment building. It was the "splitters" that was retarding the quality of service into my unit. If this was affecting my unit and there were many other "splitters" on the roof, there is a good chance that some of the neighbors are not getting optimal service. But Cox personnel expressed that it was all the other renters' problem. They didn't even express any interest in getting together with property owners or managers to ensure the problem isn't impacting others. That tells the story of Cox these days. They take your money with (service UP TO certain MBps) and they have no interest in assuring their service actually DELIVERS the service speed they sell. And of course, they hide behind the "UP TO" terms. So Cox customers are supposed to just pay the monthly bill and just accept whatever service Cox feels like delivering.

Richard S Mission Viejo, CA

I've lived in several US cities. Most of them I used Cox when available because they were the most familiar to me. Looking back, I have only bad memories of them. In each of the places but Vegas was probably the worst. Not just bad but illegal. I have had several complaints about conflicts of interest and allowing law enforcement access to my dwelling without my permission. And alternatively, not taking care of their responsibility when lines were faulty outside of my residence. I really don't even want to give them 1 star but just trying to be fair because there were some days everything worked correctly

Joyce Schaaf Phoenix, AZ

they have my internet, phone(land line) and my cable. I have had very few problems with them over the life of my service with them. I have been with them since they became Cox and with the Companies before since 1983

Judy Leith

Service is great, costs are too high. They always let you know if there's an outage and will credit you account if needed. However, compared to other companies, their cable costs are very high, and if you don't bundle with them, they are even worse.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Cox has been a stable and reliable service. They are well intentioned and provide great customer service. Broadband speeds are competitive for the price. Very happy with Cox Internet and would use them again!

Mackenzie Gilbert, AZ

I had the home Cox Internet service for 4 years and never had any major problems. The few outages we had were resolved within 24 hours. We recently switched to a business grade connection because I work from home and need more stable speeds for the work I do. It has been delivering consistent speed since it was installed.

Antonia Montague , IL

I use Cox Cable for internet service and they're very reliable. I find them a little expensive for cable and the price goes up after a year so I didn't choose to keep that service. Overall they're easy to work with. The customer service department is difficult to access sometimes. The quality of the internet service is good--no lag with multiple devices, no getting shut down for long periods in a storm or with block outages, etc.

Jacobrobot321 Baton Rouge, LA

Wish it was more available in rural areas. Have it at work and its great. Limited to dsl at home. overall the internet is good, but we’ve had a team come out multiple times to fix our dsl and they even tripped up a wire!! It got compensated with a new router though!

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

My family and I have stuck with Cox Cable and Internet for years! We switched companies when we moved and it wasnt local anymore, and no company matches Cox's deals and high internet speed. Once I moved out of my parents house I immediately got Cox internet as well and i will continue to keep them as long as possible. Highly reccommend!!

Michael Seth Manwaring Chandler, AZ

I have Premier Internet Service from Cox (I live in 85225). The connection has always been very reliable and fast. There were a couple occasions right after it was installed when we needed a tech to come out and amplify the signal for us. Those techs were courteous and expert.

Donna Williams Phoenix, AZ

I love Cox! They have the greatest bandwidth and best customer service ever! I rarely if ever experience going offline and being left without a connection. Their product and service is superior to Centurylink and other companies. Would never trust my internet to anyone else!

Eric San Diego, CA

Its not bad but I had no other choice as they are the only provider in my area which seems a bit silly. With that being said I don't really have any complaints. The customer service rep that helped me get set up was great, personable and patient.

Jamie Gilbert, AZ

I have been a cox customer for over 10 years. I have been very pleased with the speed of the internet and the few times I’ve had problems the customer service has been excellent! They have rewarded my loyalty with a discount, only down side to that is I have to pay attention to my bill and when the loyalty discount disappears I have to call and ask for it again.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I had Cox Internet service for many years and never had any complaints. Their service was top notch and customer service always excelled.

VF New Orleans, LA

This is a terrible company. I have been paying for premium internet at 150 mbs in New Orleans. yet i mostly get 10-20 mbs at best. It often fails completely Their customer service number is awful. They lie to you a lot. Their technicians dont know what to do other than reboot the modem and their managers give you smooth talk but dont mean anything they say. This happened with Seth last month and Sara on 1/16. Sadly they have a monopoly. If they had a good competitor they would be out of business

Dmitriy Suyurov Everett, WA

The worst customer service ever. Nobody knows how to help you; they will transfer you around hoping the next guy/gal will know how to help you. Their billing is the most confusing and no one can explain what they are charging you for. They have no problem charging you extra each month. Can't wait for the contract to end.

Shelreci Thomas Gilbert, AZ

If I could give Cox a -1 star I would ... this company is absolutely the worst internet provider in America. We are in the middle of a pandemic and they are not even willing to work with you on your bill ... Even if they do they are still charging you additional hidden fees increasing your bill every month. Then if you setup a payment arrangement and there system cant get the payment and they only make one attempt they will put a 90 day block on your account and stick you up for the entire bill .. I mean could a company be any worse.. and the only service I have with this company is internet .. nothing else .. worst company ever !

Fresh Start Gainesville, FL

At first it was great the service, the customer service, and the setup. Then once i didn't need it anymore they decided to tell me im on a contract and i can't get off of it unless i pay an extra certain amount plus the bill.

Ed

Service levels are down while the price goes up. They will adjust pricing based on any new promotions but they don't do anything unless you call. The highest internet speed that I have still is slow at times with buffering more that I would expect. Complaining about it is not helping.

Greg

The company continued tyo escalate the prices without authorization of the customer and they were not supportive. They refused to use the proper reception box for the quality of Television I had purchased. The tech at the place of purchase disclosed I would have problems with the normal box and I asked Cox Cable for the proper box. Their answer was I get the one that is given to everyone after they admitted the had the correct one in stock. Once on line my television continued to stop working periodically then would come bac for a few hours and the event happened over and over again. I changed to simple antenna and my television works well. Figured I have saved well over $12,000.00 since I cancelled Cox Cable.

Jeffrey Gibbons Newton, KS

Background: Personally, when I lived in Missouri, I had several different internet providers in Missouri during college because of moving around. I have never had such an issue with internet monopolies but cox internet is a true monopoly of this area that provide internet to Newton, KS. If you talk to other providers there are often fees to put poles up in your area, the satellite is not capable of reaching you, or there is no clear line of sight available. I am now living in a state you can see for 10 miles in every direction and I can't get a decent reasonably priced internet source. Internet in Kansas is a complete disaster. Current and future issues: Furthermore, after much review of internet in the Newton, KS area I decided to go with cox because they seemed to offer the best prices and were actually the only internet provider that my current location, which is right in the heart of Newton, and should have no problem getting internet with a town of 20k people. Wrong, you not only have to deal with a monopolistic company like cox you have to sift through the piles of fee's and hidden 1yr/2yr. agreements then look to the fine print to see what the actual cost of your basic internet may be after thus said time frame. Customer services with Cox: Customer service, oh my goodness, my wife called cox customer service to cancel our outrageous bill of $200 and start a different package with just internet so we could save money, the person on the other end of the line taunted my wife and said things like, "you know what you are doing?, how will you protect yourself if you don't have cox homelife anymore?" My wife asked if we could do the 30mbps speed instead of the package that we were on at that time. The lady from cox said, "no you can't do that." Then, my wife reminded the lady from cox that we can pay a cancellation fee and get out of the contract. The lady on the other end said, "well, ugh, yes you can do that, but that would not make sense." During the conversation, my wife felt as though she were treated very poorly and with a great deal of apathy. I called cox internet 2/8/20 to see why I was charged twice for a bill after we went with the 30mbps speed and they kept me on the phone to wait for a representative for over an hour. Really wish I had another option to purchase internet for the same price or lower where I live. Solution = move to a different location to get an internet service that works --- well that seams really drastic?? Think about this, in mid-Missouri where I went to college the prices for internet were less costly as well as having higher internet speeds and more options of where to get your service from. Customer service = none Cox internet = scam and a waste of your time and hard earned money but because that is your only option you are doomed and stuck in a crappy situation. If you have other options and can afford to pay more for internet, and can get different internet, please, please DO NOT use cox services.

Timothy McCauley North Las Vegas, NV

There is so much I can say but let's start with the bait and switch with plans when trying to go unlimited but changed it on us. We did get giga blast upgrade but since then, it seems we are having even more issues apart from our router cutting in and out throughout the day. Even after all that my biggest issue is the throttling of data, I was out of town for a week and a half but somehow I used the same amount of data I did last month and since I upgraded from 1 terabyte to 1.5 T due to going over by a little but some how I am using even more data then I was using before. It is disgusting business practice to squeeze money out of people for overages by throttling. Cox has a monopoly in Las Vegas and shows why its dangerous. Cox does not care out its customers because the we dont have any other choice.

Maureen Phoenix, AZ

I have been a COX loyal customer since 2008…that is 12 years. Today I spoke with someone in the customer retention department ( after my husband made the same call last week) I thought surely my husband got the information wrong so I decide to call myself. My bill is steadily increasing and then a CenturyLink rep contacted us and they would be able to give us better service for 60.00 less per month…that’s a lot of money at the end of a year. When I discussed this with Sean at COX all he did was tell me all the reasons why CenturyLink was not as good and that I would have to pay for install and the new equipment etc etc etc but he would take 5 bucks off my bottom line. Well guess what CenturyLink is not charging us install or for the equipment and I will have a better service package for LESS!! I tend to be a loyal customer and I REALLY tried to give COX a chance to keep my business but I guess they do not care about customer satisfaction. My husband called CenturyLink and they are getting us taken care of in 2-- TWO days...amazing. Bye Bye COX not nice knowing you!!!!

Byron Mesa, AZ

In my area COX is an overpriced monopoly. As of this writing I have the "Cox Internet Preferred 150" which costs $87.99 a month with a 1TB cap. The introductory cost of this plan is $59.99 for one year, which is very misleading because most sources quote this price as the cost, but of course COX will jack up the price after the first year. COX intentionally gouges their customers because they can! 2 stars because it at least works most of the time.

Joseph Vienna, VA

I've been USED :) Cox for 15 yrs prior to move to new location. They told me that I am a loyal customer. On my 8th month at this new location, internet suddenly stopped working. I had been patiently waiting for almost a month and half.... and am begging for the technician service. I was able to schedule 4 different technician appointments, but, they "Auto-cancel the technician visits" all 4 times... because "Outage in the area", Of course, without notify me... every time I call they told me to wait 4-6 hours due to outage in the area, they don't even know. But Outage in the area for a month and half with NO snowstorm or hurricane ??? Yeah right! I finally decided to cancel the service I had paid $60 for cancellation and total $79 with other fees. Call center person told me, they are cancelling the service I PAID but DID NOT get for a month and half. hahahaha Whatever... I am HAPPY because I don't have to deal with this company anymore! SHAME ON YOU COX!

Michelle L. Cox Glendale, AZ

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY WITH THE STRAIGHT UP INTERNET FROM COX...... When you have issues with the service or the equipment you are gonna be told there is nothing they can do. Basically if you are on the Pre-Paid plan you are on the bottom on the of the list and you will not get treated the same as a HIGH Paying customer would. Believe me when I say the exact words of more then one Cox representative told me that because I am on the Straight Up Plan, I do not get any upgrades and the modem (which is no longer manufactured nor does it have support from the manufacture any longer) that is really a piece of **** I got no help at all from ANY COX EMPLOYEE. I think that is called prejudice. Because I can not afford a $200.00 a month bill I dont get the (royal treatment) I get brushed off. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY WITH COX

Karen Kruse Mary Esther, FL

I spent hours on the phone with Cox and absolutely wasted my time! All they did was blame the problem on someone else! They kept saying over & over that I had 3rd party equipment, that I didn't. My modem was specifically designed for Cox, had Cox name on the box, but because it failed to work properly & because 4 different people were too stupid to assist me, they did nothing but blame the problem on someone else. I actually called the person they blamed it on, who then returned the blame to Cox saying the modem I had was specifically designed by Cox for Cox. Cox just didn't care, refused to help, didn't want to be bothered! I have had problems with Cox in 4 different cities and have always had problems with them. I have no choice but to use them them now because the apartment complex I live in is under contract with Cox, but I hate them, they suck, always have sucked & always will suck! Hence the bad review which is the least I can do!

Michael

For the most part very good. Some of their installers have zero experience, so you have to question their experience before allowing them to work in your home.

JAC Baton Rouge, LA

I did the pre-pay for the "Straight Up Internet" COX service, but the service was never installed and the money was kept. Installers came out on three different occasions, and each one commented a lift truck would be needed. Apparently there was no communication among the installers since it was Groundhog Day each time. When I checked the status for a fourth visit I learned that COX had applied the money to a disputed bill from over 5 years ago I thought was resolved. It was really misleading for them to let me go online, pre-pay, confirm payment and message me that service would be installed. I would not trust them with a pre-payment.

Edward

I have had Cox High Speed Internet, Cable TV, and Phone for eight years. Their signal quality and minimal downtime are exceptional. Their customer service is almost stellar, however, they are shockingly overpriced and inflexible with their "bundling" nonsense.

nancy hebert Prairieville, LA

We have had Cox internet/phone/cable for 12 years. For the first 8 years service was stellar. Rarely had problems, and when you did the first tech that answered the phone could almost always take care of whatever issue might arise in just a few minutes. Then the internet slowed way down, cable was frequently pixellated, phone would go out, phone techs were no longer knowledgeable, and prices started creeping up. For the last two years my internet signal has been so poor there is virtually no wi-fi unless you are sitting on top of the router. They have sent multiple inside techs out that confirm signal is not reaching the house from the pole due to 12 years of deterioration of the wiring making the 300 foot span from the pole to the house. Yet even though the IT guys put in work orders for the lines to be replaced, it never happens. I am paying close to $400.00 a month now for Cox services.

Michael AZ Queen Creek, AZ

they can't keep their billing straight. Was put on paperless without requesting but never received any type of notice of payment due until email stating payment due today. Spoke to them and supposedly corrected the problem. Now on third month still without any billing notice.

Susan Snyder

Their service is good, including customer service. The internet is fast and does not have periods of breaking down. The only problem is the price and the company forcing bundled services on you. Then they tell you there is no contract but will not let you reduce your services until a 2 yr period is up.

Jeff Bloom Phoenix, AZ

I went with Cox for internet service with great trepidation and nausea medication. Since they are members of ALEC, which I find to be a dangerous and anti-democratic organization, I really didn't want to do business with them in the first place. But, the same was true of all the other providers. So, it was a matter of pick your poison. I can't wait for Google to set up their service, which is on the way at some point (if I'm still alive). Most importantly beyond this concern is the unreliability of their service. When the internet is working it is fast (50 Mb/s down and 10 mb/s up), which is consistent with the plan I selected. However, it frequently stops or drops to a snail's pace (1 Mb/s down). Since I work from home, this lack of consistency is a real problem, especially when I'm doing online meetings, sending important information, working on websites, or searching for information related to my field. When I call for help, they usually do something that helps for the moment, but it goes back to the same pattern within a day. I get real tired of having to call all the time, so I live with it, until I can't stand it any more and then I'll call again. In general, I find their attitude about technical service to be pretty flat. They really don't seem to care. I also find that billing issues are problematic. I recently received an automated phone call saying that I need to check my account... whatever that means??? It turned out that their online payment system didn't process my payment and my account was overdue. When I called, the representative kept trying to blame my bank for not processing the charge. Sounds like a psychopath blaming everyone else for problems, but not taking responsibility. I couldn't get it across to the person that the issue was with their system. And, she was clueless about how to handle the late charge (which I shouldn't have to pay). I acted in good faith, but the Cox payment system didn't do what it was supposed to do. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, I got the standard response that she/he was not available. There's just one supervisor in a corporation this size? I just find that corporations like Cox are completely disconnected from their customers and the whole idea of "service." They are supposed to provide a service, but they really don't seem to know how to pull off that notion. But, it is typical that most businesses today have no idea how to "really" run a business. Everything seems to be done to make the running of the business convenient for the people in the business, while ignoring the concerns and convenience of the customers.

GLENN Gainesville, FL

Cox is simply the worst internet provider out there. Beware!!!! You can't believe anything they tell you and God help you if you were scammed into one of thier Bundle Deals. You will spend hours on the phone every month when you receive a monthly bill. The only thing Cox is professional at is lying. Trust me just ask around for other victims. Their internet drops and spikes so much we had to drop the phone service from my cell phone. Infact, the kids can't even game in peace. It' bad when their friends dont even wont to come over because we have Cox internet. I know what your thinking, switch intenet providers? We can't Cox is the only DSL provider other than dial up. BEWARE Cox

jkenny90 , TX

Cox offers the most reliable internet service in my area. I never have problems with my internet connection and the speeds are just what I need. However it is more expensive than other internet providers I have used in the past with similar reliability and service.