Cox Internet Logo

Cox Internet

6.4

LAST UPDATED: November 29th, 2022

Cox Internet is a major part of the internet service providers industry. It provides about six million customers with internet access and is one of the nation's largest broadband companies right now. Currently, Cox Internet is only serving select areas across the country.

The internet provider offers customers a download speed up to 1 Gbps and up to 1 TB data cap. Cox's monthly prices start at $49.99.

View Cox Internet Reviews

As a company, Cox Internet believes in giving back and making opportunities for its employees. Cox prides itself on being charitable in their communities and have a wide diversity within the company. Cox Internet is a constant innovator in the internet service industry.

The Good

• High Speed Internet Plan
  • Bundling Options
  • Affordable Prices

High Speed Internet Plan

One of the most important features of internet service is the download and upload speed. Cox Internet provides excellent speeds to its customers. It offers five internet speed options for customers to choose from. Those Cox internet plan options include the following:

• Cox Internet Starter 10 — $29.99 per month, 10 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Essential 30 — $39.99 per month, 30 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150 — $59.99 per month, 150 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Ultimate — $79.99 per month, 300 Mbps
  • Gigablast -$99.99 per month, 940 Mbps

What might jump out to you is the high-speed access on the upper end. Cox internet service offers some impressive download speeds, a high speed internet connection, and a quality gigabit ethernet plan.

Bundling Options

Most cable modem providers give you the option to bundle cable TV and internet, and so does Cox. But unlike the competition, Cox service has nine ways to bundle:

• Bronze Bundle — $89.99 per month, 140+ channels, 150 mbps, phone
  • $64.99 per month, 75+ channels, 10 Mbps, phone
  • $74.99 per month, 75+ channels, 30 Mbps, phone
  • $94.99 per month, 75+ channels, 150 Mbps, phone
  • $137.48 per month, 140+ channels, 30 Mbps, phone

You can see more details on Cox's website and customize your plans to include phone service and Cox home security.

Most of these bundled services have a two-year contract.

Affordable Prices

Cox's internet package prices are competitive for the industry and are lower than some of its competitors' prices.

The ISP also provides residential customers with a lower-speed option (the Essential package) if you don't need as much power behind your internet usage. The prices stated above do not include taxes, modem or wi fi router rental fees, or the $10 per month surcharge for a month-to-month contract instead of a one year contract.

New customers can also receive a discounted price for the first 12 months.

These prices are not exceptionally high and are even low compared to some of their competitors' prices. This is especially true for the higher packages. Some other internet service providers charge almost double for that high of a speed.

The Bad

• Data Limits
  • No-Contract Fee

Data Limits

Cox gives all its customers a data cap of 1 TB per month. As far as data caps go, 1 TB is common in the industry and provides users with plenty of data.

Customers who surpass their data limit will be charged an additional $10 per up to 50 GB excess data used.

This can be an issue for customers if they want the speed that is associated with a certain package but need more than its allotted amount of data. Not all ISPs put caps on data usage, and unlimited data plans are growing in popularity, so this does put Cox at a disadvantage.

No-Contract Fee

Most service providers will require you to sign at least a 12-month contract, and Cox is no different unless you're willing to pay more. Cox charges $10 per month if you want to forego a contract.

However, some internet providers offer month-to-month plans with no added fees, so if you're not sure if you'll stay in one place or stick with Cox, you might be more interested in working with another company.

The Bottom Line

Cox Internet does a good job of providing a lot of options for their customers to choose from. These packages are very reasonably priced and compare well with their competitors in the industry.

There are a few drawbacks to the services provided by Cox Internet, like the data caps on their packages. Overall, Cox Internet could be a good choice for customers who are looking for specific needs to be met.

View Best Internet Service Companies

3.3

David Lopez Jr Phoenix, AZ

Cox has always been our go to internet service provider. We have been with them since the early 2000s and have NEVER had major complaints or issues. Every time we call in for support for any concerns, Cox has always been there to remediate and help, additionally, even when a major issue occurs that causes to want to move, Cox has always made it right by giving us great retention offers that always makes us want to stay with them. We’ve always been so happy with their service at how fast it is and while it is a little more on the expensive side, it is well worth the price for the service and quality of service they offer. My only complaint is that when maintenance or outages happen, customers are not giving notice in advance, and I have always harped on to them about that and wish they would give us advance notice so we can plan accordingly if our services are dependent on work. Overall, with all my years with Cox, I would NEVER switch to their competitors EVER.

KW Phoenix, AZ

We used Cox home internet service at two different previous homes and were very happy with the service both times. I would've gladly kept their service at my new (current) home, but it's not available here (even though every surrounding neighborhood around ours has it). The upload and download speeds were very fast. Streaming movies worked great. The equipment was easy to use (just a little expensive to rent).

Fred Antrim Tucson, AZ

I had service with them over 18 years ago when I was a single bachelor. I reached out to them to compare costs and they said I had to pay a $200 balance before my NEW wife could put it in her name. The worst part of it is that amount was paid in my past bankruptcy. Also, every month your bill changes and not once did it ever go down.

Aryo Henderson, NV

I usually experience disconnect for a couple of minutes around midnight. There is no speed guarantee, it sometimes can be as high as 350 and sometimes as low as 50. The customer service is just okay. The price is too high compare to what you receive. I used to have Xfinity when I was in Bay Area, both the speed and price were significantly better than Cox, in fact they are not even comparable. Cox plan is not unlimited unless you pay $50 extra per month.

William Pommering Santee, CA

Cox used to be THE best internet provider. Once they decided they wanted out of the email business, they really let their customer service slide. Since they usually operate within a city as a monopoly, there are precious few alternatives. In one instance, I had to file an FCC complaint in order to get a resolution -- and boy! did that work. Cox fell from the top of their game to the bottom. Once I have a gigabyte alternative, I am gone after decades of having their service.

Diogenes DeFawkes Warner Robins, GA

The high speed internet is fantastic and reliable if a little pricey. The only reason I didn't rate them higher is they have a habit of randomly changing your billing with zero warning. My bill almost tripled after a year because it turned out they had me on a "promotional plan" which nobody ever advised me of, and the only way to bring it down was to sign up for another "promotional plan" that required I rent a streaming box from them which I never even hooked up.

Arif Hussain Chandler, AZ

We have been using Cox Internet for over 10 years and main reason for sustaining Cox Internet is very dependable and great service. We had no interruptions and if any issues they resolve immediately. Many other Internet companies approached for switching but we refused to switch as Cox Internet is dependable and reliable provider

Enoch Hein Fort Smith, AR

The internet is fast and reliable. The rate ended up being less than what I was quoted. I’ve always used COX wifi, and don’t plan to change.

Kelcey Howard Edmond, OK

Not happy at all. We have had our internet go down over 10 times in the last month. Customer service will not help either. They just keep saying the same thing. “We don’t see any problems so this shouldn’t be happening”. Okay but it is happening. They told us they do monthly maintenance which I understand but this is too much. My boyfriend works night shift and relies on using internet during the night and half the time he can’t. We are not getting what we pay for and are about to start looking somewhere else.

Cynthia Avondale, AZ

I really hate pushing so much for my internet/wifi because it seems like there's always an outage or it lags in other words it's just slow or not working at all. Ive done every recommended solution given to by one their customer service agents or online help articles& videos.

Ac Irvine, CA

We use this company because they are the only ones serving our area. However, they have issues with the wifi modems they rent out, the problem got so bad for us that we bought our own Netgear and it works great. Another problem we had with them was their prices. We went from $90+ to $140 even when we did own our equipment. I spent about 3hrs talking to them to find out someone made a mistake on our billing. Defetnely would move to a different company if it was possible.

Walter Mruk New York, NY

I've always thought that Cox was number one and all the other internet providers just copied everything Cox did and that's why I've started with Cox and stayed with them since the beginning!

Mary Ellen Lee Gilbert, AZ

I have no complaint about the speed of my internet. It is great! In fact, I have loft Cox multiple times only to come back. The reason for the 4 stars is just the price. We have internet only and pay $75/month for the speed that a typical household would need. If Cox could just get a little more affordable it would be a 5 out of 5!!

Shelton Germaine Rogers, AR

I live in North West Arkansas, and I have had service with Cox for about 15 years. I think for the most part the service is really good, I would say 99% up time. The past 18 months or so has been less than that but there is a lot of building in my area, and I think maybe the builders are accidently cutting the line. Customer service isn't that great, I have had to contact the BBB a few times to get problems resolved, but thankfully I don't have to deal with the company much.

Amanda Barnes TX

Cox internet is TERRIBLE!! Internet frequently drops for no apparent reason. There’s only 2 of us and we don’t use that much data. Unfortunately we have no choice but to have Cox because of where we live, otherwise we oils have dropped Cox a long time ago.

kelli s Las Vegas, NV

The thing about Cox is when they’re good they’re good but when they’re bad they’re terrible. As in frequent outages, bad customer service,super high prices, etc. But the quality of their products *almost* makes you want to hang in there with them.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

Cox Internet is a great internet service provider. They came our to my house and had me up and running in no time. They have great prices and you can bundle up and save even more money.

Yael Lynchburg, VA

Cox Internet is a cost-effective alternative for medium- to high-speed internet users when compared to Spectrum and Xfinity. They offer budget-friendly high-speed plans, wide range of internet speeds to choose from and great customer service. They offer no contract internet and contract options, which is great!

Sunday Toler Matthews, NC

I had the cox gigablast plan which was about $120 per month…This speed was super-fast…We all stream and game in the house so we wanted to get the best. It is Up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) download speeds… Up to 35 Mbps upload speeds… 1.25 TB (1280 GB) monthly data included. This is Ideal for seamless 4K streaming on multiple devices, heavy gaming, multiple people learning/working from home and ultra-connected homes…We never had to worry about our live match games lagging. If you want the fastest I would say this is the one in my experience.

Doc B Decatur, GA

Good experience over 15 years. No competing internet service available so rate was not negotiable. Service was timely and efficient when needed. The rates slowly increased over time and equipment become obsolete as company made upgrades which results in an increase in fees or a modification in service or internet speeds. Terminated service cause I relocated out of area.

Michelle Kathleen, GA

We have had Cox Internet in 2 different homes. The first home was in an older neighborhood. They did not have the newer Gigablast available in that area. Because they were so concerned with upgrading all of the newer, more expensive neighborhoods, they did not put much effort into fixing our internet issues, despite constantly raising the price. We switched from them when another provider became available. When we moved to a newer neighborhood, the only available provider was Cox so we were forced to use them again, however, this neighborhood is newer and has the updated Gigablast. Because of the upgraded internet, we do not have any connection issues here. As long as that continues, we will be happy with them. I don't want to have to deal with their customer service again.

Jonathan Heng Las Vegas, NV

Cox has all the speed for my roommates since they stream and game online. It’s more than I need generally but it’s nice to know the power is there for when I want it. I just wish I could say the same for their reliability. I work nights and on my weekends, a lot of the time, I’m also awake at night because of my internal clock. Service seems to go out at night so every couple of weeks, I just don’t have service and have to go by my phone.

Trish webb Phoenix, AZ

Used this internet oroviser before my current company. Customer service was poor and plans were high. Not much support for installation and service can be spotty at times.

Debbie Hall Las Vegas, NV

I find the internet service consistent and working. The only outage was weather related and maintenance is performed in the middle of the night.

K Andres Purcellville, VA

Cox delivers a good solid Internet circuit for my business. Speeds are accurate and the latency has not been problematic.

James Richards Las Vegas, NV

I just started getting col internet. So far I love. It's fast, it was easy to have installed. And customer service is awesome. My phone is really fast and I use it for all my streaming devices. Great Andi would approve it for anyone.

DealStar South Jordan, UT

Simply the BEST Internet provider. If you have access, I highly recommend COX for your internet and cable needs. They are trustworthy, dependable, and have good customer service.

Carol Dreiling Wichita, KS

I have had Cox as my Internet provider for several years because Cox provides excellent service. Whenever I contact Cox questions or issues I have are resolved, usually the same day.

Dr Al Sarno Manhattan, KS

Cox Internet is fast and reliable. They text me on upcoming outages or sudden outages and keep me posted! Outages are infrequent and customer support is friendly and professional while being very helpful!

David Wilhelm Escondido, CA

The service is very good and they are always ready to assist you online or over the telephone if you have any questions about their service. I like that my telephone, internet and tv service is bundled together.

Tracy Scott Las Vegas, NV

I’ve always been treated fairly. They’ve been extremely helpful and efficient with delivering products to home and answering and solving problems. The 4 stars is only due to the monopoly of them being the only choice we have for a provider.

Pickgrinder Las Vegas, NV

Have been a long time customer. Both cable and WiFi service has been great and not-so-great. Their customer service has come a long way, especially their Tech Support team. During the 2020 quarantine, lots and lots of people had to work from home and the network was overloaded with too many users. Our WiFi dropped on a consistent basis daily. Looking back, Cox fixed the problem over a few months AND compensated us for service not rendered as advertised.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

I recently cut the cable but i kept the high speed internet/gigablast. There's nothing faster... period. If you request, they come out and upgrade your cables and splitters. I pay 129.00 for gigablast with included data. 5 Stars.

Dave Tanguay Sierra Vista, AZ

I live in SE Arizona. For years I had Century Link (the telephone company) DSL service. Their service was horrible as I couldn't even get 1.5 Mb/s most of the time. Three years ago I switched to Cox and signed up for Preferred Service which was 25 Mbps at that time. After some difficulty in scheduling work on getting a new cable wired to the house the service has been fantastic! I got consistent speeds and great reliability. Two years ago Cox quietly upped the speed to 50 Mbps. Speedtest.net consistently reports speeds of 60+Mbps. Since then I dropped Century Link as my landline phone provider in favor of VOIP service with Vonage. Goodbye Century Link. I hope to never have dealings with you again! This is an honest review. No one paid me to say these nice things about Cox Internet.

Steven Shimmin Tucson, AZ

Moved to a new home and Cox was the provider in the neighborhood so we decided to give them a try. Basic internet and streaming service provided at a good price. Customer service is real strong and helpful in the few times, that we had a issue, easily corrected. Customer Service even informed us of a great government program for reduced rate internet which we were able to get on board with. Local store close by also if we need other things. I would highly recommend Cox Internet

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

I was a happy to have service with Cox it was affordable, customer service was quick to resolve any problems they offered a wide variety of services including security service rather than having to go too another company instead of committing to two separate contracts with two different companies receiving my landline phone, internet and security service made my chose of being a Cox customer was an amazing choice

Rick McMurtry Las Vegas, NV

Cox cable and internet are about the most expensive bill you will have to pay next to NV energy during the summer and of course rent. They are trying to charge me for router that was already in the house to begin with plus I already turned in the equipment. You will get good channels with just a antenna and stream Netflix or Hulu ect.

Lorraine Z New Orleans, LA

I switch from Cox to AT&t because every 5 minutes I had to call someone out to do something with a box or something that wasn't working right. My mother still has Cox and her system goes down at least once every 2 months.

Matthew Locke Tucson, AZ

Has great internet service great customer service and they have great camera plans also for all your home security needs.

James Woodworth Peoria, AZ

I have had Cox Internet service for about 1 year, and am very pleased with the service. I have not had a single service issue since setup.

Unhappy Admin Null Oklahoma City, OK

I needed to edit my router settings. The settings page said they were being "automatically managed" and wouldn't allow me to edit the settings I needed to connect an older device I had that wasn't compatible with the new configurations. I could literally see the thing I needed to change right there on the page in a drop down menu that was grayed out. So I called customer service and was treated horribly. The first person I talked to transferred me to tier 2 quickly, and the tier 2 tech support guy was nice but couldn't get me what I needed. He said he would transfer me to an engineer in tier 3, but then hung up on me. I waited a little bit for a callback, but never got one. So I called again. I got stuck with a guy who was polite, but clearly didn't know what he was doing. He would repeat back to me what he thought my issue was, but it was a totally different thing. I would clarify and he would keep saying "oh so you need help with [completely wrong thing that has nothing to do with my issue]." Then he said I needed to pay $10 a month for more help. I have to pay extra to get support for a service I am already billed a high amount for?? That's ridiculous! Eventually I convinced him to pass me onto a tier 2 agent, hoping I would be able to talk to the man who had hung up on me before (probably accidentally). Then I spoke with a woman who was very rude and lied to me, saying there was no tier 3, she was the highest it went, and that there was no way anyone could change that setting I needed changed. She also tried to say I needed to pay $10 a month to receive more help. How can Cox claim to be a good business when they won't even help you when their product is faulty? I don't recommend Cox because they lie to you, are overly complicated on purpose in hopes of selling you more stuff you don't need, and refuse to give you full control over your own account even if you are a paying customer. I am the administrator for my account, I should be able to change my own settings. No one should have to pay extra for competent tech support. Honestly, what I needed wasn't even tech support. I just needed to change one setting that was already on the page. This is ridiculous.

Karen Z Tulsa, OK

The speed of the internet and the cost is affordable for what you get. And they also compensate you and try to make up for cost if your service is out for a certain amount of time.

Cindy Barber Tulsa, OK

I liked that I had the option to customize my needs with Cox. The unfortunate side is there were often downtimes both at my home and at work with Cox and it was fairly often with them.

Lynn Lheureux Smithfield, RI

Very knowledgeable customer service when you have an issue and need help. The service has cut out on only a few rare occasions like when a car hits a utility pole. The negative aspect of fox is the price and they have very little discounts.

J Allen Pensacola, FL

The speed is good. However, the website doe a poor job of informing customers of how much data is included. It reads like 1 TB, but it's only 1280MB per month for $65. Must sign a 1 year contract. In order to avoid additional charges for going over the data limit you must purchase an additional data plan, with the cheapest being $49.99 per month. This changes my bill to $120 per month. I admit, I should have shopped around more but I was moving in to a new place and needed internet to work. If you have another choice, take it.

terry r Las Vegas, NV

Cox is a pretty good cable company but they do have power outages in the Las Vegas area more frequently than most and they are very expensive. I had Cox internet services for nearly two years and my monthly fee was nearly $200.00 and I could not get them to lower my rates. I switched to DTV for a lower rate.

Peter Shimming

I have been using Cox Internet Service since I moved to America as a student. As you know that students have to do extensive research and have to connect.. Socialize on social media platforms and study online too. Moreover, I had to stay call my parents overseas on Skype, where I had to stay connected to my family on the phone too. The only activity I had at the time was to watch my favorite seasons and movies online after college or visit a social media website and interact with people. Cox Communication answered to all my needs and got me the connection that never disappointed me. It keeps me connected all the time and gives my connection a Power Booster via PowerBoost that boosts when I am transferring large files. The connection is highly secured and covers upto 5 PCs at a time. When this is not enough, McAfee has my back. Apart from all that, Cox Internet gives you around 10 email addresses and online storage so that you don't have to bother about your important files including images, video, audio, and documents. Cox Communication gives you the peace of mind and ease of use that you need. You can avail their bundle offers with a click here http://www.coxbundledeals.com/

Orsion Gainesville, FL

Not a bad company for internet and cable. They do the job they set out to do on those two aspects. As far as their security system I had it removed. It kept going off in the middle of the night even after I had a tech come out to check on it about 5 different times. I still keep the cameras and use them to check on my house while I am away but would love it if I could add the recording without having to have the entire home security system. I was told by a rep that it may be added separately in the future.

Wendy Shaw Queens, NY

Cox internet delivered fast down load speed. Reasonable data usag terms, with no throttling. Delightful customer service. Affordable for my budget. Easy to sign up on-line.. Also easy to bundle Cox cable internet with cable tv and other services. Variety of plans and options that fit my needs.

J. D. Maney Pensacola, FL

I have been a customer of Cox Internet for almost 3 years now, and have been and continue to be very satisfied with the internet service I receive from Cox. They are prompt in their response(s) to any question(s) I might have, and their customer service representatives are knowledgeable and friendly. I am one VERY happy customer!!