While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20 Mbps — $45 per month
  • 40–80 Mbps — $55 per month
  • 100–140 Mbps — $65 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $65 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.7

susie

June 5th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

i love century link. my parents have it at there house and it works so good. fast everything would recommend to anyone.

Christine Farmer

June 4th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We started off our internet service with CenturyLink. It seemed fine until early in 2016, we began to have problems with the internet dropping when the home phone line rang. We had DSL at the time so this should not have happened. When I called CenturyLink to get help, it was just a bunch of preprogrammed responses, push this button, etc... I never got to talk to a real person! This was extremely frustrating, and I tried more than once, trying different numbers, buttons, etc...So, when a Comcast representative showed up at the door, I was an easy sell.

Brooke Herbon

June 3rd, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century link is okay, I’ve had it for a few years now and the internet is often splotchy but for the most part good overall service.

Brittany Bray

May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century link is good. We don’t have the fastest internet but it gets the job done!

Janessa

May 31st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only have their internet because of where we live. Customer service is always a joke and not very helpful. The internet seems to go out way more than it should. However, they are better than Xfinity, so at least there's that.

Dale L Farmer

May 30th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had trouble getting the service I wanted. They seemed to be a big conglomerate that didn't really care for me or my business.

Martha

May 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far so good - Service is good, it is reliable and fast. At the end of each other we miss about 2 seconds of speech of whatever we are watching, not sure why.

G

May 28th, 2019 Saint George, UT

Honestly our internet is rough. I was FaceTiming my bud in South America and we kept cutting out I thought their internet was the issue cause they’re in a 3rd world country but it was us so.... yeah

Liana

May 28th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The absolute HOOPS they make you jump through when cancelling are ridiculous. Like I'm moving states buddy, just come turn this puppy off.

Jacob Shaner

May 28th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good internet speed for the price. I have a hard time getting good help whenever I call customee service. It has been hard to get a new router that is compatible with their network.

Nana Asiata

May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Centurylink is very affordable and awesome service as well. Whenever we have an issue with our internet, they are willing to fix any issues right away.

Justin specter

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good customer service the internet speed in Las Vegas needs to be better.

Ronald Birch

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are responsive to my requests but are way too expensive. The value is not there. They could improve by lowering the cost. Also there is too much interference. That is there are far too many useless Chanel's that I have no interest in. Too much advertising too.

Carrie Woodruff

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good experience. Just keep the speed up. The customer service is excellent. They really work with you. Have been with them for years

Bella Golden

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been listened to and have been provided with excellent service. I spoke with Amber and she was so patient, even though I could not decide what to do.

Shari Diehl

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are dependable and affordable. Easy to reach on the phone if you have questions. I have never had a problem they could not solve.

Erick Lovett

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Installer was very informative and provided recommendations for optimizing the internet speed

kerry perez

May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Switched to Century link from xfinity for costs savings, the experience to move was a bit cumber-sum, as their TV package came with another company, and that transition was clunky, you have to deal with them if there's any issues with programming, and they didnt provide the same service as Century link..

Craig

May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Average internet speed at a high price. I was a customer for a few years and wasn't every terribly satisfied with the service. When I found a better option I jumped on it.

Michael Lowery

May 14th, 2019 Bellevue, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Well you have to reset the box every couple of days, to have decent internet, not to happy with them.

Dean

May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century Link has been a good option for our family. The speeds seem to be nice when watching any type of streaming service and we never have a problem with outages. I would recommend them to anyone.

Reese

May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used CenturyLink in the past and I do not have access to their service where I live now. They have good speeds and service and they are easy to hook up and have very good equipment. If it was available right now I would use it again.

Ashley

May 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

While living in Provo Utah we used CenturyLink for our internet use. We were very happy with how fast the speed was throughout our home. We had 6 kids at the time and when we were all on the internet at the same time it didn't seem to affect the speed at all. We also found it very helpful to use their 24/7 technical support and internet security. The downloads were super fast as well.

Joyce

May 6th, 2019 Cedar Rapids, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My internet has been out since April 28, 2019. Everytime I call it will be on by 10:30pm Sunday. Monday morning, it will be back on by 7:00pm. Tuesday it will be back on by 3:00pm. Wednesday May 1st still no internet. The only time I received an email was when I sent feed back about contacting the FCC. Otherwise I never get to talk to repair. Every customer service rep. will tell you something different which usually contradicts what the previous one said. You never know where you end up at for customer service. One rep was in Arizona, one in Texas and I think one maybe in Louisiana. One rep said there was no outage, one rep said I had already been refunded. I asked when and she said April 26. I told her two days before the outage I was refunded. She realized that was our payment on our bill. The only good thing is I have been refunded $44 dollars but what I want is my internet back. So no I would not recommend them. Up till the 28th I had no complaints but then I had no reason to call customer service. Update to review May 2nd I called once again. I went through their aggravating recorded menu. I was transferred to a different country. I asked to be transferred state side. The rep. transferred me, I talked to a repair tech who listened to all my woes, was courteous, polite and answered my questions but most importantly walked me through the steps to get my modem up and going. She was patient throughout the 48 minute call. I asked about the outage and it had ended Wednesday but for some reason i had not got my internet back. Although I would not recommend CenturyLink, if you have them, always ask to be transferred stateside. I forgot this is what a tech told me five years ago when I had internet and phone issues.

Tom Genta

May 6th, 2019 Eagle, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Okay company. Use them mostly because of location. Limited options in our area.

Tate Huber

May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Internet connection is usually reliable, but speeds are not. I usually get slower internet than I signed up for.

Rob Whipple

May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not bad. Good customer service. They are a little slower than other providers. But decent for what you are paying.

Federico

May 6th, 2019 Apache Junction, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good service for the price. They’re services are not 5 stars but they are much better than other providers. The area where I live now doesn’t offer century link so I’m stuck with a different provider. I wish o could use century link.

Mary Van Note

April 29th, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible install: waited for 2 different technicians who told me widely different stories on what needed to be done. 6 months later internet crashed, set up repair timing, confirmed timing twice with company, then told there was. “Miscommunication” and would have to wait for a time slot another day. Have home-based business do need connectivity. I realize telecom service standards are low but recommend everyone find another option

JulieDSP

April 25th, 2019 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The service we had was OK. It went down no more than any other service but didn't always deliver the speeds we paid for. The real problem was disconnection. We were on auto pay and when we closed the account, they didn't use the autopay for the final bill - which was nothing but a "DISCONNECTION FEE". $16 plus tax. They didn't change our address to the new one we gave. So for months they kept charging us late fees for a bill we never should have had and never knew we had and then wanted $69.32 when we finally had the new resident send us the bill. They wouldn't work with removing all the fees so wanted us to pay multiple times the amount originally due despite not using the payment method had set up, not updating the address to assure we got our bill. They said I could have logged in to see the bill. But why would I log in to see a bill that shouldn't exist? It is a SCAM.

Ming

April 24th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stay away! It's about the worst Internet provider in the area. I paid for the 100Mbps package and I routinely get less than 5Mbps download. When my 24-month contract finished, I magically stopped getting paper bills as well. I called a couple of months later and it turns out CenturyLink has been charging me over $100 per month for the worst service I've ever had. Just STAY away from this company. They don't invest in their infrastructure or people. I would put their billing practice as borderline scam as well.

Juliana Jewell

April 23rd, 2019 Sierra Vista, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Way too slow. I don't appreciate being forced to add anymore comments.

Juan

April 22nd, 2019 Hamilton, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful trash. The speeds they offer here are speeds from the early 2000's, its just a joke. Pay for 10mb down and 90% of the time we are lucky to get 4mb. Yesterday the "top speed" was 1.3mb. Anytime I call they say the same thing, just reset your router... How does the Country that invented the internet now have some of the worst speeds in the World ?? It is sad that there is no competition here (Central Texas) for them.

Gabbi

April 8th, 2019 Florence, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just had to call in to discuss my bill and had the worst customer service I have EVER received. Had a man named Mike talk to me so condescending he should be ashamed of himself. Asking why can’t I make my own decision since I live in this house too. Asking me why I need my husbands permission to change part of my bill. By far makes me sick to my stomach to be talked to like this and will be canceling all services with them.

Rachel C.

March 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are a great company abd assist the best way that they can. But they beed to completely reinstall their lines that are in the ground as they are way too old.

Arlene Cleet

March 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love their 24/7 technical support line and friendlyness to help you solve any problems

Tom Andrews

March 18th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are terrible. Signal drops frequently. Speed varies and is never what they promised.

John

March 13th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible. Hire knowledgeable people and quit giving misleading infomation

Viv

February 19th, 2019 Winter Garden, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stay away from CenturyLink! Dont switch! Dont believe what they say. The internet is very slow, down time a lot, you will have no internet for days. I have no internet for 2 weeks, I called every day, made appointment 4 times, no one show up to fix. Then I cancelled the service, they charge for disconnection fee, cheating fee, rip off fee, robbing fee, liar fee and I end up with the big bill, even though my bill paid up to date. We are all victims . I surprise that they still exist in the US

Kelsie

February 14th, 2019 Seattle, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I transferred services out of state and the customer service rep never set up a new account for me. I received past due charges even though I was on autopay through my new address. I went one week without internet as I was constantly transferred from department to department, never receiving my refund as promised . Very incompetent customer service, STAY AWAY

Pasimata

February 13th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company. Great price. We’ve had them for 2 years and the speed is awesome.

Michelle Mortimer

February 13th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am happy with my internet service with CenturyLink. They provide me with fast enough internet to accomplish what I need.

Londyn Berrett

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had centurylink broadband for several years. The service we were paying for was never the service we were getting. The quality and reliability of broadband is not good. They also consistently raise prices for loyal customers which gets old. You then need to call in and haggle to get a new customer price. This is a broken business model that most internet and cable providers employ. We stopped supporting it and tried another offering which we are much happier with.

Kiersty Loughmiller

February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The speed is awesome and we have better wi-fi throughout our house than with our previous provider. So far we have had zero problems!

David Mortimer

February 13th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Haven't been to happy with this product. Really it's the best option for the price, but you don't ever get the speeds that they advertise.

DHIRAJ

February 12th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WORLD. I order to cancel my service on December 26th 2018 but somehow there system does not cancel the service till Jan 9th 2019. So I ended up with $108.00 bill which I did not think I owed. To avoid any bad credit and I went ahead made that payment anyway. Since I had setup auto payment they take money out of account as well which ended being 2 payment. To resolve this issue I had to call/chat Centurylink 5 times. Spend atleast 2 hours of time to resolve this issue. NEVER AGAIN...

Steve Anderson

February 12th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used CentryLink for several years. It's not because we want to, it because they are the only service we have available in our neighborhood. For some reason, no other company offers service in our neighborhood, while they do to the surrounding neighborhoods. The service is amazingly slow. I've spoken with service personnel about this. They promise me the world and deliver me very little. For example, I called complaining that download times were painfully slow. The promised to upgrade me to an extremely high download rate. However, the problem is that they say that they cannot fix our internet service for this area to anything faster speed, so increasing my delivery speed isn't even an option. The deliver system apparently is not even in place to increase my delivery speed. I would quite using IMMEDIATELY if I had another service I could go with.

S Suguturaga

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I cancelled services due to poor service and better pricing through a competitor, the process was very frustrating. I was transferred to different departments multiple times and it took a few weeks to resolve and finally cancel the plan.

Jeff B

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink was very slow and seemed to have a lot of outages. The speed was slow and I was always having issues. Whenever I contacted support they told me they were working on it. I wouldn't recommend CenturyLink to anyone looking for internet.

Christy Suguturaga

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internet service we had was good but the lock in plans that we were talked into were overpriced and we felt tricked with every customer service phone call. Always trying to push something on us like it was a better deal only it was just more money. We ended up switching to get out of the pressure.