SmileDirectClub is one of the largest and least expensive clear aligner (invisible braces) companies in the dental industry. While other large companies will require visits to a dental professional, SmileDirectClub can provide a completely “dentist-appointment free” experience at a fraction of the cost with its remote dentists and orthodontists.

Beginning in 2014, SmileDirectClub has helped over one million people straighten their crooked teeth and transform their smiles without the discomfort of conventional metal brackets and wires. SmileDirectClub also has a quick treatment time of four to six months.

With over 6,300 team members and more than 390 SmileShops globally, SmileDirectClub is experiencing rapid growth.

The Good

• SmileDirectClub Cost
  • Straighter Teeth in Four to Six Months
  • Nighttime Straightening Option
  • Easy Three-Step Process
  • Flexible Pricing Options
  • Teeth Whitening Included
  • Ships Internationally
  • Club Warranty
  • Customer Support
  • Reviews
  • Oral Care and Whitening Products

SmileDirectClub Cost

The average price in the clear aligners industry is around $1,900. SmileDirectClub charges $1,895 for one-time payments — one of the least expensive in the industry (Cost may vary based on country and currency).

If customers want to pay monthly payments, they make a $250 one-time deposit along with $85 per month for 24 months. Making monthly payments does end up being a bit more expensive than paying all at once, totaling $2,290. This includes the impression kit (used to help design your treatment plan) and the clear aligners themselves. This price, however, does not include a retainer, which costs an additional $99.

SmileDirectClub is slightly less expensive than other companies within the clear aligners and clear braces industry. This is especially true if you factor in that SmileDirectClub's treatment does not require you to make regular visits to a dental office, so you save on office visit costs.

SmileDirectClub’s prices are significantly less expensive than traditional metal braces, which can cost around $5,000 without insurance and around $3,500 with insurance.

SmileDirectClub claims that it will straighten your teeth for up to 60 percent less money than other treatment options, but this is likely a comparison to metal braces, not a comparison to other clear braces companies.

Straighter Teeth in Four to Six Months

The duration of each customer’s teeth alignment process will vary due to the severity of misalignment. On average, SmileDirectClub can straighten a customer’s teeth between four and six months of treatment. This is done by wearing clear aligners (a clear plastic retainer) 22 hours a day for up to six months. This is generally quite a bit quicker than metal braces and traditional orthodontic care.

Nighttime Straightening Option

SmileDirectClub now offers an even simpler way to straighten teeth — aligners that only need to be worn in the evenings. For those who are not feeling excited to commit to 22 hours of aligner wearing per day, this new nighttime product is the solution. Those who opt for the nighttime option are only committed to wear the aligners for 10 continuous hours a day, most of which should be while you are asleep. Because of the shortened daily wear time, the overall process will take a bit longer, averaging out at around 10 months.

Easy Three-Step Process

There are three steps in the straightening process at SmileDirectClub. This process is similar to most other clear aligners.

1. Making an impression of the teeth — SmileDirectClub will make a 3D image of the customer’s teeth to prepare different sets of clear plastic aligners to straighten the teeth.

The 3D image is made in one of two ways: customers can either visit one of SmileDirectClub’s SmileShops for a free scan of their teeth. The other option is to pay $49 for SmileDirectClub to send an impression kit to the customers’ homes, which walks customers through taking an impression of their teeth by holding plastic trays with a tasteless putty in their mouth. This creates an impression mold of the customer's teeth so the company can create a 3D representation.

2. Completing the treatment — SmileDirectClub will produce aligners that are specifically designed for each customer and send them to their house. Each set of aligners will be worn for a predetermined time, with each set becoming increasingly straighter, aligning the customer’s crooked teeth along the way.

An orthodontist or licensed dentist will monitor the customer’s progress remotely, eliminating the need for customers to visit the dentist.

3. Purchasing a retainer — Once the teeth are straightened and the treatment is finished, customers will need to purchase a set of retainers for $99 to be worn at night, so the straight teeth don’t move out of place again.

SmileDirectClub recommends that customers purchase a new set of retainers every six months.

Flexible Pricing Options

So how can you pay for SmileDirectClub?

There are two payment options and costs for clear aligner treatment. You can pay all at once, or you can pay monthly. Monthly payments do not require a credit check.

• $1,895 for a one-time payment
  • $85 monthly payments, totaling $2,290 (this includes the $250 down payment)

SmileDirectClub accepts payment through Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Accounts (HSA), and CareCredit.

Depending on your dental insurance plan, you may receive a reimbursement of up to $600 through your insurance provider.

Teeth Whitening Included

SmileDirectClub includes teeth whitening products in its teeth straightening treatment packages at no extra cost. Other companies in the industry will charge extra if you want to include whitening products. This is only available in the United States and Canada.

Ships Internationally

SmileDirectClub is currently available in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, UK, Germany, and Hong Kong.

Club Warranty

All customers receive their SmilePlan, or a 3D view of their treatment plan, within 72 hours of their scan appointment or impression kit return. Aligners are custom-made and shipped to the customer within about five weeks depending on the country.

Customers have up until 30 days after receiving their aligners to return them for a full refund. If customers aren’t satisfied with their results, SmileDirectClub offers free re-evaluations for customers and can provide additional aligners. This is at no cost if SmileDirectClub is notified within 30 days of treatment ending.

Customer Support

SmileDirectClub offers 24/7 customer support via phone, chat, text, and email. The company has a dental team that is available via phone, email, chat, and video to assist with concerns, such as fit issues, progress concerns, or general treatment questions.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

BestCompany.com has collected hundreds of reviews from verified SmileDirectClub customers. Overall, SmileDirectClub has a 4.0 rating with most customers very happy with their final results. Other customers cited the convenience, affordability, quick results, and customer support as key points in their high ratings.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Nancy Solis from Elgin, IL

"SmileDirectClub has been so attentive with us through the entire process. If we have a question, they get back to us right away with an answer. We have seen amazing results and are completely satisfied."

Oral Care and Whitening Products

In addition to providing a cost-effective teeth straightening option, SmileDirectClub has expanded into oral care products. The company offers items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, water flossers, and even a UV cleaning machine.

These products are widely available in the United States through SmileDirectClub's website and at Walmart (United States only). All products come highly rated on both Walmart and SmileDirectClub’s websites. SmileDirectClub is the only clear aligner brand to offer a one-stop-shop of oral care products.

The Bad

Retainer Not Included

Not only must you pay $99 for a set of retainers at SmileDirectClub, but the company recommends that you buy a new one every six months in order to keep your teeth straight.

Other clear aligner companies will include retainers as a part of their overall package. In addition, some companies also provide lifetime guarantees, so that in the event that your teeth do need an additional alignment or corrective dental work on your teeth or gums, the cost is covered. SmileDirectClub does not provide such guarantees.

The Bottom Line

SmileDirectClub is the largest in-home clear aligners provider in the country and claims to represent around 95 percent of the doctor-directed at-home clear aligner industry. With over 6,300 team members and more than 390 SmileShops, the company provides a great product for an affordable price.

Not only do the invisible aligners straighten teeth in much less time than traditional metal braces, they do it in an average of four to six months. We highly recommend customers in search of straighter teeth consider SmileDirectClub alongside the other top invisible aligner companies.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.1

anne

June 30th, 2020 Hilton, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was offered deal of $1895 for aligners with $200 off coupon at 74.55 per month. They sent a contract for over $2200. I said no that was not the offer. They were rude and said oh well we will cancel then. So, instead, they charged me a second time. So now they have $500 of mine, with no refund in sight. I call and go on their chat every day, each time they said, Oh ill process that today...this has happened 5X. Still no refund. I do not want anymore to do with this company. It seems as though they are careless with other peoples money and do not provide customer assurance. Fraudulant charges made to my bank.

Jun 30, 2020

Hello Anne, this is disappointing to see. One should not have to experience delays during their smile journey. For further assistance, please give us a call at 800-689-0053. Best, Valerie

Brian Heff

June 29th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I tried the smiledirectclub system. They did work but now I have one cracked tooth and a crown that popped off. The dentist said it was direct result of improper pressure added to my teeth. Now I get to spend $5000 having them removed and implants placed. Bad part is I'm stuck paying the rest of the treatment to Smiledirectclub, have crooked teeth and now 2 implants.

Jun 29, 2020

Hello Brian, this is very concerning to see. If a club member has any issues during their smile journey that is dental related, one can give us a call to be transferred to speak with our Dental Team immediately. For further assistance, please give us a call at 800-689-0053. Best, Valerie

Maria Muresan

June 25th, 2020 Youngstown, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What a scam. Buyer BEWARE!! I ordered the impressions kit from my daughter after them saying with our dental insurance once it was paid for I could apply for reimbursement. When I sent the impressions back I authorized my Care Credit Card for the full amount so I could then submit to my insurance. Well low and behold after they cleaned out my bank account (the card I used to order the impression kit) I called them and now have to wait 10 days for a refund, and they would not remove my bank card. They told me my care credit was "declined" so they took upon themselves to charge my bank card, which was not authorized, instead of contacting me to clear it up or get another form of payment. Care Credit said my account was fine there should be NO reason it was supposedly declined, and that Smile Direct was not even on their list of companies that use Care Credit! I would avoid this place at ALL costs they lie!! And just a little side note the one thing we asked them to straighten, they didn't on the smile plan, so I guess it's good we didn't go through with it all the way, that would have been an even bigger disappointment.

Jun 25, 2020

Hello Maria, this is very concerning to hear as no one should feel that we are a scam and liars. One should be very excited to get started with us and confident in the process. For assistance, please give us a call at 800-689-0053. Best, Valerie

EvieLiviStefan Olah

June 22nd, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We did not have a good experience. We live in Atlanta. Our local Smile Direct is closed until further notice due to covid. She had a very slight over lap of her two front teeth. The aligners moved her teeth, but not in a straight direction, so now the two front teeth are angled and separated but not straight and aligned. We need a new round of retainers because the first round did not correct any issues. We can not reach the local office and they are not picking up on the 800#. I finally called in using the prompts for new patient and they picked up right away. The only way they will send new retainers is if I pay more money. We havent even finished the 18 months originally contracted and they want more money. So- $85 a month for the last 20 months and we are not any where near aligned. Plus, we would have to do the photos and impressions ourselves cause the Atlanta office is closed. I want my money back but that is never going to happen because of how their contract is written. A total waste of time and money.

Jun 23, 2020

Hello, we are concerned to hear this as we want everyone to love their new smile. Please reach out to [email protected] for further assistance. Best, Valerie

SJ

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I knew I had crooked teeth but the smile direct club gave me a huge straight smile. So Thankful, I can’t stop smiling!

Jun 16, 2020

We love your enthusiasm, SJ. Thanks so much!

Sarah Brown

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the easiness of them but my smile could be straighter. They never sent me the email for my warranty so I prob can’t get them to give me more aligners to get them completely straight

Gil Pusen

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

By far the best value I’ve found was with SmileDirect Club. The customer service employees on the phone weren’t always the most professional, but overall, I am satisfied with the product and my results.

Jun 16, 2020

We truly appreciate you leaving us this feedback, Gil.

Aminah Muhammad

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The process was simple and easy to follow. Some of my aligners didn’t fit correctly. And I had a problem getting my retainers through the website.

Jun 16, 2020

We truly appreciate you leaving us this feedback. Thank you, Aminah.

Tom Kushner

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So easy. Great followup service. My smile looks awesome and now I’ll keep it!

Jun 16, 2020

This review makes us smile. Thank you, Tom!

Laura P

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great start. Aligners often had very jagged edges and had to be sanded down a lot and I added brace wax to wear them all day. After a few months there was little engagement except a few automated emails. My bite is off slightly so one tooth moves back and forth and my molars don’t all touch anymore. Love the whitening pens.

Jun 16, 2020

Laura, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. If you are still experiencing issues, please reach out to us at 800-848-7566 for further assistance.

Patrice Brown

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I chose 3 because I finished the plan but I had an issue with my bottom teeth so I’m going to have to get new aligners and start over.

Jun 16, 2020

Patrice, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear that you did not achieve your desired results with the first set of aligners. However, we look forward to getting you the smile you deserve through a re-evaluation. Please feel free to give us a call at 800-848-7566 if you have any questions or concerns along the way.

Billy Newman

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to follow steps. Good follow up to remind you when it’s time to change out.

Jun 16, 2020

We truly appreciate you leaving us this feedback, Billy.

Katelynn Byrge

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I first started my smile journey my smile was a mess. After starting my teeth looked amazing. Everyone I’ve talked to at smiledirect has been super nice and helpful.

Jun 16, 2020

Katelynn, thanks for making our day with this amazing review!

Nicole Williams

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Because they’re sharp and cut my lips and my tongue. But I do love that my teeth are a lot straighter I wish my bottom ones would’ve turned out better that’s why I gave you a four-star

Jun 16, 2020

We truly appreciate you leaving us this feedback, Nicole.

Cole Sparkman

June 16th, 2020 Nashville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

easy to use and not painful, no metal and no monthly visits

Jun 16, 2020

We truly appreciate you leaving us this feedback, Cole.

April Brown

June 16th, 2020 Benicia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very professional, great customer service

Jun 16, 2020

This is what we like to hear!

Irma Cruz

June 16th, 2020 Whitestown, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was easy with fast results, and low price was excellent.

Jun 16, 2020

We love providing a convenient and cost-effective product for our customers. Thank you so much, Irma!

Jennifer McCoy

June 16th, 2020 Utica, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience from start to finish! Very happy with my results!

Jun 16, 2020

Jennifer, we love seeing this!

Anita Herren

June 16th, 2020 Joshua, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are very thorough and respond quickly to questions.

Jun 16, 2020

This is what we like to hear, Anita!

Florence Torchia

June 16th, 2020 Ocala, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Courteous, thorough & attentive . Always willing to answer questions no matter what time of day or night. They contact constantly to make sure all is going well

Jun 16, 2020

Florence, thank you so much for the support!

Dina Divine

June 16th, 2020 Claremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like how my teeth turned out and that it was all done at home

Jun 16, 2020

Dina, thanks for leaving us a review! We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your Smile Journey.

Julia Curiel

June 16th, 2020 Richmond, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delayed on deliver, too many emails, waiting time too long for a phone call to be answered

Carla

June 16th, 2020 Jonesboro, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They left my smile looking better than ever!

Jun 16, 2020

This review means the world to us. Thank you, Carla!

Angel Cortes

June 16th, 2020 Hollister, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best customer service, the people that I had meant were very friendly, answered all my questions and concerns.

Jun 16, 2020

We appreciate you taking the time to share some kind words!

Karen Becerra

June 16th, 2020 Anaheim, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I didn't expect such great result in such little time. Beyond amazed.

Jun 16, 2020

Karen, we appreciate the 5-star review! We are grinning from ear to ear.

Sydney

June 16th, 2020 Macomb, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My teeth are STRAIGHT! My bite is off but my teeth are at least straight!

Jun 16, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review, Sydney!

Desiree

June 16th, 2020 Hollywood, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really enjoyed having to wear my aligners for only 6 moths. My teeth are perfect now. Anytime I had an issue, customer service was very helpful.

Jun 16, 2020

This review makes us smile. Thank you, Desiree!

Shanique Bailey

June 16th, 2020 Pontiac, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very quick and easy as well as affordable

Jun 16, 2020

We love providing a convenient and cost-effective product for our customers. Thank you so much, Shanique!

Kristine Baron

June 16th, 2020 El Paso, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like my smile tech, I like the idea of no braces. I would like to see the product made a little better. For the money they should fit better and we we should not have to try to adjust so much ourselves.

Jun 16, 2020

We truly appreciate you leaving us this feedback, Kristine.

Crystal Flores

June 16th, 2020 South El Monte, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible customer service during Covid-19

Livy Erickson

June 16th, 2020 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

fast and effective product and well priced for the results

Jun 16, 2020

We love providing a convenient and cost-effective product for our customers. Thank you so much, Livy!

Ajirola Akeredolu

June 16th, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They give great customer service and friendliness

Jun 16, 2020

This is what we like to hear! Thank you, Ajirola.

Denise

June 16th, 2020 Carmichael, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very communicative and available; easy to follow instructions throughout the process; very economical compared to other options

Jun 16, 2020

We love providing a convenient and cost-effective product for our customers. Thank you so much, Denise!

Cody Joslin

June 16th, 2020 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience from beginning to end great customer service and great results

Jun 16, 2020

We truly appreciate you leaving us this feedback, Cody.

Victoria

June 16th, 2020 Findlay, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great guidance for when to use aligners, how long, and how to take care of them. Like that all are sent at once.

Jun 16, 2020

Victoria, we appreciate the 5-star review! We are grinning from ear to ear.

Carmen Mendez

June 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are excellent. Smile Direct Club transformed my life. I did not enjoy smiling because of my teeth and now I am always smiling. People ask me where I got this new smile and when I tell them Smile Direct Club they become interested.

Jun 16, 2020

Carmen, we love seeing this! Thank you so much.

Karen Bucknum

June 16th, 2020 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my new smile :) the process was simple yet effective!

Jun 16, 2020

Karen, we love seeing this!

Berni

June 16th, 2020 Wheat Ridge, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very happy with results I had minor overcrowding that I wanted to correct.

Jun 16, 2020

This review makes us smile. Thank you, Berni!

Julia Rutherford

June 16th, 2020 Hammond, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A great experience, and I love my new smile. However I would like to further adjust my new smile...

Donna Manning

June 16th, 2020 Mooringsport, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are great they really take care of ur ne ed ds

Jun 16, 2020

Donna, thank you so much for the support!

Lucy Dang

June 16th, 2020 Memphis, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Responsive and resolved my issue quickly. I am satisfied with my customer service experience.

Jun 16, 2020

This is what we like to hear! Thank you so much, Lucy.

Luke

June 16th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The product is great, and worked for me as advertised when used as directed. When I had customer service questions, their staff was friendly and helpful, and met my request. Their email and technical support system has a few bugs, but the staff happily worked around them. I'm a satisfied customer.

Jun 16, 2020

Luke, we’re thrilled to hear it!

Kendra Zell

June 16th, 2020 Pacific Grove, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was an easy process from start to finish. Everyone was very professional and knowledgeable. The aligners worked just as described and now my teeth are straight and look great!

Jun 16, 2020

Kendra, we’re thrilled to hear it!

Lauren fragel

June 16th, 2020 Perrysburg, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They changed my smile and made beautiful

Jun 16, 2020

This review means the world to us. Thank you, Lauren!

Ashley Murariu

June 16th, 2020 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started with SmileDirect worried my teeth were going to be in a bad place forever! Although! SmileDirect changed my life, so much better than Invisiline! and So much cheaper! i love Smile Direct

Jun 16, 2020

We love providing a convenient and cost-effective product for our customers. Thank you so much, Ashley!

Ashmahan Webb

June 16th, 2020 Morrow, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service, very satisfied with my new smile

Jun 16, 2020

Ashmahan, we’re thrilled to hear it!

Marquette

June 16th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service works, 100% satisfied. I chipped my front tooth as a child and got it fixed years ago creating a bigger gap than before. This killed my confidence. My gap was GONE in little time.

Jun 16, 2020

Thank you for this glowing review, Marquette!

Henry

June 16th, 2020 Mechanicsville, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

easy and effective. Liked not having to go to the orthodontist

Jun 16, 2020

Henry, we love seeing this!

Salvador

June 16th, 2020 Richmond, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cheaper than braces and customer service was incredible

Jun 16, 2020

Salvador, thank you so much for the support!

Joanne Medvedeff

June 16th, 2020 Hilton Head Island, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Incredible product, quick results however my teeth are not perfectly straight.close enough