SmileDirectClub is one of the largest and cheapest clear aligners (invisible braces) companies in the dental industry. While other large companies will require visits to a dental professional, SmileDirectClub can provide a completely “dentist-appointment free” experience at a fraction of the cost with their remote dentists and orthodontists.

Beginning in 2014, SmileDirectClub has helped over 750,000 people straighten their crooked teeth and transform their smile without the discomfort of conventional metal brackets and wires.

With over 5,000 employees and 375+ SmileShops, SmileDirectClub is experiencing rapid growth.

#1 byte chevron_right
4.9
#2 Smilelove chevron_right

The Good

• SmileDirectClub Cost
  • Straighter Teeth in Six Months
  • Nighttime Straightening Option
  • Easy Three-Step Process
  • Flexible Pricing Options
  • Teeth Whitening Included
  • Ships Internationally

SmileDirectClub Cost

The average price in the clear aligners industry is around $1,900. SmileDirectClub charges $1,895 for one-time payments — the cheapest in the industry

If customers want to pay monthly payments, they make a $250 one-time payment along with $85 per month for 24 months. Making monthly payments does end up being a bit more expensive than paying all at once, totaling $2,170. This includes the impression kit (used to help design your treatment plan), and the clear aligners themselves. This price, however, does not include a retainer, which costs an additional $99.

SmileDirectClub is slightly cheaper than other companies within the clear aligners and clear braces industry. This is especially true if you factor in that SmileDirectClub's treatment does not require you to make regular visits to a dental office, so you save on office visit costs.

SmileDirectClub’s prices are much cheaper than traditional metal braces, which can cost around $5,000 without insurance and around $3,500 with insurance.

SmileDirectClub claims that it will straighten your teeth for 60 percent less money than other brands, but this is likely a comparison to metal braces, not a comparison to other clear braces companies.

Straighter Teeth in Six Months

The duration of each customer’s teeth alignment process will vary due to the severity of misalignment. On average, SmileDirectClub can straighten a customer’s teeth after just six months of treatment. This is done by wearing clear aligners (a clear plastic retainer) 22 hours a day for up to around 6 months. This is generally quite a bit quicker than metal braces and traditional orthodontic care.

Nighttime Straightening Option

SmileDirectClub now offers and even simpler way to straighten teeth — aligners that only need to be worn in the evenings. For those who are not feeling excited to commit to 22 hours of aligner wearing per day, this new nighttime product is the solution. Those who opt for the nighttime option are only committed to wear the aligners for 10 continuous hours a day, most of which should be while you are asleep. Because of the shortened daily wear time, the overall process will take a bit longer, averaging out at around 10 months wear the clear aligners.

Easy Three-Step Process

There are three steps in the straightening process at SmileDirectClub. This process is similar to most other clear aligners.

1. Making an impression of the teeth. SmileDirectClub will make a 3D image of the customer’s teeth to prepare different sets of clear plastic aligners to straighten the teeth.

The 3D image is made in one of two ways: customers can either visit one of SmileDirectClub’s SmileShops for a free scan of their teeth. The other option is to pay $49 for SmileDirectClub to send an impression kit to the customers’ homes, which walks customers through taking an impression of their teeth by holding plastic trays with a tasteless putty in their mouth. This creates an impression mold of the customer's teeth so the company can create a 3D representation.

2. The treatment. SmileDirectClub will produce aligners that are specifically designed for each customer and sends them to their house. Each set of aligners will be worn for a predetermined time, with each set becoming increasingly straighter, aligning the customer’s crooked teeth along the way.

An orthodontist or licensed dentist will monitor the customer’s progress remotely, eliminating the need for customers to visit the dentist.

3. Once the teeth are straightened and the treatment is finished, customers will need to purchase a set of retainers for $99, to be worn at night so the straight teeth don’t move out of place again.

SmileDirectClub recommends that customers purchase a new set of retainers every six months.

Flexible Pricing Options

So how can you pay for SmileDirectClub?

There are two payment options and costs for clear aligner treatment. You can pay all at one, or can pay monthly.

• $1,895 for a one-time payment
  • $85 monthly payments, totaling to $2,170 (beginning with a $250 down payment)

SmileDirectClub accepts payment through Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Accounts (HSA), and CareCredit.

Depending on your dental insurance plan, you may receive a reimbursement of up to $600 through your insurance provider.

Teeth Whitening Included (US/CA only)

SmileDirectClub includes teeth whitening products in its teeth straightening treatment packages at no extra cost. Other companies in the industry will charge extra if you want to include whitening products.

Ships Internationally

SmileDirectClub is available in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, UK, and Hong Kong.

The Bad

• Down Payment Requirement
  • Retainer Not Included
  • Smile Direct Club Reviews

Down Payment Requirement

SmileDirectClub requires a $250 down payment to begin its monthly payment plan. On top of the cost for the in-home impression kit, it could cost customers around $299 to sign up for teeth aligners through SmileDirectClub.

Retainer Not Included

Not only must you pay $99 for a set of retainers at SmileDirectClub, but the company recommends that you buy a new one every six months in order to keep your teeth straight.

Other clear aligner companies will include retainers as a part of their overall package. In addition, some companies also provide lifetime guarantees, so that in the event that your teeth do need an additional alignment or corrective dental work on your teeth or gums, the cost is covered. SmileDirectClub does not provide such guarantees.

Smile Direct Club Reviews

While BestCompany.com doesn't yet have a large number of customer reviews of SmileDirectClub's services, some customers have expressed frustration with its customer services, often having to wait a long time before being able to get in contact with or resolve their problems. Other customers have expressed that their aligners caused discomfort to their teeth and gums. That being said, straightening your teeth requires teeth to be moved, so some discomfort, especially early on, is to be expected.

The Bottom Line

SmileDirectClub is the largest in-home iclear aligners provider in the country and claims to represent around 95 percent of the doctor-directed at-home clear aligner industry. With over 5,000 employees and 375+ SmileShops, the company provides a great product for an affordable price.

Not only do the invisible aligners straighten teeth in much less time than traditional metal braces, they do it in an average of six months. We highly recommend customers in search of straighter teeth to consider SmileDirectClub alongside the other top invisible aligners companies.

2.1

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Nikki
December 11th, 2019 Brookfield, WI DETAILS

NOTHING BUT A HEADACHE !!! The first problem I had with smiles direct was I lost a liner and called to order it and it never came ( takes 4 weeks for replacement) I called and the order was NEVER even placed! So they re- ordered for me ( ANOTHER FOUR WEEKS) and they NEVER came AGAIN! Called them and AGIAN they NEVER ordered them!! So they reorders AGAIN, this time they did finally come FOUR WEEKS LATER!. Went on my way with my 6 month journey only to not have my teeth be completely straight After six months so I stated a “ revision” which is 3 more months of liners ( took 2.5 months to get the revision ) however the first set didn’t fit ! So I had to wait two more two more months for the new revision and that set didn’t fit either!! I’ve been wearing the SAME liners for 4.5 months now !!!! And now I have a huge gap between one of my back teeth that constantly bleeds!! . I see that smiles direct Supposedly answers these reviews and contacts the reviewer, I wonder how true that is and can’t wait to find out because so far they have done NOTHING for me!!

Dec 11, 2019

Hi Nikki, thank you for taking the time to leave us with this review. We are concerned to hear this and would like to help. We did experience a high order volume in all order types prompting delays but we are working to catch up on all orders. I will be reaching out via direct message to further assist. Best, Jeffrey.

Holly M
December 11th, 2019 Monroeville, PA DETAILS

Total run around regarding my retainers. I am so disappointed after my diligence during my 6 months of aligners that all my hard work if going by the way side because it’s now been over 4 months that I have been waiting on properly fitting retainers. I have had 2 sets shipped to me after extremely long delays that did not fit. Now I am awaiting yet a third pair after having to get rescanned again! The latest update to me today after I have expressed the urgency to get my order expedited is : We recently had a significant increase of retainers orders and a small set of retainers orders ended up being delayed. At this point, yours were caught behind in the queue. We do apologize and will be able to get them to you shortly. That is unacceptable Smile Direct!! You people have zero regard for your customers! Please anyone reading this, find a more reputable company!!!!

Dec 11, 2019

Hi Holly, thank you for taking the time to leave us with this feedback. We are concerned to hear this as we take pride in the care and assistance our customer care teams provide. In order to better assist, we will be reaching out via DM to help. Best, Jeffrey.

Betsy
December 10th, 2019 DETAILS

After my dazzling appointment/scan where everyone was helpful and smiling, my aligners arrived. They were poorly made, always requiring refining with a nail file. The third set was awful, with the aligner sticking straight out by the molars and slicing my tongue. Customer service wanted a picture. Hard to take a picture of the dark back of your mouth with one hand holding the camera and the other holding a flashlight. At that point started reading reviews and there were hundreds - most of them bad. I returned it all lock, stock and barrel. Fortunately it was well within the 30 days. Even so, I sent them the tracking number and notified them every day of the tracking progress. When it arrived, I sent an e-mail asking when I'd receive my refund and they claimed that they couldn't find the package. I sent them screen shots of the proof of delivery and the name of the person who signed for it. I DID get a refund, but after reading the reviews, I think had I not constantly followed up and made sure I had that proof of delivery, I would still be waiting. Maybe not. I have Invisalign now. Way more money, but they fit and I don't have to make adjustments with a nail file. Smile Direct sinks all their money into marketing instead of a quality product.

Dec 10, 2019

Hello Betsy, we are disappointed to hear this as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. Best, Valerie

Jay Anderson
December 10th, 2019 Nashville, TN DETAILS

I had an incredible experience with SmileDirectClub! My SmileShop visit was so fun and informative, and the aligners fit just right each week.

Dec 10, 2019

Hello Jay, your wonderful feedback and rating mean a lot to us.

Susan
December 6th, 2019 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS

After obtaining a scan in an OKC smile shop I waited 10 days for the aligners to arrive to Canada. I completed 5 of 6 month plan before having to get a rescan for teeth that weren’t tracking. Waited 5 weeks for 2 months of refinements and the first week of each month was made incorrectly. Just finishing those refinements and have slight corrections still to go and may need another set of refinements. Customer service is not a strong suit with Smile Direct Club but I have had a liaison (the gentleman who convinced me to make my order) and having him has made a huge difference. I would do it again!

Dec 06, 2019

We truly appreciate your kind words, Susan. Feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] if you ever need anything. Best, Thom

Mary Bennett
December 3rd, 2019 Sumrall, MS DETAILS

They sent us the wrong aligners for month six of a seven month treatment plan. I have called, fb messaged, and emailed this company too many times to count. In September they said the correct aligners would be shipped in seven to ten days. It is now December and we have no aligners and they will not refund our money. We are still being charged every month for a service we do not even have. Save yourself the time and money and go another route. You will be thankful you did.

Dec 03, 2019

Hi there, Mary. Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. We are concerned to see this and we'd love to help. I will be reaching out via private message to speak further with you. Best, Thom

Lily
November 27th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I loved using smile. They worked great on my teeth. After a few months or a year they corrected my teeth.

Nov 27, 2019

Hello Lily, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear this and want nothing more than for every club member to have the new smile that they deserve.

Bob Stratton
November 22nd, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS

Everything started out great and thought I made a good choice in selecting company. First and second set of aligners broke (cracked). Called company and they promised expedited replacement to continue process. Still waiting 3 weeks later and now told their is no such thing as expedited ( i have to wait 6 weeks and start the process over) but they did promise a free retainer in the end. No thanks. You wasted 3 months of my time and will not reach my goal to have aligned teeth for very important engagement. They have lots of excuses. I do not recommend.

Nov 22, 2019

Hello Bob, thank you for leaving us a review. We are disappointed to hear this and we do not want anyone to feel this way during their smile journey. I will be sending you a private message for further assistance. Best, Valerie

Logan Rosselli
November 18th, 2019 Corona, CA DETAILS

Would not recommend at all. Everything was fine with my aligners, and then I had to get my retainer. They sent me the wrong one. Not a big deal - mistakes happen, I'll just let them know to resend it. So they send me a new one. It's the wrong size again. So now I'm annoyed but I get sent new ones. Wrong AGAIN. Now they have just sent me two months worth of new aligners. I don't need aligners, I need retainers! Horrible job done by a horrible company.

Nov 18, 2019

Hello Logan, we are very disappointed to hear this and would love to assist. I will be sending you a private message to get this resolved. Best, Valerie

Godhwani
November 18th, 2019 Englewood Cliffs, NJ DETAILS

I was on my 3rd month, when the aligners did not fit, went to the paramus center where they took a scan in August and said I would be getting new ones in a month, Its November unto date have not received anything, am still using August aligners which are loose now, customer service won't return my calls, got a call from Hailey once which i missed have been trying to reach her no success. I am lost don't know what to do, they won't call all they offer is free retainers. Its been over 6 months my treatment has just stopped. I wish i can give them good reviews and def will once I get treated which looks very difficult now.

Nov 18, 2019

Hello Godhwani, we're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, I will be sending you a private message. Best, Valerie

Regina
November 14th, 2019 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS

0 stars, aligners crumbled in my mouth Trying hard to get all my health savings account Money back. If they moved one tooth they want to keep half your money!

Nov 14, 2019

Hi Regina. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, I will be reaching out to you via DM. Thank you, Thom

Jackie C.
November 13th, 2019 Nashville, TN DETAILS

I started nighttime only aligners which no other companies offer. It would be really difficult with my job to have to wear aligners all day so night time only is perfect. I am almost done with the plan and my teeth look INCREDIBLE!!!! The process has been really painless and the folks at the Smile shop I visited were incredibly helpful. I am just LOVING my new smile!!!! FINALLY... a solution for me that doesn't require months of ugly trays in my mouth all day. : )

Nov 13, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us this great review, Jackie!

Donna
November 13th, 2019 Bridgeport, WV

BUYER BEWARE!! My daughter chose Smile Direct because of the price. Ever heard the old saying that you get what you pay for? Well that would be a stretch! She followed the instructions and wound up with loose teeth!! From what we understand, this is a frequent problem with Smile Direct. We had one dentist tell us that she has had multiple patients that have had the same problem and several patients that have actually LOST TEETH!! How is this company still in business?!

Nov 13, 2019

Hey Donna. We take our customer's health very seriously and we are upset to see that this was not reflected in your review. I will be reaching out via DM to speak further with you. Best, Thom

Quinn
November 6th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Read these reviews! Go to another company! Wish I had read reviews before I invested. My story is the same as everyone else’s. Terrible customer service and still crooked teeth. First six months of aligners did not complete straightening my teeth so I did another scan. Now six months later after the second scan, I’m still waiting on a new set of aligners, paying monthly for NOTHING and keep getting the run around on why new aligners are delayed. It’s a scam and total BS! There’s no way after six months of wearing an old worn out ripped up aligner that if a new set is actually ever shipped that they might even fit.... horrible horrible scam and still crooked teeth!

Nov 06, 2019

Hey there Quinn. We're disappointed to read this review, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you I will be reaching out through Private Message so we can speak further. Best, Thom

Kaitlin N
November 6th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

If I could give zero stars, I would. Over a month of trying to get my refund and the account manager cant even pick up my calls. They keep saying they have to talk to me over the phone before they will offer me my refund, but they conveniently never pick up the phone. The aligners are cheap, they cut my mouth so bad I couldn't talk. It was a nightmare.

Nov 06, 2019

Hi Kaitlin. We're concerned to see this, and we would like to confirm that the cut of our aligners is incredibly important to us. They are all hand cut and go through an extensive quality assurance test. In addition, it can take an adjustment period when a foreign object is introduced to the mouth, and some discomfort is normal. I will be reaching out via private message so we can speak further. Best, Thom

Amber
November 6th, 2019 Fontana, CA DETAILS

I had to go through two treatments!!! my teeth starting moving because they could not get my retainer sent out and when they FINALLY did it did not fit! now I am done with my second round and no retainer AGAIN!!! just called and go the run around again of how busy they are and it should come soon. I got the long run around last time and now again. I am sick of it I just want my retainer and be done with this place!

Nov 06, 2019

Hey Amber. We are working as quickly as we can to get all delayed orders out and we are aware of this issue. I will send you a private message so we can speak more about this. Best, Thom

Elan Edwards
November 6th, 2019 Broomfield, CO DETAILS

I have used and worn the aligners everyday since they arrived. It has been over 5 months and I have not missed a single day. In addition to that, I have worn the aligners for roughly 22 hours a day, only taking them out to eat and brush my teeth. They say I am almost complete with the full set. My bottom teeth are still crooked, and I still have an overlapping tooth on the top. The aligners simply stretch out and after the first day of wearing them they no longer move the teeth. All the new sets I put in now have pockets in them since they do not come close to actually fitting my teeth. I have emailed Smile Direct no less then 8 times complaining about this and they have simply said someone will get back to me - which no one has. I started complaining about this problem over a month ago. I guess they don't want to deal with it. Do NOT waste your money!

Nov 06, 2019

Hey Elan, and thanks for the review. In cases where a customer has aligners that don't fit properly, we can typically assist by offering replacement aligners or offering the option for a new 3D scan or Impression Kit. I will be reaching out via private message so we can speak more about this. Best, Thom

Michael Margolis
October 29th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Buyer beware. Great brand promise, huge disappointment in delivering on that promise. I'm on my third series with Smile Direct Club, with huge delays in production and responsiveness between each updated set of trays, and lack of real customer service. Despite a very simple treatment plan to close a gap in my two front teeth (had braces as a teenager). You can't ever speak to a qualified dental person. It's clear the company cares more about making the sale/customer acquisition than actually fulfilling on existing customers.

Oct 29, 2019

Hey Michael. Thanks for reaching out to us and leaving us this review. We are concerned to hear about this experience. As we are aware of our recent delays, we are working as hard as we can to get all orders out as quickly as possible. I will be reaching out via DM so we can speak further. Best, Thom

Fnu s
October 28th, 2019 Houston, TX

I had a good experience with the company. The lady who did my 3D scan (kandiace) was really friendly. Everyone I met was nice.

Oct 28, 2019

This is what we like to see! Thank you, Fnu.

Sarah
October 25th, 2019 Vienna, WV DETAILS

where to begin.... lets see, i had to do 5 impression kits nefore the realized my impression trau was too small. so i was making $80 payments for 3 months without my aligners. after my 6 month treatment, my teeth were still not straight. i requested a re evaluation, was denied my first time. it took me calling 3 times crying and begging to finally get approved. i am on my 6th re evaluation set of aligners. its been 2 years and im still wearing aligners. lol 6 months my a$$! i followed the program, i was responsible, and still did not get the results i wanted. so its been over a month and im waiting for my 6th re evaluation aligners. this company will never reach out to you, the only time i get an email from them is reminding my about my upcoming payment lol terrible customer service, quite frankly a scam as far as im concerned. beware!

Oct 25, 2019

Hi Sara. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, I will send you a message via DM. Thank you, Thom

Alisha
October 25th, 2019 Pontiac, IL DETAILS

Poor product, insufficient service, inaccurate predictions. My very first attempt was in March, when my first shipment of aligners arrived. The Month 1 Week 1 aligners would not fit and they sent new aligners. The new shipment did fit, so I started the new Month 1 Week 1 aligners mid April. I finally started treatment in April and it was supposed to be finished the first week of August. Treatment went well for 3 months. I started the last month of aligners on time, but they would not go on my teeth at all. Seemed to be a production error, but they said my teeth weren't moving as expected. They sent another impression kit and I sent my impressions off to them the day after I got the kit. At the point when I sent the molds off I had been in old aligners a couple weeks past when I was supposed to be. They made and sent new aligners which I received about Aug 19th. This means that when the new ones arrived, I had been over 6 weeks in those aligners that were supposed to be worn for 2 weeks. The new aligners also didn't fit (newest Month 1 Week 1...). They said skip to the next week (M1W2), those were okay. When I switched to the next week (M1W2/3) they were as bad as the first week set that they told me to skip. They said it appears to be a production error and that they would remake new ones from the molds they already have, and send them. August 30 they said they'd send them out ASAP. Now it's Oct 24 and they've not yet sent them out to me. So, I'm wearing the same aligners since about Aug 19. To state succinctly. My treatment was supposed to be completely finished the first week of August. Instead I've been in the same two sets for over 3 months (they are supposed to be changed each 1 or 2 weeks, as directed). I'm in these as I wait for my 4th shipment, their 4th attempt to get it right. In reaction to my complaints, they gave me a $100 discount and did they'll give me free retainers at the end of treatment. This was a month ago. I called again today and told them if they are unable to give me a shipping date, I'd like a refund for what I've already paid so that I may obtain treatment elsewhere. They said someone would contact me about closing the account within 3 business days. I came here to find a better company. I read some other reviews and am frustrated to hear they will require a retroactive NDA to issue a refund. I thought I'd better write this review ASAP so maybe a few people will be warned. Go with a different company.

Oct 25, 2019

Hey Alisha. In cases where something goes wrong, we always want to work to make things right. We are disappointed to read your review and want to assist. I will be sending you a direct message so we can speak further. Best, Thom

J
October 23rd, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

Used this company and was very disappointed that they tout they have a team of dental professionals there to help and a licensed doctor treating you. When I ran into problems I asked if my doctor could look at my case, I had damage to a tooth and I was scared. They told me I could not be in contact with my doctor nor could I have their license number as proof that a doctor was actually treating me. I then was helped by a number of RDA’s who also refused to provide proof that they are licensed. Pretty sure this company is a scam. I asked for my money back, they didn’t execute what the 3D model I approved at the beginning said my teeth would do, I had a tooth break under their care, they refused to provide me with proper identification, and to get a refund I would have to sign a release form freeing them of responsibility!! No way, I’ve never signed an NDA but many aspects of their release form were disturbing with such things as removing social media posts that were negative and also removing reviews that were negative, just crazy. Almost a year for an original 5 month plan, 3 “refinements” as they call it, and lots of pain. Later I find out that they couldn’t ever move my teeth the way they said they could, I needed attachments to rotate teeth, I don’t know why they would predict they could and deceive me, terrible experience.

Oct 23, 2019

Hey there J. Your review is extremely concerning to see. Our doctors would never approve a treatment plan that we weren't sure we could help achieve. I'll be reaching out via DM to speak further about this. Best, Thom

Jans
October 22nd, 2019 Salisbury, MD DETAILS

Quality control is lacking. Received an aligner that was not completely molded so does not fit properly-cannot wear it. Requested a new aligner Sept 18th. Still waiting. Wearing old aligner. My treatment is delayed and communication with company very poor. I still don’t have an explanation for the delay. Not worth the pain and frustration. Lack of attention to dental health. Very disappointed and should have gone to a competent orthodontist. Still waiting..........

Oct 09, 2019

Hey Jans. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. We are disappointed to read your review, and we'd like to speak further on this. Please email us at [email protected] Best, Thom

Judy E
October 21st, 2019 Oneida, WI DETAILS

Went to Green Bay club today. Keisha did my 3D scan. She was very friendly, competent, and made the experience very pleasant. I look forward to getting my Smile Club box with everything I need to get a better smile!

Oct 22, 2019

Thanks so much for the review! We work hard to make sure every customer has the best experience in the best environment, and we are happy to see that reflected in this review.

Chris
October 21st, 2019 Pensacola, FL DETAILS

A total rip off, sent them the down payment, my teeth imprints and pictures. Never a response, I contacted them and they asked for more pics and what I wanted to accomplish. Never a response, after another 2 weeks I asked what the status was and they asked for more pictures. I asked for my money back and they said no. Total scam. I went and got invisalign. Screw this rip off smile direct club.

Oct 22, 2019

Hey Chris. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. We are definitely concerned to see this, as we take pride in the care that our team provides. I'll be reaching out via Best Company Private Message to assist you further. Best, Thom

Carol
October 18th, 2019 Caldwell, ID DETAILS

I have had several responses from multiple customer service representatives. They don’t keep track of your records so you are asked the same questions by all of them. Many of the retainers needed filing they would gouge your gums and tongue. I can't recommend using Smile Direct Club and am requesting a refund. Their customer service is appalling and frustrating. No support or follow up at all.

Oct 18, 2019

Hey Carol. We're concerned to see this, and we would like to confirm that the cut of our aligners is incredibly important to us. They are all hand cut and go through an extensive quality assurance test. In addition, it can take an adjustment period when a foreign object is introduced to the mouth, and some discomfort is normal. Please email us at [email protected] if we can assist you in anyway. Best, Thom

Jim Knisley
October 18th, 2019 Bloomington, IL DETAILS

Terrible customer service. I would give 0 stars if possible. My liners were not properly made and cut my tongue and cheek because the left lower side was loose and almost flat instead of cupped around my teeth. After just a few days of wearing week 1 I called customer service, sent in the pictures they requested and then began the run-around. Over the next few weeks they kept telling me my assigned dentist hadn't reviewed them yet. That didn't stop them from charging the monthly payments to my credit card even though I didn't have proper fitting liners to wear. I finally sent the defective liners back and asked for a refund. They offered me a partial refund, charging me over $200 for the liners I had tried to wear that cut up my mouth. I refused and asked to speak to a manager. It's been two months of more email run-around and still no refund and haven't yet got to speak to a manager. I see from many of the other reviews I am not alone in my frustrations with their poor customer service.

Aug 20, 2019

Hey Jim. Thanks for reaching out and leaving us this review. We pride ourselves in the service that our team provides, so this is very disappointing to read. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can assist you further. Best, Thom

Joao Ferreira
October 17th, 2019 Fayetteville, NC DETAILS

I'm now 32 days away from completing the whole process. I've had no problems at all. The price is amazing comparing to other solutions. I've followed their instructions to the letter I can clearly see the results. I had a very noticeable overbite but now my teeth look and feel straight. My wife confirmed it is not my eyes only noticing the change. I only had to do some light sanding on some retainers to not hurt my gums but all is great. I'm very pleased. Don't understand or agree with the bad reviews. I looked for places to add my review as I'm near the end but got very disappointed with the lack of civility and/or unreasonable demands.

Oct 18, 2019

Hi Joao, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us this great review.

B. Murphy
October 16th, 2019 Oak Park, IL DETAILS

0 stars. Terrible experience! Many aligners were too loose, barely putting pressure on the teeth being treated. Some aligners were brittle and cracked while in my mouth. On month 2, they sent the wrong aligners; took 3 weeks to get the correct ones. Treatment only lasted 5 months, at which time my teeth were still crooked. Still waiting for a solution after 2 1/2 weeks. Put a lot of $$$ for this treatment with very little results.

Oct 16, 2019

Hi B. . We're concerned to see this, and we would like to confirm that the cut and fit of our aligners is incredibly important to us. They are all hand cut and go through an extensive quality assurance test. We are disappointed to see your review, and we'd love to assist. Please email us at [email protected] so we can speak further. Best, Thom

Marlene
October 15th, 2019 Ellsworth, ME DETAILS

I got my aligners in June of 2018. By Christmas, I had done the six month course. Since my teeth weren't too crooked, just a bit out of alignment since I am 64, I feel that this program worked well for me. It is time to get a new retainer, even though mine feel just as tight as the first time I used them in December 2018.

Oct 15, 2019

Hey Marlene. Thanks so much for the kind review. We appreciate you letting us know about this.

Luka
October 9th, 2019 Plano, TX DETAILS

Terrible customer service throughout the process and even in to when you need retainers. They have a call center out of the country (Costa Rica) so you are challenged there in having the rep escalate an issue to anyone that has any power or authority (that's at the TN office), instead they just keep saying, "what can I do to make you smile today." Trying to get a manger to help is like winning the lottery and when you do find one and get their information for the future when you have issues, and you will have issues with anything from broken trays to broken retainers that show up that way, to things just not showing up, that manger ends up leaving. This company needs to work on their customer service skills and customer service process. It's a mess!! I've had to do all the work myself to make sure I get the results I want. Other then 3D print them myself. I am all for a deal but now I look at all the wasted time and stress and know the few hundred dollars I saved over other companies aligners is just not worth it. I think they just expect you to not hold them to the deliver times they tell you and because they have become so popular their turn times are terrible. So if something is wrong with your aligners don’t expect to get a new one for 3-4 weeks there for pushing out your results a full 3-4 weeks. Such potential, but they need a revamp of process, procedures and customer service.

Oct 09, 2019

Hi Luka. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, please reach out to us directly at [email protected] Thank you, Thom

Bridgette Florea
October 9th, 2019 Post Falls, ID DETAILS

Honestly, I have loved my progression in how my teeth have been fixed (lots of crowding). HOWEVER, their customer service is SO bad when you are nearing the end. I started in October of 2018, with a projected finish date of April/May 2019. The trays are not terribly comfortable, they scrape your tongue and gums in all the wrong places. I lived on dental wax for MONTHS. However, I figured "no pain, no gain", right? And I could see the changes in my smile. End of treatment, they wanted final pictures, I sent them, they decided to do 3 more months of treatments (no scan, no impressions). I got my trays as expected, did another 3 months. August 17th I went in for a retainer scan, they said I should get my retainers in 2-3 weeks. Two weeks go by and I haven't received an order confirmation, tracking email, nothing. August 31st - customer service says they see no record of my retainer order, but they do see I had a scan. They "escalated" my issue, I was contacted the same day, was told that my "re-evaluation request was approved" after they looked at my scan (I didn't request a re-eval, I got scanned for retainers). They said since my teeth aren't perfectly straight, they will send me 2 more months of trays for no charge and I should have them 4-5 weeks from September 3rd (which would be THIS week). I thought, "Well, no harm in continuing to try to make them perfect." So I emailed back saying "If you think I could benefit from another 2 months, let's do that instead of retainers." They uploaded a 3-D model of the last 2 months' treatment to my dashboard a MONTH ago, so of course I thought they were actually ON THE WAY. Since Sept 3rd, I haven't received an email, a shipping notice, nothing. I have contacted their live chat FOUR times (including today), I have @ them on Twitter (no reply), and all I get from live chat is "We will contact you when your aligners ship" and "We've had a lot of orders come in recently and we're catching up..." Look, I was totally cool with having just retainers, I WAS happy with the way my teeth were - WAY back in August. I have been wearing the same trays for almost 3 months. They are mangled to say the least (I wish I could attach a picture). A 1/2" of the bottom tray has broken off on the left side, the upper one is cracked badly near my right canine tooth, and it's starting to catch on the inside of my lip (again, dental wax is your friend). They don't hold their shape or my teeth in place anymore, I know for a fact my teeth have shifted, I can see and feel it - the only reason I still wear my trays is so my teeth don't get any more f*cked up than they are already getting again. I've expressed my great concern to anyone there that will listen that I don't think the trays I've been waiting on will fit, because it's been so long, my trays are half-broken and my teeth have obviously shifted in the last 2 months. So if my trays don't fit? I'll have to get another scan and wait another 4-5-6-7-8 weeks for new trays and zero honest communication? I'm only HALF paid off at this point, and I just really want to be done - knowing I have to pay them for another YEAR when they're doing nothing, and sending me the last 2 months (someday) that I might not even be able to use...it just makes me sick. I would really like to cut my losses at this point and just get Byte/Invisalign/Candid... I have a bad feeling I'll have to start over anyways.

Oct 09, 2019

Hi Bridgette. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us with this review We are disappointed to see this and we are aware of these delays. We are working diligently to have these sent out as quickly as possible. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can speak directly about this. Best, Thom

Ellen Onwuka
October 8th, 2019 Spring, TX DETAILS

I started treatment 6 months ago but my gaps didn't close, so they offered to reevaluate and send 2 months of additional alignment. They cancelled the order for my retainers till I have completed the 2 months. I was ok with the arrangement but 6/7 weeks has passed and I have not received my aligners. I have paid them in full and have been calling and begging for them to send me my aligners to no avail. My teeth at this time is worse than when I started the treatment. I will never recommend this company to anyone

Oct 08, 2019

Hey Ellen. We appreciate you leaving us this review. We are aware of our production set back and we are working hard to get all delayed orders out as quickly as possible. Please email us at [email protected] so we can discuss this more. Best, Thom

Erika
October 7th, 2019 Vancouver, WA DETAILS

Buyer Beware! They are absolutely horrible. Worst customer service I've ever experienced. My son really wanted to try these. Everything was great until we got to the last set and his teeth were not where there were supposed to be. We went into the store to get new scans. 2 weeks later, we got an email that they could do no more. So, we ordered the retainer. My son was told to continue wearing his last aligners until the retainer arrived. That was in June and it's now October. I have called 7 times and I keep getting lied to about them being shipped. They have given me every excuse in the book. I give up and want my money back. My sons teeth are back to the original state. The aligners he had to wear for MONTHS finally broke. They don't care. Don't waste your money!

Oct 07, 2019

Hey Erika. Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. We work our hardest to give everyone, who walks in our doors, the smile that they want and deserve. However, we can only work to the extent that our technology allows us. We are definitely concerned to hear about this and we are more than happy to take a look into anything you would like us to. Please email our team at [email protected] Best, Thom

JJump
October 7th, 2019 Woodbridge, CT DETAILS

BUYER BEWARE!! This program is HORRIBLE! 😡 I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, you should to!! We bought this program for my daughter and at that point they only had the impression kit available. We did that, her teeth were very difficult but finally had it completed. She started to use the alighners and at first they seemed to be ok but them problems arose and my husband called to complain. We never heard back from anyone but supposedly their system sent an email that wasn't received. Today a "manager" could call me back but when we had problems, called them they couldn't call us back?! Now that there is the new scan available we decided to go and see if it would be better. Now they want tji charge us an additional $99/month for new aligners! They always tell you, you're a client for life, but at a very high expense. They only give a 30 day warranty so if your teeth go ary in 60 days you're plum out of luck. Very disappointed and really sick of seeing their marketing bs!!

Oct 07, 2019

Hi Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to leave us with this review. We strive to be as transparent as possible regarding out Club Warranty by including information about this in the blurple box and on our website at https://smiledirectclub.com/returns/. We would be happy to help with any concerns you have, so please don't hesitate to email us a [email protected] Best, Thom

Nong
October 4th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

I made a one time 100% payment, but I did not receive my box after 5-6 weeks. Later I found out that the SmileDirectClub team just cancelled the process of creating my invisible aligner without letting me know. They told me that the payment failed, which was not true :-(

Oct 04, 2019

Hey Nong. Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not typical and is very concerning to see. Please email us at [email protected] so we can assist you further. Best, Thom

RBrodnax
October 2nd, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I can’t believe what has happened to my teeth. I went in for crowding in my lower teeth. The top really just needed rounding. Like everyone else, everything seemed great until I hit month 3. At the 1/2 way check in,I mentioned my concerns-I was developing a gap in my lower teeth and the alignments were not sitting on my teeth correctly. I sent pictures they requested, yet the only reply I received was, “Everything looks great. You are progressing as expected.” Not one of my concerns was mentioned or addressed. So then at month 6, I brought up the same concerns and the gaps were getting bigger. I sent the requested pictures again, and this time, after 1-2 weeks, I was sent to get another scan. Okay, I’m thinking this will get fixed. It took about 4 weeks to get my new set that was for a 3 month extension (9 months total). At first they fit right and seemed to be moving, but the gap was not closing. Then in month 3 (9), I was getting more gaps and my bottom teeth now SCRAPE the backside of my top front teeth. When I first take my aligned out to eat, I can’t even close my mouth correctly to bite. I contacted them AGAIN, sent the pictures AGAIN, after about two weeks went for a scan AGAIN. 6+ weeks later I am getting the run around. Some one will contact you, we will look into this, your Ali gets are in cue...BS! They advertise you will love your smile, I HATE MINE! I never covered my mouth to smile or laugh. Now I catch myself doing it all the time because of the gaps. My teeth are still crooked, just farther apart. And the kicker-the scan of my future smile-they plan to push my bottom teeth out more and the top in. I’m not an orthodontist, but I don’t see how that will fix the gaps or my bottom teeth scraping the inside of the top. This place is a TOTAL rip off. Once you lay out the truth, then they want to tell you to email them and they will fix it. Why was that offered before? I want my money back so I can go get it fixed elsewhere. I sitting at a year-so much for 6 months.

Oct 02, 2019

Hey there. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about this. We take pride in all of the care that our team provides and we are disappointed to read your review. Refinements are not uncommon and we definitely want to give everyone the smile that they deserve. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can discuss this further. Best, Thom

T.Hancock
October 2nd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have had a great experience with Smile Direct Club. I've wanted to straighten my teeth for 20 years, but with a crazy life and limited income, it seemed impossible to get set up with a orthodontist and go to regular visits. Each switch of aligners would irritate my tough for 12-24 hours, but nothing that was super irritating. I got a great and timely response to getting off schedule with changing my aligners. I couldn't have had a better experience changing my smile to the one I've always wanted.

Oct 02, 2019

Hi there! We work hard to make sure every customer has the best experience in the best environment, and we are happy to see that reflected in this review.

Amy
October 1st, 2019 Greenport, NY DETAILS

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. Unprofessional customer service and poor timeline management. I have been shipped several incorrect trays and am currently waiting for a shipment that was supposed to be here over three months ago. Thus, I have been wearing my last set of trays for over four months. Every time I call, they either lie to me and tell me they are shipping soon or say they don't know when I can expect shipment. My little cousin's lemonade stand is a better-run business.

Oct 01, 2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, Amy. We have experienced a delay with some orders and are working hard to get updates to customers and prevent this from happening in the future. We are disappointed to hear about your experience and would really like to assist. Please don't hesitate to email us directly at [email protected] Best, Thom

T Rowden
September 30th, 2019 Atlanta, GA DETAILS

Sadly I must review the same as most of the other SDC users here. I have had 4 revisions via multiple customer service representatives. They don’t keep track of your records so you are asked the same questions by all of them, no co-ordination at all. Many of the retainers needed nail clipping as they would gouge your gums and a file would do very little to ease the problem. I cannot recommend using SDC and am pursuing a refund. Their customer service is appalling and frustrating. No support or follow up at all.

Oct 01, 2019

Hey there T. We are concerned to read your review. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can speak further about this. Best, Thom

Kathy C.
September 26th, 2019 Santa Barbara, CA

I unfortunately would not recommend Smile Club Direct to my friends because of the comfort and poor customer service. I did the 3D scan and that went great. They do not hurt my teeth it’s my tongue and cheeks that hurt especially when when I talk. My liner where made incorrectly and was told I would receive an email in 10 business days for my tracking email for my new liner to be shipped to me. That was 22 business days ago. I was told since so many liners were made incorrectly that is why there is a delay. I think it only took 21 business days to get my original liners. I said to the person they care more about their new customers they their current clients. She didn’t have a reply to that. I’ve told my friends to go with a different company if they want to do it. I would also go with different company too. I am excited to see my teeth getting straighter and love to smile now as my teeth are getting straighter.

Sep 26, 2019

Hey Kathy. Your review is concerning to see. In the event of a delay, we always work to make it right. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can speak further. Best, Thom

Jasmine
September 25th, 2019 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS

Complete wast of time. Very rushed, lazy, orthodontal work. Extremely disappointed with the result they provided. They don;t do much of anything; you might as well go get regular braces. Not worth it. Awaiting my refund

Sep 25, 2019

Hi Jasmine. Thanks for leaving us a review. We appreciate the feedback. We typically treat mild to moderate spacing, crowding, and general alignment concerns. Depending on the customer's concerns, clear aligner treatment may or may not be the right treatment for them. We're concerned to hear about your experience. If you have any additional concerns, feel free to send us an email at [email protected] so that we can help. Best, Thom

Sheila Swaney
September 23rd, 2019 Asheboro, NC DETAILS

I’m only on my second week with my first set....I received them in 2weeks from ordering. .I got the night time aligners and already feel a difference. I haven’t had any trouble with them cutting into my gums like others have. I’d highly recommended finding a 3D scan sight like I did. Their very knowledgeable and thorough. It’s worth the time and effort to go. I had one question and called customer service and it was answered promptly. The only thing I hate is taking them out in the morning....can be kinda gross haha But overall I’m please. I’ll do more reviews as time goes on.

Sep 23, 2019

Hey Sheila. Thanks so much for the positive review. We really appreciate it!

Steven
September 23rd, 2019 Flemington, NJ DETAILS

Everything starts ok... great facilities for ‘measuring teeth’ marketing is top class.... however the product and process did not give the results, worse still it creates bite problems evident half way through the process, and now on hold for over 2 months trying to get a new set of slingers for my wife to correct issues caused and created better smile Their customer service is shocking. Takes an eternity to get connected only to find the people that pick up are poorly trained and unable to resolve the issue ...... strongly suggest you go elsewhere

Sep 23, 2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, Steven. We strive to provide quick resolutions to all of our customers, so we're disappointed to see this. We would love to make this right, so please email us at [email protected] so we can help with your concerns. Best, Thom

Danielle
September 19th, 2019 Springfield, MO DETAILS

This is the worst company i've ever had the displeasure to work with. First of all the braces did little if anything in straightening my teeth. Secondly, the product themselves are cheaply made. I lost count with how many would crack. Thirdly, there billing is horrible. When I set things up I had put it on my Discover card. A few months later I wanted to change it from Discover to my HSA account. Didn't think a problem since I could login and easily change it. Another month goes by and it still comes from out of my Discover card. Okay maybe it takes a billing cycle. Another month goes by still Discover. I sign in and see my payment information is correct. Another month goes by still. It took calling my card and having them do a stop payment and flagged it as fraud before I finally found out that in order to change you payment there is an entirely different company to go through. The biggest issue is that I'm on month 9 and for the last two months I have been wearing the very last set because my retainer still isn't here. Every time you say anything to this company they want to just send you a free retainer or more whitening pens. Straight up this is a horrible company and your teeth WILL NOT GET STRAIGHTENED. I hope this company gets sued one day and put out.

Sep 19, 2019

Hi there, Danielle. We are extremely disappointed to hear about this experience. I'd love to be able to look into this further. Please email our team at [email protected] at your earliest convenience. Best, Thom

SaltLife2686
September 16th, 2019 Canton, OH DETAILS

Absolutely the worst customer service experience I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Zero contact with them or the so called licensed dentist "overseeing" my treatment. The product is thinly made with cheap plastic. Yes they will move teeth but at this point I'm not "grinnin" also I was just advised in the middle of month 5 that they have lost my records? Also if you call in for anything besides sales expect Poor English Long wait times

Sep 16, 2019

Hey there. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us this review. However, we are concerned to read about this experience. Please email our team at [email protected] to discuss this further. Best, Thom

Dan Snyder
September 13th, 2019 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

Terrible, worst customer service ever. No one at Customer service can help and you have to wait to talk to an account manager. And then they aren't much help either. No contact throughout the alignment process. Only time they contacted was when my payment didn't process and then they were on the phone in no time. And to boot they didn't work. All I want is my money back for these worthless products.

Sep 13, 2019

Hey Dan. Thanks for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We take great pride in the service that our team provides and your review is extremely concerning to see. Please email our team at [email protected] so we can assist you with this. Best, Thom

Maya J.
September 9th, 2019 Bloomfield, CT DETAILS

I have been using SmileDirect since February, with hiccups vary similar to the ones listed. During my last month of aligners, I started noticing gaps between the aligner and my teeth as well - to the point where I knew they were doing absolutely nothing for my mouth. Up until this time, I didn't have any major issues, however I knew my teeth were not going to be complete after the last aligner. After talking with Customer Service, they asked for pictures. I went back and fourth with them for DAYS, as they kept saying they hadn't received the photos, or that I didn't take pictures of my bottoms....when I don't even have bottom aligners (shows how much they paid attention to my case). After a rescan, the worker at the local office instantly noticed the gap the minute I opened my mouth, and said that although it is advised to keep wearing them until the new aligners come in, to just not wear them since they looked terrible and were doing nothing for my teeth. I was told to contact a Customer Service agent immediately after my rescan, to let them no the situation, with hopes they will get the aligners to me as soon as possible. During the call, I was told the aligners will take 3 - 4 weeks, and that they would do what they can for them to arrive faster. After a month with no aligners, a literally called everyday, and was told that they're in process and that they had a lot of orders blah blah blah. So, after 2 months of waiting, I finally got the aligners. 1st month fit great. Started month 2 week 1 on Saturday - and I am seeing the gap again. I am going to hold out this week and see how week 2 fits, but I have to do this process all over again I am literally asking for my money back.

Sep 09, 2019

Hey Maya. We appreciate the review. We are quite disappointed to read about this experience. We would love to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. Send an email to our team at [email protected] at your earliest convenience. Best, Thom

Janalyn Memmott
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I was very impressed with my office visit and the overall initial experience. But then my first order was all messed up and I didn't get my purple box and only 3 weeks of retainers when my order was for 5 months. I called them, they were great on the phone and credited me $100. I received my purple box, but still no more retainers. I called again. They said my retainers would be here in 3 weeks. I am going on week 3 so I hope they come!! I'm optimistic but the process has been a bit bumpy.

Sep 09, 2019

Hey Janalyn. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are concerned to read about your issues. We always work hard to make sure we get our orders out as quickly as possible. We would love to assist you, so feel free to email us at [email protected] Best, Thom

Troy Anderson
September 4th, 2019 Clifton Park, NY DETAILS

Atleast I’m not the only one who feels robbed! All I wanted 5 months ago when I started these worthless things was a little space closed up and I was assured it’d be no problem to be achieved in 6 months.. Ya well here I am, on my last set of aligners and have only noticed bigger and more spaces now. Some of my aligners were even loose! I’m just confused and feel as though it was a waste of money and I was robbed as well! I honestly wish I just got braces again...

Sep 04, 2019

Hi Troy. Your review is definitely concerning to see. In cases where our club members aren't completely satisfied with their treatment, we can continue to work with them until they get the smile they want and deserve. Please email us at [email protected] We are here to help. Best, Thom