American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.4

Sandra Garcia

Hour waiting time on phone. Incorrect billing records. Being billed as delinquent for service call in July which was paid.

Reza Temple City, CA

We had an issue with our washing machine's door and scheduled an appointment with HSA online. Once the service company was assigned, I read their reviews and realized that they have many negative ones. So I called HSA and asked them to change the service company. The lady I talked to gave me a few company names and patiently waited on the phone for me to read their reviews. I finally picked one and she re-scheduled our appointment with the new company. I should say that it took me a while to get to the customer service rep, but she really did a great job.

D Lehr Lindale, TX

We bought a house that included this home warranty. So glad! The first year both outside & inside A/C broke. Took about 3 weeks to diagnose & repair each one. We just used a window unit both times until it was repaired. Washing machine broke & it took 3 weeks also. Even with the 3 week wait, it saved us a lot of money. Just wish they could do repairs faster. We renewed after the first year.

Micaela Deegan

I have had a contract with AHS since June 2015 after I bought my house. I had been satisfied with the service up until this summer when my AC system broke for the 3rd year in a row and they were not a great partner in getting my issues resolved. I ended up getting a cash out option that only covered some of the parts needed to make the repair. Have spoken with several people about it and they offer no recourse. Decided to cancel my contract and they are charging me ~$90 to cancel, which I refuse to pay and will report to the BBB. Also noticed that they will NOT post an reviews lower than 4 stars, they have some sort of service on their social media platforms that intercepts the bad reviews only allowing 4 start & up to show to the public which in my opinion is false advertising and shiesty.

Alison Hickman Bethesda, MD

Tenant's dryer has been broken for a month and a half. Non responsive from company.- two repairmen, no fix, several days go by between parts being ordered or authorization for next step.

Pam A

I have been a customer for 10 yrs. AHS has great customer service. The phones are manned with people who have patience and understand their customers concerns. They are professional and knowledgeable. I have recommended many people to AHS. It is a good co.

Frederick Alcazar

Garbage Disposal/Plumbing Service. Was quick and communicative. Fixed problem quickly. Nothing else I could ask for.

Courtney Grill

Our dishwasher went out, the first company we worked with was extremely rude and was unwilling to work with our schedule. We called in and spoke with an AHS representative who was unkind but offered to return our fee. She didn't make notes and we had to call in and wait on hold over 10 times for hours and hours. Several managers spoken to and promised to call us back, promised to pull the call and help us get the situation sorted out, but no one ever returned our calls. This was such a hassle and went unresolved for two months. I cringe at the thought of having to use them again. The representatives were awfully rude, and the hold times were astronomical.

Rob Robidou

Everything went very smooth. The only issue was that I was on hold for 50 minutes before I could speak to customer service Rep.

Arthur Pedroza Lamesa, TX

Easy to work with. Product was serviced in excellent time. When cooling units couldn’t be repaired they were replaced. Excellent service by A1.

Nichole Simpson Fountain Hills, AZ

Though it takes several minutes to actually get to a customer service agent, they are always knowledgeable and friendly.

Gayve Anklesaria

Total scam!!!!! Stay away, it’s full of loop holes and you will never get a penny’s worth of service out of these scammers

Erika Seriale

The manager of the authorizations department was kind and very helpful. One of the customer service reps of the department was not, and pretty much told us there was nothing else we could do. Once we spoke with the manager, she guided us through the whole process. Very grateful for her.

Kathie Dorsey Germantown, MD

I recently had a plumbing issue and needed it repaired. AMS helped me get scheduled and the work was completed in a timely manner. Thank you American Home Sheild.

Courtney Itasca, IL

We have had AHS for 4 years now. We have requested service twice (furnace and oven) and both times we had a great experience. It's super easy to request service - just log into your account and fill out the form and pay. In both cases, a service provider called me back within 2 hours of submission to set up an appointment. The service providers were both great - on time, had the parts with them, fixed the problem.

Elizabeth Berlanga

When I called to cancel because I was dissatisfied with customer service and there promise to fix what was covered under my warranty. Imposible to reach anyone. I had to dispute the contractors decision not to fix an attic fan because it had been “tampered with” when he only spent two seconds (not kidding or exaggerating) in the attic. He didn’t even touch it. What a hassle never fixed my water heater they send people to look at it but never fix or replace it. Don’t know what I’m paying for.

Xiaoyu Hu Austin, TX

American Home Shield Service helped me resolve my issues on time as promised.

Gene Spring Hill, FL

Have a problem with oven. Company that was sent to do the repairs, changed two parts. Unit is still not functioning properly. I asked them to leave the ticket open and they have not responded to me. AHS needs to use better service companies to do their repairs. All I'm getting is a bunch of lip service.

Chris Lane

Four year subscriber here. A covered item is being denied after 3 American Home Shield contractors have inspected it and turned in claims. The last one was told by AHS that he was too expensive. I have called nearly everyday for 6 weeks and been on hold for 30 minutes to over an hour every time. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT I'VE EVER SEEN.

Tammy Woolls Spring, TX

AHS is without a doubt the worst service contact you can purchase. I paid for my contract and come to find out they do not use local contractors in my area, which they use Houston area and they will not come out to mine. Therefore I have paid for a service that I can not use.....REALLY! They have not heard the last of me!

George Mettling

First warranty company we scheduled never showed up. 2nd company basically stated since you are a home warranty person we just fit you in whenever is good for us. I tried to call AHS multiple times and waited on hold more than 30 minutes each time never getting ahold of anyone. The only I was able to reach someone was through the chat feature on my computer. Less than impressed with my first warranty claim.

Judith Salk

Very difficult to reach a company representative & I think 2-3 weeks are too long to wait for the needed repair to my washing machine. Service? Poor.

nancy a

I have had AHS for 15 years. With the exception of plumbing the people they send are very good. My big complaint is over the years the wait for a repair person keeps increasing. Whn in the past it was one or two days now it is one or two weeks which is unacceptable for most repairs. imagine being without your heater or AC for 3 weeks or even your washer or dryer.

Messinger

Our AC had failed middle of summer everything was done in a timely manner with no issues or no problem and we appreciate it. I recommend home Shield to everyone

Sarah Carrington San Antonio, TX

My experience with American Home Shield so far has not been that good. I was disappointed with the process of the on-line request for service and not being able to talk to a live person on the phone. Also the limited selection of companies available to come service the problem seemed limited and there was no way to communicate with AHS to get a different company. Just overall not a good experience.

William Carroll Santa Clara, CA

Expensive, rarely cover the problem and any ancillary issues, hire awful contractors, contractors even complain about AHS, etc.

Patrick Snyder

Absolutely horrible , did not repair my a/c the unit is 25 years old , Homeshield said is was due to it being dirty.The unit is25 years old.Total rip-off....have been with the company 10 plus years...

Cesar Silva

Issue was never resolved. AHS said damage was from someone actually damaging toilet when I have never touched. Will not recommend you guys and will make sure everyone knows about your customer service.

Ricardo Santander

So, American Home Shield has sent a technician 5 or 6 times to repair a problem on my fridge and so far were unable to fix the problem. I have called several times, last time after 30 minutes waiting on the phone, finally somebody answered the phone, but was not able to solve my problem (she wanted to charge me for another service call, not knowing what is the procedure for an existing issue) so she just hang up on me. AHS is by far the worst company I had to deal in regards to service...... WORST.

Marlene Chin

40 characters cannot due my dissatisfactions any justice. To put it simply, I had to call several times and repeat my situation each and every time. I would assume that proper documentation of my issue was insufficient and the reps had no idea what was going on. And still my situation has not been resolved!!!

Audrey Hampton, VA

The repairman was extremely courteous and explained everything that he was checking and what needed to be done. He returned to install the part and again the service was incredible

KaLeigh Herron Chicago, IL

I had a claim from June 9 to Sept 12 for Central AC. They approved to replace, install dropped off unit and did a no call no show for 2 weeks! AHS did not sympathize with me. I could not escalate the issue no one return calls as promised except I customer service rep and after many complaints they did not approve $1200! And want me to pay $1200 for an install in Sept. I do not recommend this warranty company. I had them for 5 yrs and when I had something needing replace this is the service I received

cristina salazar

good service after all the problems they give me.

Joe D

AHS has been a life saver for us during the 15 years that we have been members! Service is relatively prompt and they have always resolved our problems.

Gabrielle Greenville, SC

So far, American Home Shield has better coverage than First American Home Buyers, BUT their customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. I will not use them another year and am contemplating cancelling now as I type this. I have literally been on the phone (on hold) with them over an hour for a call with an estimated 30 minute wait time. They have denied a claim and not notified me as to why. The company for air conditioning that they have provided is subpar as well. They are always late and it takes forever to get someone out to fix my air conditioner. I have been mostly without AC all summer long and feel this could have been fixed in ONE trip.

Scott Stern Clermont, FL

Called to talk to someone twice. Each time the hold time was over 40 minutes

Gail Graber De Valls Bluff, AR

dryer quit working and was not repairable. I purchased a new one and was compensated by American Home Shield.

Jessica Yung Saint Charles, IL

Our year home warranty with American Home Systems was adequate. The service time was extremely fast and the contractors were qualified, polite, and helpful. The $75 trip charge was slightly below normal rates. We were pleased with the speed of service. When one particular problem persisted for 2 months, the technician was repeatedly sent back to try to remedy the situation without additional charge. We were disappointed that multiple plumbing repairs yielded 3 contractors, each costing $75, instead of one plumber who could have fixed all 3 issues with one trip charge. In addition, we were very disappointed to learn that AHS does not replace freon at it's market value when our A/C needed a repair requiring the draining of freon and replacing it. They also would not pay the full cost of the labor associated with the repair because the technician had to work around other mechanicals to fix the A/C which would take longer. In the end, AHS would only cover 40% of the repair. We have decided not to renew the warranty. Based upon high cost of the premium, the insufficient replacement value, and the inefficiency of contractors used, it cost more to use AHS than to have it in place.

Beth TX

I was unfortunately very disappointed in the service provided by AHS. It began with unnecessarily long call wait times (over an hour every time I called no matter the time, day or night), then continued with poor customer service, and unknowledgeable service teams. It took 3 air conditioning companies and an electrician (after telling us initially we needed close to a $1k worth of work, most of which would not be covered by our policy) to finally determine that all it needed was some refrigerant. I sure am glad I didn't just agree to the "repairs", though it was tempting after well over 2 weeks of living in a 90 degree home with no air conditioner while going back and forth with AHS and their representatives.

Michael Smith Accokeek, MD

the repairman was very professional and courteous

Nuage Marquez

NEVER USE AHS!! Once again, I have to pull up my contract & read to them the clause that shows I am covered! Every time I use AHS it is a fight to get them to cover what the contract says they should cover. I have multiple contracts and I have many properties. I have two other home warranty companies Choice Home Warranty and America's 1st Choice Home Warranty and I never have this problem with either of these companies. Also, when the tech that AHS finally shows up (which is never when it is originally scheduled) they always claim that the repair isn't covered and will require me to pay an exorbitant amount of money. Yet when I refuse and request they send a second tech from a different company, it is approved by this tech and I am told the 1st tech was lying! But don't take my word for it, on BBB they have 956 BAD REVIEWS OUT OF 958 TOTAL REVIEWS AND 9223 BBB COMPLAINTS!!!!

Bobbi Roseburg, OR

Told we needed a part for our water pump. Said they would order it and be back in couple of days. That was in November 2016. Every time called it was so coming in any day, then it was the weather, then it was roads closed. Servicing company had to come from an hour and a half away. No one local to service our needs. Finally after numerous calls and a call to our realtor they finally agreed to replace the unit in February. We went all winter without heat thanks to them. We also had a tech come up locally and look at the unit. He told us it needed a part and he could have it overnight. What is up with that???? I bet their families wouldn't have gone without heat all winter. The coldest months.

Kari Ardalan Washington, DC

WORST company ever to deal with. Waited on hold over an hour to discuss my account for the 2nd time. Decided to cancel since their service is terrible and despite saying you can cancel anytime I was charged $120 to cancel both accounts. I WILL NEVER be returning and will post this everywhere to ensure people know what they are getting into. Longest hold times of any company, poor contractors that come to the house, several times where they charged me double for service visits and having to wait on hold to get those rectified as waiting 90 days to get my money back.

Karen Waldschmidt Flower Mound, TX

I've had American Home Shield for 10+ years. They used to be good, but OMG have they changed. The last 2 calls I placed - one for plumbing and one for A/C work - ended up being more expensive because nothing was covered, and I had to pay a $75 copay in addition to the repairs. They cover less and less each year, but charge more and more. They also send HORRIBLE HORRIBLE companies to do the work - I even called American Home Shield to complain about the companies they are sending to my house, and the girl said, "Well, we send out surveys on a regular basis to get feedback from our customers, and our vendors get the highest ratings." I burst out laughing - what a LIAR!!!! Doing a simple Google search will show you the reviews. For my most recent A/C issue, I initially called American Home Shield, they sent someone who said my inside air handler needed replacement. Of course, AHS covered JUST the box. Nothing else, no peripherals. They gave me the list of items that I was going to be charged for, and one of them was sealant. It costs about $15 for a gallon (which is all that was needed) from Home Depot, and they were going to charge me $260!!!!!! I called to cancel my home warranty the next day. The girl transferred me to the "customer retention department", and I assumed they were going to give me some song and dance and discount to make me stay, but after I voiced my complaints, the girl said, "OK. We'll cancel your account." Just like that!!! LOLOL!! They KNOW they are a total ripoff, and keep going because people are naive and don't read these reviews before they sign up. That's the only way AHS stays in business. Since dropping them, every reputable company I have to call for repairs says that AHS is a scam, and the companies who work for them can't get jobs on their own because they are so bad, so they have to rely on the home warranty calls. STAY AWAY.

Jerry Kinder Scottsdale, AZ

Website stinks. They have no email responses to send photos of broken appliances. Estimated wait times can run from 10 minutes to 30 minutes in the "same" message. All "800" numbers go to the same call center or it seems to be that way. Chat capability is intermittent. No always available. We have had an initial dishwasher fix in since 8/16. It is still broken. We have had no service or intention of service from the contractor since the initial call on 8/21. They provide no feedback to the customer after speaking with the contractor. Customer is left "hanging" not knowing what is or is not going to happen next. I cannot with good conscience recommend this firm or this one contractor. One more thing. We get past due notices on our mobile devices. We go to their website and is shows us current. Very annoying and upsetting. We are considering options and an avenue to gain satisfaction and get our dish washer working again.

Bridgett Hart TX

I have requested several service request from AHS. They collect my $100 and then send out a contractor who can NEVER fix the issue. Then the contractor calls AHS and they say the issue would not be covered. I am very dissatisfied with AHS. I would not recommend them to anyone. Save you $100 each month and spend it on a professional that will come to you home and fix your issue the first time.

Donald Bright San Antonio, TX

I had been using them for over 7 years now. I had a Water heater replaced in 2012 and it only cost me $75 as promised. Just last month I had our other Water heater replaced (downstairs) and it ended up costing me over $1000.00 out of pocket! When I contacting Home Shield they stated that the contract "terms" have changed and they no longer cover code upgrades? One other item that I believe is important to mention is that the vendor they initially sent out to my house to complete the work had a 1 star rating on Google and there were several very negative reviews. The original vendor the dispatched showed up in a broken down van (windshield busted) half the paint missing and a complete mess. I ended up getting my own vendor and simply filed for a "Cash out" option. Really disappointed in the way they are now choosing to do business.

PATRICIA PURSLEY

I have spent 4 hours trying to get through to these people. The company they recommended is horrible. It has taken literately a month to get a simple leak from our refrigerator's water dispenser fixed.

Philip Forsberg

They use lowball service outfits to nickel and dime you out of the service you've paid for. My 30 year old air conditioning system had been warranted by them for more than twenty years. When it failed, the idiot they sent out to diagnose and repair claimed I needed a part that would take 30 days of Georgia summer to get. I was able to get a second opinion, only to find out that this part is obsolete, and is not available anywhere for any amount of money. The whole unit needs to be replaced, but AHSmakes money by collecting monthly payments and denying benefits when deserved. I guess they were hoping I would get worn out by their BS and quit without being made whole. They are the worst!

Larry K

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE Stupid me I signed up as their rates were all inclusive and reasonable BUT when I needed service all I got was a hold time of 45 minutes and 0 answered. Then I got an auto e mail giving me a provider and guess what the same thing!! Stay away in fact run away from this company Larry K