American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.4

Jim B Austin, TX

Erroneously said issue was pre-existing condition and denied payment then impossible to contact to resolve ... by design?? Owned by ServiceMaster. Contacted executive office and issue was quickly resolved.

Joyce Pasley Amarillo, TX

DON'T USE American Home Shield!! Repairman they sent to check AC showed up 2 days later, Said need new AC & HEATING. He had wrapped wire so Heater wouldn't work we found out later. Said AHS wouldn't do much for us & wanted us to buy whole new unit from co. he worked for. Price was outrageous & said would take several days. Was 107 degrees & we're 74 yrs old. Getting late in day so we called another repair business & they came that evening & found wrapped wire to Heater. Came the next day & put in new AC. American Home Shield said we only had 2 options, use the repairman they sent who was not honest or take their cash out of $690. AC cost us $6,325. Person I talked to laughed when I told her that wasn't acceptable. The dishonest repairman they sent even hung up on me when I told him we wouldn't be using his co. We had been with AHS 10 yrs. BEWARE!!

Beverly Turner Katy, TX

I had been living in a 17 year old house for the last 8 years. I had a leaky pipe attached to my shower. They refused coverage because they said it was not normal wear and tear because the original plumbing was done badly. I explained that I had been there for 8 years and this was the first time it leaked. They still refused. They are the nightmare company that will take your money but find an excuse not to fix.

Major G Dayton, OH

I had this company for over seven years. My dishwasher had a leak and required a replacement. First, I had difficult time working with AHS customer service ...impossible to get a call thru..always busy....kept me on hold for over an hour. It took me over 30 days to get a replacement. I recommend saving your money for a rainy day. I dropped them soon after getting my dishwasher installed.

Tim Baughman Lewisville, TX

It seems that this company has declined in the last several years. Their coverages have shrunk and their costs have risen. There is no guarantee that you can get service should you have an emergency. And there is little care by the service provider that you can't contact anyone. From the fees, they charge per month and the service fees one would be better to save the money for a rainy day instead of wasting on folks that couldn't care less about their customers. I've been with the company for well over a decade. Sadly they don't give a rat's butt about their long time customers. You're better off looking for another group if you need a home warranty service.

Steve

I've had a AHS service contract for 12 years. Of course over the years my premiums have increased as-well-as the service trade fee. During the time with AHS, I've only experienced favorable customer service; either by phone or website claim submission. Over the years , I've had one hot water heater replaced with a new one, a range and ceiling fan repaired, AC serviced numerous times and numerous plumbing repairs performed. For each of the services described, I only paid the trade fee. No fuss, no hassle, no phone tag! And all the work was performed timely by very professional craftsmen. But the major repair was a total replacement of the return air system located in the attic. The system failed from rust and corrosion, and drain pan totally rusted out. I called in a service claim to AHS and they sent a AC tech out the following day. He discovered the situation I described above. He stated the system was beyond repair and would need totally replacement. This system is custom fabricated with various parts and sheet metal to fit the size needed for the home. It was summer time and a little over two weeks without AC before recovery. Again we only had to pay the trade fee. I'm sure the wait in the warm temperature was far less painful than that bill was to replace that system. AHS has been well worth the investment!

jimmy ingram

This company has very little concerns about your home after yo pay them. I requested a/c service on the 31 jul 2017 and had service company come twice and it has not been repaired as of now and can't get any help from AHS . I'm not pleased at all with service and as of now would not recommend them or service company to anyone.

Allison DeCastro Jacksonville, FL

I am not going to bore anyone with any fluff Im just going to give you the facts!! 1) My garbage disposal went out and I called AHS to come and fix, I paid my $75.00 fee and the guy came out....but when he got there he said he needed to replace a pipe by law on the garbage disposal and that he would have to charge me $65.00 to do so. At that price ($135.00) I could have bought the disposal myself and changed it. So the AHS warranty was no help there, nor did anyone tell me when i scheduled the repair that it would cost me an extra $65.00!!!! 2) My refrigerator goes out and is not cooling, Keep in mind that I live in Florida with my wife and 3 kids now. I called AHS and they told me it would be 2 weeks for someone to come out. Ok so 2 weeks go by the guy comes out and says that I have busted fan and that he needed to order the part and it will take a week to come. Ok so the part comes in less than a week and we call to let them know thats its in and they inform us that it will be a week before the guy comes out again. So now we are at 4 weeks with no refrigerator..... a week goes by and no one shows up, so we called again and the guy will be out tomorrow and of course he never showed. So I got fed up and just installed the fan myself which took all of 4 mins and 35 secs to replace. When I called to dispute the $75 dollar charged the lady from AHS said why did someone come to your house? - Well Yes but nothing was fixed - Sorry sir per your contract if someone comes out we charge! REALLY!!!! No customer services skills needed at all to work for American Home Shield!!!!! Is not per the same contract that you fix my refrigerator that was out for over a month and I paid you to fix.. GETS FIXED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I WOULD NOT EVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE! THERE ARE TOO MANY COMPETITORS TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS KIND OF SERVICES!!!!

Jeffrey S Mews New Tazewell, TN

I am still trying to get a dishwasher repaired with my initial claim requesting service on 5/25/17. I've made several, more the 15, attempts to contact the assigned technician, and no return call. Today alone I as on hold for 1 hour and 42 minutes before I spoke to someone at AHS. Inot the last month I've been on hold in excess of one hours only to be disconnected.

M Rincon Amarillo, TX

HORRIBLE customer service!!!. Leaking (attic) a/c and damaged drain tray caused water damage to the walls carpet in BR. AHS assigned Rescue Air, (co. owner very un symphatetic to the problem) They are located in Lubbock 125 miles out of my area, with one tech in Amarillo TX.. Initial request was on, 6/10, as an emergency. Rescue come on 6/14!. We called AHS at the end of June. I sent an e-mail to Rescue letting them know of the ongoing problem and requested that a tech be sent back ASAP. later I calledx2. No response. .Finally, I when I reach someone (woman) I told her to please read the e-mail addressed to the owner. She promised to call back with date n time, Never did. and when I reach her again., I was told that the order was re-routed back to AHS to be assigned to someone else! no other explanation . She will not allow a word from me. I got very upset and told her to SHUT UP and let me speak, She hung up and few min later owner called (rude) I was accused of harrasing his scty) (??) I hang up on him. HE BEHAVED AS A MAN WITH A SHATTERED EGO AND NOT A BUSINESS MAN! He called 2x again but I was so angry that I did not pick up. 5 days later I heard from a local A/C co. scheduled appt for the following day., 7/7/2017 Before the appt time he called to tell us that; as per AHS, our policy expired on 7/3...WRONG!! as our bank acct records said otherwise. RESULTS: Children and adults have NO A/C (in a 90+ temperatures, high humidity) 4 ALMOST A MONTH!!!.We called a local a/c and we obtained a written diagnose. We incurred a $704 bill from Servrpo. . I will be calling Texas insurance and will send a letter to the BBB.

John Brack

I called Home Shield as was on hold for 2 1/2 hours before someone answered my call so I could report that my two unit central air was out. I was assured that they would contact a repair company to arrange a service call as temp is in the 90s. Have still not heard anything back for two days. Called again today and after being on hold for 1/2 hour representative who took my call disconnected me, I am now back on hold and it's been 40 minutes. They have no customer service, I would never recommend this company.

Nicole Nichols Sadler, TX

Been trying to get my water heater valve fixed for 6 weeks . The repair company showed up took my money and never came back. He cashed the check on May 30th today is July 5th. Have called American Home Shield about five times and he says he is coming then needs a part then went out of town or he didn't answer and they did a recall.. The company tells me today they have no one else on their list that can come out. Each time I call them I am on hold a minimum of 45 minutes waiting for a customer representative. Enough is enough I fired them and someone will be here tomorrow to fix it.

Kim Davenport

Unfortunately this is the second time I have had to have an air conditioning unit serviced for not cooling our home. The first company that came out didn't fix it and within two months we are back to square one...90 plus degress outside and our home is at 88 degrees inside. Absolutely the worst in customer service...long hold times to explain the problem again...the first time on hold was 45 minutes....today it is 30 minutes and still no answer on the customer service line.

Joe Colley

I have been a customer of American Home Shield for 10 years. Most of those years have been OK. This year is different because AHS has had to replace several expensive items (oven, cooktop, some plumbing) they decided to put my contract as non renewable or to nearly double my monthly cost. They did this without telling me. I learned about this today when I called and asked about my 2017-18 contract

Michele Tampa, FL

Absolutely the worst company I've ever used. There was never less than a 45 min wait time for customer service to answer. Many times the phone rang dozens of times without anyone ever answering. The only way I could ever reach AHS is by selecting the option on the automated service to pay a bill. The company they sent (Boss Electric) were incompetent and extremely rude. They do everything they can to avoid replacing an appliance. I was without a refrigerator for 21 days in December and my neighbor who also had a contract with them was without a washer for over a month. They refuse to use another company other than Boss Electric even when I was told on the phone by customer service that they would not be using that company any longer. I can't believe I paid them for 4 years when I spent countless hours during the whole month of December trying to fix my refrigerator. In all fairness, they finally agreed to reimburse me a large portion of the cost of a new one. However, I'm confident it wouldn't have happened had I not stayed on top of it and called as many times as I had to.