Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.5

a anderson Grand Prairie, TX

It took months to get a response on appliance repair. Do NOT get the appliance coverage if you think they will get the issue resolved in 30 days. They try to find loopholes NOT to cover items. I was forced to pay for invoices where work was NOT done because the item was NOT covered.

11 hours ago

Maya Holden Santa Clarita, CA

Greatest purchase yet. I did not think I was going to use this coverage, but I have used it twice so far. I am so glad I decided to get this coverage.

11 hours ago

Melissa Silvas Fresno, CA

It was easy putting in a service request they made all the appointments and stayed with the job till it was fixed. Very happy with the way my repair was handled.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Melissa. It is so wonderful to hear that your repair need was taken care of with ease. We can't wait to provide you with an excellent service experience for your next repair as well.

Marie Waldorf, MD

Put in a claim for AC repair in early June. It’s now almost the end of July and this has not been resolved. The contractor was prompt and submitted the report. This has been one of the hottest summers and every time I call back I’m told they have 24-48 hours to resolve but this has been over a month. I’m also placed on hold for long wait times of 30 minutes then told there’s no manager available to speak with me and they will contact me once a solution has been obtained. I’ve been a customer for many years with little no claims. I pay my bill on time every month and this is the service received for being a loyal customer.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Marie. I am very sorry to hear that the issue with your air conditioing has not been resolved yet. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this issue.

Mary Lyn Martinez Acton, CA

It was great response time. They scheduled a repairman as soon as I told them there was a problem. It's simple why I didn't sign up with them before. Glad I did now

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mary Lyn. Thank you for such a positive review. We strive to provide prompt and dependable service for our members, and it makes us very happy to hear that we have been able to do that for you. We look forward to working with you for your next repair need.

Joshua Miller Trenton, NJ

I purchased an American home shield warranty in hopes that I wouldn’t need to worry about surprises with home repairs however after my warranty heater exploded I called to make a claim after waiting for almost two weeks without water in water in my home a broke down a paid a company to replace it for my I was given no update last to what was going on promised over a dozen times someone would call me back as the call center workers in India have no clue what’s going on. By far the worst I’ve ever been treated and th le biggest waste of time and money. I don’t believe that anyone that’s posted a good review about this company are real people.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Joshua. I am sorry to hear that you were not contacted to address your service issue. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to this matter.

Kim Pascoe Menifee, CA

I’m not satisfied at all with AHS. I use to recommend AHSAND SAY THEY WERE so good and gets you stuff fixed, now I had 2 items that were not working one was my washer & now my AC, my washer the guy came back 2x and still does same I called to get repaired and for my AC 3 AC companies that AHS has sent out says my unit needs to be replaced and it was denied so we had them get another one out for 2nd opinion and same outcome, now waiting on what they are going to do …

Sunita Dhar Fremont, CA

Timely, responsive and always courteous. We have been customers of AHS for the past 15 years and will not change our home warranty for any other company

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sunita. It is always so great to hear when our members let us know about their positive experiences. We do our best to provide prompt and efficient service and we are really pleased that we could do that for you. Thank you for trusting AHS. We look forward to working with you for many more years to come.

Michael Thomas Geneva, FL

Terrible- sent a very bad plumber to my home to fux hot water tank and 10 days later, we still do t have any hot water. The ci tractor AHS sent filled our home with propane and we had remove ourselves and children from the home. Needless to say the plumber aent had no exerience working with a propane water heater. i called AHS to request they send someone else put that wss not a threat to our safety and they refused to and said we wouls have to pay a penalty if we did not accept their contractor We ended up hiring Frank Gay Plumbing and they cane out and diagnosed the problem and replaced our 16 year old hot water tank with a new one. It coat us $2000 but we are alive. I called AHS to see if they would cover the new tank ans they said they would submit a request. No word back from them.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Michael. I am sorry to hear about the experience you had with getting your water heater issue taken care of. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution.

Boris Monar Cypress, TX

A water pipe burst in the attic somewhere in June. Unfortunately, we found about it just a couple of hours later because of the water stains on a ceiling and the adjacent wall in one of the bedrooms. We called the AHS right away and the first available technician came in two days. In the meantime, we had to keep the water turned off in our whole house to limit the additional damage to our interior. Additionally, we've collected the spilled water when the pressure was on (for our family bathroom needs). The technician came, fixed the pipe, but nothing else was fixed by AHS. AHS just closed the case after that. No additional help was offeref to fix the ceiling and walls damaged. When we reported the issue, we even checked the "with additional damage" option. But AHS never covered the additional costs of $750 for wall and ceiling fixes with the whole room painting costs. That is not something anyone would expect when the installation under warranty has caused damage. Just fixing the burst pipe was just a minor part in this incident and it was graciously covered by $75 fee for the technician coming over.

Davina Davis-Norris Woodbridge, VA

I have enjoyed AHS. It gives me peace of mind that if covered appliances, ductwork, plumbing goes wrong - I am COVERED! My only complaint is that I can't bundle issues. Only have the option to report separately.

Lloyd R Yeager Newtown Square, PA

Takes a long time on hold to get hold of an agent and then they are overseas agents. If I need to speak with someone else, they say they cannot transfer calls or get someone else to call me back. When agents have promised to call me back they never do.

FRANCISCO J SALGADO Berwyn, IL

I'm still waiting to resolve an issue with my refrigerator that was damaged from one the contractors that was supposed to fix it. Every time I call your customer service department they just tell me that they are going to escalate the case and someone is going to call me in the next 48 hours but nobody calls me back! This is been going on since February, this used to be a really good company but I don't know what happened,

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Franciso. Thank you for reaching out to let us know the issue with your refrigerator has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Robert Smalley Conyers, GA

Last week a plumber did a good repair and on a bathroom shower faucet. He had to cut a hole in the wall to get to a pipe. The hole is still there. American home shield said they were going to send a person to patch the drywall. We haven't seen or heard from any repair person yet. HELP.

Deborah Lithia Springs, GA

Not happy with how the contractor came out to repair my AC unit which is old. He repaired the motor and told me my Freon was fine. Five days later my a/c stopped working again. The contractor comes out and tells me that I need a new compressor and he would send to wayyanty company. Warranty company does not call me but leaves an email staining I'm over the limit of coverage. I find out that the r22freon they are replacing is no longer in production make it extremely expensive for the homeowners. All this time is in the heat of the summer and I have a chronic illness with no a/c. Why am I paying monthly fees for which I don't use when the time that I need them most I can't get the help because the contractor is using r22 but has the option to use the least expensive Freon . I don't feel that anyone is making the best decision for me the customer who is on a strict income. The customer service lady count answer my questions, she only reads the script prepared by company and the language barrier makes it harder.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Deborah. I am sorry to hear that you are still without your air working. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to this issue.

William Alford Milan, IN

It was great. Within 48 hours they had a contractor contact us with an appointment to repair our AC. The repair man was knowledgable about the problem and within an hour he had it fixed.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi William, Your feedback regarding your recent AC experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Tom Floodeen Longmont, CO

I entered my request online. Within minutes a vendor was assigned. Shortly after the vendor contacted me. I sent them some photos. They ordered parts. They came and fixed the problem

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tom, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Rodney Vair Henderson, NV

Great insurance to have., I would not have any other home plans. The does excellent work and they do it in a timely manner. they are very knowledgeable in their line of work. I would recommend you to new and old home owners.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Rodney, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

KT Saratoga Springs, UT

I have done one claim with them so far and it was surprisingly easy which I appreciate. The last thing you need when you have a problem with something in your hone is a difficult claim process.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi KT. We are so happy that you took time to let us know about repair experience. We are here to take the hassle and worry out of home repairs. Thank you for trusting AHS to do that for you.

Juanita DeShazior Alexandria, VA

Each time I have called they have been responsive to my repair needs. My last experience found it difficult to locate a repairman, however theyw orked until they found one to do the job.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Juanita. Thank you so much for your feedback. We value your opinion and appreciate your patience with your recent service experience. Thank you for trusting AHS to get the job done.

Laurie Koch

There was a glitch between delivery and installation. My stove was delivered and sat in my kitchen with no install scheduled. Thank goodness my husband is a licensed contractor and could do it. I’ve also received 2 checks and have no idea why

Richard Brackin Milner, GA

We have had one positive experience, and one negative - so I chose to vote right in the middle. Our first experience ended with us having to come completely out of pocket thousands of dollars and repair damage potentially done by the contractor HSA sent out to fix the issue. Our second experience was wonderful, we were very satisfied with the customer support and technician.

Joseph. Cascia Cave Creek, AZ

I had a good experience with your repair person and he helped me understand a few things about the refrigerator that I did not know since it was here when I bought the house. I did appreciate it

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Joseph, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain an excellent standard of service to our customers.

Jul. 22nd, 2021

Andrew K Dupree Seneca, MO

To start, I filed that my dishwasher quit drying in February of this year, AHS gave me an 800 number to call for sears service. Every time I called their prescribed number, I got some one I couldn't understand and they eventually hang up with me while on hold. In June of this year, I call AHS for some other service , they found me Joplin Appliance Repair which is local to me. 1st appt. was June 18th, Richard showed up at 08:05, said there was a bad switch and that he would have to order, left at 08:10am. Called to return and install failed temperature switch Monday 6/28 at 08:45 when appt. was set for 07:00. Richard was onsite a total of 20minutes. No, Teat check was done, so I ran a load of dishes and still no heating cycle. I called AHS again that issue had not been resolved. Joplin Appliance rescheduled for July1st between 08am and noon. Richard called me and said that he failed to reset the dish washer and that he could talk me through the sequence to do so. I did. I then ran a cycle through my dish washer with the same NO Drying results. Called and left messages with Joplin Appliance for a returned call... crickets!! So. in closing, I have paid my 100$ deductible and AHS has paid Joplin Repair $200.25, the dish washer has been in service for 3years and depreciated value verse amount already spent is of equal or lesser value. I am about ready to cancel AHS and go to a more reputable Home Warranty group. Andy Dupree

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Andrew. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the service you received for your dishwasher. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this problem with your appliance.

Jul. 23rd, 2021

Tyrone Upper Marlboro, MD

Always there for my needs. After problems with my refrigerator several parts were replaced. What ever was going on it did not fix problem. So they came back out for assessment. Spoke with someone in procurement and they replaced refrigerator.

Reply from American Home Shield

Tyrone, thank you for letting us know about the experience with your refrigerator. We are so glad that the issue was resolved to your satisfaction. We look forward to taking care of your next repair need with the same level of service.

M Gable San Antonio, TX

Happy with company for the most part. I received assistance when needed but serveral times I had yo speak to customer service and manager to get issues resolved. It is very difficult to get a manager and to understand customer service. One of the issues is a language barrier. Also, monthly rate change annual. I was with another company and the rate never changed.

Carla Burnett Columbus, OH

We are happy. We had two things to go out on us at the same time. The plumbing issue is resolved and we are still waiting on parts for our central air. Once that's repaired we will be very pleased. We've experienced some extremely hot days this June and July.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carla. Thank you for taking time to let us know about your repair experiences. We are happy that you have been pleased with the service you are receiving. Thank you for trusing AHS. We look forward to completing the job for your air conditioning soon as well.

Jul. 14th, 2021

Patricia Cuevas Katy, TX

AHS has been Amazing to my home. Every time I submit a request there are extremely on point and makes sure a professional will be available to reach out and schedule an appt. Long wait times on the phone are the only thing I would say needs to be worked on.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thank you, Patricia. We thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. We are very happy to hear that you are satisfied with your service experiences, and we look forward to providing you with a great experience for your next repair need as well. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve the phone wait times.

Lou J Stokan Atlanta, GA

When my residence developed an electrical problem, finding an American Home Shield electrician went very smoothly. Electrical Service Professionals did an excellent job in resolving my problem. Their electricians were friendly, knowledgeable, and professional.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Lou. We are so happy to hear that your electrical problem was resolved so effectively. We value you as an American Home Shield member and we are so glad to have the opportunity to take care of your home repair needs.

Erika Jeffery Bloomington, IL

Our first experience with American home shield was when we purchased our first home and we have loved them ever since. Since first interaction we have on four properties and all have been covered by American home shield and we have never had any real issues that they were not willing to solve.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Erika, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Bernie Ravenelle Green Valley, AZ

I have had multiple issues with my Kenmore refrigerator and two open calls were made and there was an issues with obtaining parts, so American Home Shield determined that they could not fix appliance after a number of months. So they purchased a new refrigerator. Amazing service!!!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Bernie, I am pleased to hear about the excellent service you have received. I hope you continue to enjoy AHS!

Justin Antoine Longview, TX

The company is nice and was quick to send someone to check out the problem; however after the person came out they did not contact my wife and myself to let us know that there would be a 500+ fee for the company to come out and fix the issue. Also American Home Shield customer service is not in the US it is in India it would seem and seems a little off to be american home shield and no american customer service reps. All in all was a pretty good expierence and my problem got taken care of efficiently

Mike Armstrong Pearland, TX

AHS has been great to me and my family when it comes to the services needed to maintain the instruments needed to keep my home operation and safe. We truly appreciate what you all stand for and how impeccable the timing has been.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mike, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Marie Hafen Saint George, UT

So far, I no complaints. Great Customer Service: My questions are always answered; The approved Technicians are respectful and very knowledgeable and the replacements appear to be good quality (except for not having a white dishwasher, so I had to chose stainless - I still wish it was white.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Marie, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain an excellent standard of service to our customers.

Jessica Baird Waco, TX

The online service request process is very easy but I did not like that I had multiple issues with the same type of service provider needed but it would not allow me to request service for multiple issues without filling out a new request. And the provider could not address the issue without a new service request. It seems like a waste of time, money, and resources.

B Donohue Ojai, CA

They always seem to find a way not to cover items. Plumbing repair: they send out inexperienced plumbers/contractors who on many occasions incorrectly misdiagnosed a problem, said it was not covered, I had to personally fix the problem at my own expense. It was a simple fix which only required a change of cartridge. It took time and youtube videos to figure it out. Be aware of the lazy high water pressure diagnosis by their subcontractors. I have 2 houses and they used it on both. Of course AHS will not cover, however the subcontractor will offer to fix at a cost between $250.00 to $800.00 depending on the company. The customer service is poor. Typically, I spoke to someone and there was a language barrier. They don't record prior problems well, so every time you have to rehash the problem. On a positive note, I have had great experience with their appliance subcontractors and that is why I have kept the policy.

Peggy Hemet, CA

Fast and wonderful service providers. We left our other home warranty because of poor service and their service providers were horrible. We had our first service request with AHS in over a year and what a difference. So glad we made the change and will highly recommend them to others.

Reply from American Home Shield

Good afternoon Peggy, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Jul. 7th, 2021

Alissa Phoenix, AZ

I am happy with their plans and have been with the company for ten years, I have noticed that and maybe its my plan but have paid a high amount out of picket for modifications. I am not sure if they have changed full coverage or the people the contract with have additional outside fees even with warranty. Overall I have been satisfied with the coverage and their customer service is amazing

Christa Saint Clair Shores, MI

Every experience I've had has been good but most recent. When I had a large expensive air conditioning break down, AHS could have tried not to fix it but it was not problem. AHS & tech walked through every step and it was seemless. Great warranty!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Christa, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain an excellent standard of service to our customers.

Jul. 9th, 2021

Ruth sabella Charlotte, NC

Easy to use, only have had one problem in the many years we have used them. Website wasn't working correctly, thought i had made an appointment for my washing machine and no one showed. Now i just call an speak to a human.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ruth, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Jul. 7th, 2021

Theresa Bush Tyler, TX

We bought a 20 year old home last year. With that has been problem after problem with plumbing, electrical issues and of course old I am so glad that we decided to get American Home Shield. They have assisted us in many ways that could have been a lot of out of pocket expense for us otherwise. AHS stands behind their promise to be there when needed. I will always have AHS coverage and recommend it to everyone I know.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thank you, Theresa. We really appreciate the positive review. We are so excited you are finding the value in your home warranty and we look forward to taking of your repairs needs again. Thank you for choosing AHS.

Jun. 29th, 2021

Larry Wyatt Nashville, TN

Their coverage in writing; is a very decent policy. And we have had two issues. And they will make it right in the end. But in some cases the response time that it takes to set up repair appointments, clearing the approval for said repairs through American home shield, and then making the necessary rescheduled repairs can be a bit more slow than you can afford to be down on the particular appliance. A home air conditioned system is one said such appliance. Their needs to be a faster way to streamline the process of repair or replace. All else being said; they have been very decent people to work with.

Dustin Spencer Peoria, IL

Well, we have had good luck with them fixing things. My problem was this time when we signed up the person didn't go over the coverages well. First never told me about the electronics coverage. I saw that on an advertisement. Called to add it, complete hassle to add it. Second, never told me about using their people for general maintenance on our HVAC and I get one free inspection tune up a year. Called the person that was listed on the furnace of our new home. Didn't do it right and had to pay AHS people for a service call and do what the person i called to do. I know AHS contractor fixed the issue but it was covered and i would have used them anyway if I knew. Selling 101 educate your customers and your people providing the services.

Kathryn Dawley Cantonment, FL

They've been great to work with over the many years we've had them. They've been out to fix things from the in ground pool pump to replacing glass 5 burner stove top and a top of the line refrigerator. As a former Realtor I had many customers who used American Home Shield. I never received anything but thanks for suggesting that they consider a home warranty with their purchase or sale. It's an investment in their future. Just like any insurance. There when you need it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kathryn, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about the pool pump, stove, and refrigerator repairs. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 stars, as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon.

Jul. 2nd, 2021

Kenneth Dunn North Las Vegas, NV

My garage door started acting strange. I called AHS and they immediately set me up with a specialist that called me in less than an hour. They came the next day and took care of the problem. Without AHS I probably would have wasted a lot of time and money trying to get my issue resolved. I have been a customer with them for about 6 years now. I'm glad I signed up for AHS Coverage.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kenneth, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about the garage door repairs. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 stars, as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon.

Jul. 2nd, 2021

Brooke Kemp Arlington, TX

The service companies provided are not always highly qualified. I dealt with a ridiculous AC repair company multiple times that was sent by AHS. Finally I chose to pay extra out of pocket to have a brand new unit installed. Fast forward two years and it stopped working. I'm happy to see AHS is using a new company (they were great) but frustrated that the other company had to go out of business for a new one to be chosen. The previous company had horror story review after review. They completely screwed the install on my new unit- that's what led to the latest repairs being needed. I'm thankful that the new company was able to correct the mistakes and hope it hasn't caused any long term damage. My hope is that AHS finds affordable, but excellent quality repair companies to work with moving forward.

Sharon Ann Solverson Murrieta, CA

I was referred to one pool company that said they no longer work with AHS then I I was referred to upland Pool Supply to help us repair our pool filter. I was waiting for the repairman to show up and left my side gate unlocked. He came in took a couple of pictures of the filter and never communicated with me. I did not hear anything for over a week and I connected them. It took almost 2 weeks for them to get a new lid and gauge for our filter. In the mean time I rented a portable pool pump with filter so our pool would not turn green. The repair went well and the repairman, Christian , also cleaned our pool. He mentioned he had a side business where he cleaned pools. So far impressed by him I hired him and gave him a check covering a month's service for our pool. He showed up about a week later and cleaned out pool and showed up one more time after I called to see if he was coming. He came and left saying he was going to pick some pool supplies to clean our pool. That was it we never heard from him again.

Pamela Ewing Louisville, KY

AHS is awesome but their contractors not so much. Have had great experiences but having one now that's troublesome. Put in for service on my AC on 6-13-21, Fast Response set appt for the 16th, when they came out unit was frozen so after staying around 10 mins, said they would be back when thawed. Have talked to both Fast Response and AHS, next scheduled day is now 6-23-21. I feel that is horrible service. Should have been on the service schedule for the next day. It is now in the 90's and i have fans trying to keep cool. Thankful I am a patient person. Again satified with AHS just not with Fast Response some. put in for service on my AC

Kathleen Griffin Gilbert, AZ

My experience with American Home Shield has been excellent. Yes, one summer my air conditioning went out, and although the first company to diagnose and replace the unit did not provide the correct unit. Suffice it to say, it was a long summer, and AHS stood behind its warranty and my unit was replaced. With all other calls, I have found the contractors to be knowledgeable, professional and solve the issues. I would not be without AHS.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kathleen, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Jun. 23rd, 2021

robert kaelin Lehi, UT

I submitted a work request on my air conditioner on line and I received a confirmation within 10 minutes. I was told a service representative would contact me within 24 hours. I received a call from the technician in 10 minutes saying he was in the area and would be there in 10 minutes. He arrived on time and diagnosed the problem replaced the part and was done in 30 minutes. excellent service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Robert, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Jun. 23rd, 2021