Costco Optical Logo

6.9

LAST UPDATED: November 15th, 2021

Costco is a well-known brand across the United States and in many parts of the world. To add to its retail products, it has Optical centers in a number of its warehouses. Costco Optical is a full-service eye care and eyewear provider. It provides access to appointments with an eye doctor to identify prescriptions and a team of opticians to help customers find the perfect pair of prescription eyeglasses, sunglasses, or contact lenses.

The Good

• Pricing
  • Prescription Eyeglasses
  • Designer Sunglasses
  • Contact Lenses
  • Eye Exams
  • Discounts
  • Variety of Top-Selling Lenses
  • Eye Care Products

Pricing

Costco Optical has become known for its pricing. Though complete pricing is not specifically listed online, the median cost of frames, lenses, and protective coatings is about $180. This is not by any means the lowest price on the market, but it is lower than a number of other eyeglass providers.

Prescription Eyeglasses

The Costco Optical department wants each customer to successfully find the perfect pair of glasses. The following recent features have been made available to better cater to the needs of Costco Optical customers:
Wider front — Frames are made with extra space between each of your temples.
Curved temples — To provide extra headroom to the wearer, a slight temple curve is provided to make sure that the glasses fit perfectly.
Narrow bridge — For those who need a little bit extra bridge support the narrow

Designer Sunglasses

If you are looking to purchase a pair of designer sunglasses but don't want to pay full price for them, Costco Optical sells a number of designer brands for lower prices than the original retailers. The following are some of the brands sold by Costco Optical:

• Kirkland Signature
  • Vera Bradley
  • Vera Wang
  • XOXO

Contact Lenses

Unlike many of its competitors, Costco Optical sells contact lenses in addition to its prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses. Contacts can be ordered online streamlining the purchasing process. The following brands are currently available for sale online:

• Acuvue
  • Purevision
  • Soflens
  • Ultra

Eye Exams

One of the challenges of purchasing eyeglasses online or from a retailer is the need to sit down with an ophthalmologist or optometrist and have an eye exam. Costco Optical has hired a number of optometrists to help with vision and eye health exams. This is a service that a number of online retailers are unable to provide. Exams take place at or near your local Costco warehouse. As part of this appointment, the optometrist will check your eyes for astigmatism as well as help identify your prescription. If you would like to schedule an appointment with an eye doctor, you can do so on Costco Optical's website.

Discounts

Costco provides good prices for those who purchase in bulk. In order to maintain this reputation, Costco Optical offers $30 off of a second pair of glasses purchased at the same time of your first purchase.

Variety of Top-selling Lenses

The eyeglass industry offers a number of different lens options to fit the needs of a wide variety of eyeglass wearers. Customers can work with an optician and/or an ophthalmologist to find the perfect lenses for their prescription and personal needs. Costco Optical has a number of different lenses available for sale. They include the following:

• HD Progressive Lenses — These lenses help provide high definition vision at any distance. They come with an anti-reflective treatment and are custom made for your prescription and frame selection.
  • Bifocal Lenses — With a separating line in the middle, bifocal lenses are made to help with both near and distance vision.
  • Single Vision Lenses — For those who only need lenses to correct one distance, the single vision lens are a great choice.
  • Polarized Lenses — The polarized lenses protect your eyes against glare and also block 100 percent of UV rays. For an additional cost, they can be made with a silver, gold, or blue mirror coating.
  • Transitions Photochromic Lenses — Transition lenses provide users with both prescription eyeglasses and prescription sunglasses. These lenses are perfectly clear while you are indoors and begin to darken immediately upon exposure to the sun. They also help protect against harmful blue light, reduce glare, eye fatigue and strain, and block 100 percent of UV rays. A specialty drivewear version of these transition lenses is also available helping reduce excess light and optimizing color contrast. They activate to a copper color which helps enhance color recognition and depth perception.
  • Blue Anti-Reflective Treatment — Blue light rays are known to disrupt the natural sleep cycle and in some cases damage the retina. The blue anti-reflective treatment helps reduce damage to the eye and allows beneficial blue light to pass through for increased clarity.
  • Anti-Reflective Treatment — The anti-reflective coating is used to sharpen visual performance, reduce eye fatigue and reflections at night, and decrease the amount of reflection that others can see on the surface of your lenses.
  • Multi-functional Lens — These lenses are similar to progressive lenses. The difference is that the intermediate reading area is much larger than it is in progressive lenses. This helps maintain a comfortable head posture while working at a computer and can help reduce eyestrain, tired eyes, and headaches.

Eye Care Products

In addition to prescription eyeglasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses, Costco Optical also sells the following eye care products:

• Lubricant eye drops
  • Lens cleaning tissues
  • Redness reliever eye drops
  • Multi-purpose solution
  • Multi-purpose disinfecting solution

The Bad

• Online Shopping
  • Scratched Lenses
  • Distortion in Lenses
  • Poor Quality Coatings
  • Long Wait
  • Customer Service
  • Must Have a Membership

Online Shopping

When you are looking for eyeglasses, one of the most important factors is being able to select frames that you like. Costco Optical does not provide a section on its website allowing customers to see all of its frames. If you would like to shop for frames, you will need to go to your local Costco warehouse. We hope that Costco Optical adds a frames inventory to its website soon.

Scratched Lenses

Recent Costco Optical reviews have mentioned frustration with lenses getting scratched easily. This has been attributed to cheap materials being used on the lenses. If you have been prone to scratching your glasses in the past, Costco Optical may not be a good idea for you.

Distortion in Lenses

Some customers have mentioned that their glasses have been distorted on the sides of the lenses. Some thought it might be due to an astigmatism, but the majority felt that the lenses were very poorly made, causing a number of problems. A number of these customers stopped using the glasses all together as they felt it was even more damaging to their eyes.

Poor Quality Coatings

The most common complaint found in Costco Optical reviews is that the coatings put on the glasses to protect from blue light, UV rays, etc. have begun peeling shortly after purchasing the glasses. Some have peeled from the sides, while others have begun peeling from random places in the middle of the lenses. This has made wearing the glasses very difficult and frustrating.

Long Wait

There have been a number of complaints about the wait time at Costco Optical centers. If you are planning to go to a physical location to get help from an optician with your glasses, plan to be there for a good amount of time. Some customers have waited for anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour.

Costco Optical reviews have not been very positive when discussing customer service. Not only have customers waited for long periods of time, but they have felt that the customer service representatives have not been very helpful. Customers who have returned glasses or tried to discuss issues with recently purchased glasses have not been pleased with the efforts made to solve the problems.

Must Have a Membership

In order to purchase eyeglasses from Costco optical, you have to have a Costco membership. If you do not have a membership and do not want to purchase one, you will need to look elsewhere for your eyeglasses.

The Bottom Line

If you shop at Costco, this is a great way to kill two birds with one stone. If you do not currently have an eye doctor and need to find out what your prescription is, you can do this after purchasing your groceries. If you are on a tight budget, it may be beneficial to look at a couple other companies to see if you can find a price that is better for you. If you are worried that you will damage your glasses easily, you also might want to look for a company that provides quality protection coatings.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

I don't think there is a more reasonably priced optical place out there. They have a great selection of eyeglasses and the in house eye exam is very convenient since you can do it right before you do your weekly shopping trip!

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have ordered various different frames from my local Costco Optical. They are amazing when it comes to accepting various vision insurances. It helps that even without insurance, their glasses can be insanely cheap! For all of my frames, the turnaround rate to receive them was only about a month-the whole process is quick and easy. I will continue to order different frames through them as they are such a great option,

JimS. Palm Springs, CA

Costco is the only place I will ever buy my eyeglasses. Did you know that most vision insurance plans, the reason they steer you to their “in network” providers, is because the vision insurance also owns the optical store chain? The optical store is obscenely overpriced, which is why your glasses come out so expensive even though you think you’re saving money staying “in network”. It’s a total scam. Costco has a great selection of frames in all price ranges, including Costco-brand frames and designer frames. The only difference is the hugely lower cost. “Ah”, you say, “but they’re not in my provider network”. Who cares? Buy your frames and glasses totally out of pocket, submit to your vision plan as an “out of network” claim. You won’t get the same allowance, but you don’t need to. The cost can be as much as 50% lower and your net cost out-of-pocket after your claim is reimbursed will still be WAY lower. And they even DO accept some insurance plans. Don’t get suckered by your vision plan. There’s a reason they send you to the providers they do— they OWN them!

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Costco Optical online is easy to use and manuever. There are great options to choose from and at good prices too. The glasses I bought online lasted me a good time.

xabriah glenn-young Tallahassee, FL

When it comes to service, Costco makes sure that you come in and leave with what you need and more for an affordable price. At the Optical center they make sure to meet the needs of their clients and ensure them the style and proper lens

RONALD WHITE Phoenix, AZ

Costco Optical has a great selection of frames and at a very good price. Getting my eyes checked with the optical physician in a very convenient way which took all of 25-30 minutes and then getting the prescription to step out of that office into Costco's frame department. All told, one hour of my time and less than $300, my glasses were ordered and now I wait for there arrival. A very pleasant and easy experience. Thank you Costco. Again.

Jec Canby, OR

Cute choices, although you do see a lot of people wearing e same glasses as yourself. Great prices on prescription and frames. Our Costco’s eye dr is a little rushed, the overall value is worth it.

Jodianna Tallahassee, FL

Glasses are very expensive! I feel great that Costco always offers me the best deal. Their optical department has many varieties and different colors.

Marty Blessing Fort Wayne, IN

Both my wife and I have gotten multi-focal no line glasses from them. The glasses have been OK and I haven't had problems with the anti-reflective coating. However, customer service is a weak point. When I went to get my glasses, they pulled a pair of womens glasses out of the numbered boxes and started to try to put them on me. My glasses were mis-filed somewhere and it took a while to find them. In my wife's case, the 2 week delivery turned into over a month. Costco didn't contact us when the glasses came in, so she finally called and they had been sitting there awhile. Being a membership store, they have plenty of contact information for us. The clerk blamed it on their automated notification system, which they said "doesn't work very well" . The staff is apparently too overworked to make any calls or send a text or email, despite knowing the automated system isn't working.

Carolina camacho

I love using Costco for many things, and eyewear is one of them! they have the best deals and cutest styles. The glasses are great quality

Karen E. Tornese Gilbert, AZ

I have tried Costco for my prescription the coating peeling off within a year. I cant see when wearing them the peeling is so bad theirs no way I can wear them. i have had this start in 4 months,gets worse and worse. I don't clean them with anything other than a Costco glasses cloth. I also only use glasses or lens cleaner.They are the worst glasses Ive ever owned, I have a few pairs of glasses from Walmart for years no problem with this optical retailer.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

We always use costco when it comes to optical. We go for appointments and to get our glasses and contacts. It is cheap, and they accept most insurances! Customer service is fast and amazing!

John Penrose Alexandria, VA

The fern street crystal city costco in northern virginia is a very busy place. I never shop at that costco, too busy all the way around. This is the first time i have purchased prescription eyewear outside of my ODs office and in-office optician. Well the service at costco is very lack luster. All mechanical, get them in and get them out. “Who is next”, kinda place. I placed my order june 22. I was curious why i hadn’t heard back from them and while at another, less busy costco with an optical dept., i asked if they could check my order. She said, my order was only placed on July 1….i said it was placed on the 22nd. Oh, they forgot to fill out the paperwork and it was returned . Well, they never called me to say there was going to be a delay. I call them today, 7/8/2021 and they happened to have just arrived they said, so i picked them up. They just handed them to me and expected me to walk away. There was no trying them on. There was no looking at my fit to see how I could see through them. I don’t even think these people behind the counter are opticians because they sure as hell don’t act like it. I don’t like these “progressive” reading lenses. That is right, progressive reading glasses. I don’t think the fit is adjusted to my sight. I feel sick looking through these. I wear regular varilux progressives, but never even heard of these. I am going to go back to another costco and see if they can adjust these. If not, i might see about a refund, if they don’t give me a refund, $95 is a good lesson for going to a discount eye care place like Costco. I will pay more, but the service where I usually go and eye care are worth it.

Joseph from Virginia Miami, FL

Great quality for the money and they make it easy to make a selection because they combine packages like tinting or transition etc. Just make sure that when you grab a number, you don’t wander away to shop because you have to be right there at the optical department when they call your number for service.

Anita Cleveland, OH

This was my second purchase at Costco Optical, and as usual, if was a great buying experience. I got two pairs of glasses, both designer frames, and they were only $60 each. I got the Transitions lenses in one pair and the Transitions Drivewear in the other pair. I got them in less than a week. I get lots of compliments on my glasses and I paid a fraction of what I would have paid at Lenscrafters. I used to pay 6-700 dollars there for one pair. I got two pairs for under 400.00. Can't beat that.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

I got my eye prescription from Costco. It was super easy to make an appointment and did not cost too much.

Ron B. Burlingame, CA

I have now bought two pairs of prescription sunglasses at Costco. They are OK at first but the coatings they put on for UV protection gets an "orange peel" finish on the surface in any kind of heat. It is impossible to wipe or polish them and they become worthless. I have several other pair of sunglasses that are older and they have never had any distortion issues from heat....Someone mentioned they apply all the "coatings" in one process unlike in the past and that is when problems starting to occur. I was just in Las Vegas and the outside temp got up to 120 degrees. My sunglasses started to become unwearable as the lenses distorted.

Totally satisfied Indianapolis, IN

I recently purchased a pair of glasses at Costco in fishers. I spoke to a young lady at the desk and was told the exam would be $49 and my progressive, transision, no glare, scratch resistant everything you can get lenses would be a mere $160. I chose my frames that were only $60. They even had semi-frameless titanium for $60. All included an unbelievably low price of $270 with no insurance involved and no tax. That's less than I paid in the 80's. Last pair I purchased a year ago was $600+ and I was never really satisfied. The exam was very thorough and Doc. Jennings was wonderful. Very nice and knowledgeable. It took only 4 days to receive my glasses and they are the best I have ever had. The 2 lady's I talked to during my 2 visits were very sober and not very personable at all. Not mean but not pleasant. Spoke only when required. Other than that a great experience. I will go back as long as Costco offers this service.

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

I use Costco Optical to check my lense persceiption and purchase contacts and glasses. I am really happy with my experience there. It’s nice to be able to combine a shopping trip with an optical appointment all in one place. I have been to Costco Optical in many different locations and all the staff have been very professional, helpful, and polite. My appointments were fast and stress free. The have several different contact brands and will recommend the best one for you. And I love their selection of glasses. I got a very cute, trendy pair for $50. But there are all kinds and shapes. Coscto Optical is awesome.

Barbara the Barbarian Elkridge, MD

I recently purchased two pairs of glasses. One pair had progressive lenses and work fine. The optician sold me on the “multifunction lenses” version with a blue coating for screen use for my second pair, which were less expensive. I thought the only difference was the coating because the optician failed to explain the difference in the lens itself as compared to the progressive lenses. He merely pointed to a laminated graphic of a computer screen. When I received the second pair, I was only able to focus by looking through the very bottom of the lenses. That made the image very blurry for reading, watching tv, walking around, and driving. So, Costco’s ”multifunction lenses” are only good for screen use while looking sharply downwards. I had to take them back for replacement with progressive lenses, for an additional $60.

Not seeing so clearly now Marshall, WI

This was a second glass purchase from Costco last summer. Had the blue light coating put on this time as well as bifocal for reading. Recently noticed a “scratch” on the inside right lens. Stopped at the optical department today to see if there was anything that could be done to fix this issue. Was somewhat rudely today that A. Costco does not guarantee their glasses B. I could order a new lens for $129 C. Maybe I could take it to a regular optician and see if they could fix it Needless to say this will be my last eyeglass purchase at Costco. I will use a different provider in the future!

Nya Nicole Tallahassee, FL

Very good customer service, would definitely recommend 10/10

Emily H West Wendover, NV

Staff was very friendly and helpful in helping me get my first pair of glasses. I was a little nervous trying to find frames that I thought suited me well, but was reassured by the kind staff member helping me choose frames. They are always willing to adjust my glasses and sunglasses for free, and clean the lens. I am very happy with my experience.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

I have bought contacts and glasses for myself and my daughters from Costco Optical. They have good selection and value. I can't say that i am a fan of all their restrictions during Covid but at least it was available when my college student needed an update on her glasses. The contacts and glasses usually come in about a week...a little longer for the glasses.

Linda Port Coquitlam, BC

Costco Optical reading glasses lense quality is not good or lasting, after a few cleaning of the lenses they are somewhat "foggy" and discolored, their reason is the film wears off and they do not sell a better quality (more $) lense.

Linda G Jeschofnig Denver, CO

Can't beat Costco for excellent selection, fair prices, and excellent customer care.

Keron Grey Tallahassee, FL

Costco is amazinggggg, I love how big it is and the fact that I can buy things in bulk and still save money, while get the option to get eye care is so wild to me. The quality of my glasses and the customer service was great. The doctor and staff of the vision center were a pleasure to work with. I’m satisfied with my decision to use Costco Optical for eye care. I LOVE IT.

Karen Berendsen Brook Park, OH

i have been a member for 10+ years. 3 pr bi-focals ok but Anti-glare coating is NOT. Peels & bubbles making hard for me to see & annoying for people talking to me. Cant order without. I will go elsewhere!!

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

It was simple, straight forward, and I've had my glasses for 3 years now and have no complaints! Plus the price was so affordable!

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

I have always gone to Costco for any optical needs. Excellent selection of glasses and very professional and friendly staff

Manuel Perez El Paso, TX

BUYER BEWARE!!! I've worn prescription eyeglasses for over 40 years. I can readily tell the difference between a cheap set of frames, a so-so one, and a high quality one. The covid pandemic shut down many businesses, including my reliable source of prescription eyeglasses. Before this happened, I decided to buy a high quality set of frames, and reuse them as my prescription changed. Back then I also checked Costco's inventory and found them to be designed to last me one year at most, with careful handling. Therefore i went with my old reliable source. This December i decided to try Costco for the first time and get a new set of glasses. After waiting out in an aisle for 30 minutes at the El Paso Costco, an employee finally talked to me. After explaining my intent to reuse my current frames, I was surprised when he said that the shop that Costco uses in San Diego is very picky about accepting work involving existing frames, including designer, custom ordered, and even high quality ones. the excuse is that they don't want responsibility for damaging existing frames. if any of the lower-quality frames they supply fails, it can be replaced under warranty and insurance will take care of the cost. In the end, the employee recommended that I order one of their cheaper frames. I made it clear I was not interested in doing this, so in the end the employee suggested other places to try and get my new lenses. Therefore I advice anybody reading glowing reviews of Costco Optical, to take them with a grain of salt. Do your homework and don't be misled my Costco's reputation on other product lines.

Jasmine Anderson Lehi, UT

I got two pairs of glasses and my contact lenses through Costco! They were helpful on instructing me on how to use my lenses properly and helped me get new glasses for a cheaper replacement price when my other ones broke.

Jared Provo, UT

I've never bought through Costco Optical, but I've browsed around their selection multiple times and thought they had a good variety. Their customer service is incredible, which is no surprise.

austin pliler Layton, UT

I don’t know what it is, but every time I go to the Costco optical center the workers there look like they’ve stayed up all night and just been through a divorce. I think they need a little more manpower in that little cubicle. But regardless I’ve had great experiences every time I’ve got my glasses there. I’m on my 3rd pair from them

Kristi Bingham Lehi, UT

I’ve always bought my glasses from Costco! My insurance is covered and I love the convenience. Whenever I have an issue I run over to my nearby Costco (which changes frequently because I move often) and they fix it with no problems! They also have a great selection of lenses.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I have used Costco for many years for our families eye exams and contacts. We love the convenience of having them located in Costco to get the exam before or after a shopping trip. Ordering contacts as Costco is also very convenient.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Costco Optical does all things well. In the case of eyeglasses and optical tests, they do fantastic. I used their own eye doctors, ordered the lenses and frames from their store and was able to pick up quickly. They are low cost, high quality and their service is remarkable.

Syl North Port, FL

I was Costco Optical patient in Orlando for many years. The appointments was great, they were efficient with the tests. The doctor makes sure my vision for my contact lenses was perfect. Highly recommend, excellent service as always. The staff are friendly, professional and efficient. Sad that I relocated and I don’t have Costco nearby.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

Costco goes above and beyond at everything...and that extends to optical! They spend time with you making sure you have all the answers you need, show you how glasses are supposed to properly sit on your face, and make sure you leave a happy customer. Hands down the best optometrist experience I have ever had.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Costco Optical offers me great value and great brand names to choose from. I have gotten high quality lenses and frames from there portal online. In every way, Costco Optical is better than most eyewear companies out there, especially in price. Very affordable.

Braylyn Linford Lehi, UT

This is the only place I will go for glasses for myself but for my family as well ! The Dr. is amazing and the Guarantee you can’t be anywhere else their customer service is great the service was fast and well we love costco

fernandopessoa South Jordan, UT

We had a so-so experience with Costco optical. We ordered 2 pairs of glasses for my daughter. The staff was friendly and great and the glasses came in a timely manner but they offer no warranty. If the glasses break and it’s not something super simple (like a screw) they cant fix them. We ended up getting her most recent glasses somewhere with a better warranty.

Fred L Bowman Seattle, WA

I am not sue if it was the eye doctor or Costco but I had to go back three times and they never got it right. I spent over $200 for a worthless set of lens and they never followed up to see if the las pair was right and treated me like a problem . I will never purchase glasses from them again

jindao he Los Angeles, CA

I bought two lenses from Costco Optical, the wider frame one is good fitted while the curve temples wasn't. at the beginning, I requested for same wider frame but they didn't have it in stock and recommend me another style which can not keep on my bride of nose. I was trying to get a new frame from Costco, and they did some adjustment which work for a while. but I still have the problem with this frame. is there any possible that I can fix this problem? I have bought 4 pairs of glasses from Costco in the past 3 years and I deserve better service.

ang ,

They have the best prices for my contacts. I order them online and have them shipped directly to me. It super convenient. Can’t beat the customer service either!

Bessie B Gilbert, AZ

I have purchased glasses there once. They had good variety and price. Usually I have a difficult time finding glasses for my thin face that is not a child's frame but the employee worked well with me to find a good fit.

Cal Hunter Riverton, UT

Costco Optical is slick way to get low priced glasses. One stop shop with the optometrist on site and the selection is great. Quick turn around time as well.

Msindoni Pembroke Pines, FL

Costco Optical is a great option if you are a member. I personally get my eye exams done there, as well as purchase my contact lenses through them. It's a simple process and very reliable.

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

We were very impressed with our visit to the eye doctor at Costco. The service was great our doctor was really invested in finding the best option to help my daughters sight and the price for our contacts was one of the best I could find. Would definitely recommend.

Brenda Horne Orem, UT

Our family has used Costco Optical to get glasses with great results. It has been more affordable than getting glasses at the doctor's office. They have also helped us with repairs.