Founded in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia, Capital One offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, banking services, loans, and investments.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • APRs
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards

Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders. For example, the company offers the Quicksilver card, which gives members every tenth Uber ride for free, and the Venture card, which gives members two miles per dollar on all purchases.

APRs

For some of its cards, Capital One offers introductory APRs of 0 percent for the first nine to twelve months.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently.

Free Credit Score

Capital One provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score at no additional cost.

Fraud Safeguards

Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards, including putting its associates through security training, putting social security number protections in place, and providing secure electronic funds transfers.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers a few cards that charge an annual fee of $0. However, this rate might only apply to the first year of the card, after which customers can expect a climb in annual rates.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which can vary depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Gina

October 2nd, 2017 Ellenwood, GA

Excellent customer service and I have never had any issues with my card

Darryl E. Dech

September 25th, 2017 Reading, PA

Efficiency, excellent web site, always sending financial information.

James Holsinger

September 25th, 2017 Fort Lauderdale, FL

They promised one thing when getting me to sign up then didn't deliver

B-JM

September 25th, 2017 Petal, MS

No hidden fees. Great customer service that includes dependable 24 hours service and the opportunity to talk with a real person. No long waiting for responses, receptive of customer's issues and disputes with good and prompt resolutions, dependable, safe and confidential of customer's information, reliable notifications and

Ernest LaBounty

September 25th, 2017 Alexandria, VA

Always there for me when I need them. Try to help in any way they can.

Cindy Harlan

September 25th, 2017 Manteca, CA

They gave me a chance and all I had to do was honor my end and they kept theirs.

Richard Oldenburg

September 25th, 2017 Tehachapi, CA

accurate and available for consultation 24/7

fernando

September 25th, 2017 Humble, TX

they were good on handling customers in need of help paying for credit cards

Jeremiah A Taylor Jr

September 18th, 2017 Hyattsville, MD

Slow increases on credit limit; I've always pay them on time, always more than the mimimum, but they're dtill reluctant to raise my limit

Karelia

September 14th, 2017 Smyrna, GA

It's good but fees are too high. Monthly finance charges are very high. Customer service and app/website are good.

Alex Pierre

September 14th, 2017 Orlando, FL

Too much interest on the credit card, forty-four percent is legal theft, will never use another credit card from them again

Julio C. Torres

September 14th, 2017 Miami, FL

Good customer service, payment options and facilities

PatH

September 14th, 2017 Marysville, WA

Rewards, reports, statement content, search feature, etc.

alex soto

September 14th, 2017 Myrtle Beach, SC

Extremely high interest rate but good customer service

Brenda Stough

September 14th, 2017 Dora, AL

Great company for credit cards. Excellent customer service any very easy to deal with. They take care of your problems very quickly.

Doug Hockett

September 14th, 2017

Efficient and easy to use. I trust them to give me good value and service

Carol Mayock

September 12th, 2017 Miami, FL

They have a great rewards system, and they gave me a chance to rebuild my credit when no one else would.

J Pena

September 12th, 2017 Lexington, KY

It' s an excellent company, very well organized.

Philana Fuller

September 12th, 2017 Fresno, CA

Great app and easy to use. Plus i can use the card everywhere.

Y.D

September 12th, 2017 Chicago, IL

They were willing to work with lower credit scores

Martina S.

September 12th, 2017 Washington, DC

Never had any issues, everything is pretty straight forward

George Cavicchi

September 12th, 2017 Buxton, ME

Because good on line website and very helpfull with problems

hiyam alzer

September 12th, 2017 Annandale, VA

low interest, no annual fee, great customer service

Susan

September 12th, 2017 Muskegon, MI

Because I've paid on time every month forb4 years and haven't had a credit line increase in 3 years

ednjudy

September 12th, 2017 Macedon

they bill me as late, my bank shows them paid days earlier.

Toni King

September 12th, 2017 Stockton, CA

excellent customer service very helpful to customers

Jesse Griffith

September 12th, 2017 Oklahoma City, OK

Always prompt on fixing glitches... very friendly and. Very helpful always

Carol Desir

September 12th, 2017 Thomasville, NC

I like is company but the interest rate could be lowered on my card,

Duane Sevilla

August 14th, 2017 Pueblo, CO

Apr is too high, monthly interest is to high

Mark Wales

August 14th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Extremely reactive to transactions and payments, they get posted very promptly. Plus, during a credit fraud incident they rectified the situation in a professional and efficient manner.

melvin werts

August 14th, 2017 Silverstreet, SC

They are very professional in every way and all communications with them you feel human and not like a number.

Renzy B

August 14th, 2017 Universal City, TX

They didn't give me a good credit balance to begin with even though I had good credit

Barry Berguson

August 8th, 2017 Taylor, AK

Because they keep informed about my account activite.

Phyllis and Michael Dusenbery

August 8th, 2017

They seem fair and interest is comparable with other cards.

Jeff Hofstra

August 8th, 2017 Ontario, NY

Their rates are little high. Customer service is very good.

Tom Carey

July 26th, 2017 Mukilteo, WA

I rate them 9 for their air miles

Aubrey Rentschler

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We've had a Capitol One card for some time now. We appreciate their no annual fee and their sky miles rewards program.

Jonny Hancock

June 5th, 2017 Draper, UT

Capital One will always be in my wallet! I called Capital One's customer service center to discuss what I thought to be an error on my monthly statement. The customer service professional helped me understand my monthly statement and was kind and knowledgable. Never did I feel belittled or judged for my misunderstanding with my statement. Towards the end of my call, I thanked them for helping me and apologized for misreading the statement mentioning, "I just recently got married and I forgot with all of the commotion of the wedding that I bought that." They politely ended the call telling me to call back if I had any more questions. The following week I received a card in the mail addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Hancock from Capital One. Curious, I opened the envelope and found a hand-written note from the customer service representative I had talked to, along with a $50 gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond. The note read, "Congratulations to the young couple, we are sorry this card is late but we hope you have a beautiful marriage." This has stuck with me for over 2 years! Because of this amazing act of kindness I will forever use Capital One's credit card.

Isaac Ramirez

September 21st, 2016 Belleville, NJ

I love Capital One. When I needed to refinance my car, they were able to help me out without a problem. I had some problems in the past with my credit but after I was able to work them out, I was able to get a new loan through them and they really helped me save money by offering a lower interest rate and not trying to take advantage of me like some other loan companies were.

C.T. Kerney

September 9th, 2016 Belleville, NJ

Anytime I've had questions or comments about my account, someone from Capital One is easily there to help me with my questions or concerns. I have two credit cards and a car loan through them and they are easy to work with. I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for a new card or credit for an auto loan.