Founded in 1850 and headquartered in New York, American Express offers financial services such as credit cards and insurance.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards Program
  • Fraud Safeguards

Competitive APRs

American Express offers credit cards with introductory rates of 0 percent for the first six to twelve months. After that, it offers rates competitive within the industry.

Rewards Program

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalty
  • Foreign Transaction Fee
  • No Free Credit Score

Annual Fees

Depending on the card, American Express can charge some of the most expensive annual fees in the industry. However, as with many credit card companies, the first year might have no annual fee.

Late Payment Penalty

American Express cardholders can expect a late payment penalty that is comepetitive within the industry.

Foreign Transaction Fee

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges one, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

No Free Credit Score

Unfortunately, American Express does not provide its customers with free credit score tracking.

The Bottom Line

American Express offers competitive APRs, several rewards programs, and a number of fraud safeguards. However, the company charges annual fees, late payment fees, and foreign transaction fees. Additionally, American Express does not provide free credit score monitoring.

G. Goodrich

October 9th, 2017 Orlando, FL

Best customer service. I have been a long time customer of American Express. I experienced some hard times financially, and fought my way out. One of the first cards to give me a second chance was American Express. In return, they have my loyalty for life. I refer everyone I know, and I recommend AMEX to everyone.

Christine

October 9th, 2017 Hyattsville, MD

I've had a while, no problems with purchasing

Edmond

October 2nd, 2017

Limited acceptance of the card. Amex is not accepted as much as Visa or Mastercard

Thomas Craig

October 2nd, 2017 Missouri City, TX

They are accepted almost everywhere. They gave me high credit limits and have automatically increased them due to my payment history. I also get hotel points.

RB

October 1st, 2017

Received 0 cash from an atm, but atm reported cash was dispensed. This was my paycheck money, i was using for evacuation from fl when irma was on way. Amex refused to review the transaction before the 18th of sept. They refused to even credit me the money as badly as i needed it. I been with them for years and the absolutely refused to assist me. I immediately stopped my direct deposit and went with pnc bank.

Paula

September 25th, 2017 Detroit, MI

I love earning flying miles. It is easy to use.

Tom Kosky

September 25th, 2017 Staten Island, NY

usually i have no complaints but when and if i do they take care of the problem right away.their customer service reps are polite and helpful.

William Bailen

September 25th, 2017 Newport Coast, CA

They have helped when my card was stolen /lost many times over the 35 years we have used AMEX!

Deanna

September 25th, 2017

Always helpful when I talk to them regarding my account

Win

September 25th, 2017 Fullerton, CA

Itemized statements, good phone representatives, good insurance protection experiences, no fee for foreign currency purchases

Robert

September 25th, 2017 Goodyear, AZ

Excellent fraud protection, and cash back

Vernon Cline

September 25th, 2017 Savannah, GA

they decline every single transaction as :fraud protection:

GREGORY

September 25th, 2017 San Antonio, TX

HASSEL FREE EASY TO DEAL WITH AND VERY HELPFUL

Reggie

September 17th, 2017

Terrible. Not telling the long story. Had ya for 4 yrs. No longer will. No more needs to be said.

Janet in Santa Cruz, CA

September 14th, 2017 Santa Cruz, CA

Customer service is empowered to make decisions or waive fees. They are always available and understand my issues. They have a pretty good interest rate. But it's mainly that calling customer service NEVER gets me someone who says "That's our policy. I can't do anything about it."

Dave Carpenter

September 14th, 2017 Germantown, MD

Good rewards card. Since we pay off each month, we pay no interest and make several hundred dollars each year in rewards that we use to pay off travel.

Haywood E Lawrence

September 14th, 2017 Silver Spring, MD

Easy to as for assistance and change your payment dates- Get help with APR, get wonderful assistanances.

Augusta Lynn Eaglin-Porter

September 14th, 2017 Cape Coral, FL

Their machine did not give me $40 I tried to get from bank machine. They subtracted from my money and been trying to get it fixed.

robert Brancato

September 13th, 2017 Rapid City, SD

Contact made to the company for both payment and interest rate increase. They were quick and resolved the issue immediately.

Torshia Woods

September 12th, 2017 Greenwood, MS

They provide excellent customer service.

September 12th, 2017 Delray Beach, FL

Has your back if something goes wrong on a purchase.

Thomas Taylor

September 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Well, American Express is a straight forward, well recognized card that has always been accepted everywhere with no questions asked. One time when there was a mistake on our monthly statement, a single phone call cleared it up in our favor with an apology from the company. Additionally, our card is a full AmEx card under a Delta Sky Miles plan that gives up credit for flights on Delta with every use!

Gottfried Tittiger

September 12th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

Terrible customer service and follow through, particulalry in travel services.

Shawn Marie Woodbridge

September 12th, 2017 Matthews, NC

Any time I've had a problem, AMEX Starwood Preferred has expeditiously solved my issues. Stellar customer service support.

Al Giral

September 12th, 2017 Edison, NJ

I really thought this card was a good idea to have, but your money is not protected against unauthorized purchases, I have been trying to resolve an issue but no solution..

Gunner

August 14th, 2017 Saint Charles, MO

Interest rate to high. Credit card rules to complicated

L J Swingholm

August 14th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

I've have the card for over 35 years, they always given me great service and let me know when someone tried to scam my account.

Rodger Reed

August 14th, 2017 Long Beach, CA

American Express goes above and beyond for their customers and are, in my opinion, the standard by which all credit card companies should be judged.

Dollarlock Slotech

August 14th, 2017

This credit card is not accepted at as many vendors as competitive credit cards.

William Dean

August 14th, 2017 Dallas, TX

Great customer service and fast response time. Higher credit limit and ability to go over if needed without penalty

Richard Ayres

August 14th, 2017 Conway, AR

Always there when you need them. Flexible, reliable, and providing the service you expect. Great folks to work with.

Sharon

August 14th, 2017

Some stores and restaurants in my area do not accept American Expresss

Bill Youngson

August 14th, 2017 Rockville Centre, NY

Uncomplicated & headache free transactions

David Blakey

August 14th, 2017 Carlsbad, CA

They have her best customer service of any bank I have dealt with

Gabrialle Martin

August 8th, 2017 Irving, TX

Good interest rate, great customer service.

franklin gurney

August 8th, 2017

great card company...easy to use and they really care about you!!

Carla Flowe

August 8th, 2017

They help rebuild credit, customer service reps are amazing, and APR is not bad

Jon and Gail Coleman

August 8th, 2017 Salem, OR

Their benefits are better than the benefits offered by Visa and MasterCard.

Christopher D

August 8th, 2017

They are a horrible company. Unwilling to fix mistakes made. Customer service sucks. Can't even understand what they are saying when they talk. Just an overall crappy company with a brand name.

Ryan

August 2nd, 2017 Detroit, MI

Great customer service experience. They tried to solve the issue quickly without wait time for a chat with a representative.

Irfan Khan

August 1st, 2017

Representative gave incomplete information about cards and its benifits. Feeling like he fooled me. Offers on many other cards are much better than AMEX. Will never recommend this card to anyone in India.

Amanda Labs

July 31st, 2017 Lawrenceville, GA

I have had this card since 2014 it was an amazing card ! Well just recently i had money for concert tickets coming back to my account. The amount was deposited into my account 2 days later they withdrew the money to hold it. To verify that it was a real. Even with proof from ticketmaster. Now this wouldnt be a big deal if they didn't keep lying to me about it or i guess not telling me 100% of the truth. Some people are saying we haven't gotten the money from them but the "managers" have said that they had. No one apparently can tell me what's going on other than i have to wait 7 days from the 27th even though it was deposited on the 25th. They state its in the terms and conditions but never in there does it state they have the right to remove the fund from the account to hold it 2 days after the fact. Beyond irritated and after I return home i will be probably closing my account with them based off of horrible customer service which okay with yelling at you and hanging up on you. Even if you swear at them and try to politely handle this!!! Beyond horrible!!!!

Oscar Tovar San Vicente

July 27th, 2017

The inability to deliver a simple card is unbelievable (Amex MEX).

Mark

June 12th, 2017

We used American Express for several years while they were affiliated with Costco. The annual rebate was reliable, and their website was easy to use. While we no longer use their services due to Costco's change to Citi, we would have no problem using their services in the future.

Sandra Dubas

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

American Express has been a good credit card for me. I like using them for big purchases because I know they are secure. One complaint that I have is that not a lot of businesses accept their credit card services.

Aubrey Rentschler

June 11th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I had an American Express card for over ten years, until they split from Costco. I did like their rewards program and never had any problems with them.

Ryan Hancock

June 6th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

I just used my Delta American Express card and it sure came in handy when I checked my bags. It is nice not having to worry about luggage fees, and zone 1 bording is also a plus.

Jessica C.

June 2nd, 2017 Apex, NC

I no longer have a card with American Express since they broke from Costco, but I never had any problems with them. I liked their website much better than Citibank's (who Costco partners with now), and they were really good to take care of the couple times my husband's card number was stolen and used, so that was very appreciated. They aren't accepted everywhere which can get annoying, but overall they were pretty good and I liked them. The only reason we were with them in the first place though was because of the partnership with Costco.

Jonny Hancock

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

I recently canceled my credit card with American Express because I simply wasn't using it. When I called in to cancel my card I expected a long explanation on why I shouldn't cancel my credit card instead I was greeted with the customer representative saying, " we are sorry to see you leave our credit card family, and would love to work with you in the future." Because of this simple response I will most likely use American Express again in the near future.

Kari Staheli

May 26th, 2017

I got my american express card so I can get the 40,000 travel points that was advertised with it. I spent $1000 in the first 3 months. After I spent my money they quickly credited my account with my travel points. Yeah!! I like the online payment option.