Consumer Cellular Logo

Consumer Cellular

Is This Your Business?

6.2

Kelly Lynnwood, WA

OMG! Not one person said the same thing! I unfroze my credit for them. They then charged me $15 because my credit was frozen?!? I am an AARP member, they can't find that membership?!? I asked for a supervisor to cancel everything, I was told they don't have supervisors?!? This is a bait and switch company and I DO NOT believe that those companies endorse this crackjack company

William R Benson Savannah, GA

I've been without voicemail for nine days, they said that they would have there technical department call me in 24hours it's been 4 days no call. But I bet they will still want full payment for services not delivered, going to switch to Verizon. I do not have account in my name I'm on Gloria L's account her voicemail work's mine still does not it's been about three weeks, they said I would get a call back within 24 hours it's been 6 days no call.

Daniel Bogart, GA

Every contact with Technical Support has been a nightmare and a waste of time. The latest is an "update" to voice mail that required me to set up my voice mail again and to lose all of my messages. No backup, no resolution. Just, "sorry for the inconvenience". Luckily I don't have a need for their pitiful support often. Not the great company they advertise.

Sharon Pittsburgh, PA

Great service and reasonably priced. They are always so willing to help with customer service when upgrading your phone.

Tammy

If you request a new number your landline name will not match your name. When I call a landline my name is "James Thomas". FYI- My name is not James Thomas. Representative told me it takes 72 hours to fix, after 144 hours it's not fix. Call again new rep told me 90 days to fix. Third rep indicated 90 days from the 2nd call not the first call. This information is not indicated on their website. I don't believe it will be fixed in 90 days and when it is fixed, the rep told me it still wont indicate my name but it may indicate wireless customer.

S L Carver, MA

Hi. I'm extremely upset and frustrated with consumer cellular. I had a problem with the phone overheating and i was unable to use it. The phone heated up alot and I was afraid it would catch the house on fire. I called to explain the problem but customer service said there is nothing can be done and I was charged 3 months and i couldn't use phone. I called and messaged consumer cellular and they were no help. Do not use consumer cellular. Nothing but problems.

Margaret Marietta, GA

I wish I could give it no stars, but that is not an option. Terrible service, charged me more than the $20 per month plan I signed up for, could not get bluetooth headset to pair with my phone and to top it off, I wasn't able to get the phone to charge, lost my credit card number and ran up a larger bill Happy to be rid of it. I will crush the lousy phone under a rock and bury it for posterity.

Twan Chicago, IL

This company is just ripping off seniors. Ive tried their services and products for my mother now on 3 occasions for and each occasion the service and devices have been a nightmare. The latest device is the Grandpa that doesn't work at all. It doesn't take any incoming calls from those in the group or consumer cellulars reps. Now she has been prorated for a service that she wasn't able to use as well as without a device now. On each occasion the customer support offers no support whatsoever and don't care to see the consumer happy.

Charles F Salliou Fort Lauderdale, FL

Terrible. Lies from these two well to do retired in their ads on TV.trying to make senior citizen comfortable...lies lies lies . I have no internet in my building so I average over their max plan of 20GB then they charge $5 each extra GB. I paid $164 for the phone...... So give yourself a break go to straightalk. Or metro. Consumer cellular is just targeting senior citizens who are not phone savvy. Anyone else gives you unlimited GB these days. This is a rip off .Stay away.and contact AARP. These are snake oil merchant ....charles Salliou. Please. Feel free to contact me at 828 476 9100.

Nanee Aurora, CO

My experience wasn't good at all. Had two iPhones sent to me the first iPhone wouldn't turn on. The second one turned on but couldn't make a phone call not even to 911. Very much dissatisfied and disappointed in there services. Also my information was typed in incorrectly. It seems like everyone I talked to knew what they were doing. However not to sure.

Sherry Gallant

For several years I have used Consumer Cellular service. I travel once a year and have always sent sim card when I return. This year they insist that I find a Target store and pay $9.99 for the card. I am a retired senior and changing this service puts me in difficulty. My phone will be out of use for a couple weeks until I can get to a Target. I am looking for another service.

FRANCES L BEARD Olympia, WA

Absolutely not. went to target in lacey, wa to (Cecil) switched today.. paid for sim card .. got info form old carrier and And then told it would take 24 hrs to import number and changed. left the store with no access to make phone calls or text. So the no contract, low cost is not worth the stress. went to Xfinity; go much better deal 2 Gb and unlimited phone calls and text for 15 per month!! versus CC with 250 minutes and 1gb for 25 dollars.

Kin Bellingham, WA

Data use took a big jump at a time when we were not using our phones. I called and was told they could not tell me when the data was used and what it was used for. I was told it was to protect my privacy. I was told I could speak with a supervisor and the representative set up a call back from a supervisor. Was told I would get a call within 24 hours. No call.

sue Tucson, AZ

I recently bought a pixel 3, not one of their phones. It took me 4 calls for someone to get my service to work. It took hours. When I complained that they owed me money for their incompetence, they told me I had to call back. I sent a letter to corporate offices, and I received no response. So disappointed and frustrated.

CW Sugar Land, TX

I decided to get my mother an iPhone with Consumer Cellular a few months ago. Unfortunately, my mother passed last week. I paid the phone off and was told the phone was the phone would be unlocked within 48-72 hours. Not a problem. When I called back to cancel service, they stated that the phone would not be unlocked, because the phone had not been on service for 180 days. No exceptions. This is a very poor display of customer service. I am now stuck with a phone that I have paid for and cannot use, because of some ridiculous fine print and a situation I had no control of.

Dixie S. Pittsburg, CA

Many times when I dial my cellphone the call goes to a phone number somewhere in Massachusettes. Same number each time and no one I know lives in Mass. Consumer Cellular says I need to delete the correct number that I have entered and enter it again in my contacts. HUH? Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Maddening! This company sucks. Going to talk to T Mobile and Verizon.

mhaus San Diego, CA

In the many years that I've had CC, I've watched their customer service and equipment go from tops to disgusting. My latest purchase, Doro7050, came with sticky keys, a company-wide software problem, I've been told. A solution is apparently in the making, but no exact date as to when a software update will be available . Until then, I'm stuck with a phone that barely works. CC has kept this problem pretty secret, since no public notice seems to have gone out from them to their customers. I'm switching companies!

paul morrison Lanexa, VA

loose service less than 5 miles from home didnt have service in house had to go outside to make calls changed service still have at&t for cell service an get service where didnt with consumer cellular . so what is problem with consumer cellular with all the high ratings .they have people who dont care for one cheap shoddy merchandise j.d powers an the rest of the rating companies need to take a closer look at reviews of all customers

Brian Eagen Londonderry, NH

Terrible customer service. I purchased a new Samsung Galaxie S10+ and when i received it, the CIM card was no good meaning I now have no phone calls in or out or texting working. When I called Consumer Cellular, the associate and the supervisor told me I will get a new CIM card in 3-5 days. When I asked about overnight shipping, they told me they don't do overnight shipping. Not good. After this issue is fixed, I will be shopping around for a new cell phone company.

Suzette DeGrazia Cherry Hill, NJ

I purchased an IPhone 6S through Consumer Cellular and have not yet finished paying for it and my phone is over heating ! They told me that my warranty was up yesterday and that there was nothing they could do for me. They then told me to take it to an Apple store so I asked what will that they do for me and he said nothing because it was one day after the warranty expired ! I have been with Consumer Cellular for many years but I am done now ! My new phone is useless and so are they !

donc Seattle, WA

Stay away!!! We bought an unlocked iphone from best buy and as soon as we inserted the sim card and activated the prhone, it locked to Consumer Cellular and we can't get it unlocked. They claim they can't do it. I've spoken to Apple, Best Buy, other carriers and all claim they should be able to help but they will not. What a TERRIBLE company!!! They are liars and cheats!!!

Ken Holland Patent, NY

Be very careful that CC can provide useable service in your area before buying a phone or spending any money. I had no idea they had poor coverage in my area - their map had a solid blanket of service . It turned out that a connection was only possible by holding the phone by a window. Because I bought their phone from a retailer (the only way I knew of), they would not allow me to return the phone to them for a refund. Now I have to spend two hours and $10 of gas to drive to the point of purchase (there was none closer) , and hope they will take the phone back and provide a refund.

Kelly Salt Lake City, UT

It is very difficult to reach a real person to talk to. We are changing after one month. My phone doesn't work well at all, although our 2 others worked pretty well. Once you do manage to talk to someone, they are not caring, not helpful, and unknowledgeable. we haven't had a good experience yet. One "Customer service" person says they will do one thing, the doens't . The next person says they won't . We called to get the phones unlocked and told them we were changing service. They didn't care. So unhelpful. Always.

JW Frisco, TX

Lost service called tech support asked me to go to tarfet to repalce the SIM Card. Replaced the SIM Card still no service. Tech support deleted all trhe data and did a factory reset and now the Iphone is completely wiped out and unable to activate the cell phone. Very poor Technical Support and customer service. I had the same issue with my Samsung galaxy S10.

Will Great Falls, VA

First of all horrible customer service. Personnel do not even know basic info on technology. J D Power must be a horrible service if they rate this company as best. If you want the most basic service it might be ok but they are missing features that everyone else provides like conditional call forwarding. My advice stick with a cheap plan from AT&T or T-Mobile. You will get good customer service there and basic features that work while getting a similar price.

Carol Reeds Spring, MO

Consumer Cellular is a big time ripoff for seniors. They get you on autopay and then continue to bill your credit card when you cancel their services until you tell them to stop the autopay. They do not tell you that you have to literally tell them to stop. Also it takes up to 3-4 days for them to release you telephone number to the new carrier, all the time charging you. If you are considering Consumer Cellular--DON'T!!!!!

Frank Gordon Palm Bay, FL

I have had consumer cellular for about 4 months. In that 4 months, my phone could not get or make any calls 4 times (that I know about.) Each time I complained, I was assured the problem had been fixed. They say they use AT&T towers but I had AT&T for 14 years without problems. The last representative I talked to seamed to know her stuff and was extremely polite / nice. My wife and I are getting along in years and need a reliable carrier. Heaven help us all if we ever have an emergency and cannot access telephone service!

Louis

The sims card CC sent assured me it would work Well it did not work with Verizon phone Took me 7 hours. To get my Verizon phone working. Lost my April payment, $42.98, lost my original account. Had to call my credit card, to file a dispute. May take 30 days. Had to open a new account. With Verizon. And pay $40.00 today, and set up another Auto payment plan. Now will I get back my $10,00 prepay? From CC Lesson learned the HARD WAY .

James Carson Portland, OR

Often poor connectivity. For 8 days I had close to zero connectivity, could only call or text from Wifi locations. Took Consumer Cellular 5 days to fix that problem. Spoke to supervisor who would only credit back 4 of those days. This despite my being on their network for more than 5 years.

Terri Goon Longmont, CO

REALLY BAD POLICIES that their customer service people do not believe in yet follow even in death! My stepdad died, but hadn't used his brand new cell phone for a full 180 days. They insist due to policy that the phone MUST be activated, even though he's dead for another 60 days before it can be unlocked. I am happy to purchase 60 days, but will not re-activate a phone for a dead man for 60 days. Sorry lady "policy".

Nikki Fort Mill, SC

Worst cell phone provider ever!! If I could give them no stars, I certainly would. I left them to sign up with another, much better and much less expensive cell phone provider. They put an erroneous blot on my credit (which has always been outstanding) because they insisted that I pay the difference for the one day over my due date. I did give them the difference for that one day, which was later agreed upon by one of their employees, but they then billed me and insisted that I pay the entire next month, which was ridiculous. My advice to anyone thinking of signing up with them....don't!!!!!

Franklin Newport, RI

Just a horrible team stealing money from senior citizens disguised as if they care..I see their ads on TV and I get angry . They act like you're missing a good deal.. I quit shopping at Sears because they sold their phone I quit AARP because they advertise their phone... if you get so many dropped calls that's what I was paying for just bad service I could get and if you find a mistake with them they will lie and try to make you feel like you're senile. So don't have a stroke find a Honest Company!

George Weigel Pittsburgh, PA

I was so hoping our switch from AT&T to Consumer Cellular would be a good move because the rates were cheaper and the customer service reportedly was very good. The problem was that we had so many dropped calls and holes in service area that we were forced to go to a more expensive company to get reliable service. Our Consumer Cellular service even varied depending on what room of our house we were in... and we're in a metropolitan area, not out in the boonies.

Cathy Columbia, SC

LIES from the get go. Ruined my phone by requiring me to put their sim card in it. They FAILED to establish service. Now they are BILLING me for service I never had. The phone doesn't work, but they are saying I had data charges. HOW???? On a phone that doesn't work and has been OFF since they FAILED to get it to work, could I possibly have data services???? Not to mention, I don't even know HOW to do data on a phone. I have now spent over two HOURS on hold for their so called award winning service that does NOTHING but RUIN a perfectly good phone. NEVER AGAIN.

Anonymous Columbia, SC

Hard pull on credit without even informing me my credit would be pulled. This is bad business. The day after I signed up I got the following alert from my credit monitoring svc.... You have 1 recent hard inquiry Hard inquiries from things like credit applications can stay on your report for up to 2 years, but their effects tend to fade over time.

Louis E Nady Indianola, IA

I would give them zero stars if allowed. If you the call back feature that is suppose to keep you place is line is a total lie. There flip phone require to be charged everyday and according to them is normal. I have going back to Version where the phone only needs to charges every couple of weeks, I visited by bother and could not get a signal but my version account never had an issue. Poor phones and coverage.

walter henshue Dexter, MI

I have tried a half dozen times to contact you with on results. then you call me and tell I need to talk tp representative and please hold for the next rep and while I am patiently waiting for this to happen you hang up the line if this your idea of service I dont want anything to do with your co. three times they said they would send us cards to see if our phones would work still waiting for that too need I say anymore about your service I dont think so

Gordon Riverton, UT

I have had Consumer Cellular handle my cell phones for over 2 years. I recently tried to switch my home phone over to them. It has been a disaster!! Their service is fine, their customer service is terrible. I know they say it is award winning but if you really have a problem that needs more than just superficial help you will be disappointed. You can never get back to the same person. I had to call over and over and explain my problem over and over. They don't listen well for unique problems and they pass the buck extremely well.

Bill W. Burlington, KY

I’ve never had a problem with the phones or customer service. Price is cheap, 3 phones cost me about the same as one phone at Verizon.

PAL Pittsburgh, PA

Twice my husband and I have gone to target in Monroeville,pa to get consumer cellular and twice we have gone home empty handed. What is with the techs that are either not trained right or are not showing up for work at the time it says they will be there. Does nobody start work on time anymore? Very bad for business. Guess I will be staying with Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Mclellan Erie, PA

My wife and I purchased 2 phones in Jan. of 2019. My wives phone has not worked for 8 days after numerous calls with tech support and supervisors still not working. I mean hours on my phone to correct the problems, The last call to tech support they pinged my phone and now it will not work. These are the kind of people you deal with at Consumer Cellular. Of course they tell you the lines are still active and they "Understand how I feel" . Just a corporate bull line that they are trained to say. My experience stay far far away from this company.

Joe Pensacola, FL

Terrible!! My father died and they continued to bill me for his account despite me providing them with his death certificate and no phone usage whatsoever. I had been promised only his card would ever be billed yet they latched onto to me after his death. I have excellent credit and did not want to jeopardize that. This company is completely cruel and heartless and I have spent hours on hold on the phone as you can never get through to them. Horrible customer service, poor responsiveness, understaffed and unprofessional. I could not be more disappointed.

Jay Haverhill, MA

The price might be right but the customer service is pathetic. Long wait times on the phone and after a 1 hr phone call trying to solve the issue of phone not working tech does factory reset and erases all pictures. Phone still won't work. Sends me to target and electronic employee calls them. He wants to replace sim card they won't let him. Phone has message defective sim card. After 3 hrs. sim gets replaced phone works. Pay the extra and go somewhere where they know what they're doing. Called cc and they are "sorry" . Phones only 6 months old. Taking my business somewhere else.

Anna Lehigh Acres, FL

I had to cancel my Consumer Cellular services because they gave me false information was told that my bill was going to be like around $25 and it turned out to be$46.80 which was far more than what I was paying with the Cricket. With cricket I got the $40 plan with autopay which they deduct $5 every month so I now am paying $35 per month which I think that's a much better deal and it's unlimited everything

Lars Marion, IL

The device and cellular service was fine but the customer service was terrible. I talked to them 5 times about the same issue as the promised followups and fixes never happened and their explanation changed everytime. I'm so glad I did a test run with them before switching my primary number - I really dodged a bullet.

Walter Cachia

No issues with support or service. Consumer Cellular offers a wide varity of plans and easy upgrades or down grades should a cusomers need change.

Thelma P Leatherbarrow Norwalk, CT

Absolutely wonderful customer service reps, attentive to problems!! Had a few issues and they were addressed promptly, never without service !!

John Atencio Denver, CO

Consumer Cellular is a bad customer service company. They shut my phones off with no notice even though they has received my payment on time. It took 2 hours on the phone to get reconnected. They take the approach that they are always right and the customer is always wrong. They made me pay for a phone that was ordered and never received saying it was my problem to turn my phones back on.

Walt Grand Rapids, MI

Their phones are way overpriced. Double the price. They are also locked so you can't use them on any other cell phone provider either. Text messages took forever to go through and with phone calls. Half the time there was no internet service. I sent an email to customer service and he did not address any of my issues but instead told me I should call.

sage Laredo, TX

I was with consumer cellular for about 8 years and during those times called CC a few occasions. Besides the first year, the rest of the times it was a nightmare to get to the Customer service, and at some point, I gave up calling them all together because of the extreme wait time and many rude reps. After they become unbearable with service and talk time limitation I had to find me some better option, and oh boy there were tons of them screaming for new customers with very attractive plans half price of consumer cellular. I am happy I left.