Ally Auto Logo

3.2

Ally Auto has been helping people secure auto financing for almost 100 years. The company has more than 7,000 employees, 17,000 dealers, and 4 million customers across the United States.

America First Logo
#1 America First chevron_right
USAA Logo
#2 USAA chevron_right
Mountain America Logo
#3 Mountain America chevron_right

The Good

• Buyer's Choice program
  • Ally Balloon Advantage program
  • Retail finance and SmartLease options
  • Vehicle protection products available

Buyer's Choice Program

Ally Auto's Buyer's Choice program combines the best of buying and leasing. The term length is determined based on the customer's vehicle selection and transaction. This program includes a special prepayment date; at 48 months into the contract, the customer can either prepay by selling the vehicle to Ally at the predetermined price set at signing (some stipulations apply) or do nothing and keep making the scheduled payments. This program also allows you to trade-in your vehicle at any time. The Buyer's Choice program is only available for eligible GM, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi brand vehicles. This program is not available in Nevada.

Ally Balloon Advantage Program

The Ally Balloon Advantage program works by taking a larger portion of your payment and attaching it to the end of the contract. This helps keep your monthly payments low. However, this program still has the same aspects of a traditional loan, including fixed APRs and monthly payments throughout the contract term. Additionally, you can sell or trade-in your vehicle at any time, as long as you pay off the remaining amount when you do. With the Balloon Advantage program, you can buy new GM, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi vehicles and all used vehicles except for Saab and Suzuki. This program is not available in Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, or Pennsylvania.

Retail Finance and SmartLease Options

Ally Auto offers both financing and leasing options. The company's SmartLease program allows customers to lease new or pre-owned vehicles through eligible dealers. However, it's only available for select models, but the website doesn't specify which models, so you'll have to contact the company for more information if this is something you are interested in.

Vehicle Protection Products Available

Ally Auto provides a variety of vehicle protection products, including maintenance contracts, theft protection, and tire and wheel coverage.

The Bad

• Acceptable credit ranges not defined
  • Rates and terms not disclosed

Loan Amounts Not Defined

Unfortunately, the Ally Auto website does not mention minimum or maximum loan amounts, so it's unclear how much you can borrow for an auto loan.

Rates and Terms Not Disclosed

Ally Auto has not disclosed interest rates or terms on its corporate website, leaving potential customers unsure of what to expect. Although these factors typically vary from case to case, it would be nice if the company provided a general range to give individuals an idea of whether or not the company will fit their needs.

The Bottom Line

Ally Auto offers a number of auto loan options, including its Buyer's Choice program, its Ally Balloon Advantage program, its retail finance programs, and its SmartLease program. Each of these programs provide unique features that benefit different individuals and their needs. However, Ally Auto has not disclosed loan amounts, interest rates, or terms on its corporate website, leaving potential customers to wonder whether or not Ally Auto is the right car loan company for them.

1.7

Alexis Kniffin Hackettstown, NJ

I wish I could give negative stars. They just repossessed my car in the middle of the night even though I paid yesterday the amount they said would satisfy the repo. But because I paid it “after hours” they said they couldn’t stop the repo. So they can take my money after hours but not stop a repo after hours. Makes sense right? Now today they are demanding the entire loan balance of $10k in order to release the car. I will go buy a beater before I give them another penny. Scumbags. All this during a global pandemic, and I had spoken to them several times letting them know I was facing some hardship as a single mother. I hope every person working for this dumpster fire of a company sleeps well at night with what they do to people. This was originally a $3k loan that they managed to give me rates making me pay over 4x the amount. And there was a hidden clause saying I was not allowed to pay it off early which I had no idea about when I signed the papers. Like many others have said, wish I had read their reviews. Someone needs to take these predators down, they prey on people like me with no or bad credit desperate for a vehicle and unable to get financing anywhere else and don’t have savings. Disgusting company.

Faith R. Providence, RI

I will NEVER use Ally again and I will continue to steer people away from them. They are a greedy, lying company. In the middle of the pandemic last year, I requested to defer my car payment for 2 months. We agreed payments would be deferred and would be due again 7/31/20. I paid that a couple weeks early. Got a call from them saying I was two months late! They lied and said they never talked to me and couldn’t do anything because it wasn’t their fault. They reported it to my credit for being 2 months late in a critical time in life when they’re supposed to be "helping". I have never, never missed a car payment in my life! They are liars and they will screw you over. Stay away from them!

Chris Henderson Dimondale, MI

I would never use Ally Auto for an auto loan ever again in my life, and would strongly recommend no one else use them for financing. They make it absolutely impossible to pay off your loan early and get an electronic lien release. I keep getting conflicting information, and outright wrong info, from their customer service reps. I overnighted a cashier's check for the balance on my loan a week ago and it still has not been applied to my account. I'm paying interest and insurance on the car that I want to sell because Ally can't be bothered to do their job in any kind of efficient way. Never again. STAY AWAY from this company.

Catrina Wittekind Snowflake, AZ

Ally Financial Auto is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. The customer service representative, with a few exceptions, are the worst. They lie and are very rude. When you ask to speak to a supervisor or manager they refuse to help you and tell you no one is available. I told them to have a manager call me back my the end of the next business day. No cal back and same issues continue. They are predatory and should not be allowed to continue business. Continually hit you for late charges even though the payment was made and in on time. Not only have they hit my credit once but twice a month on two consecutive days on multi occasions! So frustrated.

Sunshine Joliet, IL

The issue I have with this company is how they were reporting to the credit bureaus. I made a payment within the 30 days to prevent a negative mark. I noticed they marked me negatively for a month. I wrote them first and told them it was within 30 days. They said it wasn’t. I wrote the credit bureau with the due date and payment date showing it was within the 30 days. I received the the revised report and they removed the negative mark from the month I was disputing, but marked the month before negative. I didn’t think that can happen. So I wrote the company and asked specifically what month I was marked late. I was given 2 months and the month I was disputing wasn’t one of them. (reports only show one). I wrote the credit bureaus again about the negative mark and sent them the message from Ally stating the month in question wasn’t late and a copy of the date which the payment was made showing that it was within 30 days. What confuses me is that the account in question is a joint account so both of us should have the same reporting, which it’s not. I also gave a copy of credit reports from both of us showing this and the credit bureau still did nothing. If this sounds confusing to the reader, its because it is! The good thing is that during the pandemic I was given forbearance and didn’t accrue late fees. I just wish they would report accurately.

Jaye Miami, FL

The ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED SO MUCH SO I AM TRYING TO REFINANCE SO I NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH THEM. THEY CLEARLY DONT HAVE REP IN THE US AND THEY ARE UNHELPFUL. Made me nervous as they kept asking fir my social Though I gave them the account number!! Absolutely horrible decision to finance with them! I will never use them for anything else. I can’t wait to be done with this company!!

mnbafm Mesa, AZ

Terrible customer service and the agent refused to provide me with accurate information. The hold times are insane and the customer service representatives Amber in the Closed Bankruptcy Department -- would rather argue with me and prove that I should have known that I have online access which I do not. Please pull this call as this is a terrible experience

Randy M Ann Arbor, MI

Is there a negative star rating? This company is trash and I would never knowingly do business with them. I would say that I bought a truck from a friend , but I'm 30 days in and still waiting for the release of lien letter from #AllyAuto . which means I'm paying on a loan, paying insurance for a truck, but cannot drive this truck because I can't plate with the S.O.S. without the letter. completely unacceptable in the modern world. I guess when GM deals with a bank in India you shouldn't expect anything less.

DG Argyle, TX

If I could rate them lower I would. They can't correctly post payments made early. They apply the whole payment to principal instead of the next payment due and the excess to the principal. It then takes them weeks to fix because the unit that does the corrections is overwhelmed. This is the second time this has happened in the last six month. Finance elsewhere if you want your payments to be posted correctly. This is apparently not a core strength of Ally.

Wilfredo Majano Germantown, MD

Hi my name is Wilfredo I am getting a bad experience with this financial company, they are thieves, you have to be very careful supposedly according to them I am 88 days late but it turns out I make my payments automatically and after 20 days they cancel the transaction it is unfair I do not recommend them they are about to remove my truck they are some thieves.worse experience

Shane Oltman Fredericksburg, VA

Extremely poor auto lender that does not allow refinancing or early payoff of principle. Customer service is outsourced to incompetent employees in India.

Anthony Perry Queens, NY

If they pop up when you are financing run far away from this bank. Was told i could refinance after a year which they lied. The customer service is just horrible i will never take a loan from these people ever again.

Meg ,

I truly wish I could have this place shut down. I went to make a payment 1/8 for $180. I was behind (COVID) only 2 payments and I had a set up with them where I pay &180 weekly until paid. Well when I went to the website to pay, I deleted the $955.18 that was in the line and put $180. On 1/11 I went to buy gas and I was NEGATIVE 844 dollars in my account. THEY TOOK THE FULL AMOUNT AND PUT ME NEGATIVE. I called and was gave the run around and told they have to hold my money for 10 days!! I flipped and they put a man on (who of course can’t speak English well) and he told me they would overnight it. I called 1/14 to see where the money was as I’m still negative and now have MULTIPLE overdraft fees. To be told they had to hold it for 10 days then send it. I was SICK. My whole check was taken when it was deposited into my account. I’m a single mother that just started working again. But they don’t care. I called after the 10 days to see where my money is and they told me that they put in for a PARTIAL return of 339.94. YOU ALREADY TOOK IT AND REFUSED TO GIVE IT BACK FOR MULTIPLE DAYS THEN ONLY PUT IN FOR HALF. I told her if they’re giving me a partial payment back to just keep it! I had to go do my taxes early to get the advance to even put myself in the positive so it didn’t keep eating all of the money I put in. Today I went to look at my account and it says I’m past due $338.94 and it was due yesterday. I’m sick, these people have put me through absolute hell. I’m a single mother with two kids and they didn’t care. The men I spoke to were beyond nasty, and all that they kept saying was on the website receipt it states $955 not $180 so I did it. When I know for a fact I put $180. So they’re system is messed up and the blame was being put onto me. What disgusts me is there is absolutely NOTHING you can do. They just transfer you around to whoever is next to them. You try to speak with a manager and just get even more nastiness. I will NEVER go through ally again, I’m currently trying to find ways to get rid of them period. DO NOT USE ALLY AUTO. I promise you, walking is better than going through this HORRENDOUS PLACE. They make you feel stupid and put the blame on you. I know what I put into the system and they decided to take it all and completely screw me. I will be putting these reviews EVERYWHERE so EVERYONE knows to not go through them ever again!

So Happy B’N Me ,

If there was a score lower than 1 I would give it! During the on-going of the Pandemic you call and her on their line, how they are here to help!! Well that’s a lie, bc when KIM the CSR answered I inquired about late fees being added to my payment. Now, mind you I called two months in a row and was advised that during the pandemic late fees would be waived. Now it’s not 30 days late, it’s 2 1/2 weeks late okay. Well, today 01/13/21 Kim advised that Ally had a no longer offering relief due to the Pandemic!! I explained that your company continues to say there’s assistance as you wait on hold, so either your lying or you need to update the hold lie! This is the worst company and apparently it’s outsourced to overseas companies due to the language barrier when you get a CSR on the lune. I was like, oh if I fall behind and or go into a repossession status will there be help then?? I asked again, if you can help me make sense out of 1. Your rep saying no late fees. 2. When I call I’m your phone announcement says; there’s help. 3. You told me today that I can only get a 1 time late fee waiver and it was already done??!!! Welllll, let me just say SHE hung up on ME!!! Now could someone explain what type of Customer Service this is???? Ally YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!! And you will hear from me again!! Ur company need to go out of BUSINESS!!!

J. Union City, CA

Horrible horrible customer service calling redemption!!! Guy named Sergio is very rude and can careless about the customer!!! My father passed away and had his vehicle repoed, we tried getting in touch with them with no luck. Very long hold times I even emailed them back on Dec. 21, 2020 still waiting for the respond. I was able to pay the balance they said was owed and they had no idea where my vehicle had gone!!!! I was on hold for over 1hr and 10mins for Sergio to say it was in Vegas I called them and they said my vehicle had left their lot four days before!!! How does ally not know where the vehicles are located??? So here we are trying to figure it out it turns out after some digging and pressuring the reps at ally not redemption of info on where my vehicle went they gave me two places one in Reno (car wasn’t there) the other in Sacramento (car found) I called sac and they said Ally had not sent a release form yet!!! It’s been over a week since I paid my balance!!! WTH!!!! Horrible horrible customer experience ever!! Needless to say all this mess has been on going since Dec. 20, 2020!!!

Richard Asencio Newington, CT

Worst bank ever. They don't care about costumers at all , they don't look for choices for costumer. They not do refinance for existing clients , they do it only for new people just to play them like they do with old clients. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BANK AT ALL.

Howard Lynch Rosedale, NY

My experience is actually a MINUS 1! The customer service representatives are syrupy sweet but totally ineffective! Three weeks of being told I would get a fax and mail of a lien release only to have to call again and again to advise them I didn't receive it. Faxes are almost instantaneous and shouldn't take THREE WEEKS to get. The U. S Postal service, as slow as it may be usually doesn't get deliveries wrong 3 times! And there is no chain of command. I don't know how Ally Financial ended up being a lienholder of my vehicle since it was financed with GMAC so beware and watch your vehicle documentation carefully!

I L Perez Columbia, SC

Four major problems: 1) Lack of empowerment and website knowledge. 2) Poorly coded automation. 3) Too much outsourcing. 4) Representatives ask too many private questions (some which I never authorized) as “security questions” over an unsecured phone line. Representatives have little knowledge of the workings of the site and are very limited in what they can do if there is a problem. In an incident back in January, a recommendation from an Ally Supervisor was executed, causing the payment account to be banned from making payments. It took almost 4 more months to correct the issue. Recently, I discovered that the Auto/One-Time Pay system is poorly designed (doesn't allow me to create an Auto-pay setup for Dec17 when today is Nov18, but does allow me to make a One-Time payment as far ahead as May17). I also found an issue when choosing to make a second payment (usually applied to the Principal/Financed amount). You are only given the option to apply the overage within the payment to the principal. (If regular payment is $450, two payments of $450 does not allow the second payment to be applied to the principal. If I make a single $900 payment, it does ask and allow the overage to be applied to the principal). I am seeking greener pastures.

Tim Johnson Eureka, IL

Loan's are ok , they could have better rates for higher credit score customers

Jillian Jackman Philadelphia, PA

I wish I could give a negative review of this company. No regard for their customers during A PANDEMIC only cares about getting their money. Reported my car 30 days behind its payment the same month I got the car, double charged me for 2 months straight and repossessed my car after missing 1 MONTH. Once I get my car back I’m definitely going to refinance through another bank, horrible isn’t even the word. The Customer service Department should be terminated entirely, no help at all. Shame on this company.

David Houston, TX

Refinanced my car loan through a separate company. Had a supervisor from ally stop my automatic payments. Even put a stop payment hold on them. They still withdrew the money and when I asked why that happened no one could give me an answer. Absolutely terrible customer service. They have zero answers for any questions. Glad I won’t have to deal with them wouldn’t even recommend them to my worst enemy. Really I just can’t say enough bad things about them .

Courtney Crowley Oakdale, NY

IF I COULD GIVE IT NO STARS I WOULD. THEY set up my auto pay for the 20th of each month, even though my bill is due on the 13th of each month. then they proceed to call me for 7 days each month telling me my payment is late. when i call to ask them to change it. I am told I just need to "deal with it" they have a 15 days grace period. THIS COMPANY IS THE WORST. NO ONE IS HELPFUL. you wait on hold to be told to do it yourself on the website. no one can help you. everyone is making "notes" on your account but when you call again there are no notes. USE ANY OTHER COMPANY> DONT GIVE BUISNESS TO THIS TERRIBLE COMPANY!!!!!!!!!

Chris Germiller Rockville, MD

I understand people say this a lot, but my experience with Ally Auto has genuinely been the worst, most time-consuming customer service experience of my life. If you don't read this while post, just know that after dozens of calls mad to Ally over weeks, I've been unable to get a single document mailed for me, all while Ally's customer reps have given me constantly contradictory information and have also consistently failed to follow through on their basic promises. This entire time, all I've been attempting to do is to re-register my vehicle from Tennessee to Maryland. Upon going to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), I was told I need to fax them a duplicate title from Ally. I called Ally Auto, and the rep gave me contradictory messaging as to how quickly they can send a fax. Because I had an MVA appointment, I asked that it be sent ASAP. At first, I was told they could fax the duplicate title within minutes. When the MVA received nothing, I called back and was told it might take a few hours. When a few hours passed, a rep at Ally told me they cannot send the duplicate time before 2 business days. After this, I simply requested a duplicate title be sent to my home address. After getting this duplicate title in the mail weeks later, I went to a private tag and title agency (licensed by the MVA, that I was told would my quick). The tag agency told me they will need the original title mailed to them overnight. To do this, the agency faxed a request to Ally. I called Ally to confirm receipt, and a representative from Ally assured me they’d send the original title overnight. Over 1 week later, the tag agency told me they had never received anything from Ally, so I called Ally back. Another Ally representative originally said that they had never mailed anything because I needed to send Ally a (never before mentioned) request. I called back the tag agency and they told me that this new request *was* their original faxed request. I called back Ally and they claimed the original title was in the mail after all, and to wait several more business days. Another week passed and the tag agency told me they, again, had not received the original title from Ally. I called Ally again. On the first call, I was sent from a representative to voicemail. On the second call, I was told that they were still waiting on the original title from the TN Dept. Of Revenue (TDOR), and to wait 1 business day. Not trusting Ally, I called TDOR and they told me they’ve never received such a request from Ally. I called Ally a third time and they told me, again, that they haven’t heard anything from Tennessee and to wait. I then informed the Ally rep that TDOR had just told me they had never received Ally’s request, and the Ally rep again insisted I wait. Again, not trusting Ally to do anything, I asked the Ally rep for an address so I, personally, can arrange that TDOR send the original title to them. I got Ally's PO Box for this purpose and called TDOR back. TDOR then told me they had sent the title to Ally in 2019, over one year prior. I called back Ally a fourth time that day and told them they should already have the title. The Ally rep put me on hold and said the same thing they had told me 3 times that day: that they’re waiting to get the title from TDOR. I, again, told them that TDOR sent them the title last year. The Ally representative then said they’ll send the title to the tag agency (saying that they do actually have it) after he sends “a request”. I tried to clarify this, and the Ally rep again told me they’re waiting on the title from TDOR, contradicting what he had send moments before. I again told him that I had called TDOR and that they had sent the title last year. The Ally rep then, finally admitted they do, in fact, have the title and will send it in 1-2 business days. That is where I am now. Each time I call, mind you, I have to go through an automated phone system, and then I will typically will be put on hold before I speak to an entirely new person and have to re-explain the increasingly complex and ever-changing situation. I am beyond frustrated with Ally's complete incompetence, confusion, and willingness to lie when I reliably pay them hundreds of dollars per month.

LEEANNE MARIE Portsmouth, NH

During pandemic they repo'd my car, only owe 2 paymnts, plus late fees -when asking what I needed to get my car back I was given 3 different dollar amounts via 2 reps, like are you for real ? The company that took it broke federal laws by not reporting to local police~ 17 hrs later still no idea who has my car, and the business hours are incorrect so I had planned to call them back for the 5th time today and at 7:35 ish they were closed, yet they claim to be open until 10 ET.. Bottom line, horrible~heartless company, pretty bad when another recovery agency tells you that ALLY uses one particular repo company thats very shady -they move around frequently and also said I'm looking at a good law suit because of their shady ass's~18 hrs and counting...still no idea of who has my car, thanks Ally

Garrett Kocian San Antonio, TX

I wish I could give a zero star, thats what this company deserves. The site is always down, every month I have to login multiple days until finally I can pay my car payment. This month I tried to pay my last bill over the phone and the customer service rep wouldn't even tell me how much I owed and tried to make me guess. The website also shows UNAVAILABLE on all my info. I just paid the car off and have no idea where the title is or what happens next, customer service on the phone gave me the run around transferring me back and forth, re-authenticating each time until one of them just disconnected me. I need to know my account status and someone should be able to tell me what's going on. This company seemed ok a few years ago now its shady and unhelpful.

jennifer savel Grosse Pointe, MI

Avoid at all costs. A very simple and standard request for a lien release letter from a 2015 loan payoff took 4 phone calls and a total of 3.5 hours to resolve. Three of the 4 reps I dealt with spoke such broken English that it necessitated the multiple phone calls and hours on the phone. Every one of them gave me a different status of my account, all of which were inaccurate. They couldn't find it, my SS# wasn't in their system, my loan still had a balance, and best of all, they faxed the lien release letter to a fax number I hadn't provided them! My request had been expedited, but because they sent the letter to the wrong fax number, I was told they'd have to make a new request for expedited service, starting my time-to-wait calendar at day zero. It took my demand to speak to a supervisor or manager to kick them into gear. Letter was faxed within 5 minutes of ending my phone call to Ally. If I could give this review zero stars, I would.

Lynn Cohn Southfield, MI

I am only giving 1 star so that I can leave a review. HORRIBLE!! Stay away from this company!! I had a auto loan with them for 3 years. I called to pay off the loan so that I could sell the car. I was told if I paid it off on there website/on line, the Lien Release and Title could be fax the same day to me and would also be sent to the Secretary Of States' office, per Michigan Law. I provided a fax number (which I had to call a Fed Ex office to get) as they don't email. I paid off the loan and waited for the fax, which did not come. I called and they said it would take 7 to 10 business days to verify my payment. The money had been taken out of my account. I had no choice but to wait the 7 to 10 'business' days, plus 4 weekend days and 1 holiday day. 16 days later, I still didn't have the paperwork or a buyer anymore. The buyer couldn't wait weeks for the car. I only paid it off to sell it and now had no buyer. I then called on day 16 and was told it was mailing out today and would take 1 to 4 more business days to receive....I had called and emailed during all this time trying to get a reply and never received one. I was also told I would receive an email notice (but they don't email?) when it was processed, I never received and email notice, a mail notice or a phone call. I wish I had read the reviews before using them. Terrible company! 0 Stars.

Megan Orourke Lake Orion, MI

Ally is absolutely disgusting what they do to people and how they treat people. I traded in my car in February rolled over the payment into my new car. Spent hours upon hours on the phone trying to figure out why every month I was showing a late payment. They keep asking me if I wanted to pay for instead of showing late payment. The car was traded in and rolled over payment!!! Finally stated they took care of the issue today I get a bill in the mail for $3000 late payments not having insurance on it late fees. Why would I have insurance on a car I traded in in February why do I still owe payments. In August when the lease was up in April? When I called them they told me just wait for the collection agency to call because now I’m in collections. Absolutely disgusting human beings to deal with rude unprofessional the guy laughed when I told him I was gonna put a complaining and told me his boss didn’t have time for me. I’ve never in my life been so disgusted!! Fraud when I asked why I have to double pay answer was wait for collections to call you to take care of your loan???

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Ally had the loan for my previous vehicle. It is a great company that gives you timely and good information in the mail. The rate was good, and I had no problems for the life of my loan.

Michelle Mobley Norman, OK

I’ve had my auto financed through Ally since October 2017 and have nothing but good things to say about them. They have always been great when I would called and very respectful and helpful. I will be using them for my next vehicle.

Jean Garcia Allentown, PA

I fell back on payments, Enjoli and Amber were pleasant and definitely displayed phenomenal customer service! Give these ladies a raise. Customer service is not an easy job, I definitely felt a sense of relief after speaking with both of them. Thanks again ladies!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I have been with Ally Auto since 2014. And my overall experience with them has been pleasant. Every time I have called in their agents have been friendly and helpful. Their log-in portal on their website is simple and easy to use. However, there is not many features to it- so its main function is simply checking your total. There have been no major issues with them in my 4 years with them. I tried to set up bi-monthly payments and was told I had to fill out paperwork and submit it via mail. After doing that I was informed I couldn't set up bi-monthly payments. Several months later- they set up the feature to do payments online. You still cannot schedule multiple payments in one month, but you can set up your monthly payment online now, which is an essential addition to their website.

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

We've had several car loans over the years with Ally, and we've been grateful for their great customer service, and the way they take care of their customers. They are always polite on the phone, and easy to deal with. If you don't want to call, their website is easy to navigate, and works well to pay your bill, or set up auto pay. They have competitive interest rates and try to help their customers save as much money as possible. I have never had any problems with this company.

marlene lugo New York, NY

DISGUSTING BULLIES!!!! they repod my car after missing 2 payments, never informed me DURING A PANDEMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm so hurt, when i called them to make my payment they said i had to pay my full amount or they will auction the car. of course because its a 2017 paid off about 80% of it and now expect me to dish out 13,000.00 DURING A PANDEMIC!!! i had to ask for an advance from my job which is mortifying. they are extremely rude about it and worst of all i never got a call from them or anything. there has to be something done!!!

Tutu Heinonen Hollywood, FL

If I could give a zero I would! My auto loan account was charged twice in the end of September. At the end of October I was charged a full amount again. All Ally can do is to send out a check with the waiting period of 10-14 days. Meanwhile my bank account is on minus and I have other bills pending. This is not the first time this has happened with this company. I am thoroughly disgusted with how they treat their customers.

Scott Dye Phoenix, AZ

Terrible experience. This is an online bank, so when you sell the car first you have to pay them off with a check sent in the mail! They have your title filed electronically with your state's DMV. So they have to notify the DMV to release it, and then a few weeks later you get it in the mail. So I was fortunate that I had a buyer that really liked the car and was paying cash. It took 6 Weeks!!... from the beginning to receiving my title. The customer service is farmed out foreign countries and you might or might not get someone you can understand.

Patrick Dawson Decatur, GA

We worked with Ally Auto to finance our previous car and we will NEVER work with them again. They have by far the worst customer service I have ever experienced with any company in my life. First, we moved to a different state and needed some documents mailed to the DMV to facilitate the plate transfer. It took 3 weeks and 8+ phone calls to accomplish a simple task of mailing one document to the DMV. Then, after completing the lease, we returned the car to the dealer and it has been 2 months and they cannot even agree among themselves about how they want to receive the odometer statement. Every single person we speak to has a different "process that has never changed," from having the dealer fax it, call it in, mail it; having us email it, fax it, send it by mail, submit it online, etc. We have done all of these and they somehow never seem to receive it! This is so bizarre! Are we their first ever customer?!? Is it being managed by pigeons??

Kristy Rowley Des Moines, IA

This company is a joke. I called in January to request some documents to make changes to my title, waited 2 weeks, didn't receive them. Called again in February, waited 3 weeks, nothing. Called again in march and they had "shut down the title department" due to covid. (No one can work remotely?) Asked to speak from a supervisor, but none were available. Asked for a call back from one, didn't get it. And still no documents. Called again, finally got a supervisor who said they would personally FedEx the documents, and call back with a tracking number. Never did. So I called to speak to a supervisor again, none available. So I finally decided to refinance and called to cancel the warranty on my vehicle. Later that week I finally got the documents I waited 6 months for and it was dated the day I cancelled the warranty and started the process of refinancing. If that isn't some shady business, I don't know what is.

KACOLE Urbandale, IA

I only gave 1 star because there is not an option for none. There customer service department is NOT helpful. My husband had an auto loan with this company that he and is ex wife were on. My husband was solely responsible for paying the loan and did so. In fact over paid when paying it off. Ally sent a check however it was made out to both parties not with MR OR Ms but with Mr and Ms. The title to the vehicle is OR. They would not reissue the check to say OR so that it can be cashed. The MS is not available to sign in fact we have no idea where she is. Ally is not helpful in helping fix this as all that is needed is a new check with Mr OR Ms. So we are now out over $400.00 in over payment. We will NEVER be associated with this bank or any of its products. I would not recommend them to ANYONE!

Barracuda Sterling, IL

Ally called my parents who have nothing to do with my son's auto loan. My father suffers from PTSD from Vietnam and dementia. Their collection agent told my father they were coming to get the car. My father told them to stay off his property. Keep in mind my father doesn't even live in the same city as my son. The agent told my father they could come look for their property any time they want and there is nothing he can do about it. He responded with I don't give warning shots. With that the agent hung up and called my cell phone, I co-signed his loan. Agent tells me he is calling the cops and reporting that I threatened to shoot one of his agents. Remember this is the 1st call i have received from ally about my son not paying his loan and they have moved to repossession so he is 4 months behind. I tell them I will pay to bring the account current. They tell me I have to go to wal-mart and use moneygram and pay an additional 10% fee. Seems fishy so I hang up and call ally customer service. They verify that EFT is not good enough they want the money by moneygram. I go pay the ransom including the repossession fee even though they never repoed the car. I take over the payments on the car, i try to log into the account and it says my account # doesn't exist. I call ally and am told my account has been transferred to some special department and my web access has been removed. The person in charge of my account only works 830-4 m-f and I have to call her. Finally after 9 days she finally calls me back. Very rude, very mouthy woman tells me it's my own fault that I said i was going to shoot them so they have to protect themselves. How removing web access to my account protects them I don't quite understand? So in short ally breaks half a dozen collection laws, discusses the account with someone not on the account and I'm the bad guy? When I brought the account current ally removed my son from the loan and moved me from co-signor to owner. I can't prove it because my son lost the paperwork from the loan and ally says it has always been my loan with my son as the cosigner. Please tell me another bank that allows a 20 year old with no credit to co-sign a loan for someone with a 738 credit score. In closing, if you have any other choice in a lender take it. Even if it is a higher interest rate. Your mental state will be worth the price difference.

Dkrug Philadelphia, PA

This organization has shown poor communication skills between staff, and handles things with a very unprofessional way. They have taken my money without consent on a non-autopay loan numerous times. Because of this they suspended my bank account so they cannot debit it anymore but did not tell me. So I continued to make my on-time payments and they never accepted them saying I still owed the month they took out numerous payments at once. My bank account showed my history and shows their illegal authorizations. I have talked to them but their server say different things than my app and the website. They have also took it upon themselves to defer my payment 240 days (120 Days twice) without consent. They tried taking out a payment a couple weeks before that payment was supposed to be due. (I have made sure and have had clarification from staff that my auto-pay was off this whole time).

Jaci Rhoades Bryant, AR

This company gave me a GREAT finance rate. A little over 1%. Customer service was nice any time I had to call. And when I sold my car, they were quick to help me into my new car.

MATT Mccollom Olathe, KS

There customer service is awfull you talk to someone about a payment arrangement. Then don't follow through on there end and then charge you late fees over it. DO NOT GET A CAR LOAN THROUGH THEM

Starla Granbury, TX

I got an auto loan from them in October of 2019. I pay a little extra on my car payment and I write a note saying to put the extra amount towards the principle and not the interest. Well, in the 8 months i've had the car, I've had to call them 6 times to get it fixed because they would ignore my note and put the extra amount towards the interest. I just got a bill in saying that I have an unpaid balance and a 55 financial fee and I have no clue why because i've never missed a payment. So I am going to have to call them again. I'm never going to use them again.

libbylou Colorado Springs, CO

Easily the worst bank I’ve ever dealt with. They outsource all of their phone calls, highest interest rates I’ve ever paid, it took three weeks to get a COPY of my title. When paying my vehicle off they wouldn’t clear a cashiers check for over a week and help the title for another 4 business days. Never had an easy phone conversation with them. When I found an error I called and asked for it to be fixed. They said it’s not wrong but would fix it anyways. If it’s not wrong why fix it? Spoiler alert: it never got fixed. 0/10 would not recommend

Adam Smith Olmsted Falls, OH

Dealing with Ally financial is a complete nightmare. Called to inquire about the process of doing a co-signer release for a vehicle- was given 10 different answers as to how to go about the process by people who barely speak English. Finally received the correct information after about the 11th attempt to acquire some clarity. Had all the documents ready to submit- called to confirm the fax number to send them to, “Oh you have to mail those.” Spoke to another person, “Ok here’s the fax number to send those to.” Called the next day to confirm reception of the documents, “Here try this fax number instead. By the way, our department is back logged; we probably won’t review your application for one to two weeks.” They reviewed the application within a few days and denied the transfer. Mind you, the person we were trying to transfer to has prime credit with no history of missed payments, low debt and a good income. Thank you Ally financial for your excellent customer service! What a joke...

jessica lopez Scottsville, KY

If there was a negative star rating, Ally auto would get it. On Feb 10, I requested an extension payment which was accepted and I made the extension payment amount as requested on Feb 10, 2020. As of March 7th, my extension was still not processed even after I paid the extension request amount on feb 10th. I was sent to collections because they didnt process the request, charged a late fee and was told after 30days my credit monitoring places would be notified of my late payment (Which was not late) as my extension payment was approved just never processed because ally screwed up. I overpaid for Feb by 180$ because I had to pay the full amount for Feb because the 180 was not applied to my account and was told that amount would not be applied for my march payment or any other payment. 30days after requesting the request, my extension still hasn't been processed for feb or march.. I would not recommend this company for anything and if im able to refinance with another company I will. Oh, and let's not forget any customer service rep you talk to has thick accents and you can't understand a word they say and they lie and tell you whatever to get you off the phone. I've NEVER asked for an extension payment before and NEVER been late with my account with Ally auto the entire time I've been a customer. And to be treated like I was purposely not paying even tho it wasn't my issue but theirs for failing to process the request is ridiculous

Bonnie Birdsboro, PA

Ally gave me the loan for my SUV via the Dealer. I have never had a problem with their service, in fact I will use them again if I decide to purchase another vehicle.

Margaret Sheets Fort Worth, TX

I had no issue with Ally Auto , I made payments online for almost a year. No issues. On Jan 4, I went online to Ally.com to make my monthly payment. The system was down for maintenance, so I called Ally customer service, and was told that I could make a payment through Western Union Speed Pay and the $ 4.00 fee would be waived. Made my payment for $270.00, cleared my bank on Jan. 7. No problem. On Feb, 1 I went online to Ally.com to make a payment, Here is where my nightmare begins. On Feb. 3 I had a payment amount of $ 270.00 removed from my bank account POS. Western Union Auto. On Feb 4 the payment I had made online cleared my bank. Went to the app and only the online payment showed on my account. Also the $ 274.00 Jan 5 payment. No $ 4.00 cerdit. So here is where my nightmare begins. Called customer service, the first rep that I spoke to, who had an accent so thick I could not understand, the only payment that showed was the online payment. Through several days of multiple phone calls of long hold times and demands to speak to a supervisor, I spoke to someone who told me to fax in my bank statement. Which I did on Feb 7 along with a 2 page fax cover sheet explaining situation. I was told I would be contacted. In the meantime, I am also calling Western Union with long hold times and being told I called in Feb payment. On Feb 13, I called Ally customer svc again, again massive hold times, demands for a supervisor, finally spoke to someone, whose name I never understood, who after I demanded a conference call with Western Union, was finally told there was a glitch with Western Union, the situation was being escalated and I would be contacted within 72 hours, which I wasn't and still haven't. I let it go, and just waited. Flash forward to Feb 28 when I went online to make my Feb payment. My account was past due, the payment made on Jan 5, had been charged back to my account. Called customer service went immediately to collections, through long hold times, over 20 mins, a rep came to the phone and I demanded a supervisor, once again put on hold, held 10 min, hung up and called again. At this point I have been on the phone for almost an hour and a half. Went through the whole thing again, put on hold, finally a man named Mark Lessor with a heavy accent came to the phone. Explained the situation, told m my card had been declined and get in touch with my bank. Demanded once again for a manager and pleaded not to be on hold. He put me on hold for about 10 mins again. Finally a woman named Cherri came on the line, she could not explain what or how a payment made on Jan 5 that had cleared my bank was charged back to my acct on Feb 25. I demanded another conference call with Western Union spoke to some very rude woman whose name I never understood but she was Operator 195 that the situation of the payment was being reviewed and I would be contacted. When I tried to ask any questions, she would talk over meand repeat the same response. I gave up, hung up with Cherri. No one from Ally nor Western Union has contacted me. I give Ally Auto a -10 for an overall rating to handle a situation created by Ally Auto Finance and Western Union Speed Pay.

Patrick Muncie, IN

Ally is bar far the worst bank I have ever used. I have been trying to get them to post a $30,000 payment from my insurance company, and they just keep saying it takes time to post. It appears that Ally always takes weeks to post payments on total loss vehicles, maybe that is why so many customers post bad reviews. My car insurance company only took a few days to get the check and all required paperwork to Ally. I just need Ally to post the payment so my Gap insurance can pay the remaining balance, but it appears Ally wants to rack up additional interest while holding the insurance payment for weeks. NEVER, NEVER,NEVER use Ally Bank for any reason.