Ally Auto Logo

3.5

LAST UPDATED: October 26th, 2021
Ally Auto has been helping people secure auto financing for almost 100 years. The company has more than 7,000 employees, 17,000 dealers, and 4 million customers across the United States.

America First Logo
#1 America First chevron_right
USAA Logo
#2 USAA chevron_right
Mountain America Logo
#3 Mountain America chevron_right

The Good

• Buyer's Choice program
  • Ally Balloon Advantage program
  • Retail finance and SmartLease options
  • Vehicle protection products available

Buyer's Choice Program

Ally Auto's Buyer's Choice program combines the best of buying and leasing. The term length is determined based on the customer's vehicle selection and transaction. This program includes a special prepayment date; at 48 months into the contract, the customer can either prepay by selling the vehicle to Ally at the predetermined price set at signing (some stipulations apply) or do nothing and keep making the scheduled payments. This program also allows you to trade-in your vehicle at any time. The Buyer's Choice program is only available for eligible GM, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi brand vehicles. This program is not available in Nevada.

Ally Balloon Advantage Program

The Ally Balloon Advantage program works by taking a larger portion of your payment and attaching it to the end of the contract. This helps keep your monthly payments low. However, this program still has the same aspects of a traditional loan, including fixed APRs and monthly payments throughout the contract term. Additionally, you can sell or trade-in your vehicle at any time, as long as you pay off the remaining amount when you do. With the Balloon Advantage program, you can buy new GM, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi vehicles and all used vehicles except for Saab and Suzuki. This program is not available in Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, or Pennsylvania.

Retail Finance and SmartLease Options

Ally Auto offers both financing and leasing options. The company's SmartLease program allows customers to lease new or pre-owned vehicles through eligible dealers. However, it's only available for select models, but the website doesn't specify which models, so you'll have to contact the company for more information if this is something you are interested in.

Vehicle Protection Products Available

Ally Auto provides a variety of vehicle protection products, including maintenance contracts, theft protection, and tire and wheel coverage.

The Bad

• Acceptable credit ranges not defined
  • Rates and terms not disclosed

Loan Amounts Not Defined

Unfortunately, the Ally Auto website does not mention minimum or maximum loan amounts, so it's unclear how much you can borrow for an auto loan.

Rates and Terms Not Disclosed

Ally Auto has not disclosed interest rates or terms on its corporate website, leaving potential customers unsure of what to expect. Although these factors typically vary from case to case, it would be nice if the company provided a general range to give individuals an idea of whether or not the company will fit their needs.

The Bottom Line

Ally Auto offers a number of auto loan options, including its Buyer's Choice program, its Ally Balloon Advantage program, its retail finance programs, and its SmartLease program. Each of these programs provide unique features that benefit different individuals and their needs. However, Ally Auto has not disclosed loan amounts, interest rates, or terms on its corporate website, leaving potential customers to wonder whether or not Ally Auto is the right car loan company for them.

1.6

rick myers Toronto, ON

Should have a "0" Star rating. If anyone that is leasing a vehicle do not use ALLY unless you like to have many customer service reps tell you one thing, others another, document on web site another and so on. I have never been given more inaccurate information by representatives from same company in my many years of dealing with people. In a nut shell: Decided to trade in at a dealer ship not associated with ALLY. My buyout was 20,000. They were given a buyout of 42,000... more than the car was new. Called dealer where I leased it from, they said only option is to turn in there. Car had low mileage, called Carvana, offered me 29,000. Decided to buy it out myself then re-sell to Carvana. 6 Weeks later still no title, they have had money for a month.. many calls. Website says, send certified or bank check and would have within 10 days. I sent next day UPS.. waste of money but at least I had tracking information.. 4 weeks in a requested a supervisor.. just gets worst.. Hopefully this will be past me.. but the sour taste will never go away..

7 hours ago

Jordan Graham Windsor Mill, MD

This is by far the worst experience ive had dealing with any organization. During covid i lost my job and needed a 2 month deferment/extension to get back on my feet. I spoke with a representative who had me pay a fee of $364 for the service (makes sense) a month later my credit is dropped for a “late payment” and come to find out the payment was put towards the loan and not the deferment and there is no record on my profile of a deferment, matter of fact there are no notes on my profile at all. So i call again to figure out what was going on and the representative says that I called and canceled my deferment. From then i knew there wss something sketchy about Ally because i didnt have a job, why would i pay for a service, and cancel it given my situation. Again there was no call log or profile notes concerning my cancellation other than the notification, of which did not come from any action i took. A manager spoke to me and i explained to her the situation and we settled on a courtesy request to allow me to get the deferment i had previously paid for, and i was to hear back within 2 days. That was sept 30th and since then i have heard nothing back from anyone but collections despite my calls every 2 or so days to speak to a manager concerning my courtesy request, of which was scrubbed from my profile notes because there were days reps and managers could see the unread request up until last week, and now there is no record of any deferment requests at all other than my “cancellation”. Regardless ally got another payment out of us that we requested, were eligible for, and specifically paid for over the phone. I will never return to ally auto, neither will my family, customers, nor the people i reference. Sad part is i know im not the only one.

Katherine Hartvickson Lindale, TX

Worst experience ever. My daughter died from Covid and the insurance company paid off the vehicle. I have had multiple conversations with at least 12 representatives and told them the amount and date the insurance company paid the vehicle in full. Apparently the credit collections department does not communicate with the billing or insurance departments. Now they are threatening to repossess the vehicle and damage my credit. I am beyond frustrated and will never use nor recommend using Ally to finance a vehicle.

CORRADO INFANTINO Plant City, FL

This is the worst possible bank to do any type of business with! Their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with, they don’t do a single thing for their customers, to HELP their customers. This bank not only had my vehicle towed at 3 am from my own driveway but then they told me in order to release my car I had to pay a little over $1100 to get my car back and not only did I do that, I paid over $7000 to pay the entire vehicle off instead and they still sent my car to auction and still have the $7000 I paid to have my car back! This company is a disgrace, including the actual people who work there. I have spoken to many representatives here with my frustration levels being over the top and sure, there’s a certain way of handling difficult customers like myself at the time but the way they handled themselves was certainly not the proper way and I made that very clear to each and every one of them! I’m currently on hold with them now for 40 minutes just to get a supervisor on the line, apparently my representative here can’t find a single supervisor in the whole building they are working in to take my call… I will personally make this supervisor hop in his car and drive the 3 hour distance they drove my car to, to pick it back up and bring it to my house because this is ridiculous, I’m not paying these people another single dime!

Sarah N Oakhurst, CA

I used ally twice bought a new car in 2018 paid my loan off in 2019. Bought another new car in 2019 and am working steadily on paying off that car ahead of schedule as well, I'm almost done with this loan and will likely use them next year to buy a truck. My one and only issue with them as I was using their loan to build up my credit, is that it seems they don't report back to the credit bureaus monthly and do so quarterly. Other than that their app and website make it easy to make my payments.

Jamie Pensgard Atlantic, IA

I financed my vehicle in May 2020 through Ally. Made my online payments 100 percent on time, never had a single issue. Paid off my vehicle June 2021. It took two weeks (with pandemic I wasn't worried) but Ally sent me my title and now I'm on my way to registering my vehicle in my name. I worried about all these negative reviews but I seriously had zero issues with Ally, so there is hope if you're reading through all the negatives worrying like I was!

Dodson Owings Mills, MD

This is the worst company ever. During this terrible time of a pandemic, they have NO compassion or understanding of what their customers are going through. Many have not been able to get employment and ask for just a little help from them. They turn their backs of down and out customers who in the past did everything they could to make their payments on time. We are in a pandemic and you would think they would be more understanding and offer their customers some help. They DO NOT! They, instead, offer no help or solution to struggling customers. They refuse to offer any help and report them to the credit union, making matters even worse. Given another opportunity, I would NEVER do business with Ally Financial again. I asked them if I could defer a couple of payments until I was able to catch up. They refused to help me. People are struggling during this pandemic and they don't care.

Kelsy Russell Charlotte, NC

I’m on my second loan with Ally. I’ve never been late on a payment. My home was just impacted by Hurricane Ida to point I can’t return to it. I’ve lost most of what I own. I’m trying to relocate near family right now so I called to have a couple payments deferred. My car is everything right now. I can’t lose my car and I can’t take a hit to my credit for no reason. They denied my deferment due to it being a fairly new loan. I would understand in most situations, but I’ve literally lost everything and I’m only asking for a couple months Deferred while I deal with the emotional and financial trauma brought on by a natural disaster. Customer service told me they can’t help. They were sorry about my situation, but I have 10 days to make a payment before it’s reported to my credit. I asked to speak to a supervisor and , after being given the run around for 30 minutes, I was put on hold for 1 1/2 hours until I finally hung up. Their answer is to ignore a customer until they hang up. A company this big can’t DEFER a couple payments to help me in a time like this?

Prem pokhrel Checotah, OK

I've been with ally auto since 2018 and just now once I've paid off the amount there comes the trouble. The department who handles the credit reporting does not have the phn number. I can't get hold of them, it's been 2 months and it still haven't reflected on my credit history, I've talked with representative for more then 7-8 times.. They are nice and polite will do their best to help, but they are also restricted on things they can do. I don't own them any amount now but it still says my account is active on credit report. For other people who are looking forward to use ally I' would find other options. At the end Ally will make you helpless and all you can do is wait. I've already called the Trans union and dispute the transaction. hoping for the best. F**k ally Financial, I will never ever work with them. they made me feel helpless at the end.

David Cape Coral, FL

I've had three cars financed through Ally and all three experiences were good. They are pleasant to work with and helpful if you encounter a few bumps in your road to paying down your loan.

Chris Wilson Grand Rapids, MI

You guys have THE WORST customer service. The worst I’ve ever had to deal with in my life. I keep getting the run around with your customer service team, no one has the same answers and Im tired of playing this game. I’m a really easy going guy, but geez I want to be a Karen so bad. If you guys had a physical address I’d be in the building right now. Can’t even get a simple release of lien letter. I can’t even begin to understand why it would take 30 days to FAX me a release letter. Why? Because your company is ran by idiots. The first 10 people (I called a different person everyday) said 7-10 days. I waited 7-10 days. Then I call back they have 3 different people tell me 1-2 days. I wait. Now someone today tells me 30 days. What’s the answer? Why can’t I get something faxed? Why is that not instant? Just ridiculous and unprofessional.

Eric Sopp Denver, CO

(For Ally Auto): 1. Weeks have passed and a supervisor will not call back. 2. Online system does not allow secure messages to be sent. 3. I hear different things from every department. SCRA says my issue is "being handled." A different department says "it's being looked into." 4. All email addresses given to this point to resolve issues have been invalid. 5. Company was unable to manually take payment or change the amount of autopay. 6. Took approximately 4 months just to get my SCRA benefits as their system would not accept my active duty orders. 7. Due to their online system not taking the correct payment amount, I was only left to cancel my autopay to pay my correct amount manually. 8. After paying correct amount manually I was unable to set up autopay as system said "no payment is currently due." 9. This resulted in a late payment while on deployment and not having internet access. 10. Doubtful the company will remedy the situation based on previous experience.

Phyllis Goldman Ellicott City, MD

Run walk do what ever other than buy a car using their financing it’s the worst company ever customer service people have no idea one even told me I have no idea I will be removing my car from their financing as soon as possible even if I have to pay more They should be ashamed of themselves

Kiera Benn The Villages, FL

If I could give zero stars I would. Awful company, they call your entire family (can we say HIPPA violation) but refuse to answer the chats, emails or phones. they send payment confirmation but payments are not entered in the system. They offer economic hardship, but do not defer the payments, then try to repossess . This is the 3rd time they have tried to repossess my vehicle due to "system issues". I've spent a week trying to get someone on the phone and after 98 minutes and 36 seconds of waiting, I got hung up on.

katie stone San Diego, CA

I leased my car through Ally and was planning on doing a lease buy out. I’ve stated that multiple times talking to people. I was out of town when my car was repossessed even though payments were all caught up and they did not bother to send me written or verbal notice. Now for 7 days straight I have been relentless in trying to get a hold of ANYONE at Ally via phone and email that can give me any information about not only where is my vehicle but how do I get my vehicle back and how to do a lease buy out. I’ve tried calling every single department possible and I keep getting transferred to different departments until someone eventually disconnects or hangs up on me because no knows the answer to my very basic questions. There has to be someone in charge of my account and there has to be a way to get a hold of this person. It feel like I have a better shot of getting a hold of the wizard of oz. it has been a week now that I do not have a vehicle to get back and forth from work or transport my son to school or the hospital god forbid he has an allergy attack. No one has gotten back to my emails and I’ve sent one to every email on the website and it has been a week, no response. This is unacceptable and down right outrageous to do to people in a time like this when we’re all just trying to hold onto our jobs through a pandemic.

MariaMaria Richland, WA

Had the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! After talking to several representatives, which were very professional on the phone and letting them know my current personal and financial circumstances, including being in the hospital with my mother for more than 2wks, not having a job, starting my own business, and few other things. The company proceeded to repossess my car with no warning., not even a notification online. Bottom line, their system is, if you do not get car in 15 days, they will auction it and if you do not turn in your keys they will rekey your car so it can be ready for the auction. The past due balance for my car was only $600, The cost of my car was over $14,000, my balance was a little over $6,000. Then, to get my car back I had to bring my account current and pay a fee two times bigger than my monthly payment. Well, it doesn't stop there.... the next moth's payment was scheduled more than a week in advance to be paid on time. On the due payment I received a notification from the credit score company, to my surprise Ally reported my account delinquent 3 days in a row, starting 2 days before my next payment was due and the day the day of the due payment. This event decreased my credit score by 23 points. Other companies including GM financial worked with me and reported "Improved Account" once I started making my payments on time., but NOT Ally. As soon as I found out I called the company, they told me they were going to enter a credit dispute resolution, it has been two days now and I have not received any documentation or evidence that they have done that. I had NEVER experienced anything like this, this is very disturbing especially during these times where many of us are facing unusual challenges, medical, physical, financial, etc. I hope this will help people make a better decision when they decide who they do business with.

Roger Tipping II Laurel, MD

Incredibly slow and difficult to work with. I wanted to buyout my lease (so I could sell or trade in my vehicle) and they decided they were going to charge 15k more for a dealer to buy it out than for me. So instead of being able to go through a dealer on the purchase, I had to come up with the cash myself. Got the cash, overnighted a certified check. Over a week later I'm still waiting on the buyout packet to be emailed despite being told by managers that they would expedite it after calling in 5 days in a row. Bottom line: unless you have NO OTHER OPTIONS do not finance your vehicle with Ally. They are bottom tier with horrible support, no physical locations, and customer-unfriendly policies.

Jennifer Slater Flanders, CT

I financed through Ally and was, for the most part, satisfied up until I paid off the vehicle and was looking to obtain the Title because I sold the vehicle. I contacted customer service and was guaranteed delivery of Title on or before 8/6/21. On 8/4 I contacted them again asking what the status was on the Title and did not get a response until the following day saying that they just sent it our and that it would take 7-10 business days to receive. I was told that they would send it fedex because it was very important that I get it by that date, but instead they sent it through regular snail mail and I have some unhappy buyers on my hands. Bottom line is they make promises that they do not keep. Would highly recommend doing business with another company!

Norsemerc Anderson, CA

If I could give them zero stars I would. Absolutely to worst company I’ve ever dealt with. They’re customer service representatives are rude and don’t let you talk when you call to fix a problem.

Angela Rowe Peachtree City, GA

They lost my payoff check that was sent by FedEx with the account number on it. I know they received it on August 24th. Today they confessed that it’s lost!!! I reached out to them daily. This check was signed for. This place is proof that hell does exist. Has anyone anywhere had a positive outcome with this company when it comes to payments?

Laurie Hulse Cape May, NJ

Ally financial inc, I one of the most unprofessional companies I have ever dealt with in my life. I have been trying to fix a problem for a year and half now . I have reached out to many different departments within this company and they just switch me to different departments and never solve the problems. I would not lease or have them a loan me money ever again! You can’t fix stupid!

Sarah Lynn Myrtle Beach, SC

Literally the worst we had paid july and August at the same time then they charged us again for August. They said they would refund the money and apparently lost it. Now my fiances account is negative due to over draft fees because they double charged us and lost the money. Never finance with this company its awful and they have zero customer service.

Cynthia M Hazleton, PA

My son and I had a loan with them for our auto. My son decided to sign car over to me and then I signed over to the same dealership that sold it to us. All paperwork was signed. The dealership told me I no longer had to pay ally that they would do a payoff and handle whatever was left on the loan. I found out that payoff was made, it was electronically sent through website, that is the way dealership does things. Ally text me today and said I am late with my July 14th payment. Dealership sent payoff through on July 13th. So...the agent told me it takes 2-3 days for it to go through. Ah, it's the 21st. Way past 2-3 days. They insist on me paying. I told them I will get a lawyer and sue them. The Philippines is where the calls go through. They have no idea what they are doing. I am so mad.

PissedOFFATL Bernalillo, NM

Due to losing my job during the Covid shut dow, Ally did not help me in any way. I asked for payment plans or possibly skipping a payment and adding it on the back end. Not one of their customer service reps were willing to help. One rep even told me I shouldnt have gotten the car if I was not able to pay. I did a payments that were more than a few hundred each month but not my full payment because unemployment is very low in my state. They harrass you and tell you there is nothing they can do. Then when you do get caught up after getting a job, erronious late fees show up months later and you are expected to pay. They report to your credit very quickly and will do ANYTHING to make it hard for you to leave them. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!

Rachel Scherer Fort Worth, TX

If I could give 0 stars I would. These people do not want to help and assist you what so ever. I called for payment help due to Covid and not working. I asked for an extension. Was told I could have a two month extension provided I pay a fee. I told the rep I could not pay that amount due to no income and unemployment not processed. Rep said that she would note my account that information. Here we are 30 days later and Ally is contacting my business saying I'm past due and owe money. Never did they contact me directly. Called ally back and was told I am not granted my extension from three weeks ago cause I never paid the fee but no one called to tell me this. The supervisor I spoke with today was so rude cutting me off and would not let me speak. Said my account would be reported to my credit company as late and I don't qualify for extension. They asked me to ask friends or family to pay my bills for me. He refused to help me. Will be refinancing my car at a different bank.

Sunshine Joliet, IL

The issue I have with this company is how they were reporting to the credit bureaus. I made a payment within the 30 days to prevent a negative mark. I noticed they marked me negatively for a month. I wrote them first and told them it was within 30 days. They said it wasn’t. I wrote the credit bureau with the due date and payment date showing it was within the 30 days. I received the the revised report and they removed the negative mark from the month I was disputing, but marked the month before negative. I didn’t think that can happen. So I wrote the company and asked specifically what month I was marked late. I was given 2 months and the month I was disputing wasn’t one of them. (reports only show one). I wrote the credit bureaus again about the negative mark and sent them the message from Ally stating the month in question wasn’t late and a copy of the date which the payment was made showing that it was within 30 days. What confuses me is that the account in question is a joint account so both of us should have the same reporting, which it’s not. I also gave a copy of credit reports from both of us showing this and the credit bureau still did nothing. If this sounds confusing to the reader, its because it is! The good thing is that during the pandemic I was given forbearance and didn’t accrue late fees. I just wish they would report accurately.

Nonya Business Kyle, TX

TERRIBLE! I've been waiting almost a MONTH for a response from them on buying out my lease. I've sent 4 messages with ZERO response. Worst company EVER.

ryan alexander Dunkirk, NY

If I could leave a 0 star review I would 1 star is a gift. Do not use ally Auto loans. Especially for a lease they keep you from being able to sell your lease with an unrealistic buyout anmount to lock you in for the full term. Kinda a crappy practice if you ask me

Diane McGill Fultondale, AL

I would send advance payments to keep my account ahead of payments due. Ally would send them back! My due date was the 4th of the month. Once, I happened to pay on the 5th and they charged me a late fee! Supposed to be a 10 day grace period for payments! The day the payment is due, they start burning up your phone. I sent a payment that was paid on the due date, my phone still got calls that payment is due. This company will keep you on your toes keeping up with their mistakes!

Tom White

I paid my vehicle off in full and since they lost the title they expect me to pay 50$ to get it. One representative From ally told me they have sent the original title, one representative told me they have sent a original title and one copy, and one representative told me the original was lost and blamed the post office but I received every bill no problem and paid on time every month.I am in dire need of my title to purchase another vehicle and can’t afford the 50$ to get what should have been sent? I held up to my end of the deal???

Ivana Marrero FL

Awful experience! Payed off my car and never got my car title. When I called they informe me I had accumulated interest which were not even visible in my account and they kept raising my interest rate percentage without informing me. All they had to say was that the interest amount wasn’t visible in my account system but that I had to pay the amount to get my title.

Tressa Stekar Billings, MT

My vehicle should have been paid off on 6/7/21 when the dealership sent in the check for the payoff of my car. The payment was applied on 6/8 and then was reversed on 6/17. I have tried to call every day to get it resolved since 6/8 and I can't get it fixed. Now my loan is showing late as of 6/15 and will mess up my credit. I have asked this entire time to speak with a supervisor and have yet to get one to call me back as of today 7/15/21. This company is a joke and I cannot believe they can get away with treating people like this. They are messing up my credit that I worked so hard to build.

Robert Smith Silver Spring, MD

Ally is one of the worst finance companies I have ever dealt with. Different person everything and they say they will help but noone helps. Had high credit score then tried to get their automatic payment system set up and they missed multiple payments. Spoke to reps and said they would fix, and nothing done about it. Now credit score just took another hit because they cannot withdraw money a stated and set up.

milisse vera FL

Horrible customer service. I would give them a negative, if I could! Been trying to get a payoff amount for my lease and they have the worst rules that can’t provide me with that information. The information they give me is the opposite of what the dealer that was suppose to buy the car was receiving. Every rep follows different directions and nothing is clear. Worst car financing company that I’ve ever dealt with, ever! Will never use them again!

John Page Pembroke, ME

These people are complete thieves. We got a pay off quote of 34,000 and sent that amount to pay off loan. The payoff quote was April 9th 2021 and good for 10 days. We sent full amount 6 10 21. They took until; the June 28th to process payment and claimed we owed them 1100 more. DO NOT FINANCE THRU THEM. THEY COULDN'T EVEN EXPLAIN WHY WE OWED THEM 1100 MORE.

B L Flint, MI

I got an auto loan from Ally back in April 2017, and I missed one payment back in Jan 2018, and made it up in the next month by paying for January and February plus the late fee for January and February even though my payment was on time that month. So I was already back to being current, but they never set me to caught up, so they added another late fee from January onto my total hoping I wouldn't notice. And every month since January 2018 they hadn't told me I was behind(cause I wasn't) or that I was accruing late fees they just added it to my balance hoping I didn't do the math, even if I wasn't late, and if I was late I had to pay a late fees, then they also added another to my total. Now I just noticed because the last few months I fell behind and I finally paid them 1058 dollars, and only around 500 was taken from total, so it was pretty easy to see something wasn't right. They've been blindly adding late fees to my total after every payment for 2 and a half years, even if I wasn't late, and if I was late I pay a late fee and get one added on. In my opinion Ally Financial is a criminal organization, since they steal from their customers.

Cynthia Sanders Windsor Mill, MD

My experience with Ally auto was very stressful. I financed with Ally for a new car loan a Nissan Kicks 2020. Due to hardship I got behind in payments early in my loan. The company called me everyday 7 times a day from different numbers. I would still send them something every week for payment. I spoke with a rep that called me at 8:05am on a Saturday morning I explained to them my situation was a hardship I got behind on my payments, I asked about extension to customer that have a hardship. I was told that your car loan is to new to receive any extension you must pay 6 months on time to qualify for extension. So basically you have a hardship with Ally they will not help you at all. The rep continued to ask personal questions can you change your date form the 20th to the 10th to make your payment. I don't think they understand hardship or pandemic. Ally will contact members of your family who are not co-signers on the loan and harass them regards payment. I tried to setup payment arrangements with them for another week out, the rep stated we can not make notes in the account that far out you can call back next week. The reps have no compassion or support on what your situation maybe or why you are behind in payment. The reviews are right most reps are very rude, disrespectful and unprofessional. After receiving the harassment phone calls 7 days a week 7 times a day, harass my family, the repossession letters, I was unable to make arrangements with Ally the balance was extremely high with late fee's. I decided to surrender the car due to my hardship Ally was unable to understand. If you are need to finance please find someone else I financed with wonderful companies in the past and never had this experience. After my experience financing with Ally I will never finance another auto loan. There should be a class action lawsuit against this company.

Gary Lazroff Bay Village, OH

I honestly believe that Ally Financial trains their service reps on how to be rude, unprofessional and disrespectful. I talked to 6 different reps over 3 days seeking information on how to buy the loan out on my Jeep. I was on hold for long periods, disconnected, or transfer to reps that were clueless. I explained to one rep how frustrated I was and she said , “ I am really not interested in hearing about your problems”. WOW. I talked to a supervisor (I think) and she had another call. She promised to call me back in 30 minutes. I called that extension back the next day and asked for her by name. Of course no one worked there by that name. I called my Jeep dealer of 30 years and told him I would never buy another Jeep thru him because they use Ally!!

Robert Aultman Tallahassee, FL

The best thing that they did was give me the loan for my car The Worst thing that I did was get on their bad side! I asked for a paid in full letter after I made a settlement payment. The company stated that it would take 10 days for the account to clear before the letter would be generated. Well I waited until the 11th day and called them back to request the letter. They then told me that they had to request that letter and it would take another 24 to 48 hours for the paid in full letter to be done. I called back in the 48 hour range only to find out that the letter was never requested by the first person that I spoke to. I am not sure what the deal is with this. I have requested that the letter be generated and sent to me same day after being given the run around about the letter. They lied to me at the beginning in the request and now I have been promised a bill of goods and I am so glad to be away from these con artists

Alexis Kniffin Hackettstown, NJ

I wish I could give negative stars. They just repossessed my car in the middle of the night even though I paid yesterday the amount they said would satisfy the repo. But because I paid it “after hours” they said they couldn’t stop the repo. So they can take my money after hours but not stop a repo after hours. Makes sense right? Now today they are demanding the entire loan balance of $10k in order to release the car. I will go buy a beater before I give them another penny. Scumbags. All this during a global pandemic, and I had spoken to them several times letting them know I was facing some hardship as a single mother. I hope every person working for this dumpster fire of a company sleeps well at night with what they do to people. This was originally a $3k loan that they managed to give me rates making me pay over 4x the amount. And there was a hidden clause saying I was not allowed to pay it off early which I had no idea about when I signed the papers. Like many others have said, wish I had read their reviews. Someone needs to take these predators down, they prey on people like me with no or bad credit desperate for a vehicle and unable to get financing anywhere else and don’t have savings. Disgusting company.

Faith R. Providence, RI

I will NEVER use Ally again and I will continue to steer people away from them. They are a greedy, lying company. In the middle of the pandemic last year, I requested to defer my car payment for 2 months. We agreed payments would be deferred and would be due again 7/31/20. I paid that a couple weeks early. Got a call from them saying I was two months late! They lied and said they never talked to me and couldn’t do anything because it wasn’t their fault. They reported it to my credit for being 2 months late in a critical time in life when they’re supposed to be "helping". I have never, never missed a car payment in my life! They are liars and they will screw you over. Stay away from them!

123abc Omaha, NE

They have the title to my car and they have my money. I paid for my vehicle, have proof that they took my check, but they claim they dont know where the check is and won’t give me the title.

Michael Lamb Chicago, IL

Ally is the worst financial place for a auto loan would go with a loan shark before this crappy auto loan financing... this is America please get people you can understand when speaking to someone about your loan.. on the phone wait time is horrible...ally says they care about you, complete lie...NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!

Gloria Chambers Columbia, MO

I am getting an Attorney involved to Sue Ally, the Consumers need to file a Class Action Lawsuit. The Complaints are not making it to the Management Team, and if they are the Escalations are not being remediated/resolved. This Business is Unethical. I will be Mailing Evidence of my Complaint and I guarantee it is very Valid!!!!!!!!

Robert Bowen Elgin, OK

I paid my vehicle off and wanted a lien release and it has taken more than 3 weeks to receive it. customer service representatives have no answers. They have lied to me 7 times, they told me they would email me a copy of my loan records and I have nothing. WORSE BANK EVER.

Shawnta Davis Fort Worth, TX

The are very unethical with their reporting and business practices. After reviving a payment the report late payments and a delinquent account which dropped my score by 60 points. Then they sent a letter after I called them about it, with an April date but wasn’t sent until late May and received June 1. I just mailed a complaint with the BBB next is the FTC

Jeff Williams Brighton, CO

Ally Auto is the worst. Every time you call, you get someone who you can barely understand because of the broken English. They won’t work with me to get my payments lowered and refuse to refinance my truck. Luckily I found a credit Union to refinance my truck and I will not be using Ally anymore. Horrible horrible company. I’m not sure how they can sleep at night knowing they screw people over on an hourly basis. Not to mention, I just read that they did have a lawsuit filed against them for hidden fees. They are thieves. And they’re not even a company in the US.

Chris Henderson Dimondale, MI

I would never use Ally Auto for an auto loan ever again in my life, and would strongly recommend no one else use them for financing. They make it absolutely impossible to pay off your loan early and get an electronic lien release. I keep getting conflicting information, and outright wrong info, from their customer service reps. I overnighted a cashier's check for the balance on my loan a week ago and it still has not been applied to my account. I'm paying interest and insurance on the car that I want to sell because Ally can't be bothered to do their job in any kind of efficient way. Never again. STAY AWAY from this company.

Catrina Wittekind Snowflake, AZ

Ally Financial Auto is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. The customer service representative, with a few exceptions, are the worst. They lie and are very rude. When you ask to speak to a supervisor or manager they refuse to help you and tell you no one is available. I told them to have a manager call me back my the end of the next business day. No cal back and same issues continue. They are predatory and should not be allowed to continue business. Continually hit you for late charges even though the payment was made and in on time. Not only have they hit my credit once but twice a month on two consecutive days on multi occasions! So frustrated.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

Ally auto app allows for easy payments. However, the customer service could be better. I totaled my car and was unable to lower my payments, however if it wasn't totaled i would have been able to. I don't understand why this is a policy.