Ally Auto Logo

3.6

LAST UPDATED: January 21st, 2023
Ally Auto has been helping people secure auto financing for almost 100 years. The company has more than 7,000 employees, 17,000 dealers, and 4 million customers across the United States.

America First Logo
#1 America First chevron_right
Mountain America Logo
#2 Mountain America chevron_right
USAA Logo
#3 USAA chevron_right
4.1

The Good

• Buyer's Choice program
  • Ally Balloon Advantage program
  • Retail finance and SmartLease options
  • Vehicle protection products available

Buyer's Choice Program

Ally Auto's Buyer's Choice program combines the best of buying and leasing. The term length is determined based on the customer's vehicle selection and transaction. This program includes a special prepayment date; at 48 months into the contract, the customer can either prepay by selling the vehicle to Ally at the predetermined price set at signing (some stipulations apply) or do nothing and keep making the scheduled payments. This program also allows you to trade-in your vehicle at any time. The Buyer's Choice program is only available for eligible GM, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi brand vehicles. This program is not available in Nevada.

Ally Balloon Advantage Program

The Ally Balloon Advantage program works by taking a larger portion of your payment and attaching it to the end of the contract. This helps keep your monthly payments low. However, this program still has the same aspects of a traditional loan, including fixed APRs and monthly payments throughout the contract term. Additionally, you can sell or trade-in your vehicle at any time, as long as you pay off the remaining amount when you do. With the Balloon Advantage program, you can buy new GM, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi vehicles and all used vehicles except for Saab and Suzuki. This program is not available in Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, or Pennsylvania.

Retail Finance and SmartLease Options

Ally Auto offers both financing and leasing options. The company's SmartLease program allows customers to lease new or pre-owned vehicles through eligible dealers. However, it's only available for select models, but the website doesn't specify which models, so you'll have to contact the company for more information if this is something you are interested in.

Vehicle Protection Products Available

Ally Auto provides a variety of vehicle protection products, including maintenance contracts, theft protection, and tire and wheel coverage.

The Bad

• Acceptable credit ranges not defined
  • Rates and terms not disclosed

Loan Amounts Not Defined

Unfortunately, the Ally Auto website does not mention minimum or maximum loan amounts, so it's unclear how much you can borrow for an auto loan.

Rates and Terms Not Disclosed

Ally Auto has not disclosed interest rates or terms on its corporate website, leaving potential customers unsure of what to expect. Although these factors typically vary from case to case, it would be nice if the company provided a general range to give individuals an idea of whether or not the company will fit their needs.

The Bottom Line

Ally Auto offers a number of auto loan options, including its Buyer's Choice program, its Ally Balloon Advantage program, its retail finance programs, and its SmartLease program. Each of these programs provide unique features that benefit different individuals and their needs. However, Ally Auto has not disclosed loan amounts, interest rates, or terms on its corporate website, leaving potential customers to wonder whether or not Ally Auto is the right car loan company for them.

1.5

Linda Parker Burkburnett, TX

If you are the CO signer you have 0 rights but all the debt. Customer service gives you 1 800 BS phone numbers to non existent loss mitigation departments for a flooded out vehicle that you merely co signed for that's been a loss for over a year and in ditch lord knows where from a flood. But,, you can only pay to get them to stop harrassing you!!! When you get collection calls they and ask for. Account Access,, they don't allow you access to a database that is registered to the actual driver you co-signed for - absentee driver - dead vehicle - you keep payInc and paying, But Zero Rights with Zero Access and bi-Monthly trumped up Late Fees every other month. Such crooks and criminals! There needs to be a law that forces ALL OWNERS ACCESS TO ACCOUNT AT ALL TIMES!!

Felicia “CrimsonCutie” Prentice Tuscaloosa, AL

Zero stars. I had to select one in order to submit my review. My credit union mailed the payoff of my vehicle on 12/16/22, today is 1/17/23 and Ally is saying that they did not receive the check even though I have a copy of the check that clearly shows it has been cashed. Each time I speak with someone, I’m told they will investigate and provide me with a reference number. That reference number is not worth the paper I wrote it on because when I give them the number, they are still oblivious to what the number is referencing. Just like all of the other reviews, stay away from this company because something fraudulent is going on with them. I’m going to let the Credit Union lawyers handle this so they can find out where the funds are that was sent to them.

JAMES TOTH Houston, TX

Customer service non existent. Hang up on you the minute they get a chance. I'm behind on payment and tried on SEVERAL occasions to work out payment plan to no avail. Car is disabled and spending all the cash I have to get it fixed. Oh and by the way, even if you do manage to talk to someone who doesn't hang up on you, they never enter the info on their data base and constantly harass you every chance they get. I can understand why they don't have any office's, they'd be full of angry clients. Threatening to repo unless I give them money right NOW. Going to have my mechanic put all the parts in the front seat and tell them to come and get it. In the future I'd rather siphon gas from a burning car than have to deal with them ever again

Robert Lee Lawrenceville, GA

I'm really surprised by all the negative reviews I see. My situation was the exact opposite. I just recently paid off my second car loan with Ally and had zero issues with them. I had my clear title back from the state within two weeks after Ally electronically sent it to them. I will admit, I never had any contacts with their customer service except via email and that went fine. Mine was a pretty simple process. I did my part by making my payment every month on time and they did their part by crediting it to my account and continuing to let me keep my car. The website was very user friendly to me. It allowed me to pay extra and apply it to my principal resulting in me paying it off earlier. They also don't have any prepayment penalty if you pay off your car early. It's more common than you think. They also gave me a great rate. I can only comment on my experience but it seems that a lot of the negative reviews were due to customers own issues not the banks. If you make your payment late every month, your going to incur late fees and possible hits to your credit report. The fees are not going to go away. You have to pay them at some point to satisfy your loan.

Cecilia Robinson Round Rock, TX

I have also experience the same problem for the past two months, Ally will not let me pay my car note on line, on the phone or even with their third party. I too as a long time customer for 2 1/2 yrs. Have been wrongly done, I also just got my refund back as of 11/18/22 trying to make a payment thru Western Union on 10/15/22.. It took a month exactly to get my refund back. I am truly exhausted with this company, so at this time I don't trust sending my money thru anyone. So please Ally since you have done me and a few of your customers wrong. Tell me how do this company is going to resolve this problem that we all have. Because at this time my car is considered 2 months late and pretty soon this company will try to repossess my car, but that you will not do when I tried paying my note several times to get it current I truly feel that something is not right. That being said every time I call and say I will be calling corporate, the person from Ally customer service representative acts like they can't hear me & then say hello & hang up. This is sad that it has gotten to this point. As soon as I can get someone to take my payments I will be looking for another finance company to take my loan, I truly have had enough of the disappointment and stress with this company.

Igor V Rahway, NJ

LOVE ALLY. RIGHT NOW HAVE A BUSINESS AUTO LOAN WITH THEM AND THE WAY IT WASS APPROVED, HANDLED AND DONE 5 STARS ONE OF THE BEST MULTY TEARS BANK, HELPS MANY PEOPLE WITH GOOD AND NOT SO GOOD CREDIT IM SURE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAINS HERE, JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPEAK OR PAY TO THIS GREAT LENDER

Susan Jasperson Portland, OR

They do not deserve 1 star. They don't care about their customers when they in financal difficulties and they ask to work with them and postpone payments and add it to the end of the loan. They flat out said no. After numerous times I talked and emailed them, they still don't want to work with you. They would rather repo your car and destroy your credit. This is the first time I dealt with this company. All the other companies that I deal with in this financial hardship, Ally is the ONLY one that WILL NOT WORK WITH YOU. This is the first time in my life and they want to ruin my credit.

Rob Henson LaFayette, GA

Ally Auto Financial I have been making principal payments to my auto loan thru Ally Auto, as I am paid up 4 months in advance on my payments. Their system will no longer allow me to enter my auto loan page. I can go in and open a checking account with them, and do anything else on their website, EXCEPT view my auto page to make payments. I did download the phone app, and there WAS an option to make a principal payment, but that disappeared after I used it once! I am directed to enter an amount, then submit payment, but again NO option as to where the $$$ should go ANYMORE. I have no access to my auto loan page on the web. I have tried all 3 main browsers, cleaned my cache, I work online, and know all things to do. I have called them 4 times, and all I got in reply "we will pass the ticket up, try in a few days." When I sign in to my auto loan page I can see 2009-Ally Financial Inc Feedback Ally Community Security Privacy Legal headers all on a gray page with a spinning wheel. I will leave it for hours and the page does not change. If I try after midnight I do get their System Update 12-3 am notice!! This all looks intentional to me!! Does anyone else have this issue?

heidi m johnson Mt. Pleasant, SC

I have nothing but good to say about Ally Auto. I was leasing from Chrysler Capital I turned in a perfect car and had trouble after words. I got a new car leasing from Ally , what a big difference. Ally was up front they gave a hand full of information on what to expect from them and info about when it's time to turn the car in. I got emails as well. Ally explains clearly about the miles what they charge, and dents, or damage. Very detailed information about what to do and how to care, also their webpage is easy to use, a person can turn off their payments when needed, you can email asking info for a buyout. Nothing shady happened like Chrysler Capital. I bought my car 2019 Jeep. I didn't get stuck with any surprise bills. I highly recommend Ally Auto. I will definitely use them again in the future and recommend them to family or friends. I learned from my experience from my other bank so I was skittish!

EpiclyAwesomePRUSSIA

Honestly i would leave no stars if i could. Ive had a loan through ally finincal for nearly 3 years and now that i am a single payment behind they are threatening to repo my car constatnly calling me and my wife during random times of the day on top of call my family members and old roommate that i havent talked to in years. Its illegal and harrasment. I cant wait to get away from them. I would pay my bill and it would show the money gone from my back but they wouldnt process it for another two weeks and flag my account as late. Its like they are trying to make your credit score worse so you cant get away from them i hope they go bankrupt.

Ashley Porter San Antonio, TX

Ally Auto has definitely been the worst banking experience I have ever had in my life. It had been a total nightmare. The customer service representatives do not know how to assist me and often transfer me to a random extension or just tell me they are not able to assist me. I happened to total my vehicle in the small window that I did not have insurance coverage because of this I am having to pay for everything out of pocket. Ally’s customer service informed me that there is no way Ally can help me because I did not have insurance at the time the accident occurred. All I was requesting was documents pertaining to my account like the payment history so that I could file a claim my self for my gap insurance and I was not able to get assistance with receiving documents at all. I was directed to the total loss department where they told me they could not help me either because I didn’t have insurance and they informed me that they were not able to lower my payments either or extend out my loan like many other banks offer. Point being Ally does not care at all about their customers or value customer service. I would not recommend them at all and I will refuse to ever have another loan with them in the future!!! Please tell your loan officer to find you another loan provider!

Mollye Barrett Palmetto, FL

Ally Auto does not care about customers affected by Hurricane Ian!! I never comment on a company like this, but I’m absolutely outraged with this company…I was affected by Hurricane Ian and contacted them to let them know I needed to have a one-month extension…Just ONE month!! I was told that everything would be fine and there was no problem. ( My account is always in good standing) One week later I started receiving texts that I was late with my payment. I continuously called every number listed for Ally Auto and would go through all the steps to reach someone but as soon as I went through all the steps it would beep then hang up on me. Finally reach someone and then they said they had to put me on hold for a moment then…THEY HUNG UP AGAIN! Seriously called over 20 time within a week. (Have screenshots for proof) Then they called me since they said I had not paid my payment. The lady says they never made a note that my payment had been moved!! By this time, I already scheduled my next payment because again I only needed one month, and she told me that payment would be for the month I missed so I would still be behind and needed to pay more!! If not, I would continue to be behind which I NEVER have been before! I spent an hour on the phone with her while she was trying to work out how to fix the issue since a HURRICANE and a bad employee is not something that is my fault, and I cannot spend extra money during the holidays on a car payment! Why is it so hard to move a good customer’s payment to the end of their term? She could not get her supervisor so she promised me that they would call me back by the end of the day. I was very kind and the lady kept apologizing for the issue which obviously not her fault. I told her this has been beyond stressful so I was worried that I would still not get a call. She promised over and over that they care, they would work to move the payment, and I would receive a call back for sure….I did not get any call from anyone from Ally! I cannot believe that a company could literally lie to someone like this. Its absolutely disgusting and I would have never gone through ALLY if I had known…I still cannot get through…Shocking I know. BE WARNED THEY LIE AND DO NOT CARE!

D Fort Worth, TX

No payment assistance and questionable practices. I noticed that each time I made a payment through the app, they posted it to wrong account. I tried twice, same thing. I had to go through desktop site to post to right account.

Robert Blain Glenolden, PA

I tried to trade my Ally leased Jeep in early I was told my Pay off was $39K but If I trade it in the dealer would have to pay $46k. When asked why the difference I was told they would sell the Jeep to the dealer for fair market value. I've had a lease before with Chrysler Capitol and they never did that. Very deceptive ! Never again!

Brittany Miller MI

Ally auto finance is the worst experience I have ever had in my life! They offer no hardship assistance and do not follow their policies! There is no one to call and speak with for help! my car was repossessed and they did not follow their repossession policy. I have been trying to speak with someone and no one is able to help me! I have been trying to pay the past due balance and no one has been able to help me! I ask to file a complaint and they tell me I have to mail it in!

Keith Shumberger

Customer service is almost non existent. When they call you it's an automated message saying no reps are available. This repeats itself for about 30 seconds and finishes with no reps are available please call back later. Your left wondering why they called to start with. Calling them back is just about as bad. After going through their automated menus you're prompted to press 0 for a representative. At that time, you get a busy signal and the call hangs up. It takes weeks to talk to a real person.

Jonathan San Diego, CA

I've been on the phone with Ally Auto for an hour and a half, being sent to their 3rd party on the phone payment then waiting for someone who can help give them my information 5-10min process, then she informs me my account was blocked. Oh, I'm being moved again; another 5 minutes of waiting to go through the information check. Then I ended the call because the audio was awful after being transferred numerous times. Finally, after several calls, I finally got a clear answer as to why my account was blocked, then he informs me that an account manager is already looking into my account, I got transferred to her, and her audio is already awful enough to hear, she tells me nothing, and she tells me to end the call. So overall I do not recommend getting an auto loan from them. 1/10

Josie Nolasco Panorama City, CA

ALLY AUTO Is a big RIP OFF never use this company for GAP INSURANCRE!! In 2018 we purchased a vehicle with a 7 year auto loan which included GAP insurance with ALLY AUTO we paid off our car loan 3 years early. We Submitted a pay off letter to ALLY AUTO which handled out GAP INSURANCE and we requested a pro-rated refund. We received a letter stating we used up the cost of our GAP insurance because they pro-rate by USAGE not per month unlike other GAP insurance who pro-rate per month . BEWARE ALLY prorates per percentage which results in 100% of your coverage being used the first 2 years of your contract & with no money being returned if cancelled. God forbid you get an accident & you think you are covered you will NOT be covered after 2 years of coverage per the scale calculation they use.. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! When buying GAP insurance make sure who you are signing with.. DO NOT get ALLY AUTO!!!!!! Again NEVER NEVER use ALLY AUTO FOR GAP... INSURANCE!!!!

Jayvaun Brannon Colorado Springs, CO

Ally forced me to make a payment through money gram at Walmart , which I did. Apparently the lady at Walmart sent it to check free instead , and it took ally 2 weeks to notice. I called about 5 different times during the two weeks and was told 3 different supervisors would be in contact and I never received a thing. I called check free for a refund and they told me ally accepted the money but for some reason it didn’t post to my account even though the account number was correct. So I called ally and they told me I needed to go through Walmart for a refund when Walmart just told me ally needed to reject the payment. So ally completely accepted my payment, held it from my account, and are now threatening repossession after I made the payment in plenty of time. The lady on the phone said they could repo my car any day even though I’m literally waiting for them to refund the money. If you know what’s good for you please do not buy from ally. They scammed me out of my money and now they’re gonna scam me into paying late fees when I made the payment on time.

Jermain Anderson Columbus, OH

I purchased a Pontiac Vibe from Jeff Wyler somewhere between 2000-2004, and will never forget the nightmare that I experienced. The car was financed through GMAC Financial who became bankrupt. I believe GM Financial took over, or GMAC was later bailed out by Ally Financial. It also appears as ruthless as GMAC was, they had the nerve to apply for a government bailout, The way they repossessed and ruined customers credit, they applied for some government act, around 2006 or 2007. I purchased my Pontiac Vibe for $19,000 and paid off $16,000. I ran into some financial difficulty owing a balance of $3000, and had difficulty making payments. GMAC didn't have any compassion for me nor was I offered a bailout. I began receiving harassing calls from GMAC's collection department. The representative called me everyday, never offering payment arrangements . She was rude. Then, one day, I went outside to go on an errand, and my Pontiac Vibe was gone. It had been repossessed and taken to an impound lot. I was so hurt because I didn't have the money to get the car out of pound. I had paid $16,000, with a balance of $3000. My phone had been disconnected and the representative thought that I deliberately got a new phone number to avoid the harassing phone calls. I realized that, when I called and told her my phone was off. She basically, said oops. I was out of a vehicle for a while. It was tough, standing in the cold rain, with my 3 year old son, at the bus stop, who was crying because he was cold and getting wet. Since that time, I have had other vehicles. I later purchased 2 other vehicles from Jeff Wyler. A very courteous and friendly car salesman at Jeff Wyler helped me to get a car. There was a black manager that appeared to only help white customers that had filed bankruptcy to purchase a car. The black salesman who assisted me, didn't give up, until I left the dealership with a new car. My son purchased a motorcycle. It wasn't the car that I wanted, but I did leave with a new car. I never got a chance to write a review for GMAC. My review would have been 1 star. It appears, this company was in repossess mode the closer you get to paying the car off. Being that it happened so long ago, if I misstated any facts, I stand to be corrected. But what I know to be true is that I almost paid the car off.

Michael Joseph Irvine, CA

Absolutely terrible auto finance bank. Stay away if you are looking to buy a car with this bank. I wanted to try to pay down our car faster and the amount of "finance charges" not "interest charges" on principal-only payments is ridiculous. They make it super difficult to make extra payments and was given misinformation on multiple occasions. Its all hidden in your contract so dont be like us and actually read through the finance details of your contract. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

Tim Mack Piscataway, NJ

Hands down, the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. I am 61 years old, I've dealt with scores of companies of my lifetime. In my opinion Ally financial is little more than a scam company. Blocking people out of their online payment, giving temporary sign-ins to get back in that don't work, repeatedly. Or ask for two years to get a statement, numerous times, they never complied. I finally had enough of ally, went to my back and attempt to pay off the loan. I asked them for her loan payoff statement, they told me they can't send it via mail, or email and had to fax it. For 3 months, this one on My bank never received anything from them. Trying to get in touch with them, is an exercise in futility.

Richard Anderson Tucson, AZ

I paid Ally Auto Finance $33,546.00 on 08/02/22. After hearing nothing from them in two weeks I called them. I was informed that they cancelled the check and when asked why they did not know. So it took me two weeks to get another check issued and too them. Then they cashed the check and marked my 2020 GMC Canyon as a Total Loss. They did this without even notifying me. So now I had to get a letter from my insurance company stating there have been no claims on the vehicle. Ally will not return my $1400.00 over payment nor a lien release until this issue has been resolved. All this because some idiot screwed up. They tell me it will take up to three weeks to process and correct the issue. I will never go through this institution again, ever. They are the worst financial institution that I’ve ever dealt with in the last 50 years. Next time I will go back to Capital One for a auto loan. I’ve had two loans from Capital One with Zero problems. I warn everyone out there, do not use Ally Auto Finance. You will regret it if you do.

Toni Buchanan Kansas City, MO

They are HORRIBLE! Our loan was paid off on 7/3/2022 and we had over $2900 in cancellation that are supposed to be coming to us. We have spoke to them numerous times, including the first time to do our change of address, because we have moved. They told us that they have 55 days to return the refund. We are on day 72, still no refund. I spent 1 hour and 32 minutes on the phone with them yesterday and 4 different people ( whom I couldn’t understand) and to only get a reference number and to be told 7-10 more days. Oh yea, address never got changed. I will walk before I ever finance a vehicle through Ally again.

Lisa Damico Denver, CO

Ally’s automated service is the most irritating system I’ve ever had to deal with. The repeated saying “ all of our agents are busy pleases hold on the line “ gets very old when holding on the line for 20 mins. They must say the same thing over and over at least 60 times in 60 seconds. The online app is totally ridiculous. I changed my bank info way before my payment was due and now it’s like it never went through and I’m 11 days late . Trying to get someone on the line to talk to is impossible . What they don’t understand is some people don’t have the time or patience to wait 30-60 mins on hold. I’m now looking to refinance with another company.

Terry E Morgan Biloxi, MS

Never missed a payment in 9 yrs. $1400 owed on last car (started at $11,000+). Car was stolen and recovered by Police who took it to impound lot. Insurance decided to fix car. Ally received 2 notices of impound from impound company. They decided note was not worth getting car out and wrote off the balance of note. We were still making payments yet my credit score went from 838 to 623. Never notified by Ally of what they were doing. Paid loan off but Ally refuses to fix the error on my credit report. Said I have to live with the score for 7 yrs. Do not have anything to do with Ally. They do not care about customer only getting money. Worst Bank ever!

L C Ballston Spa, NY

I recently had a frustrating experience with Ally Auto and had left negative reviews however, I received a phone call from Sara, an Account Executive for the Customer Relations Dept at Ally Auto. She has been with the company for a long time and we had an extremely pleasant conversation. She was patient, empathetic, compassionate, kind, and asked me to give her time to look into my situation. A few days later, my issue was resolved and she was able to fix the problem. I went back and erased my bad review, and decided to leave one dedicated to her. She is an incredible asset to the company, and if anyone has any problems - try to reach out to her for help. She may be able to do something.

Jamie Pensgard Atlantic, IA

I financed my vehicle in May 2020 through Ally. Made my online payments 100 percent on time, never had a single issue. Paid off my vehicle June 2021. It took two weeks (with pandemic I wasn't worried) but Ally sent me my title and now I'm on my way to registering my vehicle in my name. I worried about all these negative reviews but I seriously had zero issues with Ally, so there is hope if you're reading through all the negatives worrying like I was!

foo foo Vincentown, NJ

If there was a zero star I would have chose it. I’m in a DV situation since May 2022 and when I called them to explain more recently they all refused me to speak with a supervisor and told me they will still collect late fees until I pay.

Robert Doncaster Dayton, OH

My wife passed away in February. She had a loan through Ally Auto and the car was repossessed. The car was fully paid off so I could get it back. Here it is the end of September and Imcan not get them to send me the title or a release of lien so I can get the car in my name. They transfer me to different people or departmentsto no avail. Plates will expire soon and I’ll have a car I can’t or shouldn’t drive. I spent 3 hours on the phone with them today and my house ran out of juice waiting on them. Do not use Ally aAuto

Babsie Southampton, NY

I have been trying to use the phone number to make a payment for weeks. I get through the prompts and them get a message that the “number dialed is not in service.” This is for Ally Bank (Ally Direct) but you call Ally Bank and they transfer you right back to the bad queue! Unbelievable! Then I get a letter that my payments are in default! UGH!

Kevin Gregoire Charlotte, NC

This is the WORST COMPANY To do business with PLEASE if you’re considering working with the disgraceful institution reconsider!! The worst customer service, none of their employees speak clear enough english to even comprehend what you’re trying to say!! I’m the most patient person and they have managed to bring me to my boiling point to say the least. I advise everyone that has common sense to stay AWAY from this company and do not attempt to do any business wether it is an auto loan or banking STAY AWAY!!!

Vanity page Vanity page Charlotte, NC

Ally is the worst company I've ever dealt with when it comes to a auto loan. The customer service is horrible and they dinged my credit twice in 30 days that a rep in a higher department told me they would credit my account because it took Ally 6 months to fix my account so I could pay online without paying extra $4 each month over the phone but the rep never did so Ally reported to my credit report. I've called that rep twice in 2 months left messages nothing. My credit dropped 165 points in one month 😈😈😈 I hope they shut Ally down!!!

Carolyn Nunez Santa Fe, NM

Ally financial is the worst company that I have ever had a loan with. My vehicle was totaled. The insurance paid for the vehicle. Ally said they didn't receive the money. The insurance company said they did. Ally couldn't tell either myself or the insurance company what account the money went to. They turned me into collections. I will never get a loan with them again. Their customer service doesn't speak very good English and you can barely hear them.

Hayley Miller Bennington, NE

If you can get any other finance company for your car, do it!! I WILL NOT EVER recommend Ally Financial to anyone!!! They have an overnight payoff address yet they re-route your payoff check to another address (10 days at least), another 10 days to clear your check, then at least 10 days to process your title. Over a month to receive a title. But they will sure hound you for your car payment. Every single person with customer service can barely speak english and they just repeat themselves. I won't be surprised if someone gets a lawsuit against these people. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE!!!!! STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE

Brea DeDeaux Titusville, FL

I hate this company. You could not get any worse if you prayed to God to bless you with worse. I called this morning about a letter threatening to repo my car and I just kept getting hung up on. I have the app and sent them a message no reply. I’ve been trying to pay on my car note and they charged me $146 late fee in May. About $160 in June and a $177 late fee in July. They are no help and intentionally drowning you in debt. I pray they go out of business. They prey on the vulnerable and then make you out to be the bad guy. I’m leaving bad reviews everywhere I can! Beware! Run away! DO NOT GO WITH ALLY!

S G Anoka, MN

Wow after reading all of the horrible reviews at this point I don’t even think it matters what I write, maybe Sara will rescue me (who was mentioned in a past review) but I will still share my experience. If there was a 0 rating that would be my choice of a rating. I called in two weeks ago to get help on an extension due to the loss of a family member. I had to travel out of state and everyone knows right now gas and all other expenses are high. I was told to call back or wait on a letter with the status. I have been trying to reach Ally since, but they are closed each time I call. So today is Saturday, it’s been two weeks not sure what the status is. I get up early to catch them. I’m on the phone at 8am to be left on hold for 40 minutes by the rep. She came back on and says she will need to transfer me to another department. I shared my concern about being left on hold for so long and she stuttered an excuse of course. I get transferred to a rep who had very little English to repeat everything again to be transferred! I get on with the new rep not much English so I hung up I’m exhausted at this point! I called back I finally get an English speaking human that tells me to call back Monday to speak to the right department. Like couldn’t they have said that from jump? I am over it and did not realize how horrible of a company this is until I read all of the bad reviews. I definitely need to move around.

Jalen Harrold Niles, MI

A sorry excuse of a company. They are liars, thieves, and will continue to send you around in circles without actually helping you. I hope I never have to talk to another member of this god forsaken bank again or have to even hear about this place. My APR was at 12% so you would think refinancing with a different bank would be easy. They made it the most difficult process ever. Months later I’m still rendering the consequences of using Ally. They are not your Ally. Do not trust them. Do not bank with them. I am so happy to be done with them and have settled for a 3% APR elsewhere. Screw this company and I hope they cease to exist.

DOOM_123 Galaxy Hamburg, PA

My review will sound very familiar to anyone reading this. Please note I was not paid for my review, this is honest and true. I live in Pennsylvania and this is my horror story. On May 23, 2022 I went to the original dealership I leased my 2019 Jeep Cherokee from and asked what my options are, lease is coming to an end. The option chose was to do a buyout, my procovid buyout agreed amount was 15,000 + unpaid payments. The dealership is able to access all of this information. Total buyout was 18877.81 (15k + payments still due). I financed this amount through a financial institution plus paid PA sales tax. Today is 6/25/2022, Ally is now saying I owe 1000k plus late charges. The dealership has not received the title and Ally will not release the title until I pay this bogus amount they came up even after the agree upon buyout was satisfied. To me it appears Ally didn’t disperse or allocate the funds properly, I’m able to check my account online and see where the payment of 18877.81 posted but then this additional bogus amount. At this point, I’m not paying the $1000. They will hold the title indefinitely. End of story.

Amy Smith Fayetteville, AR

Do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT use this company for your auto loan. I paid my vehicle off early and 4 months later, I'm still trying to get my title! After waiting an appropriate amount of time I called inquiring about receiving my title. I was told I should receive it in 7-10 days. Life happened. Realized I had not received it and called again. After a very frustrating conversation with again someone outside of the United States, it was conveyed to me my account was on hold because it was flagged as being in bankruptcy, which it was NOT and had NEVER been!! I was told again my title was coming in 7-10 days. Called at day 7 (no title) asking to speak with someone in the US (the call had been routed to the Philippines this time...the 2 times before it sounded as though it was routed to India). I spoke with Lee, a supervisor (or so I was told) who wasn't able to tell me how my account had been messed up but stated it was being investigated and again said I'd have the title in 7-10 days. I felt with this being my 3rd time of being told the same story, I asked if it could be overnighted. Lee said the best he could do was 24-48 hrs since the title department had already closed. Guess what?! Still no title and now I'm waiting on the title department to call me back! This company stinks! DO NOT USE THEM.

Deisha Jenkins Brussels, BRU

I had a 75 month auto contract with ally which was suppose to end in December 2021. I started calling in November 2021 to find out why the calculator, the count down, and the number of payments on the dash board where all saying different things??? I told them my contract was for 75 months I should not still have 7 payments my contract should end next month. December 2021. They told me that I requested 2 deferments two in 2017 and again in 2020. I told them I have never requested a deferment. Even so I should have 5 payments not 7 and asked them to go over my payment history I have never missed a payment nor have a signed any documents requesting a deferment of my payments. I asked them to send me documentation showing I signed for a deferment. I have never received the documents and called 4 more times still no documents and still paying on a car that should have been paid off 6 months ago. I still can not get a straight answer to why I'm still paying on this car and still waiting on documents showing my deferment and payment history Customer service sucks!!! I feel like I'm being cheated with no one at the company trying to help me.

Delshawn Tuitt Orlando, FL

Ally financial is the most terrible auto industry that I know. I requested information that they stated they can only send me through fax not email and they sent me twice a different person document. That breaks all hipaa violation because now I know this person's account number, what drive, where they live etc.. I waited over an 2 hours for my documents which they said it has been sent but I received that other person's documents again twice.. I explain that I'm afraid of my information being sent to another person because they were sending me someone else documents. This is a very big concern for me. I asked to speak with managers and never spoke with them, asked to speak with someone in legal and again nothing. They provided me the wrong number for legal. I still have the person document. I called again and now they will not give me legal number and they keep hanging up the phone on me.. The disrespect

Sarah N Oakhurst, CA

I used ally twice bought a new car in 2018 paid my loan off in 2019. Bought another new car in 2019 and am working steadily on paying off that car ahead of schedule as well, I'm almost done with this loan and will likely use them next year to buy a truck. My one and only issue with them as I was using their loan to build up my credit, is that it seems they don't report back to the credit bureaus monthly and do so quarterly. Other than that their app and website make it easy to make my payments.

Sunshine Joliet, IL

The issue I have with this company is how they were reporting to the credit bureaus. I made a payment within the 30 days to prevent a negative mark. I noticed they marked me negatively for a month. I wrote them first and told them it was within 30 days. They said it wasn’t. I wrote the credit bureau with the due date and payment date showing it was within the 30 days. I received the the revised report and they removed the negative mark from the month I was disputing, but marked the month before negative. I didn’t think that can happen. So I wrote the company and asked specifically what month I was marked late. I was given 2 months and the month I was disputing wasn’t one of them. (reports only show one). I wrote the credit bureaus again about the negative mark and sent them the message from Ally stating the month in question wasn’t late and a copy of the date which the payment was made showing that it was within 30 days. What confuses me is that the account in question is a joint account so both of us should have the same reporting, which it’s not. I also gave a copy of credit reports from both of us showing this and the credit bureau still did nothing. If this sounds confusing to the reader, its because it is! The good thing is that during the pandemic I was given forbearance and didn’t accrue late fees. I just wish they would report accurately.

Michelle Mobley Norman, OK

I’ve had my auto financed through Ally since October 2017 and have nothing but good things to say about them. They have always been great when I would called and very respectful and helpful. I will be using them for my next vehicle.

Jean Garcia Allentown, PA

I fell back on payments, Enjoli and Amber were pleasant and definitely displayed phenomenal customer service! Give these ladies a raise. Customer service is not an easy job, I definitely felt a sense of relief after speaking with both of them. Thanks again ladies!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I have been with Ally Auto since 2014. And my overall experience with them has been pleasant. Every time I have called in their agents have been friendly and helpful. Their log-in portal on their website is simple and easy to use. However, there is not many features to it- so its main function is simply checking your total. There have been no major issues with them in my 4 years with them. I tried to set up bi-monthly payments and was told I had to fill out paperwork and submit it via mail. After doing that I was informed I couldn't set up bi-monthly payments. Several months later- they set up the feature to do payments online. You still cannot schedule multiple payments in one month, but you can set up your monthly payment online now, which is an essential addition to their website.

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

We've had several car loans over the years with Ally, and we've been grateful for their great customer service, and the way they take care of their customers. They are always polite on the phone, and easy to deal with. If you don't want to call, their website is easy to navigate, and works well to pay your bill, or set up auto pay. They have competitive interest rates and try to help their customers save as much money as possible. I have never had any problems with this company.

Ben Mosley (Whitetail Land Designs) New Iberia, LA

I can’t hear them on the phone, non-American staff that I can’t understand, and a pain to make payments with. They also charge a service fee to make payments. I immediately refinanced with USAA after only a month of being with Ally. I also got a lower interest rate with USAA.

Brandon Adams Las Vegas, NV

Ally Auto will keep acting like your car note is behind and just add late charges and never provide accurate information on how they come up with the charges. When you ask to speak to a manager and have the late charges removed, they never let you speak to anyone. Just keep adding late charges. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!