E-File.com was founded in 2013 and provides affordable tax software that is reportedly up to 50 percent less expensive than some other online preparers. E-File.com provides software to help individuals electronically file both federal and state taxes in a quick and easy way. The company offer three different options for tax filing, including a free service. E-File.com does not sell any of its customer information to third parties, as opposed to many other software providers; its goal is to provide an affordable product without sacrificing a customer's privacy.

The Good

• Plan Options
  • File Quickly
  • Qualified Tax Support
  • Guarantees and Audit Protection

Plan Options

E-File offers three different plans to help with tax filing. The first is a free plan, which includes features to file single or jointly and covers federal taxes. The second plan that E-File offers is the Deluxe Plus E-File, which costs $24.99. This option allows customers to file with dependents and includes mortgage interest and retirement income. The last plan is the Premium Plus E-File, which costs $45.99. Although this option is the most expensive, it includes the most features, such as support for all deductions and coverage for all personal and business income. With each of these plans, customers can also file their state taxes for an additional $25.

File Quickly

Filing taxes can be painful and miserable, E-File's software makes the process quick and easy. In fact, many of the company's customers use the online tax software to file their taxes in less than 15 minutes.

Qualified Tax Support

Filing taxes can be confusing, but E-File online support, which is available to all users, can help answer questions within minutes so that customers don't have to spend hours on the phone with the IRS. Customer support can be accessed by following these steps:

1. Login to your account at https://www.e-file.com/login.php
  2. Once logged in, click the "Help" button in the top right corner of the page
  3. Enter a brief question and click the "Search" button to view a list of articles pertaining to your question
  4. If an answer cannot be found in one of the help articles, click the "Click here" link at the bottom of the help window to issue a support ticket
  5. Enter your message and click the "Submit" button to send it and open up a ticket

Guarantees and Audit Protection

E-File provides a 100 percent accurate calculation guarantee with every purchase. It also provides a maximum refund and lowest price guarantee. Further, E-File provides audit protection, but it is part of the Protection Plus package and therefore costs extra to acquire.

The Bad

Limited Customer Support

The qualified online tax support is a bonus, but the lack of additional customer support is one negative for E-File. It is always helpful when companies offer multiple customer support options to ensure that customers receive the maximum refund and follow up on their taxes. With E-File, customer service is not available via phone, live chat, or social media.

The Bottom Line

There are many things that E-File does well, including it's multiple plan options and free service for tax filing. The company also has an easy-to-use software that makes the filing process quick and simple.

Kristin
May 22nd, 2019 Glendale, AZ DETAILS

This company took my money but never filed my taxes. I have been in touch with them to see why 1) I received an automated email stating my taxes were filed after submitting them on their website and 2) my credit card was charged, yet my account says they were NOT filed now and the government has not received my documents. It's been over a week since I have reached out once realizing their error. They admit that this happened but no one has been in touch with me to say it is resolved or refund my money so that I can pay for someone else to file the paperwork. If you want RELIABLE and a place with QUALITY customer service, DON'T GO HERE. They are not these things.

Jun 18, 2019

Hello Kristen, I am very sorry for the trouble you have had with this. While there was not enough information provided in this post to find you in our system, it sounds like you may have finished preparing your tax return but not completed the steps that the IRS requires to digitally sign your tax return so that we may transmit it electronically. Digitally signing is an IRS requirement, and only required when electronically transmitting a tax return. This is what the IRS uses to help combat taxpayer fraud. I certainly understand that there was some confusion over this and it sounds like our initial response to your inquiry did not clear this up. As such, we would be happy to provide you with a refund as well as assist you further with this filing. Please feel free to email us at [email protected] our domain name.

Cw sellers
April 12th, 2019 Dripping Springs, TX DETAILS

This company is a rip off. They say they will file an extension for free. But then they charge your credit card for $24.00. Total scam. Steer clear.

Jun 18, 2019

Hello CW Sellers, Can you confirm that you used www.E-file.com (with a dash)? $24 is not a fee that we have ever charged for extension software. Is it possible that you used a different website with a similar name? Now, we do charge $19.99 for our extension software. Included with this is free software to file your 1040 tax return (anytime between April 20th - October 15th). So, if you file an extension with us, you will receive software to file both your extension and your tax return (federal and state, regardless of filling type) for the $19.99 fee.

Kevin A
April 12th, 2019 Callaway, MD DETAILS

Assisted my mother in-law with filing her taxes as I do every year. She is not eligible for social security and keeps a part time job just to keep busy and have a small income. So her return was as simple as they come...one W-2 and no dependents. Got to the very end of the online program and was told that she had been automatically upgraded to the deluxe version with no explanation of why. When I inquired, I was told that she was not eligible for the free version because she was over 65. Really E-file? I can understand if her age caused additional forms to be required, but it didn’t. Also, you should state why a client does not qualify for your free service immediately when it becomes known. Otherwise I would not have wasted time continuing on. Deceptive company...stay clear!

Jun 18, 2019

Hello Kevin, I apologize for any confusion with this. The IRS actually did have a rule that changed the filing type for anyone 65 years or older, this criteria disqualified taxpayers from using a federal 1040ez form (which is free to prepare on our website). This is why your account had been upgraded by our system from free to deluxe. Now, with the recent tax law changes, the 1040ez form is no longer available. This year we continued to provide free software to all those who would have qualified for the ez form. We are looking at ways to expand this and the age criteria is one that we are trying to do away with. If you or your mother-in-law would like, we would be happy to provide this years software free of charge. Just reach out to us at [email protected] our domain name and we will provide you with a coupon code to do so.

Carla
February 22nd, 2019 Hastings, MN DETAILS

I have used this site previously and this year I had a issue using the discount code. It would not let me apply it to my total so I ended up paying full price. I contacted customer service and they were excellent and refunded me the amount of my discount right away. They were friendly and professional. The site itself is very user friendly to use.

Grandma765
February 14th, 2019 Marion, IN

2019 filing 2018 THEY SAY THAT YOU CAN FILE FOR FREE BUT THEY END UP CHARGING YOU IF YOU ARE BUT NOT IF YOU ARE OVER “65” YEARS OLD. I AM ON LIMITED INCOME AND MAKE LESS THAN 15,000 ON SOCIAL SECURITY. MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. I WOULD NOT I REPEAT NOT RECOMMEND THIS SERVICE TO ANY ONE. I FEEL THAT IT IS A RIP OFF. VERY BAD SITE IS NOT USER FRIENDLY. !!!!!!!!!! ASKED FOR MY ACCOUNTS TO BE DELETED.

Jun 18, 2019

I am very sorry for this. The IRS required anyone 65 years or older to file a 1040A tax form rather than a 1040ez form. The federal 1040ez form has always been free to prepare on our website. This is why your account was upgraded by our system from free to pay. The recent tax law changes eliminated both the 1040ez and 1040A forms. This year we continued to provide free software to all those who would have qualified for the ez form. We are looking at ways to increase the number of users who we can offer free software to and the age restriction is something that we are working on removing to help accomplish this. I apologize for the trouble and confusion with this. If you’d still like to use our software we are happy to provide it to you free of charge.

Sergi
February 14th, 2019 South Pasadena, CA DETAILS

It is free and works. It has improved significantly in last years. Sometimes is a little bit clumsy and printing the pages or saving them is confusing.

Steve
February 14th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

The service is OK , but the quality is good. They are not cheap but not crazy expensive.

Esther
February 14th, 2019 Plano, TX DETAILS

I like their products and their good customer service.

Bradley Bunger
February 1st, 2019 Hot Springs Village, AR DETAILS

I have revised my review, due to them rectifying the situation. They still need a customer service phone line and they did lose my taxes from last year. However, they promptly replied to my emails and after posting a bad review, they did find my 2017 tax info, so I’ll give them a three.

Grant
December 7th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

E-File is by far the fastest and easiest way of filing your taxes online. I would highly recommend!

Rob Rast
December 7th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Ran into some issues. Customer service helped resolve them.

Mabel
October 16th, 2018 Oshkosh, WI DETAILS

I do not have a financial background, and E-File is easy to use, thorough and accurate. I have used this program for three years, and the price is affordable.

Amber
September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

I liked using e-file to prepare my taxes. I thought the cost for the service was competitive and I appreciated being able to find answers to many of my tax questions.

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

only had a coupon and decided why not, i would try this out since i had a coupon and it was so cheap. i guess what i sent to the state was not correct because i had to corrfect it. and with federal i had to correct it as well. they wanted me to pay for some extension fee. i didn't see a phone number of who to contact to ask questions. i would not recommend E-File because i had errors and ended up fixing the errors on my own.

Aug 31, 2018

Hello Wanda, I am sorry that you had to correct your tax returns and retransmit them. Unfortunately, when information is entered by a taxpayer that does not match what the IRS or the taxpayer's state is expecting it can result in a filing being rejected. Typically, when this happens you just need to correct the filing and re-transmit it. This is completely free of charge as long as you are using the same account. While we are not allowed to correct the return on a taxpayer's behalf, we are certainly happy to assist all taxpayers in correcting their return and retransmitting it. The best way to receive assistance on your return is to log into your account and click the "Help" link located on the top right side of each page. Sincerely, E-file Customer Care

Tilda
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Easy to use and cheaper then having Simone else do it for you.

H Moore
June 4th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

We've used E-file several times to submit our taxes & the customer service has been great!

Melody
April 18th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Just terrible!!! I couldn't even end up filing with them even though I filled out the forms because they asked for one piece of information I forgot about/didn't have AFTER payment so that was $65 thrown in the garbage. Also, their customer service is absolute trash. No way to speak to someone on the phone and the people working behind the scenes just copy and paste pre-written messages that don't even address the problem. They refused to give me a refund! They say they charge for the preparation, not to e-file...what exactly did they prepare?! I have to punch in all the numbers and info myself that I enter into their calculator! If I wanted to pay for preparation, I would've just gone to a CPA who would do a much better job. Bottom line: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME/MONEY (P.S. it isn't really free)

Apr 25, 2018

Hello Melody, I am very sorry for the trouble you had with this. Now, $65 is not a price that we typically charge, please make sure that you used www.E-file.com (with a dash) and not another tax software provider. With that said, it sounds like you prepared a tax return but did not have the information that the IRS requires to digitally sign and electronically transmit it. Digitally signing is a requirement whether you used our software or not. Now, we are happy to assist you with trying to locate the information you do not have or if you are unable to locate this, you can always print and mail the return that you prepared. For additional assistance with this, please contact us at info at e-file.com. Sincerely, E-file.com Customer Care

Brendan Kearney
April 13th, 2018 Littleton, MA DETAILS

E-File made good on my complaint. Refunded my money (their mistake) and then offered to file my taxes for free. I have changed my opinion of them, and, despite the challenges I faced using them, I have to admit that they rose to the occasion, corrected the error, and even saved me the nearly 50 dollar filing fee. Thank you E-File.

Barb
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

I had to file a 1099 although I don't earn enough to pay to any federal tax. This state says I must. Other tax company's charge twice as much if you don't get a W2.

Jim Entwistle
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Product was easy to use and used a step by step approach to gathering tax information

JERRY W. MYLES
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

I HAD TO ENTER THE INFORMATION MORE THAT ONE TIME. SCREEN KEPT GOING ON AND OFF AND I HAD TO REPEAT SEVERAL TIMES. THANKS

jew
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

they made sure i got the most back for my return

Lisa
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Wish you could import automatically W2 employer's info, i.e. name, address, $ values, etc. (umless I did it wrong!)q

Hollandtd
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Ease of use with the software and application

Dissatisfied Denise
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Filed on 2/9/18 it is two mos. later and I still don't have my money!

Apr 23, 2018

Hello Denise, I am very sorry for any delay you have experienced with your tax refund. Unfortunately, we can't make the IRS process refunds any faster (nor can any tax software provider). If you would like, you can check the status of your refund at irs.gov/refunds or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Sincerely, E-file.com Customer Care

Sandra Bearchum
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

I don't think I got the all the return I should have gotten. You didn't ask if I was 65 or older, etc. I don't know if you even knew I was. I won't be using your service again.

Apr 23, 2018

Hello Sandra, I am sorry for the confusion with this. We get your age from your birthdate which is one of the first questions that users answer. The idea is to make the process as simple as possible and not ask questions that may be redundant. If you have any other questions about the software please do not hesitate to ask. Sincerely, E-file.com Customer Care

Chris in Daytona
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Ease of use and when I had a question, I was amazed at how quickly I got a responce to my query.

Andrew Norsworthy
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

I am 57 years old and having obviously been doing my taxes a long time. Often when asked to do a survey I don't do it unless the service was excellent and in an era where customer service has deteriorated badly in this country , that seldom happens. I really , truly and honestly can say that this year was the easiest and most pleasant experience I ever had doing my taxes.

Satisfied consumer
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

They didn't wait weeks to correct a mistake.

Carol R
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Easy to use and fast. Took me less then an hour to complete federal and state.

Gary Swanzy
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Quick, easy, and if the IRS hadn't audited me I would have gotten my refund back quickly.

Erin
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

It was very easy to use and walked me through every step with regular language!

Yukie
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

the convenience of the filing.....not having to search for the physical forms.

GrannyBrown
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Form is very user friendly and never leaves you wondering what to do next. It's the best.

Sun Day
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Easy to use your software. Give discount. Good deal cost.

CMW
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Very easy to use and prompts you ensure you've done everything accurately.

James Sabeti
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Everything was excellent, couldn't ask for a better platform, keep up the good work and thanks again.

alaa
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

simple to use step by step , price is reasonable , helping to find all deduction that offered to get the best refund

Horace Howington
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

It was easy and they handled everything including my school tax

Excellent tax filing option
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

IT was very easy and quick to do taxes with E-File

Clay
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Easy step by step instructions, and keeping track of the process let's you know exactly what is happening with the return

Judy
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Very easy to use and file. Quick confirmation and tax refund.

Carvel
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

ease in following the step by step procedure

A Williams
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

User friendly and very easy to follow directions

JDP
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

I did not find a way to lower my "owed" taxes enough, and there was no discount for paying child support to which I pay 28% of my income to.

Jeanette
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Because it was very simple& easy to use.

David J. Kelley
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

It is the fastest way to receive a tax return.

Clint
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

I liked e-file because it was easy to use and very intuitive.

COREY
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

IT WAS EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND FILL OUT..

Taxas
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Because of how they do their job, they say the approx amount and that is the amount I'm being returned.