Best Tax Prep

24 Companies

1,061 Real Customer Reviews

Why I can trust

3 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing a Tax Prep Company

Filing taxes is often the most important task that demands your attention at the beginning of each year. You want to make sure you are getting the best tax service possible in order to guarantee the best tax experience as well as the best possible refund. So, before you decide on what company best fits your needs, here are a few things you need to consider before choosing a tax prep company:

Outside assistance

Depending on your situation, you may need outside assistance in order to file your taxes. For example, many people who own their own business take their taxes to someone for outside assistance rather than do it themselves through online services. However, if you have a simpler situation such as being single and having one simple W-2, the better route may be to do your taxes through an online provider. Whatever your situation, make sure you identify the resources that will make your tax prep and filing as easy as possible.

Personal research

Humans are creatures of habit, and if filing taxes a certain way works once, they most likely want to stick to it again the next year. However, life is constantly changing, so deciding how to do your taxes should be something you research and think about every year. Starting a business, having children, getting married, and getting divorced are life events that can dramatically change the way you file your taxes. Make sure you find the best tax filing option every year; just because filing taxes one way worked perfectly last year, that doesn’t mean that it is the best option this year and every year after. And taking time to figure out your personal situation and what tax filing option works best will also help you narrow down your search in finding the best tax prep company for your needs.

Customer assistance

Whatever tax prep company you choose, customer assistance is one of the most important things to take into consideration. You want to make sure that you have the help you need when you have pressing questions that need immediate answers before you can proceed with your taxes. If you use an online service rather than outside assistance, live chat and easy access to customer service is going to be essential. When considering tax prep companies, make sure their customer assistance is compatible with your needs.