Urban Solar Group Logo

Urban Solar Group

LAST UPDATED: May 31st, 2022

Urban Solar Group is headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida, and is a full-service solar company that specializes in providing turnkey solutions for houses and business. The company started out as Key Power Services Inc. in 2001, and changed its name to Urban Solar Group in 2012. Urban Solar claims to handle everything, including all of the paperwork from start to finish. Urban Solar grew from a 1-man business, to a 6-full-time employee, million dollar company. The Florida-based company provides a variety of services, like solar energy installation, solar pool heating, solar attic fans, and more. Urban Solar does not say if they offer financing options.

The Good

• Long Time in Business
  • 5-Step Residential Solar Process
  • Great Warranties
  • Portfolio and Photo Gallery
  • Solar Blog

Long Time In Business

Even though it had a different name and location, the overall company and root of Urban Solar started in 2001. Being around for such a long time, Urban Solar claims to have a proven process that is tested and that works. Urban Solar's project management and installation team works hard to deliver fast results.

5-Step Residential Solar Process

People who want to install solar into their home can proceed with the following 5 steps:

1. Check one's home and roof to see which direction it is facing, and if there are any trees shading the roof.
  2. Contact Urban Solar for a free evaluation. Urban Solar will then create a solar proposal using online satellite imagery. Urban Solar contractors will come out one's the roof and verify it.
  3. Urban Solar then discusses financing options and if they qualify for federal and state incentives. People can choose to purchase, or go with other financing methods.
  4. This is the installation step, where Urban Solar will actually handle all of the paperwork.
  5. People can then turn the solar system on, and start saving immediately.

Great Warranties

All solar panels come with a 25-year performance warranty, a 5-year workmanship warranty, and a 10-25 year inverter warranty (depending on the type of inverter). It is helpful that Urban Solar is transparent with their warranties, since a lot of companies in the industry are not. The company has a Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Youtube, Instagram and Pinterest account. They are not especially active with their customers on Facebook, but they do have more than 2,000 likes on their page.

Portfolio and Photo Gallery

The company provides a gallery full of photos from past Residential and Commercial Solar installations.

Solar Blog

Urban Solar has a helpful blog with articles on a variety of solar energy topics. The blog has more than 30 articles.

The Bad

• Unclear Monitoring Information
  • No Mobile App
  • Unclear Financial Information

Unclear Monitoring Information

It is unclear if Urban Solar includes online monitoring with their Residential Solar solutions. It would be helpful to know, since many of the top companies include usage and/or production monitoring from a computer, phone or tablet.

No Mobile App

It does not appear that they have an Android or IOS Apple app.

Unclear Financial Information

The company offers people the ability to purchase a solar system with cash. While the company gives an overview to the financing options, it is very generic and does not list specifics or numbers. Urban Solar could definitely provide more information on financing, since it is such an important component. The company's website also does not include a lot of information on costs.

The Bottom Line

Urban Solar Group is one of Florida's leading solar companies, and offers many services. People can learn about their services on their website, and browse their photo galleries to see past installations. Urban Solar conveniently includes a workmanship, solar panel and inverter warranty. The website lacks specifics in explaining their financing options, and fails to mention if the solar systems include online monitoring. While this company may not be a standout, it is worth looking into for Florida residents.

View Best Solar Companies

3.4

Kathleen Ford Delray Beach, FL

Look no further! If you are considering solar panels for your home or business, we already did the research for you! After deciding to install solar panels on my 1950s Florida bungalow, my son and I spent MONTHS researching the local solar panel companies and narrowed the list down to the top five. Then we had intensive meetings with all five of the solar companies, some virtual and some in person. After more due diligence (even searching court records and the Better Business Bureau) we finally decided to go with Urban Solar. Not only did they offer the best financing terms and interest rate, but we were most impressed with Andy H who was our initial point of contact. Andy was impressively thorough and honest and designed the perfect configuration for my home. He is also just an all-around great guy and such a pleasure to deal with. Andy oversaw our entire installation from start to finish and was always available to answer the numerous questions we had. The entire staff of Urban Solar was remarkable – from the installers who worked diligently to get the job done swiftly and efficiently to the Vice President of Operation Rhiannon E who personally guided us from start to finish and even gave us her cell phone number! As we all know, customer service at this level is extremely rare these days. We could not be happier with our solar system, and it truly is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The panels have only been up for two months are we are already seeing significant savings (my FPL bill this month is $10). We are also exporting tons of energy to the grid and doing our part to combat climate change. Another major benefit is the HUGE tax credit – and if you are going to get panels installed, do it soon before they get rid of “net metering!” Tell Andy you saw this review and he’ll give me a cookie!

Juanita Is All Loxahatchee Groves, FL

--Updated Review 2022-- I also emailed the CEO- Haven't heard anything yet! My initial review was obviously based on that time frame. We purchased Sept 2020 panels and 3 tesla powerwalls. Dec 2020 was the install of panels only and we were very pleased to have had it done so quickly before the year was over. No powerwalls yet. The initial project manager was amazing and communicated with me every step of the way. I was told in Jan 2021 that my 3 powerwalls were coming and I was scheduled for 5/14/2021 install. Paperwork was sign in April for our powerwall location. March we had a new project manager because our first one got promoted. Never not once was emailed by her. Then 4/26/21 we got the 3rd one. She did reach out and on my actual install date 5/14 said that they had no clue as to when the batteries were being shipped. We tried to see if we could switch to the enphase batteries being that they were on hand and hoping they would honor our deal. They said no because since tesla raised their prices they had raised their price on the enphase batteries. We were trying to get them prior to hurricane season. Once again they were just sitting in the warehouse. I would get weekly updates from the current project manager. Same thing -no clue when we will receive them. Then it switched from weekly to monthly and now the last email she sent me was in March 2022 same message. I emailed her 5/9/22 to find out what was going on with the batteries. As I am writing this updated review (5/15/2022) I haven't received not one email or phone call from her. So are we pissed- highly! The lack of transparency has definitely been slacking. We are 2 veterans who work serving our vets. We are actually the same branch as Harold who we having been trying to see since 2021 if we could have the enphase and because of the price increase he refuses to do it. We continue to refer coworkers and friends but at this point I will stop; because if a company is treating us like this and only sees us as $$$ and not people then I don't want anyone to go thru the same. We love our sales guy Andy but he can't do anything, his job is done. The owner and management are the ones who should be ashamed to have customers waiting since Sept 2020 for a product, knowing that they can remedy it. Will they lose a couple of dollars, yes; but will they gain very loyal fans who can continue to bring them business- Absolutely! We are just sick of it!! We can only adapt and overcome so much. People reading this think twice. --Initial Review 2020-- Working with Andy and Urban Solar has been amazing thus far. Andy is very knowledgeable and you can tell he knows his stuff. We aren’t new to solar but Andy is amazing. They let you know what is going on and communicate every step as well as having an app that also lets you know what’s going on. To think that I had called Andy to cancel our appt because my husband didn’t want to do it. Andy convinced me and sparked some curiosity in me; and here we are getting solar. Call and setup an appointment even if you’re curious, you won’t regret it. Tell them I sent you, Juanita and Joe!

Scott Broughton

While their initial quote was high, they were good about offering a discount when pressed. The overall process was very well executed and the installation team stellar. I could not imagine a better process from deposit through net meter application. Urban Solar has an excellent team that coordinated everything, while keeping me informed all along the way. PV system monitoring is achieved with a phone application (Envision) that is supplied by Enphase, the maker of the Microinverters installed on each.of 26 panels. Overall I am very pleased with Urban Solar and highly recommend them for your solar power needs.

Drescher Boca Raton, FL

We had an overall GREAT experience with Urban Solar from getting started by receiving helpful advice and information on residential solar to getting a very well priced quote and having a smooth and trouble free install. We felt like we were being taken care of in a genuinely caring way. This is a company that seems to take pride in promoting a greener future by delivering a quality product and delivering great customer service. Their staff has been exceptionally polite and receptive to any concerns or questions we had.

Jo Bonita Springs, FL

My panels seem to work pretty well. Follow-up customer service is not available. I'm not sure how other companies are about follow up in comparison. I have not received any phone calls or letters to make sure I'm happy with my product or if I have any questions. When I called them with a question the fellow I spoke with seemed annoyed. My FPL bill seems to be creeping up and up so I was wanting them to come out and make sure all my panels were up to par. He said, they don't do that. When they sold me the panels they told me there would be follow-up and cleaning/checking.

Akhee Boss Lehigh Acres, FL

Urban solar installed my solar panels after we had our new roof installed. They were professional and easy to work with. My wife and I are very happy with their work.

Reggie Fort Lauderdale, FL

My sales person from Urban Solar Group lied to me! Tommy told me my monthly bill would be less and end of year tax assessment would also be less than the cost of my current electric bill. This was a lie. My mortgage payment went from approx. $1,800 to over $2,400. Be very careful dealing with Urban Solar or you may find your self in the same predicament as my family. I have reached out to the company and they have refused to refund the purchase which is over 200% profit for them. The owner does't care about customer service at all.

Roberto Cortes Madrid, M

This company and its owners are looking how to cheat people. I referred them a multi million dollar home and customer and did not pay me the promised fee and on top of that my friend and their client was not delivered the system offered. So you know the system was over $150K. !!!!!!!