Sunrun verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

8.2

Call Now

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value for consumers? We've made it our mission to find out. After conducting exhaustive research on the industry, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be a top dog based on a variety of criteria points.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • 20-Year Maintenance Coverage
  • Panel and Roof Warranties
  • High Transparency with Customers

Payment Flexibility

In order to fit the needs of almost any customer, Sunrun offers several financing options, including leases, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), prepayments, outright purchases, and loans. Leases and PPAs give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost. The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments. Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

20-Year Maintenance Coverage

If customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the system on their roof ever underperforms.

Panel and Roof Warranties

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased, a 20-year warranty on systems that are leased, and 24/7 system monitoring (provided by Sunrun).

High Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes a detailed FAQ section, a helpful guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand how to move forward with Sunrun.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Click here.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the system themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, Sunrun will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach. While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's financing options, maintenance coverage, warranties, and customer transparency are attractive features that make switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Click here.

Call our recommended rep over at Sunrun below.

3.5

November 20th, 2017 Framingham, MA DETAILS

Went through the whole process of getting approved only to find out the don''t do clay tile roofs. This is something they should of know before letting me go through the process.

November 20th, 2017 Orlando, FL' DETAILS

Every time they email me I try to reply but can't

November 20th, 2017 Casa Grande, AZ' DETAILS

Never heard from them they provided no information no explanation no costs or product specifications

November 20th, 2017 Hereford, AZ DETAILS

They just keep calling. I keep telling them that I'm not ready yet. I'll call them. But they keep calling.

November 10th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

You have to pay everything upfront. Once they had my payment the installation was incorrect. The system did not pass inspection after installation. Some of the problems were not resolved. I have also had three electrical problems in my house since the installation.

November 5th, 2017 Lucerne Valley, CA DETAILS

I would like to share a recent Email that I sent to Sunrun It details some of the experiences that I have had with them. Hi Michael ****, No New issues, just the same ones that Horizon Solar left me with, after their shotty install job. Still have a ghost in my Electrical system, about every 2-3 weeks I have to replace something electric, This week it was the light switch for the back porch lights. 3-weeks ago it was an outlet in my daughter's room, her computer and other items plugged into that outlet stopped working, after some testing we ended up replacing that outlet, again I believe this is the 3rd time we have replaced that outlet since the installation. The Back porch light bulbs, never last more than a few days before they blow out, these are brand new 5000 hour fluorescent bulbs, they last an average of 8-10 days before needing to be replaced. The front porch lights don't work half the time when we turn them on. And the last electrician you guy's sent out here said I had $20-30k Twenty to Thirty Thousand Dollars in damage to my Electrical system, Funny how you guy's just stop talking to me when he reported that, And you sent the account straight to collections instead of trying to fix the problems .... Did you think that all these problems were just going to fix themselves ? Maybe you though I was just making all of this up ? Until your Electrician came back with his report, you probably did think I was making all this up, but even after all of that, Instead of Trying to fix the problems you just sent the account to collections... Did you think we were just going to pay the bill and live with the Damages ??? Your Electrician also said I have something called Ground Leakage, he had measureable current in the grounding rods for the solar system, So if your system Really is working Like you guys say it is , It looks like all of that power is going right into the ground, and I am paying for it !, Before Solar I had a $200-$400 dollar Electrical bill, Now I have a $250-$600 Electrical bill EVERY MONTH, and I have a $212.59 Solar payment TOO... Edison has told me on multiple occasions that this solar system is not working correctly, Your own Electrician told me this system is NOT working correctly, and I have thousands of dollars in damage to my Electrical system, I still have high, Electrical bills Even Higher than before we had solar ? and a $212.59 Solar bill on top of that ? My Roof still leaks, I have sent in several pictures of this Multiple times. My Heater still doesn't work and it's almost winter AGAIN !!! Hot tub was never Reinstalled, now after 3 years of sitting it needs to be replaced, Pumps, lines, valves, all damaged by freezing conditions here in the winter. Backup generator was never installed, Inverter still makes terrible noises that we can hear thru the whole house, Since the day the Second Inverter was installed over 2 years now, the inverter has only recognized 35 of 36 panels, When I told Horizon about this, they referred me to Sunrun, you guy's are supposed to be monitoring this system and you can't see that ? Sunrun should have scheduled a service call to fix this issue years ago, but they didn't, and neither did Horizon Solar. A few days ago, the same day we replaced the back porch light switch, the pool pump stopped working , I can only imagine that it has something to do with all of the Electrical problems we are having... The pool pump is going to be over $1000.00 one thousand dollars to replace, So if I find out it was related to the issues I am having with the electrical system I will have to Charge the replacement and installation of that, to you guy's also. All I am asking is that my house be put back together the right way, Damages fixed, Appliances Replaced, Safety Restored... I am not asking for, the thousands of dollars in lost wages, from the 28+ days I had to take off of work for Horizon Solar to get the system installed. I am not asking for the $2,000 that it cost us to get all the information recovered from the hard drives, that were fried during the installation, so that we could get our Small Business up and running again. I am not asking for the Hundreds of dollars I have already taken out of my pocket for, Switches, Outlets, Bulbs, Tools, lighting fixtures and Appliances. All I am asking for is Everything to be fixed once and for all, to be completely Honest with you, You Guy's ( Sunrun ) have not even made an attempt, to fix anything, you sent one Electrician out here, he gave you some bad news, and now NOBODY wants to own up to Taking Responsibility for the Damages Done to our house. (by the way I am a Residential and Commercial inspector for a living, incase you are wondering why I see every little bit of Damage, Because it's my job...) Hey here's an idea, Maybe you guy's should hire me, to do your post install quality assurance checks... Best John W

October 31st, 2017 DETAILS

We had recently complained about defective panels and finally after months got a wonderful technician who replaced the panels in two days. However, our bill for the year came to over $1600,00 which is a thousand dollars over the projected cost given to us by the salesman when installed. We've had the system for 7 years and expected costs to go up but never have we met the projection cost as it's always higher. Thus, I contacted Sunrun and I was told I had to submit the years bills from Southern California Electric. I did send the bills attn. Danielle P who did not respond.... recontacted to verify that she had received the SCE bills but again no response. Bad business or just rude. Whatever, it's been our whole experience with Sunrun and so wish we had never gone with them as our solar provider.

October 30th, 2017 El Dorado Hills, CA DETAILS

Aggressive sales technique (kept emailing electronic signature page & contract for weeks after I asked them to stop), expensive, no local representative.

October 30th, 2017 amaica, NY DETAILS

Great costumer service. The installers were very professional, they answer all me questions without hesitation.

October 30th, 2017 Chatsworth, CA DETAILS

They are friendly and professional. The two guys that have been to my house have been great. But it is taking a long time to get my final plans prepared

October 30th, 2017 North Dartmouth, MA DETAILS

Very knowledgeable at their craft and do a good job explaining every step of the way

October 30th, 2017 Beach Haven, NJ DETAILS

Price was high, their sales rep was competent and showed up on time

October 30th, 2017 Buckeye, AZ DETAILS

We had solar installed over 5 weeks ago and we aren't even close to be activation. SunRun didn't show up for an inspection/appointment when the electrical company did.

October 30th, 2017 Cathedral City, CA DETAILS

No other company gave me credit. Sunrun did. I now have a PV Solar system and reaping rewards.

October 30th, 2017 El Mirage, AZ DETAILS

Project suppose to be finished and turned on over a month ago

October 30th, 2017 Lincoln, CA DETAILS

they are very responsive professional and cordial.

October 30th, 2017 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS

They weren't pushy, they were responsive, approachable, and had Costco benefits.

October 29th, 2017 Fullerton, CA DETAILS

So sorry for those folks who had a bad experience with this company. I am very pleased with the installation process and my saleslady was and is very professional. Inspection scheduled and then an ok to turn this system on. The crew who did the installation was quick, professional and cleaned up everything. All concerns were addressed and taken care of. They first installed new roof tiles where the panels go because my roof tiles have 10 years left, and this is a 20 year installation project. All went well.

October 26th, 2017 Hanalei, HI

I have had a Sunrun installation on my home in Hawaii for over a decade. I can highly recommend them.

October 26th, 2017 Tustin, CA

Professional. Clean. Clear. The person who showed up to my home what well informed.

October 25th, 2017 Mission Viejo, CA DETAILS

Bought my system from rec solar got through Costco, before they got together together. I had diminished power for about a year, and tried to find recsolar, finally found sunrun. It took over a year to replace the faulty panels (lots of E-mails and phone calls). Finally called Costco and they tried to help. God knows what would have happened if they didn't help

October 24th, 2017 Harwich Port, MA DETAILS

I have 2 homes with panels from their now defunct partner Sungevity. When 6 months ago Sunrun took over 100% of the contracts I had a dead converter at my house on Cape cod. It took them over 3 months and at least a dozen phone calls to repair the system while all along I was making lease payments. I can find NO record of Sunrun reimbursing me for lost energy charges. As a matter of fact I can't tell from my local electric bills or from Sunrun whether I receive Solar credit as of today!!! I've called both parties and they point at each other.

October 23rd, 2017 94550

Very professional sales, survey and installation.

October 23rd, 2017 92101

I thought it was a good company. However I had a very poor experience with them, I quickly realized their lack of attention to customer satisfaction and decided to seek another provider.

October 23rd, 2017 95492

Not as formal and professional compared to some of the other solar companies that I have had experience with. Did not receive any formal response for 2 weeks after meeting with representative and in found out from a phone call that your company could not put solar on to my house for supposedly safety reasons when no other company previously had identified that as an issue. Currently have solar and happy with the provider I went with.

October 23rd, 2017 33328

I interviewed over 10 companies. My overall impression of all of the was "SNAKE OIL SALESMEN".i got a different estiomate of the amount of panels I needed from every company.The possibility of me ever getting solar panels has been destroyed. My wife will not even discuss it anymore.

October 23rd, 2017 91104

They were useless to me, telling me I had too much shade for solar panels. I am having panels installed by another company next week.

October 23rd, 2017 8043

good at first then the service went downhill fast. Horrible company Im sorry I referred it friends

October 23rd, 2017 94112

Sun run was a total mess. I received three different stories of the outcome of my house inspection, all of them incompatible, and then total lack of follow up from my main contact.

October 23rd, 2017 92840

They use off short panels and really push power purchase which I am very schepticle about

October 23rd, 2017 85379

Highly recommended, customer service is reliable.

October 23rd, 2017 92692

Sales representative didn't have enough expertise.

October 23rd, 2017 93908

Very professional throughout the entire process. Pick them because they are connected with Costco and represented themself with the same integrity.

October 23rd, 2017 8886

O.K., Enthusiastic sales reps. Compared to other solar power companies, Sunrun offers more to homeowners.

October 23rd, 2017 91752

pushy, inability to actively listen and respond to the concerns of potential clients

October 23rd, 2017 85375

So far it has been excellant, waiting now for the installment to happen.

October 23rd, 2017 18324

Never heard back from them. Never heard back from them!!

October 23rd, 2017 94534

Friendly, Knowledgeable, Thorough, handling EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING from Start to Finish !!!

October 23rd, 2017 85377

POSITIVE EXPERIENCE THROUGHOUT PROCESS TO DATE.

October 23rd, 2017 95209

Very knowledgeable technical people . They were very punctual in coming on the date of the installation of panels on the roof. The paint on the electrical conduits was perfectly matched to the paint of the house. Very professional people. Very highly recommended.