Sunrun

7.6

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out.

After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points.

Sunrun, which is the nation’s largest residential solar, storage, and energy service company, has installed over 1,600 megawatts of solar power and helped hundreds of thousands of consumers in 19 states.

Sunrun is the pioneer of the solar-as-a-service model and continues to drive innovation of solar generation, storage, and energy services and technologies. The rooftop solar provider's mission is to create a planet run by the sun.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • Customized Solar Systems
  • Simple Solar Process
  • 25-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Sunrun Solar Panels
  • Customer Care Team
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

To fit customer needs, Sunrun offers several solar financing options, including solar lease, Power Purchase Agreement (PPAs), prepayment, outright purchase, and solar loan.

Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost. PPAs from Sunrun help the homeowner save on his or her electric bill.

The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments.

Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

Customized Solar Systems

Sunrun understands that when it comes to renewable energy, every customer's home, lifestyle, and savings goals are unique.

As a result, the solar company customizes every solar panel installation to the customer's needs using its own proprietary Automated Site Modeling design technology. With just a few pieces of information and satellite imagery of the rooftop, Sunrun's Automated Site Modeling software quickly designs a custom solar energy system to maximize production.

Simple Solar Process

Sunrun strives to make switching to clean energy as simple and hassle-free as possible for its customers. The solar installer saves time by taking care of everything from scheduling to permitting and allowing people to follow their installation progress through the mySunrun mobile app. The design and installation process is as follows:

• Step 1: Sunrun's experienced technicians will visit, measure, and evaluate the home; ensure that a solar system is the right fit; and design a customized solar plan.
  • Step 2: Sunrun's design experts will review and make any adjustments to the custom evaluation.
  • Step 3: Sunrun submits the design plans to the local city government for permitting.
  • Step 4: After the permit is granted, Sunrun's installers will come out to the home, go over the custom design with the customer, receive approval, and get to work.
  • Step 5: Once the system has been installed, the city or county will perform the final inspection.
  • Step 6: Sunrun will submit documents to the utility company and "Permission to Operate" will be granted.

25-Year Maintenance

If Sunrun customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the solar panel system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Sunrun Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased and up to a 25-year warranty on systems that are leased. Each solar customer's Sunrun contract also includes a roof warranty, which protects the roof from leaks or holes.

In addition, Sunrun provides its solar customers with daily system monitoring for no additional fee. The company's monitoring team oversees all all Sunrun systems and keeps an eye on production levels. If something happens or if performance dips, Sunrun will contact you as soon as possible to get things fixed.

Customer Care Team

Sunrun provides a U.S.-based customer care team that is ready to answer questions and help resolve any issues that may arise.

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout.

Brightbox also helps customers manage electricity costs by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of helpful information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes detailed solar education and FAQ sections, a helpful Guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand Sunrun's products and how to start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 1,600 megawatts of solar energy.

As a result, the solar energy company has offset 3.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 240,000 customers to control their energy bill.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following states:

• Arizona
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Vermont

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of articles and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, local information, solar education, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Learn more.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach.

While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Find out more. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

Call our recommended rep over at Sunrun below.

not_listed_location

Sunrun Frequently Asked Questions

How does going solar with Sunrun work?

After you sign your Sunrun agreement, you’re ready for solar panel installation. The best part? You don’t have to lift a finger because we take care of everything from scheduling to submitting permits, to working with the city and utility, and securing your solar panels to your roof. Naturally you’ll have questions, and we’ll be right there with you answering them every step of the way.

Once you’re approved for a Sunrun solar installation, your home will undergo a site assessment and an expert solar technician will visit your home to confirm your system design.

After that, our solar design experts make any necessary adjustments to your design and get your final approval. Once you’ve approved your system design, we submit your design to the city for permitting. From there, either Sunrun or one of our local certified partners perform your solar installation. We only partner with the top-rated solar installers, so know you’ll have the highest quality solar installation available.

When your installation is complete, the city or county will perform a final inspection on your system. Once it’s approved, it will be connected to the grid, and we’ll submit your documents to the utility company. After your utility company grants Permission to Operate, you’re ready to start powering your home with the sun.

How much does a solar energy system from Sunrun cost?

Solar home solar system prices vary by home, your utility company, and your location. Contact Sunrun for a quote today.

What solar panels does Sunrun use in its installations?

Sunrun uses standard and high-performance solar panels in its installations.

How long does it take for Sunrun to install solar panels?

The process of having a home solar system installed on your roof can be relatively quick. Many Sunrun installations are completed in one day.

But before our crew comes to your house, we take a few weeks to prepare your project so that you have the smoothest installation day possible. You will have a team of experts working for you during this time who handle the tasks necessary for a smooth solar installation and keep you updated along the way. Our customer app also allows you to see your installation status during this time:

• Conduct a site survey to look at your roof, attic and electrical panel
  • Finalize your custom design
  • Apply for permits and wait for approval
  • Collect other necessary approvals and documentation that is specific to your neighborhood, such as HOA approval

Your project coordinator will be in touch with you throughout this time to keep you up-to-date on your progress. When it comes time to install the system, your installation coordinator will let you know how long the construction process will take for your home.

How long is a Sunrun agreement?

In general, our Sunrun agreements last for up to 25 years. Contact a Sunrun solar advisor for more information.

What happens at the end of a Sunrun agreement?

When you reach the end of your Sunrun agreement, you have three options:

1. You can purchase the solar system at the fair market value (excluding New York homeowners).
  2. You can renew your lease with us on an annual basis.
  3. Sunrun can remove the system at no cost to you.

When you reach the end of your agreement, the Sunrun Customer Care team will help you with moving forward however you choose.

Does Sunrun offer a warranty?

All of our solar equipment is backed by robust warranties. When you choose BrightSave, your solar system will also come with 24/7 monitoring and maintenance. So if it breaks, we’ll fix it, free of charge. Contact us to learn more about our Comprehensive Home Solar System Support.

Does Sunrun offer solar monitoring?

Yes! We have a monitoring team dedicated to keeping an eye on your home solar system. Here’s how it works:

1. We record production (in real-time) — Your Sunrun meter counts your kilowatts as they’re produced.
  2. We collect your production data (every six hours) — Four times a day, your Sunrun meter sends your production data to our Denver-based monitoring team, where all production data is collected, stored, and analyzed.
  3. We evaluate your production (every day) — We compare your production to the estimates included in your contract to confirm that your system is working as expected. We also check the weather and other systems in your neighborhood to make sure you’re harvesting just as much sunshine as your neighbors.
  4. We fix what needs fixing (if necessary) — If your system isn’t working as expected, we will identify the issue and rectify the situation. If we cannot fix your system with remote troubleshooting, we may need to send a technician to take a look at your system in person.

How many states is Sunrun in?

Sunrun currently offers residential solar service in 22 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Sunrun states are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Wisconsin.

3.6

LogicLady San Diego, CA

Very poor customer support and a lack of coordinated technical management. The installation team appeared competant and were polite and clean, but had to make an "emergency" visit jut before city inspectors arrived as they had forgotten to install the ground. Additionally, it was determined two weeks later that they had also forgotten to install the transmitter antenna, making communications to the system impossible. In addition, when they "turned the system on" (which they sent an after-the-fact email to let me know), they forgot to ACTUALLY turn the system on, so I spent the next two weeks paying full power fees to the power company and concurrently paying VIVENT/SunRun. I am on a fixed income, and double power bills, even if they may be reconciled months later, are difficult to handle. I was passed by the billing office to the Customer Care office who told me (after 30 minutes on hold while they conferred), that until I had been unhappy for another two months they couldn't do anything for me. Do not work with this company - they do not care about their customers.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication. We're so sorry to hear this. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please feel free to contact us by calling 855-478-6786, we will have our Customer Care team assist you in resolving your issues. We appreciate the feedback.

Apr. 9th, 2021

Alex New San Diego, CA

My selling Rep was Not honest -The agent assured me the new Solar will generate enough power to wave the Edison bill -He did not tell me about the annually utility bill from Edison, he said all what you need to pay is just monthly fee less than $10 - In the agreement he put in the contract LONGI panels yet they installed REC he made me sign in his computer without reading, I trusted him unfortunately - He did not say after 4:00 pm you are in the Edison power not the solar - he told me I will get credit for the power i will sell to Edison yet I have to pay Edison - if I knew all the details I would not sign this agreement. Please read your agreement the first and last page should tell you how much percentage you are waving from your Edison power usage Remember no matter what you still have to pay Edison the yearly not just monthly fees Now I am stuck with $540 annual bill from Edson after one year usage, that's what most people do not know SunRun is scam

Reply from Sunrun

We are sorry to hear about this negative experience and would like the opportunity to address any specific concerns you have regarding your system's performance. Please send us a private [message] with your address and we have a Specialist reach out.

Apr. 12th, 2021

mohsen ali Glendora, CA

when you call Sunrun , they answer welcome to the largest company and I should add the worst company. I don't know how they can be in business. First experience I had a leak , for almost 6 months none will answer calls , emails, mails, and only after I suffered 3 extra leaks from more rain and suffered internal damage to the house I launched a complaint against them to the state board . Despite that they would not fix the leak and I had to remove the panels on my cost and throw them in the backyard . I went with Vivint , who became Sunrun , the worst company in the country and they never failed to be the worst. They installed the panels and now after 8 months they didn't activate the system. Despite all the begging and the requesting they had no response . I will not have their system even if it is for free. am sending them a letter that in one week if they don't activate the system and give me a new agreement , I am again throwing their panels out .

Reply from Sunrun

Hello, We apologize for dropping the ball on your experience. Customer service is really important to us, but sometimes we make mistakes. We'd love to look into this for you. Please send your address and review to [email protected] so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you.

Apr. 7th, 2021

MinnieMom Livermore, CA

Do not go with this company. They put the panels on our roof 6 months ago and we still don’t have service. The sales rep forgot about us. Not to mention when he 1st came to our door, he was maskless. Not sure what they get out of having solar panels on roofs with no service. I say someone say they never received their welcome gift card. Must be same sales rep because we didn’t either.

Reply from Sunrun

We're so sorry to hear this. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please feel free our Customer Care team by calling 855-478-6786. We would be more than happy to address your issues.

Kathy Stockton, CA

Sun Run is a joke... my roof leaked in 2 areas during installation... they won’t fix my roof I have to spend $1200.... and I’ve been paying more on my electric bill instead of saving... 2019 I paid $1000, 2020 I have to pay additional $1800 on top of my $162 monthly bill. Customer service is another joke, they promised to call me back in 2-3 days ... I called 3x no call back. I would not recommend this company even to my worst enemy .

Reply from Sunrun

Kathy, we are sorry to hear about this negative experience and would like the opportunity to address any specific concerns. Please call our Customer Care team so we can address your issues, the number is 1(855)478-6786.

Butch dunfee Oxford, PA

Sunrun is a joke we've been dealing with them since August of 2019 since then our electric bill has technology doubled seem im paying an electric bill thts actually the same as my sunrun bill if not sometimes more we've been on the phone with them since August of 2020 and haven't got anywhere i actually turn off the solar panels and they finally sent a tech out he informed me after I showed him my electric bills tht it seems my electric companies peco and solar panel companies don't get along with each other so since the beginning of this year I stop making payments to them now u think that would stir them up and someone would call we that didn't happen either i wouldn't reccomend solar to anyone and im a hvac tech and way 100% on board with solar not no more beware of the scam sunrun is one of the biggest I've seen so far and maybe other solar companies are better but to me its just away for the consumer to help supply electric to the electric company at the consumers expense

Reply from Sunrun

We would be more than happy to review your system's production and answer your questions in regards to what you are paying and why. Please feel free to contact us by calling 1-855-478-6786. Thank you for your communication.

Eric B. Maplewood, NJ

I've had a Sunrun solar energy system on the roof of my home for 9 1/2 years. In that time, I have had exactly *two* months where energy production exceeded (or even approached) consumption - on a system they claimed would produce 97% of our energy in our 4-person houseold, which has been a 2-person household for several years now. Quotes were revised several times, installation was delayed for ill-explained reasons, and Sunrun has had to give me the under-production credit every single year that I've had this system. Now, I am selling my home and am contractually obligated to purchase the system. Fine, that was to be expected. We call Sunrun to find out the purchase price, and the customer service rep quotes us a price that matches what is on our contract. A day later, we get an email from Sunrun saying the SCR was wrong, and the actual purchase price is twice what he told us. That was two weeks ago. There has been ZERO response to my repeated emails and calls asking Sunrun to explain this huge discrepancy in cost. All I got by way of explanation was "The purchase price of a system is the fair market value plus sales tax. FMV is determined by a third party appraiser, DAI Management Consultants, Inc ("DAI"). When determining fair market value, DAI takes into account the Solar System's age, location, size, and other market characteristics such as equipment type, service costs, the value of electricity in your area, and any applicable incentives. " copied directly from the contract terms. No answer when I ask to see this appraisal or the formula used to calculate it. Again, this is a system that has never lived up to what was given to us in writing. Yes, the production numbers are "estimates", but when your estimates are 3-5x higher than reality, maybe your methods of estimation need work. At any rate: ANSWER YOUR EMAILS!

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication. We are disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction with us. Please feel free to message us. We would be happy to review your issue in detail.

Brent Stafford, VA

Sunrun/Vivint Solar Customer service is top notch. I got multiple quotes and all in line but the quality of the panels are better. They don't try to stick you with a low quality system to maximize thier profits. Hugo vs BMW. Great communications and follow thru.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your kind words! Let's create a planet run by the sun.

Kimberly Ashbaugh Tucson, AZ

I would give them 0 stars if I could. Our 34 panel system is supposed to be 110% offset but we keep paying the power company and sunrun. We are saving nothing, it costs us money and I'm in Arizona with 330 days a year of sun. They don't monitor your system, you do and you pretty much have to guess to see if it's working. Customer service is poorly trained and will give you the run around constantly. They were fine until we signed but now they're just awful. We have an under performing system that can't supply power for a household of 2. Ridiculous!

Reply from Sunrun

Hello Kimberly, if you own the system, we do not proactively monitor the system. Once you go solar, your utility company will begin billing you as a "net energy metering" (NEM) customer. This means instead of billing you for all of your electricity usages, your utility will only bill you for the difference between system production and how much total electricity your home needed for the month. If your solar production is used immediately in your home, it will not be sent to the grid which will cause a discrepancy between your production on mySunrun and your utility bill. For example, if the system generates 400 kWh of solar electricity and you used a total of 600 kWh of electricity in your home, your utility company will only bill you for 200 kWh of electricity. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

KRich Plano, IL

Worst experience ever. Their word means nothing, and it’s been going on since May of 2020 and here it is February and I’m still paying ComEd what is was last year and now paying Sunrun theirs too. Never got my signup gift card, salesman won’t return calls and texts. Customer service doesn’t seem to want to help. They tell me to make all the calls So disappointed!!!

Reply from Sunrun

Rich, We are disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction with us. Please feel free to contact us by calling our Customer Care team at 855-478-6786. You can also email us at [email protected] Thank you for your communication.

Apr. 7th, 2021

Larry Aguilar Yorba Linda, CA

I had a Sunrun Solar System installed in my previous home that I sold and decided to install a Sunrun Solar System in my new home. I contacted the Sunrun Rep that provided me with a quote with a price that was acceptable so I signed the Sunrun agreement. Sunrun came out inspected my home and roof and indicated that everything looked good, they just were waiting for permits to start. However, about 6 weeks after I signed the Sunrun agreement, the Sunrun Rep called me and said that the roof estimate they received from their subcontractor was $1,900 more than they had anticipated, so I was going to have to come with an additional $1,900. I informed the Sun Rep that I shouldn't have to pay the additional $1,900 for Sunrun's mistake. If Sunrun under estimated the cost for the roof it was their fault. Sunrun refused to pay the difference for their own mistake, so I cancelled the Sunrun Solar System. I refused to do business with a company that does not stand behind their own written agreement.

Reply from Sunrun

We would love to support the resolution of your issue. Customer service is really important to us, and we'd love to look further into this for you. Please feel free to contact our Customer Care team by responding to our private message.

Chris Lemoore, CA

Problems from start. We sign and pay for a upgrade panel. The day of installation they have the exactly same panel and try lying and bs me. After talking to a rude lady at sunrun who want to fors me to let them install. She even threaten me after her second threat of no electricity till after installation. I lost my temper and run them off. PGE restore my power later the day. After paperwork prove me right they honor it but add 4 weeks to installation. The installation was smooth. Then the next shocker 2 months later we need to pay for the system not producing and PGE for electricity. We call PGE who need paperwork. Back to sunrun and another week of headache it was sorted out From signing the papers in 09/30/2020 till panels produce 01/05/2021 five months later. Then come the next shocker Monitoring!!!! Promise when buying. You can login and monitor the system BIG FAT LIE!!!! Well all you can see is what the whole system was preducing yesterday. How is that monitoring ????? That is absolute no monitoring half of your system can be down or 2 panels are broken and you will not know it. According to Sunrun call center representative they themself can't monitor it in real time. Friends of mine can log into their system and see in real time every panel performance that is monitoring and that is what sunrun promis a BIG FAT LIE. That make the whole maintaining thing BS. This is the most dishonest industry I ever dealt with in my life. From out right lies to grossly false representation. After getting 4 quotes. We go with sunrun thinking that backing from costco mean something. It turn out not so much. We try get costco involved over the panel issue what a waste of time no help. We was on our own to fix it yourself. The monitoring turn out to be one of the grossly false representation we have to live with the most important function and the biggest reason I would not recommend Sunrun to no one

Peter Weiler Marlborough, MA

The salesman prepared a preliminary design that did not include the effects of shading by near-by trees or roof pitch. In a follow-up Zoom meeting, he told me that I needed to sign an agreement based on this design in order to proceed to the next step, Site Assessment. I agreed to do so only because he assured me that I could cancel at any time up to a few days before installation. He also assured me that the company would fill in data from the final design "over my signature"! He then proceeded to DocuSign the agreement for me. (Forgery?) He emailed a copy to me only because I asked for it. I was distressed to learn that the agreement: 1) Contained a clear 10-day limit for cancellation; 2) Omitted specifying the equipment to be used in the system; 3) Contradicted verbal warrantee descriptions. I cancelled and went looking elsewhere.

Reply from Sunrun

We would love to help resolve the concerns that you have. In order to do so, we need you to please send us a direct message with your address, which we have previously requested. Thank you.

Diana Hillside, NJ

Sunrun customer service the worst. My roof leaking from the panels that they installed so I want to change the roof but sun run told me that they will charge me $5,450 for them to take the panels out and put it back so I spoke to them that not my fault that your installer destroyed my roof . My roof only 3 yrs old when they put this solar 9 yrs after a need another roof that will cost me another $15,000 plus $5,450 add the math did I save anything? I tried to explain that it’s their fault why my roof is leaking and guess what they said they can’t do anything . I ask them to take them off and don’t want them in my roof anymore he told me no negotiation I signed the contract if any lawyers reading this complain please try to file a lawsuit you will have a lot of clients . Sunrun all I am asking them is not to charge me to take them off and putting it back because it’s their fault why the roof is leaking he answer he can’t help me . Imagine they destroyed your property and they said they can’t help me . When they want your service they are so nice but when there’s a problem you’re on your own . Willing to pay the roof but refusing to pay the fees to remove and put it back No he said no negotiations.

Tootall Anderson, SC

I just bought a house with leased panels from Sunrun. My power bill has gone up every month for 3 months. The last month by over $100.00 I need to have a new roof installed. Sunrun is going to charge me over $4,000 to take the panels down and reinstall after the new roof is put on. I do not know when Sunrun will come out. Hard to line up a roofing company. Customer service is below average.

phillip spriggs Secaucus, NJ

Have had SunRun for three years, have complained about higher bills than I have ever had prior to contracting with Sunrun. Bills are probably 30% higher instead of lower. To date nothing has been done. Customer service sent a tech out who stated something was not working properly, left and never saw him again. Do not contract with this company, you will regret it.

Louis Harter Golden Valley, AZ

Please do not use this rip=off company. I've been trying for 15 months to fix my system. It is a 9.2 kw producing ,04 kw. Doug Harter Bouse az

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication, Louis. We are sorry to hear you are sorry to hear about the experience you had. We would like to take the chance and turn this around. Please private message us your contact information. We will have a representative reach out to you as soon as possible.

Keith Hambek Aurora, CO

Absolutely horrible customer service! We were told that if our solar panels didn’t rate up to what we were expecting and quoted after a year, we could call customer service and have the plan adjusted. Between my utility bill and my Sunrun bill, I am paying more out of pocket than if I didn’t have solar. I explained that to a customer service rep, and her answer was to sell me another solar system to put on my roof, and pay for both systems! I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that she would have to call me back. I have now made 3 calls and asked for supervisors, and none have called me back. They get you into a contract, then don’t care any more about you or your service. P.s. don’t buy their load of crap about rebates or referrals either. I haven’t seen any of the 3 I was promised.

Reply from Sunrun

Thanks for reaching out, Keith. Customer service is really important to us, and we'd love to look further into this for you. Please send us a direct message with your address so we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

DP Albuquerque, NM

Where to define? Absolutely the worse experience still on going year 2. Installation took 5 months. Installed incorrectly and had to be reinstalled. Once on line, only produced 10% of expected but Sunrun doesn’t do a quality check to see if it’s producing as expected. They claim to monitor your system but in reality YOU monitor the system and let them notice if you see a problem! Finally producing “good enough” as I was told by customer service. Inverter failed 6 months later, and it was discovered my panels were wired incorrectly. Took 2 months to get a new one. No support from Sunrun with loss of production and having to pay power bills out of pocket since the incorrect wiring caused the failure. This summer I discovered critter guard was no properly installed and pigeons started nesting under the panels. Went on top of roof to discover I had a shattered panel, broken tiles and missing critter guard on sections. Over 30 broken or replacement tiles the incorrect color. Called and opened a case- what joke that it. Spoke with the case manger once and then poof. No reply to emails, calls, or even a follow up check. When I told him one of my panels was shattered, I was told the others are producing enough to compensate for it. I told him it was a brand new system and shouldn’t be shattered and once again told it’s good enough According to their standards. Had a tech come out and tell me my entire system was installed completely wrong. Which mostly like caused the shattered panel or ot eas dropped during second install. Sunrun no longer uses this company for installations, so I’m just one of the unlucky ones. 2 months later and still waiting to have my entire panel system replaced. As seen with other feedback responses want to buy your system Sunrun customer care is unhelpful And do not value you as a customer once payment has been made.

Reply from Sunrun

Hello DP, We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Can you send us a direct message with your address so we can look into this? Thank you.

debra farrell Loma Linda, CA

We signed an agreement on 8/31/20 with Nathan, who was good. Then on Monday, 9/14/20, things started to get worse, phone and email were unable to connect/or disconnected. Everyday from 9/14/20, we keep getting a new contract to sign which we did not. In addition, we had to track down who to contact. On Friday, Aaron was telling us about a lease contract but we had a purchase agreement, which we did not know until Guy told us on Sunday night 9/20/20. Today, we keep getting the contract to sign and for the past several days, the contract still has to be fixed. Final, an email was sent to this evening to both Costco & Sunrun to cancel the contract with Sunrun for several reasons. We were told that the way Sunrun handled this was not correct. Now we looking for a new company

Reply from Sunrun

Debra, we would love to help resolve the concerns that you have. In order to do so, we need you to please send us a direct message with your address, which we have previously requested. Thank you.

Rogelio Bellflower, CA

So let me tell you about Sunrun. They are great when they're trying to get your money, but once you have a problem they pretty much disappear and neglect you. I signed up through Costco. The guy that came was great. He was very knowledgeable. I was sold. One of the things he sold me was a battery which they call a BrightBox. This BrightBox cost me $5,000 and some dollars. For a year and a half I was happy with the equipment and I was telling my friends and family about Sunrun. Well that was before any problems started. Now, back in June, My BrightBox went out. I contacted the company they said they would schedule someone to come out and take a look. OK. So a few weeks later a guy comes out and explains that LG makes the BrightBox and the fuse is blown but LG does not allow them to change a fuse. Instead he'll have to order a new BrightBox and install it in a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks turned into a month. Now, on August 25th a new guy comes out and since I am working from home I told him to go into the garage and do his thing. I come out on my break to see the new battery, but there is no new battery. Same old battery. I call the guy to see what's going and you know what he tells me???? He says, " Oh, your fuse is blown I have to order you a new battery." I say, "No! We know the fuse is blown. You're supposed to install a new battery." He says, " I'll check the work order." Does he ever call back? NO! I call Sunrun, and an hour later an agent takes my info and says someone will call me back within two days. I send customer service an email. To be honest a very upset email. Did anyone ever call me back? NO!!! Did anyone ever email me? NO!!! In short I have a piece of worthless aluminum hanging on my garage wall which I paid $5,000 and some dollars for. Sunrun doesn't care that I've been without it for TWO MONTHS now. If you're interested in solar that's great, but I would not recommend Sunrun as your company.

Reply from Sunrun

Rogelio, We are sorry to hear about this negative experience and would like the opportunity to address any specific concerns you have regarding your system's performance. Please send us a private message with your address and we have a Specialist reach out.

Ashley G Union, NJ

I'd give it zero stars if i could! From the start this has been the worst company ever. I received my install date, took the day off from work for the technician to not even show up, old fashioned no call, no show. The company promised a $500 gift card as a "sorry we screwed up", this like the technician never showed up. Finally weeks later we get someone to show up, they install the panels on our roof and a few months go by and boom, a leak in the roof & mold to accompany it. After MONTHS of fighting for them to send someone out to fix the roof they decide to just cut us a small check to fix it ourselves. At this point, I just needed it done. Now, here we are two years in and im STILL receiving $300 bills along with the rental fee from sunrun. Their customer service has told me basically "too bad" they set us up for how much energy they "thought" we'd use. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

Reply from Sunrun

Ashley G. We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Can you send us a direct message with your address so we can look into this? Thank you.

steve prokowich Greenfield, MA

i had sungevity which sunrun bought. you shut my panels off and i never heard from you again. WHY ? Unless you make amends im going with onother company. i owe you nothing.

Reply from Sunrun

Steve P. Please direct message us with the name on the contract as we are very disappointed to hear that you feel this way. We would love to support the resolution of your issue. Will you provide us your property address so that we may best support your concerns.

Stevens Family

Easy..from beginning to end. One year later we have saved money and had no problems!

Jiggins

Best company ever!!! Good quality service! I was able to save a ton of money. Thank you very much!

Ken

Sunrun will not provide backup batteries to existing Sunrun customers, only new ones.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your interest in Brightbox. We are working on a retrofit solution for existing customers and expanding our home battery solution to more states. As soon as Brightbox and/or a retrofit is available, we will let our customers know.

Erlinda & Bob

Once installation was completed, and final inspection was completed, everything has been 100% as promised.

Chet

Great sales, installation and customer service.

Diana P.

I love having solar panels and especially love that I have not had an electric bill in over a year. Everyone at SunRun was pleasant to work with and walked me throught the process. I took off one star because for the first 6-9 months that I had the system it seems like there were multiple issues and someone had to come out at least once a month to work on it. The issues have since been solved and everything is working great now.

[email protected] Surprise, AZ

My system stopped working in March A. service representative came out and found the invertor wasn’t working. This invertor was replaced two years ago.I’ve been patiently waiting for the new invertor. Sunrun keeps telling me two to three weeks. Of course, now COVID 19 is the excuse. Two things bother me. 1. They are still doing new installations. Lend me one until mine can be replaced. I’ve been a loyal Sunrun customer for eight years, singing their praises. 2. My June bill was over $300., when it should have been $10-$20. It’s never been that high and it’s not even extreme hot weather. I’m on the phone yet AGAIN waiting. They’re not answering.

Reply from Sunrun

This is not the Sunrun norm! We would like to take this opportunity and review what specific issues you are concerned about regarding your bill. We know waiting to get the system installed this long is not ideal please feel free to contact our Customer Care team and we can address this issue.

Linda Hawkes Henderson, NV

Solar panels are working as promised, our electric bill has noticeably reduced.

Paul Huber Las Vegas, NV

My power system is excellent. Does everything I expect from it. SunRun service is at fault. When I talk to Representatives, they are always pleasant and seem to have concern over my issues. But it end there. I get referred to other departments or to subcontractors who just done close back with me. I call SunRun back to follow up and nice sounding people commit to getting the work done, but it never happens.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication in regards to the experience you've encountered. We've saddened to see that this has not been since you're having system issues and you're not able to save. We can certainly address this issue and reach out to you for more details. We'd like to turn this experience around this is not the Sunrun norm.

BillAZ Sun City West, AZ

Our system was installed in May 2019. It didn’t work until August 2019. The investor needed to be replaced. It took 2 months to get it changed out. It took forever to get the investor considering this was a new system. Poor and very slow customer service.

Colin Castro Valley, CA

Not able to expand or add more panels. Backup battery system not available.

Daravi Fontana, CA

Good product, friendly service and good prices.

John H Phoenix, AZ

The people and service was great, responsive and installed as planned. Cost higher than others and the app has less information than others I have seen.

Lourdes Perez Daly City, CA

I have an issue that they cannot resolve until now. Spoke to Ritter and now Dania no results yet

Lillia hunt Rescue, CA

Bad customer service, something wrong with my panel, they said they never touched it, so how you hook up solar

Reply from Sunrun

Hello, we are so sorry to hear that your expectations were met. Please know this is not the Sunrun norm and we want to address your concerns. Please provide me the full name on the account or feel free to call into Customer Care so we can start a case! Let's power forward!

Anonymous Oceanside, CA

Very satisfied with service. Install and money that we are saving

Bob K. Simi Valley, CA

The rate I am paying is higher than I remember being told initially, and the combination of the two electric bills does not seem like an improvement over my original single bill with SCE.

Zee L Snyder Rockville, MD

finally brought back the ability to see production on a custom date range.

Jim Hesperia, CA

Personnel always courteous and there have been no issues since installation.

Huggins/Boyle Home Henderson, NV

Were very efficient, fast and professional from setup to functionality.

Kay Clovis, CA

They are very responsive and easy to speak with

Al Lachman! Fremont, CA

Best practices. Totally projo people from sales start to finish Under promised and over delivered.

wont save you money La Grange, CA

system saves no money even though they claim otherwise.

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for your communication. We certainly understand your concerns over these high utility bills you've bee receiving. We'd love the opportunity to look into these savings concerns. Please reach out to Customer Care we'd love to take this opportunity to turn your experience around.

Linda Richardson Clovis, CA

Very easy to work with, prompt and knowledgeable

Kevin Phoenix, AZ

Customer Service not great! Lack of note from employees on past calls

Reply from Sunrun

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and understand service issues can be very inconvenient and unexpected and that there is always room for improvement, appreciate you pointing this out. We are very happy to hear that overall you were happy with the experience! if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to Customer Care (855-478-6786)

SM Hillside, IL

no problems since beginning the process. Any questions I had were quickly answered.

Harley Chino Valley, AZ

They didn't install an adequate # of panels, yet we pay as much as others with more panels. Our neighbors with the exact same model home got 2 more panels than we did, they make the same monthly payment and they get bigger refunds from our local power company, but Sunrun said, "Hey you're stuck with your contract"!