Tesla Energy Solar Power

2.4

LAST UPDATED: September 16th, 2022
Megaphone Icon

Tesla Energy Solar Power is not affiliated with Tesla.

Tesla Energy Solar Power is in no way affiliated with the electric car and solar company founded by Elon Musk, but it is an entirely separate entity located in Sacramento, California. If your solar panel system was installed by SolarCity or Tesla, please visit our Tesla profile to leave your review.

Founded in 2015 and headquartered in Sacramento, California, Tesla Energy Solar Power provides alternative energy sources for home and business owners. The company offers solar energy systems for both small- and large-scale projects and claims to utilize vast expertise, proven methodology, and high-quality products.

Tesla Energy Solar Power aims to provide the lowest-cost solar panels in America, offering both a price match guarantee and a money-back guarantee.

SunPower Logo
#1 SunPower chevron_right
ADT Solar Logo
#2 ADT Solar chevron_right

The Good

• Free Evaluation
  • Superior Aesthetic
  • Financing Options
  • Warranty Coverage

Free Evaluation

Tesla Energy Solar Power provides complimentary site evaluations for potential customers. Once the site evaluation is complete, the company will provide the potential customer with a certified quote.

Superior Aesthetic

Some customers worry about how a solar system will look on their roof, but Tesla panels have a sleek look and maintain a low profile with no visible grid and a concealed edge. Panels have a black anodized aluminum alloy frame with black solar cells and backsheet. If you want to see how solar panels would look on your roof, you can visit Tesla's design studio online.

Solar roof tiles are another option to consider if you need to replace your roof or are building a new construction.

Financing Options

Tesla Energy Solar Power aims to provide its customers with cost-effective solar solutions. For those who may not be able to cover the entire cost of the system upfront, the company offers a variety of financing options, including options with no interest and options with no upfront cost.

Notably, Tesla Energy Solar Power will match a pricing quote for solar.

Warranty Coverage

All of Tesla Energy Solar Power's systems are backed by the company's Iron Clad Power Protection Guarantee. The company provides a 12-year inverter warranty, a 25-year performance guarantee and 100 percent system coverage. You can monitor your system's performance from your phone.

The corporate website does not include workmanship warranty information.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Outsourced Installations

Limited Availability

Tesla Energy Solar Power is headquartered in Sacramento, and the company appears to focus on the California market.

Outsourced Installations

Tesla Energy Solar Power states that it partners with a third party, Sunworks, for solar system installation. This may introduce communication or staffing hurdles that aren't as evident when companies hire installers in-house. However, Sunworks does appear to have a positive reputation within the solar industry.

The Bottom Line

Tesla Energy Solar Power has been in business for several years and offers free evaluations, financing options, and 25-year warranty coverage. However, the company appears to work with another company for the installation portion of the solar process, so you'll want to make sure you're made aware of installation details like the workmanship warranty (if applicable), projected completion timeline, and scheduling specifics.

View Best Solar Companies

1.7

Rick Colen Corona, CA

I would love to be able to review the product, but I can not seem to get them o to finish the installation. I signed up like everyone else, hoping to get a hassle-free experience. This has been a nightmare. They installed my panels after complaining for three weeks of no communication, and now I have 31 panels on my roof doing nothing. No one will respond when I ask for any updates from 3 different contacts. The sales guy was super helpful and knowledgeable, but that is where it all fell apart. For anyone looking to use them, I would look elsewhere. I get that there may be issues during a project, but all they have to do is keep people informed. Even if it was going to take an additional six months, it could be dealt with but do not have anyone reply to you is frustrating.

DavidT Las Vegas, NV

I decided to go with Tesla for a couple of reasons. 1, they were the lowest priced. 2, they handle all aspects of the system themselves. From manufacturing or sourcing equipment, to installation, to financing. Seemed like a good idea. Everything up to and including the initial installation was flawless, except for the email + call + text (yes, all 3) every day for the 14 days leading up to the install date. After install is when the real problems started. Prior to the City inspection, Tesla sent a tech to make sure everything was ready. He identified a couple of issues that could cause the inspection to fail. Tesla didn’t act upon this recommendation, and sure enough the inspection failed. Tesla came out to correct the issues, did so poorly, and the second inspection also failed. The system did pass on the third try. Wouldn’t be so bad, except I work from home. Every time Tesla had to come out, they turn my power off for however long. What they don’t tell you is someone needs to be home while the tech is there if any equipment is in the garage. So can’t work, and can’t go somewhere else to work. System passed inspection 6/2. Tesla website says 1-6 weeks to complete the permission to operate application and have the new meter installed by your power company, unless delayed by the power company for some reason. In mid-June I received an email from my power company saying they were ready to proceed, waiting on the application from Tesla. I forwarded this to Tesla. Their reply is ‘we have 90 days to complete this application’. I called my power company and asked if this is true. The rep I spoke to said the remainder of the application is less than 100 keystrokes, but must be completed by Tesla, since they opened the application. *All attempts to get Tesla to tell me why it takes 90 days to complete the application have been met with ‘we have 90 days’ – nothing further. Suddenly one day, my system stops working. The time was 12:00:00. Way too precise to be a coincidence in my book. I did the self-troubleshoot, to no avail. I turned the entire system off for a day to see if maybe it just got hot and needed to reset. No change. I called customer service, waited on hold, found out I don’t want customer service – I want Powerwall customer service. Called them. Went through the same troubleshoot process. Rep told me the system wasn’t communicating properly, and went into standby as an automatic safety precaution. We opened a service ticket, and she told me 7-14 calendar days for a service appointment. This was 7/15. No further communication from Tesla. I started calling on 8/3 to ask about the missed 14-day threshold I was given. I was then told I would have to wait 20 business days (from 2 weeks to 4 weeks). When I asked why, I was told a tech would need to ping my system to see if they could reset it from the office (which is exactly what we did on 7/15). After 2 more days and 3 more calls / texts / chats, Tesla finally agreed to give me a service appointment. BUT- I would need to use the Tesla app to schedule it. My Tesla app doesn’t have the option to schedule service, so I had to call again. The rep sent a message to the scheduling dept, and I got a call within a couple of hours. My date is 8/25. Another 3 weeks. Again, no explanation why it takes so long. I was told at one point that since I don’t have permission to operate, I was not a priority. I reminded them that this is because Tesla refuses to complete the application, not because of something I did or failed to do. It also isn’t because of the power company, who is sending me emails saying they are ready to go. No one I talk to is any help. I can’t get to a manager. I get random texts from Tesla that also don’t help. They did say they would move me up in the schedule if someone cancels. At 3 weeks for an appt, who’s going to cancel? At this point, my opinion is the appt for 8/25 should be for system removal, not service.

Amit Singh San Jose, CA

Tesla’s customer service is one of the WORST I have ever experienced. Mr ELON MUSK if you are reading this review you got to look into your customer service. It’s easy to criticize other people on your twitter feed as I have noticed. I bought a Tesla solar system for my house in dec 2021. I noticed in May 2022 that my system was not producing the kWh based on the system I installed. I contacted Tesla customer service via chat. I asked them to check regarding my system production. The chat agent mentioned everything was running great with my system after looking at my account. I have a 12.75 kw system and per Tesla customer service representative my system should produce 5-7 times my system. My Tesla app was only showing an average of 25 kWh production per day. After calling Tesla customer service and not getting a response from the customer service person even after following up multiple times. I am still waiting to hear back. HORRIBLE!! Do not go with this company if you are thinking of installing a solar system.

Adarsh Basavalingappa Fairport, NY

It has been over a year since placing the order. Until the order was placed the salespeople were very persistent and punctual. Installation was done in next 3 months. Debugging of faulty installation was abandoned after a couple of attempts. Was told to continue with permission to turn on stage while they continued maintenance. They got paid fully. They kept telling me they're waiting for permission from utility company. IT WAS A LIE. They consistently lied to me for about 6 months when they hadn't even submitted the paperwork to the utility company. After I started contacting utility company and questioned Tesla about no application being pending for my address, Tesla admitted to have not submitted any application. They submitted the application 6 months later while I had paid them and was also liable for the utility bill caused by Tesla's blatant negligence and fraud of Tesla. It has been 9+ months since the installation and there is still no end in sight. Tesla claims to have submitted the paperwork over 2 months ago and if that was the case I should have received the approval by now. The project coordinator from Tesla keeps changing and many of them don't even bother to check on the status and when asked they just provide boilerplate responses which are mostly lies. I have requested copies of all the communication between Tesla and my utility company on by behalf and yet to receive them. Recommendation: use a local contractor even if they cost a little more. At least you'll have a working system. Do not sign off on the full payment until you get permission to turn on.

Alex M. Brentwood, CA

Beware! Do not buy solar panels from Tesla. The installation (solar city) was amazing but this review is for Tesla customer service. Over 2 months our panels have been installed but power not turned on. You cant even call to speak to a live person anymore. I have never had such awful customer service and spent so much time and energy just trying to move things along but with no luck. If you want to talk to someone live you get a call back scheduled a week later. Awful.

M. Lami al-Atasi Danville, CA

after I ordered the panel. they said the system will be installed within a week. it took the 25 days. they came more than 6 times and canceled more than 3 appointments. 2 times arrived and do not have the right parts. 21 days elapsed after final payment and have not contacted the utility company. I called trying to push them to contact the utility company. billing depart sends me to the advisers people and the advisers send me back to billing. By now i should have my system is connected to the utility company, commissioned and running but it is not . and I do NOT know when that happening

Amber Hanlon Cape Coral, FL

Do not give Tesla your money! I bought solar panels for our home through Tesla. A coworker did so a few weeks later through a different company. He told me that his company said Tesla was terrible for install which I shrugged off figuring its Tesla. How could Tesla be terrible?? We quickly learned just how that was not only accurate but an understatement at that. Tesla has ignored my calls, emails, and voicemails. They have also filed for incorrect permits then minimized our complaints. We were promised many things that never came to fruition. After months of trying to get a manager involved, I FINALLY got a call from a supervisor. After again explaining everything he provided a $200 discount! That is .6% off our $32,000 job. He then told me normally they only offer a $35 gift card if that! This is after I have had to call our electric company myself to get install scheduled, spent over 3 weeks waiting for a manager call back that was supposed to occur within 72 hours, informer Tesla their first permit was filed for the wrongly sized unit, informed them the permit was issued, and spent hours on the phone to try to get this project on track. I could not be more surprised, disappointed, and aggravated with how our experience has been but it becomes more clear by the day that this is the norm for Tesla. Finally, we spoke with someone from Tesla who promised us IN WRITING that they would issue a $250 refund once we paid our invoice in full. I paid, then notified her so she could process the refund. I received a call a few days later from her saying they were not going to honor that and it was her mistake. That was a contractual agreement which was the only reason we paid the invoice in full. While they may have a decent product, they also think it is acceptable to promise one thing to get money then break that promise. It is unacceptable and illegal! While they may be cheaper than most, save the frustration and get solar elsewhere! I wish we would have.

BeaC Oakland, CA

Tesla Support unscrupulous. Worst business practices. Beware. Document everything. Fabricators. Have never had such a terrible experience with the entire support personnel. Can't believe that a lawsuit has not taken them down. Over four months and still do not have the repair completed. There is a pattern of doing the minimum of almost nothing so that you keep having to schedule more and more appointments two weeks out each time and nothing gets fixed. They will cancel, or show up at the very end of the time frame of when they were supposed be on site and then leave without doing anything five minutes later. They will lie and say that you declined to have any more work performed. They will come and say that they are there to find out what the problem with the system is. Oh DUH, you have known what the problem is since four months ago. Then they say that they have only come to get warranty information. WHAT THE WHAT. Yep, four months with the minimum of nothing done, if that can happen, they have discovered how to do that and are expert at it. Yep, they are the best at the minimum of nothing accomplished. I quit making payments on the lease as I refuse to pay for less than what I agreed to. Plus, I take offense when I am made to work so hard for free, trying to get Tesla to perform, be responsible, and do its' job. I am wondering if it can be considered elderly abuse. Taking advantage of an elderly woman. It's really disgusting.

Bruce Watson

We signed a purchase agreement last fall (2021) for a 15.72 kW system with 3 Powerwalls. Installers arrived with the wrong hardware and I naively assumed this was just a minor setback. Over 3 months later we still have no system installed, no target date, and a rep who will not return emails. My advice is to go with a reputable company with a proven track record of execution. Tesla Energy is not that company yet.

Chung Emily San Jose, CA

How do I file a compliant against Tesla energy? Our solar was never turn on for the past two year due to their poor customer service. Now, they refused to refund or credit our. account. We have been paying for the service or energy that was neither performed nor produced. I called the CSM million times. They told me they. can't escalate the issue and we have to just accept whatever they have decided. We paid over 2K. This is unfair and absurd.

Michael Bonamarte Newtown, CT

I want to start off by saying was a huge fan of Tesla and there mission. I own a Model 3 which I love and feel good about supporting a company who conceptually is trying to do good for the planet. Best laid plans that are not properly executed can be disasters! I gave my deposit for the installation Tesla Large solar panel system September 2020 and after a year + my system was finally installed 5 weeks ago. Over all the installation went well with the exception that they forgot the "gateway" this device that lets me and Tesla see what's going on with the system. Its equivalent to driving blind! A week after the install I had to start calling the customer service department to find out what was going on. They knew nothing about the gateway not being installed and I was assured that this would be taken care of immediately. 5 more call all with the same empty promises and lies I was even given a fictitious FedEx #. Every time I would ask to speak to a supervisor I would be put on a very lengthy hold then transferred to another customer service rep who could do nothing. There is a purposeful and deliberate stone wall preventing a customer from speaking to any upper level management at Tesla Solar. I have never received a call back from anyone in management, which tells me either the messages are never sent to them or they just don't care. Very, very disappointing! Also though I would add that for a company that is technically labeled a technology company how terrible there customer portal is. There have been issue after issue of the wrong information being displayed (very important contractual information) and I have brought it to their attention and been told they don't know how to fix it. This is completely unacceptable! I know It's not going to happen but I'll ask again anyway; I would very much appreciate a call from some one in upper management. Show me you care and prove me wrong!

Marc Miner Long Beach, NY

The customer service is lousy. Took close to one year to have work completed. The project was changed from having 3 power walls to 2 and yet they raised the price. Impossible to speak to anyone with any knowledge or authority. They just tell you to go to the website and read the contract.

Sharon Aigner Culver City, CA

worst customer experience ever. Promsied savings and my electric costs doubled. Take a long time to provide service. System is highly automated so when and if you do get a person they are just reading from a script and cant accomidate you in any useful way. Run away!

Jennifer O'Keefe Kirkland, WA

We had solar installed at the time by Solar City. Tesla bought them. For the first 6 yrs they where great. We have never had any issue ie anything break until NOW...We have been without solar now going on 3month. The issue is the Solar box "inverter" broke down stop working...long story we need a New inverter. It has been a nightmare trying to get a hold of Tesla OMG....when you call customer service expect to wait for a good hour..no lie...I got a real person after waiting on the phone for hour..only to have the person on Tesla end not able to hear me...Where we live in San Luis Obispo the Manger that covers the Center Coast who goes by the name "Dog" is totally useless...His Voice mail box of course is "Full"...when he did get back to us a text, He told us to contact Customer Care! Really. we already have done that twice....All I would say NEVER GO WITH TESLA ON SOLAR...IT IS A NIGHTMARE, THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE/CARE/ & MANGER OF THE CENTRAL COAST IS AWFUL! WHAT IS SAD I OWN A TESLA....

Amber Malin Aurora, CO

We have had our panels for 9 years, installed originally with solar city. Tesla took over a while ago. For the last 3 months we have had nothing but problems. We have have four technicians out, and today we had to schedule a 5th. Because the system is not working correctly we are being hit with massive “True Up” bills. We schedule tech appointments for when we are off, and Tesla reschedules for earlier days and times which means we have to take off work. We spend an hour on hold to speak with someone who says we need a technician, we wait days for the scheduler to reach out to us, more days/weeks for the appointment, and the. The technicians spend HOURS here and nothing gets fixed. We will be having our fifth visit in three months next week.

Gary Maxwell ,

My solar system was installed by Solar City which was purchased by Tesla. My rating of one star if focused on the support provided by Tesla. I have had to replace at least two inverters. Each time it takes a minimum of two months to be up and running again. Getting confirmation about delivery dates or status requires multiple calls. Often a return call or email is promised. Sometimes that happens sometimes it does not. I cannot comment on installation, which may be great. The issue is that there are years ahead for service and that is not a pretty prospect. Each and every person I have talked to have been very pleasant and seem to try to assist me. I question whether or not they have the kind of backup they need so that they can honestly deal with clients. They must take a lot of grief from client clients if my experience is similar to others. There is some sort of compensation for the system not being able to deliver the power that was promised in the contract, but I doubt that it comes near the value of the lost production of energy.

Reply from Tesla Energy Solar Power

We are not affiliated with Solarcity/Tesla Motors and function as a completely separate, non-related entity. For your convenience, I have provided you the resources below for the correct company. Here is the Yelp and webpage for Solarcity/Tesla : Yelp Website Facebook Please note our website and Facebook Website Facebook

Jan. 15th, 2021

DC Gallock Henderson, NV

Tesla has THE WORST customer service I have ever experienced. My husband and I closed on a house May 1 that came with Tesla Solar Panels. We have been trying to get the account transferred and set up in our name for almost three months. When I call Tesla, the only way to speak with a human being is to stay on hold for 30+ minutes. I've placed at least 10 calls and sent at least a dozen emails. NO ONE EVER RETURNS MY CALLS OR RESPONDS TO EMAILS. A month ago I was able to get someone on the line who said a first bill would be generated by July 1. Today is July 19 and NOTHING. I tried calling the other day and after 17 minutes on hold I hung up. Even their corporate headquarters phone lines go round and round and you can never get anyone on the phone. Why do I care if I don't get a bill right away??? Because I was originally told when I do finally get set up and billed, it will be for all months that THEY delayed so as of right now I own 4 months of payments.

Reply from Tesla Energy Solar Power

Hello, we are not affiliated with Solarcity/Tesla Motors and function as a completely separate, non-related entity. For your convenience, I have provided you the resources below for the correct company. Here is the Yelp and webpage for Solarcity/Tesla : Yelp Website Facebook Please note our website and Facebook Website Facebook

Dale Nuce Seattle, WA

Tesla works great when it is working but if it breaks down you are out of luck, been down 7 months now with no end in site 4 service calls...they came out once still not working

UnHappy customer Mission Viejo, CA

Supper unhappy with this company! We are stuck in a 20 year contract, our panel stopped working over a year ago. We reported it right away. We are still waiting for our solar power to work. We waited over a year for the panels to be replaced, only to find out that the inverter also needed to be replaced. They said it would be ordered and changed within a few days that was three weeks ago. We have been paying for solar power every month, and paying the electric company since we are not getting any solar. Super frustrated.

Reply from Tesla Energy Solar Power

Hello, Was this Tesla Motor/Solar City that installed your system?

Feb. 9th, 2020

Srgiohdez Reseda, CA

Sales rep got me all excited about getting tesla panels, I disclosed to them that the type of roof I have was asphalt before hand and that I was in the process on getting a new roof. They sent their contractor to inspect my roof and attic. He was there for about 10 min just to tell me that my roof wasn't qualify for solar panels. I told him to how can he tell when he didn't even bother to go on top of my roof. He responded by telling me that they are not allowed to on a asphalt type of roof....the next day I called Sunpower, they qualified my roof with no problem....Thx SunPower

v j Hicksville, NY

Don't ever install Tesla solar, its nightmare service they offer, very bad customer support. If you still not understand get ready for troubles.

John Santa Cruz, CA

I got a loan for Tesla Solar Panels after 6 months they still have not been connected to PGE. MOSAIC is now billing me for Panels that produce zero energy. ...

Hello John, Did Tesla Motors/Solar City install your project? Thank you

Feb. 13th, 2020

Charles Donahue San Francisco, CA

I signed an agreement in November and it's been almost three months and still no video when this project will be submitted for permitting.

Harry goodman Owings Mills, MD

Customer service is non existent, don’t do business with them

Reply from Tesla Energy Solar Power

Hello Harry, we do not do business in Massachusetts and are not affiliated with Solarcity/Tesla Motors and function as a completely separate, non-related entity. For your convenience, I have provided you the resources below for the correct company. Here is the Yelp and webpage for Solarcity/Tesla : Yelp Website Facebook Please note our website and Facebook Website Facebook