Sunnova

8.5

LAST UPDATED: February 1st, 2023

Since 2012, Sunnova has been providing solar power and energy storage to residents and business owners across the country. The company offers a solar industry-leading 25-year service commitment on all solar panel installations, with an additional 10-year roof warranty. Meanwhile, the Sunnova Adaptive Home solution integrates smart technology into the solar installation by optimizing energy sources for the unique energy needs of the homeowner. The solar service provider offers a number of financing options, but conditions do apply.

The Good

• Flexible Payment Options
  • Helpful Moving Options
  • Wide State Availability

Flexible Payment Options

Sunnova offers a number of payment options to help customers lower their dependence on the power grid:

The company's EZ Own option gives homeowners the opportunity to purchase a system without any upfront costs and pay a fixed amount each month for a 25-year term, which is substantially less than the average electric bill. At the end of the term, the customer will own the solar power system.

Sunnova's EZ Pay PPA is another diverse financing option that only requires customers to pay for the energy produced by the system at a flat monthly price. There is also a standard lease option available, during which the customer will essentially be renting the panels from Sunnova.

Helpful Moving Options

If a customer within Sunnova's residential solar market decides to move while under contract, Sunnova offers a number of options: the customer can transfer the service agreement over to the new owner, pre-pay the remainder of the contract and transfer it to the new owner, or move the system to a new address. This is especially beneficial for homeowners who are less permanent.

Wide State Availability

Not only does Sunnova install quality panels, but the solar company also provides backup battery storage in the event of a power outage in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Nevada, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas.

The company's renewable energy services are also available in the Virgin Islands, which means many consumers have the option to go solar with Sunnova.

The Bad

• Long Contract Terms
  • No Buyout Option for Leases

Long Contract Terms

Sunnova requires a 25-year service agreement, which is higher than the average 20-year agreement employed by most other solar energy companies. While this can still lead toward a path to ownership, longer-termed solar loans are often accompanied by relatively higher interest rates. Customers should get in touch with a Sunnova employee for specific terms and conditions prior to signing a contract.

Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a production guarantee for the PPA option, which can be detrimental if the system isn't producing as much as it should be during the length of the contract.

No Buyout Option For Leases

The company's lease options do not include a buyout option for the Sunnova customer, which creates a disadvantage for those who may need to move while under contract.

The Bottom Line

Sunnova has a simple mission: provide competitive solar solutions across several states and offers a variety of financing options, including cash purchase, a solar lease and PPA. The solar company also provides moving options to help customers establish energy independence.

However, the company's contract terms are longer than industry average. Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a buyout option for leases. If you're still unsure whether this company is right for you, read below for verified Sunnova Solar reviews.

View Best Solar Companies

Message from
Sunnova

At Sunnova, our mission is simple — to power energy independence. And we are deeply passionate about providing homeowners with a real choice when it comes to powering their homes with cleaner, more sustainable and affordable energy solutions. We are equally committed to creating trusted, long-term relationships with our customers, as they are the very heart of our business.

Every day, our customers welcome us, in very real ways, onto and into their homes, and this relationship begins with our trusted sales, installation, and service dealers. While there are many things that set Sunnova apart from other energy providers, one of the biggest is our dealer business model. We work with a very select group of established local solar installers who have comprehensive knowledge of their markets, enabling us to provide the highest quality of service to our customers.

Sunnova offers options for every homeowner to help customers gain energy independence and lower their annual utility costs. Sunnova customers in most states enjoy guaranteed energy production, system monitoring, and a best-in-class 25-year warranty.

If you’re ready to take the first step, learning more about the financial impact that solar will have on your household in your area, Sunnova is the perfect place to start.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

3.9

Toniette Duncan Hackensack, NJ

When we signed up for solar panel service with Momentum Solar in 2017, who was acting as an agent and with the authority to represent Sunnova as our impending solar energy provider and financier. In line with this business agreement between Momentum Solar and Sunnova, Momentum provided a solar panel removal warranty. On January 20, 2023, it was brought to my attention that Momentum Solar and Sunnova are no longer business partners and have severed ties. Moreover, because Momentum Solar and Sunnova have severed business ties, the solar panel removal warranty will not be honored. According to Sunnova, we will be responsibility for paying a contractor that you must approve to provide the work or removing and replacing our solar panels which could range as much as 8,000 or more. Sunnova is attempting to pass on this expense to their customers. Additionally, Sunnova has stated that the company who will perform the work must be approved by them. We are asking for the following remedy for Sunnova to honor the Momentum Solar Panel Removal Warranty to have our panels removed and replaced at no cost. This condition was included as a benefit to the customer Sunnova and Momentum are both listed on the contract. There is language in the contract that refers both Sunnova and Momentum as working together. Company BBB rating is C- with numerous complaints filed, not accredited. Will be impossible to sale our home to a potential buyer, Sunnova reputation will not be a good selling point. Stay away from selecting this company!!

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Toniette Duncan, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would it be possible for you to send us information to [email protected] so we can investigate this issue? We would only need a valid phone number of the customer or a system ID. Please know that we take this matter seriously and look forward resolving this for you. *DMS*

Jan. 23rd, 2023

Randy Stutz Brighton, CO

I started trying to get my Solar panel system on my roof serviced in Dec 2021. In April 2022, a tech came out and looked at the panels and told me there were 3 broken panels. He did not know when he could get replacements. In June 2022, I called to check on the progress, and was told they had no ticket on my panels, and they would create one. I was assigned a Issue Resolution Specialist, and they some how got someone to come out. Other than that the Issue Resolution Specialist was worthless, she never answered the phone and never responded to emails. In August 2022 a tech showed up no ladder and would not physically touch any of the equipment. He said our panel was bad, but it was reporting. I got frustrated and posted another bad review, and I got a new Issue Resolution Specialist, sh was about the same, call her leave a message and no response. Email her and NO reponse. It took 2 more months to get him back out with a ladder to LOOK at the panels on the roof. New panels were ordered In early November 2022 the CEO tweeted something about their "Great Customer Service". My chastising disagreement with that assessment, got me assigned a Senior Issue Resolution Specialist. He calls every 2 weeks, and in Early January, he told me I had a repair appt on January 17th, between 10:00am and 1:00pm. No Show and No call. They are the worst Company you will ever run across

Reply from Sunnova

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We are currently reviewing your account and will have one of our agents reach out to you shortly to address your concerns. Please know we take this matter seriously and look forward to addressing your concerns. *DMS*

Jan. 18th, 2023

Thomas L Kenyon Roosevelt, NY

I am an existing customer of Sunnova, and I haven ot been happy with this company from the beginning 1) The sales person that visited my home told be that my electricity bill will not be over $ 97.00 per month 2) I am unable to sell my home now since the buyer is obviously much smarter than I am, read the contract and was not interested in transferring the lease. Every time I get someone on the phone they are less than helpful, they all must be from a small south American village, therefore not having any understanding of what I am trying to explain, Almost like speaking to a wooden dummy on a comedians lap. All I wanted was to help save the environment by going solar, and now I have an albatross on my home.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Thomas L Kenyon, we are sorry to hear that. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at?*XR*

Dec. 7th, 2022

Greg Paulson Fort Lauderdale, FL

Been having 2 panels low on production since June. Sunnova tells you that there is no date, no estimated date they can come out, you just have to wait. After multiple calls which did no good, they finally sent somebody out mid November to only trade places of existing microinverters to verify it was not the panels. Now that the replacement microinverters arrived at sunnova, I am given date they will come out and do the swap. In fact, I am not confident they won’t end up elsewhere. Today I called to get an appointment date for installation and am told “no estimated time frame,” “as soon as possible,” “we understand your frustration,” etc. So now we are 6 months out and no end in sight. And now they have MY system’s microinverters. Today they told me there is no phone number or extension for any manager or supervisor. They will tend to it “as soon as possible.” I literally cannot speak to any supervisor or manager. Only customer service reps trained to show some empathy and use some comfort cliches. I am way beyond that. Warranty should not mean 6 months (and I fear much longer) to resolve an issue. My system is still less than a year old. I am stuck with a provider that is either unstaffed or cutting corners. If you look on BBB website you will find very similar complaints. Now I get to sit, wait, and hope they come out here and don’t use my microinverters on another project.

Reply from Sunnova

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We are currently reviewing your account and will have one of our agents reach out to you shortly to address your concerns. Please know we take this matter seriously and look forward to addressing your concerns.HV

Dec. 6th, 2022

Somjira Namarsa San Antonio, TX

Sunnova does not have a streamline process. We received email from one person but when we call back, it’s usually 3 other people we have to talk to who may or may not be in the loop of the information discussed previously. Long waits, weeks, to receive call back or updates. By far, this was one of the worst company to communicate with in my life!

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Somjira Namarsa, we apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at? *DMS*

Dec. 19th, 2022

Bad experience Hacienda Heights, CA

Jeremiah great in every aspect the rest of the team garbage many lies example saying the wait was because of safety labels being sent found out by installer they have them on truck at all times then saying installing got hurt wanted to wait another month when a got a lawyer to terminate contract someone was out next day horrible 3 mont experience would not recommend anyone to do business with this group Jeremiah did everything he said he would do installers great the rest of the team horrible customer experience

Reply from Sunnova

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us a private message with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? We'll look into this right away. Thank you.HV

Nov. 23rd, 2022

CAJ Cassville, NJ

SUNNOVA IS HORRIBLE IN EVERY WAY. For starters, it took them 6 months to set up the system and get it running at our house. Their customer service is the WORST, and they NEVER return calls. All they say is, "I'm sorry, somebody will call you back in 24-48 hours"... and they NEVER do. I had to reschedule an appointment once and they never told their NJ technician, and he STILL came. What a shame. Their salesman LIED to us in 2014 and said the cost to remove and reinstall the panels in order to get a new roof would always be $500. I knew nothing about solar at that time, so that seemed normal. Now in 2022 they are telling us it is $6,350. Actually, in the past two months they have told us it would cost $4,000, $4,800, $6,100, and now up to the $6,350. If I knew that, I would have waited until AFTER I got my new roof to convert to solar. I can certainly understand the price rising from $500, but now it is borderline extortion. I filed a complaint with the BBB, only to see that Sunnova Energy already has 470+ outstanding complaints as of October 2022. IF I knew in 2014 what my Sunnova experience would be like in 2022, I would NEVER have answered the door when their salesman rang my doorbell. STAY AWAY FROM SUNNOVA ENERGY... YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU DON'T.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello CAJ, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. ^AG

Oct. 24th, 2022

Cristian Chavez Los Angeles, CA

The sales representative and his supervisor lied to me about the tax credit I was supposedly going to get. Frauds !!

1 day ago

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Cristian Chavez, we apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? *DMS*

Feb. 1st, 2023

Guillermo Recalde Dallas, TX

I have had solar for about 2 months. My energy independence last month was at 18%. I do not foresee the system producing the guaranteed 85%. This is clearly not going to work out.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Guillermo Recalde, we are sorry to hear that. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at?*DMS*

Dec. 13th, 2022

Kim Contratto Los Lunas, NM

At first things were great, then my flat roof was leaking because Sunnova put concrete caps on the panels to hold them down, 30 pounds each. With 3 of them (90 pounds) every 4-5 feet the roof began to fall in. The caps created indentures in the roof creating pools of water under them which deteriorated the roof. Eventually my ceiling and walls had water running them, my ceiling is held up by 2x4's so it won't cave in. I have been dealing with Sunnova for almost 3 years to resolve this issue, but they just drag it out, Sunnova's engineer OK'd the roof for the panels, so Sunnova knows they are responsible for the damage. Sunnova had one of their people come (twice) and look at the roof and agreed with everything I have said about why this happened; he made a report. I had my own inspector look at the roof and agreed that the panels should not have been there, Sunnova has his report. All Sunnova say's since is they are still reviewing the situation. Sunnova attached panels to an outbuilding screwing them to studs but did not do the same process on my home, their person who came out agreed with my questioning on this.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Kim Contratto, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. ^AG

beatriz quintero Phoenix, AZ

Im very unhappy with customer service been provided to me. We request a transfer agreement on July 27th, to close the purchase of a house. She told us it will be ready between 3-5 business day. Which that’s false and continue to call for an update to find out she put the wrong email address. When I ask to confirm the email address and still have it wrong! I even gave them a different email address or ask there any other way to sign the transfer agreement. Yet nothing resolved.. I have called multiple times and request a manager which they said manager will call me back in 24hr. That was false. Called again request to send to different email address. Still no response with the email. I’m very unhappy with the customer service been provided to me. The sell have sign their part of paperwork on 8/14/22 I haven’t received my paperwork yet. Keep getting different customer service with false information. One guy suggested to get a copy of the seller transfer agreement and send to customer service email. Called back to make sure they got the email and I was told that’s not the right way. Customer service gave me false information again. I’m so frustrated that I can’t get a correct answer or a transfer send to my email! There no manager or supervisor (customer service claims) everything been recorded as they claim but nothing been resolved. So if there a manager out there feel free to contact me.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello beatriz quintero, we apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at? *LS*

anh tran Billerica, MA

Everyone who want to work with them for a long term, be aware of their contract before signing. Before signing I confirmed again and again with sale person that i only have to pay 85.01 monthly fixed rate for 25 years. With that confirmation, i believed that i would make payment same price at no changes within 25 years. However, they charged me for $146.69. When i talk to them about the bills, the agent from sunnova told me that they charged base on the production, it mean if the system produce more, i have to pay more and if the production can't produce any kwh, i still have to pay 85.01 minimum. At that point, what does 85.01 dollars represent for? So why at the beginning there was nobody told me about if the system produce more than than the kwh, i have to pay more, nobody mentioned the system will be produce more than 5000kwh and the price would be gone up larger than $85. I contacted to them and there was no resolution for my situation. It ends up like that

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Anh Tran, we are happy to help. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. ^AG

Aug. 11th, 2022

Wyatt Peoria, AZ

We bought a house in April 2022 that had a Sunnova solar system installed. Per their agreement, the sellers of the house had to pay them off, meaning we own the system after signing. It is now August 2022 and we still do not have an account on file with Sunnova. We (and the sellers) have started the process to switch accounts months ago. The worst part is, I have to keep calling Sunnova and then they ask for more and more stuff; they are never proactive and reach out to us. I just called again today and they told me that despite submitting everything required three weeks ago (finally), the transfer still hasn't gone through and it will take longer. So now I have to wait an unknown amount of time (because they wouldn't give me a time frame) all while having zero idea if my system is even functional. I am thankful I won't have to send a penny to these people, but I am terrified of the day I ever need service because I can already tell it'll take weeks. I highly recommend looking into another company.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Wyatt, we are sorry to hear that. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at?*LS*

Aug. 9th, 2022

Anil reddy Liberty Hill, TX

Initial commissioning took 6 months. MySunnova app is laggy, doesn’t show real time energy produced on a day. Expected vs actual energy production is a lot different.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Anil reddy, we apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at? *LG*

Dec. 28th, 2022

Bonnie Weber Pennsville, NJ

Electric bill was almost $500. I called trinity. I said my bill is suppose to be $92.00 per month. They said oh sorry you misunderstood!!! I didn’t misunderstand that’s what we were told.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Bonnie Weber, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would it be possible for you to send us information to [email protected] so we can investigate this issue? We would only need a valid phone number of the customer or a system ID. Please know that we take this matter seriously and look forward resolving this for you. *DMS*

Nov. 30th, 2022

Hill Flora TX

I was sold a system that was to be capable of producing 80% of my yearly usage. In reality I can’t produce but 59% of my needs in a month of very little electrical needs. I’m getting no response of this problem.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Hill Flora, we are sorry to hear you been having issue with your solar system. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you?*DMS*

Nov. 14th, 2022

Daniel Goncalves Trumbull, CT

I have had Sunnova for over 3 years now, trust me you do not want to be apart of this club. We have not not been able to produce solar since spring time we have reached out and emailed over a dozen times with no response than Adriel G in there resolutions department assured me we would get this resolved that was 5 weeks ago and he has yet to return a phone call or email

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Daniel Goncalves, we apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at? *LS*

Oct. 4th, 2022

Diane Union, NJ

After Sunnova returned my call, regarding the length of time for my closing nothing changed. All information was submitted to them with confirmation they received, which they denied. If I hear after each piece of information sent , it will take 3-5 days to review I’m going to scream. All information started on 7/28/22 with ALL representatives giving all wrong information. Tired of hearing, I’m sorry and will expedite. Which is never done, as I’m still waiting for this incompetent company to get the paperwork done. Shame on you!!! Extremely dissatisfied.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Diane, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. ^AG

Aug. 29th, 2022

TheLarz Voorhees Township, NJ

Salesperson from Trinity told us he would stay on top of everything. That didn’t happen internal people at Trinity said they would do things that never happened. I got involved with the local utility company to get us a new meter and get turned on. Even with it being turned on we have no idea if it’s doing anything because your app is telling us to zero. I was told I would get some kind of login for an app called “ my solar edge” . That didn’t happen. The only thing that happened was I pay $15,000 for a new roof.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello TheLarz, we are sorry to hear you been having issue with your solar system. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at?*LS*

Aug. 25th, 2022

Kristen Kozatek Rehoboth, MA

Absolutely horrible customer service. I have never come across customer service this horrible in my life. My husband and I have tried using the portal and have spent numerous hours calling Sunnova to try and get something resolved, and still nothing. This is not just a customer ranting. This is a person sending other people out there a warning of what they will be dealing with if they choose this company for their solar. This has interfered with our everyday work lives, and we have lost money due to their lack of help. I DO NOT recommend.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Kristen Kozatek, we are sorry to hear that. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at?*LS*

William Frederick Cape May, NJ

I am tired of the run around I get from Sunnova. I get estimated readings 7 or 8 days straight I send a e-mail and they get fixed(?) I have estimated readings from months passed that still have estimated readings. But I am told my system is working fine ,why then the estimated readings?? Sunnova does not have an answer they blame the weather or anything else they can think of … This company does not even earn one star, maybe a -2stars Sure wish someone could help with this issue Bill Frederick VERY DISSATISFIED SUNNOVA CUSTOMER

Reply from Sunnova

Hello William Frederick, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID?**MV

Aug. 17th, 2022

Michael G Indio, CA

BUYER BEWARE!!! I purchased a new construction home that included a Sunnova PV solar system. While the home was being built, their customer service called with annoying frequency (it was under construction, so they had no information to pass); if I didn’t answer the call (I have a job), they would insist, calling sometimes hourly until I picked up and listened to them reciting their scripted remarks. After we took possession of the home, the frequency continued, though the message changed—awaiting permission to operate from your utility company…” However, they stopped calling with that regularity just before the 90-day mark, when they sent the paperwork to request permission to operate…yes, it took 90 days for them to prepare the form. Then, they went silent. When I called to get an update, they started fabricating stories. One time I called, they said they that everything was ready and they were just waiting for final permission to operate. On another call, they said that their inspector had been out and there was a note about a placard missing from the system (I have security cameras and it had been nearly 2 months since the last visit of a Sunnova person)--I asked which placard was missing, then while on the phone, I went to my system and read that placard to the rep and every other one posted there (about 10-12 in total)--then, I went to an earlier section of the community to look at the placards on their systems which had been active for months to compare with mine and none were missing. The tech said that there should be nothing preventing my system from being active in the next 1-2 business days. Hearing nothing, I called again and was told that they had no record of a missing placard or of my call 2 days earlier, and that they were still waiting for the electric company inspection. Finally, I called the electric company myself, and learned that Sunnova was informed more than a month earlier that irrigation valves had been incorrectly placed, preventing them from permitting us to activate the system; the electric company forwarded me a copy of their email to Sunnova informing them of the issue. When I called Sunnova, they started the placard story again. I told the representative what the electric company had told me and she changed her story, then said that she wasn't supposed to discuss this with homeowners because it was between Sunnova and the electric company. At that point I reminded her that they were working on my behalf, that she was misinformed to think that I wasn't permitted to be informed about THE SYSTEM I PURCHASED FROM THEM, and demanded to speak to her supervisor. In the end, I coordinated with my builder to correct the placement of my irrigation valves (and the irrigation valves for the other 18 homes built in my phase of our development) and was granted permission to operate within 2 hours of submitting photos showing that the problem had corrected. Sunnova did absolutely NOTHING to resolve the issue and had never contacted the builder to tell them that there was an issue; they had their $27k from my installation and didn't care whether my system was ever turned on. Bottom Line: DO NOT BUY SOLAR FROM SUNNOVA!!! You'd be better off buying the panels on your own and hiring people from the parking lot of your local box store to install them--you'd have the same level of service, but at least you wouldn't have paid top dollar for it! If you are stuck with them for whatever reason, don't trust a word they say, speak to the electric company yourself, and push them or they won't move.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Michael, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. +EC

Aug. 1st, 2022

Robert Oldak McKees Rocks, PA

There should be zero star option. Worst company to deal ever with. I have system installed by Suntuity, who is also their warranty service provider and they buddy-buddy to to put customers in a black hole. It took Suntuity over a year to make system working after putting everything in place. However the backup battery was not working as I found out during power outage end of March. Going back and forth with Suntuity and not getting anywhere, I contacted Sunnova on April 18 to let them know that the system is not fully operational. Regardless, completely ignoring me, they started charging, no number of calls or emails made them to stop. They said they will give me a credit once they determine the problem. After number of emails and phone calls on June 24 they finally setup the service visit 7am-10am. On the very same day I checked my account on the portal and it said 1-3pm. I called them and they said indeed it is the latter one. I told them that I will not be able to be there, and I will be back home at 2pm. It didn't matter, tech showed up 1:15pm, didn't wait, and I was told later that it was too late to contact him. After way more aggravation, took them 1 month to reschedule the visit. You can't do it on the spot, they need to contact management. Today is the day (July 25), tech didn't show up, they have no clue, or contact with the tech, their solution is to inform management. Moreover, they will not call me back, I was told to call to find out, and can't have a phone number to manager. In the mean time they refuse ti give me any credit. If you go with Sunnova, expect to pay and be treated like you don't exist.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Robert Oldak, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. +EC

Jul. 26th, 2022

simon d guardiola Clovis, CA

The end result was horrible! I was told that my bill rate would stay the same . That has not been the case! I now receive two bills! The one I always receive at the current flat rate of $195 per month to increase at approximately 2.9% annually. And now I receive a second usage bill monthly at over $225 per month, over doubling my cost! I tried calling your office to talk to a person in charge. The call was returned but I was in a meeting so, we set a call back time for the following day. The call never came. I am very dissatisfied with whole operation of your company and feel that I have been lied to from the instalation to billing!!!

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Simon D. Guardiola, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. ^AG

Jul. 25th, 2022

PJS Washington, DC

DO NOT LEASE SOLAR PANELS FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I'm 3 years into a 25 year lease contract with this company. The sales rep convinced me that the way this works is that at the end of my 25 year lease WE WOULD OWN THE SYSTEM. He told me that. He told my sister that about her system. He told my parents that about their system. The lease agreement states that the panels will be REMOVED if we do not choose to renew after 25 years! Also, I don't remember the logic about this.... but the rate is set to increase every single year regardless of what the utility company is doing. So you're STUCK with their high rate at a certain point. You have panels that are going to degrade year by year, but you have to pay MORE year by year to lease them. Finally, if I sell the house... I AM STUCK unless the buyer is willing to assume the rest of the lease agreement. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE RAW DEAL!

Reply from Sunnova

Hello PJS, we are happy to help. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. ^ LS

Jun. 17th, 2022

Michael K Ross Corona, CA

Customer service here is the absolute worst. I have been trying to resolve my inability to log in to the customer portal. I am in the process of getting a Heloc in order to make some home improvements at our home. I have been trying to resolve the portal issue and after contacting the customer service (joke) number I was told to call back in 36 hours and it would be resolved. After 48 hours I provided the case number and it was still not resolved and the resolution was to call back in 24 hours as the person on the line said I have to send in a request to fix it, the same thing I was told 48 hours prior. The only thing holding up the Heloc is Sunnova just like they were the only ones holding up the sale of our home. We have been held hostage by their poor customer service too many times. Whatever you do, I am literally beggin you, go with another company. You will regret signing the lease the day you sign it.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Michael K Ross, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. ^AG

Jun. 6th, 2022

Edmond G Edwards Jr Temecula, CA

Do not purchase through this company or their affiliates - absolutely the worst experience I've had on a major purchase. I recommend Solar, just not through Sunnova. Just a few reasons why I feel the way I do. We purchased Solar (Nov 2021) installed May 2022, Originally they wanted to replace the underlayment only where the panels would be, that started my nightmare. They wound up doing the entire mounting plane, I still do not like the roofing work done on my house. Workers have no respect for your house or property. They broke tiles, replace tiles and I still have broke tiles on my roof, they left a mess, I had to clean up. Now way I'd recommend this company to anyone. I have a Solar Edge Inverter (good thing) I can't access the real time data it gives which is (ridiculous). The Sunnova app, is absolutely useless, no realtime data - that's what they want you to have "no information" on your solar system. I'm still trying to resolve why the removed my 125amp service breaker, and installed a 100amp breaker, they removed my 40amp solar breaker which was installed when the system was completed, and removed the 40amp and installed a 35amp breaker. Waiting on our signing bonus (not certain) when or if we'll receive it. Be careful, they'll tell you no need to be present for inspections, or when the install the system, you better stay home like I did, they try to cut corners even in your presents. The system is over priced, now I know "don't be deceived" I was. I am not happy with the entire process or service provided thus far.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Edmond, thank you for reaching. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send us a private message to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone where we can reach you? We'll look into this right away. Thank you.^JD

May. 19th, 2022

Vicente Alvarado Bakersfield, CA

I have been sent emails in error about system termination due to failure of not paying when I am on their auto payment from the beginning as well as see payments being withdrawn from my bank. Also if I you ask for paperwork even if you pay for it they give you the run around and tell you they have not recieved payment even though you have verified that you have.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Vicente, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send us a private message to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? We'll look into this right away. Thank you. ^JD

Nov. 16th, 2021

Debra deRose

Was told by salesman my bill would be $59.27 from sunnova & that would cover electro usage. At times I might get a bill fro pse&how but it would be only $20 or so . Got a bill today for $136. From pse& g which now makes my electric bill 2x what it was. Tried calling sunnova & was cut off twice after holding for 20 minutes each time! So far this seems like a ripoff

Reply from Sunnova

Good Morning Debra, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you please send us a private message with your system ID/Phone number where we can reach you? . We will look into this right away. ^MO

Oct. 8th, 2019

David Valencia Darien, CT

I just got solar and already starting to recieve installation problems. If I don't contact anyone it stays without any production.

Reply from Sunnova

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We are currently reviewing your account and will have one of our agents reach out to you shortly to address your concerns. Please know we take this matter seriously and look forward to addressing your concerns. HV

Dec. 6th, 2022

AL IL

Panel caused a leak in my roof. Instead of 3-5 days to get a response to my claim, it took 12 days and only because I called to get an update after having escalating the case a week prior to no avail. My warranty expired (only 1 year apparently) and now I have to wait 1 to 2 weeks to get a quote to have someone remove the panels while the roofer does the necessary repairs. Still no resolution and no end in sight.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello AL, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would it be possible for you to send us information to [email protected] so we can investigate this issue? We would only need a valid phone number of the customer or a system ID. Please know that we take this matter seriously and look forward resolving this for you. *LS*

Jul. 14th, 2022

Jacquie Deltona, FL

Call to speak with rep regarding my first bill as to why I received a bill only having the service for 4 bills and was advised you were told you would get a bill from sunnova and duke , however I was never told it would generate a bill a month in advance, your customer service representative definitely turned me off from your company for my first impression of your company

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Jacquie, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us an email at [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? Thank you. +EC

May. 31st, 2022

Steven

Tried to get some assistance from their Customer Service department. All the guy could do is read a pre-ordered phone script...each time. I eventually requested to speak with manager and even that was painful and frustrating.

Reply from Sunnova

Thank you for reaching out, Steven. We are sorry to hear about your experience with our Customer Service dept. Can you please send us a private message with your System ID and a phone number where we can reach you?

Apr. 6th, 2020

Dean Nygaard San Marcos, CA

I've been unable to look at my online account because there was something wrong. The Tech Dept was supposed to reach out to me for a solution, but I've never heard from anyone. I still can't see anything about my account, and I've been waiting a couple of weeks.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Dean, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We use all of our customer comments to better our customer service programs. Our records shows that our Tech Dept. corrected the issue and one of our customer service agents contacted you on 1/10/2020 to check if you could log into our customer portal, he left you a voicemail. One of our Issue Resolution Specialists will call you today. ^MO

Jan. 14th, 2020

Matt Sampson

Solar was installed a week after signing the contract it's now November 5th and it's not activated. I've called more than a dozen times, they send a repair 'technician' at least every 2 weeks with no help !!!! Don't do it !!!! Find someone else !!! Horrible customer service !!!

Reply from Sunnova

Hi Matt, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you send us a private message with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? One of our Issue Resolution Specialist will contact you.^MO

Nov. 15th, 2019

Steven Chatelain

Sunnova is the most frustrating company I have ever had to deal with. After 3 months they still owe me a refund for $299.00. I have been promised that refund by several people including a supervisor but I have not received it to date. My list of complaints against Sunnova is extensive. I hope I never have to deal with them again.

Reply from Sunnova

Good afternoon Steven, thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova experience. We do apologize and are here to help. One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you within 1-2 business hours. Thank you!^MO

Oct. 29th, 2019

Mical Granbury, TX

They sold solar panels to my mom a few months before she died. She was an elderly woman who was not real cognitive of the situation. They kept using the word free, free, free. They took advantage of an elderly person that did not realize these things are not free. We are now trying to sell the house but the title company said we cannot sell it until we are the sole owners of the panels. They have been leased for the last two years. The company wants over $30,000 pay-off but we cannot even do that until the panels have been up for5 years. We can't wait for 3 more years . Our only option is to let the house be repossessed and just stop paying on the panels. We tried to pay the things off but the company will not work with us. I just talked with an Attorney about the situation and he is going to try and get something worked out. If he can't, would everybody here, leaving negative reviews, be interested in joining a Class Action Suit against Sunnova? If you do some research, they have been sued before and lost. I can’t post a link here but you can look it up. That's not a threat, I already have an Attorney involved.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Mical, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us a private message to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? We'll look into this right away. Thank you. *DG*

Mar. 14th, 2022

Niall King Calgary, AB

Customer Service Does NOT KNOW how to answer difficult questions, That means a question outside of their 17 or so scripted questions.

Nov. 23rd, 2022

Luciano Apponi Brighton, MA

Run away from this provider. I had issues from installation day all the way I sold my house, even though the panels were all paid off. Absolutely incompetent customer service, no one knows anything.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Luciano Apponi, we apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at? *LS*

Aug. 25th, 2022

Shamin Youssef Los Angeles, CA

This has been one of the worst experiences. My system was not working, half my system was left off and no one believed me until I had to prove to them it was by showing them my old smaller system produced more. I wish I could have gone with another company.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Shamin Youssef, we are sorry to hear that. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you at?*LS*

Jun. 29th, 2022

Chris kavoian Fresno, CA

Took forever to install, sales representative wasn’t attentive to my questions. Just seemed like a hokie company...maybe it’s your satellite company I dont know. Not happy with initial service

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Chris, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. One of our agents will reach out to you to help address this issue. Thank you. ^ JD

Feb. 9th, 2021

Robin Hamilton

The customer service is not good. They said my account was on auto debit when they didn't even have the info and the customer service reps take too long to answer questions and don't have accurate info

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Robin, we are sorry to hear that this was your experience with Sunnova. We do appreciate your business, one of our Issue Resolution Specialists will contact you. We can only improve by knowing what our areas of opportunity are for improvement.^MO

Feb. 14th, 2020

Paul Brown. My rating will change if I can see any value in this purchase.

Well....I've had these panels installed since Dec 2019 and not only have I yet to see any savings on my electric bill but I don't even know if I am using the energy that is supposed to be stored for use during the evenings.

Reply from Sunnova

Good morning Paul, Thank you for bringing this to our attention we use all of our customer comments to better our customer service programs. If you could please send us an email to with your contact information/system id and one of our Issue resolutions specialist will contact you within 1-2 business hours. Thank you ^MP

Feb. 11th, 2020

Adamm Mitchell

Horrible experience with install. Very unprofessional with installers and management. lack of communication during installation. Took days off to meet installers when there was no show.

Reply from Sunnova

Good morning Adamm, we are sorry to hear that this was your experience with Sunnova. If you could please send us a message to with your System ID/Phone number where we can reach you? One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will contact you. ^MP

Feb. 4th, 2020

Natalie Johnson

We have not saved any money yet - very disapointed - thought we were going to get a tax rebate - thats what we were told - my husband was previously on the medical baseline - seems like were paying more now.

Reply from Sunnova

Good Morning Natalie, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry you had to go through this ordeal this is not a typical Sunnova experience. If you could please send us an email with your system id/contact information to and one of our Issue Resolution Specialists will contact you within 1-2 business hours. We will look into this right away. ^MP

Jan. 27th, 2020

Hannah Broadwater Halethorpe, MD

This company provided good customer service on the front end of our contract. However, they stated the cost for removing our panels when we needed to replace our roof would be $1000. When the time came, the lowest they could quote us was $3200 after discounts. They also set up monthly payments based on the average of the expected energy production over the course of a year. We have never gotten more than 3/4 of the energy they promised. They over charge us and instead of adjusting our monthly rate they continue to raise the amount every year. When attempting to speak with customer service they laugh and state “you signed a 20yr contract and agreed to have your rates raised by 2.9% every year. We will not change your contract”. The representatives state they have no managers and cannot transfer you to speak with one. Stay away from this company.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Hannah Broadwater, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would it be possible for you to send us information to [email protected] so we can investigate this issue? We would only need a valid phone number of the customer or a system ID. Please know that we take this matter seriously and look forward to resolving this for you. *DG*

Jan. 31st, 2022

Michael Youngblood Pflugerville, TX

Sunnova makes a lot of promises and delivers wait times, delays, and hardships. I called and scheduled to have my panels removed for a roof replacement. They were supposed to send me a quote in 2 days. They sent it in 2 weeks. They were supposed to then get it approved and scheduled with the 3rd party. Then they told me less then a week before that date, that I needed to wait another 5 business days (after my roof replacement) for them to send me a paper to sign before they can have the 3rd party schedule a date to come take the panels off. Upon asking for help, I was told to wait the 5 business days. I asked for a manager to talk to, I was asked to wait 2 more days for a phone call. I asked to talk to anyone that could help me, and the answer was kept the same. "I am helping you, I can have someone call you in 2 days. wait 5 business days". When I initially got the system, they promised an 80% offset, I asked for 100%, they accepted, they delivered closer to 60%. This company is a joke with no punchline. They will promise one though.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Michael, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send us a private message to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? We'll look into this right away. Thank you. ^JD

Nov. 19th, 2021

Emma Reading, PA

The worse thing I could do to myself was allow Trinity Solar to be my solar company. No matter who you call at this company or text with a problem regarding your solar system, you will never get a response from anyone. Oh I got phone calls and messages while the solar panels were being installed, but once they got their money after install, you are totally dropped as a paying customer! So now, not only do I pay them monthly, but I also pay Met Ed for the electric I use. Not a savings at all, but rest assure they made their money. Trinity Solar assured me of a savings in electric...unbelievable, I have called to inquire why am I still paying Met Ed and you? I was told I would only pay them monthly which would have been about half my current electric bill... but not true at all. I have contacted the BBB and plan on looking into what recourse I have with Trinity Solar...my work has just begun. One of the most deplorable companies I have dealt with in a very long time. I have many regrets now. BUYER BEWARE! Can't be expressed enough.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Emma, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please send us a private message to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? We'll look into this right away. Thank you. *DG*

Sep. 27th, 2021

sila b East Brunswick, NJ

unprofessional, uncompleted jobs I had solar panels installed in my roof last year, the job is bad not professional , it’s a gap between the panels and the roof and this give a chance for animal to build a nest and the panel, this is a fire hazard because the excesses, maybe also a damaged my roof, i requested them to come to finished the job and close this gaps, for my lease they want charging me to finishing what is leftover, they never show up even to see what i am talking about, or my concern , I think this is not comply to the code, I am not sure if any inspector accept this job, even its dangers for me to go up to maintain anything such gutter or roof. I try to reach out many times to Sunnova, they are very unprofessional, rude, manger is not available all the time, I am concerning.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello Silba B, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you send an email to [email protected] with your system ID and a phone number? **MV

Sep. 18th, 2021

hawinyo Plainfield, NJ

Save yourself some grief and avoid Sunnova like the plague. The damage to your roof from squirrels nesting and the risk of a house fire are not worth any savings you think you will realize. If you have to repair your roof on an annual basis, you are actually losing by going solar. Sunnova customer service is a joke. I have had 4 no-show service appointments scheduled to fix roof leaks caused by squirrels nesting under the panels. Sunnova knew that squirrels would nest and damage my roof at the time of contract signing but failed to disclose this. I would have made more informed decisions were I made aware of that fact alone. Avoid Sunnova and all the other shady solar companies. It is time congress reigned in these organized criminals.

Reply from Sunnova

Hello hawinyo, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send us a private message with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? We'll look into this right away. Thank you. ^JD

Sep. 16th, 2021