Solgen Power

5.9

LAST UPDATED: December 22nd, 2022

Solgen Power, founded in 2017, is a solar solutions company that operates in Arizona, Kentucky, Ohio, Oregon, and Washington.

The company is proud to be vertically integrated — meaning none of the work is outsourced. Clients work with Solgen Power from initial design to solar panel installation.

Solgen Power is a 2021 American Business Awards Stevie Winner, as well as a recipient of Best Company's 2021 Great Value award.

Jump down to read Solgen Power reviews from real customers.

SunPower Logo
#1 SunPower chevron_right
ADT Solar Logo
#2 ADT Solar chevron_right

The Good

• Zero-Down Financing
  • Comprehensive Solar Process
  • Off-Grid Options
  • Licensed, Bonded, and Insured
  • Solgen Power Reviews

Zero-Down Financing

Solgen Power partners with a third-party bank that specialize in solar financing — the name of the bank isn't disclosed. If you choose to finance through Solgen Power's partner bank, the company takes all Federal Tax credit incentives into account and provides homeowners with one fixed payment. Plus, homeowners can pay off the loan early (with no prepayment penalties).

Solgen Power does make it clear that there are some conditions clients must meet:

• Approved credit (generally 650+ FICO score)
  • Homeowners
  • Qualifying debt-to-income ratio

Comprehensive Solar Process

Solgen Power has a comprehensive solar process, ensuring that your solar panels are designed to last. The solar process includes the following checkpoints:

• Electric bill — to assess how much energy your home needs, you will provide a copy of your electric bill
  • Custom designs — Solgen Power will draw up a custom design sample
  • Financing — get qualified for Solgen Power 0$ down financing
  • Site survey — a site surveyor is sent to your home to get exact measurements for your solar panels
  • Engineering — Solgen Power completes an engineered design and secures permits with your local jurisdiction
  • Installation — your custom solar power system will be installed within 1–2 days
  • Inspections — your local jurisdiction and utility company will conduct necessary inspections to ensure that your system was installed correctly according to code
  • Power on — a Solgen Power will come to your home and turn on your new solar power system

It is important to note that Solgen Power will walk you through each checkpoint listed above, and Solgen Power reviews indicate that customers typically have had good experiences with customer service when any questions or concerns arise.

Off-Grid Options

Homeowners that want to be off-the-grid can do so with Solgen Power.

While being off-grid isn't for everyone, there are some benefits: you can do the installation yourself, reducing overall installation costs, and they are an excellent alternative for rural areas. In addition, off-grid solar panels can ensure that you still have power in the case of a power outage or if the local grid is down.

Solgen's standard solar system is grid-tied — meaning you are connected to a utility company for any additional electric needs.

So, if being off-the-grid is something you are interested in, make sure to bring it up during your initial consultation.

Licensed, Bonded, and Insured

Solgen Power ensures clients that all its installers and electricians are properly trained, licensed, bonded, and insured. In fact, Solgen Power is a NABCEP certified PV Installation Professional.

Solgen Power Reviews

On BestCompany.com, 66 percent of Solgen Power reviews are 4 or 5 stars. Satisfied customers are quick to mention the following about their experience with the company:

• Responsive customer service representatives
  • Reliable and helpful solar technicians
  • Quick installation process

It is worth noting that some customers remark that it is an expensive process, but with Solgen Power's financing options, you may be able to find solutions to make the switch to solar a more affordable investment.

The Bad

Cannot Install Panels on Certain Roof Types

Solgen Power does not install its solar panels on a wood shake or clay tile roof. However, do not take this as a sign to stop working with Solgen Power. The company can still install solar panels on the roof. Just be aware that Solgen Power may have to remove the shake or tile where the system is installed.

Most solar companies will not install panels on these roofs, so Solgen Power is not unusual. Homeowners with these types of roofs will have to consider the extra costs that come with this situation.

The Bottom Line

We recommend that homeowners and residents of Arizona, Kentucky, Ohio, Oregon, and Washington consider Solgen Power when looking for a solar installation company. Solgen Power is a relatively young company (having been founded in 2017), but the company appears to be reliable and trustworthy.

The solar provider is candid about the solar process but promises to do its best to honor any deadlines. If you own a home with a wood shake or clay tile roof, there may be some extra costs, but this is probably the case with any other solar company.

3.8

Jason

Felt like this was the right time to do something I wanted to do. I have an interest in the environment and giving back to the world. I wanted to do the right thing and teach my children the right thing. Solar Gen was great. Everything seems to be working great. It has done what they said it would. It performs really well even in the winter months. They do great work. Everyone I talked to was great. They were helpful and courteous and responsive. They showed up on time and were respectful. They knew what they were doing. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. It's all very expensive but I would still recommend them to anyone.

Jason

after 2 months of waiting our panels are finally generating electricity and i am happy but the company didn't have great customer support after i signed. the installer called one time to say when they were coming, missed the call and just happened to be here when they showed up so i was able to open the gate. same thing happened when the electric company when they installed to meter so i was able to call them energized right away... i would do five stars if everyone was just like my initial salesman but no one seemed very sure of what was going on when i called about a few things. mainly the fact you don't need a smart phone and an app to monitor the system. you can monitor from their web site which will show a "snapshot" of the systems current performance and history

Robert

Every time we have questions or issue, we reach out and they always take care of it in a timely manner. The people were amazing to work with. It took multiple days to install because they came to do different things but it was pretty smooth. We didn't have to be there the whole time. It went well. They were great to work with. It is very expensive but I hope it is going to be beneficial in the future.

Stuart

The crew was like clockwork. They were there at eight o'clock in the morning and were finished about two thirty in the afternoon. The customer support was very professional. We had a few questions working through the process and they responded quickly. Overall the experience has been positive. They did it right the first time and delivered on their promises.

Robyn McKenzie Walla Walla, WA

They were on the ball getting us approved and getting the panel installed. Since then ( almost 2 months) we have been stalled, waiting on the power company and their electrician to get our electrical box updated. We had an appointment set in January but the temperature was 5 degrees outside. Our furnace was being repaired and we had only electrical heaters. We could not go up to 7 hours with no power at that point. They said it would be about 3 weeks to get us back on the schedule. It has been 8+ weeks and FINALLY they got it set for this week. We are excited about the future with our new solar system but I think they need a bit more communication across the board, within the company and with their clients. Would I use them again, YES!

Jordan Lund Portland, OR

**Edit 3** 3rd city inspection has now failed and as it's 3 days before Christmas, on a project began in APRIL, it would seem this project will be going into month #9. Still no working unit. **Edit 2** Hmmm, I can't post this as a 0 star review. Chatted with customer service today and nobody can tell me when to expect the 3rd attempt at a city inspection. On top of that, they are now texting and emailing me for referrals so I can enter a contest for a $50,000 installation credit. After 2 failed inspections, a complete lack of communication, 8 months without a functional system, and no estimate for when the 3rd inspection can even happen, there's no way I'd recommend them to someone else. **Edit** Solgen got my review and graciously credited me 6 months worth of payments, which is nice... BUT... the city inspector was out a 2nd time and the inspection failed AGAIN. So going into month 8 (April to December) with a non-functional system. He left notes on the blueprints for them to follow and will text/email me a copy so I know exactly what needs to happen and can get the Solgen crews on task. The installed Sense sensor shows 0w generated since 11/1, so even once the inspections are done and the system is finally enabled, we won't see actual power generation until... ? What? March? 11 months after I initiated the process? **Original Review** Overall, nice people, but slow installation and poor communication. We started the process of solar installation in April, 2022. I was assured we would be able to follow the process, step by step, in the app... which was only true up to a point. We stopped getting updates in June and after that it took continual calls and emails to find out where we were in the process. Part of the problem was permitting through the City of Portland, but I was able to find out through my calls that updates WERE happening, they just weren't being communicated to me. Installation was finally completed 6 months later, October, 2022, just before the first bill was due, but the installation failed inspection, was not able to be turned on, and we're back to radio silence. 7 months after starting the process, I'm paying for a non-functional solar installation with no word yet on how or when it will be working, at a time of year when my solar production is apparently 0w anyway. Overall, as much as I LIKE the IDEA of solar power, would not reccomend.

Judith

Internal company communications don't seem to be so hot but they know their business. I think the initial sales person might have misled us about the tax credits that have changed. The installation process was very quick and efficient. We were pleased once they got the bugs worked and got the right location. There was some sloppiness with the documentation.

Dennis

There was some miscommunication about the smart thermostat. They still haven't replaced the one that didn't work right. There are some problems with shade from the trees that they didn't tell us about. They came out to fix the problems. One person came back two or three times to try fix things. This helped resolve things. The communication skills are excellent. He was very helpful and reassuring.

Erika

They were upfront with everything. There are other companies out there that will try to sell you more. Their staff were very helpful. Installation was smooth. I wasn't home but my mom was. They cleaned up after themselves. It was quick. Nothing is perfect but I haven't had any issues.

Robb

Really helpful that they are a zero down option on the roof. It allowed me to get the panels. I refinanced at the same time. They did a really good job working with my loan service to make sure all was kosher. I can tell it is a little more than they normally do. I've been happy with the equipment. I'm excited to see what it produces in summertime when I get more sunshine. The process felt a little rushed. It can be a little overwhelming. It was smooth to get it put up. They were done in a couple of hours.

Jesus

It is nice and easy and quick getting it installed. The staff is pretty good. They answer and it don't know the answer, they get back to you. I wish I were more knowledgeable when I purchased it like the meter reads and everything.

Anthony

It's working. The job went a lot quicker than I would have thought. There was a confusion with the local power company but they were very responsive and helpful. They are good at giving explanations. It helps to know what is going on. It all makes sense.

Terry Burch Ellensburg, WA

My experience started out great, but both the weather and supply chain issues caused things to be much slower than anticipated. However, what Solgen really needs is to assign a project manager to each client (yes, they'd have more than one client to supervise), who would call each client on Monday with a status update of the project; if anything changed during the week, they would immediately call the client. This would greatly reduce the anxiety as trying to find someone to contact and get information from isn't as easy as it should be.

Tracy L Banks Tacoma, WA

My sales rep, Nathan, was honest and upfront about the whole process. He shared accurate and insightful data as well as other pertinent information. All the other people with Solgen that I've dealt have been extremely respectful and helpful. Solgen also provided many perks which I was unaware that I would receive such as LED light bulbs for my whole house, free insulation in my attic and a free Google Nest thermostat to replace my old one.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the review, Tracy!

Nov. 16th, 2021

Lane

They did everything on time and did everything right the first time. Every process was done perfectly, they took my son in law and taught him how to work the whole system install. The installation department had no problems. I would say that anyone that wanted to get a solar system should use Solgen. Some guys showed up and were on the roofs and in one afternoon got it all installed. We had to wait a day for the inspection from the local power company and then they approved it all.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the feedback Lane! It means a lot!

Sep. 27th, 2021

I got feedback anytime I had any questions or any concerns. During the construction of the project the turn around time was very fast. I never really found myself waiting too much to get anything done. Installation went as smoothly as it could especially during Covid. They had to work with the local power utility companies to get the job done, when they would drag their feet Solgen was already on top of it. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome that I've been saving a lot of money in my power.

Marc

The sales guys who came over were personable, they got to know us a little bit and they weren't pushy, they just laid out all the facts and answered all our questions and helped us decide what was best for us. Installation was quick, they had it done in probably four and a half hours they had the whole thing up and ready to go. Anytime we had a question the sales guy, Chris, was more than happy to answer questions and we were satisfied. I haven't had any issues with it.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank for the great review, Marc! We'll be sure to pass this along to Chris.

Bryli

They've done an excellent job. I like that each was is independent of the others so if one goes out the other still work. It is working quite well. We can monitor things really easy from the app. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. They were conscious that I had a newborn bay and I barely noticed them working.

Ronald

The sales person was really good. He gave us the information and wasn't pushy. Customer support also gets you information quickly. The installer, Carlos was very friendly and efficient.

Steven

Everything went well. There were some bumps in the road but they were handled pretty good. It went really well. It seems like quality equipment but I don't know much about solar power.

Samantha

It seems to work pretty well. I had a lot of issues when it was first installed. It took almost five months to get it actually operational. I wasn't happy with that. The process to get it installed was amazing. It was done in a day.

Jeffrey

Very impressed with the installation. The crew did a very good job. They seemed to be well coordinated. It takes a little time. I like how they went beyond the height conduits to access the panels in the roof. I like that their panels are made in Australia and other parts where they have been doing solar for longer. I was hoping to get a generator switch installed at the same time, it was my understanding when I signed, but the policy changed and no one let me know. I did contact them to ask and they explained it to me. I did have to put in a lot of effort to figure it out.

Stephanie

My coworker recommended them. I like that I can double check the usage on my iphone and I can monitor from home. All my questions have been answered and they are quick to get back to me. It has gone great.

Rolando

It is a pretty good source of energy. Everything is good about it. Everything looks good. The installation process was very quick. They did a really good job. They were done in three or four hours. Customer support is really good at helping the customer.

Laurie

I enjoyed working with the installation team and the others. They were very professional. Customer support was great, they were always available to us. We got a large system and it was on time and covered as scheduled.

Glen Daily Kennewick, WA

I am happy with the solar panels, but since we started, the SENSE monitor has been showing off-line more and more. I have called in a couple times about it and Been told that someone was going to look into it, but as yet I have heard nothing back with any solutions.

Debbie Montgomery Kennewick, WA

All the customer service people and technicians I talked to and worked with were wonderful. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars was because of a mishap that caused my final installation to be delayed about a month. Otherwise, I'm happy with the service and the end result.

Nicole Vivoda Independence, KY

There is no follow up after solar panels were installed. I wish there was an app for me to see the power they are pulling in, peace of mind they are working. So I'm rather disappointed at the post installation of the experience. One of their installers was also supposed to come back and fix some scratches on my door trim and I never heard back from him.

John

The salesman was very knowledgeable. He impressed me with what he knew. Their technical people are very good too. The project management needs some attending to because it is pitiful. Communication is lacking. They were a little late getting it installed. It is all working now and it has been corrected and adjusted properly. I would still recommend them.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for the honest feedback, John. We're so glad you're happy with the final product!

Estrella

The guy that came out to my house was nice and convincing. He answered all our questions. Customer support is very knowledgeable. They took care of everything with the HOA. Everything is good. Some companies rip their customers off and they are not like that. They don't charge me for anything.

Long

Just overall positive experience able to troubleshoot anything that hasn't been working. Installation was good but there were different teams for installing, wiring, and adding insulation, so it took a little longer than I would have imagined. It works well but I might ask for more panels to be installed at a later time to increase the amount of energy it produces.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for the great review!

Michael

They've always answered my questions come out when I needed them. I just like the personnel. The value for my money is very good. Installation went very well. I think Solgen is great. I have nothing to compare but so far it certainly is gathering solar ray for power.

Reply from Solgen Power

That's awesome to hear Michael! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience!

John

They've always been there when I had a question. They came in one day and did the install and I think they finished up on the second day but we have over forty panels so it was great. I just like what I seen. Solgen solar is a good company.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you very much for your review, John!

Charles

It seems to be working fine. The installation process itself was fine, the guys were in and out, very quick, very, very efficient. I wish Solgen has been a little more upfront about their service area. When we had people come up here they were generally from very far away. If I had known that they didn't have a presence here I would have gone somewhere else. What I should have done was called up my local utility and said who have you had the best luck working with as far as solar providers because I think that Solgen being based in eastern Washington is not having a lot of representation at a certain amount and I really made the process a lot more complicated. The installers were great, but the people I ended up talking to on the phone were not. I had a lot of trouble getting through on the phone with the Solgen.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for your review and honest feedback, Charles. We're so glad to have you as a customer.

Shirley

It's still a little expensive but it's come down quite a bit. Well my electric bills lower. I haven't had any problems. Installation was pretty good except for the fact they had to keep coming back over and over and over and because one company had to wait for another company to do something and so forth so it took about eight visits I think. I like the app, the Solgen app or whatever it's called.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the honest feedback Shirley! Unfortunately, waiting for the local jurisdictions and utilities are often the longest part of the process. At Solgen, we submit everything as quick as possible so we can work with those companies to expedite your project as quick as possible. We are sorry that it didn't fully reach your expectation but we hope that your process was able to run as smooth as you say!

Scott

Expensive but I am efficient and it has been one hundred percent of my power since March and I am hoping to make it the whole year with how much extra power I have banked with the energy company so it is good. It works. Installation went well.

Reply from Solgen Power

Awesome! We are so excited to hear that you have had such a great experience with us so far!

Sep. 24th, 2021

Larry

We lost half of our converters in the first six months. It snowed in February and the solar panels ripped off. Once we discovered what was going on, they had it fixed within three weeks. I would still recommend it. Installation was very smooth. I like the way they presented it. I am an electrician.

Reply from Solgen Power

So sorry that happened! We hate when situations like that happen. We are glad we were able to make things right with you though!

Sep. 24th, 2021

Gilbert Rosales

Sale, financing and install were great. Support after install was difficult to achieve. It would have been helpful to have someone explain how the system operates and how to get the app going. Also, still waiting for my AC tune up and smart thermostat and the system was powered up one month ago : /

Cody

It's pretty good for the money. Sometimes customer service is had to get a hold of but they are really helpful sometimes. They haven't given me any problems. It looks really well built.

Zarina

It took a while waiting for the install. There was good communication. I received test about when the equipment would be installed. Once they got here, it was smooth. The process was quick and efficient. I have no issues with it. I would like to know more about how it works.

Clarence

Lessens the bills and also helps the environment. They do a good job giving good information. It was installed really quickly. It was done in a day. All went well.

Mike Liberty Lake, WA

The communication from Solgen has been terrible. It has taken almost 10 weeks to fully complete the install. I only found out they were waiting for a final part to complete the install because I called them. Even while waiting for the part, I was told they would contact me when it arrived but had to follow up to see when the installation would be finished. It is more a complete lack of communication that is the problem.

Hallie H Sykes Seattle, WA

They were fast and thorough during the install process, however the estimate on how much power the panels would produce was pretty far off and inflated. The sales pitch "guaranteed " that we would offset energy costs by 50% and it won't event get close to that. The "no cost" solar was based on the savings over time and it's actually more expensive than before.. (loan + energy bill). The communication fell through after install so it took forever to actually get.them turned on..we kept getting shuffled to different schedulers.. our main point of contact left town or something.

Reply from Solgen Power

Hi Hallie! Thank you for your review! We try and be as transparent as possible through the process. Your review really helps us get better.

Mar. 18th, 2022

Rycardo Goodwin Tacoma, WA

The service is great, and the Sense device/app that is included really gives you an idea of where your power is being distributed to. The only initial qualm that I had was during the installation; it seemed as though a ball was dropped when communicating with the city to schedule and install the meter, which delayed the process by several weeks.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for the review, Rycardo! Your feedback is valuable to us.

Nov. 16th, 2021

M

It was very quick and pain free getting it installed. I had a few problems and their customer support helped me out. I haven't had problems since. I am happy with the service.

Courtney Fix Seattle, WA

The process for getting solar on my home was so seamless and efficient. I just couldn't have asked for it to go any smoother. And as soon as my panels were turned on, it showed in my power bill (or lack of a bill).

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for the great review, Courtney! So happy to have you as a customer!

Andrei

I would give them the highest rating. I feel satisfied. I cannot download the application for my phone for Solgen because I lost all the information about it but I would like to do that.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the review, Andrei! Don't hesitate to give our office a call and we can help you with the app.

Jack

There was one point in time where it took a while to get a hold of someone, but other than that they have been great. It took them 6.5 hours to install and they crushed it. Its a great system, but I have an error code on the app that I haven't had a response about.

Reply from Solgen Power

Hey Jack! Thanks for the honest feedback! We are looking for ways to improve our experience every day! If you reach out to our customer service department, they should be able to help you out with that error code!

Nicholas

Pretty clean, everything that they were doing was explained to me and it seemed to be a good group of people installing it. They're pretty quick about responding or handling an issue. It is not at the percentage that it was projected to be at.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thanks for the great review, Nicholas! We appreciate you! Don't hesitate to contact our office and we can take a look at your production together.

Galen

The panels seems really good. We did get a little bit of water coming in through the tube that fit the wires to the panel. Installation process went smoothly. There we're a lot of set backs and slow down and one or two times they said they were gonna send someone out here but no one showed up.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thanks for your feedback, Galen! We are striving to improve our processes and feedback like this helps us tremendously.