Solgen Power

6.6

LAST UPDATED: June 2nd, 2022

Solgen Power is a solar solutions company that operates in Arizona, Kentucky, Ohio, Oregon, and Washington.

The company is proud to be vertically integrated — meaning none of the work is outsourced. Clients work with Solgen Power from the initial design to panel installation.

The Good

• Zero-Down Financing
  • Off-Grid Options
  • 8-Step Process
  • Licensed, Bonded, and Insured

Zero-Down Financing

Solgen Power partners with a third-party bank that specialize in solar financing — the name of the bank isn't disclosed. If you choose to finance through Solgen Power's partner bank, the company takes all Federal Tax credit incentives into account and provides homeowners with one fixed payment. Plus, homeowners can pay off the loan early (with no prepayment penalties).

Solgen Power does make it clear that there are some conditions clients must meet:

• Approved credit (generally 650+ FICO score)
  • Homeowners
  • Qualifying debt-to-income ratio

Off-Grid Options

Homeowners that want to be off-the-grid can with Solgen Power.

While being off-grid isn't for everyone, there are some benefits, such as avoiding power outages, installation can be done by a homeowner (reducing overall installation costs), and they are an excellent alternative for rural areas.

Solgen's standard solar system is grid-tied — meaning you are connected to a utility company for any additional electric needs.

So, if being off-the-grid is something you are interested in, make sure to bring it up during your initial consultation.

8-Step Process

Solgen Power clients go through an eight-step process.

Many other solar companies boast a five-step or three-step process, but we appreciate Solgen Power's candidness that it can be a bit of a lengthy process. And while the company says it's eight steps in total, Solgen Power claims that clients are only really involved in the first three steps.

The first step requires consumers giving their utility bill to Solgen Power. The second step is to set up and attend a consultation with an energy consultant. During this consultation, consumers receive a free proposal that goes over all the design aspects and numbers.

The third step is where consumers decide whether they want to work with Solgen Power.

Once getting qualified and signing up, an on-site survey is conducted. After the on-site visit, Solgen Power will take care of all the engineering and obtaining all necessary permits. Keep in mind that the costs of the permits, engineering surveys, and inspections are included in your initial proposal. If an unexpected issue arises (panels not up to code or a new roof is needed), the final cost may change.

The next step is to have all the panels installed on the property.

When all the panels are up, Solgen Power and the utility company conduct a walkthrough/inspection of the system. Once everything is approved, the solar system is turned on.

We also appreciate that Solgen Power discloses how long each step may take. For example, Solgen Power estimates that step one only takes about a day, but step five (Engineering and Permitting) may take anywhere from one to six weeks.

Licensed, Bonded, and Insured

Solgen Power ensures clients that all its installers and electricians are properly trained, licensed, bonded, and insured. In fact, Solgen Power is a NABCEP certified PV Installation Professional.

The Bad

Cannot Install Panels on Certain Roof Types

Solgen Power does not install its solar panels on a wood shake or clay tile roof. However, do not take this as a sign to stop working with Solgen Power. The company can still install solar panels on the roof. Just be aware that Solgen Power may have to remove the shake or tile where the system is installed.

Most solar companies will not install panels on these roofs, so Solgen Power is not unusual. Homeowners with these types of roofs will have to consider the extra costs that come with this situation.

The Bottom Line

We recommend that homeowners and residents of Arizona, Kentucky, Ohio, Oregon, and Washington consider Solgen Power when looking for a solar installation company. Solgen Power is a relatively young company (having been founded in 2017), but the company appears to be reliable and trustworthy.

The solar provider is candid about the solar process but promises to do its best to honor any deadlines. If you own a home with a wood shake or clay tile roof, there may be some extra costs, but this is probably the case with any other solar company.

3.8

Jason

Felt like this was the right time to do something I wanted to do. I have an interest in the environment and giving back to the world. I wanted to do the right thing and teach my children the right thing. Solar Gen was great. Everything seems to be working great. It has done what they said it would. It performs really well even in the winter months. They do great work. Everyone I talked to was great. They were helpful and courteous and responsive. They showed up on time and were respectful. They knew what they were doing. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. It's all very expensive but I would still recommend them to anyone.

Jason

after 2 months of waiting our panels are finally generating electricity and i am happy but the company didn't have great customer support after i signed. the installer called one time to say when they were coming, missed the call and just happened to be here when they showed up so i was able to open the gate. same thing happened when the electric company when they installed to meter so i was able to call them energized right away... i would do five stars if everyone was just like my initial salesman but no one seemed very sure of what was going on when i called about a few things. mainly the fact you don't need a smart phone and an app to monitor the system. you can monitor from their web site which will show a "snapshot" of the systems current performance and history

Robert

Every time we have questions or issue, we reach out and they always take care of it in a timely manner. The people were amazing to work with. It took multiple days to install because they came to do different things but it was pretty smooth. We didn't have to be there the whole time. It went well. They were great to work with. It is very expensive but I hope it is going to be beneficial in the future.

Stuart

The crew was like clockwork. They were there at eight o'clock in the morning and were finished about two thirty in the afternoon. The customer support was very professional. We had a few questions working through the process and they responded quickly. Overall the experience has been positive. They did it right the first time and delivered on their promises.

Robyn McKenzie Walla Walla, WA

They were on the ball getting us approved and getting the panel installed. Since then ( almost 2 months) we have been stalled, waiting on the power company and their electrician to get our electrical box updated. We had an appointment set in January but the temperature was 5 degrees outside. Our furnace was being repaired and we had only electrical heaters. We could not go up to 7 hours with no power at that point. They said it would be about 3 weeks to get us back on the schedule. It has been 8+ weeks and FINALLY they got it set for this week. We are excited about the future with our new solar system but I think they need a bit more communication across the board, within the company and with their clients. Would I use them again, YES!

Judith

Internal company communications don't seem to be so hot but they know their business. I think the initial sales person might have misled us about the tax credits that have changed. The installation process was very quick and efficient. We were pleased once they got the bugs worked and got the right location. There was some sloppiness with the documentation.

Dennis

There was some miscommunication about the smart thermostat. They still haven't replaced the one that didn't work right. There are some problems with shade from the trees that they didn't tell us about. They came out to fix the problems. One person came back two or three times to try fix things. This helped resolve things. The communication skills are excellent. He was very helpful and reassuring.

Erika

They were upfront with everything. There are other companies out there that will try to sell you more. Their staff were very helpful. Installation was smooth. I wasn't home but my mom was. They cleaned up after themselves. It was quick. Nothing is perfect but I haven't had any issues.

Robb

Really helpful that they are a zero down option on the roof. It allowed me to get the panels. I refinanced at the same time. They did a really good job working with my loan service to make sure all was kosher. I can tell it is a little more than they normally do. I've been happy with the equipment. I'm excited to see what it produces in summertime when I get more sunshine. The process felt a little rushed. It can be a little overwhelming. It was smooth to get it put up. They were done in a couple of hours.

Jesus

It is nice and easy and quick getting it installed. The staff is pretty good. They answer and it don't know the answer, they get back to you. I wish I were more knowledgeable when I purchased it like the meter reads and everything.

Anthony

It's working. The job went a lot quicker than I would have thought. There was a confusion with the local power company but they were very responsive and helpful. They are good at giving explanations. It helps to know what is going on. It all makes sense.

Terry Burch Ellensburg, WA

My experience started out great, but both the weather and supply chain issues caused things to be much slower than anticipated. However, what Solgen really needs is to assign a project manager to each client (yes, they'd have more than one client to supervise), who would call each client on Monday with a status update of the project; if anything changed during the week, they would immediately call the client. This would greatly reduce the anxiety as trying to find someone to contact and get information from isn't as easy as it should be.

Bryli

They've done an excellent job. I like that each was is independent of the others so if one goes out the other still work. It is working quite well. We can monitor things really easy from the app. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. They were conscious that I had a newborn bay and I barely noticed them working.

Ronald

The sales person was really good. He gave us the information and wasn't pushy. Customer support also gets you information quickly. The installer, Carlos was very friendly and efficient.

Steven

Everything went well. There were some bumps in the road but they were handled pretty good. It went really well. It seems like quality equipment but I don't know much about solar power.

Samantha

It seems to work pretty well. I had a lot of issues when it was first installed. It took almost five months to get it actually operational. I wasn't happy with that. The process to get it installed was amazing. It was done in a day.

Jeffrey

Very impressed with the installation. The crew did a very good job. They seemed to be well coordinated. It takes a little time. I like how they went beyond the height conduits to access the panels in the roof. I like that their panels are made in Australia and other parts where they have been doing solar for longer. I was hoping to get a generator switch installed at the same time, it was my understanding when I signed, but the policy changed and no one let me know. I did contact them to ask and they explained it to me. I did have to put in a lot of effort to figure it out.

Stephanie

My coworker recommended them. I like that I can double check the usage on my iphone and I can monitor from home. All my questions have been answered and they are quick to get back to me. It has gone great.

Rolando

It is a pretty good source of energy. Everything is good about it. Everything looks good. The installation process was very quick. They did a really good job. They were done in three or four hours. Customer support is really good at helping the customer.

Laurie

I enjoyed working with the installation team and the others. They were very professional. Customer support was great, they were always available to us. We got a large system and it was on time and covered as scheduled.

Glen Daily Kennewick, WA

I am happy with the solar panels, but since we started, the SENSE monitor has been showing off-line more and more. I have called in a couple times about it and Been told that someone was going to look into it, but as yet I have heard nothing back with any solutions.

Debbie Montgomery Kennewick, WA

All the customer service people and technicians I talked to and worked with were wonderful. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars was because of a mishap that caused my final installation to be delayed about a month. Otherwise, I'm happy with the service and the end result.

Nicole Vivoda Independence, KY

There is no follow up after solar panels were installed. I wish there was an app for me to see the power they are pulling in, peace of mind they are working. So I'm rather disappointed at the post installation of the experience. One of their installers was also supposed to come back and fix some scratches on my door trim and I never heard back from him.

Tracy L Banks Tacoma, WA

My sales rep, Nathan, was honest and upfront about the whole process. He shared accurate and insightful data as well as other pertinent information. All the other people with Solgen that I've dealt have been extremely respectful and helpful. Solgen also provided many perks which I was unaware that I would receive such as LED light bulbs for my whole house, free insulation in my attic and a free Google Nest thermostat to replace my old one.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the review, Tracy!

Nov. 16th, 2021

Lane

They did everything on time and did everything right the first time. Every process was done perfectly, they took my son in law and taught him how to work the whole system install. The installation department had no problems. I would say that anyone that wanted to get a solar system should use Solgen. Some guys showed up and were on the roofs and in one afternoon got it all installed. We had to wait a day for the inspection from the local power company and then they approved it all.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the feedback Lane! It means a lot!

Sep. 27th, 2021

I got feedback anytime I had any questions or any concerns. During the construction of the project the turn around time was very fast. I never really found myself waiting too much to get anything done. Installation went as smoothly as it could especially during Covid. They had to work with the local power utility companies to get the job done, when they would drag their feet Solgen was already on top of it. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome that I've been saving a lot of money in my power.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the review!

Marc

The sales guys who came over were personable, they got to know us a little bit and they weren't pushy, they just laid out all the facts and answered all our questions and helped us decide what was best for us. Installation was quick, they had it done in probably four and a half hours they had the whole thing up and ready to go. Anytime we had a question the sales guy, Chris, was more than happy to answer questions and we were satisfied. I haven't had any issues with it.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank for the great review, Marc! We'll be sure to pass this along to Chris.

Gilbert Rosales

Sale, financing and install were great. Support after install was difficult to achieve. It would have been helpful to have someone explain how the system operates and how to get the app going. Also, still waiting for my AC tune up and smart thermostat and the system was powered up one month ago : /

Cody

It's pretty good for the money. Sometimes customer service is had to get a hold of but they are really helpful sometimes. They haven't given me any problems. It looks really well built.

Zarina

It took a while waiting for the install. There was good communication. I received test about when the equipment would be installed. Once they got here, it was smooth. The process was quick and efficient. I have no issues with it. I would like to know more about how it works.

Clarence

Lessens the bills and also helps the environment. They do a good job giving good information. It was installed really quickly. It was done in a day. All went well.

Mike Liberty Lake, WA

The communication from Solgen has been terrible. It has taken almost 10 weeks to fully complete the install. I only found out they were waiting for a final part to complete the install because I called them. Even while waiting for the part, I was told they would contact me when it arrived but had to follow up to see when the installation would be finished. It is more a complete lack of communication that is the problem.

Hallie H Sykes Seattle, WA

They were fast and thorough during the install process, however the estimate on how much power the panels would produce was pretty far off and inflated. The sales pitch "guaranteed " that we would offset energy costs by 50% and it won't event get close to that. The "no cost" solar was based on the savings over time and it's actually more expensive than before.. (loan + energy bill). The communication fell through after install so it took forever to actually get.them turned on..we kept getting shuffled to different schedulers.. our main point of contact left town or something.

Reply from Solgen Power

Hi Hallie! Thank you for your review! We try and be as transparent as possible through the process. Your review really helps us get better.

Mar. 18th, 2022

John

The salesman was very knowledgeable. He impressed me with what he knew. Their technical people are very good too. The project management needs some attending to because it is pitiful. Communication is lacking. They were a little late getting it installed. It is all working now and it has been corrected and adjusted properly. I would still recommend them.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for the honest feedback, John. We're so glad you're happy with the final product!

Estrella

The guy that came out to my house was nice and convincing. He answered all our questions. Customer support is very knowledgeable. They took care of everything with the HOA. Everything is good. Some companies rip their customers off and they are not like that. They don't charge me for anything.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the review!

Long

Just overall positive experience able to troubleshoot anything that hasn't been working. Installation was good but there were different teams for installing, wiring, and adding insulation, so it took a little longer than I would have imagined. It works well but I might ask for more panels to be installed at a later time to increase the amount of energy it produces.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for the great review!

Michael

They've always answered my questions come out when I needed them. I just like the personnel. The value for my money is very good. Installation went very well. I think Solgen is great. I have nothing to compare but so far it certainly is gathering solar ray for power.

Reply from Solgen Power

That's awesome to hear Michael! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience!

John

They've always been there when I had a question. They came in one day and did the install and I think they finished up on the second day but we have over forty panels so it was great. I just like what I seen. Solgen solar is a good company.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you very much for your review, John!

Charles

It seems to be working fine. The installation process itself was fine, the guys were in and out, very quick, very, very efficient. I wish Solgen has been a little more upfront about their service area. When we had people come up here they were generally from very far away. If I had known that they didn't have a presence here I would have gone somewhere else. What I should have done was called up my local utility and said who have you had the best luck working with as far as solar providers because I think that Solgen being based in eastern Washington is not having a lot of representation at a certain amount and I really made the process a lot more complicated. The installers were great, but the people I ended up talking to on the phone were not. I had a lot of trouble getting through on the phone with the Solgen.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you for your review and honest feedback, Charles. We're so glad to have you as a customer.

Shirley

It's still a little expensive but it's come down quite a bit. Well my electric bills lower. I haven't had any problems. Installation was pretty good except for the fact they had to keep coming back over and over and over and because one company had to wait for another company to do something and so forth so it took about eight visits I think. I like the app, the Solgen app or whatever it's called.

Reply from Solgen Power

Thank you so much for the honest feedback Shirley! Unfortunately, waiting for the local jurisdictions and utilities are often the longest part of the process. At Solgen, we submit everything as quick as possible so we can work with those companies to expedite your project as quick as possible. We are sorry that it didn't fully reach your expectation but we hope that your process was able to run as smooth as you say!

Scott

Expensive but I am efficient and it has been one hundred percent of my power since March and I am hoping to make it the whole year with how much extra power I have banked with the energy company so it is good. It works. Installation went well.

Reply from Solgen Power

Awesome! We are so excited to hear that you have had such a great experience with us so far!

Sep. 24th, 2021

Larry

We lost half of our converters in the first six months. It snowed in February and the solar panels ripped off. Once we discovered what was going on, they had it fixed within three weeks. I would still recommend it. Installation was very smooth. I like the way they presented it. I am an electrician.

Reply from Solgen Power

So sorry that happened! We hate when situations like that happen. We are glad we were able to make things right with you though!

Sep. 24th, 2021

Steve

Customer service has gone the extra mile to make sure everything was done right. We are very satisfied. They took care of the house.

Reginald

All the communication was positive. 5/5 because of the cleanliness - once everything was done, they cleaned up behind themselves.

Gerald

I feel really comfortable with the company. I am frustrated with the process of getting the inspection done, it has taken about three months but the rest was pretty good. They got them put up quickly.

Colonel

It has been very quick and seamless. They came out in the morning and left in the afternoon. The sales person was very knowledgeable.

Catherine

Customer service is really good. They informed us very well. It is easy to get ahold of them with any questions. We were kind of stuck in the process of turning it on.

Alcides Valencia Tucson, AZ

Initial installation and early communication went great, after their part was finished, no further attention or follow up was given to my project which still remains incomplete after 3+ months.

Ellen Smiley Kenmore, WA

Haven't heard from anyone at Solgen since install was complete. I complained about the mess the installers made on my roof and sales person said he would make this right but hasn't reached out since I complained.

David Stevenson Tucson, AZ

Delayed installation that not the fault of TEP. I was promised a new Nest Thermostat and have yet to receive. Solgen promised no electric utility bills for first 6 months after installation. I am still being charged by TEP after the installation.

Reply from Solgen Power

Hi David! Thank you for your feedback. We try to be as transparent as possible through the Solar process. Please reach out to our team, so we can make sure you get what you were promised!

Mar. 18th, 2022