Solar Topps Logo

Founded in 2009, Solar Topps provides residential and commercial solar services in Arizona and California. As one of the largest SunPower Elite Dealers in the West, the company offers top-rated equipment and technology.

Additionally, Solar Topps is a North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) certified solar PV installer.  The company has received a great deal of recognition and was named "SunPower Dealer of the Year" in 2012.

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranties
  • System Monitoring
  • Educational Services
  • Panel Moving Services

Several Payment Options

Solar Topps offers multiple payment options, including outright purchase, loan, lease, and PPA. Consumers who are interested in solar as an investment will most likely be looking at an outright purchase or a loan. Solar Topps offers in-house financing with low interest rates for customers who would like to go the loan route.

On the other hand, consumers who aren't interested in solar ownership but would like to save money on their utility bills each month will probably be drawn to a lease or a PPA. These options allow customers to have a system installed for $0 down and start saving right away.

Warranties

The Solar Topps website states that the company has a "no questions asked" warranty, which includes 20-year end-to-end coverage starting on Day 1. Solar Topps will conduct bi-annual inspections to ensure that the system is working correctly and no issues have come up. If an issue is detected, the company's team of technicians will take care of it.

Solar Topps also offers a "repair or replace" guarantee, which covers everything, including the panels, inverters, railings, and mountings. If any system components are not working as they should due to a workmanship issue, Solar Topps will repair or replace them for free.

Finally, Solar Topps provides its customers with a production guarantee, which means that the company will pay the customer the difference if their system doesn't produce what they were told it would.

System Monitoring

Solar Topps offers its customers lifetime system monitoring, which provides real-time energy usage data. With this monitoring program, customers have the ability to observe their meter readings at any time. The monitoring program also gives live updates on system performance so customers can ensure that everything is working properly.

If technical support is ever needed, the Solar Topps staff can assist remotely by providing system evaluations, troubleshooting, and maintenance. If the support staff can't fix the issue, the company will send out a technician at no charge.

Educational Services

Solar Topps periodically schedules seminars designed to educate consumers about solar, how it works, and how installing a system could be beneficial. The company also provides tours of its facility so that customers can meet the team and take a look at the different products offered.

Panel Moving Services

If customers ever need to have their solar system temporarily removed to perform repairs or replace their roof, Solar Topps provides panel removal and reinstallation services. Solar Topps will ensure that everything is done correctly and that the system will continue to produce at optimal levels after the reinstallation.

The Bad

• State Availability
  • Contract Details

State Availability

Solar Topps currently only offers its services in Arizona and California. While being a local provider does have its own set of advantages, it also limits the number of consumers who have the opportunity to do business with the company.

Contract Details

Solar Topps has not disclosed its contract details, so the contract length and terms are unclear. If you do decide to go forward with Solar Topps, be sure to read your contract carefully and ask a company representative about any questions you may have.

The Bottom Line

Solar Topps is a SunPower Elite Dealer with seven years of experience under its belt. The company offers several payment options, great warranties, and lifetime system monitoring. However, the contract details are unclear and the company only operates in Arizona and California.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

Jennifer Malara Peoria, AZ

I signed a lease in June 9, 2016, my sales rep explained EVERYTHING TO ME. I read the contact throughly and everything he said to me was in the contact. They offered ME a better deal then all the other I contacted 4 companies, 1 was only a leasing company so that was a no , some offered to match it.( I told them, you said this was the the best deal I could get, but now you are offering to change it. Why didn't you offer me this the first time?) I like that everyone who worked on my house and system actually works for the company, no 3rd party contractors. SunRun kept me informed on every part of building my system and how much longer it would take. They installed it in 1 day and was approved by the city same day, APS can out 1-2 days later and my system was up and running the same day on 9/18. I can go on my iPad and watch what it is doing, what I am using and how much I am saving. . I made the right choice. One more thing, they were the only company that offers that is you need to work on your roof , they will removed your system so you can fix it and reinstall it for FREE

Julie A Sours Surprise, AZ

Great customer service Jesse explained everything to us in detail several times. Our insulation took less than a month and we're up and running as of 3 days ago we purchased ours, with a great interest rate, would definitely do business with this company again it was seamless and professional.

Richard White El Centro, CA

Had panels installed Dec 2015. Installation was very good and customer service was excellent. Warranty was average for industry. So far, operation of panels have been more than satisfactory and I have been pleased. Took estimates from several companies and compared specs of systems and Solar Topps was significantly more economical.

Natalie Goodyear, AZ

Our sales rep was very knowledgeable and professional. The installation process was seamless and the crew did a great job. Solar Topps lost our paperwork before it was issued to the city or APS so turning our solar panels on has been delayed almost two months. Because of this I now have an extra two months of electric bills that I did not expect/budget for. I asked Solar Topps to assist with this bill as it is in result of their error. They claim that they cannot but not to worry because I will not need to pay for my panels until they are turned on. This still leaves me with an extra $1000+ expense that I had not planned for. Not only this, but my final electric bill and solar panel payment were due within days of each other. Solar Tops once again cannot help. Even though they promised 30 days bill-free. I understand that mistakes can be made but a company should do all it can to make it right. They should also be honest. I do not feel like Solar Topps did that and I really wish I would have chosen another company. Not only this, but the sales manager and Owner refuse to take ownership for their mistake and were extremely rude and unhelpful.

Bocephus spline gates IV Phoenix, AZ

Salesman lied regarding the cost of the system. The electrician, Gilbert was rude and his appearance was dirty and unprofessional. The owner, Neal was very rude when confronted via telephone and accused me of lying and hung up on me when I tried to explain the problems. My roof now leaks. Stay away from this company if you want good customer service