Best Company Guarantee Project Solar Logo

Project Solar

8.3

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

LAST UPDATED: February 20th, 2024

Project Solar is a professional solar installation company that also offers customers a do-it-yourself option.

Founded in 2016, the company is dedicated to reducing the cost of going solar by reducing overhead, streamlining its lean infrastructure, and doing away with the door-to-door sales force so many other solar companies have come to rely upon. Instead, the company employs a salsmen-free calculator that pulls from multiple government APIs to accurately measure and predict the solar performance of a given customer's roof. In short, Project Solar can give homeowners an accurate solar quote in real-time

Through its expertly designed solar panel systems, Project Solar aims to not only make solar affordable, but also accessible to anyone wishing to save money on their utility bill and achieve energy independence.

The Good

• High-Quality Solar Equipment
  • DIY Solar Option
  • Transparent Pricing
  • Sufficient Workmanship Warranty

High-Quality Solar Equipment

Project Solar sources its solar equipment from a number of top-level manufacturers. It’s standard solar set features panel from Jinko Solar, which come with a 25-year equipment warranty and an energy efficiency of more than 20 percent — considered an elite rating in the solar industry. The company also uses Enphase micro inverter modules and ranking equipment from industry leader Iron Ridge that can be affixed to either asphalt or tile roof types.

If customers wish to upgrade their panels, Project Solar has partnered with the following manufacturers:

• Aptos
  • Q CELLS
  • LG
  • Panasonic

In short, regardless of budget, Project Solar has a solution for everyone.

DIY Solar Option

Project Solar aims to turn the traditional solar business model on its head by providing customers with the option to install the solar PV system themselves. To accomplish this, and make the process as simple as possible for customers, Project Solar’s expert team handles the design, engineering, permitting, and final electrical work.

Meanwhile, all the customer needs to do is climb up on the roof and affix the mounting equipment, screw on the solar panels, and run the wires to the home’s electrical panel — and save thousands of dollars in the process.

DIY Solar installation through Project Solar is available across the majority of the continental United States (jurisdiction permitting).

Transparent Pricing

Because Project Solar makes its solar energy systems available to DIY enthusiasts via delivery, the company has applied and disclosed a flat-rate pricing model to help curb the cost of adopting solar energy.

The company does not discriminate based on state incentives, and calculates its price in terms of price per watt — meaning the cost of equipment and/or labor per watt of clean, renewable the system is designed to produce:

• Equipment — $1.19 – $1.40 per watt
  • Full-Service Installation — $1.54 – $1.75 per watt

All of these figures reduce significantly once state and federal incentives (like the Federal Tax Credit) area applied. Once the customer is ready to move forward with the projected quote, Project Solar requires a $100 deposit.

As a bonus, Project Solar provides customers with a free solar ROI calculator that analyzes roof layout and past utility bill costs to produce a custom solar system built for maximum solar savings.

Sufficient Workmanship Warranty

Though the company focuses mainly on designing systems that almost any homeowner can install without professional help, Project Solar does offer professional solar installation services, with a workmanship warranty of 10 years — considered the industry average.

Most solar companies warranty their systems against damage or errors caused during the installation process, as well as the cost of accompanying maintenance, for anywhere between 5 and 25 years.

The Bad

• No Lease or PPA
  • Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels

No Lease or PPA

As Project Solar is mainly interested in helping customers take full advantage of all available solar incentives — many of which are only available to customers who own their systems — the option to rent a system via solar lease or buy solar energy via a power purchase agreement (PPA) is not a part of the company’s financing product.

Instead, Project Solar requires a $250 deposit from both DIY customers and homeowners interested in full-service installation. For DIY customers, full payment (either in cash or via a solar loan) is required before parts can be delivered; for professional installation, half the payment is due upfront and half after the system has been installed.

Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels

Customers should be aware that if they opt for panels from Panasonic, LG or any other manufacturer not mentioned in Project Solar’s standard set, the price of their solar panel system will increase.

This price variance is true of all solar panel installation companies. That said, Project Solar’s standard package with panels from Jinko Solar will satisfy the energy needs of most customers.

The Bottom Line

Project Solar has a unique approach to solar installation that translates to greater savings for everyday customers. Its top-of-the-line solar equipment and flat-rate pricing model are attractive selling points for DIY enthusiasts and solar supporters alike.

Customers should note that solar lease and PPA options are not available through Project Solar, and they are encouraged to read verified Project Solar reviews to see if this company is right for them.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More About Our Guarantee

bookmark

Featured Review

SF Bay Area Customer Walnut Creek, CA

First off they were about 1/2 the cost of Costco SunRun, Semper Solaris, and SunPower for equivalent power. Once all the documentation was collected the install process was quick and professional. The system has been online for 8 months and has generated 7.8MwH. The home has consumed 3.3MwH in that time with AC running for weeks with temps over 90 and going over 100 degrees. And our Oven and Dryer are electric. (Gas Heat and Hot Water). We got monthly email notices from PGE that our bill will be $500 for the month. Then the bill comes and gas and electric are less than $50. Last month it was $10, August was $14. (PGE must capture consumption and only net the energy sold back to them at the end of the month). Question: would you pay $10,000 (6KwH system) to never have another electric bill? PGE electricity costs have more than doubled in the 20 years we’ve lived here making this an easy investment. This is our 3rd with solar and the lowest cost to install. We expect a 4-5yr breakeven. One way they save money is avoiding multiple trips to inspect the site. That’s on you to take pictures, fill out a couple forms, and keep the project moving forward. Start to finish (after doing cost and reference checks with all the suppliers, and several design reciews) was about 3 months.

bookmark

Featured Review

Eric Salisbury Sacramento, CA

Honestly, project solar is exactly what I have been looking for… I have wanted to “go solar” but the quotes were always crazy high. After receiving 3 quotes for over $40,000 from different solar companies I had pretty much given up on buying solar. Then one day, I saw a project solar Facebook ad and my quote was so low I thought it was a scam at first. My concerns fled quickly as I spoke to Project Solar staff and everything came together really easy! They handled all of the permitting and paperwork for me and I got my entire system installed for just over $19,000 (without me lifting a finger because I did not choose the DIY option). I would absolutely recommend Project Solar to everyone… in fact I already have to several people!

Viii Kooo Middleburg, FL

Project Solar offered the best price and an excellent project execution timeline. Can't complain about the maintenance support so far: had one warranty fix and it went as smoothly as I could have imagined. I highly recommend this company, but please do your research before switching to solar. Things to question before going solar: a) does your electricity provider offer 1:1 net metering? b) include the possibility of buying an electric vehicle in the future, so the system should be oversized for that; c) take into account the sun azimuth angles (especially during winter time) and any possible shades from the trees next to your roof where the solar panels will be installed. Think how that can change in 10-15-20 years.

Nico Eleanor Los Angeles, CA

Project Solar has Extremely good price transparency. It has both the iPhone sales model in term.of simplicity and mom/pop shop style of support. After 6 months, q strong summer and a cold winter, the panels are as good as new! The only negative is that, since they are a remote company, I had to go to he city hall to pull the permits. Project Solar guided me through the process and it was very smooth. I ended up liking this better because there was no delay in the process as I applied for the permits right away.

Q Switch

I am very happy I went with Project Solar. A friend who obsessively researches every major purchase recommended them to me. They came in at about half of what other companies quoted and used the same components the other companies do. The employees are helpful and friendly, and unlike other solar companies that heavily advertise, they have no salespeople and are upfront about prices. Other companies I contacted were extremely high-pressure with endless spam calls and shady upselling. There’s none of that Project Solar. One thing is that you do have to do some the legwork on your own, but the lack of pressure sales and upselling, and the cost savings are worth it. I highly recommend Project Solar.

Eric

It was by far the most economical option. There was some changeover happening because the company's growing, so I had like 3 different changes between advisors and that was a little bit confusing. So everyone had to get re-caught-up every time we switched advisors. They came out and installed everything within one day and it works like a charm. The company also came out and checked everything again after we had a hurricane because I think there was a little bit of movement happening and they were out the next day. So it was a really solid company that Project Solar found. I know this goes with the idea of building and growing and that's just part of how it goes, but I have some family who lives in middle America who has not been able to work with Project Solar because you guys haven't quite gotten to their location yet. So just know that you have customers in probably Oklahoma and Kansas who are looking to use you when possible, but haven't been able to just because Project Solar hasn't gotten there yet.

Christian

So we had a plan and they came over and did a drone fly. They inspected my roof line. They said where to put the panels and they called me to schedule the date. They did it according to my needs, meeting all rules and regulations and they said all the permits were taken care of for me. I really didn't have to do it. They did it all for me. And I haven't had no issues. I'm going on a year with the equipment and as I use the application, I see my system and I believe it's performing to what I was expecting. I'm pulling out the kilowatts that I expected, and actually I'm pulling a little more than what I was expecting. And the app and the way of monitoring is very easy to operate. They were there to answer my questions and they were with me the whole process. I really appreciate the transparency of the process and cutting off those middle people that make your budget become very pricey. I had a quote before that for $60,000 and when I went with Project Solar, after my rebates, I'm gonna be around the mid to 2,000 so it's a big chunk of money other companies are trying to take and Project Solar will get you what you need for a fair price. They're very good panels, Enphase equipment is top notch equipment, and I appreciate just looking out for people who really would like to save a hundred or two hundred a month on their projects and I'm even saving more, so thank you.

Locke Brillhart Denver, CO

The only company to buy solar from. I paid what the equipment costs and a fair wage to the installers. Not what 20 years of electricity costs. Project Solar took me through the whole process. They’re busy so it takes a little patience. But in the end I have a quality system.

Trump My Record

Made the process very easy. I was comfortable I was getting the best deal for my money. I did a lot of research before hand and had a few questions that were key to making my decision to go with project solar. Every question I had they answered with the answer I was looking for. Would highly recommend

Mas Yusuf San Leandro, CA

They have great service and provided my solar panels at a very reasonable price. Took some time getting them installed but it was worth the wait. Out of my 20 panel one was bad and they where able to get it replaced and I didn't even have to be home which was a time saver.

Ivy Makelin Orange, CA

Overall I had a good experience with Project Solar and it was the most economical solar system after I compared around 30 companies. The equipment is top quality. The solar system is working well and if we ever need solar again, this is the company we would choose!

Chandan Benjaram San Francisco, CA

[UPDATE] Grant from the executive team followed-up and turned around the whole experience to something very positive & caring for customers. He also acknowledged new process that is put in place as a result of this learning for betterment going forward. -- original review Beginning September of 2022, I have reached out to a few solar installers for doing my home solar installation here in Livermore. Multiple bidders came by my home to inspect the roof before providing a quote and commitments. Some local installers in fact walked me through the process including on how they are going to do and what needs to be done as part of a preparation work. In the process of awarding the project, I have also contacted ProjectSolar(registered as Silverline Home Remodeling Inc). ProjectSolar representative over the phone asked me to put down the security deposit, which I did. Also, when I inquired about what if they can’t do the project, especially if they are committing to do the work without a field visit, the representative of ProjectSolar advised that my security deposit will be refunded entirely. In the following days, Project Solar sent me multiple designs via email and I constantly brought up the roof support for solar panels(sheathing to support panels was not there on this old roof) to their attention from day one and the need for visiting the job site before finalizing designs and applying for city permits. Without my approvals or field visit they went ahead and also applied for city permits without visiting the place by this time! At this point, things started worrying me very much. Horror stories of contractors leaving the project site abandoned in the middle of a project or failed inspections! I wasn’t looking forward to the horror. After constantly reminding them to check out the place in person, over the phone Project Solar representative said they will send someone to check out the job site. Great! I have particularly asked if there is going to be a fee for that site check, and they said(over the phone), there wont be. As it is a minimum thing for a contractor, I had neither agreed nor authorized any charges for job site inspection from them to come and check if they can do the job. ProjectSolar finally sent a couple of guys to my home, as expected, they came back saying re-roofing needs to be done in order to install solar. Which is what I was raising as a possible issue from day one over and over. So the representative calls me and says I have to do the re-roof. When I asked them if they could provide a quote for re-roof, they came back saying they do not do the re-roofing at all. Advised me to get it done outside. Since they said they can not proceed at this time, I have advised them to cancel the project so I can go with some better knowledgeable installers in this field. As required, they went ahead and canceled the project. I still see permits pulled under their name from the Alameda county website even today. This is where the drama around billing unfolds. To my surprise, despite getting a promised security deposit back, Project Solar sent me a billing notice of $1462.05 on September, 28th, 2023. I’ve immediately responded, saying I neither aware of these charges nor given any authorization to do so for this project. Their billing department kept insisting the contract was signed and so I have to pay with penalties! After I advised them to not email me, instead, contact through postal mail, they’ve still sent threatening emails to put me through collections. Within a month, they have also added finance charges bringing the total to: $1,608.26 by October 18th, 2023! And puts me through collections instead of arbitration or claims court. As a consumer, I felt like I was being falsely advised and threatened with this company’s practices. For now, filing complaints with the California state licensing board and also dealing with collections agencies as I write this review.

2 months ago Edited December 13, 2023

Jayson

Customer Review Video

There was one manager that carried me through from beginning to end until it came time for permitting. When his job was finished and the next person took over, they did excellent. They used a subcontractor in my town and it went great. I have great support even until today. If there are any problems, the subcontractor comes out and checks everything. The price is the best. The quality is excellent. At first I didn't believe they were a legitimate company, but I had to do all the legwork and found out they are.

They arrived promptly, they did the job as described, and they were careful. They took my concerns into account and it was done in the day, which was amazing. I enjoyed working with them and the technical follow up was very good, very clear. There was kind of a lull between one part of the project and the next and I had to kind of intervene to call one of the vendors directly. It wasn't until I called the electrician directly that I got what I wanted. So everybody was really positive and nice, but I had to intervene which seemed kind of unfortunate.

John

They always answer your questions, if you have any. They were very good. The whole process is long. In the beginning they put up a certain amount of panels to offset my electricity. However, it's obviously the hottest summer on record, but it doesn't seem to be enough. In other words, the amount I'm paying in my electric bills in January, February, March are minimal and now they're 10 times as high, so it doesn't seem like it was enough. Although this is an odd summer, so I'm not sure if this is an anomaly.

Eric Bower Leander, TX

Project Solar took care of everything. They were efficient and my system works like a charm. Additionally their price was better than any others I evaluated.

Jeff Hubenak Weatherford, TX

After talking too several solar companies Project Solar was the best. Not only did they beat the prices of competitors they did not have a high pressure salesman. Would definitely recommend them.

Marco Ramirez Fairfield, CA

Project Solar is great. They are far less inexpensive than the competition; their customer service is friendly, professional and the people that worked with me made sure the work was done right. Highly recommended!

Gilbert Torres

I got quotes from over 10 companies but they could not beat the pricing of project solar. No middleman that will call and pressure u. I got 395w q cell panels and enphase inverters and I saved almost 10k or even more. It got installed and running in 3 months but worth the wait!!

Richard Clark

This is my 3 solar system that I have done but the first time using project solar. They were on schedule and were reasonable with the price. I would definitely use them again but I’m not planning on moving anymore. It’s been over a year now and I have had zero issues !

Marc Salt Lake City, UT

Reply from Project Solar

Thank you, Marc! We really appreciate this review, and we're so grateful that you decided to stick with us through our growing pains. It's wonderful to hear that we were able to provide a worthwhile investment. We've passed this feedback on to our team and management to help improve our processes as much as possible. Thanks for choosing Project Solar!

Sep. 14th, 2023

Al Curtis Denver, CO

I would have given Project Solar 5 stars on price alone. I had them perform a complete turnkey installation for about half the price that three other companies bid. I was originally thinking of DIY for my solar but then realized it was too large of a project. I had done a lot of research on solar system hardware cost and Project Solar's bid was the same as what I could have purchased it for online. As a pleasant surprise the installation charge was very reasonably priced. Because of our local power company dragging its feet, It took a long time to get the system installed. But on the flipside Project Solar had not charged me any money until the system was ready to be put in. It has been in for around three months now and my electric bills are zero dollars with credits

xXAnchormonXx

Solid company, I received 4 bids and 2 of them were 3-4 times the price of project solar, pricing was transparent and the installers were great. No complaints here!

Sheffie Kalat-Malho Edmonton, AB

They provided professional service at the best price that I can find! I was even able to remotely manage a lot of the process due to the great online platform they offer. Highly recommended over local installers!

James

I think it's a good deal for the money. It's kind of hard to get a hold of them. It does the job that we need to do, but we might have needed more solar panels, about 5 more panels.

Kent Smith

Seamless!! I have talked with many solar companies and neighbors with solar on their roofs. My conclusion, I should have done this a long time ago. Project Solar was knowledgable, efficient, and easy to work with. These guys know the rules, regulations and the products out there in their industry. And, as an added benefit, they were far less expensive than any other company I could find. So you know, I am the type who is very detailed and will do an exhaustive search for the best deal. In my estimation, you will not have buyer’s remorse or be disappointed.

Reply from Project Solar

Thank you so much for this review, Kent! Our team will really appreciate this feedback, and we're thrilled that you had such a positive experience with our service and pricing. Enjoy your savings, and thanks again!

Nov. 3rd, 2023

Michael

They're very attentive and want to solve your problem. They're very hands on and care about the individual customer, but because they're small, there was a onetime organization issue that caused confusion and made it hard to get in contact with the right person. I check the system every couple of day on the app. It gives very good details on the production: which spots on the roof are getting more sunlight and it aligns with what we're seeing from our electricity from our utility company. The team of contractors came out and installed the panels in one day. They had to make minor changes to the design because of something on my roof that they weren't aware of. They also changed the person in charge- he was really nice and helpful and talked with us a lot so yeah good experience

Venkata

The team came on time. Whenever you have any issue with the vendors, the Project Solar team is following up with them and they're getting the issues fixed.

Donna Gannon

November will be 2 years that we started our project. Finalized in January and we are thrilled with our electric bill now. My true up for this year is $219 for the year!!!! I am one to run my air conditioning almost all year My bills used to be $500 $600 a month. The process was different because you have to take some pictures yourself You have to answer the questions however very easy and wonderful people to work with. I would recommend them 10 times In fact I have. Keep going project solar you rock

Reply from Project Solar

Thank you so much, Donna! It's wonderful to hear about your amazing solar savings. We're delighted that you decided to choose Project Solar!

Nov. 3rd, 2023

Rick Mayo Westminster, CO

Solar is finally practical, Project Solar pricing made the difference. I had been looking at solar for a few years, but the high prices never made sense to me. Project Solar's low price made the difference to me. The ROI math finally worked. The solar covers over 100% of my electric usage. I wish I would have found them sooner.

9 months ago Edited February 12, 2024

Reply from Project Solar

Thanks for your review, Rick! We're glad that everything worked out in the end, and we're sorry for the issues you experienced with permitting. We've passed this feedback on to our team to better improve our processes and service. Thank you again for sharing, and enjoy your system!

May. 19th, 2023

Dhiren

Good corperation, the project got delayed a little, but it may be partially due to some people not being available due to Covid or otherwise but generally good customer service. Very smooth. They give us the best panels, their workmanship was good and overall all the equipment they provided and all my current inverters are all good quality so I think it worked out. My experience was excellent.

Raheem

There was great customer service at every point throughout the whole process. The technician on the phone followed up with me when he noticed that my system was offline. Everyone was very thoughtful. I like that the app interface is simple and easy to use. I would recommend Project Solar to a friend.The installation process was very quick, smooth, and seamless. All the technicians that came to install were always very kind and tidy so it was a great experience. Overall, I am very satisfied with the work that was done.

Wolfe-Johnson Daytona Beach, FL

Primary note I am a strong DYI person and have an non standard install however, I think because this is a build a system how you want it worked very well for me. I needed a ground mount system for a manufactured home. But they were able to quickly work with me and clear up any issues that I might have with derating my panel and finding homeowners insurance that is required in my state so that when everything was said and done the inspectors and power company gave it a seal of approval. The only issues that I had is that some of the blue printing process felt a little slow.

1 year ago Edited February 6, 2024

Ricardo

More reasonably priced than competitors. Every time I called when I had a question or even an email they would always respond to me pretty quickly in a timely manner. It was pretty straightforward.For install I just basically opened the house for them and they just did what they had to do. Everything was pretty smooth other than a big issue with the city permitting but other than that that's the city issue it's not really an issue with project solar.

Vamsi Kakuru San Jose, CA

Very quick with the process. Didn't face any issues with the installation. Very economic compared to other companies

Grant

I had a dedicated Rep that was really helpful to me. I really wanted Enphase equipment so I think that's the best in the business.

Will Seale Indiana, PA

My overall take on Project Solar is they are a good company with some of the best prices. I liked getting quotes on DIY or the full install (add $7742 to the total) so I could see how much I saved doing it myself.

10 months ago Edited January 29, 2024

Reply from Project Solar

Thank you for this feedback, Will. We're constantly working on improving our processes and service as much as we can, and hearing from our customers is invaluable. It is amazing to hear that you are happy with your system and it's price, and we'll be here to assist if any issues do pop up in the future. Thank you for choosing us for your install!

Apr. 26th, 2023

Joe

Project Solar has good equipment. I would recommend Project Solar to a friend. The cost is good. There was a slight lack of communication in the delivery process, but I was very pleased with the workers' persistence and staying on the job.

Haogang

Luis

they're using the best equipment from the market right now at a better price than every other company that quoted us. Basically, I ordered all the materials from Project Solar. They got delivered to my home and I installed it myself. A couple weeks later the electric company came by and hooked it up.

Josh

Overall I had a good experience with Project Solar, but sometimes it took them a while to get back to me. Some mistakes were made during the installation process but they were very upfront and took responsibility for it. They replaced the thing that they had damaged and made it right.

Wade

I was able to pick whatever I wanted. The install was done in about a day and a half and it looks great. Most every time I called I got somebody on the phone, only a few times I had to wait for somebody to call me for day or so.

Joe Madden Mobile, AL

Excellent product with great support that is very easy for a do-it-yourself person.

Andrew Enoch Arlington, TX

Project Solar offers full install and self-install options. I chose the DIY option for my house in DFW (Texas). I oversized my system to account for my shade from my trees (they're old and very tall), degradation of the panels, and increased usage (if you can get free/cheap power then why not run the AC a degree or two colder?). I currently have bill credits. The process was really simple. Installing it wasn't hard, just time consuming, but I'm also handy, especially with electrical. They promptly answered the couple of questions I had. I had two hangups... The first was that my city didn't want to give me a permit. I had to convince my city that I was capable and knew what I was doing. The second was on Project Solar... I needed a placard and some stickers to pass inspection. It happened that they were switching suppliers, which caused about a month delay getting it inspected (but I already had permission to operate and turned the system on). Overall, I saved around 20k compared to the average quote from everyone else and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Reply from Project Solar

Wow, thank you so much for the awesome review, Andrew! It's amazing to hear that you had such a positive experience with us, and that our DIY option worked out so well for you. We're sorry to hear about the hangups you experienced with permitting and placards, but we're glad that everything got squared away in the end. Thank you again for choosing Project Solar, and for sharing your feedback!

Apr. 26th, 2023

Dorian “The Unknown Realtor” Moffat Dallas, TX

Did what they said they would. Price was 1/2 what the local solar slingers were offering. Couldn't be more satisfied.

William

They are very responsive, answered all my questions. I've had no problems with it whatsoever since it's been installed.

Marco V Mariti Crete, NE

Great pricing, engineering was simple, and warranty on battery was honored 100%. I will use Project Solar again.

Reply from Project Solar

Thank you so much for this review, Marco! We are so glad to hear that your experience met our standards. We appreciate you!

Sep. 20th, 2023

Torben Walters Alamosa, CO

Everything went smooth. We live in a rural area so it took a little longer for the install to happen.

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Torben! Thank you for sharing this review. We're glad that we were able to provide the quality product we strive for, even if it took a bit longer than expected. Enjoy your system!

Sep. 14th, 2023

Dave Chesapeake, VA

If you want to save money by installing the system yourself but want it properly engineered and permitted, with quality components like microinverters, then Project Solar is your path.