Best Company Guarantee Project Solar Logo

Project Solar

8.3

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

LAST UPDATED: February 20th, 2024

Project Solar is a professional solar installation company that also offers customers a do-it-yourself option.

Founded in 2016, the company is dedicated to reducing the cost of going solar by reducing overhead, streamlining its lean infrastructure, and doing away with the door-to-door sales force so many other solar companies have come to rely upon. Instead, the company employs a salsmen-free calculator that pulls from multiple government APIs to accurately measure and predict the solar performance of a given customer's roof. In short, Project Solar can give homeowners an accurate solar quote in real-time

Through its expertly designed solar panel systems, Project Solar aims to not only make solar affordable, but also accessible to anyone wishing to save money on their utility bill and achieve energy independence.

The Good

• High-Quality Solar Equipment
  • DIY Solar Option
  • Transparent Pricing
  • Sufficient Workmanship Warranty

High-Quality Solar Equipment

Project Solar sources its solar equipment from a number of top-level manufacturers. It’s standard solar set features panel from Jinko Solar, which come with a 25-year equipment warranty and an energy efficiency of more than 20 percent — considered an elite rating in the solar industry. The company also uses Enphase micro inverter modules and ranking equipment from industry leader Iron Ridge that can be affixed to either asphalt or tile roof types.

If customers wish to upgrade their panels, Project Solar has partnered with the following manufacturers:

• Aptos
  • Q CELLS
  • LG
  • Panasonic

In short, regardless of budget, Project Solar has a solution for everyone.

DIY Solar Option

Project Solar aims to turn the traditional solar business model on its head by providing customers with the option to install the solar PV system themselves. To accomplish this, and make the process as simple as possible for customers, Project Solar’s expert team handles the design, engineering, permitting, and final electrical work.

Meanwhile, all the customer needs to do is climb up on the roof and affix the mounting equipment, screw on the solar panels, and run the wires to the home’s electrical panel — and save thousands of dollars in the process.

DIY Solar installation through Project Solar is available across the majority of the continental United States (jurisdiction permitting).

Transparent Pricing

Because Project Solar makes its solar energy systems available to DIY enthusiasts via delivery, the company has applied and disclosed a flat-rate pricing model to help curb the cost of adopting solar energy.

The company does not discriminate based on state incentives, and calculates its price in terms of price per watt — meaning the cost of equipment and/or labor per watt of clean, renewable the system is designed to produce:

• Equipment — $1.19 – $1.40 per watt
  • Full-Service Installation — $1.54 – $1.75 per watt

All of these figures reduce significantly once state and federal incentives (like the Federal Tax Credit) area applied. Once the customer is ready to move forward with the projected quote, Project Solar requires a $100 deposit.

As a bonus, Project Solar provides customers with a free solar ROI calculator that analyzes roof layout and past utility bill costs to produce a custom solar system built for maximum solar savings.

Sufficient Workmanship Warranty

Though the company focuses mainly on designing systems that almost any homeowner can install without professional help, Project Solar does offer professional solar installation services, with a workmanship warranty of 10 years — considered the industry average.

Most solar companies warranty their systems against damage or errors caused during the installation process, as well as the cost of accompanying maintenance, for anywhere between 5 and 25 years.

The Bad

• No Lease or PPA
  • Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels

No Lease or PPA

As Project Solar is mainly interested in helping customers take full advantage of all available solar incentives — many of which are only available to customers who own their systems — the option to rent a system via solar lease or buy solar energy via a power purchase agreement (PPA) is not a part of the company’s financing product.

Instead, Project Solar requires a $250 deposit from both DIY customers and homeowners interested in full-service installation. For DIY customers, full payment (either in cash or via a solar loan) is required before parts can be delivered; for professional installation, half the payment is due upfront and half after the system has been installed.

Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels

Customers should be aware that if they opt for panels from Panasonic, LG or any other manufacturer not mentioned in Project Solar’s standard set, the price of their solar panel system will increase.

This price variance is true of all solar panel installation companies. That said, Project Solar’s standard package with panels from Jinko Solar will satisfy the energy needs of most customers.

The Bottom Line

Project Solar has a unique approach to solar installation that translates to greater savings for everyday customers. Its top-of-the-line solar equipment and flat-rate pricing model are attractive selling points for DIY enthusiasts and solar supporters alike.

Customers should note that solar lease and PPA options are not available through Project Solar, and they are encouraged to read verified Project Solar reviews to see if this company is right for them.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More About Our Guarantee

LR Rio Linda, CA

I was very pleased with Project Solar overall. The quality of the panels and equipment was first-rate and the workmanship as well. The people at Project Solar were very nice. We have had the panels for 2 years and have had zero issues with them; everything works great and our electric bills are almost zero. And - the best part - I got this system for HALF the price of all the other bids. The whole system (5.5 kW with Enphase microinverters) cost me $12,000. The only problem I had was that the company seemed rather disorganized at the time (they said they were new and starting out) and took many months to put the project together; they made a mistake on the permit application and had to apply for a permit revision. When everything finally got straightened out, it went smoothly and we are happy with the end product and the price.

Barbara Geach Reno, NV

It has saved us a ton in our electric bill and the cost to out right buy the solar panels made it affordable. My only complaint is it took a lot of time from the beginning to actual production. Also some times the availability and communication from project solar could have been better.

Allan

They had to contract out to the company in Denver to do the installation and it took literally seven months to have it installed because they came out multiple times. They didn't have things right so they had to redo something for the electric company. That wasn't necessarily Project Solar's fault, but it was a huge hassle going with an independent company that wasn't right where I lived, because they were quite a ways away and it took multiple trips and it was hard to get them down here and get it all finished. It took longer than it should have and it was just a hassle dealing with a separate install company. They changed my project manager about five times during the process of getting this job done. I think it's good equipment, efficient solar panels, and the Enphase inverters and interface is such that I can see how much it's producing for each panel. I think all that's good.

Jeff

I did self install. The instructions were generally good enough that I was able to figure it out. They had to send some additional documentation, but overall it was good. They were the only company that offered a DIY solution. Even if I would have used their installers, it was still more affordable than the other four bids that I received. Mostly I was pleased. There were a few gotchas in the process that took some going back and forth to resolve. If I were doing this again, I would absolutely look at them and consider them first just because overall it was a great experience and I'm happy with the end result.

Nicholas Regis Portland, OR

Would be 5 stars if not for a delay on the contractors part that prevented system turn on for months due to missing stickers. Team was otherwise great to work with. Very happy with install once sticker issue was resolved. System performance has been flawless for 1st year.

Jason Santa Clara, CA

Good overall experience! The only drawback was communication delays. It is very rare, if ever, that you can actually call and speak to someone on the phone regarding your project questions or issues. I can say that all of my emails were answered however, the response time frames ranged from a few minutes to a few days. Not ideal when you are in the middle of an install and have a technical question.

Reply from Project Solar

Hey Jason! Thank you so much for this review and your feedback. We're always looking to improve our service wherever possible. We've been working to revamp our support structure, and have implemented a Customer Experience Team that is dedicated purely to answering phone calls, chats, and emails during our business hours (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm MT). Our standard response times are 10 seconds for phone calls, 5 minutes or less for chats, and 1 business day for emails. Please reach out to us if there's anything else we can help you with, and enjoy your system!

Sep. 20th, 2023

Dirk Springfield, IL

I liked the price and the quality of the product, it works great just as advertised. What I didn't like was every time I spoke to somebody after I signed the contract, it was a different person....during one specific week, I was passed off to 5 different people....they never seem to know what is going on or where they/you are at in the project/process.....

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Dirk - thank you so much for sharing this review. We are glad that you've been happy with your system and pricing, but we are sorry to hear that our service did not meet expectations. We appreciate your feedback, and have passed this information up the chain to make sure we do all we can to improve our product and process. Thank you again!

Sep. 14th, 2023

John

Almost all of it was excellent, but there was one little glitch and I don't know if that has been corrected. Installation went extremely smoothly, the materials all arrived and the workman who came to install came in the morning. I had to go to the airport and so I wasn't there during most of it by the time I got back picking up my passport at the airport and coming back in the afternoon they were almost done. It was a group of five who came out, and the installation was done very very effectively. I looked at it and the workmanship is all rated excellent. The equipment does function properly, but the connection between the inverters and the matching of the inverters with the panels could possibly have done better.

Anthony

The process was challenging, sometimes the communication was terrible. For example, there was a lack of communication between the product seller pm and myself and there was a lack of communication between the project solar pm and the installation company. And then, in the installation, I understand there were changes made, but I wasn't consulted. The installation didn't follow the drawings fully. Generally, I feel like the process was not managed well. I think they did a good job on the physical installation. They painted everything well and everything is secure and safe. I will say that Project Solar has high quality panels, an excellent warranty, and the fee system has great software. It's been a pleasure to work with the software.

Srikanth Palanki

Price is definitely the lowest on market. I would have liked the experience better if I didn’t have keep following up every week on progress and keep things rolling.

Robert D Hayward, CA

Project solar made the whole process of getting solar simple and painless. They walked us through all the steps and took time to answer all of our questions.

Reply from Project Solar

Hi Robert! Thank you so much for sharing this review. We appreciate this positive feedback and we're pleased that your process went smoothly. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns about your system - we hope you enjoy your savings!

Sep. 20th, 2023

Mike

It was going good but when it got to the installation it got to be really screwed up. The installation process was very long and unorganized. It took 3 months from the time they all agreed to the time of installation and currently I still have one that's bad and I can't seem to get it replaced. But they did call me and answer my question when I had one.

Ro-Tien Liang Parker, CO

Affordable prices and responsible services. Does take a few tries to get service attention but always comes through. Can’t beat the value.

Corbin

I have had no problems with customer support, they were really responsive and they always followed up with any concerns that I had. The product is very high quality. I think the only thing that was a little bit disappointing is the installation crew left a little bit of a mess. They didn't clean up everything.

Claridge

There was a slight lack of communication but other than that it was a very good experience. They were very clear with what they needed when they communicated. The material is top notch and the process of installing the panels went very smoothly.

Eric Johnson North Salt Lake, UT

Price was good but installation started out shakey but improved. The installer was a sub of a sub of a sub who apparently wasn't dedicated to the project. Ultimately it turned out good though.

Joseph

I like the equipment that Project Solar uses, I have been happy with it. I don't remember having issues with the installation process, I have used Project Solar for almost a year now and everything has been fine.

Robert

I had lot of questions and then we saw they no longer called anybody I had to do everything, so I was little bit disappointed with the changed of policy to that. Installation went fine.

Darren Kwok Phoenix, AZ

Liked: Unbeatable pricing. Disliked: Have to do some of the leg work yourself or your project will stall. Had to act as liaison between project solar and city planning dept when trying to get plans approved. Had to print out my plans, and pay and pull my own building permits (Project Solar refunded any out of pocket costs). For the price, the inconvenience of having to do some of the administrative work yourself was worth it.

Reply from Project Solar

Hey Darren! Thank you for your honest review of our company. We appreciate this feedback, and we'll pass it on to our post-contract teams to improve our processes and service for future customers. We're excited about some new laws in states like California that require a streamlined electronic permitting process for jurisdictions--this should, in turn, help us streamline our permitting process as well. Thank you again for sharing!

May. 22nd, 2023

Ben Budiman San Jose, CA

There is no aggressive high pressure sales with Project Solar. This is my second system, my first one was installed several years back with Sunrun. But, because of COVID, my college age children were back at home, and I worked from home as well. So, our electricity bill jumped up. Since we also may buy an electric car in the future, we decided to add more solar panels. We approached Sunrun, but they can not just expand the existing system since the technology had changed, so it will be a new installation. So, since it is a new installation, we started to shop around. Solar Project by far has the best price. We choose the full installation option, but we still need to do some work like taking a picture of the attic, measuring, etc which is not very easy in my case. The installation took only half a day. However the wait for the system to go online was almost 3 months, and in between we got two/three different project managers. One of them were not communicating well, so I was left in the dark. However, the last project manager, Jentry, is great, and the person that helped me installing the app was really great. So, they made up for the bad experience I had with one of the Project Manager. Overall, the experience were good, kudos to Jazmyn Y who continue to reach out even when she was no longer my account manager. Rudy R from the installation company, Jentry M, and Mark (not sure what the last name is). Thank you.

S Spring Branch, TX

Let me begin by saying that IN SPITE OF all the issues getting through their process, we would do it again based upon the final product and cost. We were able to self- install an 11.5kw system for about $17,000 plus a few hundred dollars more for miscellaneous supplies. We found the process to be cumbersome and it took us over 4 months start to finish. The actual installation took only three days of that time frame (could have been quicker if we were able to get everything in place before summer arrived, because it was just too hot to work on a metal roof in the afternoons). The planning process was frustrating because it was done only through email. It would have been SO MUCH EASIER AND FASTER to have been able to have a brief phone call or two to clear up misconceptions. To be fair, some of the misunderstandings were on our end but still would have taken just a very few minutes to clear up by phone instead of waiting for a daily email to reply to. Once we were through design, we were turned over to Grant to help us through the process. Still more frustrations, such as having to resubmit information we had provided earlier in the process. Once it was time to schedule installation, the installation company backed out of the contract. Although Grant was working to schedule another installer, we opted to go self- install at that point. Good decision, as it was relatively easy to figure out and saved us close to $6000. Components that were specified for our system were out of stock. Grant was able to find a good substitution and had it delivered within just a few days from Ft. Worth, which saved us waiting for our more local San Antonio supplier to restock. Grant was the saving grace to this whole process. He always answered our phone calls and responded to emails quickly. Had it not been for him, we probably would have thrown in the towel and demanded a refund at some point. Once our system was up and running, we received a call from Mark. He helped us get the enlighten software up and running with just a couple of phone calls. Overall, a frustrating experience but worth the effort.

Reply from Project Solar

We are so grateful for your patience as we opened this new area of Texas! We're certainly sorry for the craziness, but we are so glad everything worked out and you went solar for the lowest price in the nation. We are working to improve our processes daily, and your feedback has been helpful in driving our time to install down in the Central Texas Area. We appreciate your feedback and business and hope you enjoy your energy savings!

Aug. 6th, 2021

Gregory

Installation process was slow and steady but they got it done. I had some breakers that broke and it took a while, but they fixed them.

Jose

There was always somebody I could get a hold of but there was a little miscommunication. I was very happy with the installation process.

Jason

With Project Solar, it took a while to actually get a hold of the utility. But it is all functioning correctly and everything is clean.

Amber Beauchamp

It is a very long process. It has been a year but it's finally done and I had to be very persistent for them to get everything finalized and permitted correctly but. We got a -28$ electric bill in February so it is finally working and we are so excited for the future of having to pay less

1 year ago Edited January 26, 2024

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Amber, thank you for your willingness to work with us and your patience throughout the process. We're so glad that your system is now producing as it should, and we appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if you run into any further issues.

Feb. 21st, 2023

Simon

It's good, took maybe three days.

Garen

Customer support was delayed and the installation process went very slowly, but Project Solar is a great company.

I am extremely likely to recommend Project Solar to a friend. The company is cost effective and the process is easy.

Allan F Visser Kissimmee, FL

Customer Review Video

Morgan

The pricing was competitive and the ease of use was fantastic. My only complaint is that all available options were not discussed with me.

Reply from Project Solar

Hey Morgan! Thank you so much for sharing. We're sorry that we didn't communicate as effectively as we could have, but we're so happy that your process went smoothly. Please reach out if there's anything else we can help you with, and enjoy your system!

Apr. 26th, 2023

Christopher DeYoung Rosamond, CA

Everything was good but process communication was a little wanting