PetersenDean Logo

PetersenDean

LAST UPDATED: June 22nd, 2022

PetersenDean has been installing solar systems and roofs for residences and businesses since 1984, which is much longer than many other solar installers have been in business. The privately held contractor works to provide residential and commercial customers with high-quality solar panels and roofs, helping them take the next step towards energy independence.

The PV installer has a unique market approach because it has roofing solutions that are often part of the solar panel installation process. Residential energy storage solutions and battery backup options are available as well. The solar company believes that high standards are reached through the best quality, craftsmanship, and working materials.

A potential drawback with PetersenDean is its limited availability and lack of options for a solar lease or power purchase agreement (PPA).

Note: This review primarily focuses on PetersenDean Solar. If you're interested in PetersenDean Roofing, you can read our PetersenDean Roofing review here.

The Good

• Excellent Transparency
  • Buy and Loan Options Available
  • Low-Hassle Installation Process
  • 25-Year Warranty

Excellent Transparency

PetersenDean Solar is unique compared to other solar power companies in the industry because it discloses the price of its services. You can go to the company's website, select your state, and see pricing information for different packages and solar power systems.

PetersenDean Solar packages start off with a minimum of 6 panels, which generate 1.68kW of power, and increase by increments of six to a max of 36 panels, which produce 10.08 kW of power. The residential solar installer advertises the use of high quality, American-made products in its solar modules.

PetersenDean Solar also took the time to display the federal and state tax credits that come along with system ownership and calculate those into the price.

Buy and Loan Options Available

The solar PV company's payment options include buying the system outright or getting a loan. PetersenDean's Freedom Flex loan allows customers to go solar for $0 down with no interest or payments for the first 12 months. Plus, there are no pre-payment penalties on the loan.

Low-Hassle Installation Process

PetersenDean strives to make its solar installation process simple and low-hassle for customers. The process is as follows:

1. Professional consultation: Consumers may calculate their savings online or call PetersenDean to get a free estimate over the phone
  2. System design: The solar energy company will measure the roof and find the best placement for solar panels
  3. Installation: The install will be carried out by true professionals with decades of residential roofing and solar experience to ensure that the system is built right and the roof is protected
  4. Final inspection and power up: Proper inspections will be made by the local building authorities and utility, and then the system will be powered up and begin producing energy

25-Year Warranty

PetersenDean Solar has one of the best warranty options in the solar industry, which covers you for 25 years and guarantees a certain level of production.

If you decide to make changes to your system after a roof or solar panel has already been installed, you'll be able to take advantage of the contractor's reinstallation guarantee. If you want to upgrade your system through PetersenDean, the solar installer's trade-in guarantee promises that PetersenDean will buy back the original system. If you end up moving, your Protection Plan will be transferred to the new home owners.

The Bad

• No Leases or PPAs
  • Limited State Availability
  • Reported Customer Service Issues

No Leases or PPAs

PetersenDean does not offer any leases or PPAs. There are benefits and disadvantages with every payment option, but leases and PPAs help eliminate barriers to going solar because there is no down payment required.

Some customers may not have the savings to buy a solar system outright or the credit to get a loan, so offering a solar lease or PPA would provide opportunities for more consumers to take advantage of renewable energy with PetersenDean.

Limited State Availability

PetersenDean is currently available in only six states: Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada, and Texas. This is relatively few when compared to some other top solar companies that are available in more than 15 states.

There is an opportunity for this solar installer to grow and broaden its reach, therefore giving more consumers the chance to purchase one of its solar systems.

Reported Customer Service Issues

Several user reviews on our site explain that one of the major issues with PetersenDean is its customer service. There seems to be some miscommunication between the corporate offices and its regional dealers, which causes delays getting solar PV modules and roofing systems installed.

On top of that, PetersenDean does not have a good reputation for dealing with customer complaints. There have been a few cases reported where legal action was taken in order to resolve the issue.

The Bottom Line

Overall, PetersenDean is a great company to consider for a solar installation if you live in one of the states it services, especially if you are interested in solar roofing systems and/or solar and battery systems. The solar contractor does an excellent job of being transparent by disclosing pricing and package information on its website, as well as information about federal and state tax credits.

Additionally, the solar energy company has been installing solar for more than 3 decades and has experience in both residential and commercial construction. Further, PetersenDean Solar has one of the best warranties in the industry. In addition to providing rooftop solar services, PetersenDean is also a roofing contractor and a battery installer, which is convenient if you are interest in a wider variety of product offerings.

However, PetersenDean does not offer leases or PPAs, which limits some consumers' ability to find a payment option that meets their needs. If you are someone who is looking to get a lease or PPA, a different solar power installer may be a better fit.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

J19 Oakland, CA

I recently had a combination roof and solar system put in by P&D. I had an original"project manager" for about 3 weeks then replaced by another and one more before I got Ana R, who "got things done" Thank you Ana. Along with the project manager I got a "superannuant" who I thought was going to stay through out the project, but to the best of my knowledge did not. I had a project manager before Ana, who "seemed "like he was going to finally start the solar project ,but left the company without him or his designate letting me know. I'm going to "stop" bad mouthing P&D as Ana R came to my aide "above and beyond" and continued to work with her previous connections to see the job was done and done correctly. Also my hats go off to Chris M who came out personally to my house and made repairs , thank you Chris. And to all the wonderful people I spoke on the phone who were helpful, professional and kind. But the bottom line is that I will NEVER recommend P&D for any roofing or solar need.

Michael Martello

We have a lot of experience hiring contractors and our experience with PD has to be one of the best. We have a concrete tile roof and they were careful and gave me a heads-up about 6-8 broken tiles before they started. We ran into problems with the electric company that had to be involved in my panel change and they went to bat for me and got the electric company to perform a pretty costly upgrade to the wire, at no cost. They met the end of the year deadline and were amazing in their customer communication and care. Can't say enough good things about the experience. We haven't paid an electric bill in nearly 2 years.

c hayward Bakersfield, CA

solar panels were installed several years ago and a year later we upgraded to more panels. while the second addition took some time it was installed. One of the most telling things that happened was the inspector who signed off said he had never seen a more professional job done on installation and wiring. he had seen many done but had not seen such detail and high end equipment used. we are more than pleased and the company continues to help us out-the new project is bird proofing the panels. pigeons love building nests under panels. you might want to include the barriers when installing the panels.

Jack W Harmon Fairfield, CA

This company was very reliable. When we decided to go with PetersonDean they were very helpful in showing what type of Solar that would work for us. I was able to work with them and my homeowners association, had no problems at all. The day of install the installers were fast and had the job completed in one day. My system is 2 years old and running strong no problems at all. Even when the P.G.&E. power went out and I called PetersonDean to help me reset my system after the power outage. They were there the next day and walked me through the restart procedure. This is why I gave them a 5 star rating.

Carl F. Kress Walnut Creek, CA

Petersen Dean responded quickly for my request for an evaluation and quote. All information was evaluated and a preliminary plan was proposed along with a cost estimate within a couple if hours. A financing plan was proposed that would not cost me anything in the long run and everything was set up to go. The detailed inspection was scheduled and the final plans prepares in a reasonable time. The work was scheduled and everything went according to plan. The installation was completed on schedule. The came back once to make adjustments. All coordination with PG&E was done and the system went "on-line" and functioned well. That was two years ago and we have been very happy with the installation and have not paid a cent for electricity since the system was activated. We chose Petersen Dean because they are an experienced roofing company and we did not want anyone installing a system on our roof that might not know what they were doing.

David Guith Atwater, CA

I had 16 panels installed over 1 1/2 years ago by PD. I was talked through the whole process with Jason who also provided links to numerous articles. I was cautious because my first experience was with a firm called Solar Negotiators, which in contrast was very unprofessional, but it claimed veteran ownership and I had a Groupon. I actually signed up, but over the 3-day contract cancellation period, I canceled. Their contractor only had a 10 year warranty and they wanted to only provide a 10 panel layout. PD was efficient, we got the paperwork done and the professional installation crew installed it and within a short time it was inspected and ready to go. I was conservative the first year with my usage and received a measly 2 cents/KHW payback, this year I'll use it all up in luxury seeing that's what the state wants through their incompetent, crooked PUC. Overall: excellent company with excellent product and a 25-30 year warranty. Recommend to friends and anyone who wants a terrific system!

Robin Winterlin

I was truly shocked to see Sun Run rated highly and Petersen Dean more low. Sun Run promotes your renting solar from them and they pocket all the money and just freeze your high PGE bills in place. We asked all the right questions, then realized we wanted to own solar. We went looking for a great solar company. We narrowed it down to Petersen Dean and another company, and chose Petersen Dean due to their lower solar panel price. Both companies we narrowed it down to use the high quality US made solar panels. The work was done impeccably. We have had our 24 solar panels for a year now and our monthly bills with PG&E went from $400 - $500 to $80 to $100 (including gas). We could not have been more happy with the process and Roby Shiroma here in the Bay Area helped us at Petersen Dean. The worked out permits, and scheduled PG&E hookup, gave us accurate estimates that held true, and did a fantastic job. We always tell people to use Petersen Dean. Sure hope folks investigate and get solar for themselves and don't go with renting. And use a company that uses high quality US made solar panels. Everyone in the industry or in Silicon Valley knows that the solar panels from China are worthless. Do your homework. Ask a lot of questions. I would pick Petersen Dean again in a heartbeat.

Gary Weaver Temecula, CA

System was installed exactly as expected. It took some time for the inspections from the City of Temecula, but they kept me informed at all times. The entire process from sales to the final project completion was perfect. The system works perfect along with the individual panel monitoring. I was concerned about possible leaks from the installation but with the rain we received this year, I know there are know issues. It's fun to see the credit building with SCE from the system generating more than we use and at half the price of what I was paying to SCE. I'm sure there are other good options out there as well, but if you don't mind purchasing a system, I would highly recommend PetersenDean.

rick mahoney Petaluma, CA

I bought my solar outright. small mixup on the length of bolts to hold the panels on. that was the only problem. delay one day. no biggie. installers were professional. system worked perfectly. I have had it 1 & 1/2 years now. I keep the panels clean. the PG&E bill is unreadable. you need to be a rocket scientist. bottom line, I always have a credit. gets bigger each month with the angle of the sun. (or angle of the earth). I am very happy with PetersenDean. when it comes time for a new roof on my home I will only trust them to do a metal roof. my solar is on the metal garage building roof .

John Tennyson Ripon, CA

Less than a month ago Petersen Dean (PD) completed my 24 panel solar installation. PD did everything possible to ensure my system was contracted and installed without a hitch. Post installation - I had my usual roof contractor inspect their work and all was fine. Yes, they are more of a cash company, but that only means I will enjoy the tax credit this year.

Nancy Beverly Hills, CA

I am a builder of new communities and had to share my thoughts on how professional PetersenDean is to work with. I have to admit that my first impression of Mark was a rough one, but then I watched him direct his people and build the best looking and performing roof I have ever seen. They also installed 370 feet of cedar fencing and it is the best quality fence I have ever seen in my twenty six years of building homes. I look forward to using PetersenDean in the future.

Ken Wysong San Diego, CA

I have had an excellent relationship so far with Petersen Dean Solar. My sales person Armando, was extremely knowledgeable and gave an excellent presentation in our initial contact. I'm tough on salesmen but he led me through the presentation and was able to understand my concerns. The installation, inspection and startup were right on schedule. I couldn't ask for more. I have referred two friends to Petersen Dean, and I don't take referring companies lightly!

John Lovejoy

PetersenDean did an outstanding job on our solar installation. Their service folks explained what was happening every step of the way. We were quoted both a new roof and solar installation. We opted to have the roof installed by another contractor...with zero pushback from Petersen Dean. When I asked for a change in design to move a couple of panels to a more pleasing location, the work was done without any problems or added cost.

Joel Enkhorn

I purchased a system from Peterson Dean with installation completed in January 2017. The system has worked exactly as stated and I have yet to pay an electric bill for the year. My bills prior to installation were averaging $200 per month. I have a steel roof and no other company would even talk to me about installation, much less a roof warranty after installation. I had one issue where the system was down for a few days but they sent a tech in two days with immediate resolution. I would highly recommend Peterson Dean to anyone looking to buy solar.

Robert Mcclendon Oceanside, CA

I "interviewed" 10 of the top companies in my area. Several didn't even go to the trouble to answer questions. Of those who did, Peterson-Dean provided the best price, warranty, and transparency of offering of any other. Once we committed to them for our PURCHASE, the proposed schedule was met EXACTLY AS PROMISED with complete updates at each stage. We've now been operating for one year with our system providing exactly what it was designed to do. Every aspect has been perfect!!!

Stacie Brach Sacramento, CA

Signing up for solar was a breeze and the customer service was outstanding. Our Representative was always quick to get back to us throughout our process. Our solar was installed in a timely manner, they were careful on our roof and they were always available when we had questions. Best company to go through for roofing and solar. Would definitely recommend.

Phillip Nelson Hager Cathedral City, CA

I heard wonderful things about this company when I lived in San Francisco. Now that I see them i advertiseing in Palm Springs where I live now I thought to give them a call. I had an estimate with the sales rep his iname was Milo, he was unbelievably knowledgeable he has done every facet of the solar system . He could answer any question we have without hesitation we put him through the wringer and was 100% pleased with Peterson Dean I would highly recommend them and I am going to move forward on my installation thank you for great service

Peter Fuller Vacaville, CA

The salesman was nice, gave price over the phone and didn't waste out time. They gave us the best price, and the workmanship was perfect. The connection to PG&E took days after completion (unlike others who take 3 months after completion). And the best warranty also!

PetersenDean Logo

Reply from PetersenDean

Hello Peter, Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. Workmanship is a top priority for PeternsenDean. We appreciate your feedback and we're delighted to have you as our customer. Enjoy your solar savings and thank you for choosing PetersenDean for your Home improvement needs! Kindest Regards, Corporate Customer Relations Petersen Dean Roofing and Solar

Apr. 3rd, 2019

Jim Hunt Bakersfield, CA

Great service and all went well with the install. Have had the panels now for 3 years with no complaints. Up front pricing was the reason we went with them. I called 3 companies. All wanted me to lease. Math doesn't work with leases. They rip you off. PD even help out with the lender. Very happy!!

Tom Spink

We were very impressed with the installation. Workers were efficient and courteous. We only had room for 18 panels and that would produce about 80% of our electrical needs. Our PG&E bill dropped tremendously. I know they are not the cheapest but we feel they make up for that with great workers and product.

Alan Rowland Carson, CA

Solar and roof. Great communication and service throughout the install. Consistently under promised and over delivered. Knowledgeable about local, county, state, and federal requirements. Best business transaction I've had in a long time. Electric bill in Los Angeles averages $20/mon, mostly "fees," not actual usage.

alfredo bona Alameda, CA

Excellent Solar company. They deliver what they promise to the customer. During the survey they discover broken and loose tiles on my roof and replace it with no charge. Project Management provide installation, permit and finance status until the completion of the project. I will refer this solar company to my relatives and friends.

Tricia Y San Jose, CA

PetersenDean installed a new Owens Corning roof and a 36 panel solar power system on my home and the project went very well. From start to completion. The workers were polite and did a great job. We are very happy with the product and service PetersenDean provided.

John Boardman, OR

The owner personally called and told me, John at $84 a month power bill average over a year we would put on a system if you really wanted on, but really you don't qualify for solar at this time, wow not one other company told me that, none of the 6 I have talked at length to.

Nancy San Jose, CA

PetersenDean built a new roof for us on our custom home in Sacramento and also reroof tar home in Piedmont California they did a great job on both roof installations we highly recommend this company

Walter W Domingo

Had my system installed in 2015. Installations was as schedule with no hangups. The personnel both sales and installers were very professional. Any problems were resolved immediately. I would recommend them anytime.

Dave Arendt Antioch, CA

I don't get the low ratings at all. Our experience was great. The installation went as planned and communication was never a problem. I would use this company again and recommend to other.

Jerry Meadows Gilroy, CA

Have had my system now for 1.5 years. Never a problem so I can't comment on customer service. The install was a little delayed but not an issue for me.

Laura Rinker

I bought a system from them in 2014-they fixed a minor roof leak 2017 & sealed all no charge & speedy. I love these folks great system & service.

Evelyn

We called for a quote 7/7/2017nand we are already installed. Just waiting for Edison t switch us over. Couldn't be happier.

Jim Yedor

Simply the Best in the business. Responsive, professional, proactive. Their people clearly have pride in what they do and who they work for.

Renee Ifum Los Angeles, CA

As a result of the solar system, I have had no electric bill. They installed enough solar panels. Love the system.

Bert Craytor Gatlinburg, TN

They did a great job replacing our old roof and then installing 20 panels of solar.

Jolly Brown

I thought they were great and I'll do business with them down the road.

Fritz Grella Orinda, CA

They did it all. In stalled a new roof too. Cheap.

Gail Hesperia, CA

Great service both for install and Customer service.