DISH verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

6.5

Founded in 1980 by Charlie Ergen, Candy Ergen, and Jim DeFranco, DISH has grown from humble beginnings into a Fortune 250 company. It provides satellite TV to roughly 13 million users around the United States. DISH focuses on providing the best value, service, and technology in teh Pay-TV industry. DISH provides a variety of high quality programming to best suit every customer's needs. Additionally, DISH is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ exchange with the symbol "DISH."

The Good

• Competitive Pricing
  • DVR and Other Technology
  • Mobile App

Competitive Pricing

DISH offers a variety of packages, each with its own value and unique price. DISH's emphasis on value definitely holds true with its packages. For example, the "America's Top 120" is the most affordable option, but you still get over 190 channels like USA, CMT, Disney Channel, and ESPN, plus great add-ons like free installation and free HD for life. Depending on the package, you can enjoy upwards of 290 channels to choose from. Unlike some other Satellite TV providers, DISH offers its services in all 50 states in the United States with 24/7.

One feature it holds over other satellite TV providers is free DISH Movie Pack for three months. DISH Movie Pack is a premium movie streaming service only available with DISH packages. Like DIRECTV, DISH Network offers HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, and Showtime free for three months with America's Top 120 package and above.

DVR and Other Technology

DISH's premier product is Hopper 3 HD DVR. The Hopper 3 has a two terabyte hard drive, which is twice that of the Genie, DIRECTV's competing product. With the extra space, the Hopper can store up to 500 hours of HD recordings, more than DIRECTV.

If you ever get tired of commercials, DISH allows you to skip them during primetime programming on major networks. While DIRECTV allows you to view four different shows in four different rooms, DISH increases that standard by allowing six different shows in six different rooms.

If you ever lose your remote, you can use DISH's remote locator to find it. And once you find the remote, you can use it to choose from a selection of 15,000 On Demand movies, which is more than twice that of DIRECTV. Additionally, DISH has upgraded its remotes to include voice recognition. Now you can simply speak commands for an easier TV viewing experience.

Mobile App

DISH also offers its customers a user-friendly app to keep track of their favorite programs while on the go. Currently, they have been given 3.7 out of 5 stars on the Android Apps site for Google Play. There have been between 5,000 and 10,000 installs. New features of the app include the following:

• Home screen that allows user to quickly find content or On Demand.
  • Manage your appointments and programming.
  • DVR compatible control
  • View or pay your bill
  • Troubleshooting help

Learn more about DISH

The Bad

• Two-Year Contract
  • Service and Equipment Issues

Two-Year Contract

DISH requires its customers to sign a two year agreement when officially becoming a part of the DISH family. This is not unlike many other TV providers. DISH provides a ton of information regarding its packages and related fees. Even though you have to sign a two-year contract, there is a welcome assurance that DISH offers a two-year price-lock, which means your monthly rate will not increase over the duration of the contract.

Service and Equipment Issues

Another common user complaint involves problems with equipment and reception services. Having a TV provider that doesn't provide consistently good service is not worth the time or the money. Many customers have felt their service with DISH was poor in this regard, making their experience unsatisfactory. While many are quick to blame DISH as a company, a number of the issues complained about are simply results from the satellite industry as a whole and are not DISH specific. Unfortunately, simple things like weather can seriously impact the equipment and service provided.

The Bottom Line

DISH provides fantastic service for a great price. Coupled with cutting edge technology for your home, DISH is a great choice as a satellite television provider. DISH offers a great HD DVR in the Hopper, which boasts twice the memory and smaller dimensions than its closest competitor. DISH always has great promotions to help make your choice easier.

View Available Packages

2.3

Alicia

December 15th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Was always put on hold way to much money never had half of what I was paying for

Lindsey

December 9th, 2017 American Fork, UT

My family had Dish growing up, and it was a great service. I don't know enough about this market to know what makes one better than another, but it was able to record and fast-forward/rewind.

Matthew Mitchell

December 1st, 2017 Martville, NY DETAILS

Any time I've felt the need to contact Dish, I always received prompt, professional treatment. Any issue I've ever had has been dealt with courtesy. Great company.

Rashad W

December 1st, 2017 Kennesaw, GA DETAILS

While traveling and being a way from home, Dish/dish anywhere has been perfect for me. I am able to experience what’s on my tv at home while in a hotel, office, etc. Been with Dish for years and I’m glad I didn’t switch when pressured by other companies.

Martha Dease

November 22nd, 2017 Wauchula, FL DETAILS

I have never been unhappy with DISH. I gt all the channels I want at a comparably reasonable rate.

Ryan Kappler

November 22nd, 2017 DETAILS

Dish has everything to offer that we watch or need to view. I just do not like the price and how it rises unannounced.

Kathleen Lee

November 22nd, 2017 Tuckerton, NJ DETAILS

Their customer service is unmatched. I’ve had all providers. Comcast, DirecTV but dish is the best.

Cody

November 22nd, 2017 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

Dish is once again in contract dispute with another channel. This time it’s CBS. Last time it was abc and it was out a half week through the weekend to where you missed the College football games such as OU v UT etc etc. this time it’s going through thanksgiving so we will miss the cowboy game Thursday and most like our college football games Saturday.

Jessica C Vesey

November 17th, 2017 Jonesboro, GA DETAILS

They lied about install of 3 rooms. They are charging me for a room I don't use. Even though they said I can. Deactivate the box and not be charged. But BC its leased equipment I can not deactivate the box without returning it also.

Neal Hiller

November 10th, 2017 Parrish, AL DETAILS

The customer service is outstanding! They listen to all your concerns and answer all your questions to their best ability. If they are not sure of the answer they will find it out for you! Very very nice to deal with! And the price! I’m paying almost 3x less than I did with the other satellite tv provider!!! I give Dish a 5 Star on ALL accounts!!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Derek Heiner

November 4th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

My favorite thing about Dish is the ability to watch it from wherever I am from my computer. I also really enjoy being able to record all of the shows i want to watch, it's nice having them available for when it is convenient to me.

Brandon Maughan

October 30th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I've had Dish for several years. I switched to DirecTV at one point, but came back to Dish because of price.

Darrell Wright

October 25th, 2017 Livingston, TX DETAILS

Salesman lied about channels. Price kept rising. Why for free Antenna Channels? Also today's Digital Television makes it possible to get everything you need. Just get or make a good Antenna. MTV stinks, as well.as the many cable channels many grew up watching. You can get HSN & QVC over the air, why do you need to pay for advertisements. Too much paid programming, not enough substance. Too many programs aired repeatedly. Same movies air over and over again. Not worth the upgrade. Antenna Channels offer the older movies, and some newer ones for free. Just add a Roku for additional movies.

sarah misener

October 24th, 2017 Lansing, MI DETAILS

I was disappointed that they didn't inform me I would need a different HOPPER, to get ON-DEMAND

Neil Laumeyer

October 24th, 2017 Dundee, NY DETAILS

Overall I’ve had decent experience with Dish Network. On occasion I have had some representatives who provided misinformation and and attitude and refused to get a supervisor which left us hanging up. The social media team is great though.

Terry Fillmore

October 20th, 2017 Reed City, MI

Dish has chosen to charge a 10.00 fee for any package that includes Fox News. While the Liberal news channels are unencumbered. A clear violation of the 1st Amendment. A class action lawsuit would fix that overnight.

Jackson

October 19th, 2017 Minneapolis, MN

How bad is Dish? Where to begin... For starters we pay about $60/month for 40mbps internet, which for a while wasn't bad. Occasionally their routers would die so we'd have to order a new one or it would drop service and I'd never get it back until tomorrow, but wasn't unbearable. Then I decided to call their "support" line to get it figured out, and it turned into a half hour long pissing contest because they guy was adamant I don't know what I'm talking about, and sub 10mbps is normal (I work in tech support, so I know better). Ever since then, Dish has been throttling my internet on a daily basis, picking high use hours to run speeds below 1mbps (no joke, youtube wouldn't play at 133p). Dish is an awful company that gouges your money and punishes you severely for lack of submission.

pat mets

October 19th, 2017 Shirley, NY

kept my refund if you dont get it back in 90 days they keep it.

A WILLIAMS

October 13th, 2017

I signed up for service they notified and arrived as scheduled. After installation i noticed my promo stations werent activated so i called and had them activated i was unable to get my hbo year promo from the rep on the phone so i mentioned it in the follow up survey and it was fixed in 15min A+++++++ very satisfied

Rex

October 12th, 2017

They publish game channel, then change it zo your DVR misses event. They don't cover lots of Pacer gamds in HD

Jai Shankar Pandey

October 12th, 2017

Good service and having best network. Keep it up

Jessica Penquite

October 4th, 2017 Trenton, MI

I have been with dish tv for quite sometime. I just don't understand why I have to fight just to get it to the same price I have been paying and even then I pay more. I think if you are a loyal customer you should pay a little less or even the same when you sign a contract. I was told 88 with tax. Okay so i signed the 2 year agreement. Then he tells me 88.70. This is exactly what happened this last year. I started paying 80. Then it went to 95. There excuse was we were being charged more for local channels. I only stay with dish because I do not want Comcast and direct tv is just as bad as dish. It's not worth the headache I was talking back and forth from 10am until 5pm. That's ridiculous.

Rebekah

September 30th, 2017

Be honest!!! They say there's no contract! However, they are liar's. I tried to cancel service and all of a sudden there's a big $400 TERMINATION FEE. ALL REPRESENTATIVE SHOULD BE TRAINED RIGHT! Think before getting service FUTURE BUYERS!!! It's wrong to scam on commercials too! Highly upset! I've worked in customer service for over 3 years! This is not loyal customer service! HIGHLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Richard Zimmerman

September 25th, 2017

Seems like Dish has no idea what their distributors are saying or doing. I find it almost unbelievable that Dish would have such a lack of communication with someone who is selling their service, and representing their company. I called Dish to confirm my installation, and was told that my installation had not been scheduled. I was told that they "see" my work order, but didn't see an installation that had been scheduled. Dish said the work order would need to be cancelled in order for an installation to be scheduled. Let me repeat that. My SERVICE ORDER WOULD NEED TO BE CANCELLED IN ORDER FOR THE INSTALLATION TO BE SCHEDULED. While talking with the Dish rep, I received a call from the INSTALLATION TECHNICIANS. The installers said they were 25 minutes away. I went back to the Dish rep, who said that she had cancelled my SERCICE ORDER, the same service order that she said was not SCHEDULED FOR SERVICE. She said that the INSTALLATION TECHNICIANS could call to have a NEW INSTALLATION ORDER initiated. (Yes, I know, and I agree with what you are thinking) The INSTALLATION TECHNICIANS arrived, and I received a telephone call from the INSTALLATION DEPARTMENT. I was asked about what type of equipment I was supposed to receive. After retrieving my sales order that I was given when I originally ordered the service, the INSTALLATION DEPARTMENT asked me how much I was supposed to be paying monthly. While on the phone, the INSTALLATION TECHNICIANS had brought in the equipment I had ordered when I originally signed up for Dish tv. It was, in fact, the Hopper 3. When I originally ordered the service, I was told there would be no charge for the Amazon Alexa, but was eventually charged $50.00 + tax for the piece of equipment (which is what you will pay for one if you purchased it on line, the first broken promise). The INSTALLATION DEPARTMENT told me that i would need to pay $99.00 for the HOPPER 3. After explaining that I had already paid $50.00 for the Amazon Alexa, the INSTALLATION DEPARTMENT told me that i didn't qualify for a free HOPPER 3, and that I would have to pay for it, or settle for a lesser piece of equipment. Being confused about all of this, especially since my original SERVICE ORDER specifically called for a HOPPER 3 with Sling, and the Amazon Alexa, and, especially since the SERVICE TECHNICIANS had the HOPPER 3 sitting in front of my tv, ready to install, I began to feel as though this was the SECOND PROMISE BROKEN; another broken promise before the service was even installed. The INSTALLATION TECHNICIANS stated that they could install the equipment, BUT NOT ACTIVATE IT. Now my senses were really starting to pick up a fishy odor. I declined their generosity. For some reason, I saw this "confusion" escalating out of control. Coupled with the fact that I had been intentionally, let's call it what it is, lied to on the phone about two different matters, my brief encounter with the Dish SERVICE TECHNICIANS came to a conclusion. The lesson that I learned is, television (as well as internet and telephone) service providers, are in the business for one thing; TO GET YOUR MONEY. And in their efforts to accomplish their objective, they will tell you whatever you want to hear. Irregardles of telling lies and breaking promises, they will stop at nothing to hook you, reel you in, and filet you into tiny pieces. Our personal time means nothing to this industry; inconveniencing the customer is the norm. They find no embarrassment in humiliating us. They are indeed a true, American nightmare.

Donna Peterson

September 22nd, 2017 Baltimore, MD

Contacted Dish to adjust programming. The rep was professional and patient as we went through the numerous options. Her explanations were clear and I felt confident re: cost adjustments. I was transferred to another rep who walked me through the process of connecting a new receiver to my internet. She was also patient, professional, and provided very clear instructions. Due to recent difficult experiences with CSR’s at other companies, the quality of the ones I dealt with at Dish exceeded expectations.

rohan khanna

September 20th, 2017

very bad customer service . they pick the call and cut immediately just by saying " hello ,dish tv" they even dont listen the query

Kathleen Norton-Schock

September 14th, 2017

We are long-time (20 year) subscribers to DISH. I had the worst customer experience I have had with any vendor in the early morning hours, this morning. At midnight, I awoke; wanted to turn on Television #2 to watch a program and go back to sleep.I got a screen that said "Press SAT to turn on your TV". Pressing SAT multiple times did nothing. I called your technical service line. I got to a woman with a heavy accent. She had me go through a series of gyrations which only caused my TV 2 to move to static and a black and white screen. She could not understand me when I said that "clearly we have done the wrong thing, and YOU have only made this worse". She did not know what the word "worse" even meant (really????) After my spending 12 minutes CONVINCING her that she needed to get me to someone who would know what they were doing, she finally transferred me to someone who (at least) knew what the word "worse" meant (LOL). But THAT agent also took me through the exact same gyrations (even though I kept repeating that we had done all that before and it didn't work) THEN Wanted me to go down three levels in my home to TV #1 and work with that; I BALKED and stubbornly insisted that the controller for TV #2 could (if she bothered to listen to me) fix this IF she could find the right channel code; That took 13 more minutes, of me insisting, then telling her that we were pretty fed up with DISH at this point and THEN I guided HER to the point where we finally found the right code, making it unnecessary for me to go to TV #1; She never apologized even after I kept pointing out that the only way we found a solution was through MY stubbornness (not her persistence in suggesting the WRONG solution) and This wasted 30 minutes of my time, and made me extremely angry. Really, people? Perhaps better staffing and training is in order here? You charge us an INORDINATE amount of money. I (rightfully) expect better customer service. And, yes, I will be going to my considerable social media following to express this in short Tweets and FB posts. Honestly, we are considering switching if you don't fix your customer service issues. Still angry,

Jonathan

September 7th, 2017

One would think that when signing up for a membership or service you can cancel anytime with only having to pay the amount up until the the next cycle. Well, Dish makes you pay early termination fees for all the months you would have had their service. Not only that, they dont include a warranty for the equipment outside (which for some reason they literally sell to you) in the original price. It has to be added on. What civilian is going to want to keep a satellite dish? What am i gonna do with it? Eat my dinner on it? So, to get it checked out by a tech you either need to pay the $9 fee a month or a $95 fee for the service just to see if the equipment is falty. Im not certain but i have a feeling they'd charge you to replace it or fix it as well. I was with comcast for years and never had anything like this come up, and my mother has had DirectTV for years and no problems like this. In conclusion, the company DISH are thieves! like a lot of other big companies they try to milk you for all you have.

mindy sommers

August 30th, 2017 Rutland, VT

Dish overcharges and really needs to up their game for online services. Their website is truly a disaster, the login process is impossible, and the streaming awful. Poorly designed website made for hairpulling and not viewing. More people watch stuff online and they need to address this.

Leslie

August 29th, 2017

I paused my DISH service and I was looking to see if they would offer me a better deal to come back and they didn't. 10 dollars off the most expensive package and no guarantee there would be no installation fee was the best they would do. The cable company is a bunch of crooks, but at least I'm getting more bang for my buck with them.

Debra

August 9th, 2017

Fantastic offer, courteous customer service, ethical, fast efficient set up

terrell blount

August 3rd, 2017

I never had an issue with Dish. Anytime I called they always met my needs. With Comcast all you're met with is stress and headaches! I wish I could return to Dish. ?

Aric Gullickson

August 2nd, 2017 Dousman, WI

I know you may get this a lot but I literally can not afford the service anymore but they threaten me with a $280 cancellation fee so it's difficult. I can't afford to keep the service nor pay to get rid of it. I know they easily can afford to waive this fee, but will they? Of course not, because it's not money made.

Tom Carey

July 26th, 2017 Mukilteo, WA

This resets too often

Richard Rauhecker

July 21st, 2017 Pittsburgh, PA

WHO SPONSERS THIS PAGE, DISH TV???? LOOK AT IT, OUR SCORE 7.3 BUT THE CONSUMERS SAY 4.4 WHOSE RIGHT HERE, SPONSERS OF THE PAGE OR CONSUMERS?????????????????????? Today there was a storm in Morgantown WV, that's 90 miles from me in Verona PA, but I lost TV service. Called DISH and they confirmed the storm in WV is why I lost service. This is unacceptable to me. This is not the first time!!! EVERYTIME it rains, I lose service. Once it was not raining, just cloudy, I lost service. CAN'T WAIT TO CANCEL MY DISH SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny Hancock

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Dish is expensive and overall hard to work with. However, my main complaint with dish is their remote control. Accidentally our remote zoomed in, after my dog ran over the remote. This took me a month to finally get my TV at the proper zoom display. Direct's remote is a lot less complicated.

Doyal Stewart

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I had Dish a little under ten years ago, it was the only choice we had at the time. We really didn't care for the service. It seemed to go out often. We also didn't like the long contract we had to sign. We have enjoyed other ones a great deal more.

Susan Stewart

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We had a lot of issues when we had Dish, the service would go out frequently. We had free Showtime for a while, which was alright. But, it's expensive just like many other cable and satellite providers. I've just gone with Hulu and Netflix for all my tv needs.

Denise H.

June 8th, 2017 Mona, UT

Dish is expensive and they raise your rates whenever they decide to. Customer service is okay, but not great.

Kari Staheli

May 26th, 2017

I have had DISH when we lived in Vegas. We had a few technical problems that were solved easily with their customer service. I would recommend DISH.