DISH verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Founded in 1980 by Charlie Ergen, Candy Ergen, and Jim DeFranco, DISH has grown from humble beginnings into a Fortune 250 company. It provides satellite TV to roughly 14 million users around the world. In 2014, it increased revenue 1.6 percent surpassing $14.6 billion. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, it employs approximately 19,000 technicians, customer service representatives, and more throughout the United States. DISH is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ exchange with the symbol "DISH."

The Good

• Competitive Pricing
  • DVR and Other Technology
  • Mobile App

Competitive Pricing

DISH offers a variety of packages, each with its own value and unique price. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" definitely holds true with its packages. For example, the "America's Top 120" is on the lower end of the price range but you still get over 190 channels to choose from in that package. Depending on the package, you can enjoy upwards of 290 channels to choose from. Unlike some other Satellite TV providers, DISH offers its services in all 50 states in the United States.

One feature it holds over other satellite TV providers is free DISH Movie Pack for three months. DISH Movie Pack is a premium movie streaming service only available with DISH packages . Like DIRECTV, DISH Network offers HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, and Showtime free for three months with America© Top 120+ package and above.

Finally, DISH offers 24/7 customer service, so feel free to call in at any time of the day. However, despite DISH's promise of customer service being available 24/7, there have been a number of complaints from customers not getting their issues resolved.

DVR and Other Technology

DISH's premier product is Hopper HD DVR. The Hopper has a 2 terabyte hard drive, which is twice that of the Genie, DIRECTV's competing product. With the extra space, the Hopper can store up to 500 hours of HD recordings, more than DIRECTV.

If you ever get tired of commercials, DISH allows you to skip them during primetime programming on major networks. While DIRECTV allows you to view four different shows in four different rooms, DISH increases that standard by allowing six different shows in six different rooms.

If you ever lose your remote, you can use DISH's remote locator to find it. And once you find the remote, you can use it to choose from a selection of 15,000 On Demand movies, which is more than twice that of DIRECTV.

Mobile App

DISH also offers its customers a user-friendly app to keep track of their favorite programs while on the go. Currently, they have been given 4.1 out of 5 stars on the Android Apps site for Google Play. There have been between 5,000 and 10,000 installs. New features of the app include the following:

• Home screen that allows user to quickly find content
  • All content that is available on your homes tv is available on the app, making it perfect for catching your favorite sports action away from home
  • DVR compatible

Learn more about DISH

The Bad

• Two-Year Contract
  • Service and Equipment Issues

Two-Year Contract

DISH requires its customers to sign a two year agreement when officially becoming a part of the DISH family. This is not unlike many other TV providers. DISH provides a ton of information regarding its packages and related fees. Even though you have to sign a two-year contract, there is a welcome assurance that DISH offers a two-year price-lock, which means your monthly rate will not increase over the duration of the contract.

Service and Equipment Issues

Another common user complaint involves problems with equipment and reception services. Having a TV provider that doesn't provide consistently good service is not worth the time or the money. Many customers have felt their service with DISH was poor in this regard, making their experience unsatisfactory. While many are quick to blame DISH as a company, a number of the issues complained about are simply results from the satellite industry as a whole and are not DISH specific. Unfortunately, simple things like weather can seriously impact the equipment and service provided.

The Bottom Line

DISH provides fantastic service for a great price. Coupled with cutting edge technology for your home, DISH is a great choice as a satellite television provider. DISH offers a great HD DVR in the Hopper, which boasts twice the memory and smaller dimensions than its closest competitor. DISH always has great promotions to help make your choice easier.

View Available Packages

Call our recommended rep over at DISH below.

144 DISH Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 14th, 2017

We are long-time (20 year) subscribers to DISH. I had the worst customer experience I have had with any vendor in the early morning hours, this morning. At midnight, I awoke; wanted to turn on Television #2 to watch a program and go back to sleep.I got a screen that said "Press SAT to turn on your TV". Pressing SAT multiple times did nothing. I called your technical service line. I got to a woman with a heavy accent. She had me go through a series of gyrations which only caused my TV 2 to move to static and a black and white screen. She could not understand me when I said that "clearly we have done the wrong thing, and YOU have only made this worse". She did not know what the word "worse" even meant (really????) After my spending 12 minutes CONVINCING her that she needed to get me to someone who would know what they were doing, she finally transferred me to someone who (at least) knew what the word "worse" meant (LOL). But THAT agent also took me through the exact same gyrations (even though I kept repeating that we had done all that before and it didn't work) THEN Wanted me to go down three levels in my home to TV #1 and work with that; I BALKED and stubbornly insisted that the controller for TV #2 could (if she bothered to listen to me) fix this IF she could find the right channel code; That took 13 more minutes, of me insisting, then telling her that we were pretty fed up with DISH at this point and THEN I guided HER to the point where we finally found the right code, making it unnecessary for me to go to TV #1; She never apologized even after I kept pointing out that the only way we found a solution was through MY stubbornness (not her persistence in suggesting the WRONG solution) and This wasted 30 minutes of my time, and made me extremely angry. Really, people? Perhaps better staffing and training is in order here? You charge us an INORDINATE amount of money. I (rightfully) expect better customer service. And, yes, I will be going to my considerable social media following to express this in short Tweets and FB posts. Honestly, we are considering switching if you don't fix your customer service issues. Still angry,

August 30th, 2017 Rutland, VT

Dish overcharges and really needs to up their game for online services. Their website is truly a disaster, the login process is impossible, and the streaming awful. Poorly designed website made for hairpulling and not viewing. More people watch stuff online and they need to address this.

August 29th, 2017

I paused my DISH service and I was looking to see if they would offer me a better deal to come back and they didn't. 10 dollars off the most expensive package and no guarantee there would be no installation fee was the best they would do. The cable company is a bunch of crooks, but at least I'm getting more bang for my buck with them.

August 9th, 2017

Fantastic offer, courteous customer service, ethical, fast efficient set up

August 3rd, 2017

I never had an issue with Dish. Anytime I called they always met my needs. With Comcast all you're met with is stress and headaches! I wish I could return to Dish. ?

0 1

August 2nd, 2017 Dousman, WI

I know you may get this a lot but I literally can not afford the service anymore but they threaten me with a $280 cancellation fee so it's difficult. I can't afford to keep the service nor pay to get rid of it. I know they easily can afford to waive this fee, but will they? Of course not, because it's not money made.

2 1

July 26th, 2017 Mukilteo, WA

This resets too often

July 21st, 2017 Pittsburgh, PA

WHO SPONSERS THIS PAGE, DISH TV???? LOOK AT IT, OUR SCORE 7.3 BUT THE CONSUMERS SAY 4.4 WHOSE RIGHT HERE, SPONSERS OF THE PAGE OR CONSUMERS?????????????????????? Today there was a storm in Morgantown WV, that's 90 miles from me in Verona PA, but I lost TV service. Called DISH and they confirmed the storm in WV is why I lost service. This is unacceptable to me. This is not the first time!!! EVERYTIME it rains, I lose service. Once it was not raining, just cloudy, I lost service. CAN'T WAIT TO CANCEL MY DISH SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 0

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Dish is expensive and overall hard to work with. However, my main complaint with dish is their remote control. Accidentally our remote zoomed in, after my dog ran over the remote. This took me a month to finally get my TV at the proper zoom display. Direct's remote is a lot less complicated.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I had Dish a little under ten years ago, it was the only choice we had at the time. We really didn't care for the service. It seemed to go out often. We also didn't like the long contract we had to sign. We have enjoyed other ones a great deal more.

2 1

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We had a lot of issues when we had Dish, the service would go out frequently. We had free Showtime for a while, which was alright. But, it's expensive just like many other cable and satellite providers. I've just gone with Hulu and Netflix for all my tv needs.

June 8th, 2017 Mona, UT

Dish is expensive and they raise your rates whenever they decide to. Customer service is okay, but not great.

2 0

May 26th, 2017

I have had DISH when we lived in Vegas. We had a few technical problems that were solved easily with their customer service. I would recommend DISH.

1 1

April 20th, 2017 Ocala, FL

The impasse between Dish/Hearst is inexcusable. We're a month and a half in with no solution in sight and all Dish is offering is either an antenna or a one-time $30 credit despite the fact that we have no idea how long the standoff will last. Meanwhile Dish insists on broadcasting obnoxious propaganda videos trashing Hearst. I think they're more interested in winning than in serving their customers.

April 11th, 2017

Dish was great with installation and easy use of product but when we asked for sports package they never mentioned they don't have SNY, we tried every way possible to get Mets games and they don't have rights. Went to cancel after 3 days of service and was told we were charged $480! After many phone calls and speaking to rude representatives, I went to social media and finally they compromised with a $99 cancellation fee. Very very frustrating 7days of dealing with them.

April 11th, 2017 Newark, OH

We switched to Dish because Directv was just getting too expensive . We are huge, HUGE baseball fans, especially our Phillies. Dish didn't offer programming out of Philadelphia.", so we signed up for the MLB Extra Innings package. We live 178 miles NW of Philadelphia. They have had every game so far blacked out. However we had this same service ( MLB Extra Innings ) with Directv, and I got to watch all 162 games last year and the year before. It makes me think one of these programmers doesn't know the MLB blackout rules. I hate that we signed up with Dish or that we are paying for this service and can't watch our Phillies. But not just that, they also have blacked out every Yankees and Mets games, but not Pirates. And not one customer service rep can explain to me why. All I get is referenced to the MLB blackout rules to read for myself.

April 11th, 2017 North Bridgton, ME

Heading into 6th week of no ABC station. Dish is not listening to its customers who wanted this back weeks ago. Their excuses of Hearst wanting to overcharge in new contract has become old and is now being shown as a lie. They want an unreasonable discounted rate from Hearst. They don't care that MILLIONS of their customers across the markets have no ABC/CBS/NBC &/or FOX STATIONS. Do your homework before picking Dish as your tv provider. They are responsible for 60% of blackout stations that they carry. The team responsible for negotiating contracts should have been terminated weeks ago. If I didn't have a $350 earlier termination fee, I would have termination their service 5 weeks ago. I hope their informing their new customers that there is a Major Network missing from their lineup. Their twitter feed is full of customers complaining about this situation yet they still have not resolved this issue to get the stations back. If your contemplating DISH as your tv provider, go to another provider. Dish does not provide their customers with what THEIR PAYING FOR!

April 9th, 2017 Southington, CT

Dish has always been flexible in allowing existing customers to change to new offers. I actually asked them once joking around if they could send me a stuffed animal and the followijg day i had a joey kangaroo in the mail-- great company--the relationship with frontier is a minus since billing with that company is an extreme nightmare

April 6th, 2017 Redding, CA

Excellent service. Quick answers. Great price.

1 2

April 6th, 2017 West Des Moines, IA

They have great customer service. Always answer you and always their to help

0 2