Best Company Guarantee Orkin Logo

Orkin

6.6

LAST UPDATED: June 7th, 2022

Orkin was founded in 1901 by teenager Otto Orkin. Over the last century, Orkin has grown and expanded to be an industry-leading pest control service. Orkin specializes in protection against common pests including termites, rodents, and insects. Orkin collaborates with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and major universities to help prevent and control pests, all while caring for the earth's environment.

Orkin reviews indicate that Orkin is a reliable pest control company, but a common complaint is that the Orkin service is pricier when compared to others in the industry. However, many customers were happy with the exterminator services the company provided and stated that the service technicians were helpful and professional. The overall consensus was that homeowners felt the price was well worth the end result.

Whether looking for residential pest control services or commercial pest control services, Orkin has a solution for you.

The Good

• Orkin Pest Control
  • Orkin Termite Control
  • The A.I.M Approach
  • Free Re-Treatments
  • Money Back Guarantee
  • Technician Training and Certification
  • Home Services

Orkin Pest Control

Orkin works hard to ensure that pests are unable to take over your home or office. Each Orkin employee is trained to handle a number of different common pests and critters:

• Ants
  • Rodents
  • Silverfish
  • Mosquitos
  • Bed bugs*

*Bed bug control services are not available in all locations.

Orkin's Commercial Pest Control services help businesses with any pest problem. Orkin knows that even one pest can have a negative financial impact on a business and a larger pest infestation could be damaging to a companies reputation. An Orkin Commercial Pest Specialist will work with a business to target and eliminate pests and rodents to the customer's satisfaction.

During the winter months, Orkin focuses on indoor pest control with an emphasis on rodents, pantry pests, and other common household pests.
Though the services listed above are fairly extensive, Orkin also provides pest control services for a number of other less-known pests including the following unwanted pests:

Flies, stinging pests, amphipods, beetles, box elder bugs, caddisflies, centipedes, chich bugs, cicadas, crickets, dobson flies, dragonflies, firebrats, flea and tick control, horntails, Jerusalem crickets, kissing bugs, kudzu bugs, lace bugs, leaf footed bugs, leaf miners, lice, locusts, mayflies, mealworms, mealybugs, mites, moths, scorpion flies, snails and slugs, sowbugs, spiders, springtails, stink bugs, thrips, walking stick bugs, weevils, and whiteflies.

Orkin Termite Control

According to Orkin's website, homeowners spend an average of $3,000 when taking care of termite damage, and not all pest control companies offer termite services. To ensure that you receive quality services and excellent results, Orkin offers a number of termite control solutions to customers:

• Termidor liquid termite treatments — This liquid solution is safe to use both indoors and outdoors and is commonly used in building foundations to provide a protective barrier around your home. Not only does it provide immediate protection, but it helps avoid future infestations.
  • Dry foam and Orkinfoam — Foam solutions are used to treat voids in interior and exterior walls. These may include areas around heating ducts and water pipes as well as spaces under slabs of concrete. Foam solutions have a very low moisture content to help prevent it from soaking through drywall and causing further damage.
  • Sentricon bait and monitoring — A termite treatment like Sentricon includes termite baits that can be placed in areas where termites may congregate. These termite baits disrupt the termite molting process, therefore stunting their growth and avoiding an infestation.

If you are worried that you may have termites in or around your home, it is important that you have a professional conduct a termite inspection as quickly as possible to avoid further damage. Treatment for termites is usually in demand between March-May and August-September, but Orkin has teams equipped and ready to provide service on a year-round basis if needed.

The A.I.M Approach

The company's integrated A.I.M. (Assess, Implement, and Monitor) pest protection process works to assess, implement, and monitor a home or business' pest population.

In the Assess phase, a local Orkin pest professional conducts a comprehensive inspection of the property to identify what makes the property unique, what sanitation issues or structural conditions could attract pests, and how pests might get in or why they may want to. Building type, geography, climate, soil properties, and any conditions conducive to pest activity are considered.

In the Implement phase, Orkin works with the customer to develop a custom Precision Protection™ program that suits the customer's specific needs. If a product is needed, an Orkin specialist will select the most effective treatment with the least impact on the environment.

In the Monitor phase, an Orkin professional will monitor whether the treatments implemented were the best fit for the customer's situation through regular inspections and ongoing customer service. Orkin checks for signs of pest activity like eggs, structural damage, or any new conditions that may have surfaced since the last visit. All services performed, pest activity and other recommendations are documented.

Free Re-Treatments

Customer satisfaction is Orkin's goal. If a customer isn't completely satisfied, the company will aim to make it right. If pests return between treatments, an Orkin specialist will return for a re-treatment at no extra charge. If Orkin is unable to solve the customer's pest problems, it will refund the last service payment as long as they're a current customer.

See how Orkin's re-treatment guarantee matches up with Terminix.

Money Back Guarantee

If you aren't satisfied with Orkin's service or you see pests and critters return after treatment, Orkin provides a 30-day money back guarantee. Free re-treatments are provided, but the company will also provide a full refund of a service payment if your expectations aren't met.

Technician Training and Certification

Orkin's training facility is a state-of-the-art facility containing several stimulated customer environments. Each Orkin technician is trained using an award-winning certification program that includes class work from Purdue University, treatment techniques, and various specialty pest issues and industry-specific employee training. This ensures that technicians are not only certified, but are pest control experts.

Home Services

A number of companies in the pest control industry do not offer any kind of home services. Along with providing pest control, Orkin offers a few home solutions. With Orkin, the homeowner can help protect his or her home from heating and cooling losses with the company's OrkinTherm® or Orkin ComfortZone®. The OrkinTherm® is an environmentally friendly wall and attic insulation service and the Orkin ComfortZone® is an innovative and cost-efficient radiant heat barrier.

All home insulation services come with a free inspection of the home's existing insulation and pest control needs. If an updated is needed, an Orkin technician will create a custom plan and discuss which of the following options are best for you:

• Install OrkinTherm by blowing the product on top of the existing insulation in your attic or walls.
  • Roll formaldehyde-free batting insulation in your attic or crawl space.
  • Install Orkin ComfortZone in your attic space or garage.

Orkin's insulation products are made of 85 percent recycled materials and are the only pest management products to earn an Energy Star label from the Environment Protection Agency.

Additionally, homeowners can hire an Orkin Man to install a vapor barrier to treat for excess moisture in their home which if left untreated can lead to mold, structural damage, or pest control problems like bedbug or termite infestation.

Florida residents have the option to receive year-round lawn care. The company will take care of lawn pests, weeds, and any diseases that will hurt the yard.

The Bad

Not Available in All States

Orkin has an impressive service area that includes 83 countries and 5 of the 7 continents. However, the company currently does not operate in Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.

To see how Orkin's national coverage compares to Terminix, visit our compare page.

The Bottom Line

With over 100 years of experience in the pest control business, professional pest technicians, a variety of services, and continuing research and development, Orkin is a sound choice for an exterminating company.

In addition to an exhaustive inspection process, the company offers treatments for a variety of insects and rodent trap devices, utilizes the A.I.M. process to assess, implement, and monitor unique pest control services, has additional home solutions, and offers a money back guarantee with free re-treatments. Orkin's service technicians are pest and termite experts and strive to offer the best pest solutions - whether they're spraying for mosquitoes, getting rid of ants, or treating a termite problem.

We recommend reading Orkin reviews before making a final pest control decision.

Call our recommended rep over at Orkin below.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

3.5

Mary Tygart Kokomo, IN

ORKIN Professionals are always timely and courteous. They always respond to questions appropriately and are always helpful. The young lady that comes to my home is so friendly with my dog- I love it! I have a 170pound Mastiff “pup” & not everyone would feel comfortable with him, but she is wonderful! My representative is Natasha R and I can’t recommend her any more highly. She is like having a friend come to visit who protects my home 5⭐️ They got rid of mice, ants & spiders for me. I’m on a plan and I don’t have anything to worry about. They send me emails about upcoming appointments and texts when they are on the way- super responsive and I couldn’t ask for anything more.

Martha jane Quarles

Orkin is a great company to do business with Allen came to our house and went above and beyond his job to help us. He checked corners inside and under the sink and floors as well as outside the house to get rid of bugs and wasps. Allen is friendly and professional and does an excellent job because he cares about his Customers and enjoys taking care of people. Thanks Allen and Orkin for a job well done.

Kirk Cockrell Saranac Lake, NY

Orkin has been my pest control service for eight years now. Living in a building that is 100 years old, things could get interesting with critters. Orkin has regularly serviced my flat and I haven't had one problem. They have also been very careful about spraying because of my little dog, again no problems. Professional, efficient and dependable, my experience with Orkin could not be better. Very happy.

David Bornancin Westlake, OH

Hello and hope all are doing well. In the past I have had several times when I had Ant's, Bees and other bugs found at places within my Homes and called on Orkin to review, assess and provide their service to address the problem. I hate any kind of bugs or infested areas in my homes. Orkin has always found solid solutions and at a reasonable price to remove such items from my properties! Highly Recommend.

Teresa Reid Newton, NC

The people that come out are friendly and helpful, they know what they are doing, where to spray, leave bait. They listen to you if you are having problems with pests and know where to bait for the problem area.

Judy Fred Wakefield, RI

Mice! Cute, yet discusting. Tried to eliminate them ourselves, but it was always a temporary fix. They kept coming back. When they got in the pantry, it was the last straw! The Orkin Man came on time, took into consideration we have a dog and a (slow) cat. They safely got rid of the vermin. Thank you Orkin Man!

Brand Richardson Haun Houston, TX

We rented a house that had bed bugs. It was awful until orkin quoted us a reasonable monthly price to come rid us of these pests. They only had to come back one time after the initial treating of the house and boy was I glad to see the bugs gone.

Danielle Rickle Saint Clair Shores, MI

I was beside myself to find out mice had been on my counter , mike s came out and found the entire issue in literally a few mins. He ended up finding a nightmare in my attic but went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable enough to finally get a nights rest in my home. He also spent time educating me on rodent behavior patterns . I learned a lot and I’m thankful we have a plan to evict these guys

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

Several years ago my family had moved into our new home on an acre of beautiful lawn, trees are greenery. During that first summer my kids and I were constantly being severely bitten by insects. We weren't sure what the insect source were, so I assumed that we had an ant infestation. We called Orkin and the service representative was absolutely fantastic. She surveyed our property and found the source...We we're infested with "fleas"! The Orkin service representative exterminated our "flea" infestation, but returned a week later to follow up, add more treatment and as an extra bonus treated the lawn for "fire ants". My family and I had dealt with this flea infestation for several weeks of "bites" and inconvenience before I finally called Orkin. I've lived in my home now for several years after, and hasn't experienced any insect bites while enjoying our beautiful outdoors.

Bob Nakon South Lyon, MI

When we moved to the country we couldn't wait to begin nature watching. We didn't have to wait long. Mice, ants, and just about any pest you could name was sharing our space! I have tried every pest control company out there, small local and big national companies. Both work hard, but the difference? Training and methods. I called Orkin when we simply couldn't keep up with the mice and ants. Orkin sent a professional to my home and it was amazing. The people know just what to do to keep the pests out and we are finally able to stop worrying about it. Don't waste time with any company that won't take on the tough jobs. Call Orkin, you won't be sorry.

Madhurima Thevanathan Walpole, MA

We used Orkin in November 2021 for attic and exterior exclusion. while the exterior exclusion was done well, the attic exclusion was not. Specifically, * Cardboard boxes were placed on the top of light fixtures to prevent bugs from getting into the ceiling lights in the second floor * the technician Ray damaged an interior wall in our bathroom and our front door We sent them pictures of said damage immediately after the technician left and were told a contractor would get in touch with us to get this back to normal and no one called. I have been patient for over 6 months now. I have email communication records of this. I have been on the phone with them 4 specific times for 20 minutes and have been assured that Chris, the manager, will call me back to never hear from them again. We signed a contract with an individual named Jonathan C and have paid the amount in full. I do not recommend this company for their terrible customer service

Jesse Prince OK

I used Orkin for about 2 years and never had any complaints. During the inspection they explained exactly what they planned to do. Would use them again for sure.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

Orkin is one of the cleanest pest control companies I have ever used. There was no oder or mess when they were finished. I haven't seen a bug since the first time they sprayed.

DM DM Warrington, PA

We used Orkin, but cost have risen. I use to do this myself, so the convenience of them doing it has been extremely rewarding when it comes to freeing up time. They are always professional, I just wish they were cheaper. The product does work!

Arynn Fitzgerald Winchester, TN

They are affordable reliable and knowledgeable. They handled the bug home invasion from inside out and provided preventative treatment and follow up until the issue was uder control. Definitely worth my Hard earned money. Highly recomend.

J. Garrett Lansing, MI

My family and I were living near a small factory and we started having pretty cold weather. With that weather came rats! Not mice but rats! I had small children and it scared me to death! Orkin came in and really did their job! I'm not sure what all they did but, within 3-4 days there was no sign that anything had been there but my family! I am eternally grateful!

Kim Cook Nashville, MI

The Orkin technician was very friendly and gave good information. He listened to my needs and concerns, as I have dogs who can go inside and out at will. I also had a mouse problem and he gave me ways of dealing with that too. In the end, I was not able to go through fully with Orkin because of costs and being on a fixed income at the time. However, the information received was excellent and helped my solve most of my problems. He did not have to share anything with, especially knowing I may not have been able to pay for the services.

Steven Shimmin

I used Orkin, when we purchased a repo house and had some bug issues... They are one of the leaders in the industry so that is why I chose them after having several quotes from different companies. We went through a long process with them, but they kept coming back to spray and attack the bugs until they were all gone and we were able to move into home. They still call and check in with follow ups and really cared about our situation. It has been six months now, and we have not seen any bugs. Good riddance, thank you Orkin

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

Very thorough with the inspections, informative on insects of any kind and the harm they cause either by health or damages to your home so safety is a priority with this company, they leave no details out knowing the importance of the roles different insects play. You will be highly knowledgeable and your appreciation of hiring this company will bring wonderful, quality, satisfaction guarantee service.

Sandra Mattias Coventry, RI

Im not sure how this company is on other states but in RI the are TERRIBLE! I have tried to cancel my services , ive phoned,email and left messages….nothing, they showed up Sprayed and billed my credit card . To top it off after they billed my card they sent me a bill!!

CLIFFORD JORDAN Tampa, FL

hope you can inform viewers about this before they hire Orkin. I hired Orkin Pest Control to tent my home for termites at a charge of 2,890 dollars. At first I thought that this was a pretty high price. The Orkin Salesman told me that none of their competition could do what they do. As soon as he left I called a company named Absolute Pest control and left my number for a call back quote. While waiting for a call back from Absolute, my wife told me not to go with a generic or no name company. I decided to tell the Absolute people never - mind, I would go with Orkin. After I signed the contract with Orkin, they (Orkin) sub-contracted the job to Absolute, the same company that I turned down for the job. The point I'm trying to make is Orkin does not tell customers that they themselves do no do the fumigation, instead they jack up the price and then hire generic companies to do the job. I'm not looking to be on the news but I felt ripped off after I found out that the company I turned down got the job without my knowledge.. I can provide all relevant information so you can inform your viewers about this.

James MOLINA MN

Positive attitude not just coming into spray and leave . Willing to give other preventive ideas to control pest . They are always able to give you information on what chemical is being used . Solving a pest problem and putting you at ease that they are getting the job done

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

I liked best that they came out within a day or two of contacting them and they were able to spray all around my house and it ended up killing off all of the ear wigs, spiders, and insects that always seemed to get into the house. The price was a little higher than I expected so I tried another company the following year.

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I've used Orkin for 6yrs now and am very pleased with the service I receive. They're punctual, polite, through, and effective. I don't have problems with the spiders in my yard and shed like my neighbors. I'll stay right where I'm at, and you can't beat the prices.

Deb Jackson Valrico, FL

I have used Orkin for many years and in several states. Orkin has always been dependable , through, and reasonable. The agents are always polite and timely. They also have great customer service if there is an issue with any of their services. They have always been a reputable company to deal with.

Heath Clarkson

Orkin came to our home and had a promotional thing where everything was supposed to be evaluated and they would check our concerns and spray as needed. We have several pets and that was foremost in our minds, their well-being and safety. Orkin did pretty well with that and they were personal. The reason I only gave them 3 stars is because I have a barn in the backyard that I had mentioned may have termites.. and any termite that close to my home is a concern! Well for some reason they neglected to spray there and now I’m replacing half the wood out there and having someone else out to spray for the termites.

L Hill Chicago, IL

We were very pleased with our visit from the Orkin pest control technician. He solved a difficult issue on our property involving pests. He was efficient conscientious and respectful. All of questions were answered and concerns addressed. Would use this service again.

Bob Trammell Bakersfield, CA

We used Orkin for several years. The guy was really nice and did an excellent job. We had an infestation of little flies in our pantry and he put some stuff in that killed them immediately. It never smelled and was safe for the food. Great job, Orkin!

Pat Clements Redwood City, CA

The service technicians are always on time and listen to everything that you need to have done. The staff that make the appointments do so with speed and accuracy. If I have any problems before my appointment a tech will come out and make sure that it is taken care of.

Joe Leahy Marshfield, MA

We had a bad rodent infestation in a new area the school I work for was moving into. Orkin evaluated the problem and implemented a trapping program and trained staff on preventive measures. We are now rodent free in that area thanks to Orkin

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

We had a termite problem at my grandmas house that needed immediate attention. We called Orkin and they came right out gave us several options and prices to help us make the best decision for us. Great service and quick response. I would highly recommend them for your pest needs.

Abi Deen Dallas, TX

Last year I had an annoying silver fish pest issue and I didn’t know what to do. I tried different over the counter pest sprays and nothing seemed to work. So a friend of mines recommended Orkin and I’m so happy she did, because I no longer have the annoying silver fish pest issue and the price and service was awesome! Thank you Orkin!

Christina Sutu-Wallar Concord, CA

I used Orkin for years and my mom still does - the service people are very meticulous and professional. They have a great program where they will come out in between services if you’re not happy or see bugs at no additional cost.

Brittany Norfolk, VA

I was skeptical of using the company at first because I thought what people were saying was too good to be true but boy was I wrong this company is excellent always on time great pricing plans and always willing to work with you

James Washington, DC

Ineffective — rat problem. Spent $4,000 to sanitize my attic. Rep said that should drive the rat away. Rat came back and kept chewing through walls & possessions. Rep stopped responding to emails. Manager kindly came as emergency measure - I appreciated that. Yet kept insisting a hole in closet wall isn't a rat hole despite its disrupting all the traps there. Said he'd come the next day to fill the hole nonetheless. Never showed. Rat is still chewing and getting more aggressive by the day. Am contacting a competitor.

John Ford Boardman, OR

I scheduled an inspection via the website. I spoke to a customer service rep on the phone to confirm the paperwork I would need. The tech called me and confirmed both the appointment and the location. On the day of the inspection, the tech no called, no showed. There was no outreach on the part of the home office, either to notify me or reschedule, and the phone call and voicemail I left with the tech went unanswered and unreturned.

Lily Betria Scottdale, PA

Giving two stars because the workers were nice. Giving such a low rating because they told us they’re the best in the world and it’ll fix our problem it didn’t. I pay monthly and sometimes they don’t even come. I had a fly and ladybug infestation in my room upstairs and they guaranteed it’d stop it. Nope dead flies everyday as well as ladybugs and now I have a stinkbug infestation. And they won’t refund me.

stacy wachtel Mankato, MN

We had Orkin in 2 locations for about 5 years or so. First they couldnt get our pest issue under control and there was like 4 or 5 different techs. It was annoying. Then when we moved they helped us out with another type of pests. Then they started taking money out of my then fiances card with out permission. We did have a bill that needed to be paid but they started taking the money wothout our consent. I talked with thwm.about it and it happened again. Well later on when my father who lived in a different home with a different address needed help, they refused to help a man with bed bugs who was a brittle diabetic that was a double amputee because my name was similar. They told me why and I said I was only giving them one more chance and since they have refused service to him because of our past argument was bull! He needed help and it was a different address. Firat you take mo st without consent and then you refuse another individual. Shame on you!

Brandon Chicago, IL

I have used Orkin before in hotels that I've managed for regular preventative pest control services. Setting up the account and contract was fairly easy and I was nothing but impressed with our guy that would do the monthly servicing.

melrose1989 Marion, IL

We use Orkin at my job which is in food service. We have only had their service for about 4 months now because we got new ownership and thats who they chose to use. I like them. They seem to do the job but I do not particularly like the lack of communication they provide while they visit. I like to know exactly where the problem areas are but they just come, spray and switch out traps and then leave.

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

Scheduled online and they showed up when they said they would. I needed a termite letter for a house sale which they provided as well. Easy to work with and I would use again.

L Turner Avon, IN

I had a horrible ant problem at my home and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I tried several home remedies and none worked for long. I called Orkin and the issue was resolved in what seemed like days.

Kathy Kerber Olympia, WA

Orkin had a great reputation, but we had a big problem. We found out we had mice, though we had regular service weekly. We hired a new company and found out the technician had not been putting fresh bait under the house, and since we lived close to the woods, that was problematic. This company did poison the mice, which had become so populated we then had to hire a company to come out and remove the huge nest of stinking dead mice under our children's playroom. This was something I will never forget. I hope the company has improved their reliability, but pest control and reliability go hand in hand. We never got so much as an apology from them, by the way after spending hundreds of dollars to deal with an infestation. We had a toddler and an infant with respiratory issues, and there was poo all through the house. This was a health hazard and I actually had to leave the house with the children for several days. I would say.....don't take the chance with Orkin.

Luke Swierczynski San Jose, CA

I use origin products every single year to create a barrier at all windows and doors. Can say with 100% certainty it works by significantly decreasing the number of bugs that cross those thresholds.

Patti Crawford Appleton, WI

I worked with Orkin in Oklahoma. We had problems with roaches scorpions and ants. Orkin came out once a month and did a wonderful job controlling our bugs. I felt a lot better sleeping

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

Orkin is the name I associate most with bug defense. I love their easy to use website, they have good customer support, and they have a very professional appearance. They always did great work on our house even when we had a major ant problem. The only criticism I have is the people always are in a hurry to their next stop.

Robert Ashbee

Has a termite problem in my home, after a few treatments the pesky critters were gone for good. Would recommend Orkin for a variety of pest control for any house or apartment.

Rebecca D Sterling Heights, MI

Orkin is a nationally known company. I used them under this assumption. I felt that they used way too many chemicals indoors. Especially around children. None of the tiny pests in the basement really ever went away. I would give it 4 stars for effort but I ended up trying a different company.

Laura Wise New Castle, IN

We needed to regularly treat our home for pests when we lived in the South . Orkin was always my first call, they were easy to schedule and very knowledgeable. We also thought they were affordable.

Freda Oppenheim Riverside, CA

Orkin pest control has been great! I am on a quarterly plan and I never have a problem with bugs. If or when I do, I can call them and they come out to take care of it. No extra charges.