LawDepot

verified

LawDepot

verified
Get unlimited access to LawDepot's collection of legal documents with the monthly or annual subscription.

LawDepot has served more than two million people, has helped individuals create over four million online legal forms and legal documents, and has saved its consumers over $1 billion in legal fees. Additionally, the company has an extensive library of business and personal documents that can be customized, downloaded, and printed in various legal services and practices.

The do-it-yourself legal forms process comes at a fraction of the cost of a traditional lawyer. LawDepot was founded in 2001 by Ken Sawyer and serves the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia.

Check Out LawDepot Reviews from Real Customers

The Good

• Services
  • Easy Online Legal Document Creation
  • Variety of Packages
  • Client Support
  • Education Resources
  • Money-Back Guarantee

Services

LawDepot offers online legal documents for business, personal, financial, estate planning, and real estate needs. This includes living wills, health care directives, lease agreements, eviction notices, promissory notes, confidentiality agreements, corporation operating agreements, prenuptial agreement forms, separation agreement, and more. LawDepot provides its users with step-by-step instructions when using its service to ensure accuracy.

Easy Online Legal Document Creation

A team of lawyers at LawDepot has developed an extensive library of online legal forms. To get started, you will first be asked what state you are in and then a series of questions where you will either answer the questions by filling in the blanks, clicking a bubble, or by checking a box. It takes your answers and puts them into the appropriate portions of the document where you can then open, save, print, share, or edit the document. This do-it-yourself legal forms process makes creating legal documents an easy task.

Variety of Packages

LawDepot offers several different pricing options including yearly or monthly subscriptions, a pay per document option, and a seven-day free trial. An account is free to create.

• The yearly pre-paid subscription costs $7.99 per month and includes unlimited document creation and printing.
  • The monthly subscription costs $33 per month and also includes unlimited document creation and printing. It can be canceled at any time.
  • The a la carte option can cost $10-$49 depending on the document type and amount of time you have access to the document.

Client Support

If you have questions or need assistance, you can contact LawDepot through email, the live online chat feature, the help center, or the 855-number. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8 am to 7 pm ET. The online help center offers answers to many frequently asked questions. These contact options are featured in the header of the site under the "Help" tab.

Education Resources

Not everyone has the same understanding as a lawyer or attorney. If you are looking for more information about legal topics in general, LawDepot has a great blog that covers topics such as real estate, business, personal, family, and finance. LawDepot has taken the time to explain each document and the importance of it as well as who should be using these specific kinds of documents. If looking at FAQs is your preferred method for finding information then LawDepot will work for you. They offer detailed FAQ sections that will most likely answer all of your questions.

Money-Back Guarantee

LawDepot also offers a satisfaction guarantee. If a customer isn't satisfied with their document then they will be refunded within 50 days. In addition, LawDepot offers $10,000 to any customers that suffer damages from mistakes due to company errors on documents.

The Bad

• Monthly Price
  • Lack of Legal Information
  • Questions Regarding Accuracy

Monthly Price

If you prepay for a whole year of LawDepot's services it will end up costing you only $7.99 per month, one of the lowest prices in the industry. If you want to do the free trial and let the plan roll over then you will end up paying $33.00 per month. Some competitors offer lower prices for month-to-month or six-month subscriptions.

Lack of Legal Information

LawDepot features a Law Library that includes FAQs and articles pertaining to some common legal processes, however, the information is brief and not detailed. It may not provide all the information you need if you have complicated questions or extensive legal needs. Furthermore, the company does not offer any legal advice or support.

Questions Regarding Accuracy

As with many of the other online legal services, LawDepot does not mention whether their documents are fully reviewed by lawyers for up-to-date accuracy, nor does it explain how attorneys in their network are screened and approved. This means that it may be difficult to ensure that the documents you receive from LawDepot are accurate and high quality. However, LawDepot offers a $10,000 legal guarantee that will cover any damages received because of a mistake a document the customer obtained from LawDepot.

The Bottom Line

LawDepot is not a law firm. If you are comfortable reviewing and filing your own documents without the close guidance of a lawyer, LawDepot is an easy-to-use platform for obtaining and customizing those documents. If you have ongoing legal needs or expect to need several different documents, the unlimited access you gain by signing up for the monthly or annual packages will likely save you money. However, if you'd like to guarantee personal access to a quality attorney you may prefer to opt into websites that include personal legal advice as part of their service subscription.

3.2

Boyce P. Banks
May 16th, 2019 Raleigh, NC DETAILS

Within about four years , I had the occasions to call customer service to make changes to my will. The initial call went relative well. The lady as cordial and helpful. Two or threeeof subsequent calls did not go well. On one call there was a language barrier. Because of this I delayed calling again until recently. This time I spoke to Tina. Tina was excellent. She was cordial, polite, knowledgeable and professional. I am far from a computer wiz but Tina was extremely helpful and displayed a good sense of humor. Tina is an excellent asset to your organization. Please convey my appreciation to Tina for a job well done.

Corlie Jackson
May 10th, 2019 Galveston, TX

My experience with Monique was wonderful. She was friendly, understanding, competent and efficient. Made waiting for a human being worth the wait and technology not so frustrating. Her service has definitely made me reconsider keeping my subscription after the free trial.

Mary Reed
May 10th, 2019 Boston, MA DETAILS

Fast and excellent tech support. Monique is patient and professional. Thank you again Monique.

Edith S Michael
April 8th, 2019 Asheville, NC

As person helping older sister with rentals it is very nice to have assistance from Professional . We do not need monthly service but if we ever do it will certainly be with you.

Ace
April 3rd, 2019 Hollywood, FL

I give them on star because of their bait and switch marketing. They say you can create a FREE will but after you spend the time to create, you have to pay to actually download it. This is click-bait marketing essentially, is unethical and dirty. I wasted my time with them so now I'll invest a little more to expose the con company LawDepot. If they lie to get your business, do you think their products are worthy? Here's a tip... don't do any business with liars.

Apr 03, 2019

Hello Ace, Thank you for your feedback. I apologize if you feel we have not provided enough information regarding our 7 day trial offer. To clarify, our trial offer is free for a one week period. During that time, you can create, download and print as many documents as you need. You can cancel at any time and there is no obligation. You simply need to cancel the subscription by requesting the cancellation under Your Account, or accessing live chat or phone and we'll cancel it for you within the seven day window. You also receive an email recapping the offer details and the date and time to cancel by appear in the email. We do have you enter your credit card information for uninterrupted access to your documents. There are no charges to the card if the trial offer is cancelled within the seven day trial period. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I appreciate your feedback and we'll continue to work on our web site to improve all areas of service. Cynthia Customer Support

Virginia Ochoa
March 29th, 2019

Very easy to use. Had no trouble completing the document I needed. And Monique was very helpful !

john collington
March 29th, 2019

This was my first time using Law Depot. It was easy to navigate and edit the excellent template. All in all the process took me 2 hours to complete and produce a well written, comprehensive and most importantly - just right - GSA.

Jason Dickson
March 27th, 2019 DETAILS

Suited our needs exactly. Great customer service to boot!

Mar 27, 2019

I am glad we were able to help

Hilda
March 27th, 2019 DETAILS

I came here to warn others and noticed 7 other reviews stating the same thing. There is something sneaky about the way this company signs up customers under the guise of a 'free trial' only to discover we are being billed automatically. I missed it and clearly I'm not the only one. You need to make it clearer when signing up customers for your so called 'free trial' that we are getting charged after 1 week. I see the responses from each complaint and I don't think it's good enough. The document I need was helpful but I have to admit I now feel scammed and will never use this site again or ever recommend it.

Mar 27, 2019

Hello Hilda, I am sorry for the confusion we do state twice through the checkout process that it is a 1 Week Free Trail and will be $33/month after the trial ends. You can cancel anytime with on obligations When we ask for a credit card there is a green box on the side stating if its free why are you asking for a credit card. We once again explain if you do not cancel it will automatically enroll you in a monthly subscription at $33/month. You can cancel anytime with on obligations We then print the date and time to cancel your account on the bottom of your receipt. We also immediately send out an email recapping the offer details and in bold print letting you know the date and time cancel. We also include the link to click on to cancel and customer services number if there is any issues. Regards, Cynthia Customer Support Manager

Ernest Hall
March 5th, 2019 Conyers, GA DETAILS

I printed one document and 6 months later i see this monthly subscription cost of $33. They stated they send you notice (didnt see one). $200 for 1 document. Definitely stay away from the free trial....Im sure I cancelled right after I got the document I needed.

Mar 05, 2019

Hello Ernest, I see that you signed up for the Trial Subscription we stated that this was a 1 Week Free Trial twice through the check out process. We informed you of the date and time to cancel your account on the bottom of your receipt. We also sent you a confirmation email on Oct 9/18 when you started your account this stated in bold print the time and date to cancel by as well as the cancellation instructions. We followed this up on Oct 16/18 with a reminder that you were now paying for a full account. We would have been happy to talk to you at any time about your billing. Regards, Cynthia Customer Support Manager

Linda
February 26th, 2019 San Diego, CA

I was able to find the form I needed. I had forgotten that I had a previous account with LawDepot yet I was allowed to take advantage of the complimentary 7 day use of forms on the site. Monique was efficient, quick and most helpful! Thank you all.

Alan Gleeson
February 21st, 2019

I telephoned with a problem and spoke to Janet. I am in a manager in a customer based environment in Sheffield England and must say I was very impressed with Janet’s telephone manner and professionalism . Janet was very patient and made me feel at ease and very comfortable in her hands. Janet dealt quickly and efficiently with my problem and now I will most certainly be recommending your company to others. Thank you Janet!

Chuck berrie
February 14th, 2019 Hartly, DE DETAILS

forms where hard to find and download. when I cancelled the rep said I would get a one month credit in 2 to 3 days. ovwere a week and still waiting.

roger j haaksma
February 6th, 2019 Frankfort, IL DETAILS

Lady that assisted me with form and billing (Monique) was extremely helpful and I'm glad she is good at her job.

Deborah MENAQUALE
February 6th, 2019 Bear, DE

It was very helpful. I spoke with Monique and she was so nice and caring. I can not say enough about how easy this made things. Thank You

Karen
February 6th, 2019 Whigham, GA DETAILS

Monique was very helpful. She made sure I had a clear understanding on how to retrieve the documents that I needed. I sincerely thank Monique for doing an outstanding job.

Paul Atkinson
January 25th, 2019 Chesapeake, VA DETAILS

Their pricing was very deceptive. When I signed up for the advertised monthly price , I was charged for an entire year.

Jan 24, 2019

Hello Paul, I am sorry for any confusion when you selected the 1 Year Pro License it stated that it was $7.99/month prepaid for 1 year. I also see that you sent in a ticket about this issue in which we responded and refunded your $95.88. Cynthia

michael
January 24th, 2019 Scarsdale, NY DETAILS

Very easy navigating the lease section. Plenty of room for adding personal additions

Chelsea
January 23rd, 2019 Murphy, NC DETAILS

Very helpful and corrected my mistake for me! Very good service.

Mary
January 22nd, 2019 Sun City Center, FL DETAILS

Janet M was great!!! Efficient friendly pleasant knowledgeable

SHUDH
January 18th, 2019 Hauppauge, NY DETAILS

Used it for 2 months. Excellent website. MOST IMPORTANTLY IT TAKES A SECOND TO CANCEL THE SERVICE WITH A CLICK OF A BUTTON UNLIKE OTHER SERVICES.

Empress
January 17th, 2019 Boston, MA DETAILS

The LIVE CHAT FEATURE IS GREAT! HOWEVER DURING THE FREE TRIAL PERIOD, documents PREVIEW NICELY, but when they are DOWNLOADED, there's a HUGE DRAFT WATERMARK ALL THE WAY THROUGH. For what? Please fix this. One should not have to go to customer service to send it CLEANLY.

ronnie Boraks
January 17th, 2019 Boca Raton, FL

Janet was very helpful. She answered all my questions

Lauren
January 10th, 2019 DETAILS

Valuable legal documents, but like everybody else has written on here they give you VERY LITTLE indication that they will be charging you after you sign up. I thought I entered my credit card information so that I could purchase the ONE legal document I printed off on my first day, turns out in the fine print of one email that was sent to my junk folder, did they inform me my trial would end in one week. The title of the website itself says "FREE LEGAL DOCUMENTS". DO NOT use this website, or at least make sure they're not charging you and cancel your free subscription right away.

Janet
January 9th, 2019 Lake Panasoffkee, FL

I made a mistake and accidentally chose the wrong option for the subscription. Monique was so helpful in helping ,e get my refund. Thanks Law Depot!

Ginny Getty
January 2nd, 2019 Shingle Springs, CA

Thank you to Monique - excellent customer service! I will, unfortunately, need to cancel my account with LawDepot at this time. I do not have time at the moment to carefully evaluate if this will meet my needs and I will cancel my automatic pmt. When I have the time, I will get involved again. Thank you for your time.

Jill
December 21st, 2018 Boca Raton, FL DETAILS

This is just another one of those online scams! Purchase anything, even a one time purchase of a form, and they bill your card every month!!! I purchased a one time form, used my biz bank card right before we switched banks, and I come to find out that they kept hitting the account with fees, every month, each time racking up bank charges in our former account where we had not left a lot of funds after the switch! If only these places did business honorably they would still make their money, instead of trickery and robbing people with ‘subscriptions’ we don’t want or need!!!

Dec 24, 2018

Hello, To clarify, our trial offer is free for a one week period. During that time, you can create, download and print as many documents as you need. You can cancel at any time and there is no obligation. You simply need to cancel the subscription by requesting the cancellation under Your Account, or accessing live chat or phone and we'll cancel it for you within the seven day window. You also receive an email recapping the offer details and the date and time to cancel by appear in the email. We do have you enter your credit card information for uninterrupted access to your documents. There are no charges to the card if the trial offer is cancelled within the seven day trial period. Once the account is cancelled we send a confirmation email stating that the account is cancelled and we do not bill after this time. Regards, Cynthia Customer Support

Sara Alexander
December 20th, 2018 Paris, TX DETAILS

DO NOT sign up for this service!! Even if you cancel before the free trial is over, there is no guarantee you won't be charged.

Dec 20, 2018

Hello Sara, If the free trial is cancelled we do not bill the credit card. When the account is cancelled you will receive a confirmation email stating that the account is cancelled. I am not finding an account under your name but if you wish to disuses the charges to your account please give me a call toll free at 1 866.608.1020 Ext 337 Regards, Cynthia Customer Support Manager

Len K.
December 20th, 2018 Roslyn, NY

Everyone I have dealt with is most professional and helpful!

Baky S
December 5th, 2018 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Far from being as good as advertised. Their documents library is extremely limited. The Phone customer service is horrendous. There are several option that are fare better! I would not recommend it at all.

Dec 06, 2018

Hello, I am sorry for the customer service you received on the phone with our customer service department. What type of documents are you looking for? Cynthia Customer Support

Linda Lafrance
December 5th, 2018 Sacramento, CA

The ratings on this company should 5 star. I have never been more please with the needed FREE documents that I have required from Law Depot. Just because you have to give them your CC doesn't mean there a scam. You are free to use ther service but must cancel within a time limit. How easy is that. I love them.... It took me 30mins to create POA Printed it. Cancel my use. Got an email that confirmed it was free. I love them😊

Bess Bolkema
December 5th, 2018 Chandler, AZ DETAILS

Monique was a great help! She was able to help me with all the steps even when my computer was not cooperating.

Katarzyna
November 2nd, 2018 Wilkes-Barre, PA

Monique was very helpful! She satisfied my answers and help me with my refund.

Deborah champion
October 15th, 2018

Monique was very professional And helpful

Gary Merin
October 8th, 2018 Pacific Grove, CA

I spoke with Monique H she was awesome, I could tell she knew what she was talking about. Answered all my questions. She has a great phone voice, I am a senior felt very comfortable with her.

Roy B. Jackson
September 24th, 2018 Granbury, TX

Monique H was excellent in her directions, answers to my questions, and explanations. Outstanding service person.

William de Burgh
September 19th, 2018 Rancho Santa Fe, CA DETAILS

Horrible company. I paid them for a document then I discovered three months later that they were billing my credit card monthly for a 33.00 fee. When I called them they indignantly told me that it was my fault for not canceling a monthly subscription. I informed them that I understood at the time that I had paid them for a one time service and I had no idea that they were going to keep charging me every month. The lady on the phone said she was too busy to deal with this, she would close my account and it was just tough that I did not know about the recurring monthly charge. She flat out refused to reimburse what they had charged.

Peggy A Davis
September 11th, 2018 Derby, KS

The process was simple but I had to get help with printing the documents so they didn't show "draft" on them. Don't know if this will happen every time or not.

Noreen O'Donnell
September 5th, 2018 Holbrook, NY

This website is available through many public libraries at no charge. Check with your library.

LaCourtneya
August 24th, 2018 Douglasville, GA DETAILS

I used Law depot to write an affidavit, it was easy to use & the instructions was helpful. When it said it was free & then asked for my credit card info, I was like wait, but I did it anyway. It was totally worth it & they let you cancel. When I was charged, I called I was greeted by a representative named Linda, I was not on the phone for more than 3 minutes & she reversed the charge. I have not had customer service like that in a very long time. I recommend Law Depot & I will use the again. Thank you Linda for your kindness & understanding.

santiago rodriguez
July 27th, 2018 Tampa, FL

Representative Ms. C was very pleasant , and prompt . Best wishes. Thank you.

Jennifer
July 10th, 2018 Fort Lauderdale, FL

The worst customer service i had the representative named Patricia which i actually called back to get her name she would not provide her name stated she don’t have based on my experience as a representative the only thing you don’t provide to a customer is your last name but name and Id is required. She laughed when i was talking to her and disconnected while i am talking. Call back got her again asked for a supervisor she refused and started yelling and disconnected again.

Joe Keunen
July 6th, 2018 Bullhead City, AZ DETAILS

You would think as "legal help" they could at least be truthful, but alas they are true scam artists. It is the old scam of "free" documents; you cant cancel today but you have to cancel at specific time in the future or you will be billed into perpetuity. Deceptive practices at best. Do not use ever!!!!

Chandler Bing
June 28th, 2018 San Francisco, CA

giving 4 stars bc no upfront disclosure you need to provide payment info for the "free" option. once i provided payment info i received a confirmation email indicating, "Your subscription automatically renews in one week on Jun XX 2018 10:09PM ET for $33.00 per month. You can always change your subscription options or cancel your trial before it renews by visiting your account page." i canceled within the disclosed seven day window and received a confirmation email indicating, "We're sorry to see you go, Your Free Trial Subscription has been canceled and you will not be charged in the future." not sure how the other posters didn't understand about the trial period, it's fully disclosed up front with instructions on how to avoid billing. the contract that i selected came out great and i'll use lawdepot again should the need arise.

kim
June 27th, 2018 Parker, CO DETAILS

The customer service from this company is disappointing!!!!! There is a representative by the name of Casandra that was unwilling to work with me, as a concerned consumer. I had to ask for her name no less than 5 times and she would not give it to me. Flat out told me, I was wrong and there was nothing she could do about it. No problem solving or customer service skills what so ever! Extremely frustrating! I would look elsewhere went considering a legal document company.

Jun 27, 2018

Hello Kim, I thank you for taking the time to write this review so that I know what is going on with my customer service team. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad customer experience with us. If you would like to contact me with your account information I can look into your matter for you and, pull the conversation you had with Cassandra so that we can do some coaching. You can contact me Toll Free: +1 866.608.1020 Ext 337 Regards, Cynthia

Michele Stalteri
June 12th, 2018 Stamford, CT DETAILS

Signed up for a one month free trial on May 9th and canceled on May 20th and was still charged $33 on my CC!

Jun 12, 2018

Hello Michele, When you sign up for our Trial Subscription we state that it is a 1 week free trial which is why you were charged. On May 9th we sent out an email to you letting you know the date and time to cancel in order to avoid being charged. We also put this information on the bottom of your receipt. If you wish to contact me directly I can take a look at your account and see if there is anything we can do for you. My phone number is 1 866.608.1020 Ext 337 Regards Cynthia

Lori Campbell
June 4th, 2018 Inglewood, CA

NOT 100% Free forms. They have you go through the whole form and THEN tell you all that info you just entered was a waste if you don't give them your CC info. DO NOT use this site if you think it's free in any way, shape or form. Scam

Teresa Barnard
June 4th, 2018 Spokane, WA DETAILS

SCAM!!!! Pd for 5 year licence for only 1 type of document. I thought I was purchasing access to all docs. Website was not clear enough. Customer service treated me like I was stupid.

Paul David Phillips
May 24th, 2018 Lakewood, OH DETAILS

This company has a very deception on line business process. They offer free form but then require you provide a creit card and starting billing you a week later. Then when you realize the charges are reoccuring they are not willing to provide refunds.

May 24, 2018

Hello Lori, When you select the Trial Subscription we do state that it is free for 1 week and will be $33/month after the trial ends you can cancel anytime with no obligations. When you enter your credit card information we again tell you that it is free for 1 week it will be $33/month after the trial end and you must cancel. We tell you the date and time to cancel at the bottom of your receipt, we also sent you an email right after you signed up with the date and time and how to cancel your account. We did refund 4 of your charges for you as a courtesy. Regards, Cynthia Customer Support Manager

Christine Tobias
May 3rd, 2018 Honey Brook, PA

There should be a note that documents should be done on a computer, not a phone or tablet...that wasted a lot of my time trying to print. Divine was a great help when I did a chat session with her to get the document sent to me.