U-Haul Logo

U-Haul Moving Services was co founded in 1945 by  L.S. Shoen and his wife, Anna Mary Carty Shoen. After World War ll this couple recognized the need for do-it-yourself moving equipment that would be available on a one-way, nationwide basis. Today U-Haul trucks and trailers can be rented from over 15,000 independent dealers and more than 1,200 company-owned U-Haul Moving Centers.

The Good

• Moving Supplies and Moving Help
  • One-Way Destination
  • Low Price on In-Town Moves

Moving Supplies & Moving Help

U-Haul offers multiple moving supplies to make your move simple and easy. Also, U-Hauls is 100 percent buy-back of any unused U-Haul box, with receipt, at any U-Haul center nationwide. Some of the moving supplies U-Haul offers include the following:

• Boxes
  • Covers and Bags
  • Moving and Lifting Tools
  • Rope and Tie Downs
  • Storage Solutions
  • Tape

If you need extra hands to speed up the process of moving you can request additional moving help:

• Load/Unload
  • Pack/Unpack
  • Rental Truck Driving
  • Maid Services/Home Cleaning

One-Way Destination

Moving can be stressful and frustrating, especially when you do not have the right equipment to make the move fast and easy. U-haul is determined to help the customers by offering on-way destination moves. The hustle of driving a rented truck to its original location is eliminated by offering a specific drop-off location in the state where you have moved to.

Low Prices on In-Town Moves

U-Haul offers low prices on the moving trucks if you need to use them in the town where you live. Prices start as low as $19.95 with $0.69 per mile, but total cost is based on the size of the truck and how many miles you will be driving. Also, you have the option to pick extended days and miles rates if you need the truck for certain amount of days.

The Bad

• High Price on Between-State Moves
  • Restrictions on Ford Explorer

High Prices on Between-State Moves

Even though the prices on the U-Haul trucks are cheap for in-town movers, they are much higher if you need to move to a different state. Depending on where you are moving, the prices can range from $170 to $1,200 on a small truck, and up to $1,900 on the larger trucks.

Restrictions on Ford Explorer

If you decide to use U-Haul as your moving partner, you're required to enter the make, model, and year of the vehicle you'll be using if you'll be towing a trailer. If you say that you'll be towing with a Ford Explorer, you may receive a statement that restricts you from using any of the U-Haul equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a do-it yourself moving service that provides moving vehicles, as well as moving equipment, storage facilities and moving help. To make the process even easier you have the option to drop off the moving trucks in the location where you have moved to, even though you might have picked up that same truck somewhere else. If you are using moving trucks in the same town you live in the prices are affordable and customizable based on the days you need it for; however, if you need to moving trucks to move from one state to another the prices might go up to $1,900. Also, if you own Ford Explorer, you can not use their moving equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

U-Haul made moving across the country easy and stress free. I was able to pack all of my stuff into one trailer and avoid the hassle of working with a moving company or paying for shipping fees

CJ Milke Olney, MD

My dad used U-Haul to help me move out of the house. It made it so easy to get all of my belongings into my new apartment. Their customer service desk helped us get a replacement when there was something wrong with the truck. Great service!

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

U-Haul is a good company to rent a truck for moving products. The company is reliable however very expensive. I believe the prices for rental are over priced.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

I rented a truck to move furniture and it was so easy to book and pick up my Uhaul with their site. I didn’t have meet with anyone. The keys were in a lockbox and it was a simple drop off.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Renting a truck from U-Haul is both convenient (a lot of locations) and affordable. Depending on the knowledge agent of the rental clerk behind the counter, the process could be very efficient or take a while.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

U-Haul offers great moving vehicles and storage for all of your moving or storage needs. I have used U-Haul multiple times while moving large amounts of stuff and it would not of been efficient or successful without U-Haul. They offer quality and sturdy moving vehicles (with other moving essential such as: boxes and furniture pads). I always make sure to contact U-Haul, before I need to move large quantities of stuff.

Jaida Williams Tallahassee, FL

U-Haul is extremely useful when moving. There are different size trucks to choose from and they are not expensive at all. Why hire a moving company when you can do it yourself for a discounted price.

Liza Wilson ,

We will never move without renting a truck again! It was definitely worth the cost. They make it so affordable and easy. It was a life saver to not have to make multiple trips!

Van M. Orem, UT

I used U-haul for moving many times, storage units for a long time, and they are everywhere so it was helpful to use in that sense. One time the engine went out while driving and they paid for us to stay the night in a hotel and got everything worked out.

G Burt ,

Overall a great experience on both of our cross-country moves. We have utilized their pod services, and moving truck rentals. My one semi-negative experience was when they changed my pick-up location last minute to a place that was not a very good location, and I had to wait for a few hours to pick up my truck.

Cal Hunter Riverton, UT

Used U-Haul's 16' trailer to move a son from Utah to Omaha a few years back. Loved the low bed to move the heavy things in and out of the trailer. Pick up and drop off was a breeze.

Karli American Fork, UT

Rented a trailer for a day to move. It was quick and easy to reserve on line, pick-up, and drop off and all took a total of about 10 minutes. The price was great and I was very pleased.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I had a great experience with U-Haul htis last summer. I had to rent a trailer to pull a Jeep to Utah. It was a last minute decision and through the website I arranged the rental and picked it up all in one morning. I needed help hooking everything up and got awesome help from a woman who worked there. Dropping off on the other end was super easy!

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

We have been saved by U-Haul a number of times when we have been moving, towing, or the like, because of their rental services. They have large, reliable vehicles for moving and they are a decent rate. The tow dolly we rented took our car many miles.

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I have never paid for a U-Haul personally so I cannot speak on the price, but when helping other people move with the company it is always a convenient service. They allow you to drive the car yourself as long as you pick it up and drop it off in time and provide moving pads to protect furniture that you move. I wouldn't recommend it if you have expensive furniture unless you have moving experience with that type of stuff.

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I've moved several times with U-Haul. The fees are straightforward and the people are usually pretty helpful. I have never run into the issue of reserving a trailer/truck and having it not be there. The only issues I have run into were my own fault - getting too small of a trailer to try to save a few bucks and not being able to fit everything. The online reservation system works great.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I feel like U-Haul is synonymous with moving. Anytime we've needed to move, we call U-Haul because of the trusted service they've provided through the years. It's easy to book, the prices are good, and you know when you rent from them that you'll get just what you need to move furniture, equipment, etc. It's the company we always turn to when we've had to move.

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

Highly recommend Uhaul. Every time we have rented a truck, its been a pleasant experience. I know some rental places can be a headache, but I really like how simple and smoothly the experience was.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

I love the random facts on U-Haul trucks though I hate the fine print of every contract I must sign. Still, the sheer ubiquity of U-Haul gives it a leg up on competitors. They know you pay for that convienience.

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

I have used U-Haul many times for moves. I have used everything from trailers to their largest moving trucks. I have been satisfied with their vehicles and trailers. I have never had any mechanical issues. Their equipment is very convenient for moving and I appreciate their many dealers.

Wendy Smullin Kuna, ID

U-haul has been our primary moving company, because their customer service is excellent. They make sure the trucks are clean, running, and ready. Their return process is easy and convenient.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

We used u-haul for our cross country move. The truck did amazing. We also use them for around town we when have to grab stuff that won’t fit in our car we will get a trailer for the day.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

I love u-haul. They always seem to have a location near me, and renting from them is always a fairly quick process. Their storage units are high quality and they offer A/C in some of those units! I’ve rented both storage units and other products with no problems, and will use them in the future.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I move A LOT and I've always sought out U-Haul first because they have the best rates, great employees who have always been helpful (no matter which location I've visited) and had trucks when I've needed them. No need for further explanation because I've never encountered a problem that needed fixing - I've always been in and out.

Kathy Jones Long Beach, CA

U-Haul has helped our non-profit organization for the last 4 years. We donate new shoes, to inner city kids. W have no way of transporting, Uhaul gives Heart2heart a $150.00 certificate to rent trucks to help transport our donation.

Crystal

Used a uhaul from Washington State to new Mexico. It was a 10 ft truck, easy to drive very smooth. I think they had speed control on though. Couldn't go faster than 70 even though some freeways in states are faster which really sucked. It wasn't our first choice of renting due to its higher pricing than others but it's automatic and has many outlets where I could return.

Michele A. Little Rock, AR

Recently, we moved two daughters into an apartment. After a summer of collecting furniture and supplies in the garage, we were anxious about finding a truck that was large enough to carry everything, but easily driven by their dad. U-Haul had exactly what we needed, and it was priced right.

AF ,

We used a U-Haul truck when moving across town. I liked that the one we got had an electronic ramp - that made it much easier. I remember worrying that we would be able to get the truck back in time (we didn't want to get charged a bundle extra).

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

We used U-haul to move into our new house and it was great. Easy to get the truck and most of all they had movers on their website that we were able to hire to help with the heavy lifting. Great when you are moving from a 3rd floor.

Jessica Archuleta Riverton, UT

We used U-haul when we sold our house and moved. We were able to rent a truck big enough to fit all of our stuff. It was so nice to do that. What a relief that we were able to fit everything in one shot. Will recommend and use them again in the future!

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

U-Haul is my one and only go-to when moving. U-Haul is dependable, flexible, and affordable. I can always depend on U-Haul to have a variety of vehicles and items for my moving needs. They offer a ride range of truck sizes, whether you're moving items from a small room or large house. To top it off, they offer packaging materials like tape, boxes, and much more. The prices are great with a flat rate and your expense depends on how much you travel. Not too bad, I would recommend.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

Ive always had a good experience with UHaul. Lots of truck sizes to choose from. Pretty cheap rates. And lots of locations to rent from. My one annoyance with UHaul though is having to pay for the dolly. They purposely put it in the truck and lock it up in front of you, tempting you to break the seal. Hahaha kinda shady, but no big deal as long as you know to expect it.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I’ve used U-Haul and few times during our moves and it has made the moving process so much easier. I’ve done several moves with just our own personal trucks and trucks from friends and it was a lot of trips and a lot of work. I loved using U-Haul because everything was enclosed, so you had that piece of mind knowing your would losing anything along the way and we did the move is just a few trips. It was so work the money and made the moving process so much faster. We will use them again if we ever have to move again.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

When moving from West Valley City to Herriman, we were able to load up a big U-Haul one time and get the job done quickly. Both the cab and the back of the truck that we rented were clean. The associate that helped us get it all lined up was courteous and nice, he even made us laugh a few times. We were able to get all the boxes and tape we needed for the move from U-Haul as well. Thanks U-Haul for making moving a breeze.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

Growing up there was a U-Haul store up the road from us. I saw it daily going to grandmas house. 30 years later that store is STILL there and I have used them a handful of times. Moving out of my folks into my 1st apartment. From my 1st apartment to my 1st town home and then to my new home with my wife. They have amazing prices, great customer service and are SO easy to work with, pick up trucks and return. It's no wonder they have been around for as long as they have

RodrigoRamirez Austin, TX

I've had to move several times within the city I'm in. When I do, I'm always debating over paying for movers or doing it myself and when doing so, then ask how I'm gonna do it? Thankfully U-Haul has made this extremely easy as not only they've provided the trucks I need, but at decent prices. In addition to this, dealing with the people at the locations have been a breeze. I can't say I've tried others, but I don't see a reason why I would. Thanks U-Haul!

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

U-Haul is very easy to use and its prices are very realistic. I’ve never had any issues with them and all of their products are very high-quality.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

For trailer rentals these guys kill it. So much cheaper than renting from others. Saved thousands over the years using them.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Use U-Haul to move apartments. Their vehicle was reliable and in good clean condition. The dropoff was flexible but cost me some extra money.

Brandon Farrow Gilbert, AZ

I’ve moved multiple times in the last 5 years and I only use U-Haul because they provide the best products and services.

Hailey Burt Riverton, UT

My family has used U-Haul plenty of times but most recently we moved some stuff from New York to Utah, rented a U-Haul and it was perfect! Super easy and affordable.

Alexis Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

I have used U-Haul company several times and each time has been great. They work at a great price and are always good about working with my schedule.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

Using U boxes for our move was the cheapest and easiest option. Our stuff was where it needed to be when it needed to be there.

Ashley Blosil Kennewick, WA

The local branch we used was great with helping us get the size of truck we needed when we needed it. Plus all the helpful supplies they have in store are great.

Paris Salt Lake City, UT

I love U-Haul. We use them every time we move and you can’t go wrong. It’s a one stop shop in there. We get moving boxes, tape etc. they give you the best bang for you buck!

Tiffany Vollmer Midvale, UT

Love this company and the service they provide. We have used U-Haul on many different occasions and couldn't be happier. Great service for a great price!

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I have made many moves with U-Haul. They are usually very convenient, priced right, and you get the size you need for the time you need it. Also you can return them very conveniently also.

Angela Miamisburg, OH

I have used U-Haul all most every time I have moved in my life and on the most part it has been good but this last time was horrible. My husband and I decided since we always had a good experience with trunk rental that we would use them for a storage unit, the setting it up on line went great, online said insurance was optional so we decide against it because we only need for a month or 2 then we got to uhaul they raised the price from online and demanded we pay for insurance though them even thro our renters insurance covered it. I called corporate they said that they would look into it but never got back to by phone or email. They also said that you do have to have insurance but their website didn't say that. I told them that was false advertising and they need to change their website. I have not been back to their sit to see if they changed it and I plan on never using them again for anything.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We recently had to move my sister back from Las Vegas. We knew to go straight to U-Haul to get a big enough truck at a reasonable rate. U-Haul had just what we needed and took good care of us.

mamar West Valley City, UT

We have moved three times and each time we have used U-Haul because of the best price for what they offer. We have rented their moving trucks and were pleased how they met our needs.