U-Haul Moving Services was co founded in 1945 by  L.S. Shoen and his wife, Anna Mary Carty Shoen. After World War ll this couple recognized the need for do-it-yourself moving equipment that would be available on a one-way, nationwide basis. Today U-Haul trucks and trailers can be rented from over 15,000 independent dealers and more than 1,200 company-owned U-Haul Moving Centers.

Penske Truck chevron_right
3.7
Old Dominion chevron_right

The Good

• Moving Supplies and Moving Help
  • One-Way Destination
  • Low Price on In-Town Moves

Moving Supplies & Moving Help

U-Haul offers multiple moving supplies to make your move simple and easy. Also, U-Hauls is 100 percent buy-back of any unused U-Haul box, with receipt, at any U-Haul center nationwide. Some of the moving supplies U-Haul offers include the following:

• Boxes
  • Covers and Bags
  • Moving and Lifting Tools
  • Rope and Tie Downs
  • Storage Solutions
  • Tape

If you need extra hands to speed up the process of moving you can request additional moving help:

• Load/Unload
  • Pack/Unpack
  • Rental Truck Driving
  • Maid Services/Home Cleaning

One-Way Destination

Moving can be stressful and frustrating, especially when you do not have the right equipment to make the move fast and easy. U-haul is determined to help the customers by offering on-way destination moves. The hustle of driving a rented truck to its original location is eliminated by offering a specific drop-off location in the state where you have moved to.

Low Prices on In-Town Moves

U-Haul offers low prices on the moving trucks if you need to use them in the town where you live. Prices start as low as $19.95 with $0.69 per mile, but total cost is based on the size of the truck and how many miles you will be driving. Also, you have the option to pick extended days and miles rates if you need the truck for certain amount of days.

The Bad

• High Price on Between-State Moves
  • Restrictions on Ford Explorer

High Prices on Between-State Moves

Even though the prices on the U-Haul trucks are cheap for in-town movers, they are much higher if you need to move to a different state. Depending on where you are moving, the prices can range from $170 to $1,200 on a small truck, and up to $1,900 on the larger trucks.

Restrictions on Ford Explorer

If you decide to use U-Haul as your moving partner, you're required to enter the make, model, and year of the vehicle you'll be using if you'll be towing a trailer. If you say that you'll be towing with a Ford Explorer, you may receive a statement that restricts you from using any of the U-Haul equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a do-it yourself moving service that provides moving vehicles, as well as moving equipment, storage facilities and moving help. To make the process even easier you have the option to drop off the moving trucks in the location where you have moved to, even though you might have picked up that same truck somewhere else. If you are using moving trucks in the same town you live in the prices are affordable and customizable based on the days you need it for; however, if you need to moving trucks to move from one state to another the prices might go up to $1,900. Also, if you own Ford Explorer, you can not use their moving equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

3.9

Tom Gourley
November 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Our truck was available when scheduled although checkout was a bit cumbersome. Pricing was fair and check in was smooth.

Nathan D.
November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS

If you are like me and don't want to pay for a professional moving company and have friends that can help you lug around your furniture, UHaul is great! The trucks are easy to load and relatively easy to drive. The price is affordable as well.

Amanda Rosen
November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS

U-Haul made my moving experience from New Jersey to Pennsylvania easier. Positive experience.

Angelica Dela Cruz
November 13th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS

Delivers packages in an instant. U-haul is a very efficient and always brings my packages to me on time.

Mike Gourley
November 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When making reservations, trucks still aren’t available when you show up for time. Over booking is a huge problem. Prices are fair compared to competition.

Eric Smith
November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

With so many locations it made it simple to choose who we would use so we could return it when we were done without any hassle. Lots of options and at a great cost.

Sara S
November 8th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS

I have used U-Haul only once to transport my car about 8 hours away. The prices they charge to rent their equipment is pretty expensive but they are a trusted brand so it is worth the extra money. They have a lot of options to suite your needs- depending on if you need a small or large transportation vehicle.

Tony
November 7th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

UHaul had no functioning A/C and I moved 350 miles in July. Not my favorite drive.

Jon Posey
November 7th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

I think Uhaul is 20 years behind the rest of the world. Their trucks are garbage, they never work, always break down, and then you are stuck with all that wasted time. I will never use them again.

Alison
August 6th, 2019 Middlefield, CT DETAILS

This is a rip-off. They will charge you for services you did not use. Run far from U-haul and never use them. We used to be regular customers but we will never use them again. I rented a trailer for a one way move. When I tried to use it I realized it was too small and would not meet my needs. I returned it 1 1/2 hours after I had received it. I was told I would be refunded the time I did not use but this is not the case. They charged me the full cost of the service I did not use. They refused to explain any of this until many days later. As I said, never again!!!

Tanner Cook
December 18th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love u-haul. They always seem to have a location near me, and renting from them is always a fairly quick process. Their storage units are high quality and they offer A/C in some of those units! I’ve rented both storage units and other products with no problems, and will use them in the future.

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have made many moves with U-Haul. They are usually very convenient, priced right, and you get the size you need for the time you need it. Also you can return them very conveniently also.

Hannah Cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

U-Haul is a great company. Its easy to book a moving truck and the customer service is great in person.

Karen Nelson
July 30th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I have used U-Haul all my life. We have moved all over the country and are campers. U-haul has reasonable rates and have sometimes given me fantastic rates. I love that you can get supplies there also.

Sara Jane
July 25th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Excellent moving service. Good truck pricing, good customer service. I really appreciate the ability to return early and only being charged for what I use.

Jack N
July 23rd, 2018 Provo, UT

We have used uhaul every single time that we have moved and they have been completely reliable in every way

Jennifer Garrard
July 19th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I had to rent a U-haul truck to transport a large Basketball Connect 4. Loved the service I received, truck drove well, and the company was easy to work with.

Joanna Hester
June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

When we had our last local move, we used U-Haul. The truck was in great shape and we were able to move all our big items in one day. The cost was unbelievably low and we would definitely use again!

Brayden D.
June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Uhal is the best at what they do and I always refer them to my friends mainly because their trucks for rent are perfect for moving.

Sadie Scoville
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We had to move a few very large things from our home and we chose a U-Haul truck to do that. The move was successful, but I kind of wish that there was a window behind me so I can see what it behind me.

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used U-Haul many times and they are always very reasonable, very convenient, and very flexible. I will always use them.

Kristin
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used U-Haul trucks every time we have moved a short distance. My only complaint would be is that they charge for extra blankets or even a dolly. They need to include more in their regular price.

Amelia Gibson
June 4th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I like this company, they have a great system. They make moving/ going on a trip, a whole lot easier.

Lynette Fowler
June 4th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have used U-Haul several times to move furniture to and from locations. They are a very reputable and trustworthy company we would use again because of their fair prices and dependable trucks.

Nana Asiata
May 29th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Using the U-Haul really helped out my family a lot! It was helpful because we didn't need to drive many cars, everything could fit in one bit truck. I loved it.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Me and my family have moved many times and we always get U-Haul because they are always there to help us out with a big van.

Schon
April 30th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Loved the service and the pricing was good. I rented one of the larger trucks during a move across my town. I had no issues and was very pleased with how much it helped us move.

K Robison
April 30th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Used this to help my my daughter and son in-law move. Great service for a good price. I would recommend.

Trent
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

They seem great. The moving trucks that i have seen have been clean and they work well.

Erin Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

U-Haul is great to work with. Their trucks are in good condition and I love that they have lower beds so it is easier to pack up.

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I have used their truck to move before and it was a good experience. Reasonable prices and a lot of space.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Rented a moving dolly. It was easy and good price.

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

A necessary evil. Wish I had a truck. When you need to move and need the truck though, a good option. Don't buy the extra insurance if you don't need. Chances are, your auto insurance might already cover it.

Angela
April 9th, 2018 Miamisburg, OH DETAILS

I have used U-Haul all most every time I have moved in my life and on the most part it has been good but this last time was horrible. My husband and I decided since we always had a good experience with trunk rental that we would use them for a storage unit, the setting it up on line went great, online said insurance was optional so we decide against it because we only need for a month or 2 then we got to uhaul they raised the price from online and demanded we pay for insurance though them even thro our renters insurance covered it. I called corporate they said that they would look into it but never got back to by phone or email. They also said that you do have to have insurance but their website didn't say that. I told them that was false advertising and they need to change their website. I have not been back to their sit to see if they changed it and I plan on never using them again for anything.

Hannah
December 14th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We used this to move a washer and dryer. We liked how close it was to our house and renting it was not a big hassle. However I think it was a bit pricey. I wish it was a little more affordable.

Nichole Davidson
November 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I move A LOT and I've always sought out U-Haul first because they have the best rates, great employees who have always been helpful (no matter which location I've visited) and had trucks when I've needed them. No need for further explanation because I've never encountered a problem that needed fixing - I've always been in and out.

Luke Gibson
November 9th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

It seems like wherever I go around the country, U-Haul is consistently a difficult experience. Something always turns out differently than you'd hoped, and not in a good way. The prices advertised are deceiving, they need a much better model to communicate what a customer will actually end up paying instead of blasting "only $20!" on the side of their trucks when you will very likely be paying $100+. The customer service is consistently terrible and the more avoided the better. However this isn't usually possible since something is always sure to go wrong.

Kristy
November 9th, 2017 Boise, ID DETAILS

Mostly good. Only complaint is they didn't have the truck at the pickup location I requested so I had to drive 20 extra minutes. Not much of a big deal.

Chriz
November 9th, 2017 Vernal, UT DETAILS

Competency low. Customer service low. Unsatisfactory.

Dale Zollinger
November 6th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Good experience. Great rates. Overall a great experience.

Hyrum
November 6th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I've moved several times with U-Haul. The fees are straightforward and the people are usually pretty helpful. I have never run into the issue of reserving a trailer/truck and having it not be there. The only issues I have run into were my own fault - getting too small of a trailer to try to save a few bucks and not being able to fit everything. The online reservation system works great.

Jami Myers
November 6th, 2017 Victor, ID DETAILS

We've used UHaul multiple time when we've been in a pinch to move some items quickly. They have always been a reliable source for us. The dealers are friendly and the trailers are high quality.

Pete
October 31st, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I rented a truck for the day to help me move offices. Everything was really easy and straightforward. Fair price and the workers were very helpful and nice. I'd definitely use U-Haul again.

Shelly Zollinger
October 30th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Great to work with. Easy return when finished with the truck.

Wasmi Alfuzai
October 20th, 2017 Grand Junction, CO

The worse in road services I have seen. Around 1 and half hours waiting and freezing in the freezing weather.

Berk DeLevi
October 3rd, 2017

The customer service has no clue about what's going on.

Jason m
September 29th, 2017

I rented a U-Haul pick up for the first time and I spent $210 before I even turned the key. I just needed it for the day as I was moving bedroom furniture round trip from Fort Myers to Ocala which, all in all, is roughly 475 miles. The truck was nice despite the person before me only putting 1/4 of a tank of gas in....fast forward to dropping off the truck. The location closed at 7pm and I arrived at 10:30pm, yet the attendant said I could return at any time. That’s all that was said, nothing about the online check in to return. I had to take pics of the truck and it was very cumbersome to use. At the end of the return check in online I get told I still owed another $70? Not mentioned whatsoever by the attendant in the morning. I can understand $15 for the mileage I went over, but $70 on top of an already exorbitant $210 left a bad taste in my mouth! I can’t give the review a 0 because it did provide me with the service I asked for. Just too expensively...if I were 21 or over, I would have gone to either Lowe’s or Home Depot to rent one of their trucks for the whole day for a flat $90! Unless I was in a severe pinch or had a LARGE amount of stuff I would not use U-Haul again.

Kathy Jones
September 19th, 2017 Long Beach, CA

U-Haul has helped our non-profit organization for the last 4 years. We donate new shoes, to inner city kids. W have no way of transporting, Uhaul gives Heart2heart a $150.00 certificate to rent trucks to help transport our donation.

Crystal
August 24th, 2017

Used a uhaul from Washington State to new Mexico. It was a 10 ft truck, easy to drive very smooth. I think they had speed control on though. Couldn't go faster than 70 even though some freeways in states are faster which really sucked. It wasn't our first choice of renting due to its higher pricing than others but it's automatic and has many outlets where I could return.

Paul Ashton Hollingworth
June 29th, 2017 Plumas Ntl Forest, CA

Great equipment, but the mileage fees are a bit expensive