U-Haul Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 17th, 2022

U-Haul Moving Services was co founded in 1945 by  L.S. Shoen and his wife, Anna Mary Carty Shoen. After World War ll this couple recognized the need for do-it-yourself moving equipment that would be available on a one-way, nationwide basis. Today U-Haul trucks and trailers can be rented from over 15,000 independent dealers and more than 1,200 company-owned U-Haul Moving Centers.

The Good

• Moving Supplies and Moving Help
  • One-Way Destination
  • Low Price on In-Town Moves

Moving Supplies & Moving Help

U-Haul offers multiple moving supplies to make your move simple and easy. Also, U-Hauls is 100 percent buy-back of any unused U-Haul box, with receipt, at any U-Haul center nationwide. Some of the moving supplies U-Haul offers include the following:

• Boxes
  • Covers and Bags
  • Moving and Lifting Tools
  • Rope and Tie Downs
  • Storage Solutions
  • Tape

If you need extra hands to speed up the process of moving you can request additional moving help:

• Load/Unload
  • Pack/Unpack
  • Rental Truck Driving
  • Maid Services/Home Cleaning

One-Way Destination

Moving can be stressful and frustrating, especially when you do not have the right equipment to make the move fast and easy. U-haul is determined to help the customers by offering on-way destination moves. The hustle of driving a rented truck to its original location is eliminated by offering a specific drop-off location in the state where you have moved to.

Low Prices on In-Town Moves

U-Haul offers low prices on the moving trucks if you need to use them in the town where you live. Prices start as low as $19.95 with $0.69 per mile, but total cost is based on the size of the truck and how many miles you will be driving. Also, you have the option to pick extended days and miles rates if you need the truck for certain amount of days.

The Bad

• High Price on Between-State Moves
  • Restrictions on Ford Explorer

High Prices on Between-State Moves

Even though the prices on the U-Haul trucks are cheap for in-town movers, they are much higher if you need to move to a different state. Depending on where you are moving, the prices can range from $170 to $1,200 on a small truck, and up to $1,900 on the larger trucks.

Restrictions on Ford Explorer

If you decide to use U-Haul as your moving partner, you're required to enter the make, model, and year of the vehicle you'll be using if you'll be towing a trailer. If you say that you'll be towing with a Ford Explorer, you may receive a statement that restricts you from using any of the U-Haul equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a do-it yourself moving service that provides moving vehicles, as well as moving equipment, storage facilities and moving help. To make the process even easier you have the option to drop off the moving trucks in the location where you have moved to, even though you might have picked up that same truck somewhere else. If you are using moving trucks in the same town you live in the prices are affordable and customizable based on the days you need it for; however, if you need to moving trucks to move from one state to another the prices might go up to $1,900. Also, if you own Ford Explorer, you can not use their moving equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

Ruth Gordon FL

U-Haul has been a company that has been around all my life that I can remember. I am 5 an Me and my family have always trusted U Haul with our moving needs. My elderly mother moved her entire house from Tallahassee Florida to Los Angeles CA last year. She and my son and 2 kitty cats rented a large truck and a hitch to haul her SUV. It took 4 days to travel and reach their destination. Thank you for getting my family there safely U -Haul.

Kaveh Parsi Calgary, AB

They're a great moving with very good customer service in my experience. Every time I wanted to rent a truck to move my stuff or help a family or friends move the were very good and gave us the vehicle we needed even if they didn't have it at their location they called and booked one for us at another location and all we had to do was go and pick it up

DefToneR Fort Collins, CO

I used Uhaul locally in florida several times for trailers rental. But then I moved out from florida and rented a truck. I was scared that the truck was going to be old or in bad shape. But ended up that it even had NEW tires (and expensive ones) so I felt more confident. The truck wasn't the most new but it did its job. All neighbor branches are a disaster, always try to finde a dealer not a neighbor branch. They are almost (of not the only) the only company that rent trailers out of the state. Everything worked just fine. May be the customer service at most location is not the best but the product and service itself works. Now at the same branch that I dropped the truck at my destination city, is where I reload my propane :D

Dottie Denver, CO

Made a reservation during my last move with U-Haul. Showed up the day of my move and they were very accommodating. Had the truck I reserved ready and waiting for me. Also the store I went to had all the moving supplies I needed. Thanks U-Haul!!

ReputationMatters Boise, ID

Used for years, UHaul always comes through with good equiptment. But they've taken on a piece of junk with their phone app. It for the past three rentals using two differnt current model Samsung photos refuses to accept the pictures they reaquire I take of the dashboard. So I end up leaving the keys and a voicemail indicating such and they clear up the mess. The mess is the app.

Mary Ellen Lee Gilbert, AZ

I LOVE U-Haul. Needing to rent a truck for moving is difficult and plans change. I have never seen a more flexible moving company. Their prices are great and their customer service is unmatched. Their supplies are also very reasonably priced. We use them for all of our short-term moving needs!

tracy Warner Robins, GA

i think U-Haul is a perfectly fine moving co. They have always gone above and beyond to help me with whatever i needed. Never have i had a problem with any equipment i rented. I can't think of anything bad to say about the co.

Jewelleah Kempers Las Vegas, NV

Uhaul is notorious for getting customers in their door with their flashy ads all over their trucks of "Rent this truck for just $29.99 one way!" Well, that 29.99 turned into $189.00 after they charged me for gas and other fees. I refilled the gas myself prior to returning the truck but it was after hours so I dropped it off and put the keys in the drop box and the next day they ran my credit card for another $108 stating the gas level was not where it was supposed to be! I put $85 in the tank and I only drove a total of 16 miles round trip! These people take advantage of the credit card you put on file and charge you whatever they feel like charging after you leave. It's terrible!

James Woodworth Peoria, AZ

I rented a 26 ft. Truck and car trailer to move across the country. I had no issues. Would do it again. The truck was loaded to the hilt and the low truck bed and built-in loading ramp made it very easy to load and unload.

Jenny Hite Kansas City, MO

I have used U-Haul many times through the years. The best deal is to have your own trailer hitch and to rent a trailer and that keeps the price to the advertised price. Other than that, renting a truck works well but is MUCH more expensive than the advertised $19.99/day, etc. But I've always been very pleased with the customer service and ease of rental and check in.

cathy beasley Livingston, TN

Any and everytime I go to move uhaul is my choice. They have great prices . The trucks are very roomy and depending on what your moving they have a variety of sizes. And returning the uhaul I've always found to be easy theres normally a uhaul place close to you for you to drop off they are easily located. I have to say I will stick with uhaul for my moving needs because I've never had to complain about anything with them . They always meet my expectations in truck size, location , and price.

Kim Boyles Wilson, NC

I rented a U-Haul for moving out of a storage building into my new home. I found the price base on size and time used along with mileage to be best in my area. I looked into several other companies and went back to U-Haul because of the broad range of locations in many towns near me. They also made it simple to rent for my needs with fast experienced customer care.

Ryan R. Jacksonville, FL

Utilized U-Haul a couple of times for moves. U-Haul provides everything from truck/van rentals, storage for your furniture/valuables, and packing supplies (boxes, tape, sheet wrap, etc.). Able to set up through U-Haul's website all the things I need to-such as renting a storage space, truck/van, and purchasing supplies. All locations I have visited have very professional and courteous staff who ensure that you're all set up for your big move. Can't recommend U-Haul anymore than I already have-great great company!

Dee Belfast, ME

U-Haul has been my choice for a company helping with moving items. Most recently I rented a trailer(open tow trailer) to pick up a chicken coop about 3 hours away. The trailer was easy to put the coop onto. I also found it easy to secure the coop with rope due to the various hook areas available. I sometimes even use their box trucks & vans to move local items myself.

Jnt_421 Bethel Park, PA

Uhaul is very convenient and they have so many locations. You can rent for an hour or you can rent for a day, and it's affordable. They have everything you need, or didn't think of, to help with your move. Their storage facilities on the other hand are a little pricey compared to their competitors. With that being said, I do not have any complaints about Uhaul, and the services I have had, have been good.

P M San Francisco, CA

When needing to move something, and you just need to get it done without problems, you can't beat the clean, maintained vehicles and moving products U-Haul provides. Thanks!

Michael Ard Albany, KY

This is a company that advertises rental trucks for $19 per day. That’s true and it’s a good value but somewhat deceptive for first time users. The mileage fees added on plus the other taxes and fees add up quickly. Just be aware that the advertised price is just the beginning and be prepared to pay more based on your particular usage.

Joesaffran Baltimore, MD

I can only review the service I had at the location near my home. That being said, it wasn’t the greatest. The cashier seemed to me she rather be somewhere other then there at her job. Then she answers like you are interrupting her day. I received no opinions on what size truck or storage I should use. I had no clue. If it wasn’t for the customer in the store I would have rented anything. The truck was dirty (inside) and ran really ruff. I had no problems returning the truck but then again it was a different person. Remember, it’s My location I’m reviewing .

Shelton Germaine Rogers, AR

Over the years I have used this company on more than once occasion. I have found they to really be average. The instore experience is has been about the same as the online experience. They get the job done but I think a lot of it is just that, they will do what is required to stay in business but they are not going to step up and exceed expectations.

Erin Capitena Denver, CO

Great experience booking a U-Haul, arranging for movers at the city we were leaving and new city through the U-Haul website. However, local U-Haul provided the wrong key in the after hours check in process, and there was no direction about returning the truck after hours at the other location (had to parallel park it on the street).

Barbara Hartley

I wanted to rent a truck even though he didn't have a 1 way truck for the day I was moving he definitely took the 5ime to look and see what other possibilities were available for me!!

Crystal Underhile Philadelphia, PA

We had a great U-Haul experience in Battle Creek, MI. They made sure all the lights worked and that the trailer was ckean before we took it. They opened at exactly opening time so we could get the trailer early. We used it for only an hour and they were very feiendly on the return.

Melinda Thompson Wentzville, MO

When I decided to drive a moving truck, as a 62 year old woman, alone, across the country, U-haul put me in a brand new one. Their customer service was excellent and their rates reasonable. And there’s always a local place to pick up and return. I highly recommend them.

Monica Roberts Indianapolis, IN

The last time we used U-Haul was awful they did not inspect the vehicle before we took it off their lot. It had a faulty battery we got stuck dead battery 3 different times after they came and jumped it. Not good customer service wasn't worried about us at all. Smh

Precious H. DeSoto, TX

I have had to use U-Haul a few times when I did not have access to a truck for moving purposes. It is really easy to rent one and drop the truck off at the nearest location to you. I will definately use them in the future if necessary.

Andrew Glover Tucson, AZ

Their equipment has never failed me. I've mainly rented trailers. They're built rock solid and tow straight. The problem is their reservation procedure takes forever, even when you reserve and check in online, when you show up to get your trailer its like going through the whole process a second time. Customer service in store is so slow. They need floor employees to assist people in line with other things while the people filling out reservation documents stand at the counter

Kayla Heddleson Pittsburgh, PA

Have used u- haul everytime I've moved since moving from Florida up here to ohio back in 1998. Prices and service is top quality service to expect for how big or small of a move u have or if u need a dolly/trailer to haul an extra vehicle that ur moving!

SHARON BROWN Philadelphia, PA

I have used U-Haul for many years I like the fact that I can buy all my packing needs like different boxes different sizes all my packing needs I could get from U-Haul also be able to use the trucks with your state-of-the-r trucks and customer services also good

Doglover Valencia, CA

I love this company I've had nothing but great experience no matter what U-Haul center I go to. Their customer service is always excellent. We rent the pick up trucks and 22" trucks and they are always is good working condition. Super happy with the value and customer service as well as the selections of trucks.

Sherry M Lenoir, NC

UHaul no offers the option to hire movers. We moved from South Carolina to North Carolina and had movers on both ends. They were very nice and easy to work with. Just locals doing some work, even the price was reasonable. Would highly recommend if you need assistance to use them.

Charles Hughes Southport, NC

Rented a truck to move furniture a from Raleigh area to NC Outer Banks. We had to extend my rental return time a couple and we weren't charged at all. The overall rate was very good and the both agents (pickup & return) were very friendly, and provided great service! Would definitely rent from them again!

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I've moved several times with U-Haul. The fees are straightforward and the people are usually pretty helpful. I have never run into the issue of reserving a trailer/truck and having it not be there. The only issues I have run into were my own fault - getting too small of a trailer to try to save a few bucks and not being able to fit everything. The online reservation system works great.

Judy Fred Narragansett, RI

Always there when you need them. I can't tell you how many times I've moved over the years. I finally wised up and stopped calling "friends with trucks". The clean smoke free trucks are all automatic transmission with huge mirrors, A/C, and radio. I love the option to use "in-town" or leave the U-Haul in another State. Their customer service is great and the truck are so user friendly. And you can get packing materials to boot. One stop for all moving needs!

KW Seattle, WA

We have used U-Haul for quick hauling jobs (we rented a pickup truck) as well as moving to new homes and moving across country. All the times have been positive experiences. The staff at each location where we rented vehicles or trailers were very friendly and helpful. The vehicles and trailer were all clean and seem to have been well maintained. The price we paid was fairly reasonable.

scotty Saint Paul, MN

U-Haul is one of the older and more experienced moving equipment rental guys. They have every size vehicle or trailer you can want they have good pricing and they know what they're talking about as far as packaging and stacking in a truck so take their advice. I've used them several times some stuff not even for moving necessarily it's all in a big load of something somewhere, are using a car dolly or the car trailer. It's another place to think of if you're trying to tow a car most people don't. They got great roadside service if anything should happen to you on the road in one of their vehicles or pulling on their trailers. I definitely recommend U-Haul over the other guys

Cathy Lee Gettysburg, PA

I rented a U-Haul van to take some furniture to my family in NC. The experience with U-Haul was ultra-pleasant from beginning to end. They were ready for me when I got there. The vehicle was so comfortable, very clean. Check back in was literally moments - there was someone in front of me, so I was prepared to wait, but immediately they came from inside, checked a couple of things and BAM! I was done.

J. D. Maney Pensacola, FL

I have moved more times than I care to count, and although I haven't always used U-Haul for each move, I have used them at least eight times. I literally put my life and all my possessions in their hands when I drive one of their vehicles loaded with what I am moving, whether it be across town or across the country! Never has one of their vehicles broken down and left me stranded, something for which I am so very grateful! If I have to move again (I hope NOT!!), I wouldn't hesitate to call on their services again.

Iseno Jean Francois Elizabeth, NJ

I think U-Haul is a great company. There are 2 things I really like about it. 1) After you finish using its vehicles, you can drop them off at any of their locations. It does not have to be at the one where you picked it up. 2) They offer you insurance, and it's cheap. Once you take it, you're covered. If anything happens to the vehicle, it's on them, not on you.

Dougie D Harold, KY

Cost vs equipment quality is amazing. You can go in, rent it on sight or online any size to fit your budget and needs. From a tiny trailer to a full sized semi truck they got you covered. With other services there is always lost, damaged or stolen items, to them is stuff. With U-Haul it’s all you, so it’s how you want, when you want and level of care that only you will give you precious keepsakes, to you it’s precious memories and emotional history!

Michael Surber Memphis, TN

I have used U-Haul multiple times to move from home to home and also have used their car transport trailers as well and I give them a 5 out of 5 stars on everything as long as you do your part they keep their word. Bring their property back how you got it clean and the gas back where it was and you won't be charged any extra. I made sure to keep my contract with them as they did with me.

Garth Kline Eugene, OR

U-haul is pretty great. If you live in California it can be pretty hard to get out of state hardware, but if you call their support line they will help you find what you need. I needed a 26' truck to move to Oregon. All the quotes I got from movers were between 7k to 20k! So I decided to rent my own truck. Well, there was nothing close, but I called in and they found a truck that was only 30 min away. It was only 600 (not counting gas, which is ridiculous right now.). I literally saved thousands of dollars . Easy to pick up and return, great rates, trust Uhaul. Just remember to call if you can't find what you need online.

Jason Walker LaFayette, GA

I love doing business with UHaul. Their network of rental dealers is convenient, trucks have always been ready when promised and the price is fair for access to this range of equipment. I've used vans and large trucks. I like how UHaul has designed their trucks specifically for how they are used rather than purchasing off-shelf trucks with no forethought or modification. The ramps and "Mom's Attic" are useful features which make the difficult job of moving and item transport much easier. I find the UHaul offices / dealers to be knowledgeable, helpful and up front about availability, pricing and policy.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I used U-Haul when I moved from Washington to Southern California. Specifically, I used three U-Box self-pack pods. Overall, the experience was good, convenient, and cost efficient for me. I didn’t have a lot of stuff to move, and it wasn’t worth paying a moving service. This was less expensive than me renting the truck and doing it all myself and having to drive it myself, and pay for gas. And move a cat. Two things to remember, though: first off, make your reservation WELL in advance, and try to move when everyone else isn’t moving. That goes without saying. This definitely impacts your cost. Secondly, pack that U-box carefully. When they say, “some items may shift during moving“, they are not kidding. I knew things would move around *some*, but I didn’t expect the boxes would be tilted back at as large an angle as they obviously were. Some of my stuff was ruinted. It was annoying, but it wasn’t enough to file an insurance claim for it, and it would not have been worth it to pay for their insurance. Overall, I think U-Haul trucks are also good, and I have used them before to self move, too. I liked the U-box product offering also, but it takes a little bit of planning and strategizing to make it work best for you.

bsummer2000 Longview, TX

We had uhaul put a brake Controller on my SUV and they ran a wire over my gas pedal. Every time o pressed the gas beyond a certain point, my pedal was held down causing me to almost crash off a mountain road in Colorado. It was not until I could get into a parking lot to discover what had actually happened. I called the uhaul in Denver Colorado and they fixed the problem.

John Vaught Denver, CO

They messed up when I ordered a truck and was unable to pick it up but had one ready at a nearby store also gave me an extra couple hours of use at no charge

Lorraine Z New Orleans, LA

Have been renting from U-Haul for years. Always have clean, safe vehicles that have never broken down on me and the attendance are always helpful in making sure I have everything I need for my moving issues.

Henry Lebensbaum Andover, MA

i have used this service several times. It is very inconsistent, and sometimes i have to wait for a scheduled appointment. Sometimes, they do not have the promised vehicle available. The vehicles are usually dirty and every thing is ala carte.

Clinton Coddington Catskill, NY

I have used U Haul on several occasions and have never had any issues with this company. They offer top of the line trucks trailers and shipping to get you and your belongings where they need to go.

Derick Johnson MA

When I helped to move a family member it was made very easy for us to accomplish with the help of U-haul it, we were able to leave the vehicle in the state which my family member moved to and get on the bus to return home

Josh Hughes Denver, CO

Have used Uhaul every time I've moved (a lot). Never have had an issue. Usually have to wait a long time at the stores, but not bad considering the whole experience has been fine.