U-Haul Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021

U-Haul Moving Services was co founded in 1945 by  L.S. Shoen and his wife, Anna Mary Carty Shoen. After World War ll this couple recognized the need for do-it-yourself moving equipment that would be available on a one-way, nationwide basis. Today U-Haul trucks and trailers can be rented from over 15,000 independent dealers and more than 1,200 company-owned U-Haul Moving Centers.

The Good

• Moving Supplies and Moving Help
  • One-Way Destination
  • Low Price on In-Town Moves

Moving Supplies & Moving Help

U-Haul offers multiple moving supplies to make your move simple and easy. Also, U-Hauls is 100 percent buy-back of any unused U-Haul box, with receipt, at any U-Haul center nationwide. Some of the moving supplies U-Haul offers include the following:

• Boxes
  • Covers and Bags
  • Moving and Lifting Tools
  • Rope and Tie Downs
  • Storage Solutions
  • Tape

If you need extra hands to speed up the process of moving you can request additional moving help:

• Load/Unload
  • Pack/Unpack
  • Rental Truck Driving
  • Maid Services/Home Cleaning

One-Way Destination

Moving can be stressful and frustrating, especially when you do not have the right equipment to make the move fast and easy. U-haul is determined to help the customers by offering on-way destination moves. The hustle of driving a rented truck to its original location is eliminated by offering a specific drop-off location in the state where you have moved to.

Low Prices on In-Town Moves

U-Haul offers low prices on the moving trucks if you need to use them in the town where you live. Prices start as low as $19.95 with $0.69 per mile, but total cost is based on the size of the truck and how many miles you will be driving. Also, you have the option to pick extended days and miles rates if you need the truck for certain amount of days.

The Bad

• High Price on Between-State Moves
  • Restrictions on Ford Explorer

High Prices on Between-State Moves

Even though the prices on the U-Haul trucks are cheap for in-town movers, they are much higher if you need to move to a different state. Depending on where you are moving, the prices can range from $170 to $1,200 on a small truck, and up to $1,900 on the larger trucks.

Restrictions on Ford Explorer

If you decide to use U-Haul as your moving partner, you're required to enter the make, model, and year of the vehicle you'll be using if you'll be towing a trailer. If you say that you'll be towing with a Ford Explorer, you may receive a statement that restricts you from using any of the U-Haul equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a do-it yourself moving service that provides moving vehicles, as well as moving equipment, storage facilities and moving help. To make the process even easier you have the option to drop off the moving trucks in the location where you have moved to, even though you might have picked up that same truck somewhere else. If you are using moving trucks in the same town you live in the prices are affordable and customizable based on the days you need it for; however, if you need to moving trucks to move from one state to another the prices might go up to $1,900. Also, if you own Ford Explorer, you can not use their moving equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Really cheap rental, which is awesome when you don't have friends with a truck and you have a whole apartment/house to move. Really low-hassle rental process, and they trucks are really spacious

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

Every move from being a newly wed, to our first home, job change came with a move, to our current home, we have used U-haul to get us moved. The U-Haul Store had a complete selection of boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, labels, pad locks, dollies, moving blankets wardrobe boxes basically, everything we needed to make our moves as easy as possible. That is why we will use U-Haul again when our children have there first homes.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

U-Haul even had some furniture blankets for us to use/rent with the truck. The truck was very spacious and had a pull out ramp that we could use to load and unload our furniture.

Cris Balmanno Riverton, UT

Online reservations aren't guaranteed! Made a "reservation" for a truck online only to be told by the local dealer they didn't have that size truck available and that the online system takes the reservation without checking inventory.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have moved several times throughout my life. U-haul is my favorite company to work with when transporting my belongings from one place to another. Returning the rented vehicle or trailer is easy and they are very affordable.

Dave Spokane, WA

U-Haul locations are everywhere, making one-way rentals almost always a possibility. Prices are reasonable, often surprising me with what a great deal I get. They make it really easy to rent trailer hitches (with installation) if you don't have that already to pull one of their trailers.

Anne Sainsbury South Jordan, UT

I love renting from U-Haul. Whether from my personal moving experiences or those of friends and family, the U-Haul vehicles that we have rented have always been in great shape. They also come with blankets in them in case you don't have any of your own which is super convenient. They are always my go-to for moving!

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

My Dad and I always rent a U-haul when he drives me back to school for fall and spring semesters. I have too much stuff so packing everything in his small Honda Accord just wouldn't work. It's very convenient to be able to rent a trailer when we need it and drop it off at the nearest U-Haul drop off. Highly recommend to anyone who is moving!

LTorres Austin, TX

Staff helpful and knowledgeable about how to you help you prepare for any kind of move.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Charged me 150$ for a freaking crack in the windshield that was already there. Moved across the country, paid for every mile, returned early in clean and perfect condition. even had a picture of the crack on file from the before documentation they make you do on your phone (convoluted process at best btw) and they still charged me. crooks.

Kelly Stanley Herriman, UT

We used the company to tow a car and it was simple to pick up in one location and drop off in another.

Kori Travis FL

U-Haul always satisfies my needs whenever I go to them. They made my move in process much easier by giving me a rental. They are also very affordable

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I got a trailer from u-haul to take my things to college my freshman year. It fit all of my things that I wouldn’t have been able to fit in just my car by itself. Returning the trailer was super easy.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

easy pickup dropoff and schedule. I would recommend to family and friends.

CJ Milke Olney, MD

My dad used U-Haul to help me move out of the house. It made it so easy to get all of my belongings into my new apartment. Their customer service desk helped us get a replacement when there was something wrong with the truck. Great service!

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Easiest way to rent a work truck or moving truck. Usually good selection and very straightforward.

Meg TX

Great company, clean trucks, great prices.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

U-Haul made moving across the country easy and stress free. I was able to pack all of my stuff into one trailer and avoid the hassle of working with a moving company or paying for shipping fees

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Such affordable prices and I absolutely love that you have control over everything.

jakira johnson Tallahassee, FL

U-Hall made moving super easy. The prices are always reasonable and they always have availability.

Simone Harris

Customer service was decent, however, there was little flexibility available for the conditions surrounding renting a vehicle.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

We used UHaul for a couple of our moves and would recommend them to others. We like their trucks and how they ride.

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

We moved states and use a uhaul truck to do it. They were able to get us a good price and a gear pickup time. They were easy to load and drive.

Brycen Blater Provo, UT

The trucks are very affordable, especially for short distances. They can get a bit expensive if moving farther away, but the ease of loading makes it worth it.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

I rented a truck to move furniture and it was so easy to book and pick up my Uhaul with their site. I didn’t have meet with anyone. The keys were in a lockbox and it was a simple drop off.

Amber Williams Salt Lake City, UT

Great customer service truck was clean easy to work with

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I've moved several times with U-Haul. The fees are straightforward and the people are usually pretty helpful. I have never run into the issue of reserving a trailer/truck and having it not be there. The only issues I have run into were my own fault - getting too small of a trailer to try to save a few bucks and not being able to fit everything. The online reservation system works great.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

U-Haul offers great moving vehicles and storage for all of your moving or storage needs. I have used U-Haul multiple times while moving large amounts of stuff and it would not of been efficient or successful without U-Haul. They offer quality and sturdy moving vehicles (with other moving essential such as: boxes and furniture pads). I always make sure to contact U-Haul, before I need to move large quantities of stuff.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Renting a truck from U-Haul is both convenient (a lot of locations) and affordable. Depending on the knowledge agent of the rental clerk behind the counter, the process could be very efficient or take a while.

Jaida Williams Tallahassee, FL

U-Haul is extremely useful when moving. There are different size trucks to choose from and they are not expensive at all. Why hire a moving company when you can do it yourself for a discounted price.

Liza Wilson ,

We will never move without renting a truck again! It was definitely worth the cost. They make it so affordable and easy. It was a life saver to not have to make multiple trips!

Van M. Orem, UT

I used U-haul for moving many times, storage units for a long time, and they are everywhere so it was helpful to use in that sense. One time the engine went out while driving and they paid for us to stay the night in a hotel and got everything worked out.

G Burt ,

Overall a great experience on both of our cross-country moves. We have utilized their pod services, and moving truck rentals. My one semi-negative experience was when they changed my pick-up location last minute to a place that was not a very good location, and I had to wait for a few hours to pick up my truck.

Cal Hunter Riverton, UT

Used U-Haul's 16' trailer to move a son from Utah to Omaha a few years back. Loved the low bed to move the heavy things in and out of the trailer. Pick up and drop off was a breeze.

Karli American Fork, UT

Rented a trailer for a day to move. It was quick and easy to reserve on line, pick-up, and drop off and all took a total of about 10 minutes. The price was great and I was very pleased.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I had a great experience with U-Haul htis last summer. I had to rent a trailer to pull a Jeep to Utah. It was a last minute decision and through the website I arranged the rental and picked it up all in one morning. I needed help hooking everything up and got awesome help from a woman who worked there. Dropping off on the other end was super easy!

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

We have been saved by U-Haul a number of times when we have been moving, towing, or the like, because of their rental services. They have large, reliable vehicles for moving and they are a decent rate. The tow dolly we rented took our car many miles.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

I love u-haul. They always seem to have a location near me, and renting from them is always a fairly quick process. Their storage units are high quality and they offer A/C in some of those units! I’ve rented both storage units and other products with no problems, and will use them in the future.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I move A LOT and I've always sought out U-Haul first because they have the best rates, great employees who have always been helpful (no matter which location I've visited) and had trucks when I've needed them. No need for further explanation because I've never encountered a problem that needed fixing - I've always been in and out.

Kathy Jones Long Beach, CA

U-Haul has helped our non-profit organization for the last 4 years. We donate new shoes, to inner city kids. W have no way of transporting, Uhaul gives Heart2heart a $150.00 certificate to rent trucks to help transport our donation.

Crystal

Used a uhaul from Washington State to new Mexico. It was a 10 ft truck, easy to drive very smooth. I think they had speed control on though. Couldn't go faster than 70 even though some freeways in states are faster which really sucked. It wasn't our first choice of renting due to its higher pricing than others but it's automatic and has many outlets where I could return.

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

They made moving out for college very easy and the prices are very affordable

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I have never paid for a U-Haul personally so I cannot speak on the price, but when helping other people move with the company it is always a convenient service. They allow you to drive the car yourself as long as you pick it up and drop it off in time and provide moving pads to protect furniture that you move. I wouldn't recommend it if you have expensive furniture unless you have moving experience with that type of stuff.

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Used it to move a family member to another state, was easy to rent, worked well and easy return.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I feel like U-Haul is synonymous with moving. Anytime we've needed to move, we call U-Haul because of the trusted service they've provided through the years. It's easy to book, the prices are good, and you know when you rent from them that you'll get just what you need to move furniture, equipment, etc. It's the company we always turn to when we've had to move.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

U-Haul is my one and only go-to when moving. U-Haul is dependable, flexible, and affordable. I can always depend on U-Haul to have a variety of vehicles and items for my moving needs. They offer a ride range of truck sizes, whether you're moving items from a small room or large house. To top it off, they offer packaging materials like tape, boxes, and much more. The prices are great with a flat rate and your expense depends on how much you travel. Not too bad, I would recommend.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

Ive always had a good experience with UHaul. Lots of truck sizes to choose from. Pretty cheap rates. And lots of locations to rent from. My one annoyance with UHaul though is having to pay for the dolly. They purposely put it in the truck and lock it up in front of you, tempting you to break the seal. Hahaha kinda shady, but no big deal as long as you know to expect it.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I’ve used U-Haul and few times during our moves and it has made the moving process so much easier. I’ve done several moves with just our own personal trucks and trucks from friends and it was a lot of trips and a lot of work. I loved using U-Haul because everything was enclosed, so you had that piece of mind knowing your would losing anything along the way and we did the move is just a few trips. It was so work the money and made the moving process so much faster. We will use them again if we ever have to move again.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

When moving from West Valley City to Herriman, we were able to load up a big U-Haul one time and get the job done quickly. Both the cab and the back of the truck that we rented were clean. The associate that helped us get it all lined up was courteous and nice, he even made us laugh a few times. We were able to get all the boxes and tape we needed for the move from U-Haul as well. Thanks U-Haul for making moving a breeze.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

Growing up there was a U-Haul store up the road from us. I saw it daily going to grandmas house. 30 years later that store is STILL there and I have used them a handful of times. Moving out of my folks into my 1st apartment. From my 1st apartment to my 1st town home and then to my new home with my wife. They have amazing prices, great customer service and are SO easy to work with, pick up trucks and return. It's no wonder they have been around for as long as they have