Medical Care Alert

5.3

a month ago

Medical Care Alert

verified
Services Available only in U.S.

Medical Care Alert Services are provided by Michigan-based, family-owned parent company American Response Technologies, Inc. The company's goal since its inception has been to make the best quality medical alert monitoring equipment affordable to everyone who needs it. Medical Care Alert offers several different emergency response systems and variety of payment options to suit your needs and preferences. These systems are manufactured by BOSCH, a German healthcare manufacturer that is known for creating hospital-grade medical and communications technology.

The Good

• Contract
  • Warranty
  • Monitoring Features and Awards
  • Customer Service
  • Safe, User-Friendly Equipment
  • Mobile Ability

Contract

Medical Care Alert offers members a choice of three subscription service plans: annual, semiannual, and quarterly. There is no contract. If at any point members would like to cancel their services, they can do so without charge. And if you cancel within the first 14 days, you get a full refund.

Warranty

Medical Care Alert devices are backed by a lifetime warranty but have some limitations if you want to return the equipment. More information is featured in The Bad section.

Monitoring Features and Awards

Medical Care Alert centers are all based in the United States, monitoring you 24/7/365. The company also offers free spouse monitoring. In an emergency, the monitoring center will call people on the contact list and send free SMS text messages to cell phones. Medical Care Alert's monitoring center was awarded the CSAA 2016 Monitoring Center of the Year Award.

Medical Care Alert's EMT-certified Life Safety agents are ready and available to assist members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year, including holidays. Whether you have questions about ordering equipment or if you are experiencing difficulty operating the system, their Emergency Response System is there to help by phone or email.

Safe, User-Friendly Equipment

Medical Care Alert's push-button wristwatch and necklace devices are aesthetically designed for comfort and attractiveness. The functions are designed for easy and simple use by just pressing a button, instantly connecting seniors with the company's Emergency Response System. The button is waterproof up to three meters deep and is easily pushed with arthritic hands. Medical Care Alert's call buttons are offered in three styles: pendant, wrist, or clip-on. The pendant has a break-away clasp to prevent choking while you are sleeping.

Mobile Ability

Medical Care Alert's new product, Home & Away Elite, allows customers to travel anywhere with nationwide coverage through AT&T. It can be equipped with automatic fall detection and is highly water resistant.

The system is also easy to install yourself. The Home Medical Care Alert Base Station is so sophisticated that Safety Agents can communicate with you throughout your home without yelling. It has a very sensitive microphone and speaker that allows you to hear the Agent/Representative from most, if not all, parts of your home.

Medical Care Alert's mobile product Home & Away Elite gives consumers the greater mobility to fit people with more active lifestyles.

The Bad

Warranty Limitations

Medical Care Alert expects customers wanting to return the system to do a live trial run of the system to test it. This includes hooking the system up and testing it with their Emergency Response Center. In the case that you decide to return the system and equipment without testing it to see if it works, you will be charged a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

Medical Care Alert has made its mark in the personal emergency response industry with its 24/7/365 emergency support, easy-to-use products offering a full range of free benefits, and a relatively affordable subscription service. The company's monitoring service is available around the clock and even on holidays, providing much-needed accessibility to seniors and their families. There are four different system options that come with many extra features at an affordable price to meet the needs of different people. There's no long-term contract, activation fees, or installation costs which makes it very simple to begin service.

David Barr
March 12th, 2018 Rowlett, TX DETAILS

Scam Alert. Returned equipment as instructed, expecting pro-rated return of prepaid 6-month fee. After reasonable time called and told equipment “looked like had been ripped from wall” and had charged my account additional $182. They provided random pictures that did not show any identification as being equipment I returned. They refused to admit there could be mixup or incurred at their shop. They claimed shipping box not damaged, but did not include that picture. I personally removed from my 96 year old mother’s apartment and shipper attested to fact no damage when returned. Just a scam to collect $300. Do not trust!

Lorraine Cherashore
February 13th, 2018 Elkins Park, PA DETAILS

Debbie E, the marvelous Medical Alert Specialist guided me on the phone , step by step , teaching me the set up of my Medical Alert System. I am a retired teacher but needed lots of tutoring to set up my GPS fabulous Medical Alert!! She listened patiently, carefully explained entire procedure and made sure I understood before she hung up.. She called me periodically to check if everything going smoothly. She was my Medical Alert Teacher teaching me.!! No one should ever feel uncomfortable not understanding set up. Debbie always there by your side!! I feel soooo safe driving, volunteering in schools, and staying alone at night with my Magical Medical Alert which is my buddy by my bedside!! I have raved to all my friends how awesome Medical Alert is to have!! Its priceless!! How can you put a dollar sign on saving your life??? As active as I am, my kids know I am in good hands with Medical Alert!! Even spoke with owner ! He was sooo caring and attentive when I praised Debbie E on the phone! Soooo everybody dial Medical Alert and it will erase all of your anxiety of not being heard! To Life!! To Medical Alert!! Lorraine C. ??

Russell Resweber
November 6th, 2017 Richmond, TX

The representative was very professional and knowledgeable, dealing with her was a pleasure.

Mike Harrington
October 31st, 2017 Wixom, MI DETAILS

I got it a couple of years ago and use it. It's been quite satisfactory. I thought the price was quite reasonable. There is a modular that works with the phone system. I wear a monitor so that if I have a problem, I can punch a button and get a reply. It is on a landline phone. I don't have covering when I am out of the area. I think they have done quite well. The price was one of the reason's I choose them. If I should run into a problem where I am semi incapacitated. I push a button, and it transmits an alarm message to the company over my phone system. They will call back, through the monitor I wear. I would hear on the monitor and be able to converse with them. So far I have only used it as a test or accidentally pressed the alert. They were quick on the line back, and I was able to apologize and tell them accidentally triggered the alert. That gave me a feeling of confidence when I accidentally pressed it.

Elvie Tice
October 11th, 2017

We are so happy with the service. The product is great. The service is very helpful

Dee Lenox
October 17th, 2017

I do love the security of having a med alert, however I find yours hard to wear. The strap irritates my neck (wish it was made of cotton) and it falls out of the wrist holder if barely knocked against something. So, do I wear it like it was meant to wear? No, I don't........

John Wiswall for Valena Stoner
October 10th, 2017 Hackettstown, NJ

We have my 97 year old Mother-in-Law wearing the Medical Care Alert Necklace & & it has been terrific in Notifying us of problems. The company is really on top of their game in contacting my Mother-in-law with dialog & at the same time contacting me of the situation. Great service !!! Highly recommend this group. J. Wiswall Rockaway, NJ

Sally Boyson
September 11th, 2017 Denver, CO

I liked this company's website for all the information it gave. The service offered the essentials of what AARP's article said I should get. I first got a pendant that did not work after I took a shower in it, but then it did when it dried out. I tried this 3 times, as you are supposed to be able to shower in it. Customer service passed me to a technical person and the overnighted a new one out to me. This one is fine. They even fine-tuned it for me, turning the lights off (it came flashing the battery and cellphone light every minute or so--this can be extended to 15 min or turned off). When it turned out I had bad AT&T service (all of these companies use AT&T) in and out of my house, they helped me. The poor signal was shortening my battery life, although wherever I tested it in the house, it worked. I researched it and found out there was an AT&T "microcell" that would take care of my problem. They helped me get it programmed, well above and beyond what they had to do. I am very satisfied with the support they gave me. They care about each customer.

Chip Stacey
August 9th, 2017

It went pretty good, I guess. It is ongoing because my dad is 92. Yesterday was a false alarm but they contacted me, I get a text message stating what occurred. I am able to call back to see if they were able to reach my father. We've been using them for over a year now and they've been very helpful. I thought the price was very good for the whole year. They come right away. It's beneficial because he needs something inside and outside the home. If we move across the country, it follows us nationwide. If we had to tell them that we moved, they will update it accordingly.

Grant. Dorsey
August 4th, 2017 Santa Clara, CA

Very good service Shannon was great, speaking with and helping me with everything. She should be promoted, she is very nice!!!

D. Wilkins Niece
July 12th, 2017 Freehold, NJ

BEWARE of charges after you return the system! I ordered the system for my 84 year old aunt. We had it for just about a year with no issues. We recently canceled the services because my aunt moved into a place that had their own system. I called and canceled and returned all the equipment in one box directly from the USPS. I just noticed a charge of $49.95 on my aunts credit card from them. When I called to find out what the charge was about. I was told I didn't returned all items which is so untrue. I have a receipt to prove my return but they are claimimg items were missing when they were not. They refused to credit my account even after I told them I had a receipt they didn't seem to care. This leads me to believe that they may just charge you and hope you don't pick up on it. I paid $600.00 for the year of service and they refuse to credit my card for items I returned, . Horrible way to end a business transaction. The only reason I gave it a 1 was because the woman Gail I ordered from was a pleasure to deal with when I first ordered it. Horrible business pratice.BEWARE

Shirley Auclair
June 28th, 2017

They debited my acct immediately but returned same day because it wouldn't work in, My father-in-law house and five weeks later no credit back to my credit card! Called but never got. Ack with answer!

Patrick Crawford
June 27th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

It's been an excellent customer service! My mother is getting dementia, and we just wanted something to take care of here while at home. Medical Care Alert gives us the confidence that we can have somebody there very quickly. Besides, she thinks it's easy to use.

Glenn Leonard
June 27th, 2017 Port Aransas, TX

I can't find any fault with their equipment. Everything is just like they've said it would be. Plus, their customer service is excellent.

Roy Hart
June 27th, 2017 Hessel, MI

The system is excellent. It's worked every time my mother has fallen so far. There was an incident where she couldn't remember what happened, but when I called the customer service like, they were very helpful! They have me the exact times of when the call was made, and all the call backs that they made, so the system really worked for us.

Beverley Manifold
June 27th, 2017 Raleigh, NC

My husband has advanced Parkinson's disease, and after a lot of falls, we purchased one the fall detection service. Their customer service is excellent, but we're having trouble with the pendant. Charging the system can be a problem. We leave it charging all night, and it's not ready to use the next day. Another issue is that it doesn't catch all the falls. My husband had a very bad fall a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't catch it at all. There have been other times where the system detects a fall, but everything is okay, so we're thinking of looking into other companies.

Rene Smith
June 27th, 2017 New Braunfels, TX

My mother has not used it yet, and she's satisfied with the service. If she falls in the garden, we'd be able to locate her. There is a problem however. She's so fragile, that it's hard for her to put on the wristband and attach it. I would think on re-doing the wristband.

Kathy Mellnick
June 27th, 2017 Denver, CO

It's been an excellent service. My mom was falling a lot, so we got her The Pendant, and it's been awesome! Plus, their customer service is great.

Richard Gray
June 27th, 2017 Bellingham, WA

Their representatives have been good! They've been helpful, and answered all our questions. Plus, it was good and easy to get the system up and working, it works properly. I'm just happy with the services. It seems to be working fine for my folks.

Eric Schatz
June 27th, 2017 Marquette, MI

Although the customer service is good, and the equipment is alright, I think it takes longer than it should to connect to a real person. I'm disappointed with that. If I continue to have this problem, we'll probably be looking into another service.

Helen Berdinka
June 27th, 2017 Millville, DE

We can't be with my elderly mother, so we purchased the Pendant for her, as well as the box in the house that's hooked up to her Wi-Fi. The equipment is good, and the representatives are fine as well.

Joan Mcdonald
June 27th, 2017 Henderson, KY

As widow living alone, I figured I should have this, in case something went wrong. I've been very satisfied with the customer service team, and the overall experience has been very good. If I have a problem with it, they always take care of it on time.

CB
June 27th, 2017 League City, TX

My mother is in another state without a caregiver, so that's why we purchased this service for her. We've been perfectly happy with their customer service, and the equipment itself has been satisfactory. Our experience with them has been alright.

Suzanne Adorian
June 27th, 2017 Fuquay Varina, NC

It's been an excellent customer service! I don't know the name of the system, but it's the one you wear around the neck; we've been satisfied with it. My mother is over 90 years old, so the main reason we purchased it was because of her age.

Mary Ullrich
June 27th, 2017 Louisville, KY

My family decided to purchase it for me after a couple of falls I had. Their customer service is fine, and the equipment itself is good as well.

Kitty Shumlin
June 27th, 2017 Putney, VT

I live alone and have some walking problems, so I needed a way to alert somebody in case something happened. So far, it's worked just fine. I haven't had any issue with Medical Care Alert. It's there, and I hope I never have to use it.

John Mueller
June 27th, 2017 Blue Bell, PA

We're happy with the necklace he wears; it works fine. Plus, their customer service has been great! Every time I've had contact with them to report a problem, they call us right away! The experience has been great. We love them. We're just very happy with the service.

Mary Mcdermott
June 27th, 2017 Maple Mount, KY

As a person with Parkinson's disease, Medical Care Alert has given me a sense of security in areas where I know it's a bit dangerous for me. It was very easy to get the device, and they were very clear in explaining it to me. I'd say I'm fairly impressed with it, and glad that I have it.

Norma Evans
June 27th, 2017 Sebring, FL

My overall experience with them has been excellent. It gave me access to going outside and going around my neighborhood. The various times that I've spoken to them, they've been on top of every question I had. I've also had my equipment replaced, and everything went smoothly. On top of that, their customer service is great. That just makes me stay with Medical Care Alert.

June 27th, 2017 Kent, OH

After my husband died, my son was looking into different services like this one, mostly because I'm older and live alone now. I like it very much. During the winter, I go down to Florida. We're able to just take it with us, and continue using it wherever I am! I think a lot of them don't have that privilege. On top of that, their customer service agents are always cooperative. They're always there, and it's comforting to know that there's somebody there for you in case something happens, because neither of my children live locally.

Jon Healy
June 27th, 2017 Palmetto, FL

My wife is handicap, and the system is very easy for her to use. We just like using it; it's worked fine for us. Plus, their customer service is very good.

Dave McManamen
June 27th, 2017 Billings, MT

We got this service because my wife has medical problems, so this is something she can use to get a hold of somebody. Their customer service is pretty good; they've done a good job. I don't know what's the name of the system we purchased, but it's the one that has the button, and it works just fine!

B.J.
June 27th, 2017 Canton, MI

I did a search online for alert systems and it came up. We like it fine, it's very convenient. We got it because my mom's elderly. They're very good with customer service and overall. They've been very responsive whenever we needed anything; its been very good.

Kathy
June 27th, 2017 Seabrook, TX

I'm at home alone all day and I tend to fall because of my medical condition. We don't have a home phone; we only have cell phones, and there were only two or three companies that worked with that. We researched those three, and of the three, the reviews and the cost made us choose Medical Alert. The customer service is mixed. When I've pushed the button, I've gotten a very good response; help has come, but I've also had false alarms when I have been using my walker. When it works, it works well. When it has false alarms, it's not working well.

June 27th, 2017 Stillwater, OK

I went and did a search on the internet to find out about it. I thought I needed it for when I travel and also when I'm home, because I live alone. The customer service is good, though the device itself is not as good as I thought it would be, and it's pretty bulky. I live where there's not really good reception, so if I pushed the button while in the house the signal would need to go through a window, but if I fell over and couldn't move I couldn't very well get to a window. It's good overall, though.

Veronica Ostapak
June 27th, 2017 Maspeth, NY

I heard about Medical Care Alert from neighbors. I decided to get it because I'm 84 years old. Their customer service is calming; it makes you feel little safer that you have somebody to call. They're very conscientious, they were there at the drop of a hat if something happened, to see whether it's an accident that you push the button. They're very, very responsive. It makes me feel more calm that I have somebody that I can call in case of an accident.

Mike Rodgers
June 27th, 2017 Grove City, PA

I have the around-the-neck push-button, panic-button system, and it worked just fine. I was very happy. I have had a couple of falls, so my daughter subscribed to it for me. Their customer service is a top service, it's very good. I think we all are very pleased with the service. I like the fact it was personal and that the people were very helpful when I needed them.

RCH
June 27th, 2017 Albany, GA

I'm pleased with it. I have the one that allows them to be aware when I fall. I got it because I live alone. Regarding their customer service, I'd say I'm very satisfied. Overall, it's excellent.

Freida Waldron
June 27th, 2017 Baldwinsville, NY

I first heard about Medical Care Alert from a flier that I saw in the newspaper. My mother wears a bracelet and when she needs it she pushes the button and then they come. She lives alone and has fallen down in the past, and we wanted to make sure that she could get some help when she needs it. Customer service works very well; we've only needed it once, and that wasn't easy, because she fell while I had unplugged the machine while cleaning, and unfortunately I unplugged the telephone too, so I couldn't hear them call when they called to check on us, but it works fine. It's been very good so far overall.

Barb Hartzler
June 27th, 2017 Harrisonburg, VA

My Dad died a couple of years ago and my Mom can't see very well, and we just wanted something extra. She was having some problems and issues, and we wanted to make sure in the event of some kind of emergency she would have a way of getting ahold of us if she fell or something. I got it after I looked it up online. It's a pendant she wears around her neck. We're extremely satisfied with the customer service. It's done very well. When sometimes she's set it off accidentally, the people that call, or the people that answered the alarm have been very, very helpful and very kind, and we've had a very good overall experience.