While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20 Mbps — $45 per month
  • 40–80 Mbps — $55 per month
  • 100–140 Mbps — $65 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $65 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.7

Spencer Hodgson

July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink 's customer service is not very good. Whenever I called in I was talking to someone that didn't speak English very well and that was frustrating.

Justin Vance

July 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

We had our internet with them for years but as soon as I wanted to drop my phone service they said they were not able to provide just internet. Because I thought that was ridiculous, I said adios!

Cody Linden

July 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT

A decent provider. I felt that they could offer more clear customer service and purchasing options, but overall you get what you pay for.

Calista Huber

July 17th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

We have no major complaints about CenturyLink! We've had a couple issues in three and a half years but the team has always been responsive and fixed the problem quickly. I think once our router just needed to be replaced and once there was an issue with something outside that they fixed. We get a really good deal on our internet and love the lifetime price option! We don't have the fastest speed and are able to do our basic internet searches, school work, graphic design, photo editing, and video streaming without any problem. As far as customer service goes, can't complain. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's slower and harder to understand people. Yesterday I saw a CenturyLink truck and even before I saw the name, I knew it was CenturyLink just from seeing the green logo. I thought that was awesome branding.

Ciara Fields

July 16th, 2018 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible experience. I started my internet service with them and 2 months later it still did not work, even though I was being charged. I talked to roughly 8 techs on their chat online feature and none of them could configure the modem for it to work. One told me that it may be a faulty modem, so I replaced it and had the same problem. I finally called centurylink to schedule a tech to come out. The tech never showed up. I took the modem into the store to cancel and the lady in the store was extremely grumpy and acted as though it was my fault. I went across the street to xfinity and it was a completely different atmosphere. Extremely friendly staff that was knowledgeable and would do anything they could to help.

Chris Alonzo

July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

The service is great the customer service reps are very helpful and are always looking out for you to get the best service for your money. I have had Centurylink service for six years and absolutely love it. The technicians are very knowledgeable and are trained to help you with any service disruption. One thing that I wish they were better at was the availablilty to schedule appointments when needed it seems they are always weeks out when you needs them to come to your home.

Alicia Holman

July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I switched over from a cable provider and was very disappointed. The sales people were a third party that over stated what was offered and once I became a customer, the third party was no where to be found. The internet was definitely slower, so I ended up switching back.

Jess Root

July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Got 80 megs locked into a good price for life. Cheaper than other options and no contract. I haven't had issues with the service. Customer service is tough. Every phone call takes an hour.

king

July 9th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ive had them for 5 plus yrs. ive locked in my plan for the next 3yrs so far so good. customer service could use some help

Ronda Hills

July 9th, 2018

Internet is slow and unreliable. When logging into my CenturyLink account the website is often down or with limited access. Customer service is less than ideal, limited knowledge and limited ability to resolve situations.

Rhonda stewart

July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Good connection, good value for price.

Jim Stewart

July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Great service, fast and reliable even in storms.

Lisa steinepreis

July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Good prices, but mediocre service. Definitely not Cox, but way better price point

Monai West

July 5th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Have used this service for years. Easy to set up and use.

Estefi Arreola Leyva

June 29th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

CenturyLink provides good internet service for me and my family. We have some problems but that okay, we usually don't have problems. Century link can be expensive but it's a good internet service program.

Tami Allen

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We had Century Link internet service for years in our last house. They were very reliable, and gave us a big enough modem that it covered everyone in our house, which was awesome because it had a basement that even had great wifi coverage. They were reasonably priced, and a good value for the money. Our internet was good speed, reliable, and we never had a problem with customer service. We were sad when we moved to an area that didn't have Century Link and had to switch.

Lionel Salazar

June 25th, 2018 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Poor no training they don't know what they're doing need more training so they can know their parts and products how to take care of customers better.

Tysen Rohner

June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Wifi is good but the range could be better

Joshua Cordero

June 19th, 2018 Gettysburg, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What a very unreliable company I wish there was another provider in our area I would never use them they never show up when scheduled to an they put bogus charges on ur account hoping you don't catch it an when they do show they don't complete work or even make contact with the home owner they just assume it's good an leave it's been a struggle to get service I was scheduled for 3 app that they never even show I can't tell you enuoph how bad my experience has been with this company what a joke good luck if your choosing this company to provide you internet

Norma

June 18th, 2018 Loveland, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

it is quite fast and all but it keeps raising the price

June 18th, 2018 Clovis, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's a good company with reasonable prices.

Deborah Good

June 18th, 2018 Hickory, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wednesday evening, my phone service with Century Link has not been working... First I was told it was an outage, a defective cable....that was Thursday morning, I called later in the morning and was told, no you need a tech to come out.....ok waiting for that to happen, called for update later in the day and then was told no you do not need a tech, you are part of the outage and took the tech off. Kept advising when the cable would be fixed. Sunday evening called for update and all issues are resolved.....guess what my phone is still not working....I have had this escalated and was promised they would have a tech out this morning (Monday) and I would be fixed by 12pm, so far no tech....on phone now waiting to see what is going on. This is a Sorry Company....Your people lie.

Melanie Bonnet

June 15th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

While waiting for my two year contract to be finished, I moved to an area with free Internet. Yeah Google! I had to change my address for billing purposes which I later found out restarted my two year contract. When I called they said they put a note on my account and that I could call on my original two years was up and they would be no cancellation charge. I think they told me this is just so I'd stop bothering them. I called when my original contract was up and canceled. I confirmed there would be no charge. I week later I got an email with a $170 cancellation bill. I called again and surprise there are no notes and nothing they could do. When I changed my address my two year contract started over . I didn't sign anything agreeing to this I'm not sure how they get away with this. I was a customer for over eight years. When I moved again I would've signed up with them but not now.

Marques Montanio

June 14th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst i internet out there always disconnecting its disconnected over 70 times today thats 1 day 6-14-2018 so imagine a month if i had a choice between centurylink and no internet it would be better to have no internet how are u supposed to enjoy a movie on netflix when a 1hr43min movie it disconnecting 4 times unbelievable if i could rate them a negative 5 star ow i would save ur $ worst investment ever i will be switching plz steer clear avoid centurylink there speeds are a lie and when it does work ur cut off at the worst possible time thx for nothing Centurylink!!!!!!

Tom

June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Century Link is a good provider, but only if you are in the right areas.

CAROLE SCOVILLE

June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service and product from Sentry links are pretty good, except where I live the speed is so slow and century link is my only option except for satellite Internet which costs a fortune

Sadie Scoville

June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Century link customer service is great, but I cannot get higher speeds were in live, which is a bummer. I’m just holding out for either Comcast In my area or century link to upgrade their lines

Ian

June 8th, 2018 Cutler, OH

Worst company I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with, had to call 5 times to get my account set up correctly. Installation tech didn’t know where his area coverage was. Try to cancel my account and they basically refused and put me on hold for 20 mins. All customer service reps are of different nationality and can’t be understood. Very unprofessional,

Bill Cline

June 8th, 2018 Salem, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service is frequently interrupted or non existent

Craig P

June 8th, 2018 Belgrade, MT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cheap and fast. Wait time for service is a little long and you get charged extra for it.

Jeff A Wielt

June 8th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

programming issues they are quickly resolved but they are still issues

Vicki Bell

June 8th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They gave me the best for my situation and found what I needed when offering there service to me.

jessica brady

June 8th, 2018 Glendale, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Speed is great and even with 4 or 5 devices on the internet we have no issues

Keri

June 8th, 2018 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They don 't bill monthly like they say. I get two bills in one month sometime. I never know whe the bill will come. So I cancelled auto pay.

A Craw

June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service. Poor internet coverage.

Joanna Hester

June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had Century Link for years. Service was reliable, customer service was great, but the internet speed wasn't fast enough for what we needed.

June 4th, 2018 Columbia, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I honestly have had a terrible experience with CenturyLink. I originally got charged for having someone install my router when they never did (they took a long phone call to get the charge taken off my bill). My WiFi has been very spotty. For about a month, the DSLlight on the router would keep turning red. Every time it did that I had to call CenturyLink and the phone calls would last a minimum of 30 minutes. Recently I tired to get my service switched to a new address and then once my contract was up I was going to cancel my service. I went online to do it because the voice message said it would be easy to do online. It wasn’t. I ended up having to chat with an agent online. Right from the beginning I told him what I was needing help with. 45 minutes later he said a qualified for a new package deal and when I turned it down and restated what I needed help with he told me I would need to call a certain number M-F during business hours. Why he didn’t tell me that right when I told him what I needed help with, I will never know. This company and the service is terrible. I highly recommend not using centurylink. They are extra stress that you don’t need.

Christine Paluba

June 4th, 2018 Henderson, NV

I cancelled my other service provider and, despite hearing negative reviews about Centurylink service, I decided to give them a try. I was disappointed that it would take 10 days to get a technician to install service, but again, I wanted to give them an opportunity. When they show up 35 minutes BEFORE their 4 hour window, without notifying me beforehand and without calling to say they’re there; THEN telling me that the next time a technician can install is 10 more days out.... that’s poor communication and customer service. I left work early, and it took an hour and 5 minutes for me to get home. I arrived at 12:59pm, saw the door tag that they came early, and immediately called customer service. I called Cox, and they’ll be here in 3 days.

David Stickley

May 25th, 2018 Laramie, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Up load speed should be faster and more relibale.

James Voyles

May 25th, 2018 Boise, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Virtually zero down time, and never insufficient speed for our needs. HOWEVER, they just increased our bill due to the lapse of a 3-year "deal". Very unhappy with that!!!!!

Heidi Mason

May 25th, 2018 Bountiful, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink has been reliable, need very little down time and the buffering is minimal and not intrusive.

Kenneth Garwood

May 25th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are consistant (no drops) but speed is very low and hard at time to run a YouTube type video.

Thomas

May 25th, 2018 Aurora, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always connected and never a problem in the past 14+ years...

May 25th, 2018 Westminster, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CL handled long distance until Verizon took over. There was no announcement when Verizon took over. Would like to be apprised of such info.

Stacy Kay

May 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Internet is slow compared to other companies. Customer service isn't great. While the price is good, what you get for the price is not.

Virginia

May 7th, 2018 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were willing to give a lower price when noone else would.

John J Dimacchia

May 7th, 2018 Amherst, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Receive too much spam. Problems opening e-mails.

Marisa Tesch

May 2nd, 2018 Auburn, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Can't get bill correct; continuously have to call

SteveR

May 2nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their "high speed" internet drops to 0.05Mbps at peak times. Complaints are met with blank denials and excuses. Avoid this company if you possibley can. Even letters to their CEO generate complete inaction.

Doom Truong

May 1st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My parents have CenturyLink and the speeds are sufficient for their needs. However I would like DSL to be a little faster if they are wanting to keep up with fiber optics. They do have a rate guarantee so thats nice.