While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20 Mbps — $45 per month
  • 40–80 Mbps — $55 per month
  • 100–140 Mbps — $65 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $65 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.7

Alejandra Rasmussen

November 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I made an order and they scheduled me for Friday from 9 AM to 1 PM and I waited all day and nobody showed up. I finally called them and they told me that I wasn’t even assigned to a technician and that my account was on hold. They have the worst communication, someone should have called me to let me know that nobody would be coming today.

Larissa Palmucci

November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had this WiFi for a while and it was really bad in our area. It was really slow but may work in other areas.

Rischelle Mikkelson

November 12th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Centurylink was mediocre when we had it. They simply don’t have the speed we need for our business and family usage. Also, the internet would slow down significantly each night when we needed it most for homework. However, when I call to cancel, their customer service was great. They didn’t make me feel guilty or pressure me into staying. I think they understood that their speeds were slow. I know they have made efforts to improve their speed, but they still seem to be two steps beind the competition.

Phil

November 7th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink service is fine. Customer service is the worst. I have received so much bad information from CHAT and phone calls I don't have time to record it all!

Rachel B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got locked into a huge contract and they didn’t tell me the conditions clearly. Would not recommend.

Mitch Krull

November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used to have these guys. Good customer service and good quality product. Good value.

ben

November 5th, 2018 Iowa City, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Internet service is affordable and is without data caps. I wish that CenturyLink would invest more in infrastructure. The maximum speed for my neighborhood has not changed in more than a decade.

Alvin Jiji

November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internet connection provided by CenturyLink is mediocre, however the service is not very dependable and sometimes very slow. The internet will go on and off, on and off, and so on.

Linda Jenkins

November 2nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thry are pretty good however it isn't fast enough

Tom Rufenacht

November 2nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internt service is poor at Best. The rates you pay are to much for the value they provide.

Antonio Sanchez

November 2nd, 2018 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Centurylink changed my payment dates and owes services to me and bullying my wife into changing service plans for service that barely works a quarter of the time....

Suzeth Lozania

October 31st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CENTURYLINK IS THE WORST! If I could rate it a negative I would. I had this service for almost 2 years, because I had a 1 year contract. I moved a lot because of college. For the months I lived in St.George the service was great, no complaint. Then I moved to my first location in Salt Lake and the Internet would work on and off, when I called they just told me to restart it and it would work, and yes it did work for a little bit, but then it would go back to doing the same thing. I’m not much of a complainer and at least I had WiFi so I didn’t say much. Then I moved to my current location in February, they installed it NEVER worked. I literally called once a week and NO ONE could ever help me with anything! I work a lot so when the office was open It was hard for me to keep calling but when I could they would do NOTHING! A few months passed and I called again because this was getting ridiculous I was paying for nothing! They said that there was no service in my area for a month so they returned me that month’s money and said it should work after that and of course it didn’t! I told them to send a tech out to check what was going on and they said they did, but no one answered the door even though I was home waiting for them. Tech support finally repeated my address to me and it was wrong and I gave them the correct one, they said they couldn’t make changes, but they transferred me to another department (because that’s what CenturyLink is best at TRANSFERRING). So I talked to the other department gave them my address and they had my CORRECT address on file and they said they didn’t know why they were telling me it was wrong, so I let it be! More months went by and I was sick of paying for no service and wasting my time calling them so I cancelled my service and asked them for a refund for all those months paying for no service. They said I would get a credit of $392.19 in my ACCOUNT! So I was happy. 3 weeks have passed and I still don’t have my refund, so I called AGAIN today. They transferred me everywhere like usual and obviously they would NEVER let me speak to a supervisor. At last this lady told me that there was a check mailed out with that amount. I told her I haven’t received anything and she read back the address which was the same one tech support was giving me (I looked up that address and it doesn’t even exist). So I told her that was wrong, but I didn’t understand why my bills would get here to MY address, but what actually mattered (my check) didn’t. I also mentioned that they told me that money would go back into my bank account because I had autopay. All she said was I DON’T KNOW with an attitude! I’ve never had a worst experience, service and customer service they are HORRIBLE! I don’t even think I’ll get my money back for all those months and I know it was stupid of me for letting it go for so long, but honestly for all the bad experiences I think I should get back more than that credit! I sincerely do not recommend CenturyLink and I hope this doesn’t happen to anyone else! They really don’t know what they’re doing, every department will give you a different answer, but no one will communicate a client complaint.

ally blackhurst

October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had Century Link for a few years now and overall I’m pretty happy with it. Sometimes the wifi is awesome but other times the service struggles. For the majority of the time though it works great and it reaches my house when a lot of other providers didn’t.

Melanie Curtis

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It has been hit and miss with my service. The biggest disappointment is that the actual internet speed I get at my home is many times not what I am paying for.

Amy Leifi

October 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Speed was slow, customer service was slow, the only thing easy about using them was paying online so I didn't have to interact with their customer service.

cami harward

October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

century link has terrible customer service. Everytime I called I got a different answer and no help at all.

Deborah Hyde

October 29th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century link has provided us with internet service for a few years and I have been pleased with the results. The internet speed is fast and the service is great. Installation wasn't as fast as I would have liked it to be.

Kaylin

October 26th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Doesn’t even deserve a star, I shouldn’t have ever allowed them to set up my internet in the first place. It started by then never showing up for the set up, I was passed around on the phone trying to figure out when they’d begin my service since I had already paid for it, after being without internet for over a week they did come and set it up but if I have more than 2 devices on the WiFi it drags, and forget streaming there’s absolutely no quality there. My new issue is that my WiFi doesn’t work and the part of customer service that can fix my problem is closed, very inconvient for me since I’m an online student with a quiz due at midnight. I will be dropping century link this weekend and switching to cox communications. Don’t use century link, it’s a joke of a service.

Josiah

October 25th, 2018 Greeneville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could leave a negative five stars I would. I had to call in every other week for internet trouble after a few months I cancelled my service. They couldn't wave the $200 early termination fee due to the fact they only had one call on record of me calling in about problems with internet. Worst company ever!!!WITH THE WORST SERVICE EVERE!!!!

Brian Joseph Duncan

October 24th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a customer of CenturyLink for 3 years now. I have tried to change but other companies prices are too high. However, CenturyLink recently raised my bill after promising me that my prices would not change a year ago. They said they didn't have that program and I had to join their new program. I was very dissapointed in them. I am still looking at other companies to change too. On top of that, their service is spotty because their hubs are overloaded in my area.

Kacie

October 22nd, 2018 Lansing, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century link told me I would get 50 mbps internet but I received 3mbps instead. Then the lady lost my information. Called back and they ended up leaving 2 credit check marks on my fiances credit report. Then we had to wait 3 weeks before service was able to be installed. Come time the date, a person showed up to install TV but I was told the TV would be ground wired but direct TV is dish only! Get out! Then they said they had no plans of fixing our internet because it was already supposed to be running which is not what we talked about on the phone! After being on the phone with 7 people for over 8 hours total we were able to CANCEL. I am writing corporate and I will be leaving horrible reviews everywhere!! Scammers!!!!

Steve schramm

October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Extremely slow internet service. Very unreliable. Customer service leaves much to be desired.

Marci Schramm

October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Slow. Undependable. I have to keep rebooting the router. It was the only provider in my neighborhood so I had no choice.

Heather

October 15th, 2018 Vernal, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have stayed with century link through the years because of the unbeatable price, but it’s defibitely not the best internet service out there. You get what you pay for. Customer service is not very convenient are helpful.

Dylan Curtis

October 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The speeds are pretty good, but the thing we like most about it is that the price stays the same.

Michelle S.

October 9th, 2018 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Since I moved to Albuquerque, I put up with service speeds nowhere near promised, frequent outages, and poor overall service. What took the cake was when I moved, ordered a transfer, and went through the following nightmare: 1 week before I move: I want to transfer service on October 5... service on at my current address until then, service transferred to the new location on that date. Centurylink: No problem! That evening: Service disconnected. Next day -- have to call twice to get someone to agree to switch service back on... and it will go back on at 5:30. I was disconnected through THEIR error and have to wait an entire day for them to restore the service.... omg. But at least I have been reassured that the technician will be at my new place on the date I actually specified, between 9 am and 1 pm (yeah, sit around and wait, got it), to get the phone line up and running. The date specified: No technician. I give an extra couple of hours in case he's running late, then call. Oh, that's weird, the order is open, for the time specified, but no tech was assigned. Can I hold? I don't have unlimited data on my phone.. and still invested two calls of 33 and 35 minutes each and still no answer to why they can't locate the address I'm living at now nor why no tech was assigned... with the people I was talking to wanting me to stay on hold for so much longer and burning away my minutes on my cell; I disconnect after that long waiting because I just can't afford the calls, after being reassured that if they have a disconnect happen while I'm on hold, they can call me back as a dropped line. They have my call back number, no call-backs happen. So today, same address, also hard to find but guess what? I'm now online, courtesy of XFinity.... and my speed is good and steady, the techs were prompt and supportive... better service and speeds at 60 mbps (as opposed to what was I told for this address? a 1.7 mbps? Did I hear that right? ONE POINT SEVEN? CENTURYLINK, ARE YOU CRAZY?) for half the price. Thank you XFinity for 60 mbps... this is HEAVEN. Centurylink? Stuff it. Oh, and when you figure out where I am (like XFinity did in no time flat), you can come get your friggin' modem because I'm homebound with nursing home level of care and my willingness to run around and do things for you, or take valuable time away from my caregiving services to have a caregiver do things for you? Nonexistent. And I expect my bill credited for the days of no service, for about $7.00 of cell phone time you burned doing zero for me, and an apology for two years of subpar service and the incompetence of your staff when it comes to supporting customers... whether needing something repaired or when moving.

Sandra Bryant

September 24th, 2018 Olive Branch, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had CenturyLink, formerly known as CenturyTel, for a very long time. Never had any problems whatsoever until they became CenturyLink. Service became unreliable and when a service call was needed it was at least a 2 week wait. Now that I have closed my account, I can't get my refund check due to being told something different each time I call. Thank goodness they don't service the area I am in now!

Amber

September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We've had Century Link for 10 years now. They are a pretty good internet service company. they are really good about coming out to help when something goes wrong. We end up calling them about once a year to keep our rates down.

Van luong

September 19th, 2018 Spokane, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have quest as now century link since 2001. As September 2018 I'm not coming back to them. Reasons is the company have a lot hidden fees. Get to read the fine prints. My bill went up twice amount s without notice. Very bad . Long wait on the phone comstomer service. They suppose refund my money but the no body leave any notes on the computer now they Robb me lol. Good bye centreylink and now join xinfinty.

PolyanaL

September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have centurylink and I will be changing provider very soon. I pay $71 monthly and its very slow. We have to reset it most of the time or it will roam and roam. Other family members have xfinity and they pay about $30 and when I go to their house their wifi has no problem... I dont have xfinity in my area so I am pretty sad.

Sciena bramwell

September 14th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They tried to change the original we agreed to have for multiple years after only a year. When we called to ask them what was going on they said that that wasn’t true even after we had all of the documentation to prove it. Their customer service is a nightmare. We also had a century link line on our lot that was getting in the way of our house construction and they wouldn’t move it more than a few feet. They said it would cost over a million dollars to get a new pole so they could move it up higher. We went to the city and they said this was not true. We now have to go through the city to have them move it. They are terrible!

Sean P Fitzgerald

September 6th, 2018 Apopka, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience with CL was bad from beginning to end. Was told they had 25 bps available and only 10 was. Started off with a price that more than doubled after 6 months with no warning. I travel and had on autopay so didn't catch it. Called and miraculously qualify for lower rate. Then tried to transfer service to new house, wife stayed home from work for entire day. Technician never showed, called in and tech reported he had knocked on door and nobody home and left a door knocker. Both absolute lies. Then tried to cancel service (No contract) I was transferred 4 times and spent 53 minutes on phone after repeatedly stating I did not want to hear any offers I was ignored and offered some deal to maintain service by each of the parties I spoke with before I was able to finally get it closed out. Absolutely nothing positive about my experience in any way. Slow speed only, offered 3 times in 2 years faster service that did not exist. If their was less than 1/2 star that's what was deserved..............

David R Snyder

September 4th, 2018 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was given a promotional price for internet alone for 69.00. However after the year, I was not notified that the promotional period was ending and my bill jumped to 115.00. After working with a Century Link advisor, I was told that they would not reduce the bill and that I had to pay it. I am very unhappy with this experience.

Shanna

August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

We used to have Century Link as our internet service provider. It was a little slow in our area but the product seemed to work just fine. I would have transferred them to our new house but they don't offer service there.

Melissa Reinoso

August 30th, 2018 Herriman, UT

They kept calling and sending us past due bills stating that they never received the device back even though we sent a copy of the receipt that it was dropped off to them.

Derek Scoville

August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Century Link is the only hardline internet provider in my area. I am the last house on the line, and so my service is poor. It is slow, wifi is weak, and I have just had to learn to deal with it. But, I feel like I am paying for a service that I am not getting.

Lisa

August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

I have had Centurylink DSL services for many years. They have reliable service and fast speeds. I would highly recommend this service.

Tualagi

August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

great service. fast internet. good customer service. price is decent for our area.

tini mapu

August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

We have CenturyLink they have been great for us. Great customer service and our interest service is speedy. We have only had it go off due to a storm. They are also available on the phone anytime.

Haley Houtz

August 20th, 2018 Herriman, UT

CenturyLink internet is the best! The service is great and the price is fair!

Logan McFarland

August 13th, 2018 Hamburg, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever had, I ordered internet and the tech never showed up on the scheduled date, I called the same day and the closest available date was 2 months from that day. I then called a month after getting service as I was moving to schedule my service address change. I checked at the least 5 times that I would have internet at the new house, I would be paying the same price for speeds of up to 6mbps, when my old house was getting 80mbps, and the new house is a 5 minute drive. I called to put in a transfer and they told me it was all set to be processed. I call back a week later as I had heard nothing and turns out they canceled the request because for some reason they are now saying internet isn't available at the address. Centurylink will NEVER contact you about any issues or problems that arise with your account they will wait for you to call them and then tell you they can't do something.

Noah Eldredge

August 6th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I Called to cancel my services. my contract was up in less than thirty days. the person I spoke to me that if i canceled at that time it would be an early termination and I would have a fee assessed. I told her that it would not and asked for a supervisor and spoke to her she said that it would not be an early termination. No wonder they have such a low rating they just flat out lie to you to get you to stay and pay for their overrated and overpriced services. If I could I would give negative star rating I would . If I can find another service in my area I will pay more just to not have to be a Century Link customer.

Tara Sites

August 3rd, 2018 Dunnellon, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the worst company I have ever had to deal with in my life. When we first moved to our new home it was nothing but problems with this company. After about a month in half of calling and complaining and giving them a horrible rating I finally heard from someone in this company. I was credited $55 to my account however the problems are still on going. The customer service is horrible and disappointing. The lack of understanding from the reps is ridiculous. My entire neighborhood depends on this company because they are the only ones who service this area. You would think they would put more effort into helping the areas that depend on there services. WRONG!! I am on my 3rd box so far and this box I have now is no better than the last ones. Our lines in the neighborhood have been installed poorly. I would never ever recommend this company to anyone ever!! KEEP AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU CAN!!! They are more of a headache than a service to the public!!!

Scott

August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

Awful internet, high prices. CenturyLink is the internet that people get that either don't have other options or don't know they have other options. Just like a landline- people only have it because they've always had it. Their provided modem/router combos are generally junk and can't effectively manage demands on the slow speeds.

Eric

August 2nd, 2018 Annandale, NJ

Reasonable internet service; but, faster internet is not available in my area.

Holly Nelson

July 27th, 2018 Universal City, TX

WE got their basic internet package, mostly just for streaming on our devices and completing school assignments, always worked great, never a problem! Good value

John

July 23rd, 2018 Black, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WHAT A COMPLETLY WORTHLESS IP!!! WARNING...DO NOT NOT NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS USELESS SERVICE...THIS IS A REALLY BADLY MANAGED COMPANY. JUST ABOUT THE MOST WORTHLESS COMPANY I EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF DOING BUSINESS WITH

Marilyn Greer

July 23rd, 2018 Saint George, UT

They are very helpful everytime we lose the internet.

Tanner Hales

July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Fiber is not available in my area, so speeds are not that great. Customer service is so-so.

Chase B

July 19th, 2018 Peoria, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service, completely unknowledgeable staff, and the chat help online is a joke, they are little help at all and half the stuff they tell you isn't even true. Their brick and mortar store staff is a little bit better at least. Service is awful, terrible speeds, much less than half of the promised mbps.