While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20 Mbps — $45 per month
  • 40–80 Mbps — $55 per month
  • 100–140 Mbps — $65 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $65 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.7

Brennan

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely hated CenturyLink when I had it. Service always kept going down or completely out. The price was good but I definitely got what I paid for. If you want a fast dependable internet connection I wouldn't use CenturyLink.

club 801

February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used century link for about a year. Internet went down often and it was really slow. It is cheaper than other companies but the service is subpar.

Sophie

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century Link is spotty sometimes but overall provides good, fast internet to me.

Laura

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had CenturyLink as an internet service provider for about five years. There are rarely outages and we have had almost no problems. We pay about $45 per month and it has been a positive experience. We often have several devices in the home using the internet at the same time with no problems.

Kristiane R Durfey

February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had Century link internet a few years ago. I'm not sure if it was the area that we live in or what the issue was but our connection would get lost and we would have to restart our box on a regular basis. The range of our WiFi wasn't very good either and since our connection was in the basement it was hard to get a very strong signal to the upstairs. They came out a couple times to fix it but nothing really changed so we switched providers.

JAKE

February 8th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Century Link before and they are a good company. The internet was good and we rarely had any problems with it. The price is definitely reasonable. We used it as part of a package and liked the service for the phone as well. We liked their customer service as well. They were very helpful whenever we would call in.

Zack

February 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

I was promised that I would receive speeds of 15Mbps at my home. Before finalizing the set up of my internet service, I double checked what speeds Century Link actually got at my location and it was 2Mbps. I was lied to, so I went with Comcast Xfinity and have had no issues.

Brody B

February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not a great internet provider. Slow speeds and outages. It seemed like I was always on the phone with customer service trying to figure out what was wrong. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone looking.

Patrick Gentry

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Poor. Internet was the worst I have ever deal with. Made me miss dial-up. Their customer service was a nightmare every time I had to deal with them. And they charge a cancellation fee even though I was not under a contract. Nice. Your service sucks and I have to pay to drop it.

James Lengefeld

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Poor customer service, poor quality, many upgrades only available in specific areas. No matter who you talk to, they will tell you someone else is whom you need to speak too, and of course they are unavailable.

Allison Picard

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are terrible. They never give me a price, only a "promotion." They do not alert me when the "promition" is over and instead just increase my rate. When I notice and complain I am offered a new "promotion." The internet speed is slow and they always have some nonsense reason for it. Service often drops for a moment, so connectivity can be very spotty. The phone reps speak only from a script, and are often difficult to understand. I would switch but Century Link is the only service available at my address.

Herb

February 6th, 2019 Vancouver, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Long wait for appointment to move service, they could certainly improve the wait times for install/move appointments. The tech that came was super! I have their fiber to the house and the speed (upload & download) is amazing. Very reliable.

Kalli Binks

February 6th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently moved and decided to try CenturyLink due to cost. The costumer service was great and the installation went fairly quick. But the quality of this company is not what we were imagining. We have had multiple internet issues including not being able to connect, being very slow and not living up to the good word they send to their costumers.

Ann Bailey

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had Century Link internet for over 15 years. I always only received 3 Mbps for my internet speed. Every time I would call customer service, they somehow made me believe it was on my end. I even purchased a new computer, thinking it was my older computer. I finally had an Engineer from Century Link come to my house. Finally, after all these years, someone was honest with me. He said you will never get better than 3 Mbps in this location. I switched the next day.

Amber McEntire

February 6th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Originally asked to be on the flat rate price, but they didn't put it on for a long time and charged us a lot more for months without fixing it. Also, we almost never get the amount of mbps they say and it's super spotty.

Tim Berrett

February 5th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Broadband was all that was offered in my area from CenturyLink. The service was consistently not meeting the service levels we were paying for. The price we were paying on a promotion would double/triple after several months prompting us to have to call in to get the latest and greatest deal. After several years of service, you would think a company would reward loyal customers, but alas... they do not. It's very disappointing and frustrating. We cancelled service.

Stacy

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give zero stars I would. Our speed was always horribly slow with century link and the customer service was awful as well!! Often had a representative who had too thick of a foreign accent to understand. They also charged me a $200 cancellation fee when I transferred service to a new state and they weren’t supposed to charge me. Took me 5 months to get my money back!! Ridiculous

Lindsey B

February 5th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best word I can come up with to describe CenturyLink's internet service is "average". So-so speeds at a so-so price. I would look into other providers before considering CenturyLink.

Lauren Jorgensen

February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

I am a past customer with CentryLink. I ended up switching due to the slow service. The price was great but I found myself with extremely slow service most of the time.

Cody mills

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century link has been a very reliable provider with minimal problems with connectivity and speed as well as price.

Micah Bradshaw

February 4th, 2019 Salem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had CenturyLink for many years. It was fine for basic internet activities, but the connection speed that was in our area wouldn't keep up with basic gaming. Ended up switching to a different company after calling and they couldn't do anything for us.

Daniel Perez

February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Internet service is not up to what is advertised. We pay for 100mgb service speed but at most we get close to 70mgb. Which isn’t bad speed but not getting what we paid for. We get several times a month when the service just drops out for a few hours. Customer service is good. They’re on time and friendly when we call about dropped service. That’s why they get 4 stars if not would’ve been 3 stars.

Dan Colton

February 4th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used to use one of the other internet service providers. When I first heard about CenturyLink, I was skeptical that they could deliver the same high speed internet at the lower cost they advertised. However, with their price for life offer and no contract, I thought I'd give them a try. I have been very happy with my service and with the money I'm saving after switching to CenturyLink.

BRITTANY RENEE HUMPHREY

February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the only internet provider that is available in our area and its terrible. Very slow and doesn't work all the time. The internet will go out on a regular basis.

nathan brewer

February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had CenturyLink for about 3 years now. I like that it we have reliable internet at a low cost.

Evelyn Chidester

February 1st, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with Century Link for along time. They have great first time signing up rates. The phone service has always been reliable. I experienced very few interenet problems and service people came out promptly and tried to fix it when I did

Hannah Thompson

January 30th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century link is a solid provider but several times it has failed. It also can be difficult to find the network if you don’t rename it because there are often times many century links to choose from (which is good so many people have it)

Cayla robinson

January 16th, 2019 Sandy, UT

Century link is always fast making it very easy to use. The format is simple and user friendly . The employees always there to help when I have questions or when issues arrive . I recommend to everyone searching for good service that is quick!

Michael Brothers

January 9th, 2019 Lebanon, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When its worked, its been fine, and was the only option for a while. However, talking to customer service is annoying...they do not understand the idea that their company's errors cause major inconveniences that go beyond the dollar amount of the service. On multiple occasions in the past year was my wife's work at home jeopardized because of the inability to correctly provide service. I had to escalate to management, who did nothing, and finally to corporate, who agreed with me and FINALLY fixed the problem. This is a company who refuses to accept accountability and responsibility.

Madalyn Johnson

January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink is a great internet provider. I rarely have any issues with my internet and when i do i have experienced great customer service!

CCC

January 3rd, 2019 Ocala, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I called the customer service number 800-244-1111 to ask a simple question about my service. I was on the phone 45 minute and talked to 3 people and was then hung up on. No-one knew the answer to my question and one representative told me there were no services connected to my account.That's nuts! I am using the services and I am getting billed for them each month. Centurylink customer service is horrible. Representatives are rude, uniformed and inaccurate compared to other companies with similar services Centurylink is the only provider in my area. This would not happen with free enterprise. So much for regulation! It took me 4 months just to get my internet service! The keep messing up the installation Then I had trouble with billing! This is a horribly incompetent company!

Kymberlee Yack

December 31st, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had century link for a while now and i highly recommend it! they have great pricing and a great selection of speeds to pick from. I love having an internet provider that's reliable and fast working!

Mitchell

December 21st, 2018 Fall City, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My neighbors and I are over 3 days with no internet. They have lied 3 times about when may be restored. The internet repair number routes to clueless agents who can only follow stupid scripts, have no internet experience, can't spell "IP", and have no ability to escalate. I also learned the hard way that you are not eligible for any poor performance credit due to their neglect. You can only ask for credit for actual downtime, which they don't properly track our monitor. Their service is so bad they place a bunch of phone operators to keep them shielded from a customer. It is clear they have no idea where their checks come from. If I had the ability to swap providers I would do it post haste. These jokers are the only providers available to me. We are hostages with zero recourse. If you are one of the fortunate ones who has a choice, course ANYTHING other than last-CenturyStink! You won't be as sorry as you will be going with this terrible service.

John

December 13th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

slow. even though they claim faster speed, I can't get it in my area. and between the phone reps and the store reps, I get different information

Jorden Laird

December 12th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Speed was just ok, but connection would drop at least once a day. I had to powercycle their modem at least 3 times a week. Appointments for techs were few and far between, but techs when they got here, had been helpful.

Mia Hernandez

December 11th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using century link there a great company my service is sensational the only problem i ever had was once with there customer service when i first started with the company the sales rep who got me in advised me that my instillation and router would be free id only have to pay for my 1st months service which i thought was nice until i recvd my 1st months bill and i was charged for everything when i called into customer service to dispute my charges i spoke wit 3 different ppl who didnt seem to know what they were doing. needless to say i was really unhappy with my service so far finally when i got to the 4th person i was assisted and got my file corrected other than that my service has been great ever since

Lauryn

December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

honestly, not a fan. used this provider for internet for a bit, but it was slow and very inconsistent, going out and random times when i had important papers due or something. pretty inconvenient. again, speed was o k a y - not great but not horrible. until it broke.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton

December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had so many issues with this internet provider. Constant delays and connection issues. I'm assuming it is due to our location by the mountain side. They seem to be willing to fix problems every time they occur.

Fernando Delgado

December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love the price for internet service century link provides however at some times internet does get slow. Move and had to cancel service because they don't have the a higher speed of internet i am looking for.

Shawn

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In our area, Highland Utah, century link was extremely slow and not reliable. We ended up upgrading to Comcast/Xfinity. We have better results now.

Jack miller

December 5th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I had CenturyLink a while back. It was not bad, but I definitely would go as far as to say it wasn't good. Internet speed and customer service were decent at best.

HLG

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internet is so slow. It's just to hard to deal with these days now that we do so much online.

Amber

December 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internet was fast for the price in some areas. Once I moved it was terrible even when I upgraded. I always seemed to have an issue with my bill. I was with them for 5 years and just recently decided to go with Cox.

Mackenzie

December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had CenturyLink Internet service for 4 years and once we got the connection installed correctly, it was rock solid for all 4 years. When we moved, it was an easy process to cancel our service.

Theresa

December 1st, 2018 Lehigh Acres, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very slow speed, have had to call for technical support many times

Doug

November 24th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The prices keep going, bring bach a location so I can pay my bill and not get charged an extra $5

Carrie D

November 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service is not helpful unfortunately so now need to cancel

Martin

November 24th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are good, they provide good service when need it.

Alyssa Scott

November 21st, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

needs to be faster internet. the internet is very slow.

Barbara Okken

November 21st, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

customer service is horrible. Don't ever have a problem that you can't solve. You'll be on the phone a VERY long time, but I rarely have to call them.