While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20 Mbps — $45 per month
  • 40–80 Mbps — $55 per month
  • 100–140 Mbps — $65 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $65 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.7

Jon Scoresby

October 7th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Internet was always slow. It didn't take me long to switch to s different provider. I don't know why it was that bad.

Jami Howell

October 7th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They charged us the wrong amount for at least 5 years and weren't able to get it back. They charged us monthly for a modem that we already owned and all they offered was a gift card.

Don Boren

October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The connection in my house was spotty. I had to have signal boosters to get coverage in all the bedrooms.

Dustin Marx

October 3rd, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had CenturyLink's 40 Mbps internet service for years, but found that this was not enough to support the multiple devices our family uses for streaming, playing games, browsing the internet, etc. We upgraded to CenturyLink's 100 Mbps service early this year and have been able to run all of our devices, consoles, and laptops at the same time. We are also able to stream three movies at once. We especially like the 5 GHz support. We rarely have disruptions to our internet service and have never had a disruption for longer than an hour or two.

Ted Johnson

October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century Link is a good, reliable, internet service. Their speeds are fast and I used them when I lived in Las Vegas and I loved it. It isn't as available now where I live, but I wish I could have it again and will keep checking to see when it is available in my area.

Tara Marx

October 1st, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Centurylink for years for our internet provider and we find it very reliable.

Miles Strother

September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use a CenturyLink router, which was cheap, simple to set up, and doesn't cause many problems. In over 4 years, we've only had a couple of outages, and only once or twice was the router to blame, and the outages were easy to fix and short

Michael Schapiro

September 27th, 2019 Endicott, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink is a scam! Our business signed a contract with CenturyLink in October of 2018. CenturyLink never installed the equipment(it is sitting outside our server room). CenturyLink quoted 1 month to set up. It is almost 1 year later and they still have not started the service. They did start billing us and continue to. I have asked them to credit it off since the beginning but just getting the run around. Here are some of the quotes from a Senior Manager at CenturyLink to us: October 9, 2018 - "Good News the instal may take a few months" January 2, 2019 - "Alton, Was our tech ever onsite for the install? January 4, 2019 - If we do not hear from him(Alton) I am getting my boss involved. January 15, 2019 - " I have not heard anything . January 22, 2019 - " My boss is trying to get you a response" January 22, 2019 - "It's really frustrating" January 312, 2019 - "They were suppose to send you an update. Not happy that they didn't. February 21, 2019 - "Hey Alton, Michael is looking for some help here." March 7, 2019 - "Alton, is there something we can do?" April 16, 2019 - " I sent for an update last week. I will try again. " April 16, 2019 - "I am sorry this process is so long and it seems it will never end" May 8, 2019 -" I actually am helping Aaron because he reached out in frustration because of your current project manager. I was able to get your account number from him. I think I have everything I need aside from possibly having you resign the LOA forms for porting the numbers over again because the previous ones are expired." May 14, 2019 - "I have been emailing the project manager but she has not gotten back to me yet. There isn’t anything that we have left to do so there really shouldn’t be an issue. I will email her again and forward this chain." May 14, 2019 " I'm growing more frustrated day by day, and I hope we can resolve soon. We’ll talk about credits when it’s over. Thank you Hope, she’s helping us out a lot." May 29, 2019 - " have completed everything requested including the TN portability. I’ve also attached the VQT. Is this moving forward. " Many more email of the same over the summer of 2019 August 6, 2019 " I’m at the point where I’m not sure what to do. I know this account was moved a few weeks back. Maybe the new account team can get something done. I think we can modify the current circuit for internet only, but not sure about adjusting the contract, it’s started billing. I don’t understand the billing, and they’re not willing to work with us. But I see what you see, they’re billing the same toll free on both invoices. I’m trying to get Hope to help me again. Its tough, and I’m so frustrated. I can’t seem to get any help. I’m trying to reach hope to see if there is anyone on her end that can get someone to check on the toll free. It is now September 25, 2019 nothing has been done to move this forward. CenturyLink is still invoicing us for a service that was never installed. Warning **** Scam!

Andrew boyer

September 26th, 2019 Grantsboro, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are not what you want they only care about money... They will not work with you on moving around pay dates unless on fixed income.. They are all so rude, they are just an overall crapy service...

Joy Hill

September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service is great - they do everything they can to keep you from cancelling. I do wish they had higher speeds where I live.

DOUG

September 10th, 2019 South Boston, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cannot get to my email account for the second time in the last week or so. called this morning and was told it would take up to 48 hours to fix. The last time it took a few minutes with the tech on the phone with me. It was because I had had an earlier problem they would not fix right away. Very poor service!!!!

Ron Durfey

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had CenturyLink but had to leave them because of poor service. I was constantly having to reboot my modem and was constantly having to work at a local restaurant/coffee house to get internet service for my work. I will not use CenturyLink again!

Ad

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I do not like Century Link. I use the internet a lot in the evenings and on weekends and I feel like the internet service is so poor during those times. Their customer service department is saying that their service is the best, but it is not so.

Randy Scoville

September 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have Century Link as our current provider. We are at the end of a road, so the internet speed is very slow and unreliable. the upload and download speed is so much slower than what we pay for. However, there isn't much that can be done, so we just deal with it. I wish they would offer us better service.

Dave Ros

September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible internet service. Overpriced with slow speeds. It’s hard to work from home with such slow speeds

Virginia Rosenthal

September 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internet speed is so slow. I am not impressed by their customer service who don’t seem concerned when there was interruptions in service.

Campbell Blair

September 3rd, 2019 Phoenix, AZ

CenturyLink has always been a little too spotty for me, every time I have used it, it hasn't gotten any better.

Sara

August 26th, 2019 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have only had centuryLink for a few days now and every morning since being installed that have turned off my internet and I have had to call and speak to about 5-6 different people then wait hours for them to work on the account assuring me the problem will be resolved. Then the next morning the same thing happens. The most recent time was this morning and its saturday they tried to say that noting could be done till monday and i wouldn’t have internet tell then, when i started say i wanted my money back she said she was going to speak to some advanced tech and then she tried to get my internet back on and she was able to. Im sure this issue will happen again tomorrow. Im going to demand a full refund and switch as so as I can.

Katrina Billingsley

August 26th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful. They bill in advance Legal crime. RIP you off!

Terrone

August 23rd, 2019 Frenchtown, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Perfect example of greed. This company doesn't give a darn about you or anyone else. I have no other choices but may have to be drastic and think outside the Box because I want to get rid of these guys in the worst way they are absolutely horrible. Service is always intermittent sometimes I only have .025 of MBPS. Never have had close to what they advertise. They refuse to update the infrastructure. Worst company I have ever had to deal with the owner manager should be ashamed of himself.

Jon

August 20th, 2019 Fort Myers, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century Links customer service is atrocious. Long hold times, rescheduled appointments, no shows etc. Their system experiences difficulties consistently as well. This is a poorly run show to be sure.

Paul Nelson

July 29th, 2019 Lena, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Poor communication . Don't care about service issues. F- . Can't even use the phone much less the internet. constant crackling on the phone line. Pittyfull !

Gerald j.Dombrowski

July 29th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had centurylink for about 20 years and their a bait and switch company ,meaning they tell you one price charge you another price , but I'm looking ,and I'll keep looking until I find one that are more credible

Bret Stockton

July 25th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After dealing with many debacles to get service set up I realized I had just made an error by switching to centurylink. I hoped it would improve after that but no such luck. Was constantly haunted with buffering, horrific customer service plus billing issues & outages. Do yourself a favor by steering clear of this company!

Sage Robertson

July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Century Link currently as our internet provider. I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's not the worst. I feel that their customer service lacks, and the quality is only sub par. I also have had issues with billing, and the customer service didn't seem to care.

Cheyenne Gravley

July 19th, 2019 Max Meadows, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everytime there is a power outage. CenturyLink loses remote access connection to your ip address. Now, field team can remotely fix this in seconds. And since CenturyLink doesn't teach their regular chat/phone employees how to understand this problem and how easy the solution is. They don't understand & send you a tech to your home, each time. A waste of your time, A waste of the Tech's time as well. Because when the tech arrives, he has to also contact CenturyLink and wait for field team to remotely connect. It's 2019. WiFi isn't new. This should not be a repeated problem, every other month.

Gordon Gibb

July 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Three years ago the speed did not get above 3 mps in our residential area. We paid for more speed but it wasn't available. Service was dependable.

Lauren

July 8th, 2019 Rocky Mount, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had this wifi service since we moved a year ago. It’s the only internet provider for my small town. It is AWFUL. I have to restart the Modem at least 6 or 7 times a day, just for the wifi to work. Not to mention, it’s so obnoxiously slow when it does actually work. We literally have to be in the room, sitting in front of the thing for it to have any type of connection to it. We have contacted them numerous times. They’ve come out and checked our modem at least three times; they say “it should work now”, yet it’s still the same horrid connection. They contacted us and asked about switching a plan, saying it would have better reach and connectivity. We fell for it, now we’re paying 2x what we paid before and still having the exact same issues, except WORSE. We used to have Cox, and it never had a single issue. We used them for a little over 4 years and I never, not once, had to restart the modem or even call them with a problem. Save your money. If your town has another internet service that may cost a little bit more, spend the extra cash if you want to actually have decent wifi and decent costumer service. Luckily for us, a new internet service provider has moved to our town. We, along with everyone else in the neighborhood, will be switching within the next month. Hopefully this review will actually post, being that I’m connected to a potato of a modem.

Hshash

July 8th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Century link is the worst internet you could possibly have it’s always going down and it is very unreliable despite what most say I had no choice but using them because they are th only internet where I live but they are absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with a service ever they are not even worth a dollar of your money

Mikey

June 28th, 2019 Arvada, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You get about 80% of the speed you pay for (which is not bad...), My Century Link reliability is Great, it is fully functional better than 99% of the time. The BIG problem is that Century Link is a VARY Greedy company, they make you Re Negotiate the cost of your service every year OR they switch you to "price for life". This year my wife called to re negotiate and switched us to "price for life" this resulted in a 2.5 X price increase.

Rosann Stanko

June 26th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had CenturyLink for several years and we’ve been pleased with the service. 🤨 I am especially pleased with the customer service bc the people are patient with my questions and they are good at answering my questions. If they do not know the answers, they are quick to check with a supervisor or someone else that knows the answer.

Chloe Adams

June 25th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I purchased centurylink for my home in northern Utah with very high hopes. We canceled our subscription as soon as possible. The WiFi device was terrible. When we contacted Century link I was met with an annoying automated voice, and little to no help. I was left angry and throughly displeased.

Ruth

June 24th, 2019 Youngtown, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The price is reasonable. However, the service drops significantly during certain times of the day. It would be great if the speed remained the same throughout the day.

Jason

June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like CenturyLink because they have fast service and they always answer my questions.

Kerry

June 21st, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

price keeps going up. started out pretty fair then wanted to change service and told we couldnt. customer service is poor have been on hold for over 30 min many times

Alan Kalina

June 21st, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Any questions I had were always answered promptly and correctly. Service Reps are on time and have never seemed to waste time.

Sandy A.

June 21st, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've only had a couple issues and had prompt resolutions. We love centurylink!

Raymond Mariani

June 21st, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

in the past, we have had nothing but problems with them. however, since having a home in Gold Canyon,AZ, they have been excellent to date.

Craig Crowl

June 18th, 2019 Park Falls, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expensive land line plans. Internet service is out far to often. Customer service not available weekends and when available it sucks. One of the worst companies I have ever done business with.

T

June 18th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great price, but the connection cuts in and out regularly. If you use for streaming it’s a hassle.

Julie

It runs slow can be very frustrating they don''t have the 25mb in my area

George

June 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Connection i sometimes unreliable. when I have contacted them to discuss, their automated answering system is tedious. They then check their signal and tell me it is showing no problem yet There is and it takes some doing to gr them to send someone to fix the problem....

Paul A Baca

June 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It has been a mixed bag I have had good customer care now it wasn't always that way but better now

Jeremy Balls

June 12th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have some of the best pricing for internet and the quality is not that bad. But the speeds need to be improved. The highest internet speed I can receive is 20Mbps, what I actually got was more around 14Mbps. So if you need a keep priced internet they are fine, but if you use your internet a lot, this speed just won't do it for you. I never have had any issue with service or billing.

Jennifer Smith

June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our experience with CenturyLink has not been positive. The coverage in our area has been slow. CenturyLink came to our house to try to deliver faster internet speeds but was unable to meet the requirements we had for our home office.

Rebecca S

June 10th, 2019 Ashland, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do you not do business with Centry link! You will regret it! Their customer service is the worst I’ve ever seen in all my years. Instead of helping you they put you on hold and pass you to another person so you can repeat yourself once again. I’ve wasted way too much time on hold with them and I finally had it. I’ve now cancelled my service. They overcharge and bill for things that you didn’t do and they don’t care to even try to fix it. Good luck to anyone who does business with them. It will never be me again!

John Burnside

June 10th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have been reliable although their service is sometimes slow. I usually get a promotion every year to keep the cost down and ran our of discounts. The price had risen dramatically so I went into their local store and told them I was looking at alternative internet providers because of the price increase. They offered me a very reasonable rate for 5 years and I took it. No more jockeying with promos. The price is pretty good for my area of the country.

Brenda

June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Compared to other internet providers I have researched they have the best price. When I was getting it setup I told them I already had a router but that they had to send me one of theirs. They gave me the option to send it back and use my own but it just seemed like such a hassle to have to contact them after getting it and then get a shipping return label to return something that I had already told them I didn't need. You also only have around 3 days to return the router they send so I ended up stuck renting the one they provided.

Mila Smith

June 7th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WHEN it's working, it is fast. However, when you make appts with them they will move your appt around without authorization. I made an appt for next week bc I'm out of town. Three next day I get a text stating the tech will arrive today from 10-12. I spent 20 min on the phone with someone that had to transfer me to 'reschedule' the appt. Got hung up on. Called customer care & was interrupted by the person stating CenturyLink's favorite line "you don't need to be there bc they'll just do work outside." I told them I do need to be there bc they are replacing modem bc it is not compatible with my upgrade package. Got hung up on again. Called again... told this person everything that had happened and she took a snotty time with me and said there was never an appt today only next week. Then I asked, did someone cancel it? She then said, yes it was canceled so you only have the appt next week. Come on Century Link. Seriously, if you're going to set an appt with your customers, keep the appt as scheduled. AND figure out how to get people that know what they're doing

Mardee Eames

June 7th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internet was terrible. Very very slow and would kick us off. We were not happy.