While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20 Mbps — $45 per month
  • 40–80 Mbps — $55 per month
  • 100–140 Mbps — $65 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $65 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.7

Charles Isaacson

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only company I have ever been with so I don't know how to compare it to any other company.

Tom Chapman

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The network is stable and fast. Support is good when needed.

Dan Tafoya

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service and speed! I have used this company for the past 10 years and I have had no problems

Patty Miller

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had to fire them. I live in a rural area dominated by Century Link. We have NO other choice other than satellite, which also sucks. Century Link promises DSL speed to us of 1.5 mbps (while everybody else is giving 200-400 mbps!!). Long story short, they couldn't even deliver .1 mbps!!! I had to go to my neighbor's house to download Chrome on my new computer! And then there was the almost 2 weeks I had no internet service at all due to their "cable cut". I wrote to my state Attorney General who contacted them, and of course they claim "no wrongdoing". It's not right that we have no other choice for our internet service!! With the lockdown, parents have no way to get internet service for their kids' schoolwork, which puts them at a great disadvantage! Tell Century Link to get off their butts and get some serious internet service in their areas! Spend some of the $$$ we pay for phone service every month!!

Harvey Liston

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use them for a couple years now. They set up my Internet service very fast and has never gone down except for how I use now that school is out. Very pleased with them.

William Miller

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

down loading changes too much during the day. Have gone from 0.8 to 4.2 in the last 6 days

Kevin Shaw

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not always good with payment plans. I wish they had more options for repayment

Jonathan Leverence

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The internet is OK, but we just have internet and the price we are paying for just internet is ridiculous. Like being robed every month.

Neal

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

prompt, personable technician but not a good strong connection ... lots of spooling ... at times no connection at all and causes Amazon Firestick to go on tilt.

Tierra

March 31st, 2020 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The only reason I’m giving one star is because the manager Brian I spoke with the other day was very nice and helpful. His tech MICHAEL was very rude and hung up on me. He came out Friday was very hesitant to give me his mangers information finally he gave me Brian’s number. Brian advised me someone would be out Monday. My sister was at my house due to a family emergency she stayed MICHAEL couldn’t do the job because he didn’t have access to my neighbors yard I gained access and called to inform him. He stated If the job came back up he wouldn’t do the work because it’s too much and isn’t worth it. I sent him a text and I also sent a screen shot of it to Brian. I can’t control that before I purchased my home it hadn’t been internet for years all I can control is I’m willing to pay to get my install.This is the message I sent MICHAEL and it’s disgusting the way he spoke to me and hung up in my face. I hope this isn’t what this company stands behind! I was very respectful of you. I see that you have a issue communicating. I hope in the future you learn to correct that issue because you are in the field of customer service. Soft skills is something that is learned and I pray you are one day able to learn them. You hung up in my face after advising me that you couldn't complete the job because you didn't have access. (I was calling to inform you that I have gained access for you)I hope this isn't the attitude that your employer stands behind because the way you was being disrespectful after I've remained polite is beyond me. I'm trying to get this service for my kids and I've been very diligent about it.If you aren't happy with your job you could not come to work. The customers are who help you be employed and if you demonstrate that type of behavior often this will give you all a bad name. If the job is too much for you please advise your employer so that they can get someone out who is skilled for this job. Again I do apologize that you aren't competent enough to do this job. And I pray the lord allows you to have better days. Be blessed MICHAEL and I hope you learn to treat customers better!

nancy

March 23rd, 2020 Mount Gilead, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered service for my residence & business, for which they sent boxes but no one ever showed up to install them. TWICE! Therefore the service was never hooked up. I continued on with spectrum. This was in May of 2019 & they have not stopped billing me or harassing me, to date. They are now trying to say I, a senior citizen ordered self install for my home & business. I would have never done that, not in a million years, that's just one of their lies. I have involved the attorney generals office & centurylink keeps saying they have sent labels to return the boxes & that they will credit everything after they get the boxes. They have never sent the labels & I can prove that through photographed daily mail, in my email. While in the middle of trying to settle things through the office of the attorney general, I get a notice that centurylink has turned my account (that I NEVER had)over to a collection agency. Keeping in mind, centurylink gave me until the 24th of march 2020 to send boxes back (without the labels they claim to have sent)in order to receive the credit, but, On March 21st 2020 is when I received the credit threat. So this is their way of working things out, by lying & deceitful actions. How can someone collect on something they NEVER provided & better yet threaten an excellent credit record for something that NEVER took place?? WORST company & customer service EVER!! Almost a whole year of harassment from this company & still have gotten NO where!

Shari Leff

March 17th, 2020 Huntington, NY

The worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Chino Alvarado

March 14th, 2020 Elkhart, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful customer service. Equally awful internet service. Save your time and money and don't use century link. Ever.

Alyssa Hansel

March 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have Centurylink and they are great! I can't complain about their super fast and reliable service! Customer service is also great!

J Connelly

March 5th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had century link for two years. We wanted a faster internet and they kept raising their prices.

Karen L Traquair

March 2nd, 2020 Red Bud, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst internet and customer service ever! Been on hold for 1 hour 10 minutes, they closed with me still being on hold! I canceled internet service which was awful and then continued to bill me for it. They said I never canceled but after I read the conformation number I was promptly put on hold and left there! Monday morning I going to cancel my landline and tell them to shove their terrible service up their tears! I HATE CENTURYLINK!!!

Kim May

March 2nd, 2020 Amarillo, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It all started in June 2019 when we wanted more speed in Angel Fire New Mexico. We ordered a new modem. It was delivered on June 22 and never activated. On July 2, 2019, we called to find out why the new modem would not hook up. Nearly 20 calls and 5 days later, no service at all. No internet service to our home and the installer did not show up. I called to beg for service. Please turn on our internet. Customer service had no record of my account under that number and told us it was closed. We gave up since the account "was closed" and ordered service under my name. They showed up in two days. Internet service still active. No issues installing or setting it up for a "new customer." Fast forward to February 2020 when we get a bill for collections that says service has been ON all of this time with no payment. Really, even if we had service, what internet company on the face of the earth lets someone have internet for 6 months without paying? This is a scam. We have called to talk about what is happening and they cannot find our account number. What on earth? After entering all of our information the customer service rep says that we upgraded on July 2 and have never paid the bill. DO NOT USE this company. They are scamming people and falsifying records that state they have provided service when indeed they have not.

Linda Webb

March 2nd, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had century link and always had issues with my service. When I called in several time to get help everyone didn’t know what they were doing. When I moved they messed up my account and it was such a pain to get fixed. I will never got back to them again

beks13

February 28th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SERIOUSLY THE WORST. OUT INTERNET CRASHED 4 times a day. Get your stuff together.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Sandy, UT

They're great when they work and bad when they're not! Customer service can be very hard to deal with. They take forever to "diagnose" your need when you call in and then even worse to fix it after that. Most times the service was too slow to bother. Luckily we don't have it in our area so we use xfinity.

LF

February 21st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great price and great service in my area. Will not switch unless the service starts to go down.

JR Suguturaga

February 21st, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a poor experience trying to cancel the service and it took several weeks to cancel. The internet provided was poor compared to my new provider

Eric

February 21st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had CenturyLink for several years and have had a very good experience. The price is good for the service. Rarely does my internet "go out". Their provided router has a strong signal and seems to handle multiple devices in our home without problems.

CarenM

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been personal and business customers of Century Link for years. Overall their service is good, but one thing that is frustrating is that their marketing dept calls all the time to obtain our business, but we already have their service and they don't take us off the call list. Other than that, no problems.

Nicholas Cloward

February 21st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not great internet but it works. If you can’t get anything else this company is good enough.

Michelle Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not a fan of CenturyLink. The service is slow and is over priced. Unfortunately, we have few options in our city and we are stuck with their service. Looking forward to when other providers become available and we can switch. Their customer service agents seem to know that we have few options and therefore are indifferent to helping us when we call.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have CenturyLink and after upgrading speeds, I feel that the internet access is superb. It is well worth the discounted pricing. Excellent customer service too!

David T

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Centurylink has terrible problems with their speed and down time. I needed more solid internet for my work, so I had to find someone else.

tania moe

February 20th, 2020 Olive Branch, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I appreciate CenturyLink being one of the few companies who established service in my newly built neighborhood. With it being one of my only options, I have been impressed with the signal and connection and service. I also signed my parents up for CenturyLink in their home. My only setback was that I received a better deal than my parents were able to receive. No biggie though.

Ron Vincent

February 20th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our internet is very slow in this area. I can’t express our frustrating this has been for all of us in this area. The customer service is great!! We’ve never had any problems except for our frustrating internet!!

Lacey Horne

February 20th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Never had trouble with service, reliable, quality products at a great price. Would definitely recommend

Mykahla Nelson

February 20th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Century Link for about 3 months and I have no complaints! My internet is very fast.

Aimee Mortensen

February 19th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink wouldn’t offer us fiber, wouldn’t extend it to us when our neighbors across the street had it. It ended there and they weren’t willing to take it any further.

Lknls

February 19th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cheaper than other providers in my area for higher speeds. I haven’t had any issues with it. Getting a hold of them is a headache sometimes.

Hallieford

February 19th, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had century link for over 5 years and it’s been great. I got the price for life. We can stream on multiple devices.

Annie Robbins

February 18th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The prices are lower than most companies for internet. Century Link offers fast speeds. There are times when the internet goes out at our home, which is frustrated. At one particular time when it was going on often, they replaced the modem without question.

Mike Ika

February 14th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was with Century Link for several years for my internet service. Each year they raised my rates for no reason. Their internet service was slow for the prices I was paying. Their customer service department was unwilling to negotiate my rates, so I left them for Xfinity.

amy rex

February 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used these guys for years. Over priced and horrendous customer service. Wouldn't recommend them.

Audrey Mitchell

February 13th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had ups and downs with CenturyLink, but we have stayed with them because of the great quality or internet. It covered our whole household great

Joe Thielen

February 12th, 2020 Lone Tree, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had CenturyLink fiber installed at my house in Nov 2019. This is an amazing service at 1Gbps, with low latency and jitter....!!!! The price is $65 a month, which is amazing as well!!! If you can get this service, you should, you will not regret the choice, and you will constantly be amazed.!!!

Sandra Douglas

February 11th, 2020 Evanston, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a bad experience with this company several years ago. Hope they have improved their customer service.

Kayla

February 11th, 2020 Heber, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Speeds are not great in semi rural areas . A little spendy for what you get. Internet goes down occasionally.

Angelina Hamilton

February 7th, 2020 Jackson, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Speeds are great. Haven’t had any problems. I am able to do so many things like streaming and still be on my computer!

kayshel

February 6th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Century Link for a few years, but when I moved to Utah, the only speed available was pretty slow. I switched to xfinity and for almost the same price got a lot better service. Century Link told me they couldn't give me any faster service

Jamie Neider

February 6th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently switched from xfinity to Century Link. We have been so happy with the lower price. Our actual internet service is a little slower than we'd like, but we have been happy with the customer service and lower price so it's worth it to us.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CenturyLink offers fast speeds at ridiculously low prices. What's more is you can lock it in for longer spans of time so your billing is stable, They are courteous and their technical help staff are amazing. While a complex problem can arise, they are well trained to fix issues and get you back on your way with minimal disruption. Can't ask for better.

Christina Shumway

February 5th, 2020 Managua, MN

My family had Century link and it was okay. It worked well most of the time, but was kind of spotty at times.

Beverly Schacher

February 4th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used to have Century Link as our internet provider before our recent move out of state. With Century Link we had problems with our internet every few months. Their customer service is pretty good to help get your computer back online but sometimes it took up to an hour of troubleshooting. We now use another provider and so far have never had an interruption in our service. Because of this, I do not recommend Century Link.

Bryndie

February 4th, 2020 Managua, MN

Decent internet service connection. The speed is okay and the connection is usually pretty strong. Gets slow if there are too many people connected.

Brandi Eox

February 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoy having CenturyLink I do wish though that we had constant service without interruptions