Best Company Guarantee AT&T Internet Logo

AT&T Internet

7.4

LAST UPDATED: February 28th, 2024

AT&T has been providing telecommunications services to people across the United States for more than 30 years. You may have have experience with AT&T as a company dedicated to powering your mobile phone, but they're also a popular TV and internet service provider.

You can bundle phone, TV, and internet plans through AT&T, so if you're in the market for all three, this company may be your go-to ISP. AT&T offers its customers one of the world's largest wireless networks, and it's known for being reliable and strong. The company's large customer base benefits from this wide range of services at reasonable prices that will fit in any budget.

But like all ISPs, AT&T has its limitations: AT&T internet is available in 21 states and offers speed up to 1 Gig. Still impressed? So are we.

View Customer AT&T Internet Reviews

The Good

• Affordable Prices
  • High Speeds
  • Rural Availability
  • Generous Data Cap
  • Equipment
  • Bundling Options

Affordable Prices

AT&T Internet is a popular choice because they have a variety of packages. These plans prices are based on a one-year commitment:

• Internet Basic 5 (DSL Plan) — $30 per month
  • Internet 10-100 (DSL Plan) — $40 per month
  • Internet 100 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 300 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 1,000 (Fiber Optic) — $60 per month

The following disclaimers apply to each of these packages:

Plus taxes. 12 mo. agmt, other qualifying service & combined billing req'd. Incl 1 TB data/mo. $10 chrg for each add'l 50 GB (up to $100/mo). Limited availability in select areas. May not be available in your area. Visit AT&T to check service availability. Actual customer speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Download speeds are typically up to 940 Mbps due to overhead capacity reserved to deliver the data. Speeds may also vary based on factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, internal network management factors, and end user device capabilities. For more information, go to www.att.com/speed101

AT&T offers these high speed internet plans through fiber and DSL internet. Internet Basic 5 and 10-100 are DSL; Internet 100, 300, and 1,000 are offered through fiber. Not every service provider can offer the consistent download and upload speeds of fiber-optic internet, so this option could be worth looking into if it's available in your area. And it's also worth noting that Internet 1,000 has an unlimited data allowance.

The price for an AT&T internet package is even more impressive when the customer compares the prices to some of the competing broadband providers. Top-tier internet plans from some other companies can cost significantly more than the cost of AT&T's fiber plans.

High Speeds

If you're like any other customer, you're looking for more bang for your buck. AT&T's competitive speeds for broadband and fiber could impress you, especially given their modest price tag. These packages provide different levels of high-speed internet connection:

• Basic 5 — Up to 5 Mbps
  • Internet 10–100 — Up to 100 Mbps
  • Internet 300 — Up to 300 Mbps
  • Internet 1,000 — Up to 1,000 Mbps

These are fast download speeds. Customers should understand that these are the maximum possible download speeds, and you could experience slightly lower speeds depending on external factors, like traffic and computer software.

The Internet 10–100 plan is an average broadband speed that will be more than adequate for some customers; however, it may not be available in some areas.

Rural Availability

If the plans above aren't available in your region, you might still have some options with AT&T.

For customers in rural areas, AT&T may be able to provide better data speeds than many competitors through its Fixed Wireless Internet, which uses an outdoor antenna paired with an indoor router to deliver 25 Mbps speeds for $40 per month. And if you want to bump it up to $89.99 a month, you can bundle DirecTV.

Generous Data Cap

One advantage of choosing AT&T as an internet service provider is its generous data cap. With many of its internet plans, AT&T offers a data cap of 1 TB per month. AT&T also offers an unlimited data plan for $90 per month. This is a lot of data, so most customers won’t have to worry about going over the cap.

Equipment

Customers who sign up with AT&T can receive a modem that also acts as a router, providing Wi-Fi service for their devices. If you don't have your own equipment, this is ideal.

However, you'll pay a $35 activation fee if they perform self-guided setup. For technician service, the installation and activation fee is $99.

Bundling Options

You can bundle your internet with U-Verse TV to save on both. Internet providers typically offer cable TV as well, so this isn't an uncommon feature.

The cheapest package, U-Family TV + AT&T Internet, is $89.99 per month. The internet and TV bundles have an unlimited data allowance, which could be a perk for those who were on the fence about adding TV service to their bundle.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Data Surcharges
  • Contract Required
  • Customer Service Complaints

Limited Availability

AT&T does not offer internet service in every state. There are 21 states across the country that have AT&T internet service networks. They are:

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

If you do not live in one of these states, AT&T is not an option for you.

Data Surcharges

While AT&T offers a generous data cap for most plans, there is an additional charge of $10 per 50 GB of data used past the data cap. This additional charge can be as much as $100 per month. If you choose AT&T, be cautious of how much data you are using, because you may end up with a higher internet bill than you planned for.

Contract Required

If you choose AT&T Internet, you'll have to sign a one-year contract. This might discourage you, because ending a contract early can sometimes result in termination fees which can add up. This will limit your ability to change service options if the need arises.

Customer Service Complaints

Some negative reviewers note that customer service has them feeling like they're being passed between representatives without any solution for an issue. This is a common complaint about many ISPs.

However, not every review expresses this sentiment, and many others praise the patience and knowledge of AT&T representatives.

The Bottom Line

You can see some clear advantages to using AT&T Internet from our review. AT&T gives most of their customers four different internet plans to choose from. These high-speed access products offer fast internet speeds and a variety of features. AT&T's Internet 1,000 plan isn't the fastest on the market, but if you have 1 TB in data allowance, this should be plenty for any family.

But keep in mind that part of AT&T Internet's terms and conditions there is a one-year contract. This contract can be inconvenient and result in an early termination fee if you need to move or want to change providers. Additionally, the customer will have to pay an extra fee for any overages.

AT&T is a great internet service provider to choose if you are looking for quality internet access and are already utilizing other services from this company.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T Internet below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More About Our Guarantee

3.9

Hank Ricardo Winnipeg, MB

I've used AT&T before and really liked it. The customer service was above average and the one time fee of $99 installation fee seemed pretty normal. I moved from the support region and switch over.

Angie New York, NY

I have AT&T for internet access in upstate NY and it works well. It's not an easy location with internet connections due to cell tower availability but AT&T seems to be a very good provider for us.

Cuban Queen Fort Lauderdale, FL

They are the only option I have for internet in my area at the moment. I had to get an extendor at an additional monthly cost because internet was lagging downstairs. I was without internet access for a while because they didn't have anyone available to connect my service shortly after getting my new service. I do pay less than Xfinity but all in all I'm not impressed with their level of service.

Sonya Parker Mesa, AZ

Horrible service product and horrible customer service. Often leave you on hold for extended periods of time and still not able to answer your question or trouble shoot the problems.

Amanda George IL

Their internet service is expensive and their equipment prices are ridiculous. They charge you for every little thing, and unless you get the expensive packages it's like it doesn't work well. Customer service people are nice and helpful but they don't do much to fix the issues.

rosie perez

Read the small print on all their promotions! Internet is just ok with fiber , I don’t see any difference than 4g. At $75 a month is just RIDIC , they never find you new promotions after yours is up. Their statements are 12 pages long .

Chase Victorson Yonkers, NY

AT&T internet offers a comprehensive range of plans with varying speeds to suit different needs. Their fiber-optic network ensures a fast and reliable internet connection, ideal for streaming, gaming, and large downloads. The customer service provided by AT&T is generally commendable, with responsive representatives who strive to resolve issues promptly. However, they do have occasional inconsistencies in speed and reliability, which can be a downside for those seeking a consistent and uninterrupted online experience.

Revlon Bryant Briggs Madison, TN

The internet service is suppose to be high speed. If it’s high speed, I would hate to see what low speed would provide. The fee is too high for the service I am provided. The problem is, my family and friends who have different internet carries complain about their service too, so I might as well stay with the devil I know than switch to a different devil to found out it’s worse.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

The service itself is not too bad but the customer service, company transparency and billing are a mess. As a paying customer for a long time, every monthly bill I got had a different amount on it. I would have to call customer service to dispute such so I could pay what we had agreed on monthly for the plan I signed up for. Customer service takes a long time to take calls, not too helpful with problems so they transfer you to someone else where you wait some more, and then they tell you that the planned you signed up for was only a fixed price for a year thus expired. This company offers great internet thus taking care of these problems would put it up there with other internet services.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I am new to AT&T internet service, although I can say that we have had some issues from the get-go, within the first week of installation. We have the 300mb fiber optic wife and internet service. The first issue I have is the speed. After speaking to customer service, no one can tell me the cause of the slow speeds. The gateway is measuring the correct speed, but an internet test on all devices in the house reveals speeds of under 60mbs! Way below the speed we are paying for. Previously we had 100mb cable internet, and the speeds often topped out around 110mb, so I highly doubt we have faulty devices. Yet I get the run around and cannot get an answer. We will continue to use and try out the service over the course of the year, as we are receiving a good promo deal. We were also suppose to receive $300 in giftcards over a month ago, to which we have still not seen or heard of as of yet. The rep gave me his name and number and I have called and texted several times only to have my number blocked with no response. I definitely feel like the rep lied to us about the service and the "giftcard" promotion that they were supposedly offering.

Michele Stone Florissant, MO

They appear to believe more about the dollar than the customer. I was in the hospital so didn't pay my bill on time. They charged me a late fee of $9. I didn't realize it and was just ignoring it which in turn was an added late fee, and another. When I tried having it removed I was told I could only be forgiven ONCE A YEAR!! I didn't believe the person and tried the next month. I was charged again! I finally went ballistic and wanted a Supervisor. Again I was told the same story, ONCE A YEARONLY!! I than wanted that person's boss because by then they were charging me late fees on the late fees!!! I was told he was in a meeting. I reiterated I didn't care, because I've been dealing with this problem for months, I'm not well, and this needs to be resolved so I'll wait. Send him a text but I can't keep doing this!! The text was sent and all the late fees removed. FINALLY!!! Furthermore, when you call about a problem it's not fixed and you get the same speech, " We'll give you 100 MEGA bytes (or some such type) so you'll have a better reception." That was what they said about why I had to have U Verse. And the same words roll out every time I complain about how bad it is at night

Rich Wagner Brooksville, FL

I started to experience slower service abount 4 months into the 1 gig unlimited fiber internet from AT&T. Had a service tech come and he claimed that it wouldn't reach 1 gig. So I accepted that I wouldn't have the service they advertised, and after he reset the gateway, the service went up to 250 mbs. About 3 weeks later it had slowed down again: my computer sometimes would only get 40mbs. So with the service call to disconnect, I had to fight to keep from paying an early termination fee of $90.00. I was given the run-around with a couple of dead-end calls until I reached the billing mgr who took care of that. But she told me that it's corporate policy that I wouldn't get a paid-bill-refund since it's mid-billing cycle (I just payed for the month.) So my analogy to her was, "if you lease a car, and it's a lemon, and the dealer won't replace it, wouldn't you get a refund of your balance for the month, and not have any termination fee, as it was the dealer who breached the lease?" All she could say is that it's corporate policy. DON'T GET AT&T INTERNET IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER OPTION! When they don't provide the service that they've promised, then they have a "policy" in place to keep, or steal, as much money as they can for their breach of trust/ service.

Robb Senoia, GA

When it works it’s great. We’ve had att service for around a year. Recently tv freezes, upload/download speeds started slowing down. Made a our FIRST appointment. Scheduled for today July 19 between 8-10. I went back and forth with operators and texting all day. At 4:00 he still had t shown up. Nobody can track him? Really? I asked , “did he even show up for work today”? Nobody knows. Wow. Now 4 days later is the next appointment. Super. So here we are 4 days later. Appointment was from 2-4 nobody showed yet, it’s now 6:30. They tried to call the tech and he’s not answering his phone. They say if he’s on his way here he won’t answer. They work until 8. Ok, more later.

Ramani Bharatam Santa Rosa, CA

I am on a local service that uses the AT&T lines for internet. I am constantly getting drops of service and it is quite annoying. I also live in a small city in the bay area so not sure why this should happen. The price is right, so we keep it.

Andrea Simpson Forney, TX

Recently my business was switched to fiber optic, before that I was a customer for 5 years without any problems. Now with fiber optic, my internet is slower and less reliable. I was assured that would not happen so I’m not sure what is going on.

Fr. Ron Nuzzi Chicago, IL

I have AT&T for home Internet service. It is decent, a little expensive, though very frustrating when there is an outage or technical problem. Typically, it takes a long wait time to get through to an agent. Then, the agent pretty much trains you on how to troubleshoot the problem—rebooting, unplugging, moving the router, rebooting again, recite a few mantras, and hope for the best. I don’t work for AT&T and I do not like to be forced into being an AT&T repair person. So, customer service is bad.

2 years ago Edited July 19, 2022

Fran P.

Have had AT&T from the beginning of internet. However, they are expensive. They provide us 1024 data allowance per month, of which we use less than 40 each month. There is no reduction for light users. Also, had to negotiate to remove "rental" on the internet "box" as we had been paying $4 per month for years; the item had been "Paid" for many times over. Our call allowance is 200 minutes per month. We routinely use less than 10 minutes a month, as my cell phone provider has much better rates, especially international rates.

Wein Rob St. Cloud, FL

Quality of service was not so great and Support can be improved.

Alex Indianapolis, IN

Got symmetrical gigabit fiber. Received symmetrical gigabit bandwidth (within tolerances) 24/7! My biggest problems are with regard to their incentive structure. There are all kinds of hoops to jump through and deadlines to beat if you are to receive those attractive offers. You must in many cases wait weeks for a snail-mailed offer code that is easily lost in transit or tossed as junk mail (which it seemingly deliberately resembles). Customer service has difficulty explaining charges, and the lag in chatting is so severe that you're better off just calling in and waiting. Another complaint is for those who prefer to manage their own firewalls, ports and so on. There is no such thing as bridge mode on the fiber gateways. You're one of 32 nodes, and by definition you're in a double-NAT situation. You can configure IP passthrough, but successfully using this mode will probably require a sophisticated router setup that excludes your typical consumer WIFI router's capabilities. You'll be firing up a mini-PC or similar and configuring PfSense. Fun for me but not for most. The bandwidth and price completely overcome these objections. Just be prepared for some headaches chasing down those juicy Visa cards. I mean, if you want to incentivize me, incentivize me! Stop playing hard-to-get! I am so happy to have left Comcast scumbags. I had AT&T DSL back when it was acceptable and had my ins and outs with them back then too. The Ma Bell curse dies hard, it seems. When you set up new service, get *COMPLETE* details about all of the exciting gift cards in your future, about ancillary charges, and if you're bundling services, don't let them go until you can see all the accounts on your dashboard. Get your accepted quote in writing and be prepared to shove it in their faces when they fail to hold up their end. Snail mail? From a telecom company? Please.

Leola Ailene San Diego, CA

I've had their DSL (Uverse) service for the past 3 years. I live in an apartment complex in a highly populated area in town. These factors affect the available bandwidth when using DSL. That's why they'll promote speeds "up to" XXMbps. Understanding all this, the product is fine. I work from home and it serves me well. Streaming HD movies is where I notice the product lacking. We definitely need more bandwidth to accommodate the increasing needs our entertainment devices require. We pay for the max available in our area. To get improved service, we would need AT&T fiber. Not available yet. In the meantime, we suffer through occassional buffering, but at this point, it's not terrible. I've had to reach out to their customer service a few times. Seriously needs improvement. This goes for both the human and automated support. I'm always immensely frustrated when I seek support.

JK Morgan Converse, TX

The Internet is constantly kicking me off my service. 1000mpb. I was told I have enough broadband for 14 devices. I work from home using the internet. Household of 2. At most my work computer 2 phones and 1 tv are running

Rodrigues Bogan Boiling Springs, SC

I have tried this company internet in the past but do to where I live I had to change companies because reception was bad but I still have the cell phone service it works great 10years strong

Alicia James

AT&T internet and customer service is awful. We had to spend over an hour on the phone every few weeks to "fix" our internet. We were very excited to have a new internet option and leave AT&T.

Carlos M. Hercules, CA

right now, I have att fiber internet at my house. It runs ok, but not the best. maybe I need to jump or upgrade to a higher internet. i havve mutiple items connected at home over the wifi. sometimes streaming on youtube it lags, or when kids are playing on their video it lags also. I would upgrade to a higher service if their plans where cheaper.

Raven Brodsky New York, NY

The service works okay, but the bill pay process was a pain. Setting up auto pay was not as simple as other services I have used and the app for the bill would often forget the cached password, forcing me to go hunt it off the password manager.

Norm W Culver, IN

- I have used At&t's internet service for years, not because it's outstanding but because I'm in an area where DSL only exists as far as I know . It's pricy and often I'm kicked off line and have to restart.After my daughter's experience with Comcast, I would never use it.Select -

Linda Racine, WI

Very mixed. One employee really messed up my email account by switching it to a new email address. The employee who corrected the problem was wonderful. So how do you rate that experience? It’s hard to know when you have slow internet service whether it’s the provider or the computer. AT&T is probably as good as any.

Lara

I am stuck with AT&T because I am using TV/Phone/Internet bundle and no one else is authorized to provide internet in my condo. I am not happy with the internet service I recieve. It could be because on my appartment plan, but I have problem with the internet on and off, pretty much daily.

TOG112

I have used AT&T internet-Uverse. Our other local provider is Cox. Since we largely use the internet for surfing and occasionally for streaming all of our internet experience has been satisfactory. The problem is high fees. AT&T is a little cheaper than Cox and I prefer their cable.

laura k pittman

Terrible internet service,They cant find the problem. even aafter them working on the line for 10 days which we had know internet and landline,which was great for me, it didnt fix anything. The employees are great though very nice

Steven Roswell, GA

We had ATT Uverse but ATT pushed us to switch to DTV since we were having a lot of technical issues and the techs that came to the house couldn't fix them. We have Spectrum now - mainly for faster internet. But DTV is better than Spectrum TV. Spectrum has better Internet service though.

m

internet is super slow and spotty. Dont offer any higher speeds in my location. Also its s frustrating nightmare to try to even set up service. You get a different answer each time you call and no one knows what the other is doing.

Lori Ramsey Campbell, OH

The service is fine. However, the installation and coordination was a nightmare. I was given incorrect information when I signed up and then spoke to another person who assured me that I would not be charged for their error and then was billed the extra $99 and they refused to remove it.

Michael

ATT is pretty good but not always.. i have hard time with them getting the deaf access to what i need. Sometimes they ignored me and charge me more. I feel little limited with the service they give me. I am waiting for my TAP result but not heard yet.

Rayne Storm Cleveland, OH

I seemed to lose signal a lot. If there was a big storm or it was really windy I would either lose service or have bad reception. The customer service wasn't much help because problem was due to weather and not something they can control one lady told me.

Kristi Rice Huntsville, AL

They promise one speed and you get another. They always have some reason why it does not work as promised. Told me I needed a booster, then I had too many devices online, then my neighborhood has too many people on line. Again they did not care that I have super slow service while paying for premium.

Lisa Imes DeMotte, IN

Wasn't the best. Area in which we live it'd rough to get decent internet.

Marion Cushman Columbia, SC

It was exspensive the cell didn't come in every where. Our internet wasn't super fast. The TV wasn't to bad but it went down alot. Now this wasn't yesterday this was some years back & we switched. If you had any problems you had to try & fix it yourself on screen,then as a last resort get on the computer & some one would go through what you just did & then when they see that it can't be fixed they would schedule a technician visit.

Michelle06 Memphis, TN

My service is not the best, there are always outages that have the TV buffering, dropping shows, some I don't even bother to watch because my internet is constantly disconnected. There have been some days whereas, just watch local. ATT is not the best, any time the ATT guy says he has Xfinity, that tells me a lot. At one given time, over the weekend I had to re set my internet so many times i just quit. Switching over to something else. Tired of this set up.

Jude Lb Houston, TX

Not the best nor the worst, but they charge a bit much for only 18 mbps. Knowing I was paying the same for 60 mbps with another company in my previous city, they should charge about half what they do. Since internet it my area is limited, I was basically forced to get theirs. Now that I finally was able to find faster interest for less, I have left them in the dust. Doubt I'll ever go back to AT&T.

M.L.G. San Francisco, CA

I had AT&T DSL for years prior to the pandemic. I also have landline phone service through AT&T. The two services were together. Until, AT&T split them up. Which, was an inconvenience. When, we began working from home; I needed fast internet service for work. AT&T had no way to provide even the minimum speeds needed in the city I live in. That was an added hassle. As, I had to find a company that could.

Carlos A Hidalgo Houston, TX

For the most part, the service has been good. There have been times when the service has dropped even though the weather was good. My biggest disappointment with this company is its lack of expediency. although they continually advertise about "fiber internet", my neighborhood has not been updated. The current speed offered, is hardly capable of meeting my needs both as a user for entertainment and a user for business needs.

Vladimir Holonin Orlando, FL

Good wired internet - best upload speed, never met this fast upload speed before. Also very good support service. But worst Wi-Fi connection! Just worst! I bought two extenders for my house but it's not about extending a signal, it's about the wifi quality. If you don't care about the Wi-Fi, get this internet 100%, if you care about the Wi-Fi, never consider it.

wayne sanders Valley Center, CA

I cant give ATT and 5 star rating because honestly their service for the area where we live is inadequate. I understand living in a rural area presents a few challenges but with the thousands and thousands of customers needing internet service I would think ATT would get with the program and at least upgrade so that people would be able to get at least semi-working internet some of the time.

Sally Albright Crestwood, KY

Honestly, I don't love AT&T internet. Great phone service. I would recommend them for all cellphones. But the in-home internet package I received was painstakingly slow. As a young person, a strong internet connection is essential to existence and AT&T made coding websites and watching Netflix impossible, but the internet, phone, and cable combo was convenient and installation was seamless.

Mark Becker

Their customers service is very bad. Their rates are very high and they charge junk fees to get even more money from you.

Leslie

We’ve been with the company for 17 years. And in that time our bill has gone higher and higher. I know they have good service but their prices are getting ridiculous.

Jeff

I used to like AT&T on account of their service and customer support. Unfortunately the two aspects that led me to AT&T are now having me search for a new provider. btw, I've been with AT&T for over 11 years.

Doug Morgan Blue Springs, MO

It has been reliable for the most part but prices keep increasing and it is ceasing to be worth the price. Will be a lot of effort to change everything but am very much considering it.

JOSE

Spotty service, staff at their office needs more direct training, it needs to be less cheap with entering customers, they need to install seating for thise waiting for service