Global Home Protection

5.1

LAST UPDATED: September 13th, 2022

Global Home Protection (GHP) offers coverage for homeowners directly, as well as specialized coverage for home buyers and sellers through real estate professionals. The company operates in 48 states across the country; everywhere except Alaska, Hawaii, and Washington, D.C.

Customer service and sales can be contacted by phone, email, or an online contact form.

Keep reading for pros and cons, or jump down to read Global Home Protection reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Global Home Protection Plans
  • Coverage for Various Property Types
  • Global Home Protection Service Fee
  • Local Pre-screened Technicians
  • New Customer Perks
  • Workmanship Guarantee
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • 24/7 Claims Department
  • Benefits for Rental Property Owners

Global Home Protection Plans

Global Home Protection offers three basic coverage plans to choose from:

• Major Appliance Plan
  • Major System Plan
  • Diamond Plan

Each plan covers the following appliances and systems:

Major Appliance Plan Major System Plan Diamond Plan
Ceiling fan
Exhaust fan
Garage door opener
Whirlpool bathtub

Each GHP plan can be customized with the following add-on coverage options:

• Pool/spa
  • Central vacuum
  • Limited roof leak
  • Well pump

Coverage for Various Property Types

Global Home Protection provides robust home warranty coverage for homeowners of the following property types:

• Single-family home
  • Condo
  • Townhome
  • Fabricated home/mobile home
  • Duplex
  • Triplex
  • Fourplex
  • Fiveplex

It is unique that GHP offers coverage to this wide array of property types.

Service Fee

Global Home Protection has a service fee starting at $45 — this price is one of the lowest deductibles available in the industry.

Typically, home warranty service call fees start at approximately $40, but can range up to over $100. Some home warranty companies even have a service call fee as high as $150.

Local Pre-screened Technicians

All Global Home Protection technicians are locally based, pre-screened, and licensed, so you don’t have to worry about receiving poor quality service techs who aren’t prepared to correctly service your home’s systems and appliances.

Many home warranty companies make their customers hire their technicians, making it easier for consumers who want a simple process and requiring less effort to reach a solution.

New Customer Perks

If you sign up as a new Global Home Protection customer, you may be eligible for a free month of coverage. The warranty specialist also offers discounted promotions, like its current offering of $200 off for new customers.

Workmanship Guarantee

According to its terms and conditions, Global Home Protection provides the following two workmanship guarantees:

• 30-day workmanship guarantee for labor
  • 90-day workmanship guarantee for parts

If you have an appliance or home system repaired, but the issue recurs, you don't have to pay further service fees for additional work needed on the same covered issue, if it happens within the listed terms.

Money-Back Guarantee

Each contract from Global Home Protection includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. This guarantee is helpful in case you change your mind.

24/7 Claims Department

Customers can submit a claim 24/7 to the Global Home Protection claims department. When something goes wrong, claim submissions are over the phone via the company's 24/7 claims department. Within two business days, an approved service contractor contacts you during standard business hours to make an appointment.

A home warranty provider is not an emergency service hotline. According to GHP's discretion, if you are experiencing an emergency, the company will make efforts to facilitate a response with urgency – within the same day.

In fact, several customer reviews mention same-day or next-day service. Here's an excerpt from a grateful Global Home Protection reviewer:

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jean from Phoenix, Arizona

"It was 100 degrees in Phoenix. I called at 6 am PST and within 3 hours there was a tech outside my house fixing my A/C. Got to spend the rest of the day in an ice-cold home."

Benefits for Rental Property Owners

If you are looking to cover two or more properties with a home warranty policy, Global Home Protection offers discounts for multiple plans under one policyholder.

Additionally, with service from this provider, it's simple to have your tenants or property management submit claims to GHP. A policyholder just needs to have an individual's permission and have them individually on file.

The Bad

• No Online Pricing Information
  • No Service in Alaska or Hawaii
  • No Contractor Flexibility
  • Emphasis on Maintenance
  • Cancellation Fee

No Online Pricing Information

Although Global Home Protection lists its offered packages and the home systems and appliances they cover, it does not provide any pricing information on its corporate website. This lack of detailed cost information makes it difficult to compare GHP’s prices against other home warranty companies.

To receive pricing information about your specific warranty needs, you’ll need to request a quote online or call a customer service representative.

No Service in Alaska or Hawaii

Global Home offers warranty contracts for people in most parts of the United States; however, its coverage area does not include Alaska or Hawaii.

No Contractor Flexibility

Global Home Protection doesn’t allow you to choose your own contractor, and the company won’t reimburse you for repairs you pay to your own contractor/technician. Instead, you must use a GHP contractor from the company’s vetted network.

Emphasis on Maintenance

To maintain coverage for the appliances and systems included in your plan, you need to perform normal maintenance. Global Home Protection defines “normal maintenance” as maintenance completed by a professional once a year.

The company states in its terms and conditions that it "reserves the right to request up to three years worth of maintenance records and/or pictures, and the owner’s inability to provide the same may result in denial of coverage."

Cancellation Fee

If you’d like to cancel your Global Home Protection plan you can either transfer easily to a new company or cancel your plan, dependent on how much time has passed since your order date:

• Before 30 days — You are eligible for a full refund of your contract fees, less any service costs, which most people won't have because of the 30-day waiting period.
  • After 30 days — You are eligible for a prorated refund for the period you have already paid for but hasn't happened yet, less a $75 fee and any service costs incurred by GHP.

If costs incurred by the provider are more than your refund amount, then you will not get a refund. If you have outstanding claims, you are still responsible to pay them. You must cancel in writing, but you can do it with regular mail or email.

The Bottom Line

Global Home Protection appears to be a quality home warranty company with extensive coverage and offerings. It offers three coverage plans with add-on options that can be added to any plan, and customers can choose between month-to-month or annual contracts.

Pricing isn’t published on the company’s website, but you can quickly get a personalized quote. New customers benefit from perks like the $200 discount and one month of free coverage.

Global Home Protection reviews are currently limited, so we are unable to provide an accurate recommendation of this company based on customer sentiment at this time.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

4.1

ripal kaila Thornton, PA

They offer cheap three year diamond plan. I was never able to reach live customer support representative to file a claim. When i had problem with my water heater they asked me to show them maintenance of record. They even do not have technician available in delaware/PA area. I had problem with my Fan and was not able to file a claim. Please do not buy any services from them.

Joe Gardner La Grange, IL

I have been trying to get GHP to fix/replace my washer/dryer for over 2 months now. The wont return my calls or emails and have been extremely hard to deal with. Do NOT purchase a warranty from them

cc

They did not let me know that none of my appliances would be covered by them cause in their terms of agreement it says: 12. GHP is not liable for the repair or replacement of commercial-grade equipment, nor professional series or like appliances such as, but not limited to, Sub Zero, Viking, Wolf, Bosch, Jenn-Air, GE Monogram, Thermador, Miele, Samsung, LG, and other premium brands. I thought that meant commercial grade like it says but it turns out anything made by any of those companies is not covered. After 8 months I had a problem with one and that is when I found out none of my appliances in my house would ever be covered. I also have a plumbing leak one time and they decided over the phone they could not send anyone out to take a look. Be very careful before you work with this company, they have tons of excuses on why they can never help you in any way.

Deb Fontaine Lake Elsinore, CA

*******Buyer Beware******* Do not buy a policy from the company. They do not actually cover anything. Read the fine print! And they will lose your emails to cancel and make you keep calling to verify they receive it and then tell you David M, the cancellation manager will need to call you back when he gets in before they can do anything. They will charge an admin fee to cancel of $ 75.00 plus a cancelation fee of $ 75.00 and they won't explain what the cancelation fee covers. I doubt I will see any refund. They lie. They steal. And they cheat. I don't usually give reviews but I could not help it with this company. I don't want anyone else to be taken advantage of like they have with me. They should be ashamed of themselves. They deserve ZERO stars but unfortunately that is not an option.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hi Deb Fontaine, We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience with us. As discussed with one of our Claims Supervisor, The claim filed for your water heater was denied due to a leak, which unfortunately busted and flooded the garage where the water heater was located. As it is stated in our Terms & Conditions that water heater leaks are NOT covered. 11. Water Heater Included : Components and parts such as Thermostats, burner assembly, couplings, switches, thermocouple, ignition module, heating element, gas igniter, and coupler. Excluded : Solar water heater, lowboy/squat, leaks, and pumps, periodic flushing. You agree in the event GHP authorizes an approved claim for the replacement of a water heater, we reserve the right to choose a tankless water heater as a replacement. In regards to canceling your policy, We apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding you may have experienced while canceling your policy. Typically, all policies can take up to 4-7 business days to be canceled. As discussed, the Claims Supervisor "David Moore" has honored for your policy to be canceled on May 27, 2021, as requested via email. A document with the remaining balance of your policy has been sent and completed by all participants. After, Global Home Protection receives a signed and completed document for your request to cancel your policy, a check will be issued for the remaining balance of your policy within 4-7 business days. When canceling your policy with Global Home Protection all customers are subject to a $75 cancellation fee, and a $75 administrative fee as stated in our Terms & Conditions. J) Cancellation II. You may cancel this Agreement within the first thirty (30) days of the order date for a full refund of the paid contract fees, less any service costs incurred by us. Mutual agreement between us and you. If your agreement is over 1 year you shall be charged a cancellation fee for each year. If this Agreement is canceled after thirty (30) days, you shall be entitled to a pro-rata refund at the standard contract fee rate for the unexpired term, less a $75 administrative fee and a $75 cancellation fee, and any service costs incurred by us. If we have provided services and the amount of the service costs incurred by us is greater than the contract fees paid, then no refund will be due to you. All cancellation requests must be submitted in writing via email or postal mail.

Jun. 15th, 2021

Stan Cozby Marble Falls, TX

I had a contract with Global Home Protection for less than 3 months when my HVAC stopped heating. I called Global and they gave me company name and contact person. I called and set up a time and told him I needed him as soon as possible due to extreme cold weather we were experiencing. He said he could see me in a couple of days. After he didn't show up, I called him and he said he was not an approved contractor for Global. I called Global and said they would find a contractor. I told them due to the extreme cold we were having to just refund my money and I would find someone local who could come that day.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Stan Cozby , We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. According to our records, we see that you spoke to the claims department and the claim department gave you the option to hire your own and file for reimbursement. We strive to serve all our customers with the best possible service.

Mar. 15th, 2021

Orion Smith Geneva, IL

They fixed a problem with our furnace. Make sure on day one that you get their contract. They might not send you one or it might get lost in the mail. But make sure you have one as soon as possible. Read through it and make sure you understand it. I'm glad after 3-4 months when an issue that we are now getting it taken care of.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Orion Smith , We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. According to our records, we see that you spoke to the claims department. In our terms and conditions, we cover mechanical failures. Your unit has a sound-based issue. Our claims department has gone over our terms and conditions with you. If it is something with our agreement. we would help you out. Unfortunately, we don’t cover any sound issues.

Mar. 16th, 2021

Haynes ,

tenant called to report furnace not blowing warm at 3:30pm sunday 1/24/21. Called Global (24hr) line immediately. Only able to leave a message & an email. No response all evening. Went out & bought elec. heaters cuz they have children & we r in Ma. Monday morning after 9am spoke w someone. She said could be 24hrs to hear from someone. I guess 24hrs starts when u actually get to talk to them , not when u first called. It's now Tuesday morn 7am & I have still heard from nobody about this problem that was deemed an Emergerncy. ???????

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Haynes, We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. According to our records we see that you spoke to the claims department and the claim is resolved. You can file a claim on our website . All you have to do is login to your account and submit a claim. This information is sent to the claims department who will reach out within 24 hours.

Mar. 15th, 2021