Global Home Protection

4.1

Global Home Protection (GHP) is a home warranty company operating in 48 states across the country; everywhere except Alaska, Hawaii, and Washington, D.C. This warranty company offers coverage for homeowners directly, as well as specialized coverage for home buyers, and sellers through real estate professionals. It provides robust home warranty coverage, available to owners of the following property types:

• Single-family home
  • Condo
  • Townhome
  • Fabricated home/mobile home
  • Duplex
  • Triplex
  • Fourplex
  • Fiveplex

No long-term contracts are needed. Monthly and annual billing cycles are available.

How does the claims process work?

When something goes wrong, claim submissions are over the phone via the company's 24/7 claims department. Within two business days, an approved service contractor contacts you during standard business hours to make an appointment.

What about an emergency?

A home warranty provider is not an emergency service hotline. According to GHP's discretion, if you are experiencing an emergency, the company will make efforts to facilitate a response with urgency.

However, Global Home has a loftier goal for its customers. When speaking about the peace of mind that the company's home warranties offer, it says, "Rest assured that Global Home Protection will cover all the major systems and appliances for repair or replacement and will send out a licensed contractor to your home THE SAME DAY!"

In fact, several customer reviews mention same-day or next-day service. Here's an excerpt from a grateful Global Home Protection reviewer:

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jean from Phoenix, Arizona

"It was 100 degrees in Phoenix. I called at 6 am PST and within 3 hours there was a tech outside my house fixing my A/C. Got to spend the rest of the day in an ice-cold home."

Can you use your own contractor?

No. Global Home has the right to choose for you and will not reimburse you for repairs you pay to a provider without prior approval. Global Home Protection contractors are vetted and must meet state requirements, which include things like liability insurance, auto insurance, and proper trade licensing.

Customer service and sales can be contacted by phone, email, or an online contact form.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of working with Global Home Protection or skip straight to reading consumer reviews

The Good

• Multiple Plans Available
  • Local Pre-Screened Technicians
  • New Customer Perks
  • Low $45 Service Call Fee
  • Workmanship Guarantee
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • 24/7 Claims Department
  • Benefits for Rental Property Owners
  • Informative Blog

Multiple Plans Available

As with most providers in the industry, Global Home Protection offers three basic coverage plans to choose from, one that covers systems, one that covers appliances, and a comprehensive plan that covers both. This model often shows a large discount for buying more home warranty coverage in bulk, and that is true of this company as well.

• Major Appliances Plan — $399.99–$499.99 per year
  • Major Systems Plan — $349.99–$449.99 per year
  • Diamond Plan — $499.99–$699.99 per year

Subscribers to the GHP Diamond also get coverage for three extras, including the garage door opener, which commonly makes a regular list.

Customize your warranty with Global Home Protection. As with most home warranty companies, consumers have the opportunity to customize their coverage with add-on policies. Here are some examples that people will see with GHP, depending on availability:

• Central vacuum
  • Sump pump
  • Water softener
  • Well pump

Local Pre-Screened Technicians

All Global Home Protection technicians are locally based,pre-screened, and licensed, so you don’t have to worry about receiving poor quality service techs who aren’t prepared to correctly service your home’s systems and appliances.

Many home warranty companies make their customers hire their technicians, making it easier for consumers who want a simple process and requiring less effort to reach a solution.

New Customer Perks

If you sign up as a new GHP customer, you may be eligible for a free month of coverage. The warranty specialist also offers discounted promotions, like its current offering of $200 off for new customers.

Low $45 Service Call Fee

Service call fees are payable each time a service pro comes over to diagnose an item, whether it ends up being covered or not.

With Global Home Protection, the service call fee starts at just $45. This price is one of the lower deductibles available in the industry. Through our research, we have found that most companies' service call fees start at about $40 on the low end, but range up to over $100 on the high end. We have even seen competitors with a standard $150 service call fee.

Workmanship Guarantee

According to the GHP terms and conditions, workmanship guarantees are 30 days for labor and 90 days for parts. If you have an appliance or home system repaired, but the issue recurs, you don't have to pay further service fees for additional work needed on the same covered issue, if it happens within the listed terms.

Money-Back Guarantee

Each contract from Global Home Protection includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. This guarantee is helpful in case you change your mind.

24/7 Claims Department

Customers can submit a claim 24/7 to the GHP claims department.

Benefits for Rental Property Owners

If you are looking to cover two or more properties with a home warranty policy, Global Home Protection offers discounts.

Additionally, with service from this provider, it's simple to have your tenants or property management submit claims to GHP. A policyholder just has to get an individual's permission and have them individually on file.

Informative Blog

Both new and experienced homeowners should take advantage of Global Home Protection's blog. In fact, the blog has hundreds of articles covering nearly every home-related topic. If you're looking to purchase a new home, you may want to read Global Home Protection's Real Estate Market Guide or the article about tips and tricks for new homeowners.

If you've been a homeowner for years and are all settled in, you may want to check out a maintenance guide for one of your major appliances (like your microwave, swamp cooler, or water heater) or the article on how to save money while on vacation. Whatever the case, there is a blog article for everyone and it's completely free.

The Bad

• No Online Pricing Information
  • No Service in Alaska or Hawaii
  • 30-Day Waiting Period
  • Emphasis on Maintenance
  • Cancellation Fee

No Online Pricing Information

Although Global Home Protection lists its offered packages and the home systems and appliances they cover, it does not provide any pricing information on its corporate website, other than mentioning coverage starts at about $1 per day. This lack of detailed cost information makes it difficult to compare Global Home Protection’s prices against other home warranty companies.

To receive pricing information about your specific warranty needs, you’ll need to request a quote online or call a customer service representative.

Annual pricing is disclosed in the company’s Google profile. The company should consider disclosing other important information that customers want to know, including the following:

• Monthly rates
  • Pricing differences for houses over 5,000 feet
  • Pricing for the special optional coverage
  •  What affects the service call rate

No Service in Alaska or Hawaii

Global Home offers warranty contracts for people in most parts of the United States; however, its coverage area does not include Alaska or Hawaii.

30-Day Waiting Period

When you purchase a home warranty policy from this company, your coverage only starts after a 30-day wait period. However, if you previously were covered by a home warranty policy, you may be able to cut the waiting period. You may need to provide proof of prior coverage, with no lapse between your old contract and your new one.

To be eligible, you must provide this proof of prior coverage (with a reputable provider) within seven days of ordering a Global Home Protection Policy.

The policy doesn't cover any pre-existing conditions, whether you knew about them or not. The company explains: "During the first 30 days of the Coverage Period (as described in Section B above), GHP is not liable for replacement of entire systems or appliances, or replacement of boards, pumps, compressors, and motors as applies to any covered system or appliance."

Emphasis on Maintenance

Many things can void a home warranty policy; poor maintenance is a primary culprit.

For your covered items to be "covered," you need to perform normal maintenance. In this case, the company defines that as maintenance once a year by a professional.

The company states in its terms and conditions that it "reserves the right to request up to three (3) years worth of maintenance records and/or pictures, and the owner’s inability to provide the same may result in denial of coverage."

Cancellation Fee

You can transfer to a new owner easily, at any time, but what if you just want to cancel your warranty contract?

The answer depends on how much time has elapsed since your order date.

• Before 30 days — You are eligible for a full refund of your contract fees, less any service costs, which most people won't have because of the 30-day waiting period.
  • After 30 days — You are eligible for a prorated refund for the period you have already paid for but hasn't happened yet, less a $75 fee, and any service costs incurred by GHP.

If costs incurred by the provider are more than your refund amount, then you will not get a refund. If you have outstanding claims, you are still responsible to pay them. You must cancel in writing, but you can do it with regular mail or email.

The Bottom Line

Global Home Protection seems to be a quality home warranty company with extensive coverage and offerings. It offers three plans, with bonus features on the third combo plan (Diamond).

Customers can customize with add-on policies and choose between month-to-month or annual contracts. Be aware that you’ll have to contact GHP for a personalized quote. New customers benefit from perks like the $200 discount + one month of free coverage

If you end up selling your home in the meantime, you can quickly transfer your policy for free; however, if you have a long-term contract rather than a monthly one, you will be subject to a $75 admin fee, deducted from your refund.

Look at Global Home Protection reviews below to see what real customers have to say about the home warranty provider.

Call our recommended rep over at Global Home Protection below.

Dayanara Fuentes Las Vegas, NV

I had an issue with my air conditioner. I filed a claim online and the technician came first time in the following morning. He was friendly, very competent and knowledgeable. The job was completed very quickly. I recommend GHP to all my friends.

Claire.M San Francisco, CA

I purchased a 5 year plan. 3 months after purchase I called to get my washer repaired. After some minor issues the repair was completed. Jessica from the claims department connected me with a technician . I appreciate the great service.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hi Claire.M Thank you for your kind review! We at Global Home Protection strive every day to provide our customers with great customer service satisfaction.

Jun. 15th, 2021

Deb Fontaine Lake Elsinore, CA

*******Buyer Beware******* Do not buy a policy from the company. They do not actually cover anything. Read the fine print! And they will lose your emails to cancel and make you keep calling to verify they receive it and then tell you David M, the cancellation manager will need to call you back when he gets in before they can do anything. They will charge an admin fee to cancel of $ 75.00 plus a cancelation fee of $ 75.00 and they won't explain what the cancelation fee covers. I doubt I will see any refund. They lie. They steal. And they cheat. I don't usually give reviews but I could not help it with this company. I don't want anyone else to be taken advantage of like they have with me. They should be ashamed of themselves. They deserve ZERO stars but unfortunately that is not an option.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hi Deb Fontaine, We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience with us. As discussed with one of our Claims Supervisor, The claim filed for your water heater was denied due to a leak, which unfortunately busted and flooded the garage where the water heater was located. As it is stated in our Terms & Conditions that water heater leaks are NOT covered. 11. Water Heater Included : Components and parts such as Thermostats, burner assembly, couplings, switches, thermocouple, ignition module, heating element, gas igniter, and coupler. Excluded : Solar water heater, lowboy/squat, leaks, and pumps, periodic flushing. You agree in the event GHP authorizes an approved claim for the replacement of a water heater, we reserve the right to choose a tankless water heater as a replacement. In regards to canceling your policy, We apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding you may have experienced while canceling your policy. Typically, all policies can take up to 4-7 business days to be canceled. As discussed, the Claims Supervisor "David Moore" has honored for your policy to be canceled on May 27, 2021, as requested via email. A document with the remaining balance of your policy has been sent and completed by all participants. After, Global Home Protection receives a signed and completed document for your request to cancel your policy, a check will be issued for the remaining balance of your policy within 4-7 business days. When canceling your policy with Global Home Protection all customers are subject to a $75 cancellation fee, and a $75 administrative fee as stated in our Terms & Conditions. J) Cancellation II. You may cancel this Agreement within the first thirty (30) days of the order date for a full refund of the paid contract fees, less any service costs incurred by us. Mutual agreement between us and you. If your agreement is over 1 year you shall be charged a cancellation fee for each year. If this Agreement is canceled after thirty (30) days, you shall be entitled to a pro-rata refund at the standard contract fee rate for the unexpired term, less a $75 administrative fee and a $75 cancellation fee, and any service costs incurred by us. If we have provided services and the amount of the service costs incurred by us is greater than the contract fees paid, then no refund will be due to you. All cancellation requests must be submitted in writing via email or postal mail.

Jun. 15th, 2021

Mehta.B Philadelphia, PA

This company really goes above and beyond to help you out. I became a policy owner a few months ago. My water heater was not working in the dead of winter. I called early in the morning and same day I had a tech come to my house. It was a big issue but the tech was able to fix it that week. I tell all my friends about global home protection. I appreciate the service.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Mehta, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection to help protect what's most important to YOU - your family and the house your family calls home, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Jun. 18th, 2020

TashaM Phoenix, AZ

I filed 2 claims recently. Derek and Steve in the claims dept are very friendly and know a lot about Appliance and System failures. I had a problem with my water heater a month ago. The water would only stay warm only for 1 minute. I called that morning. Steve quickly sent a contractor within 3 hours of calling. The contractor looked at my water heater and told me the issue is with the heating element. The problem was resolved within 2 days. Thanks Global Home Protection.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Tasha, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Orion Smith Geneva, IL

They fixed a problem with our furnace. Make sure on day one that you get their contract. They might not send you one or it might get lost in the mail. But make sure you have one as soon as possible. Read through it and make sure you understand it. I'm glad after 3-4 months when an issue that we are now getting it taken care of.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Orion Smith , We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. According to our records, we see that you spoke to the claims department. In our terms and conditions, we cover mechanical failures. Your unit has a sound-based issue. Our claims department has gone over our terms and conditions with you. If it is something with our agreement. we would help you out. Unfortunately, we don’t cover any sound issues.

Mar. 16th, 2021

Stan Cozby Marble Falls, TX

I had a contract with Global Home Protection for less than 3 months when my HVAC stopped heating. I called Global and they gave me company name and contact person. I called and set up a time and told him I needed him as soon as possible due to extreme cold weather we were experiencing. He said he could see me in a couple of days. After he didn't show up, I called him and he said he was not an approved contractor for Global. I called Global and said they would find a contractor. I told them due to the extreme cold we were having to just refund my money and I would find someone local who could come that day.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Stan Cozby , We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. According to our records, we see that you spoke to the claims department and the claim department gave you the option to hire your own and file for reimbursement. We strive to serve all our customers with the best possible service.

Mar. 15th, 2021

GargiuloC Boston, MA

This is my first time using a home warranty company. Global Home Protection is great at resolving problems. I had problem with my ductwork not too long ago. I spoke to the claims dept. They connected me to a great technician who fixed the problem within 2 days. Thanks

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Gargiulo , Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Mar. 2nd, 2020

Aisha.Prakash Secaucus, NJ

Highly recommend Global Home Protection! Our Furnace went out and it’s very cold in jersey. They promptly got a top rated local Heating company that came out and fixed it in 2 hours. We were so grateful to be nice and toasty again! We are thankful we went with Global Home Protection.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Aisha, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Eugene Tuberman New York, NY

Last month both my garbage disposal and dishwasher went out. I didn't know if I needed a plumber or appliance guy due to the water on my floor. I called Global Home Protection. They sent an appliance tech diagnosed the problem and fixed my disposal and dishwasher within 1 day of calling about my claim. Thank you so much.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Eugene Tuberman, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

Gloria J Buffalo, NY

They were just so fantastic!!! I rang them up them on Monday Morning when my heater received faulty issues. They managed to get a company out same day. The problem was solved quickly. I can’t thank Global Home Protection enough.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Gloria J, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

GNocera Parsippany, NJ

My stove burner wasn't working properly for a few days. I called Global Home Protection to put in a claim. They have a tech out within a day . The tech answered my questions and was able to locate a new part. Thanks Global Home Protection.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Giuseppe, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Feb. 3rd, 2020

jaxgarrett85 Los Angeles, CA

We recently had sewage backing into our house and slow drains. We called Global Home Protection and they arranged for a plumber to come out that day. Everything was fixed in 2 days. We were so happy to be able to live in a house with clear drains again. Thanks Global Home Protection .

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Jaxgarrett85, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

Haynes ,

tenant called to report furnace not blowing warm at 3:30pm sunday 1/24/21. Called Global (24hr) line immediately. Only able to leave a message & an email. No response all evening. Went out & bought elec. heaters cuz they have children & we r in Ma. Monday morning after 9am spoke w someone. She said could be 24hrs to hear from someone. I guess 24hrs starts when u actually get to talk to them , not when u first called. It's now Tuesday morn 7am & I have still heard from nobody about this problem that was deemed an Emergerncy. ???????

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Haynes, We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. According to our records we see that you spoke to the claims department and the claim is resolved. You can file a claim on our website . All you have to do is login to your account and submit a claim. This information is sent to the claims department who will reach out within 24 hours.

Mar. 15th, 2021

Judy.G Atlanta, GA

I filed a claim for my furnace recently.  I was dealing with a very cold home . My issue started early friday morning. I called the claims department and they sent a technician.They were able to fix my furnace same day . Thank you Global Home Protection.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Judy, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection to help protect what's most important to YOU - your family and the house your family calls home, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

May. 31st, 2020

Kane.Ashley New York, NY

My dishwasher was overflowing. I called Global Home Protection they sent an appliance contractor to check my dishwasher and replaced the broken part. I am very pleased with the service. I will be recommending Global Home Protection to anyone in need of a great home warranty company.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Ashley, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Jen B Atlanta, GA

My second refrigerator wasn't cooling and they sent a technician out the same day. Gary was great and took care of the issue efficiently. I highly recommend this company to everyone. Thank you!

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Jen, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

MargotR Las Vegas, NV

The global home protection claims dept was courteous and were able to send a contractor within 4 hours. My refrigerator issue had something to do with the temperature control . My freezer was warm yet my fridge was freezing my food. The contractor answered my questions and completed the job in a timely manner.

GalanisP Denver, CO

I woke up on a cold night . Noticed my water heater having problems. I called global home protection. The claims rep answered my questions and quickly sent a tech. The problem was resolved that week thanks.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Galanis P, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

winstonrobinson1 Charlotte, NC

Global Home Protection is a good home warranty. They took care of my heater . It was a few days before the first frost of the season. I called them up and the problem was taken care that week. Thanks GHP.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Winston, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Jan. 22nd, 2020

Jean Blessit Phoenix, AZ

I couldn't be happier with my service. It was 100 degrees in Phoenix. I called 6am pst and within 3 hours there was a tech outside my house fixing my ac. Got to spend the rest of the day in a ice cold home . Thx so much.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Jean, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

Jan. 16th, 2020

Robert Grant Camden, NJ

The ceiling was leaking . It leaked into my son's bedroom . I called GHP early that day and within less than 2 hours we got in touch with a tech who came out to fix the problem.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Robert, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

Sue.P Los Angeles, CA

I needed a pool pump repair. A contractor arrived the same day. They ordered the part. Within 2 days they came back to install it. Everything is so fast and efficient.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Sue, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

TeresaR Atlanta, GA

Great service, so happy with their fast and efficient service. They’re a must have for a care free solution when your appliances or systems break down on you. Extremely happy with Global Home Protection.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Teresa, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

Feb. 21st, 2020

Aleksey G Henderson, NV

They are the best. Their technicians were able to explain what was wrong with my ac. They helped me with my ac on the first day of coverage. Thank you Global Home Protection.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Aleksey, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

Jan. 14th, 2020

Esther Sasson Miami Beach, FL

I have been a customer with Global Home Protection for a few months. It is worth every penny. They had a tech in my home the same day and fixed my leaking dishwasher.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Esther, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!

James Giordano Beverly Hills, CA

No hassle just call or email and I have a technician at my home to fix the problem. They helped me replace my refrigerator .

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello James, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service!

Jan. 16th, 2020

Ophelia Moyer Dallas, TX

My first experience with a home warranty company. I am impressed with the coverage and service.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Thank you Ophelia. We are here to serve all our customers with the best of our abilities.

Jan. 8th, 2020

Greg Cohen Great Neck, NY

Great customer service and professional service technicians.

Reply from Global Home Protection

Hello Greg, Thank you for choosing Global Home Protection, We strive to make your life easier and we are glad to be of service. Global Home Protection is here for you and your family!