State Farm Logo

State Farm

9.6

LAST UPDATED: August 16th, 2021

State Farm has a reputation for quality and reliability in the insurance industry. Its home insurance is no exception. It offers competitive coverage, covers many types of homes, and has earned high customer ratings on BestCompany.com.

Read State Farm Home Insurance Reviews

State Farm is also invested in the communities it serves. The company offers grants and its employees volunteer. When disaster strikes, individuals and communities are impacted. State Farm's investment in communities even when things are good emphasize its concern for its clients.

If you need another type of insurance product, State Farm also offers life insurance, auto insurance, and renters insurance.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Competitive Coverage
  • Additional Homes Covered

Positive Customer Reviews

Of its reviews on BestCompany.com, State Farm has received a high proportion of 5-star reviews. These ratings speak to State Farm's quality, value, and customer satisfaction. Such high ratings are a good sign that the insurance provider treats its customers well.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Eddie Rios from Ogden, Utah

"Having had State Farm as my home insurer has been the best decision of my life - in terms of insurance. They cover all contingencies for a modest premium. They sell peace of mind and they look after your policy to ensure it grows with your family. State Farm agents are as expert as they come. Can't be beat. I've tried to find better, but found that State Farm runs circles around the competition."

As you work with State Farm, be sure to understand how your policy works, what it covers, and what it doesn't to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Competitive Coverage

When you work with State Farm, you'll start by looking at what it would cost to replace your home to determine your coverage level. Getting replacement cost coverage in your insurance policy, will protect your home if the worst were to happen.

Your State Farm policy will also protect keepsakes, hobby equipment, and home and garden features from nature, random acts, and other threats with some exceptions.

The coverage offered by State Farm is competitive with the industry, so you can be confident when considering a policy from the insurer.

Additional Homes Covered

You can also purchase condo, farm or ranch, manufactured home, and renters insurance from State Farm. Whatever home is for you, you can find reliable insurance coverage through State Farm.

The Bad

• Fewer Discounts Available
  • Clear Limitations
  • Limited Financial Strength Information

Fewer Discounts Available

State Farm offers fewer discounts on insurance premiums compared to some of its competitor homeowners insurance companies. However, it still offers some nice discounts, including a multi-line discount, home alert protection, and roof materials and quality.

You can also opt for a higher deductible for lower rates on your homeowners insurance policy. While it would be nice to have more discount opportunities, State Farm offers some key discounts to help clients save while delivering quality services.

Clear Limitations

Most home insurance policies have limitations. State Farm makes its policy limitations clear on its website. These limitations include money, business property, watercraft, trailers, firearm theft, silverware and goldware theft, computers and data processing equipment, and rug and tapestry theft.

State Farm home insurance also does not offer protection in certain scenarios, including flood, underground water, earthquakes, mudslides, settling, deterioration, contamination, nuclear hazard. If you're home is damaged in any of these situations, you won't be able to make an insurance claim.

While it would be nice to not have any limitations, they are common for the industry and State Farm makes them clear from the initial research stage.

Limited Financial Strength Information

It's difficult to find State Farm's financial strength information online for its homeowners insurance policies. While this is concerning, State Farm does have high financial strength ratings for its auto and life insurance companies.

Financial strength ratings indicate an insurance company's financial stability and likelihood to be able to meet its claims obligations. High financial strength ratings are an important indicator of a good insurer.

To be fully confident when buying home insurance from State Farm, be sure to ask your State Farm agent specifically about its financial strength related to its homeowners insurance.

The Bottom Line

State Farm is a recommended home insurance company because of the praise it has received from reviewers on BestCompany.com.

The insurer also has a strong reputation for dependability and quality developed through many years of industry experience. However, you should ask your insurance agent about its financial strength for home insurance before applying for and buying a policy.

State Farm offers good coverage options for a variety of homes, which makes it easy to have your insurance needs met.

Although you'll find fewer discounts for insurance cost on State Farm homeowners insurance than with some of its competitors, State Farm is a great insurer to choose. You'll be clear on the terms of your policy and what it covers under which circumstances, which will give you peace of mind and clarity.

Call our recommended rep over at State Farm below.

Toni Montuori

I carry State Farm as a bundle which includes my home and I could not be happier with them. When I had water damage to my roof I filed my first ever claim I was immediately relieved from all my worries. They were prompt, understanding, compassionate informative and they had an estimator out fast. Repair work was scheduled and checks were issued on time and without issue. I could not have been happier with the insurance company!

courtney tennant Salem, VA

StateFarm matched our quote from another agency and got us coverage on things that we needed when we bought our new house.

Mike Halliday ,

When my wife, kids and I moved From one state to another, our moving truck was in an accident. All of our furniture and most personal belongings were lost or damaged beyond use. Our State Farm agent helped us submit a claim and we were able to furnish our new house, which brought a great deal of piece of mind. Thank you SF!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Kaleb Herbert Gilbert, AZ

I have been with State Farm for 20 years. The rates and service are second to none. They are courteous and it has been great working with an agent that really does support and help if anything goes wrong. You really know you are with the right company after experiencing their support after an accident. We have never had to file a homeowners claim, but many times have called are agent to determine if we should file and he always gives us the honest answer.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

My State Farm agents have been wonderful. Their service is solid. They return phone calls promptly. They provide options and help you to find ways to save on premiums. They provide discounts for multiple policy types. When you do have a claim, they are very helpful in getting the situation resolved. Rates don't climb because you had to use your insurance.

Aaron Las Vegas, NV

Friendly staff. Never had an issue with any claims or bills & they gave me solid free advice on insurance situations that were more in sync with what was best for me than what would make them the most money.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

My father-in-law was and agent with State Farm for nearly 30 years and we had our car and home insurance with State Farm for many years. It was a very good experience made all the better by him and his staff who gave us exceptional service. I think a lot depends on your agent.

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

State Farm has insured both of our homes. I can sleep easy at night knowing that my home and belongings are covered with State Farm. The cost and customer service are beyond my expectations and although I have never faced a disaster I know that I am well taken care of with State Farm.

Megan Rigby

When our water heater went out and water leaked through the walls, carpet and required repairs, State Farm stepped up and handled everything. It was such a smooth process and took a lot of the stress away associated with such an event.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

State Farm has provided excellent insurance with great customer service. They are always quick to answer my questions and offer unparalleled hospitality. I have been using Sate Farm for many years and plan to keep their great services.

Angie L Hanzel Saratoga Springs, UT

I have been with State Farm for over 10 years. They have been amazing to work with. They check in with me once a year to review my policy and make sure I am getting the best rates possible. I am confidant if a problem came up they would handle my problem fairly and quickly. This past year I also wanted to shop around and make sure I was getting the best rate possible. After contacting several insurance companies, State Farm was by far the best out there for what they could offer. I have been extremely satisfied with their service and plan on keeping them for many more years to come.

Evergreen Phoenix, AZ

ensured my house with a suitable amount for my budget, thanks to my agent that helped me with that!

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

State Farm has always been my go to for home insurance. They continually have the lowest rates and the best coverage for the price.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

DO NOT GET STATE FARM! We had State Farm for 6 months before switching over. Each month our bill was a different total and the cost would often fluctuate for no known reason. After talking with friends and family this was the case for all of them as well. The customer service was not good either. Sometimes we would get a helpful agent, but most of the time they gave little help and vague answers. Never could they explain why the bill fluctuated so much. After shopping around, we found that their prices were much higher than nearly every other competitor. They sent a lot of paperwork and it was an unnecessarily complicated process to both get signed up and to cancel service.

Lilly Logan, UT

I love this insurance. They have been by for the most receptive insurance I’ve ever had when I needed to make a claim. Plus our agent & his staff are stellar!

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Statefarm insures our home. I love the customer service we receive and the competitive pricing. We receive a full pay discount. I know that my agent is there to support us if we have questions. We trust Statefarm.

edward reese Hyattsville, MD

Best part of home insurance is to hope the price is right and that you never have to use it. but if you do your company has to be trustworthy and State farm has always had trust and provides a quick response to issues.

Adam Daugherty Tempe, AZ

I use State Farm for my renters insurance. It was a pretty easy process getting the coverage and the rates are pretty good. I have not had to use it yet thank goodness but I feel if I did I would be in good hands.

Cayla Koga Fremont, CA

I have State Farm as my insurance provider and I have never had a bad experience with them. They have superior customer service, if I have to file a claim- they're very attentive, when I need to change some info on my account they are very patient.

Preston Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

State Farm has been helpful with me fixing and figuring out what the problem is, whenever I call them theyre very kind in getting to the point and accomplishing the task that is at hand.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used State Farm for Home Insurance and also for renter's insurance during the times we didn't own our home. We were always really well pleased with the coverage as well as the customer service.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

Our home is insured by State Farm and has been for many years. We enjoy our representative because he helps answer our questions and we even have his personal number to contact anytime day or night.

Becky Rasmussen American Fork, UT

Hassle free customer service, availability of a local brick and mortar insurance agent, strong financial viability, a name that you can trust. Great multiple policy discounts available for auto/homeowners.

Tyler Williams Gilbert, AZ

I used State Farm for my vehicles, Home and financing back in PA. I was very pleased with custom service and my reps quick responses to my questions. Rates were good too. I didn't feel the need to shop around.

Maria West Valley City, UT

I currently have State Farm and the company is awesome every time I have a concern they resolve the issue and concern. Have referred my fam and friends to them

Swedish_queen Cheyenne, WY

State Farm is an excellent insurance company. Ive had them for years for years! Everytime I've had an issue I just call them and they do everything in their power to fix it!

Jennifer Encarnacion San Diego, CA

I have my apartment insurance with State Farm. Hadn't had to use it but it was a breeze adding me onto the apartment insurance. And it was cheap I think it's only like $12 a month to insure all my stuff.

PolyanaL Salt Lake City, UT

I will not go back to State farm, I was with them for several years until i got into a car wreck and they spiked up my premium how ever the accident wasnt my fault. Ever since then, when ever i call customer service, they dont value me as a client

Rashida Laumatia Saint George, UT

When my house flooded due to plumbing, not only did they put my family up in a hotel, they covered all the damges. Love the customer service and how helpful they were.

Haidyn Houtz South Jordan, UT

I loved working with State Farm! They were so helpful and they really cater to my needs. They made me feel like a family and not just someone to get money from.

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

We never had to file a claim, but I have contacted customer service several times with questions about my policy. They were always very helpful and professional.

Trent Provo, UT

I have renters insurance through them and it is very affordable and easy to work with. My agent is great, and always available to help out or answer questions.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

They have great insurance that is a little expensive, but very comprehensive and well respected everywhere. I have had claims and it is a very easy process.

ben Iowa City, IA

Competitive rates. Never has any problems with service. My agent has been helpful in canceling service lines no longer required.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

State Farm home insurance puts my mind at ease as they are very trustworthy and will stand behind everything they sell.

Kimberley Hirt Buena Vista, VA

We found State Farm to have excellent rates and personal customer service. I would definitely recommend this company.

Jess Root Gilbert, AZ

We never had to file a claim, but it provided the coverage we needed. It did, though consistently increase in rates over the years.

Sadie Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

State Farm customer service is great, but I feel like their policies are very overpriced compared to other companies that I’ve used

Schon Smithfield, UT

I have State Farm for most of my insurances. My agent is a family friend and has always taken care of our needs.

Chris Wootton Ogden, UT

They are a good solid company and they take care of their customers.

Rachel B Eagle Mountain, UT

I recently moved to State Farm, and even though the rates were higher than I’d like, my agent is great!

K Robison Layton, UT

Good insurance and a helpful staff. They have each customer's best interest at heart.

Matthew Driggs Salt Lake City, UT

Have had State Farm for over 20 years. Never had a problem. Great to work with.

Jorden Laird Front Royal, VA

my agent always looked out for me and made sure I had the best rates for me and my budget

Shanna South Jordan, UT

We love our agent. This company is easy to work with and has great rates

James Nelson Falls Church, VA

It's been great working with them. They are extremely responsive to my needs!

Tilda Saint George, UT

Fast, affordable, and ALWAYS on top of things.

Sandra Jensen American Fork, UT

Very pleased. Great customer service. Very helpful.

Bella Houtz South Jordan, UT

State Farm is a reliable home insurance and is affordable.