State Farm

State Farm Logo

9.6

State Farm

State Farm was founded in 1922 by George Jacob "G.J." Mecherle and is one of the most widely used insurance providers. They offer customers nearly 100 different products and services, including auto and home insurance. In addition to insurance policies, they also offer banking and other financial services. State Farm is an advocate for public safety and is involved in efforts to build strong communities. They have over 18,000 agents across the United States.

The Bad

• Limited Discounts
  • Captive Agents

Limited Discounts

State Farm is transparent about their home insurance discounts; however, compared with competitors they offer relatively few discounts. State Farm's discounts are limited to customers who purchase multiple insurance policies, use certain safety features, and use specific roofing products.

Captive Agents

State Farm hires captive insurance agents. These agents sell exclusively for State Farm and will not help customers explore outside options. As a result, customers may need to receive quotes from other companies to ensure that they are receiving the best deal.

The Bottom Line

State Farm is a large and popular insurance company. They offer a large collection of accessible and useful tools and resources. We recognize their website as a great resource for information, and State Farm may be a great fit for many homeowners; however, we also recommend receiving quotes from other companies to ensure that customers receive the best prices.

Tyler Williams
July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I used State Farm for my vehicles, Home and financing back in PA. I was very pleased with custom service and my reps quick responses to my questions. Rates were good too. I didn't feel the need to shop around.

Kaleb Herbert
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I have been with State Farm for 20 years. The rates and service are second to none. They are courteous and it has been great working with an agent that really does support and help if anything goes wrong. You really know you are with the right company after experiencing their support after an accident. We have never had to file a homeowners claim, but many times have called are agent to determine if we should file and he always gives us the honest answer.

Jess Root
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We never had to file a claim, but it provided the coverage we needed. It did, though consistently increase in rates over the years.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

They have great insurance that is a little expensive, but very comprehensive and well respected everywhere. I have had claims and it is a very easy process.

Bella Houtz
June 11th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

State Farm is a reliable home insurance and is affordable.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

State Farm customer service is great, but I feel like their policies are very overpriced compared to other companies that I’ve used

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We never had to file a claim, but I have contacted customer service several times with questions about my policy. They were always very helpful and professional.

K Robison
April 30th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Good insurance and a helpful staff. They have each customer's best interest at heart.

Schon
April 30th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

I have State Farm for most of my insurances. My agent is a family friend and has always taken care of our needs.

Trent Palmer
April 10th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have renters insurance through them and it is very affordable and easy to work with. My agent is great, and always available to help out or answer questions.

Charlotte Ash
December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

We have had State Farm for many year. They have been good to help us with our claims. They have help us get our cars towed and fixed in remote areas.

Dale Ash
December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

My State Farm agents have been wonderful. Their service is solid. They return phone calls promptly. They provide options and help you to find ways to save on premiums. They provide discounts for multiple policy types. When you do have a claim, they are very helpful in getting the situation resolved. Rates don't climb because you had to use your insurance.

Chris Wootton
December 18th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

They are a good solid company and they take care of their customers.

Megan Rigby
December 12th, 2017 DETAILS

When our water heater went out and water leaked through the walls, carpet and required repairs, State Farm stepped up and handled everything. It was such a smooth process and took a lot of the stress away associated with such an event.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 5th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

DO NOT GET STATE FARM! We had State Farm for 6 months before switching over. Each month our bill was a different total and the cost would often fluctuate for no known reason. After talking with friends and family this was the case for all of them as well. The customer service was not good either. Sometimes we would get a helpful agent, but most of the time they gave little help and vague answers. Never could they explain why the bill fluctuated so much. After shopping around, we found that their prices were much higher than nearly every other competitor. They sent a lot of paperwork and it was an unnecessarily complicated process to both get signed up and to cancel service.