Founded in 1922 and based in Bloomington, IL, State Farm specializes in banking and other financial services in addition to insurance products. State Farm offers insurance for homeowners and renters nationwide.

The Good

• Variety of Policy Types
  • Home Insurance Coverage
  • Convenience

Variety of Policy Types

In addition to standard homeowners insurance policies, State Farm offers the following policy types:

• Condo unit owners insurance
  • Renters insurance
  • Rental property insurance
  • Manufactured home insurance
  • Farm and ranch insurance

Home Insurance Coverage

Coverage options include the following:

• Weather—storms, fire, wind, hail, lightning, freezing of a plumbing system, weight of ice, snow, or sleet
  • Accidental Direct Physical Loss—water from plumbing, tearing or bulging of heating or cooling systems, artificially generated electrical current
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Riots
  • Aircraft and vehicles
  • Personal articles policy
  • Flood insurance

Convenience

State Farm makes it easy to file a claim on your home insurance policy. Policyholders can contact State Farm in any of these ways:

1. File and manage the claim on the State Farm mobile app
  2. Call State Farm customer service
  3. Contact your personal agent directly
  4. Report your claim online

The Bad

Exclusions

State Farm's policies do not cover all possible damages to your home. Exclusions include intentional harm to a property or person, business pursuits or professional services, or maintenance of vehicles, aircraft, or watercraft.

The Bottom Line

State Farm is a household name in insurance for good reason. The company has a wealth of experience and a positive reputation for providing quality coverage and service as evidenced by the majority of consumer reviews. In fact, the company boasts 4.5/5 stars, on average, in all of our sentiment criteria for:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

In addition, the State Farm website has a large collection of useful tools and resources, including calculators, articles, and educational videos.

Call our recommended rep over at State Farm below.

Brandie Rudy

February 25th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

State Farm has insured both of our homes. I can sleep easy at night knowing that my home and belongings are covered with State Farm. The cost and customer service are beyond my expectations and although I have never faced a disaster I know that I am well taken care of with State Farm.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Having had State Farm as my home insurer has been the best decision of my life - in terms of insurance. They cover all contingencies for a modest premium. They sell peace of mind and they look after your policy to ensure it grows with your family. State Farm agents are as expert as they come. Can't be beat. I've tried to find better, but found that State Farm runs circles around the competition.

Matthew Driggs

April 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had State Farm for over 20 years. Never had a problem. Great to work with.

Jorden Laird

December 11th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

my agent always looked out for me and made sure I had the best rates for me and my budget

edward reese

December 5th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best part of home insurance is to hope the price is right and that you never have to use it. but if you do your company has to be trustworthy and State farm has always had trust and provides a quick response to issues.

Adam Daugherty

December 4th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use State Farm for my renters insurance. It was a pretty easy process getting the coverage and the rates are pretty good. I have not had to use it yet thank goodness but I feel if I did I would be in good hands.

Jennifer Encarnacion

November 17th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have my apartment insurance with State Farm. Hadn't had to use it but it was a breeze adding me onto the apartment insurance. And it was cheap I think it's only like $12 a month to insure all my stuff.

ben

November 5th, 2018 Iowa City, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Competitive rates. Never has any problems with service. My agent has been helpful in canceling service lines no longer required.

Rachel B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently moved to State Farm, and even though the rates were higher than I’d like, my agent is great!

Cayla Koga

October 25th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have State Farm as my insurance provider and I have never had a bad experience with them. They have superior customer service, if I have to file a claim- they're very attentive, when I need to change some info on my account they are very patient.

Angie L Hanzel

October 24th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with State Farm for over 10 years. They have been amazing to work with. They check in with me once a year to review my policy and make sure I am getting the best rates possible. I am confidant if a problem came up they would handle my problem fairly and quickly. This past year I also wanted to shop around and make sure I was getting the best rate possible. After contacting several insurance companies, State Farm was by far the best out there for what they could offer. I have been extremely satisfied with their service and plan on keeping them for many more years to come.

Brady Hanson

October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family was highly dissatisfied with State Farm's renter's insurance. We thought the coverage was lower than other companies and at a higher premium.

mgillings

September 17th, 2018

Our basement flooded with sewage. While they were nice enough on the phone, they were not very helpful. Probably will cancel our rental insurance because there was to little help.

PolyanaL

September 13th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I will not go back to State farm, I was with them for several years until i got into a car wreck and they spiked up my premium how ever the accident wasnt my fault. Ever since then, when ever i call customer service, they dont value me as a client

Shanna

August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our agent. This company is easy to work with and has great rates

Preston Fowler

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

State Farm has been helpful with me fixing and figuring out what the problem is, whenever I call them theyre very kind in getting to the point and accomplishing the task that is at hand.

Rashida Laumatia

August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

When my house flooded due to plumbing, not only did they put my family up in a hotel, they covered all the damges. Love the customer service and how helpful they were.

Tilda

August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Fast, affordable, and ALWAYS on top of things.

Lesa Burgess

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used State Farm for Home Insurance and also for renter's insurance during the times we didn't own our home. We were always really well pleased with the coverage as well as the customer service.

Thomas Hullinger

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

State Farm home insurance puts my mind at ease as they are very trustworthy and will stand behind everything they sell.

Kristin G

August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Our home is insured by State Farm and has been for many years. We enjoy our representative because he helps answer our questions and we even have his personal number to contact anytime day or night.

Haidyn Houtz

August 18th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I loved working with State Farm! They were so helpful and they really cater to my needs. They made me feel like a family and not just someone to get money from.

Becky Rasmussen

August 17th, 2018 American Fork, UT

Hassle free customer service, availability of a local brick and mortar insurance agent, strong financial viability, a name that you can trust. Great multiple policy discounts available for auto/homeowners.

James Nelson

August 2nd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

It's been great working with them. They are extremely responsive to my needs!

Sandra Jensen

July 29th, 2018 American Fork, UT

Very pleased. Great customer service. Very helpful.

Kimberley Hirt

July 26th, 2018 Buena Vista, VA

We found State Farm to have excellent rates and personal customer service. I would definitely recommend this company.

Tyler Williams

July 14th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I used State Farm for my vehicles, Home and financing back in PA. I was very pleased with custom service and my reps quick responses to my questions. Rates were good too. I didn't feel the need to shop around.

Kaleb Herbert

July 7th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with State Farm for 20 years. The rates and service are second to none. They are courteous and it has been great working with an agent that really does support and help if anything goes wrong. You really know you are with the right company after experiencing their support after an accident. We have never had to file a homeowners claim, but many times have called are agent to determine if we should file and he always gives us the honest answer.

Jess Root

July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We never had to file a claim, but it provided the coverage we needed. It did, though consistently increase in rates over the years.

Tom

June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

They have great insurance that is a little expensive, but very comprehensive and well respected everywhere. I have had claims and it is a very easy process.

Bella Houtz

June 10th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

State Farm is a reliable home insurance and is affordable.

Sadie Scoville

June 9th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

State Farm customer service is great, but I feel like their policies are very overpriced compared to other companies that I’ve used

Joanna Hester

June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We never had to file a claim, but I have contacted customer service several times with questions about my policy. They were always very helpful and professional.

K Robison

April 29th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good insurance and a helpful staff. They have each customer's best interest at heart.

Schon

April 28th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have State Farm for most of my insurances. My agent is a family friend and has always taken care of our needs.

Trent

April 10th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have renters insurance through them and it is very affordable and easy to work with. My agent is great, and always available to help out or answer questions.

Charlotte Ash

December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had State Farm for many year. They have been good to help us with our claims. They have help us get our cars towed and fixed in remote areas.

Dale Ash

December 18th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My State Farm agents have been wonderful. Their service is solid. They return phone calls promptly. They provide options and help you to find ways to save on premiums. They provide discounts for multiple policy types. When you do have a claim, they are very helpful in getting the situation resolved. Rates don't climb because you had to use your insurance.

Chris Wootton

December 17th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are a good solid company and they take care of their customers.

Megan Rigby

December 12th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When our water heater went out and water leaked through the walls, carpet and required repairs, State Farm stepped up and handled everything. It was such a smooth process and took a lot of the stress away associated with such an event.

Cassidy Gundersen

December 4th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT GET STATE FARM! We had State Farm for 6 months before switching over. Each month our bill was a different total and the cost would often fluctuate for no known reason. After talking with friends and family this was the case for all of them as well. The customer service was not good either. Sometimes we would get a helpful agent, but most of the time they gave little help and vague answers. Never could they explain why the bill fluctuated so much. After shopping around, we found that their prices were much higher than nearly every other competitor. They sent a lot of paperwork and it was an unnecessarily complicated process to both get signed up and to cancel service.