Best Company Guarantee State Farm Logo

State Farm

7.4

LAST UPDATED: January 18th, 2023

State Farm has a reputation for quality and reliability in the insurance industry. Its home insurance is no exception. It offers competitive coverage, covers many types of homes, and has earned high customer ratings on BestCompany.com.

Read State Farm Home Insurance Reviews

State Farm is also invested in the communities it serves. The company offers grants and its employees volunteer. When disaster strikes, individuals and communities are impacted. State Farm's investment in communities even when things are good emphasize its concern for its clients.

If you need another type of insurance product, State Farm also offers life insurance, auto insurance, and renters insurance.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Competitive Coverage
  • Additional Homes Covered

Positive Customer Reviews

Of its reviews on BestCompany.com, State Farm has received a high proportion of 5-star reviews. These ratings speak to State Farm's quality, value, and customer satisfaction. Such high ratings are a good sign that the insurance provider treats its customers well.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Eddie Rios from Ogden, Utah

"Having had State Farm as my home insurer has been the best decision of my life - in terms of insurance. They cover all contingencies for a modest premium. They sell peace of mind and they look after your policy to ensure it grows with your family. State Farm agents are as expert as they come. Can't be beat. I've tried to find better, but found that State Farm runs circles around the competition."

As you work with State Farm, be sure to understand how your policy works, what it covers, and what it doesn't to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Competitive Coverage

When you work with State Farm, you'll start by looking at what it would cost to replace your home to determine your coverage level. Getting replacement cost coverage in your insurance policy, will protect your home if the worst were to happen.

Your State Farm policy will also protect keepsakes, hobby equipment, and home and garden features from nature, random acts, and other threats with some exceptions.

The coverage offered by State Farm is competitive with the industry, so you can be confident when considering a policy from the insurer.

Additional Homes Covered

You can also purchase condo, farm or ranch, manufactured home, and renters insurance from State Farm. Whatever home is for you, you can find reliable insurance coverage through State Farm.

The Bad

• Fewer Discounts Available
  • Clear Limitations
  • Limited Financial Strength Information

Fewer Discounts Available

State Farm offers fewer discounts on insurance premiums compared to some of its competitor homeowners insurance companies. However, it still offers some nice discounts, including a multi-line discount, home alert protection, and roof materials and quality.

You can also opt for a higher deductible for lower rates on your homeowners insurance policy. While it would be nice to have more discount opportunities, State Farm offers some key discounts to help clients save while delivering quality services.

Clear Limitations

Most home insurance policies have limitations. State Farm makes its policy limitations clear on its website. These limitations include money, business property, watercraft, trailers, firearm theft, silverware and goldware theft, computers and data processing equipment, and rug and tapestry theft.

State Farm home insurance also does not offer protection in certain scenarios, including flood, underground water, earthquakes, mudslides, settling, deterioration, contamination, nuclear hazard. If you're home is damaged in any of these situations, you won't be able to make an insurance claim.

While it would be nice to not have any limitations, they are common for the industry and State Farm makes them clear from the initial research stage.

Limited Financial Strength Information

It's difficult to find State Farm's financial strength information online for its homeowners insurance policies. While this is concerning, State Farm does have high financial strength ratings for its auto and life insurance companies.

Financial strength ratings indicate an insurance company's financial stability and likelihood to be able to meet its claims obligations. High financial strength ratings are an important indicator of a good insurer.

To be fully confident when buying home insurance from State Farm, be sure to ask your State Farm agent specifically about its financial strength related to its homeowners insurance.

The Bottom Line

State Farm is a recommended home insurance company because of the praise it has received from reviewers on BestCompany.com.

The insurer also has a strong reputation for dependability and quality developed through many years of industry experience. However, you should ask your insurance agent about its financial strength for home insurance before applying for and buying a policy.

State Farm offers good coverage options for a variety of homes, which makes it easy to have your insurance needs met.

Although you'll find fewer discounts for insurance cost on State Farm homeowners insurance than with some of its competitors, State Farm is a great insurer to choose. You'll be clear on the terms of your policy and what it covers under which circumstances, which will give you peace of mind and clarity.

Call our recommended rep over at State Farm below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

M T Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been a State Farm customer for only a few years but have watched my parents use them for far longer than I. This is an outstanding company and I will forever be their customer. Their billing and customer service team is extraordinary.

Clinton Estes Charlottesville, VA

I have always liked that I deal wih only one person in our small State Farm office. My agent is someone I wen to high school with and so I trust his judgment and his advice. He has been my agent for over 40 years until his recent passing. That said, the lone secretary has continued to offer me excellent service and is always willing to talk and advise when needed. So, thank you Wayne M and his staff in Orange, Virginia for a job well done and continuing to do a great job for me!

Jason Atlanta, GA

I've had State Farm for about 7 months now and they have already increased my rate by $20 a month. It is very aggravating but still cheaper than any other quote I've gotten so I can't complain too much. Their reps are always very helpful and kind.

Liz

We have used state farm for many years for multiple insurance policies including our home insurance for one of our rental properties, and they have an extremely consistent and customer service oriented over the years. I would definitely recommend them, their customer service is top-tier.

Carol E Brown Harker Heights, TX

We had State Farm as my provider for both renter's insurance and then for homeowners insurance once I purchased a home. We were completely satisfied with the service we received from State Farm. The agents we had were very proactive and responsive to any concerns we had. The coverage they suggested was exactly what we needed. I highly recommend State Farm for insurance.

Braska Williams Jr Knightdale, NC

Great coverage - I had a claim with State Farm about eight years ago, and they did a fantastic job with the repairs. I had a toilet to clog and flood my bathroom upstairs with one inch of water which leaked through the ceiling to our kitchen which was underneath. They replaced the bathroom floor, repainted the kitchen ceiling and walls, dehumidified the ceiling. On the negative side, we had submitted a roof claim and were advised to not follow it. Within a year or two, State Farm sent someone to do a "random" check of the exterior of our home which was odd. My local agent and his staff are great!

David Barr Houston, TX

I recently switched over to State Farm and have been very satisfied with their rates, customer service & professionalism.!

James Johnson Whitsett, NC

State farm was a good insurance company. Was with them over 20 years. They just went up tremendous on the rate. Had to find another company. Rates to high.

Mary Workman Elkhart, IN

I have rental insurance through them because my home is an apartment. The lady who helped sign me up for the rental insurance was very helpful. Especially when I had a problem understanding the bill that I received. She even helped me set up automatic payments.

Abby Smith Dothan, AL

State Farm was very helpful with my quote, they explained everything in the best way I could and helped me get set up on the insurance I needed. They have great customer service and the price for insurance it’s doable. I never had any problems with the insurance itself either.

Trish webb Phoenix, AZ

I absolutely love StateFarm. Anytime I have an issue they have been right there to help. Claims are processed with ease and even when I haven’t filed a claim they recommended a great roof repair man. 100 percent recommend StateFarm for all your needs

Ellie Bradley Thousand Oaks, CA

We have had to move from state to state a few times, however we've always kept our car, home/renters, life and umbrella insurance with State Farm. This company has great representatives and customer service. Honestly, that is why we have stayed with them through all the moves and decades!

Johnny Lopez Dallas, TX

Just the way they say and want it like a good neighbor State farm is there I appreciate it service and especially the customer service you can't never go anywhere unless you have awesome customer service leave it to the good neighbors people

mark andrews Montrose, CO

After 40+ years of having state farm insurance on our home, unfortunately we had water damage and a claim. Although the deductible is always confusing to me, State Farm agreed on the damage and paid some funds to replace and repair water damaged aspects of the house. Although it can be confusing on what is covered or not, State Farm came through for wind-driven water damage. Even though my home, auto, and personal umbrella policies continue to rise in price, I had to spend hours online and on the phone with other major insurance companies to find out I get darn good rates as is. If you take the time to get the details on comparisons, state farm is the best for price and reliable coverage. Our local agent, Mike T, has been very accommodating and helpful over the last three plus years.

Rita Hopkins Austin, TX

During hurricane Katrina our trailer suffered severe damage. State farm did not hesitate to get the necessary repairs done expeditiously.

Michelle Camara Dallas, TX

I have house insurance and have had to have my roof replaced due to hail. Everything was already and really, there was not much I needed to do or worry about every time.

Brand Richardson Haun TX

State Farm has the best rates for auto but also for home owner coverage.. Once i had to file a claim and feared the worst. Unlike my previous company who made it hard to work with State Farm has agents who are super willing to help you out and really do have you covered.

Pamela Bittner Arlington, TX

State Farm was a good company. I only had one claim during my 6 years of coverage in the late 90's. My house was burglarized. They did nickel and dime the payout. The burglars used my pillowcases to take my items and State Farm did not want to reimburse me for the sheet set. I still use State Farm for my life insurance, and they have been great! I have had the policy for 32 years!

Deanna Greco Murphy, NC

I just recently switched to State Farm. The rates for Home and Auto were much lower than my other insurance company. Also, the knowledgeable staff and advice I received were very valuable. Informative but not pushy. A great product!

Gina Donofrio

State Farm offers many different Insurances. The Agents are kind and speak with you on an even level. I've yet to feel inferior. Rates are slightly high, but a policy is exactly what you've been told. There are no hidden statements.

Nam

I have had State Farm Insurance for over 6 years, and they have always been great. They have decent prices and offer great coverage. Prices are skyrocketing right now but at least I have a peace of mind if anything ever goes wrong. I have had other insurances in the past but because of the service quality, I think I'll be using State Farm for the next decade.

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

This company has always given me the best rates for the most accommodations. If I ever need any assistance I simply give them a call or email and within the day usually they return my call or email. They are great at communicating and will get you the assistance you need pretty quick. I've had them for a few years now and will not switch providers, because they have been awesome! Nothing negative to say about this company when it comes to home insurance.

DealStar South Jordan, UT

We GOT LUCKY with our awesome State Farm agent! She's by far the best insurance agent a customer could ever have for keeping us insured without being over-insured. State Farm has been a personal preference for several decades. Sure, there was a slight detour when we moved to a different state and went with a different company, but we always come back to State Farm. Rates, coverage, and well-informed agents make State Farm the ONLY REASONABLE CHOICE for INSURANCE. And yes, we "bundle"!

Brenda Anderson TX

State Farm is a wonderful company to have insurance with. Guy will pay your climb with no hassle and take care of your needs. That replace my roof after a health storm that cost $9000.00. They also replaced broken windows from the same hail storm. All I had to pay was my deductible. They were kind and polite and made me feel like they really cared about me as a person. My nerves were shot but when they took care of my problem nerves were fine again!!! You can’t go wrong with State Farm!!!

Doc B Decatur, GA

All about the local agent and their staff, I retained coverage for 15 years until I moved simply because of the customer service I received from the local agency. Not always the lowest but very competitive and when I needed an explanation or claim assistance the local agent was there for me. Like a good neighbor is what I received. Claims for storm damage were timely and swift. Had entire roof replaced and on another occasion interior water damage, both were handled to my satisfaction. I recommend their bundle if you need it.

RONALD WHITE Phoenix, AZ

Interestingly, we just went back to State Farm Homeowners Insurance after a 40 year hiatus. The agent we went through has been most professional yet personable. Our annual rate was $350 less than with the company we had been using for 10+ years with all the same comparable coverages & same deductibles. I highly recommend State Farm Insurance for at least a quote versus your existing insurance company.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

While my son is in college I take care of his renter's insurance. I looked around for the best deals with comprehensive coverage. State Farm had the best rates and was willing to work with me regarding transferring insurance coverage from one apartment to another. Renter's insurance is very important coverage to have, even if you're not a homeowner. State Farm does what I needed to make sure I can keep my son safe even when he's not so close to me.

Erinmarie Xian Brandon, FL

This was the first insurance company I got on my own after my first mortgage. I was very familiar with State Farm from my parents using them so I was very comfortable having them write up a policy. The fact that they have branches pretty much everywhere makes a very assessable and their reputation is very good. The pricing seemed to be legit. Luckily I never had to file a claim so I can’t speak to that part but the easiness of changing things to meet my needs was great.

Basil48 Clifton, NJ

Over the past 2 years we have had exceptional service both from our local agent Will Rogers, & from the Home Offices. Will personally took care of the repair process for our broken windshield, which was repaired post haste. More recently we had an accident with our 2021 Toyota Camry & representatives from Home Office were in constant contact with us. Assuring us that all matters were being tended to and on schedule. Unfortunately, for all, the vehicle was "totaled," and State Farm reps went over the entire process in full-detail and to our total satisfaction

Melanie Sanders Cumming, GA

I love my State Farm agents and my coverage for my home and autos. I have been a customer for 30+ years. I always feel supported and that they have my back when something happens. I also am able to adjust my coverage as my home or family status has changed. I have had a couple of homeowners claims, and State Farm has provided great service and support. I am pleased.

Sarah Berks Atlanta, GA

I was with State Farm Insurance for two years, and I was always pleased with the service and treatment for myself and my family. Unfortunately, we have recently changed insurance for other reasons. I have absolutely no hesitation in wholeheartedly endorsing State Farm for all your insurance needs. If ever I get the opportunity to go back to State Farm, I would do so in a heartbeat. Thank you State Farm.

cathy beasley Livingston, TN

State farm is relatively on the high side of pricing however you get what you pay for . That is my belief . They have alot to offer and customer service is great . I was in a wreck and they took care of everything and I was stress free . All I had to do was pick up the check where my car was totaled and find me another vehicle. And the check was alot more then I expected by far. Great choice for insurance . Not only vehicle but I had life, home and other coverages. I had no problems with claims going thru on my homeowner's insurance with them also . I had a tree to fall doing damage to the roof and gutters. It took state farm no time after I submitted the claim to get it fixed.

David Wilhelm Escondido, CA

We have been pleased with State Farm Insurance for most of the period in which coverage has been provided for our home. However, we were very dissatisfied when we experienced a slab leak in the family room connected to the kitchen and learned State Farm Insurance does not indemnify or provide remedy for it. Our home is 25 years old, and the risk of a slab leak increases with the age of the home. The out-of-pocket cost including restoration was $12K. According to State Farm Insurance, slab leaks are NOT covered in circumstances where the leaking pipe is located BELOW the concrete foundation because it is not considered part of the home and is only covered when encased within the concrete foundation as part of the home. We were very dissatisfied and shocked at the time. Please check with your insurance agent to inquire about coverage for slab leaks which are common in older homes so you are prepared should this occur to you.

Monica Savard Gilbert, AZ

State Farm has been my home insurance company forever. My agent is fantastic and always available whenever I need him.

william reichart Scranton, PA

I use State Farm for everything.Car, motorcycle and our home.They have the best rate I could find and their service is really good.

Whitney Hernandez Keller, TX

I’ve been a State Farm customer for 10 years and I wouldn’t have it any other way. They make things so easy especially with bundling their services and policies

Eva Salazar Lubbock, TX

The best home insurance you ever have. Their agents are always ready to help whenever you need them. just as the commercials; they are pricey but so worth the price.

Ronald Hale Millington, TN

We have car and home policies with State Farm for quite awhile. Have made several claims over the years and never had a problem being resolved to our satisfaction. We are happy to stick with State Farm. Our agent, Pam B and her coworker Hope are both great!

Ronald Schaffer Schnecksville, PA

Been dealing with most insurances offered by this company for a long time now. My father started the Home Owners Insurance . I am helping my mother take care and pay it off now that he passed away a few years back. Easy to use inexpensive isurance to keeping our home safe when It needs it.

Matthew Laney Chino, CA

I had a policy with State Farm Home Insurance with a previous residence. Their premium fees were reasonable and they were fair and responsive when I had to file a claim. Their representatives were always helpful and friendly. I would recommend State Farm Insurance.

Alexandria Lekberg Woodland, CA

I have been with State Farm for 10 years for my home insurance. Their customer service is fantastic. I love that I can go into their office and talk face to face with my agent, Hope. She is able to answer all my questions and help me with my claims. I have been with them for over 20 years for my car insurance and life insurance! They are great!

Cher Hansen Tinley Park, IL

I have been a State Farm customer for many years. They have always been wonderful and helpful no matter the situation. They have great knowledge of their products and are able to guide me through any questions or concerns I have had in the past.

Be Joyful Ministries Philadelphia, PA

State Farm is an excellent insurance company that has met and exceeded my expectations for home insurance, car insurance, and business insurance. I have been a customer with State Farm Insurance Company for over 25 years and every agent has continuously provided excellent customer service.

Daniel Cossa Elmhurst, IL

I like that they have annual home owner insurance policies. I was also very pleased with the assistance I got from the agent and the office staff. They helped me find things that needed to be included in my policy and explained the pricing and plan very thoroughly.

Lisa Huseby

We have had State Farm for over 35 years. They have always gone above to help us in any claims we have had. Even when we were hit by a tornado in our motor home in Missouri. They were quick to get an agent out to help. Our agent here in Texas Is so helpful to help us with the best coverage for us.

jeff molitor Chicago, IL

State Farm is the creme of the crop once you get to the point where you realize they have something almost no other insurance company has. It took me awhile to get to this point as I went through the 'cheap' route with other insurers but when I needed those insurers they were difficult to deal with and questioned me at every turn. State Farm is not the cheapest out there but they are by far the best - amazing customer service and responsive, supports you during the claims process, and never makes you feel like an inconvenience. They want to help you and they support you through the process.

David Bornancin Westlake, OH

The key to home Insurance in working with a Great Insurance Agent that cares about your needs and requirements. State Farm has always provided me with Options that meet my Levels of Insurability and Budget. I highly recommend State Farm Insurance for not only Home but Car insurance as well.

Marilyn Jenkins Indianapolis, IN

We all think we pay too much for auto and home insurance. But every time I think about changing Auto/Home insurance I look up similar coverage with other companies the quoted amount is usually higher than State Farm. Sometimes it's much higher.

James Moss Newton, IA

I recently got a great deal from State Farm for car insurance, so when they told me that they were offering great prices on home insurance I looked into it. I didn't go with them because I'm getting a better price elsewhere but the agent was very helpful and treated me with respect even though I chose another company.

Elizabeth Redding, CA

I have used State Farm for home insurance the past year and a half and it has been a positive experience. I had already been using State Farm for car insurance for many years, so I already had trust in the company and my insurance agent.