Best Company Guarantee State Farm Logo

State Farm

7.4

LAST UPDATED: August 12th, 2022

State Farm has a reputation for quality and reliability in the insurance industry. Its home insurance is no exception. It offers competitive coverage, covers many types of homes, and has earned high customer ratings on BestCompany.com.

Read State Farm Home Insurance Reviews

State Farm is also invested in the communities it serves. The company offers grants and its employees volunteer. When disaster strikes, individuals and communities are impacted. State Farm's investment in communities even when things are good emphasize its concern for its clients.

If you need another type of insurance product, State Farm also offers life insurance, auto insurance, and renters insurance.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Competitive Coverage
  • Additional Homes Covered

Positive Customer Reviews

Of its reviews on BestCompany.com, State Farm has received a high proportion of 5-star reviews. These ratings speak to State Farm's quality, value, and customer satisfaction. Such high ratings are a good sign that the insurance provider treats its customers well.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Eddie Rios from Ogden, Utah

"Having had State Farm as my home insurer has been the best decision of my life - in terms of insurance. They cover all contingencies for a modest premium. They sell peace of mind and they look after your policy to ensure it grows with your family. State Farm agents are as expert as they come. Can't be beat. I've tried to find better, but found that State Farm runs circles around the competition."

As you work with State Farm, be sure to understand how your policy works, what it covers, and what it doesn't to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Competitive Coverage

When you work with State Farm, you'll start by looking at what it would cost to replace your home to determine your coverage level. Getting replacement cost coverage in your insurance policy, will protect your home if the worst were to happen.

Your State Farm policy will also protect keepsakes, hobby equipment, and home and garden features from nature, random acts, and other threats with some exceptions.

The coverage offered by State Farm is competitive with the industry, so you can be confident when considering a policy from the insurer.

Additional Homes Covered

You can also purchase condo, farm or ranch, manufactured home, and renters insurance from State Farm. Whatever home is for you, you can find reliable insurance coverage through State Farm.

The Bad

• Fewer Discounts Available
  • Clear Limitations
  • Limited Financial Strength Information

Fewer Discounts Available

State Farm offers fewer discounts on insurance premiums compared to some of its competitor homeowners insurance companies. However, it still offers some nice discounts, including a multi-line discount, home alert protection, and roof materials and quality.

You can also opt for a higher deductible for lower rates on your homeowners insurance policy. While it would be nice to have more discount opportunities, State Farm offers some key discounts to help clients save while delivering quality services.

Clear Limitations

Most home insurance policies have limitations. State Farm makes its policy limitations clear on its website. These limitations include money, business property, watercraft, trailers, firearm theft, silverware and goldware theft, computers and data processing equipment, and rug and tapestry theft.

State Farm home insurance also does not offer protection in certain scenarios, including flood, underground water, earthquakes, mudslides, settling, deterioration, contamination, nuclear hazard. If you're home is damaged in any of these situations, you won't be able to make an insurance claim.

While it would be nice to not have any limitations, they are common for the industry and State Farm makes them clear from the initial research stage.

Limited Financial Strength Information

It's difficult to find State Farm's financial strength information online for its homeowners insurance policies. While this is concerning, State Farm does have high financial strength ratings for its auto and life insurance companies.

Financial strength ratings indicate an insurance company's financial stability and likelihood to be able to meet its claims obligations. High financial strength ratings are an important indicator of a good insurer.

To be fully confident when buying home insurance from State Farm, be sure to ask your State Farm agent specifically about its financial strength related to its homeowners insurance.

The Bottom Line

State Farm is a recommended home insurance company because of the praise it has received from reviewers on BestCompany.com.

The insurer also has a strong reputation for dependability and quality developed through many years of industry experience. However, you should ask your insurance agent about its financial strength for home insurance before applying for and buying a policy.

State Farm offers good coverage options for a variety of homes, which makes it easy to have your insurance needs met.

Although you'll find fewer discounts for insurance cost on State Farm homeowners insurance than with some of its competitors, State Farm is a great insurer to choose. You'll be clear on the terms of your policy and what it covers under which circumstances, which will give you peace of mind and clarity.

Call our recommended rep over at State Farm below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

mark andrews Montrose, CO

After 40+ years of having state farm insurance on our home, unfortunately we had water damage and a claim. Although the deductible is always confusing to me, State Farm agreed on the damage and paid some funds to replace and repair water damaged aspects of the house. Although it can be confusing on what is covered or not, State Farm came through for wind-driven water damage. Even though my home, auto, and personal umbrella policies continue to rise in price, I had to spend hours online and on the phone with other major insurance companies to find out I get darn good rates as is. If you take the time to get the details on comparisons, state farm is the best for price and reliable coverage. Our local agent, Mike T, has been very accommodating and helpful over the last three plus years.

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

This company has always given me the best rates for the most accommodations. If I ever need any assistance I simply give them a call or email and within the day usually they return my call or email. They are great at communicating and will get you the assistance you need pretty quick. I've had them for a few years now and will not switch providers, because they have been awesome! Nothing negative to say about this company when it comes to home insurance.

1 day ago

DealStar South Jordan, UT

We GOT LUCKY with our awesome State Farm agent! She's by far the best insurance agent a customer could ever have for keeping us insured without being over-insured. State Farm has been a personal preference for several decades. Sure, there was a slight detour when we moved to a different state and went with a different company, but we always come back to State Farm. Rates, coverage, and well-informed agents make State Farm the ONLY REASONABLE CHOICE for INSURANCE. And yes, we "bundle"!

Brenda Anderson TX

State Farm is a wonderful company to have insurance with. Guy will pay your climb with no hassle and take care of your needs. That replace my roof after a health storm that cost $9000.00. They also replaced broken windows from the same hail storm. All I had to pay was my deductible. They were kind and polite and made me feel like they really cared about me as a person. My nerves were shot but when they took care of my problem nerves were fine again!!! You can’t go wrong with State Farm!!!

Doc B Decatur, GA

All about the local agent and their staff, I retained coverage for 15 years until I moved simply because of the customer service I received from the local agency. Not always the lowest but very competitive and when I needed an explanation or claim assistance the local agent was there for me. Like a good neighbor is what I received. Claims for storm damage were timely and swift. Had entire roof replaced and on another occasion interior water damage, both were handled to my satisfaction. I recommend their bundle if you need it.

RONALD WHITE Phoenix, AZ

Interestingly, we just went back to State Farm Homeowners Insurance after a 40 year hiatus. The agent we went through has been most professional yet personable. Our annual rate was $350 less than with the company we had been using for 10+ years with all the same comparable coverages & same deductibles. I highly recommend State Farm Insurance for at least a quote versus your existing insurance company.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

While my son is in college I take care of his renter's insurance. I looked around for the best deals with comprehensive coverage. State Farm had the best rates and was willing to work with me regarding transferring insurance coverage from one apartment to another. Renter's insurance is very important coverage to have, even if you're not a homeowner. State Farm does what I needed to make sure I can keep my son safe even when he's not so close to me.

Erinmarie Xian Brandon, FL

This was the first insurance company I got on my own after my first mortgage. I was very familiar with State Farm from my parents using them so I was very comfortable having them write up a policy. The fact that they have branches pretty much everywhere makes a very assessable and their reputation is very good. The pricing seemed to be legit. Luckily I never had to file a claim so I can’t speak to that part but the easiness of changing things to meet my needs was great.

Basil48 Clifton, NJ

Over the past 2 years we have had exceptional service both from our local agent Will Rogers, & from the Home Offices. Will personally took care of the repair process for our broken windshield, which was repaired post haste. More recently we had an accident with our 2021 Toyota Camry & representatives from Home Office were in constant contact with us. Assuring us that all matters were being tended to and on schedule. Unfortunately, for all, the vehicle was "totaled," and State Farm reps went over the entire process in full-detail and to our total satisfaction

Melanie Sanders Cumming, GA

I love my State Farm agents and my coverage for my home and autos. I have been a customer for 30+ years. I always feel supported and that they have my back when something happens. I also am able to adjust my coverage as my home or family status has changed. I have had a couple of homeowners claims, and State Farm has provided great service and support. I am pleased.

Sarah Berks Atlanta, GA

I was with State Farm Insurance for two years, and I was always pleased with the service and treatment for myself and my family. Unfortunately, we have recently changed insurance for other reasons. I have absolutely no hesitation in wholeheartedly endorsing State Farm for all your insurance needs. If ever I get the opportunity to go back to State Farm, I would do so in a heartbeat. Thank you State Farm.

cathy beasley Livingston, TN

State farm is relatively on the high side of pricing however you get what you pay for . That is my belief . They have alot to offer and customer service is great . I was in a wreck and they took care of everything and I was stress free . All I had to do was pick up the check where my car was totaled and find me another vehicle. And the check was alot more then I expected by far. Great choice for insurance . Not only vehicle but I had life, home and other coverages. I had no problems with claims going thru on my homeowner's insurance with them also . I had a tree to fall doing damage to the roof and gutters. It took state farm no time after I submitted the claim to get it fixed.

David Wilhelm Escondido, CA

We have been pleased with State Farm Insurance for most of the period in which coverage has been provided for our home. However, we were very dissatisfied when we experienced a slab leak in the family room connected to the kitchen and learned State Farm Insurance does not indemnify or provide remedy for it. Our home is 25 years old, and the risk of a slab leak increases with the age of the home. The out-of-pocket cost including restoration was $12K. According to State Farm Insurance, slab leaks are NOT covered in circumstances where the leaking pipe is located BELOW the concrete foundation because it is not considered part of the home and is only covered when encased within the concrete foundation as part of the home. We were very dissatisfied and shocked at the time. Please check with your insurance agent to inquire about coverage for slab leaks which are common in older homes so you are prepared should this occur to you.

Ryan Vett Mesa, AZ

State Farm had the best rates after shopping around. Their coverage is just as good as anyone else I got quotes from, but their price was unbeatable. Great customer service, both on the phone and over online chat.

Alexandria Lekberg Woodland, CA

I have been with State Farm for 10 years for my home insurance. Their customer service is fantastic. I love that I can go into their office and talk face to face with my agent, Hope. She is able to answer all my questions and help me with my claims. I have been with them for over 20 years for my car insurance and life insurance! They are great!

Cher Hansen Tinley Park, IL

I have been a State Farm customer for many years. They have always been wonderful and helpful no matter the situation. They have great knowledge of their products and are able to guide me through any questions or concerns I have had in the past.

Be Joyful Ministries Philadelphia, PA

State Farm is an excellent insurance company that has met and exceeded my expectations for home insurance, car insurance, and business insurance. I have been a customer with State Farm Insurance Company for over 25 years and every agent has continuously provided excellent customer service.

Daniel Cossa Elmhurst, IL

I like that they have annual home owner insurance policies. I was also very pleased with the assistance I got from the agent and the office staff. They helped me find things that needed to be included in my policy and explained the pricing and plan very thoroughly.

jeff molitor Chicago, IL

State Farm is the creme of the crop once you get to the point where you realize they have something almost no other insurance company has. It took me awhile to get to this point as I went through the 'cheap' route with other insurers but when I needed those insurers they were difficult to deal with and questioned me at every turn. State Farm is not the cheapest out there but they are by far the best - amazing customer service and responsive, supports you during the claims process, and never makes you feel like an inconvenience. They want to help you and they support you through the process.

David Bornancin Westlake, OH

The key to home Insurance in working with a Great Insurance Agent that cares about your needs and requirements. State Farm has always provided me with Options that meet my Levels of Insurability and Budget. I highly recommend State Farm Insurance for not only Home but Car insurance as well.

Marilyn Jenkins Indianapolis, IN

We all think we pay too much for auto and home insurance. But every time I think about changing Auto/Home insurance I look up similar coverage with other companies the quoted amount is usually higher than State Farm. Sometimes it's much higher.

James Moss Newton, IA

I recently got a great deal from State Farm for car insurance, so when they told me that they were offering great prices on home insurance I looked into it. I didn't go with them because I'm getting a better price elsewhere but the agent was very helpful and treated me with respect even though I chose another company.

Elizabeth Redding, CA

I have used State Farm for home insurance the past year and a half and it has been a positive experience. I had already been using State Farm for car insurance for many years, so I already had trust in the company and my insurance agent.

Kermit Davidson San Jose, CA

I've been with State Farm for over 20 yrs. and during that time I've checked other company's for better rates, and nobody can even come close to their rates. My wife was rear ended in the Starbucks drive thru, which just happened to be next to our State Farm agents office, and she came out and helped my wife gather the information needed. What's their slogan, "their when you need us"!

Christina Sutu-Wallar Fresno, CA

I used Statefarm to bundle my home and car insurance. I liked that they offered me discounts for bundling insurances together, and I felt safe knowing that this huge company that has been around for decades would and could protect my biggest asset, my home. They were wonderful to work with, and I really liked having an agent that was local that I could build a relationship with but also a one 800 number I could turn to for more information when and if needed

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

I think that State Farm has been a pretty fair company to work with. The customer service is responsive and the rate is a little high, but I do think they will deliver better than other companies if there ever is a claim.

Lisa Hochstetler Ridgeland, SC

State Farm is a very good home insurance company. We had some flood damage and they came out quickly and took care of the problem. My only complaint is that we never saw anything about the. Laim on their website

Walter Brawner Oak Park, IL

The terms were very clear and understanding, with the help of the agent that assisted me with my POLICY and my CLAIM. I had a situation where I needed to file a claim and it went as smooth as silk and was paid out almost immediately.

Cheryl Goodall Minneapolis, MN

Wonderful agents and so helpful especially when you need the insurance explained in terms you can understand and help with deciding how much to get to be comfortable with your coverage

Abi Deen Dallas, TX

I’ve been with State Farm for 2 years now! I have my autos and renters insurance with them. By far, no other company can beat their price, so I will continue to be a valued customer.

Amrit Nandrey Franklin, TN

Statefarm agent was able to answer all my concerns and able to issue my policies on time. He explained all variables that we could adjust to get a great rate. I also filed a claim and it went very smooth.

Chimezie Ihuoma New York, NY

I like them a lot. They were extremely easy to sign up with. My agent made sure I was taken care of and had everything on my policy I would actually need. I like their app also.

Karen Bach Mount Airy, GA

Have been a State Farm customer for more than 50 years. Top level and timely response every time for renters home-owners and vehicle coverage, even though using different agents in 5 cities of 2 different states. I understand that the premiums are not the cheapest, but after hearing complaints from friends and family regarding service from other companies, I maintain my stand that “You get what you pay for.”

Gary Aldous Boise, ID

They have been great to work with anytime I have had a claim. I have compared rates with other companies and State Farm’s is still the least.

Chef Mike Maucher Ocean City, NJ

I have been with State Farm for almost 20 years They always provide great service and reliability. they are a true partner and I never have any surprises

Flora Pickerington, OH

Great company overall. I had State Farm for 4 years . Left because of my agent’s behavior. Other than that they had good prices too. You can definitely shop around and compare quotes.

Lisa Huseby

We have had State Farm For 35 + years always have had great results on any claim . Love the people in the office always have answers to any questions.

Barbra Willis Overland, MO

Had State Farm for many years filed a few claims and they dropped me!!! I felt that all the money I put into the premiums didn't come close to the pay outs. They don't care about you just the money you generate and then they drop you when you file a claim.

Paula Greenfield, IN

Been with State Farm for many a years and have always been treated fairly and they have also taken care of any claims and or issues quickly! Would recommend to anyone.

Vernon Cox Wenatchee, WA

I have been with state fame for year I have both personal policies and commercial policies with state farm. I believe your insurance is only as good as your agent and I have a great agent.

April Simpson Charlotte, NC

I have State Farms for my Home Owner's Insurance. I received a very affordable rate and the customer service team and my agent communicated directly with my mortgage company during closing which saved me from doing that.

Ronald Hale Millington, TN

We have car and home policies with State Farm for quite awhile. Have made several claims over the years and never had a problem being resolved to our satisfaction. We are happy to stick with State Farm. Our agent, Pam B and her coworker Hope are both great!

Dee Belfast, ME

I have had homeowners & vehicle insurance through State Farm for 21 years. The people in my local office I work with are wonderful and available when I need them. Additionally, I have called the 24 hour line several times to change payment dates, to ask for a tow, and they have always been easy to work with.

Stoney Blazer Republic, MO

Been in business for so many years for good reason.Me and my family has been with State Farm since I can remember. I would never leave for any reason. There is a loyalty amongst them like no other. Always willing to work with us through hardships and any other problems. Never been let down by this company.

heidi m johnson Mt. Pleasant, SC

I had State Farm car insurance , also renter, and business insurance for years. I was pleased. They'er rates are good. I had one ticket my insurance didn't go up. No problems to speak of. I had an agent that would check on me to make sure I was good, or if I had any questions. He even wished me a happy birthday.

Ken Williams Dallas, TX

We had bad winds damaged a lot of our outside issues they was out the next day and paid the claim with in a week

Joseph Pagnani Hampton, NH

I am so happy with State Farm when I have a claim they do a great job getting it done as soon as the same day I would not go to Andy other comp.

Noureddine Lalami Oakley, CA

They have knowledgeable agents and the process claims in a timely manner. Rates are higher compared to what one may find at other insurance companies. Good customer service though.

gricel valdez AZ

State farm is all about the premium. You call customer service and they act like you should feel privilege for them to speak with you. God forbid you ask a question about your policy. They act like you should have already known the answer to that question. You could have known the answer to it if you had just read the policy. Paid to much money for a policy and was treated like an idiot to boot. Took my money elsewhere!

Terrell Tucker Bakersfield, CA

Very responsive and I like being able to visit a local office. Great agent and personal assistants are helpful. Claims are handled quickly and professionally.