Blue Cross Blue Shield is a renowned health insurance provider. With Blue Cross Blue Shield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

Blue Cross Blue Shield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance in specific regions and states. Blue Cross Blue Shield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BCBS has helped about 105 million people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

#1 Oscar chevron_right
3.3
#2 Ambetter chevron_right
#3 Cigna chevron_right
2.7

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance
  • Mobile App

Types of Plans Offered

Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plans are nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices. Coverage options range in every type-from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, thought the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

Blue Cross Blue Shield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BCBS also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan.

Blue Cross Blue Shield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans. Medicare Advantage plans offer the coverage of Medicare Parts A and B in a single health plan. To qualify for Medicare, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

The coverage and details of each of these plans depends partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BCBS draw up a list of potential plans for you.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some Blue Cross Blue Shield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. The BlueDental plans include access to a network of 140,000 dentists around the US. It covers the basics, including preventative care, fillings, crowns, and braces. There is no deductible for a dental checkup with this plan and no deductible for preventative care. The percentage of coverage, however, depends on your specific plan and the state you live in.

For vision insurance, the BlueVision plans are accepted at 3,000 retail locations around the US and function through VSP. Vision insurance here has the potential to save you 20 to 40 percent on your optometry bills. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through Blue Cross Blue Shield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance).

Member Resources

Blue Cross Blue Shield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. On the basic level, BCBS has a member portal with the capability of tracking your claims 24/7. There's of course a member-dedicated phone number you can call as well, and members can contact the company at any time of day if needed. Through the BCBS website, members can download any forms they need, such as for filing claims. Even potential members have the ability to get a quote of their coverage options before committing to the company.

As for advanced resources, members with Blue Cross Blue Shield plans have a lot to enjoy as well. BCBS goes above and beyond with their mobile app, to start out. While many health insurance companies have a mobile app just to access your patient portal, BCBS has one to help you find a doctor--both in terms of making sure a provider is in the BCBS network and in the sense that the app's GPS will give you directions to that facility.

The AskBlue tool is also worth mentioning. It's BCBS's tool for giving you detailed information about their health plans. Should you want more than basic information, you can just "Ask Blue" and get the prices, coverage points, deductibles, premiums, and more.

This is a great tool to compare plans and find the best one for you. Finally, BCBS cares about the education of its members and shows this by providing articles about health care-including the confusing terms in health insurance, the changing laws, and more. This makes you feel more informed about health and your insurance.

Unique Features

Blue Cross Blue Shield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BCBS insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find hospitals and doctors in-network. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these provides will be covered in part by this company.

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products, such as workout clothes, weight loss programs, hearing aids, and pedometers. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy.

BCBS also has tools like their mobile app and the AskBlue resource for finding out more about their health plans.

BCBS is also noted for being very involved in health-related causes in the community. Through associations with the American Diabetes Foundation, the YMCA, and the Make-a-Wish Foundation (again, just to name a few), BCBS has made a big difference in encouraging health and making healthier lives a reality.

The Blue Cross Blue Shield website is extremely detailed and full of resources for members and potential customers alike. For anyone who would benefit from it, they have general information about health care, health insurance, terminology, legal changes, and how all these factors affect people who need health insurance.

More specifically, though, through the website you can find answers to questions about actual health plans offered by BCBS. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

They answer frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail. Should all of these resources not be enough, though, BCBS provides phone numbers, an email address, live chatting, and even a 24/7 secure inquiry form that you can submit to the company for personalized answers.

In short, Blue Cross Blue Shield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. They are available 24/7 to members and have set up their customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BCBS is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan. It goes without saying that this convenience alone trumps the hassles of lesser-known insurance plans.

Mobile App

The BCBS mobile app is slightly different from other companies' apps. Their Find a Doctor app not only helps you identify a doctor or hospital you can use your insurance at; it literally helps you find the location with its GPS ability.

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BCBS and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. Prices are determined in part by location, which could work for or against you.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at Blue Cross Blue Shield. After all, the health insurer is large, provides coverage nationwide, and has such an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BCBS is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BCBS doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best health insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality Blue Cross Blue Shield offers.

Long story short, BCBS is still a recommended health insurance option. There are some regional differences with Blue Cross Blue Shield, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

3.5

NT
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

we had this insurance through my husband work for 3 years and when my son was diagnosed with cancer we couldn't add him on our insurance because of his new diagnoses. agents were very apologetic and tried everything they could to help us. they went over and beyond. prior to this we had no issue with BCBS. customer service was always a long wait time to speak too but at the end we always got our questions answered. monthly payments was expensive, for a family of 4 we were paying almost $650/family.

Tilda
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Coverage was great, and love that I can use them were ever I traveled in state.

Lesa Burgess
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Blue Cross Blue Shield is a great insurance company. I really thought they did their best with customer service and I felt my coverage was quite good. It was soooo expensive, but I feel like that's about normal for private health insurance anyway. Overall I would give them a good rating.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Growing up in KY we had Blue Cross Blue Shield and they were so great to work with. I ended up having my first child there and the coverage was so much more compared to other insurances back in Utah.

Becky Rasmussen
August 20th, 2018 American Fork, UT

We've used Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance for the past 3 years and it's the worst insurance we've ever had. They'll pay your bills......after you've been sent to collections for their lack of response to the medical provider of the past 9 months. You will have to contact their 3rd party provider over EVERY claim to verify that you weren't insured at work, in a car accident or on the premise of another responsible party. The plans offered through my husbands employer all had high deductibles and didn't cover our preferred hospitals or clinics. My husband recently left his place of employment seeking better healthcare services.

Bella Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

We had blue cross for many years until I switched jobs and it was no longer an option. They were always good to pay our claims in full and on time!

Carolynn
August 17th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

We had BCBS for one year and couldn't wait to switch health coverage. The billing and customer service were just horrible. It was such a hassle to get them to pay for things that they should of covered in the first place, and even with that I feel as if we paid way more out of pocket then we should have.

jordan cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have bluecross through work. I wish my individual plan was a little better but overall they have been good. Somtimes can be slow, especially because there was an issue with my wife having a second insurance.

Sarah
August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

I have found their customer service very helpful and responsive. I think their website could provide more details but overall I am pleased with their insurance.

Eric
August 2nd, 2018 Annandale, NJ

Good coverage with most doctors. Reasonable payment terms. As with other health insurance providers costs are high for healthcare coverage.

Cheryl Linden
August 1st, 2018 Cave Creek, AZ

high deductibles, they pay doctors quick;

Hannah Cummins
August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Blue Cross has great service, customer service, patient care and easy billing. The only negative thing is not being able to get some things covered as much as I would like (ex: chiropractic care etc.).

Anne Kimball
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have dealt with a lot of health insurance companies, but BlueCross Blueshield has always given exceptional service. I had another company for a time and had to check on every bill because the coding and billing was incorrect, while BlueCross Blueshield didn't get it wrong even one time! And if I ever had questions about what providers were participating, or anything else, they were always to kind and helpful. It was such a breath of fresh air.

Darci Jensen
July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I had great coverage including coverage for complimentary healthcare treatments.

Sonja Squyres
July 23rd, 2018 Ingleside, TX DETAILS

Between my monthly payment and my deductables i can barely afford the doctor visit!

MichaelDamico
July 23rd, 2018 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

Very positive experience. Fair negotiators and if there was more they could do, maybe a better wellness program with a more user friendly website.

Kimberley Hirt
July 23rd, 2018 Buena Vista, VA

Though the rates are higher than I would like, they do gave great coverage for my needs and have been fair when I needed extra medical care.

Tom Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY

We have had BlueCross for 7 years without any problems or errors on their part. They give prompt follow up on all bills and payouts and are pleasant to deal with on the phone if there is a question.

James B nelson
July 23rd, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

I have not been very happy with any insurer but BlueCross has come through when they had to. I have 33K of hospital bills that we argued about for 9 months and they finally paid. They don't cheat, but they try hard to minimize what they have to pay.

Cody Linden
July 19th, 2018 Lehi, UT

My family has used this company for health insurance for years now and we have always been satisfied with our coverage and the company has always been easy to work with as well.

Conrad Brian
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Started with them because it was what my employer contracted with. They provided a good service. Has got much more expensive as all insurance has.

Sharon Reed
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We had many kids covered by this insurance. The prices went up over time but the coverage was always great.

Rob C
July 19th, 2018 Montrose, CO DETAILS

I lost my job and had to deal with the death of my mother-in-law all at once - during this process I enrolled in my state Medicaid. However, as I didn't physically call in during a 3-4 day window to alert Anthem of this, I was charged 6x more than usual. To clarify, my $100 bill turned into a $600 bill because I lost my job and was required to use state benefits. The state benefits canceled the tax credits that made my insurance reasonably priced and I was billed the full amount. This is an obvious mistake, and yet I was given no resolution other than the personal promise from an agent that it wouldn't be sent to collections. I was met with no compassion or attempt at understanding from any of Anthem's representatives - even basic empathy for my issue was lacking, dead-air was abundant as I sat and wait for answers from unseen supervisor chats. Thank you Anthem for adding another layer of grief and stress to my life, genuinely. Coping with the death of a dearly loved family member, the loss of my livelihood and handling the numerous affairs required after death - now I can have this black cloud of debt to Anthem hanging over my head, with the knowledge that I'll have no choice to pay it once I get employment and stop state benefits. I would also like to note a very important fact - I had not used it at all for the month I was billed, and the month isn't even over yet as of this writing. I was told it could not be canceled until the next month. The optimist in me says, great! This addition to my incredible stress will help strengthen me even further, but in reality I know I've just had my arm twisted by a giant company yet again, and any calls to reason or humanity will fall upon deaf ears. I hope that whoever reads this has it further reinforced that Anthem and the culture surrounding its representatives is more concerned with your money than your well-being, and this personal horror story will steer you towards a different provider.

Sara Jane
July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS

The diagnostic approval could use some work. But aside from that, I am always a fan of BC/BS

Calista Huber
July 17th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I had BlueCross BlueShield growing up and as secondary insurance for a while as a young adult. I don't know what it's like now, but I always had great prescription benefits and copays!

Annmarie
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

More compassion when approving diagnostic testing

Dee Drew
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

I think it is good.The only thing I didn't like was that they canceled some items from coverage.

Germain B
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Bottom line to both questions.....Its hard to get referrals to get better answers. Most Docs want to give you drugs not double check.

Sally Theriault
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

They don't cover enough on prescriptions

Allie
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

My experience with blue cross hasn't been that great. I pay them every month and still have worthless coverage. That's why when I had Kaiser insurance I preferred them over blue cross. But now I no longer have Kaiser and now I'm stuck using Blue cross blueshield.

charlene dykes
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Easy and efficient customer service. Reps are friendly and helpful. No long waiting time for rep to answer phone calls. Online service easy to access.

MICHAEL TRUSTY
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

I pay nothing out of pocket for visits and hospital inpatient. I do pay the same premium as if I was still working.

Sarah
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

They are always looking out for me and my accounts

Richard A Kaniasty
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

I like their customer service and I wish I could work there. They are very knowledgable.

Cheryl M
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

They deny everything needed to help autistic children

Kathy Flores-Valle
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent insurance, great customer service.

Richard
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Blue Cross has been the best provider I have had for 30+ years. We had switched providers many times, but have always returned Blue Cross. The extra monthly payments have been worth the coverage and services.

C.B.
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Fabulous medical care for our entire family

Tamara
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Very expensive but very limited coverage and high premiums especially for private subscribers.

Beverly Ophoff
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

It would help if Oregon Blue Cross talked to Arizona Blue Cross. I got caught in the crossfire and no one wants to pay.

Joe
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Customer service is better than the benefits.

Scott

GREAT COMPANY, EXCELLENT PRODUCTS AND SERVICE

Patrick
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Good but could be better if deductibles were lower

Elizabeth Spunar
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

I have been with BC/BS for as long as I can remember. I have always had good medical care. Recently the company has changed. It's become more complicated and more expensive.

Robert Stultz
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Good experience, fair prices and they are not hard to get in contact with when a question arises.

Brian O'Neill
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

No problems with BCBS. Great customer service and great follow up.

Ed4Online
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

They are miserable to deal with. They are overpriced, under quality and will find every possible way to not pay for things.

Cynthia Hoover

Excellent. Reasonable dispute settlement._

Janice Tezack
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Lower deductible and lower the employee cost

Margie
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

I have had a positive experience with BCBS for the many years we have had it. As my health needs have changed thru the years, they have been a consistent provider there to take care of my needs.